Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3

Comments

• eteaetea Member Posts: 30
    http://www.le9.ca/~edm/new2.jpg

I was drooling when I saw that pictures of several forums... but now that I see the other Mazda3 hatchback... I am very very very dissapointed. It looks OK for an european car, but the back could be one of the many cheap cars you see in UK/europe or a firefly..

What is the other picture I have then? A photoshop prototype that made its way all over the place?

Guess I have to shop for another car, now that Mazda totally missed the point with the 3 IMHO.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    The 3 sedan is not what I like either. Too raised, almost like a Corolla.

The 3 wagon/HB on the other hand looks good.

If you look carefully at the silver onew you posted and open in a second window the blue pic we have, you will notice both silver and blue wagons are identical, except for a POSSIBLE difference in the front bumper. Look at the glass and body panels starting from the rear and go to the front of the car one by one.

The fron bumper MAY appear different because of the different picture shot...

Dinu
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I'd buy that one.
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    We need to wait around for the offical pictures from mazda. The picturfes that we have seen are NOT offical.
  • wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    I totally agree with panamaltd2. I'm sure that even the pics from AutoBild have some degree of photoshop.

I really can't wait till the Geneva auto show (just 3 more weeks to go). Even if the production car itself isn't revealed there, at minimum, Mazda's gotta show some sort of Mazda3 concept there (like how they had a Mazda2 concept car last year).
  • carspy01carspy01 Member Posts: 137
    The pictures I posted from "AutoBild" are official, trust me. Reasons:
    1) Sales start of the 3 in Europe in fall this year.
    2) The license plate. It's the German license plate, starting with LEV for Leverkusen, the city near Cologne, where official Mazda Germany vehicles are registered.
    I wasn't saying that is not what the sedan is going to look like. I actually think the blue sedan is going into a turn which makes the body appear higher than the wheels. Official pictures usually show the true styling character of the car better than these "spy" shots.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I don't think anyone's really doubting that those pics may be the real European Mazda3 ... but I think the point may be (at least my point is) that the NORTH AMERICAN Mazda3 may not look exactly like that. I mean, take a look at the Protege5 here in the States and then take a look at the version sold in Japan. Different bumpers, lights, etc. And that can make for a wholly different looking car. I really, truly believe the rear end of the Mazda3 for NA is not going to look like the rear end in the Autobild foto.

Meade
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I really like the Sedan better: It looks like a combonation of VW and an Italian Car all in one. The Wagon with the front end looks kind of dis-proportionate. I like the current Pro 5 alot in the color blue. You wonder if Mazda's designs are going to be kind of "ruined" now because their using Ford platforms and Ford likes alot of room in their cars. Mazda's not a car company that focuses in giving apple headroom in a car: the bigger the car the less sporty its going to be and "Sporty" is Mazda strength.
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    The Protege has traditionally been the roomiest car in its class, and definately the most comfortable for me (at 6'5"). The '6 has a HUGE trunk. Mazda makes roomy cars, they just don't drive like they're big. Mazda calls their interior design 'opti-space' because they put room where it's needed. What a stupid name.
    don't you find the back looks a bit like a Chevrolet Cavalier? (I have the M2K in mind)

I especially referring to the trunk.. the rest is very VW.
    Meade

P.S. My Protege has more than enough headroom for me AND my apples.

:D
    In 2002 Mazda showed a very near production Mazda2 concept vehicle in Geneva. They're doing the same this year with the Mazda3. Here's the press release with picture of the hatch:

http://www.mazda.com/publicity/public/200302/0217ae.html
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Ugh! IMO
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    That is beautiful!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    To these old eyes, it looks like something the brilliant Richard Teague would have designed for Mazda. It is reminescent of the AMC Gremlin. Teague designed for American Motors.
    That's not the actual car I hope. It looks like the clay model.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Very nice looking - what the Matrix could have been.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    I like it. Looks like an RX8 crossed with a 6. Nice upgrade from the Pro5.

Might be a better option than a 6 hatchback for some folks.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    reminds me a bit of what a Z4 4 dr. hatch might look like.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    Whether or not the sedan looks like a cross b/t a Corolla & Jetta, or the hatch looks like a Vibe or Euro Corolla 5-dr, it really doesn't matter. 'cause a car w/ (good) Euro-suspension/steering (from Focus II) & everything else (engine, electrical, factory...) Japanese is FINALLY here. It's about time! I can see tears in our eyes. Imagine, you can sit high like the new Corolla or SUVs w/ the steering of a true sports car & the ride comfort of a decent European sedan. All at the cost & reliability of a Japanese compact.

Mazda6 may handle well enough to compete w/ Europe's best (i.e., BMW 3-series) but still behind in ride comfort. I know, the combined effort of Ford (Focus II) & Mazda still cannot produce a quiet small car, but everything else is hard to beat. VW is catching up 'cause they hired the Focus suspension designer to do the rear suspension of the next Golf/Jetta (& even Passat), which will be introduced starting about the same time as the new 3. I expect the Jetta to be quieter, but not sure if the lack of steering feel will be remedied. & VW should be less trouble free even if it's made in Germany. VW claimed that its new rear suspension will be more compliant than Focus'. We'll see if the Focus II-based 3 will beat it.

To Mazda: Please don't give me that close-ratio 5-sp anymore. I've had it since 1990 in my Protege LX. It may be useful on the track, but in everyday commuting.... Just give me a wide ratio or 6-sp or make the 5-sp dual range like the early '80 Mitsu Colt (4x2 sp) so that the top sp is achieved on 4th gear in normal mode & 5th in sport mode. Please allow the biggest-displacement engine (2.3) available w/ the regular (more comfortable) suspension. VW & BMW offer big engines w/ comfy suspension. That 2.3 isn't that torquy anyway. Hopefully the stability-control is available and will not be set too conservatively. Then just add the dust & charcoal filter, the car should be complete. & don't throw in the big turning circle like the 6!
    You know Mazda has more in common with VW than the rest of their Japanese Competitors? Weird isn't it? The Jetta has a really spotty reliability record. The 3 offers you good build quality and good value for your money. How much better can you get? The 6 starts off at 20K with 4 cylinder auto and it comes with Japanese reliability to boot. How much better can you get? Unless you bring up the Honda Accord into the situation.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    Compare to Mazda6, even the sportiest Accord (Acura TSX) is still more boring in handling, according to the British magazines. Other than that, I can't criticize the Accord much, especially when Car & Driver criticized the 6 being noisier and still lacking suspension travel to handle deeper bumps despite already being more firmly tuned to "sacrifice" ride on shallower bumps.

So I expect:

Both the Accord & the 3 to ride better than the 6.

Both the 3 & the 6 to handle better than the Accord.

Accord to beat both the 3 & the 6 in quietness.

The 3's smaller length & turning circle making both the 6 & Accord seem awfully clumsy & wasting time in tighter maneuvres & therefore hurting some fun factor too.

So, who's the winner? ;-)
    Ditto - who cares about the extra .1 of a second that the close ratio saves when going to 60 mph, when you have to live with the noise and excess fuel consumption when cruising. Maybe I am an expeption, but I spend far more time cruising in top gear than I do drag racing. Add a 6th gear that is really relaxed.

A Corolla cruises at 2200 rpm at 60 mph with a 5 speed. That is where the Mazda should be.
  • mazdanymazdany Member Posts: 28
    I kinda like it. Took some getting used to at first but I adjusted fine. Gives my protege better passing power when I down shift. Heck there are time when I don't even have to downshift and I still get enough to pass pretty quickly. What I do wish for the 3 is a 6 speed. It'll keep the car quieter for highway cruising. Figure if there is a six speed it would be in the top trim.
    Yeah it looks like a 5-door Z4 hatchback especially because the car does not look anything like a Z4 at all. Good comparison.
    I've heard November 03 in the hatch forum, while some talk of January 04.

Any news on that?
    So I will find out (hopefully).

Dinu
    so what does it look like then, smart aleck?
    The front looks like a cross between the Mazda2 and the Mazda6. While I hear the rest takes many cues from the new RX-8. Plus there is a little VW Jetta thrown in here and there. A Z4 (hideous car) this is not.
    Article:

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=42539

"CEO Charlie Hughes says most of the ad budget is going toward three product launches - the Mazda6, which replaces the 626 and Millenia; the RX-8 sports car, due this summer as a 2004 model; and a third new vehicle, which he declined to identify."

The 3rd vehicle being the Mazda3 around the December timeframe?

As an aside, Autobild reports that the Mazda3 will go on sale in Germany in Oct '03.

I still think that we (as in Canada) won't get it till calendar year '04.
    WELL TOO BAD I DISAGREE.
    Wow, ok cool, you can disagree as much as you want.
    Maybe it would help if you'd tell us what you're disagreeing *about*?

Meade
    Wow, ok cool, you can disagree as much as you want.

I disagree.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    What are we disagreeing about? ;p
    "can't we all just get along"

kumbaya.......kumbaya.....

let's make a peace chain!
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    design and should fill the bill for many who can't decide between a sedan, a MPV, or a station wagon. It has nice lines and I love the grey, much nicer to live with than the Steel Grey on the 6, which is too close to black.

Meade, you are the wordsmith, is it "an MPV" or "a MPV?"

I also like the high-gloss "piano black" center stack cover as opposed to Titanium. But hope the dash top is grained, soft-touch material to reduce glare.

The Mazda2 interior may give you a clue as to the deisgn of the 3's dash. Very plain in order to make it feel open and spacious.

The photo has been heavily retouched and may be the clay model. Look at the fog lights -- too much light on the facia to be a true photograph with no editing.

Obviously, Mazda's design is getting away from the sedan look and forging new directions in utility and comfort. It probably won't accomodate a bass fiddle, but you could get a lot of violens in there. And the hood's lines are much better than on the sedan version (shown in blue). That version is a take-off of the MPV hood.

The sedan turns me off completely. Too chunky, it looks like it was scrunched between a rearender and a wall.

The problem with wagons and vans, for some people, is when you aren't utlilizing the cargo space you are driving a box on wheels. With the 5-door HB you have a sport sedan with the utility of a wagon.

fowler3
    a Mazda3, an M3. Spelled out, "M" would be "ehm", starting with an "e", hence the article preceding the word would be "an".
    I subscribe to the stretchesje train of thoughts on this one.

Dinu
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Says nothing about any new production Mazdas at Geneva. Me thinks there was some inaccurate info out there.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    will not be debuted at Geneva. But the Audi 3 being debuted there has that current trendy look of a sedan with SUV overtones (boxy, bulgy hood, little or no defined trunk space) - a look I very much do not like! And a look I'm afraid I see in the Mazda3 sedan photos seen here so far.

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2003/geneva/preview/audi-a- - - 3/index.html
    "An MPV."

We are using the acronym as a formal name here -- just as we do when we say "an FBI sting operation" or "an MBA from Harvard" or "an NBA All-Star."

Meade
    The look is called a "hatchback" and that A-3 is georgeous, as is the new Mazda3.
    AMEN!
    For bringing back the hatch!!!

O Hatchback, I've missed ye dearly ...

Meade
    Practical and if it continues the Mazda trend, a blast to drive.

Dinu