Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• Options
    handelhandel Member Posts: 17
    Here in Syracuse, New York, where snowfall averages over 100 inches a year, we take our snow seriously. Before taking delivery of my new 330xi in October, I drove an A4 Quattro for six years with Goodyears then Michelin all-seasons; never with snow tires. The car was a great snow car, it's AWD system far superior to the Jeep Cherokee 4WD I had before. I never needed snow tires with the A4 and never got stuck.

Schools were closed today because of a serious winter storm, the first real snow storm and my 330xi was ready to go. Observations: Fine tracking on the Hill from Hell near my house, which had been plowed, but had an inch or two of slush. Fine traveling on plowed but snow-covered roads. No lateral movement. Good recovery when I deliberately made a sharp turn, and the car hinted at a small skid.

I found the xi excellent on rainy roads, and expect the experience in snow will prove to be as positive as that of my A4. All without snow tires. Maybe there must have been some magic in the RF's.
  • Options
    davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    "Here in Syracuse, New York,"

GO ORANGE!!!!!! :)
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    7 months/8K miles and I see no ride deterioration. Honestly other an buying a lexus I dont see how to get a quieter ride. But thats not what the BMW experience is all about. On grooved pavement any tire is going to be loud.

My 2C

DL
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    the '06 3 series. I love the 330i w/ SP in Electric Red they show in AUTOMOBILE.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    For those contemplating NAV...if you can hold out for a little while...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1897253,00.asp

/ot off
  • Options
    saigonboi21saigonboi21 Member Posts: 150
    i dont know if u guys remember the story about me getting a flat and had to drive on it for 3 hrs to get home. I noticed that when i turn right, the car is VERY solid (it hugs the curves like crazy) but when i turn left, it doesnt feel as solid. I dont know if this makes sense: the car grips to the road very well on right turns but seems to slip/not grip as well on left turns. I was wondering if this is because of the rim where the flat was. I took it back to the dealer and they balanced it and it seemed a lil better. Now it's happening again...any comment?? thanks
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Pretty cool. The technology has been in the phones for a while (E911 GPS capability), it's nice to see it getting an additional use.
  • Options
    Thanks, I don't need NAV I got a map. But the Flat screen article was very interesting.

DL
  • Options
    drcubberdrcubber Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering if any of you have heard of any end of model year lease rate reductions for the 3 SERIES? My current 330i lease is about to expire and I'm never adverse to saving money. I leased my last BMW on December 31 (best day of the year to buy or lease a car) and got a substantial lease discount....36 mos no money down..loaded..12k miles per year....$450/month yes a 330i!!. I live in the NY metro area and would very much like help in this matter. Today's NY Times had really nothing special in it in the auto section. Thanks.....
  • Options
    gotrojangotrojan Member Posts: 48
    1. What is tire fee?

2. How much is the tire insurance? What does it cover?

3. If I want 325i without SP but with 17" tires, how much will I have to pay?

Thanks
    Go Trojan!
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    the Timex thing. Functionality isn't really the issue -- the Timex tells time just as well as the Rolex, and it lights up at night.

Now that some of the automobile functions (or at least the ability to customize them) are being bundled with the GPS, it's getting muddier yet. I didn't even know it was possible to spend $2700 on a Garmin, but then again, I don't own a Rolex either (Seiko, FWIW).

For straight function, the Garmin V does everything I want or need & costs between $250 - 350. Yes, it's monochrome & the screen is small (but still significantly larger than any cell phone).

Since I've never used a dedicated automotive GPS, perhaps those of you who have can tell me how they compare to the following:

Before I go on a business trip, particularly if I haven't been to some of the destinations before (supplier, hotel, whatever), I can set up all my routing, on my PC or laptop (4 - 6 times larger screen than any car-specific GPS I've seen). I can look at the routing & modify it if I don't like what it thinks is appropriate, even if it's a 900-mile journey. Once I'm satisfied, I download a day's worth of travel into the box & I'm off. The actual navigation part is probably near-identical to the dedicated systems, except my little box beeps at me when something's going to happen. It doesn't talk, and while the minor distraction of glancing at the screen to verify the next action is a factor, it's much less so than trying to read a map or a printed list of turns & distances.

Now, here's the part I really like. At the end of the day, I upload my track file to the PC and can, in the future, look at exactly how long it took me to go between any points on the trip, or for that matter, exactly where I ended up going if I needed to vary from the planned route for any reason. Don't need to write anything down -- it's just there. Then I save the file, with all the relevant waypoints for that particular series of destinations, and it's ready for me to use again next time I go. No more data entry or remembering which features of the automatically-selected route I didn't like & had to modify. It's all there ready to use again.

Within a few days last summer I was able to navigate/document a drive from Montreal to Vineyard Haven, a 25-mile bike ride on a borrowed bicycle & a 9-mile ride on an off-road Segway.

It works for me. YMMV.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    stan_330istan_330i Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2006 330i, without Nav. I just got a bluetooth phone (Motorola Razr 3Vc) and synched it with the radio in the car. The radio displays the phonebook that the car imported via bluetooth, and I can dial a phonebook number using the radio controls. But when I try to do a voice command dial ("Call Name"), the voice command voice says "Phonebook empty". The voice commands seem to be functioning otherwise.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
  • Options
    adolf2adolf2 Member Posts: 9
    I have used the Magellan portable 700 series for 2 years.It is about
    95% accurate.They have a new unit 760 serie that retailes for 1000.-$. It is more advanced. The 700 unit has periodic
    updates.They tell me the new update should make the unit more accurate.It is worth looking into.It is also cheaper.
    2 years ago I paid 1299.00 plus Tax.
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    The bluetooth may not be recognizing the voice tags on your razr's entries. Try creating an entry in your BMW's setup with the same name and number and give IT a voice tag. IE store it in the car, not the phone itself.

-Paul
  • Options
    sparkphdsparkphd Member Posts: 1
    "You cannot use voice commands to select numbers stored in the cellphone..." (pg. 17 in Telephone manual). However, you can use voice commands to store names and numbers within the Voice Phone Book of the car, then dial those numbers using voice commands. Storing entries is tricky though. The instructions in the manual say that you must say, "Store name, " but that didn't work in my car. I had to say "Enter name." In addition, I had to say, "Enter name," again to actually store the entry (instead of "store number," as in the manual).

I have not been able to enter pauses, however, within stored numbers. So, accessing my voice mail, completely hands free, is not yet possible.

The worst part is that while I can hear my callers just fine, they all tell me that I sound like I am on a cheap speaker phone.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Our Editor-in-Chief, Karl Brauer has a few comments on this as well 2006 BMW 3 Series Run-Flat Tires leaving Owner's Flat?

Be sure and tell him (on the above link) your opinion and concerns.
  • Options
    rbkfourrbkfour Member Posts: 2
    The owner's manual for the 330i states "up to 1,250 miles attempt to vary both engine and vehicle speeds, but refrain from exceeding an engine speed of 4,500 rpm or a driving speed of 100 mph." I've been driving around town in the middle of the night just to get up to 1,250 miles. Admittedly, I've succumbed to temptation on a few occasions and red lined the first few gears and crossed well over 100, oh so much fun. And the sales rep tells me BMW's don't have a break in period, drive however you want. I'm inclined to believe the owner's manual over the sales guy. What damage can you do not following the break-in period guidelines, only long-term? I'm only in a 3 year lease, but of course as a courteous BMW driver don't want to screw the next guy that ends up with this ride.
  • Options
    amiramir Member Posts: 115
    i like the bluetooth system in the 06 330i and pretty much know all the features of it but still dont know how to make a 3 way calling. or accept an incoming call while already on the other line and how to put the 1st call on hold.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I doubt that you've hurt anything, but I would try to follow the manual's advice.
  • Options
    manueltrans1manueltrans1 Member Posts: 136
    Has any of you new BMW 3 series 2006 owners ever had a car parked by a car jockey in a garage, and found that your car have been played with. (i.e. the settings have changed.) How do you guys deal with this problem? Thanks, Manny
  • Options
    How do you guys deal with this problem?

Get a concealed carry permit and waste the next punk who messes with your ride.
    My Ruger P85(9mm, 15 round magazine) works great in those situations ;)
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I'm gonna have to pass on this one... :blush:
  • Options
    Ask Ferris Buller :P I never Valet

DL
  • Options
    dhannodhanno Member Posts: 7
    dfosher and nearlydad,
    Any luck with getting the bluetooth problems fixed in your car? I bought a '06 325xi last month, and am having similar problems with bluetooth in the car. I paired a Motorola E815 (Verizon) and later, a Motorola Razr (Cingular) both of which are BMW recommended phones. They paired up nicely within seconds and worked fine the first few times. But later, they wouldn't get connected every time.

I called up BMW Assist and BMW customer service - they just asked me to reset the phone, and if the problem persisted, take it to the service center. Apparently, this is a known problem with '06 325xi, and BMW is working on a fix. In the meantime, the dealership can "tweak" the software in the car. When I asked them about what exactly do they do at the dealership, I didn't get a clear answer.

I took the car to the dealership, but in spite of keeping the car and the phone (Razr) for the day, they could not "replicate" the problem. When I picked up the car, the problem re-occured, and I took the service rep out to witness the problem. He acknowledged the problem, and is now communicating with BMW to figure out a solution.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem with bluetooth phones not connecting with the car intermittently? Has anybody been able to get this problem fixed?
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Yup, recently this problem has surfaced. I've at times had to re-click to connect as it sometimes does nothing with the first or second attempt at connecting.

(Using a Moto v551 with Cingular, a BMW approved phone)
  • Options
    snsnsnsn Member Posts: 56
    I'm having the same issues with my '06 325i. I have to re-connect everytime I turn my car off. At times, I have to go through the whole process of searching for the Bluetooth in my car. Sometimes my phone does not recognize any devices at all. I have a Motorola V3 Razr with Cingular.

I am taking my car in next week for the programming upgrades (which are finally in!!). I will speak to my service advisor about the Bluetooth issue as well.
  • Options
    scuttlescuttle Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    I recently ordered a 325i with everything...and it's waiting for production in early January. Are there any cool custom features you can order that are not readily advertised? I would love to have a different colored trim on my leather seats for example...anyone know of anything cool I should definitely have since I've placed an order? 2nd question: Is an extra $5K worth getting the 330?

thanks - production is scheduled for 1 week in January so I have about 5 days to make any last minute changes...
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "I recently ordered a 325i with everything... Is an extra $5K worth getting the 330?"

Assuming that you really did order "everything", the difference between the two cars is only $3,000 as the Xenons and the Premium Sound System are standard equipment on the 330i.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    burnmanburnman Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering the new 3 series also, and have the same decision staring at me. Let's face it: the ellipsoid 18" wheels look uber-cool. But as you alluded to, the stiffer setup is advantageous for one thing only: cornering at speed. So I guess it depends on how and where u plan to use the car. If it's mainly on well-maintained twisty country roads with occasional blasts on a race track, then i say go for the sport package. But if you're like me and you're driving on freeways with expansion joints and on pot-holed city streets, i'm thinking it just doesn't make sense. But those wheels sure do look good!
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    If you have to have your car valeted, why do you not give them the valet key? I NEVER give my regular key to ANYBODY other than my wife - and this goes for any car I own. BMW's and other newer cars have a LOT tied to which key is being used, such as seating position, mirror and steering position, radio station/volume, etc. If they can't use your key, they can't change your settings.

With that said, I never let anybody valet park my car. Period. If they won't allow it, I'll drop my wife off, go park in another lot, and meet her back at the place in question. Is it a pain? Yep. But it brings peace of mind knowing that no junior in high school is driving my car. I won't even let my daughter drive my car, so why would I let some strange kid?

-Paul
  • Options
    dvand17dvand17 Member Posts: 10
    I pushed "end" on my radio (or the telephone icon on my steering wheel) when I wanted to answer a call waiting call. I'm not sure if it hung up on the other person since I was hanginging up anyway, but it seemed to work for me. Not sure about 3 way.
  • Options
    novalaurennovalauren Member Posts: 16
    I have the SAME exact problem...bought a 325xi exactly one month ago today...it has been to the dealer FOUR times...no avail...they told me that BMW is releasing a software update to correct the problem in January...so I will have to wait until then...
  • Options
    rvaldezrvaldez Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a razr phone with Cingular for the bluetooth in my 2006 325 bmw which was purchased in Oct. 2005 It worked two times and stopped working. I had much difficulty pairing the phone and car up. I took the car to Assael Bmw in Duarte Calif. and the shop forman could not make it work. He told me I would have to leave the car. I took my car back to Crevier Bmw in Orange County where I bought it and left it there for three days. They couldn't fix it! The service rep advised me that I would have to wait maybe 45 to 60 days for a computer update from BMW. He was not too sure about anything. He said to check back with him after the New Year. Well I bought my new phone especially for the bluetooth in the car, which I can't use. In the mean time I exchanged by phone for the Motorola e815 with Verizon and it dosen't work either, so I guess I'll just have to wait. It's ashamed such a high end car (which I love) has this bluetooth bug. One of my wife's co-workers has the same model car and year- the bluetooth works perfectly. I did mention this to the SA and he said the car was manufactured in a different month, so some cars have a bug and other cars work perfectly.
  • Options
    kruntalkruntal Member Posts: 34
    I had similar issues of having to connect every time I got into the car initially with my Blackberry 7290 from Cingular. Turned out the phone had the default option of not "trusting" the BMW system, so I had to connect each time. I flipped that option in my phone to "trust the BMW connection", and since then they pair up every time I start the car, no problems...

Have not figured the 3-way, or call-waiting features in the BMW system, although they are there in the phone.

Sometimes I push "end" to no avail, even if call is hung up in the phone. So I start a new call from phone to hang up previous call in BMW system. Happens may be 1 in 10 or 20 calls. Some initial software bug I guess.

For most part it's a sweet system that I have been quite happy with so far...
  • Options
    manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I have had the 3M clear nose guard for 2.5 years and I have got to say the front end of my 530 looks brand new. A relative got a non-3M product on his 545 and it is hazing badly. So do your homework and get the 3M film - you will not regret it.
  • Options
    orienteoriente Member Posts: 44
    Today I was reading your comments and believe me, I understand your frustrations, except what you describe as the trans not engaging. I have a 2006 330i, and I find the extremely early 1st to 2nd shift as unnacceptable.....even in sport mode it is a bit too early.
    Last week I dropped by the dealer only to find my car had 2 software recalls; they never contacted me. Anyway, I had hopes, but the updates were totally transparent.
    The service manager told me that the early shift was normal; my dumb salesman told me that, I quote, "the car was so powerful that it started on 2nd gear". Well, however stupid this sounds, I do believe that now and then it has started on 2nd.
    There are many other disappointments, but I dont want my car to depreciate too much on my account.
    Still, I say your A/T is defective. Good luck.
  • Options
    biggie23biggie23 Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if it's possible to synch the dual climate temperatures so that when you are driving alone and you want to change the temperature you don't have to turn both knobs...

Thanks for the help
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The E46 in non-sports mode started in second gear. Plop the steptronic into sports mode and it starts in first. In sports mode though, there is a healthy climb of the tach before shifting into second gear. Sports mode delays the shifting for more power. Non-sports mode is designed to conserve fuel.
  • Options
    Non-sports mode is designed to conserve fuel.
    Yes, it's a consequence of the CAFE standards. Another thing to thank the politicos for... :mad:
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Timing and spiffs and other stuff that changes this equation:

1. It is possible that a 330 will be equal to or less than or only marginally more than a 325 "if/when" BMW is pushing a car -- even a more expensive one (of course I am speaking of subvented leases.)

2. A dealer may need to move a certain product or model to allow future orders or allocations, hence a more expensive car may be offered at a price that is minimally incremental than its less expensive cousin or sibling.

3. A 3,000 dollar MSRP difference translates to an even smaller number called "street price" -- might be as low as 5% might be as high as 20% (off of the $3k)-- check back next Tuesday and the following Tuesday and the following Tuesday as there are deals "pending" or "unpublished" or "made up on the spur of the moment" (sometimes in February, on the last Tuesday of the month, etc.)

I would, were I loading up a 325 version STRONGLY consider the 330 version at these price points and deal possibilities.

We ordered a new 2005 X3 3.0 in March, seven weeks later the phone rang, the car was in country. At just under eight weeks we picked up our new baby. The deal we made when we ordered the car was the exact same deal we could have had we bought off the lot -- except there were none on the lot with Sat Nav and Servotronic and some of the other options and color combo we wanted. At the time, as I recall, the X3 2.5 was $15/month less with identical terms -- can you say no brainer?

Hopefully this message doesn't come so late that you cannot act upon it. We WERE able to change our order after we placed it (before actual mfg started) to add one option (the afforementioned Servotronic steering) that we had inadvertently not put on the initial order.

Good luck.

Hope you went with the xi version and hope you went with the stick shift too -- but even if not, congratulations.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Any news on a 2007 model-year 320d for the US?
  • Options
    cobra2323cobra2323 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2006 325i. Live in Portland, Oregon - hence lots of rain. Although garaged at night, the car is parked outside during the day at work.

Should I purchase a cover for the car? Or, is it worthless since the rain means dirt? If a cover is a good idea, suggestions for brand/type?

Thank you in advance.

Cobra2323
  • Options
    As you mentioned, the car would often be dirty when you cover it. As a result, you'd probably end up causing more damage to the paint by covering the car. Rain won't hurt your Bimmer. Unless you leave the sunroof open... ;)
  • Options
    trulyd123trulyd123 Member Posts: 10
    Just bought a 06 325i sedan. Drove it today on a particularly windy day and lo and behold a large can or metal-something hit the side of my car and left 3 deep scratches.

Questions:

1) I know I have to fix it, but any recommendations how ie go through dealer, body shop, does my warranty cover this?

2) Once I fix it, should I consider getting some kind of treatment on the car to protect it? I'm not even sure what kind of treatment I could get. When I was w/ the dealer's Finance person they tried to sell me a paint protection option. Kinda looks more appealing now.

3) How do I heal my broken heart from seeing my new baby damaged so :-(

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    1. A similar thing happened to me in my first week with my 330i, which I've now had for 4 months. Front bumper hit in various locations by debris on highway. Left lots of scratches, some on the surface, some deep. It looked so bad I thought the bumper might have to be refinished. But first I tried my luck with compound and touchup paint. Really worked wonders. Not perfect, but now hardly noticeable. Not nearly bad enough to warrant a refinishing. Wishing you the same good luck. In any event, if yours turns out to be a job for the pros, it won't be covered by warranty.

2. The touchup paint comes with clearcoat. That's protection enough.

3. Only way to mend your broken heart is to repair the damage ASAP. Seeing it look like new again will put that grin back on your face. In the meantime, you'll still experience that new car joy from behind the wheel. You won't see those exterior scratches while your enjoying your ride and your still perfect interior.
  • Options
    screwbluetoothscrewbluetooth Member Posts: 10
    Any advice? Bought the right T-Mobile phone (Motorola Raz). I guess I got booted off when I complained about the BMW Engineers who create this stuff. Well, I'm settled down now, and just want to make it work. I saw 4 of my messages were deleted. Oh well. My problem is that the system PAIRS up whenever it wants. I can go 5 times in a row with it working, and then today. It hasn't worked at all in 4 to 5 different errands.
  • Options
    trulyd123trulyd123 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the info! I'll look into the touch-up paint, altho' with my shaky hands, I'm a little nervous about botching things up.

I appreciate the encouragement. I'm looking forward to grinning again everytime I see Mr. B (short for Bimmer and, yes, I named him :-)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I sent you an email. If you have any questions about what I said, reply to me there.
  • Options
    toonstoons Member Posts: 13
    Pat,

Did you send recommendation to the previous email sender?
    I'd like to have it, because I have exactly the same problem

thanks,
This discussion has been closed.