Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mazdafoolmazdafool Member Posts: 4
    I purchased my Mazda6 left over on Sept. 11 th. I received my recalls (fule, rust-stain). I had the fule recall taken care of but I'm very worried about the rust recall. I do not see any signs as of yet. My car was built 6/03. Did anyone have this rust problem with this vintage built month/year? Also I'm very disapointed in all the negative feedback on this Mazda. So much so that I want out! Did anyone get any compensation from Mazda or their Dealer? Also do this qualify for Lemon Law?
    Please respond.
    Thanks
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    fule=Fuel.
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    I know this is a little bit late, but regarding message 12 of this thread by ruefus and his plug for cathodic protection systems for cars, it IS bunk.

A CP system CANNOT work as described by this product for the simple reason that for a CP system to work there must be present 4 things: an anode, a cathode, a metallic path and an ELECTROLYTE. The absence of any one of this items renders any CP system worthless.

Cathodic protection is highly effective in retarding corrosion in underground piping & storage tank systems, because they are underground (electrolyte), and have the other three components present. Cars drive on roads.

So, unless you plan on burying your car or keeping it under water, do not waste your hard-earned dollars on this bogus product. Trust me, I work in the industry.

Cheers,

Johnny
  • rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    I have seen very few badly stained/rusted cars while doing several of these recalls- however- some are so badly rusted that it will cause big problems down the road on cars that didnt get caught or repaird properly.....
  • arockwelarockwel Member Posts: 33
    You want out because of some problems others are having, but not you specifically? You want to invoke the Lemon Law for your specific car, of which there are no problems that aren't being handled by the recall? Is that what you're asking?
  • cheesehead6cheesehead6 Member Posts: 68
    Thanks for the observations.

When did you go synthetic? I plan on doing my first change at 900-1000 to clear the crap out. Should I keep the Motorcraft oil in for one more cycle before going to synthetic? I too will go synthetic. Even if the added punch in the 2.3 is an illusion--well, sometimes perception is more important than reality :)

The 6i cartidge system worries me a lot. My local garage, run by two guys in their 60s, were amazed, AMAZED, that Mazda went back to this. They remember working on these cartidge filter systems years ago. I know that some Ford products use this engine but with a spin-on filter. I've been watching the other board, where some people report their dealers warned them of possible warranty problems if they switched to the spin-on (which seems to be perfectly feasible technically). I still can't figure out what Mazda's problem is with going this route.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    ... I switched at 1250 to Mobil 1 0W20 Syn, then 6250, 11250 ad infinitum ;)

I'd say 90% or more of the wearing/running in has occurred by this time (first 1000 or so) and you can safely switch to a *slightly* thinner and freer flowing synthetic, with much better overall protective and temperature properties.

Of course, if you have access to a garage, ramps etc, and don't mind the few extra $, ANOTHER 1000 mile oil cycle with cheaper semi-syn (Motorcraft or the excellent Castrol GTX 5W20) would not be a bad idea. An extra half hour of work doing the change, $6 worth of oil, and a $8-10 expense towards filter cartridge and gaskets.

As for the cartridge - yeah - it SUCKS. But the little Allen-Wrench nut-enabled drain hole on the bottom is nice to minimize mess. Make sure you replace BOTH oil gaskets - the big one inside the cartridge holder, and the little one behind the Allen Nut.

And analysis of the oil by Blackstone laboratories at the 6250 mark (removal of first syn) was excellent, and got better at the 11250 mark. So the filter can handle the 5K OCI when used in conjunction with Mobil 1 oW20. And I dno't baby the car - trust me on that ;)

ps: addendum: the filter looked TERRIBLE with metal shavings inside at 1200ish miles, so don't let the oil sit in there much longer. I strongly disagree (and not merely on principle) witht he 7500 (or 5000) OCI recommended by manufacturers, at least for the frst oil change! The next filter looked much better at 6250, and almost flawless (except the color - all oil blackens within 500 miles) at 11250.
    Other discussions elsewhere allude to the possibility of retro-fitting the Mazda 3s spin-on adapter to the 6i, seeing as it is the SAME ENGINE! So there is hope. But no ones been brave enough to make the change YET. And no dealer will do it, of course!

Reduces one step, but I actually like being able to see the ACTUAL filter element and gauging how the filter/oil/car behaved during the preceding interval. Of course, you can hack and cut open a normal metallic filter and look at it too - but its MORE work ;)
    Thanks for all this. I will do another change at 2k with Motorcraft at the dealer and then go synthetic.

Mazda does say on its website that it's not recommended. I hope there's no danger to the warranty in going synthetic. Is there?

I used to do all my own oil changes, tune-ups etc. myself. Did all that for a long timel but after losing one too many screws down the engine compartment and being reduced to furious rages I decided to give it up for good. I get to keep my blood pressure down, my wife no longer has to pick pebbles out of my back and someone gets to take home a paycheck. Everyone's a winner...
    Fair enough - the 6i is a pain to get the oil change process going. The plastic panel under the engine is massive and held in by 7 bolts and one temperamental and squirmy plastic locking screw gizmo.

If you can find a place that'll change the oil for you with your raw materials (oil, filter, gasket) and you trust 'em, it might be an easy out! Make sure to tell them not to over-torque the filter cartridge or the drain plug, and also to not manhandle the cartridge during removal - its hard molded plastic and may be prone to gouging or rounding off of the surface, necessitating replacement down the line.
    ... I'm reproducing my post from another (Mazda 3) Care and Maintenance forum here on Edmunds in the hope of
    - allaying fears people have about the use of synthetic oil and
    - convincing you folks to get early first oil changes
    - Also, hopefully, more 6i owners will be convinced to perform Analyses of their Used Oil to add to the database of info that's starting to become available on the internet.

I would ignore the recommendation to wait a long time before oil changes (I did)

I would also ignore the suggestion to run dino oil for many thousands of oil before switching to synth. (I did)

I would also ignore the suggestion to flush before switching oil brands (I did)

My 6i went from the stock Motorcraft semisynthetic 5W20 that is factory filled, to Mobil 1 0W20 at 1250 miles, and (every) 5000 miles ever since. Better mileage, better wear (as proved by Used Oil Analyses performed each oil change since), better cold starts and idling, quicker smooth warmups, smoother revving in the high rev band.

Of course, all these improvements could be just an effect of the engine running in nicely, but I like to attribute it to the oil. Experts (those who analyzed the oil) and also people in the oil business (at various oil discussions) have (attributed it to the oil). Very, very impressive wear-in numbers for a small block, aluminium 4-cylinder, apparently.

First UOA: http://www.therealashu.com/auto/mazda6/UOA/uoa_11_4_03.pdf
    Second UOA: http://www.therealashu.com/auto/mazda6/UOA/uoa_2nd_2_23_04.pdf

Blackstone Laboratories do a great job, for $20 a pop. I'd love to be able to compare the wear and running-in numbers from more 6i's.

PS: Yeah - the lab folks don't ever sound TOO enthusiastic about good numbers - its a legal thing I guess. Other oil discussion fora, on the other hand, have been very impressed. Especially considering the fact that I do NOT baby my car and it sees redline and quick shifts quite often.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    makes me want the 3.0L even more. hehe
  • mccullochbmccullochb Member Posts: 12
    After the 6th visit to my dealer and the 3rd PCM replacement we were told by Mazda Tech this should take care of the repeat CEL's on my car. UMMMMMMMMM NOOOOOOOO!!! 3 1/2 weeks later and for the 7th month in a row the CEL came on. This time my dealership spoke with Mazda Corporate and told them they cannot fix the car. In the meantime my paperwork from the attorney generals office finally made it to corporate and to the dealership.......Mazda corporate called me yesterday to FINALLY offer me a substitution of collateral.....meaning a replacement car....if they can find one. I'm happy with this but also worried, if they can't fix the one I have...what's to say I'm not going to continue to have issues with the new one...I've seen so many postings on this. Here's the other option....if they can't find a 2003 I may be able to work out a deal on a 2004.....does anyone know if they are having any issues with that model......or if they're are any major changes in design etc. I apologize but I haven't looked at the 2004...since my car was only 10 months old.....didn't think I'd be looking for another one so soon. Help is appreciated on this one :)
    This is obviously a weird one-off problem that everyone (especially Mazda) will benefit from analyzing after taking your car apart.

You've saved yourself a year's worth of depreciation for your troubles, and get a brand new piece of an awesome car! What's wrong with that?

And where do you see a lot of posts about people getting repetitive CELs? I say one or two owners have this issue. On the whole - this is such a brilliant car to own and drive. I actually have to be talked OUT of driving to lunch everyday, and riding, instead, in one of my colleagues' cars!
    I'd hold out for one that matches (or beats) the equipment on yours - that way you might get an 04. ;)
  • rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    do you have any info as to which code(s) were being recorded each time? was it the same code over and over? replacing a pcm is a last gasp effort usually, as mazda does not have a lot of pcm issues (that cant be repaired with a flash). replacing the pcm 3 times is ludicrous. You might want to find another dealer......
  • raleighncmazdaraleighncmazda Member Posts: 7
    I have CEL problems (4) during the last 6 months. I finally decided to talk to an attorney and invoke the Lemon Law. This car looks good, but I am just tired of going to the dealer so frequently. Has anyone had been contacted by Mazda for re-purchasing? What price did you get back? Is there any depereciation for mileage?
  • moose54moose54 Member Posts: 20
    Look at messages 61 and 65 about using synthetic oil.
    Thanks for this, Moose.

It's one thing to say it's merely not recommended. It's another thing to say it will void the warranty. If this was an e-mail directly from Mazda, I guess one ought to take it seriously. I'm wondering if others have had the same response regarding implications for warranty--whether the company line remains the same whoever inquires. From what I hear, the Motorcraft oil is pretty high quality stuff if one continues to use it.
    Ashutoshsm ---I'm sorry to say this is NOT a one-off problem with Mazda. There are several people with the same issues that I am having. Try looking at the MazdaWorld.org site. You'll find plenty of others facing the same thing. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the car. But you too would be very upset if you were in your dealership every 3 1/2 to 4 weeks with no definitive fix on your new car. It gets old real quick.
    Yes, the codes have been 2404, P0300, (P0346 no one knows what this is...they are calling it a phantom code), P2107, (P2778 another phantom code which is baffling Mazda). Supposedly by replacing the PCM and doing all of the latest upgrades (29.2 & 29.3), it should have taken care of the problem.....NOPE it came on again Saturday....this time the dealership called corporate direct. I have no idea what the latest codes are. I'm happy that they are getting me a new car...but if they can't find one like mine...blue, fully loaded...then they were saying possible a 2004. Like I said yesterday....I was curious to know of any changes made etc. to that model. That's basically what I was looking for input on. Thanks for all of your reponses.
    raleighncmazda --- I went through the attorney general's office in MI and started there....but you really need to contact Mazda Consumer Compliance in writing. This is the only way you will get someone from Corporate to work with you on your case. I know you are frustrated....trust me, I'm still dealing with it, but they are really trying to make things right as soon as they are made aware of the issue. If Mazda cannot find the same car and we can't come to a deal on the 2004 model, then yes they will be repurchasing it from me....less the mileage useage fee per the MI laws. You'd have to check and see what the law states in NC. I hope this helps.
    I'm on EVERY single M6 forum known to man (or woman) at least in north America, and while I don't post links to other fora, I've seen the occasional post about CEl issues.

I still say its a one-off issue, and a new car will make you happy (unless you're one of those unlucky sods who gets hit by lightning repeatedly!)

And props on getting a fully loaded blue - that's the only way to go ;) Of course, on an i with MT!
    Thanks for your advice mccullochb: My attorney sent a letter to corporate Mazda and they contacted the dealer. My car will be in the shop until they determine if they can fix it or not. I am hoping I can settle this issue soon as driving a Buick Sabre is not the best experience.

I disagree with ashutoshsm regarding the spread of this problem. There at leat 20 cases of Mazda 6 with CEL problems in my area. The same problem is reported for RX6 as my attorney is representing other Mazda owners dealing with the same issues.
    I wish you the best of luck. Ever since Mazda offered to replace collateral....my dealership has been in contact with me every other day. They don't sit on this once it hits that level, this I can assure you. Said I should have my new vehicle within a few weeks. That I can live with if it means not having to deal with the issue any longer.
    I don't have the time or energy to argue with ashutoshsm over who's right or wrong as to the seriousness of the CEL issue. I know it's very real for me and that's what matters. I am taking the necessary steps to get a resolution. If he's not having issues...I am happy for him ....enjoy the car, I know I would be. What he must realize is that there are plenty of us that are dealing with it and we are posting these more frequently -- the trips to the dealership service department are proof enough.
    Does anyone know if there's a place where you can get lemon stats - like the number of lemons by manufacturer? Seems like it would be fun to look at. Of course this would probably be for cars that were bought back, so those companies that resist replacing cars would be under-represented.
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    I got my Consumer Reports Annual Auto Issue yesterday.

The 6 is "Much Better Than Average" for its first year. That's better than the Accord (also in its first year for this refresh) and nearly all the other cars in its class.

So not everybody is having problems!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I would like to clarify something that consumers often dont realize when their car is in for service...and why things can change once mazda corp or any other mfg gets involved.....often multiple fixes for the same problem are not due to the dealers ineptness...but the dealer is required to follow mazda's fix steps one step at a time. the mfg will say try this first and see if it works and send the customer on their way, when they come back with the same problem the mfg will say try step two and so on....This is to keep mazda's warranty costs down. Often the dealer knows this may or may not fix the problem but the dealer is hancuffed. If we don't follow the steps, as required, we will not get paid for the warranty work. Our poster above noticed how attentive the dealer is now that mazda is involved...its because the dealer can now do the job without going step by step. Almost all mfg go by this exact model. Otherwise warranty costs can get way out of hand.

Hope this helps.
    I know some love to gloat about a problem mazda may have..so I'm going to mention this....

National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration announced it had received reports of vehicles suddenly surging forward and causing approximately 30 accidents. The vehicles under scrutiny are the Toyota Camry, Camry Solara and the Lexus ES300. The models affected are from the model years 2002 and 2003. Toyota confirmed the investigation.
  • oskwioskwi Member Posts: 88
    Saw the same report and chuckled to myself. I had considered a Camry this past summer, BUT, after reading mentions of these surges even on Edmunds, I ran from Toyota. Still love my Mazda...wanted a 6, but got the Protege!
    I have enough problems controlling my "intended" acceleration.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    13,889 flawless miles on my 03 6s AT.

Sorry,
      Mark.
  • iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    How can I contact you for some Mazda info?
    I think toyota builds pretty good cars, boring but good....but my point was that nobody is immune from quality glitches and some handle them better than others....Im glad you went with the Mazda. Enjoy.
    I think my email is now avaiable on my profile.
    The CEL problem is escalating out of control for Mazda6 and RX8s all around the country. The number of Lemons law suits is equally increasing and the best solution seems to be a massive recall to replace all the defective computers.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    is due to software issues.
    Mazda has released software upgrades and from reliable sources it has been known that most dealers have not updated their PCM reflash units with those upgrades. how is one supposed to fix the CEL issue without upgrading the software?

I have for example, a CEL that appears every now and then. I don't even care about it since I know it is for "cylinder misfire". The guys who designed the error detection software simply kept the tolerances too tight. I have never FELT a misfire, but still have a CEL. The nearest dealer apparently does not have the latest upgrades.

Who gives a damn about that CEL.
    I just enjoy my car.
    Chikoo-- May be having CEL on your instrumenmt panel is not importnat to you, but I believe that if you paid for a new car, you should get all the quality and reliability of a new automobile.

I do care about wasting my time going five times to the dealer.. they have overlooked my concern and now they have to deal with my attorney.

This massive problem will affect every Mazda6 owner as the sale price of the used Mazda6s will decrease due to these frequent problems. Who want to buy a car with a potential to become a Lemon.
    lets not turn this into hysteria....nothing is escalating out of control.
  • r2s2r2s2 Member Posts: 93
    "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

-- Chicken Little
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    if you want to dump your mazda, just say so. we are not your car dealer, nor your attorney.

don't hide behind the "insignificant" CEL issue and misguide others.
  • livaudaislivaudais Member Posts: 55
    I have never had a CEL light.

CL
  • mazdafoolmazdafool Member Posts: 4
    Only have 5000 miles on my 6 and have been to the dealer many times for a "drift" problem in the steering. This will be the 3rd time to fix that one. Also have a "burnt" smell coming from under the hood. The last time I was in and told them about the smell they said there was oil left on the exhaust pipe from the last oil change. Yeah right! that oil change was at 1000 miles! Any way I have not had the rust problem recall taken care of. I still need to address the brake noise when you pull into a parking spot. I have had enough! Contacted my Lawyer and he said continue to document and keep bringing the car back for the same problem they cannot fix. 3 times on the same problem and we have a case. Has anyone gone this route? Please let the tired Mazda owner know. Thanks!
    You are in the right path. Documentation is the key. Three strikes and they are out!!
    Please do not get me wrong. I do like the style and performance of the Mazda6, but I am not happy with the one I am paying for.
  • redfiremetalredfiremetal Member Posts: 2
    CEL light came on (for the second time - no reason?) after the reflash was done on the recall - it didn't come on before the reflash. When I called (Friday morning) the dealer was too busy for me to bring it in, so I have to wait until tomorrow (Monday). When I take it in, I'll mention, for the third time, the brake noise coming from the RF when the steering is turned off-center. I'd giving the Service Advisor the P/N for the replacement clip and he said he'd pass it on to the tech (but he didn't). From what I've seen, the clip doesn't resolve the problem. Does anyone have any further info on the "fix"? In the mean time, the CEL light has now gone off.
  • cop414cop414 Member Posts: 68
    To audia8q-
    From your profile I inderstand you are a dealer mngr. If you could find the time to review my posts 925, 926, and 960. I have been having a clutch "judder" for about 8 months now. It feels like my front tires are actually hopping at times. I can never duplicate it for the dealer and have been told by several persons that Mazda is aware of the problem and a fix is on the way. I contacted Mazda through the 800 number and was told by the person that I talked to that they had no other reported problems and knew nothing about a fix. I have had at least one other owner contact me via email from my posting on this board with the same problem.
    Mazda told me to go to another dealer for a "second opinion". I contacted my next closest dealer and they advised that I should return it to the first dealer until I'm satisifed. Mazda is sending me to a second dealer, the second dealer is sending me back to the first dealer... it's getting pretty aggravating.
    Otherwise the car has been perfect. (Once I myself fixed the brakes for the squealing problem.) Thanks in advance for any help.
  • karyakartakaryakarta Member Posts: 17
    Hello all Mazda 6 owners

I am just writing to find out how much Mazda dealers are charging for a regular oil change across the united states. I live in Irvine (southern california) and the dealer nearby charged about $24.95 plus tax for an oil change and you will also get a complimentary carwash and some inspections on tire pressure, fluids, etc. They use Volvoline 10W-30. I just want to know whether I am paying too much for an oil change at Mazda dealers here. Plus, do anybody know about the 15,000 miles service (this is recommended for every 15,000 miles interval). The dealer here is asking for $59.99 plus tax. Basically, they change your oil, wash your car, change the transmission fluid, change the steering wheel fluid, change glow plugs if necessary, rotate tires, and tune the engine.

In addition, what is the recommended interval for an oil change. According to the manual, Mazda recommends owners to change oil every 3000 miles. Since I like my car a lot and wants to give it the best treatment as possible, I always change my oil at every 3500 miles. I have also seen a few of my friends change their oil at every 5000 miles interval. May you kindly share your opinion on this.

May I also know if there is any Mazda 6 owners who installs cold air intake on their car. There are many brands of cold air intake you can find on ebay and they cost from $170-230 depending on the brand. May I know whether they really improves your performance significantly or is it only a waste of money.

Your comments will be deeply appreciated.
  • chronobchronob Member Posts: 22
    Hello, audio8q! Quick question for you. Has your dealership received any information on the clutch shudder/chatter problem with the 6? thanks!
    I looked on the mazda tech site and they show nothing...also our shop has not had any consumers with the shudder complaint.
  • chronobchronob Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for getting back to me so fast! I'm not sure how widespread the problem is, but it's definitely out there. We're not allowed to post links to other Mazda forums, but there have been many posts in other places of people experiencing clutch shudder/chatter with the 6.

One other quick question, is there a Mazda technical hotline available to the public? Thanks!