Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Sedan

Comments

• caesarslegioncaesarslegion Member Posts: 109
    The cool thing is that the weight is about the same with my tracer (2355 lbs) but I get more hp out of a smaller engine. I cant wait till the chevy dealer near me starts to put them on the lot. I will have to get the aveo with a slush box because of the city driving to get to my new job but dont see any problem considering the tracer is 88 hp and the aveo will be 103 hp. I will definitely look into the value package. It just might leave me enough money to buy a winter beater :)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    go to the 4th picture down and click on it to enlarge it. Did or did not Daewoo do a great job designing the taillight cluster on that car? That looks good in part because they sloped the entire rear end downward, out towards each side, which includes the taillight cluster on both sides. That is good design, the type of design that I rely on from the South Korean car desigers(yeah, Daewoo ships their design work out to Pinanfari or ItalDesign from time to time, to the benefit of Daewoo). A fine job, Daewoo!

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/news/newsarticle.html?&id=DAE&a- mp;a- mp;doc=dae0111221

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Nice! keep this in mind though that this is the Australian version of the car. The Kalos Dream Edition can also be found throughout Asia, with a nicer interior, MOMO steering wheel, and some other cosmetic changes. Oh, if only Chevy took this car instead!!! Still, the Chevy Aveo still seems pretty good, except for that warranty. :\
    one doesn't get as good as treatment on the rear end as the Australian version. The warranty is weak, also, especially when it is compared to the Long-Haul from HyunKia.

Tail light cluster is nice but the engine bay is even better. I called my local friendly chevy dealer on Saturday to get more info on the arrival of the aveo and I had to go through 3 sales people because they had no idea what I was talking about lol. For the warranty being short makes you a little angry when kia/hyundai is much longer but from what I understand this motor is tried and true. Im still waiting for the test drive so Ill keep you informed. Im hoping before Christmas.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Why did you show us what could have been! The interior of the kalos dream is so much nicer than the light gray we are going to get. I think we are yet again being ripped off.
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    i eventually found that the aveo is indeed available with abs. i found it listed in the middle of the brochure rather than the end spec page i was looking for it on. i guess it remains on my list after all! :)
    drive and/or buy this handsome little car imported for Chevrolet, OK?

• regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    saw one today. didn't get close but the car looks nice in person. want to see the interior now. Doesn't look like a cheap car, just a small one.

good job, Daewoo.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I've seen 2 or 3 of them now. It's a very decent little bargain car.
    I wanna see one, too! =;)

only for a moment though.
    maybe i should drive one. my gm card is racking up $$$$ having to buy things for the new house.
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    edmunds already shows aveo with a $1000 rebate good until january 12 in my area! the gm card limits the redemption allowance to $1000, but that is a quick $2000 off an already very affordable car.
    DAMN GM. Any GM car I seem to want you can't use the card on.....

9-3

Aveo

oh but no problem if I want a Grand Am.
    molded quasi-race car! I don't know about Pontiac, everything Grand Am-GTO-ish I see from them elicits a fast yawn and not much else. They'll gladly take a higher dollar for one of those that they're worth too. That's what is cool about Aveo-small but nice and nice looking for a more reasonable price.

Why? You can use it on Aveo up here??

Only up to $1000 though.
    Does anyone here own an Aveo yet?? I'd like to here input from ya'll. :)
    1000 limit. apparently. too bad.
    $1000-1500 is the limit on all smaller cars with the GM card here now (as of Jan 1 03). Like all points cards they seem to have scaled back, we only get 3% now vs 5% last year. I figure once I get to $2500 I can stop and use another card as I can't afford cars that allow any more than that anyway.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I saw 5 Aveo Special Value cars sitting in the back lot of an Enterprise Rent A Car lot. Driving out of the Toys R Us from holiday shopping and saw them- parked there. Two blues, two reds and one white.
  • allosaballosab Member Posts: 2
    I love the Aveo! I bought one last week! After test-driving the Kia Rio, I understand why Kia offers such a long warranty: without it they'd lose all their customers because it doesn't drive well at all!! The Aveo is surprisingly solid for its price. It reminds me of the zippy European cars I adored while I lived in France, but Korean-made. It offers a smooth and reliable ride, which is something I couldn't say about the Kia Rio. Absolutely lovely driving machine!
    is your Aveo a automatic or standard transmission? If you dont mind I was wondering what you paid for the car. $12k? Or did you get the value package?
    a few questions if you don't mind:
    What transmission did you get?
    What transmission was the Rio?
    What was your out the door price???
    Which trim line did you get???
    What was the sticker price of the Rio?
    Congratulations on the new Aveo! I, too, am curious what line did you get. Daewoo's also remind me of the small Euro cars because many of their cars are designed in Europe and sell better in Europe than other brands. I see too many Matiz minicars in UK than anywhere! Hope your Aveo runs well!
    I guess it's waking up to some positive reviews here on the edmunds board. Congrats on the new Aveo, allosab!
  • avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    Glad to hear you are enjoying your Aveo allosab. My brief drive in a Rio left me thinking that it had a sporty feel with good steering and nice handling. The problem was that the Rio did not handle large bumps well. It would be good if the Aveo suspension was better at handling bumps, as there are bad roads where I live. One thing about the special value package, It seems that A/C is not avaiable as an option.It that is the case it seems crude that Chevy would offer that package, that doesn't seem special. What is the value of a car without A/C. Also, the base model only adds A/C and floor mats, but that makes the price of the A/c seem pretty high.If the special value is really not availble with A/C, someone needs to drive a car in the summer heat and humidity in the rain with windows up and see how much sense that makes.
    Does anybody think Edmunds might compare the two?
    The options for the SVM trim of the Chevrolet Aveo is as follows:

Anti Lock Brakes- $400
    Engine Block Heater- $35
    4 Speed Automatic Transmission- $850
    Air Conditioning, Front Manual- $0.00
    Floormats, carpeted front and rear- $0.00
    CD Player sound system- $300
    Remote Keyless Entry (Includes Power Door Locks)- $350
    14" aluminum wheels- $375
    So, Air Conditioning is a no charge option. Which makes the base model kind of redundant as it only adds Air Conditioning and Floormats, both of which are no-charge options on the SVM model. But the base model can be bought now, whereas the SVM model comes out early 2004. So all Aveos being sold right now have a MSRP of over $11,000.
  • allosaballosab Member Posts: 2
    I bought the Special Value, manual. Sticker: $10000. I can't remember how much it came out to exactly, but it was under $12000 after taxes, etc. Came with floor mats, which is standard only on Base & LV models. No A/C, but I'm not complaining. Asked about A/C installation, factory can't put it in the SV model.--- Aveman, you're right about the Kia Rio, it doesn't handle well at all on bumps and especially potholes. It was also unbearably loud when shifting.--- I wanted a basic car, one that would take me to point A to point B comfortably. No frills kind of car and so far, I'm enjoying the ride. BIG BONUS: Free lifetime oil/lube changes at my dealership.
    If the factory can't put it on the Special Value, then why is it listed as a no-charge option on the Aveo Special Value?
  • avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    If you go futher into the site maybe in features or something their is a key discrittion that explains what is optional and what is not available. A/C is not available on the special value model. I can't for the life of me understand why Chevy would offer a model without the option for A/C. It seems like someone with authority would say this is not good.To call it a special value is kind of insulting.I bought my first new car without A/C and learned that it makes no sense. The people selling the car already know that.It shows a total disregard for the customer. The Aveo site info is a mess. It seems like it was designed by someone who intended to confuse or confound people who would be interested in the car.If GM pursued Quality and value like they do greed, they would get better in small car sales. If this is an attemp to import 3rd world content to go along with 3rd world salaries, perhaps GM does not need to lead the way there. I hope they have to cart a number of their cars with no A/C to the dump for lack of sales.
    BTW-I added A/C early this summer before taking off to vacation in Chicago and later to live in Missouri. If we had NOT had A/C for the trip over to Chicago and Missouri we would have literally expired from the heat. Midwest heat is REAL heat! While in Chicago my wife and I were sitting in a parking lot in the Sportage with the engine running and the A/C on...evidently it got so hot earlier that afternoon inside the Sportage that the A/C button on the console was losing it's paint! Little bits of black paint were flicking off of the A/C button(that was installed only a month earlier in Washington state at my dealer!). Long story short-yeah, if I wanted an Aveo I'd wait for the models that have A/C!

is a must when one drives through chicago because only the brave roll their windows down and let the not so fresh air in lol. I would think all cars today would have standard a/c. I agree the aveo site is messy but should clear up when the aveo really starts selling.
    I wouldn't buy any car without A/C!! Midwest and Southeast heat is really hot!!
  • irishbobcatirishbobcat Member Posts: 6
    Saw a red Aveo at a dealership last night....
    design looked nice....but there was no sticker price on the window....

I am thinking about the Aveo or a Rio....I too
    need basic transportation for my 75 mile round trip to work each day.....
    spotted one pulling out of a Shell Gas Station- Silver, with wheel-covers. I have yet to see one equipped with alloy wheels.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Not in the Twin Cities. I stopped by my local Chevy dealer and the sales rep said they had two on order but they would not arrive for 4-6 weeks. He did give me a brochure. That is kind of funny because for many other new cars, the cars arrive before the brochures do!
    spotted 4 or 5 of them sitting behind an Enterprise Rent a Car office.
    My dealer has about 4-5 of them sitting on the lot. I have seen 2 on the road thus far. Much better looking than I initially thought. Great basic transportation.
    is easy to service (plenty of Chevrolet dealers out there) and pretty dependable and affordable.
    The Aveo was recently shown in Chevrolet's latest commercial showcasing their lineup for 2004. BTW, the Aveo looked really good!! :)
  • irishbobcatirishbobcat Member Posts: 6
    The sedan looked nice...but too small for me...
    has anyone seen a hatchback? Is there more room in it? How much cargo will it hold?
    my local dealer has 9 Aveo hatchbacks in stock, 3 are SV models, 3 are base and 3 are LS models. If that helps to answer your question- dealers are likely to have a few hatchbacks on their lots as most dealers in my area have them.
    been to EP, BRMSVL, SHKPEE, BLMTN no Aveo sightings yet
    seen 6 Aveos all together. One on the road, 5 in the back of an Enterprise lot.
    again, the Aveo shown is the hatchback. Yeah, it looks pretty good. I prefer the hatch to the sedan for this car. I am keeping a lookout here in Rolla, MO for Aveo's to hit the Chevy dealer in town. So far, no sightings at all-on the road or in their lot. BTW-that facelift for the Corvette Chevy did(that is in that same commercial)was MUCH needed IMO!

I actually really like both, but I like the hatchback more because it can carry more stuff but doesn't cost more than the sedan version.
    is so appealing. It has just a touch of the Suzuki Aerio SX thing going on but looks better than that. Tell ya what, if I bought an Aveo hatch I'd get aftermarket taillight accents, similar to the Kia Sorento accents with the chrome borders. Remember that link I posted with the Australian market Aveo hatch shown(actually they call it the Kalos Dream)? That is nice taillight treatment! I would do the same to the Sorento, too, for that matter!

if quality ratings and reliability ratings go up, then there's no reason to buy a more expensive uglier Echo.
This discussion has been closed.