Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Speaking of "whacking distance", the XC90 has an option for a center rear booster seat that may be adjusted forward. Perfect for the mom with really short arms!
  • myk_amyk_a Member Posts: 70
    Get the October/November 2003 (don't remember which one it was but I did read it) Issue of Consumer Reports or go to consumerreports.org where they have an article on RX330, MDX, X5, XC90, etc. RX330 was the TOP Recommended choice - beating out the X5 and MDX! This should convince her.
    Tim, are you still here? My question above was relevant, as I don't want to unnecessarily burden the other members of Town Hall with a long list of arguments (some notably minuscule) if they don't apply to your situation. Lives around here have already been diminished from all of those climate control posts -- I don't want to add additional pain unnecessarily! There are several "practical" arguments within my collection that I researched and massaged when I successfully talked my wife into dumping the MDX for an RX330. They do not apply if you plan to keep your wife's MDX when you purchase the RX.
  • serenoaserenoa Member Posts: 21
    We use the Lexus crossbars. With the RX300 the weight limit was 75 lbs which was a bit dicey, but the 330 has increased the limit to 165 lbs, which is much more than we need. We try to put the light bulky stuff up there so as not to raise the center of gravity any more than necessary. It doesn't seem to affect either the noise level or the handling.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    How does it compare to a Honda Accord trunk in terms of volume?

Is there any way to conceal items out of sight of the windows?

I was mainly interested in the hybrid because I figured good fuel-efficiency and SUV flexibility would be the best of both worlds.

But sounds like if they put a hybrid power train on something like an ES330, you'd do just as well in terms of storage.
  • lovemylexus1lovemylexus1 Member Posts: 101
    I sold my 2001 Accord sedan to buy my RX 330.
    The cargo volume is far greater in the RX.

First, you have more height. Second, the rear seats can slide forward...which extends your available cargo space when the rear seats are down. The rear seats are split so you have a variety of options when you need to fold them (unlike my Accord where either the whole seat folded down OR I had only a small "ski" pass through). And although the front passenger seat doesn't fold down, the front passenger seat reclines to a position that is nearly flat....ideal if you ever have to haul really long items like 2x4's (although I personally would NEVER haul wood in my RX).

There is a removable screen in the RX that allows you to conceal items (it also has its own nifty storage space beneath the cargo mat for times when you are not using it). On a recent trip I was able to lay a 30" suitcase flat next to a 24' suitcase and cover both with the screen. I could never put the suitcases in the same arrangement in the Accord.

I will say it takes time to adjust to the "wide open" space of the RX...especially if you have never owned an SUV. But, once I re-adjusted my perception, I see far more possibilities.
    Thanks for the detailed description.

Good to hear because it sounded silly that people would have to buy optional rooftop storage units to be able to carry enough stuff.
  • blackrx330blackrx330 Member Posts: 25
    The Luxury SUB review has been reprinted in CR's annual auto review issue that is out on news stands now.
  • tmharrelltmharrell Member Posts: 14
    Regarding the elements of the persuasion:

- She keeps (and loves) the MDX - we would be replacing my sedan. ( We become: A two SUV couple!)
    - Until the crossovers came along, I complained for years about SUVs (rollovers and gas mileage). A certain amount of crow will have to be eaten.
    - Consumer Reports carries big weight in our household.

Thanks again!
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Saw this link and remembered the long discussions about FWD vs RWD handling.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0311/05/d01-316720.htm
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    What's "silly" is your assertion.

Ever see rooftop cargo carriers on big SUVs like Suburbans? Guess so.

So why would we not want a small SUV for 95% of the driving inside a metro area and then use a rooftop carrier for those once or twice a year trips that need more cargo capacity?

I'll bet you never take auto trips with large dogs. It's like taking a toddler - lot more stuff compared to their body weight.

Rooftop storage makes a lot more sense than getting a large SUV that can hold more inside - but sucks gas every day, is hard to park for my wife every day, and has a lousy turning radius every day. Not to mention they don't fit in our garage.

Pretty silly I guess.
    Hmm, still won't get me more interested in any GM products.

They say they can compensate for some of the inherent disadvantages of RWD cars in the area of fuel efficiency. But presumably RWD cars won't be as fuel-efficient as FWD designs?

It's interesting that the Japanese makes are investing heavily in hybrid designs while GM is still fixated on catering to the "enthusiast" market.

Either gas prices remain low and GM makes the right bet or they spike or we have enough problems in the Middle East that the companies who transistion better to hybrids and more high-mileage cars will do a lot better, like what happened in the '70s and '80s.
    And no I don't travel with dogs. Just happy that the RX330 and presumably the RX400H (which I'm more interested in) will be more than just a glorified passenger carrier, that they really do have utility. Like being able to take a couple of people and their luggage to the airport, which you can do with a midsize sedan, without worrying about having enough room.

And no, I don't think that after paying more for an SUV than a sedan (RX330 is essentially an SUV version of the ES330, isn't it?) that I should have to buy aftermarket cargo carriers in search of more space.
    I was almost ready to cry out "No!!!" when you claimed you were becoming a "two SUV couple."

But after reading Jeff's post, I was enlightened to the idea that the RX330 isn't a typical SUV. It's actually extremely driveable, and quite nimble, for its size. Add to these characteristics its sedan-like fuel economy, and you might just consider calling it a Sport Wagon instead of an SUV. Call me crazy, but from a distant side view, it almost looks like a big brother to the IS300 SportCross.

I submit to you that you will be a "1 SUV, 1 Sport Wagon" couple! Maybe you don't like the idea of calling it a wagon, but at least it puts a halt to your crow diet.

By the way, not only did the RX330 win that Consumer Reports luxury SUV comparison, but they also stated it was their highest-ever rated recommended SUV. (I guess the Audi Allroad is rated just as high, but it has never been recommended, due to reliability concerns.)
    I guess...different people have different vehicle needs (duh)...and to refer to someone else's requirements and needs as "silly" strikes me as a bit narrowly-focused and off-the-mark.

Have a good trip to the airport with that couple and their couple of bags...

You might just discover, however, that an actual out-of-town TRIP for a week or two is inherently DIFFERENT than running an errand like an airport drop-off.
  • btill1btill1 Member Posts: 69
    I to have recently purchased a car top carrier for our RX330 I did it for two reasons:1. we already have a Town and Country van so we did not want another big vehicle 2. we wanted a car with AWD, The car top carrier gives us a great deal of flexability when we want to take the RX330 to the mountains in the winter (2 children plus 1 dog). As a matter of fact the car top carrier is on the van right know because we are going up north this weekend and using it gives us more room in the inside of the vehicle (besides the dog loves riding up top LOL)
    ...obviously canines!

And mine loves to ride up there as well but since he learned how to undo the elastic spyder cord things, he's just not trustworthy.
  • dogmikedogmike Member Posts: 4
    btill 1. Extra Storage Space.
    Please recommend a good car top carrier for the RX330?
  • btill1btill1 Member Posts: 69
    Dogmike,
    We purchased a Thule Evolution 1600 (16 cubic feet)they have bigger and smaller we bought this one because it opens on both sides and is very easy to switch from car-to-car, it also is the right length for our skis. The unit was a bit pricey at $420 but it came with a 5 year warranty. You can do a search under roof racks to see which carrier is right for you.
    Good Luck
    Thule and Yakima are the Big Dogs in this niche.

The largest rooftop basket the RX330 can fit I believe is the Yakima Loadwarrior at 44"x39"x6.5" tall.

It fits well on the RX' roof rails with an extra lockable rail mounting system supplied by any Yakima dealer. The Yakima brand spyder bungee cord is a good investment to hold luggage etc inside the basket.

A very stable set-up and in total it weighs about 22-25 lbs so it doesn't detract too much from the
    gross 165 lbs that the RX roof is rated for.

Yakima also makes the fiberglass enclosed ski carrier units in various sizes and they click onto the same mounting rails as the basket.
  • sks503sks503 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a RX330 for my wife. my wife picked bamboo pearl color from catalog. but when she saw actual color she hate it. I contact the dealer but they said they can,t exchange. it just one day old. any body have any good idea? please let know..
    a. Change wife
    b. Change paint
    c. Sell car
    d. Change wife, sell car, and become a painter
  • ben330ben330 Member Posts: 2
    I got my rx330 about one month and I noticed there is continuous ticking sound from the engine when it is idle (the sound is like the one of a mechanic watch)? I just did my 1000 mile service and raised the my concern. The technician said lexus already knew this, but no action has been taken yet, and they cannot do anything about it. He also said the sound is worse in es330. He just let me complain it whenever I do my service in the future. Does anybody has similar problem?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My 01 AWD RX300 has done that since day one, 3 years and 30k miles ago.
  • tailhook2003tailhook2003 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know the approximate transport time (for the RX) after "build date" from the factory to the FL dealerships? I believe it is via train and truck.
    If you did not take delivery, I believe you would have been able to change the color. But since you took final delivery, I doubt that they could do anything for you. Just a thought.
    Lexus calls the RX330 a Luxury Utility Vehicle (LUV) and I totally see it fit. "Sport Wagon" doesn't do the RX330 justice. ;)

In any case, we are in the same boat as tmharrell. We now own a 2001 Toyota Rav4L (black), plus the 2004 Lexus RX330 (flint).
  • lamkenlamken Member Posts: 19
    All the RX330 ticks when idling. For some reason the soundproofing shield out all sort of engine noise but let pass the ticking from the valves and lifters etc.
    When does this ticking occur? I've had my RX330 for exactly a week now and I do not hear it. Does it affect models from Japan or Canada?
  • mvd1mvd1 Member Posts: 30
    I believe the "ticking" sound from the engine bay at idle is associated with the electrical solenoids opening/closing each fuel injector. I notice this several years back on my Infiniti I35 and my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee. I haven't really noticed it on my RX330, but will take a listen later today.
  • ben330ben330 Member Posts: 2
    mvd1, you are right. The technician said that it is the fuel injector that causes the ticking sound. He also said the new RX330 uses a plastic injectors, while previous model uses metal ones.

The sound is very obvious when you turn off your audio.
    This is not in the manual (as far as I know). Found it by accident.

Did you know that the switch that selects either Left or Right side rear view mirrors (above the adjustment pad) also enables the auto-tilt feature?

If left in the middle (meaning neither L or R is selected), the auto-tilt down feature (when gear's in reverse) is disabled.

To re-enable the feature, the switch has to be on either selection (meaning L or R is selected).

Just a thought! :)
  • blackrx330blackrx330 Member Posts: 25
    Is there a way to program the degree or angle to tilt when you put it in reverse? On the MB the tilt-down position is set by the driver.
    When the outside mirrors are set to tilt down when reverse gear is engaged, the RX330 does so with BOTH mirrors - unlike the same feature in my LS400.

This, IMO, is a definite safety hazard. What in the world were those Denso engineers thinking to have the driver's mirror tilt down as well, thereby eliminating your ability to see oncoming cars, other items behind the vehicle, etc?

Bad idea. Wish there was a way to have just the passenger mirror tilt but the only safe thing to do is disable the tilt movement entirely with the mirror adjust switch as described above.
  • mvd1mvd1 Member Posts: 30
    FYI - the auto tilt mirror operation is explained on Page 156 in the manual.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    same feature on the bimmer. This supposed to help parallel parking in big city like NYC or S.F.
    You're right! Thanks! I guess I didn't catch it... :)
    I suppose that's why they included the rear camera?
    None that I know of... mvd1 might know?!
    Why is the RX 330 NOT in Edmund's most wanted list?!
    Because VW and Infiniti offered Edmunds more bribe money. Duh!

(Ooh, I can't wait for Steve and Tidester to see this one.)

Actually, both the FX45 and the Touareg V8 may be purchased slightly below $45K, which allows them to barely squeeze into the Under $45K category. (In reality, either one can cost more than $45K, depending on their included options.) I seriously doubt the Touareg V6 would be considered among the top SUVs, as it is reportedly slower than the XC90 2.5L.

Both are considered excellent vehicles, depending on what you are looking for in this extremely broad vehicle classification known as "SUV". I'm sure the T-Reg wins points for its off-road prowess, while the FX45 provides plenty of adrenaline on the pavement. More practical-minded reviewers, such as Consumer Reports, prefer the overall balanced presentation of the RX330, along with its reliability and resale value.

By the way, is anybody else surprised that the Explorer won the Under $35K category over the Pilot, Highlander, and the Murano? Have you driven a Ford lately?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    <Glare!!>

LoL!

tidester, host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe none of the editors had seat time in one before the cut-off date? But I do seem to remember a First Drive article, but maybe not since we didn't link to it on the left sidebar.

Or maybe the editors didn't <gasp!> like it as well as the others?

Steve, Host
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    To: Customer_Satisfaction_Inquiries@toyota.com
    Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 1:08 PM
    Subject: windshield fogging

I notice in the owners manual of the new RX330, right column, page 244, that the climate control system will automatically switch to "Floor/Windshield" if the outside temperature declines to or below 32F and below.

It is my understanding that it is at about this very same temperature, 35F, that the A/C compressor is automatically disabled as it can no longer be functional for dehumidification purposes.

It has been my experience through and in several Lexus vehicles over the years (90, 91, 92, 95 LS, 00 GS, 00,01 RX) that routing system airflow to the windshield at about the time the A/C is disabled is potentially very hazardous.

Any moisture still remaining (and generally speaking, there will be LOTS) on the evaporator vanes after the A/C is disabled will rather quickly evaporate into the COLD incoming airflow, and if the system has just been automatically switched to Floor/Windshield, then directly onto an already throroughly CHILLED windshield.

In the past Lexus and Denso have claimed that for human comfort purposes the airflow from the upper outlets, including the windshield defrost/defog/demist outlets, will be as much as 20F cooler than the temperature setpoint.

Has Lexus or Denso added a method whereby the temperature of airflow to the windshield is raised substantially in the Floor/Windshield mode as the OAT declines? As opposed to previous Lexus climate control systems which were subject to sudden and spontaneous windshield fogging in this very circumstance?
    To: Mr. Willard West
    Subj: Windshield Fogging

Dear Mr. West:

Thank-you for your inquiry dated 11-7-03.

We will add it to the folder containing hundreds of other such inquiries you have made in the past 12+ years that you have continued to buy our products, time after time, year after year.

We certainly appreciate your continued support of our products - not to mention all your letters. Without such unquestioning support (and dollars) from clients such as yourself, we would be forced to spend many more research funds to actually perfect our vehicles, including their HVAC systems that you regard so highly. And, without the time we spend reading your correspondence, several of us would probably be unemployed.

Again, thank you for your dilligent correspondence and we certainly look forward to many more such letters from satisfied repeat customers such as yourself in the future.

- Your Friends at Toyota/Lexus Customer Service

cc: shredder/round file
  • lamkenlamken Member Posts: 19
    The ticking sound is very faint. I'll hear it when the car is at a total stop in a quiet neighbour like in front of my house. You might not hear it when you're out in a busy street even if you are stopped at a light.
    Ken
    "Or maybe the editors didn't <gasp!> like it as well as the others?"

Hmmm... It's that darned HVAC issue, isn't it?

C'mon. Admit it. It's just no match for that optional 4-way non-windshield-fogging climate control system of the T-Reg.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Admit it. It's just no match for that optional 4-way non-windshield-fogging climate control system of the T-Reg.

Rumor has it that the next generation 330 will have a retractable windshield - for those particularly humid days when nothing else works! ;-)

tidester, host
  • sp007sp007 Member Posts: 3
    Tidester made a funny. You rock Tidester ;-)
  • stevecarbuyerstevecarbuyer Member Posts: 6
    Could someone please share with me the pros and cons of AWD versus FWD.

I placed an order with my local Lexus dealer (after waiting through four weeks of allocations to see if they would receive the vehicle I wanted) for an AWD, Neptune Blue, Ivory Leather, NAV/Mark Lev, RSES, HH and received verbal confirmation from dealer that one was coming off production in Canada Nov. 11.

When I asked to confirm my order request, the vehicle production sheet sent to me showed the vehicle as a FWD. (My sales rep is obviously not as detailed as he should be!)

I am concerned about taking order on an over $ 40k vehicle that does not have what I wanted but I am also concerned about having to wait two or three months to get what I want.

Is there any problem with vehicle front wheel torque with a FWD or any handling advantage I would be giving up by not having the AWD drivetrain?

Thanks for anyone help!

A Frustrated Potential Buyer!