Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• Options
    mrbentwrenchmrbentwrench Member Posts: 2
    B.C.(before computers)it was easy to know exactly what changes the manufactures were making in all of the analog control components of their engines and transmissions and I never felt they were hiding anything. Now, with so many options available digitally, I sure feel that they want to keep many things secret. Why is this, or is the information available and I don't know where to look?
  • Options
    4424jm4424jm Member Posts: 25
    I was just quoted $440 for 15k service at lexus of stevens creek in san jose. Edmunds estimates $120. What a rip off
  • Options
    trainman2343trainman2343 Member Posts: 22
    Gary, I have an Rx 330 With the Bluetooth and also have Verizon. I Bought the LG 8100 Phone And everything seems to be working fine. Also the LG 8100 is a great Phone Check it out' Mike
  • Options
    Hi Rich, I also have Verizon and I have the LG 8100 Phone Everything seems to be working fine. I have not entered any info to the address book as of yet, But the Rep told me that Verizon doesn't allow you to sink the Info from your phone, but you have to enter them your self. The reason is so that no one can take your info while your transferring the information
    Mike
  • Options
    feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    I am amid the "study" phase. I own a 2001 Highlander that is a wonderful vehicle, and naturally, moving up to a Lexus seems to be the logical choice. However, reading the Problems & Solutions thread, it suggest the RX330 is not measuring up to its reputation. I am wondering if the quality has slipped since being manufactured in Canada? Any comments, pro and con, please.
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    It looks like the 2007 RX 350 should be in dealers anytime now. The vehicle is being advertised in the current issues of the major car magazines. There don't appear to be any design changes (although it is hard to tell for sure). HP is now 270.
  • Options
    sandiegotomsandiegotom Member Posts: 50
    I just got quoted a price of "about $350" for the 15K service on my wife's 2004 RX330. I asked if this included only the items listed in the Owner's Manual and was told yes. This quote seems high in that the only significant items (other than a few added inspections) from the 10K service is replacement of the air conditioner filter and retorquing of drive shaft flange bolts. The 10K service cost $113. My car does not qualify for any of the Special Operating Conditions maintenance. Any comments or recent experience with this 15K service?

Tom
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you compare that price to the estimate in the Edmunds Maintenance Guide?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Steve:

Thanks for the tip. I had no clue about the Maintenance Guide. Unfortunately, it does NOT yet have any price guidelines for the RX330 periodic services. It DOES have a list of recalls and TSBs...

Tom
  • Options
    rich18944rich18944 Member Posts: 14
    I have had the same problem with what I think were excessive charges for service. My dealer wanted to charge me over twice what an oil changes costs for the 10,000 mile service. When I asked what was included, there was really no difference from a standard oil change except for a few inspections, tire rotation and rebalancing the tires. When I got the slip after the have the oil change done, it showed that all the inspections were done anyway. I did not think the tires needed to be rebalanced.

I did not even inquire as to the cost of the 15,000 mile service at the Lexus dealer. I went to the local Toyota dealer and told them exactly what I wanted done based on the maintenance manual and it was only a little over $50. Except that I did not have the tires rotated.

Another interesting thing is the maintenance schedule on the Lexus web site under “My Vehicle” indicates “Your Lexus should receive scheduled maintenance every 5,000 to 7,500 miles (or every 4 to 6 months), depending on your circumstances and driving habits.” It goes on to describe the driving habits. My driving habits fall into the 7,500 mile category. The maintenance manual that came with my RX 330 only lists the 5,000 miles service interval. I have emailed Lexus to see why the difference but they have not gotten back to me. Is this another way for the dealer to get into your pocket?

I loved my RX 300 and my RX 330 is even better. I just don't like the dealer's way of doing business.

Rich
  • Options
    Hi Rich I also have a 2005 Rx 330 and I don't see where the override button is located. I tried pressing on the volume screen the lower left corner for some time and nothing happens? Help Thanks Mike
  • Options
    That's odd; when I plug in the RX 330 for the 15,000 mile service, it tells me the estimated cost will be $123.57 for the manufacturer recommended service for my zip code.

Lots of owners do like Rich and get service done at a Toyota dealer. Occasionally one owner will operate both the local Toyota and Lexus shop and won't work with you, but it sounds like a good option for many people.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    You are right, Steve. I was putting in the zip code for where I live, rather than where the dealer is. I'm in the sticks inland, and he's on the coast. Anyway, I came out with $161 plus tax, a lot more than $123, but a lot less than $350! However, the service list from Edmunds does not include replacement of the air conditioner filter as called out in the service booklet. Wonder what that costs?

Thanks...

Tom
  • Options
    I'm still surprised that a zip code would return no estimate - I stuck one in for Ramona and got a number (my wife is from SD so she's taken me to the boonies out in the county). You must be really be out there.

The in-cabin filter on my Quest costs around $50 US. That's why I've never replaced mine in 100k - I just stuck some filter media from Ace Hardware in the filter housing.

Btw, a recall campaign was announced this morning for the '04 RX 330's to fix the rear left-side passenger seatbelt buckle anchor. So there's another trip to the dealer you can look forward too. :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    Got my March Car and Driver today. There was an ad for the 2007 RX350 featuring 270hp. Anyone hear anything about it yet? I've got to assume it will be in dealer's showroom by March if it is already advertised.
  • Options
    jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    Dear sandiegotom

I got the same "sales job" from my dealer in No. Ca. I pointed out the manual services needed to enforce the warranty and it came out to about $ 150 which included the transmission oil change.

Check the manual is smart to do. Also, I bought the "lexus oil filter" which by a strange coincidence had the words "Toyota" on the filter.

Also, if you change the oil yourself, buy your own washers when you get the filters.

A friend of mine got the "Premium Service" at 22k at a cost of $ 450. Included were additives put into the oil and FUEL.

In the warranty book, I noted that when changing the transmission oil, there seems to be the requirement that you MUST use the toyota brand. And since the tranny is so important I have my local tranny man use their Lexus-Toyota labeled oil.

I am satisfied with my Lexus, however, I watch my back on the maintenance of it too.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • Options
    bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    Sorry, didn't see previous posts concerning start date. March makes sense.
  • Options
    mdavis2mdavis2 Member Posts: 4
    With our only son out of college, my wife and I are looking to purchase a vehicle that we'll both really enjoy. It will be used primarily as transportation to and from work, occasional out of town trips and possibly to pull a pop up camper in the mountains. I have wanted a Lexus for a long time, believing that I would be getting a vehicle that was worth the higher price because of comfort, craftsmanship, and increased reliability. I am value oriented and am not keen on buying something simply for the name. Online research has shown the Highlander to be a close competitor. Also, there have been some very good reviews on the Subaru Forester, which gets much better gas mileage and costs a whole lot less. At 6'2' tall, I'm wondering if I'll be comfortable in the RX330. My question is simply this: Is the RX330 worth the additional money when it comes to comfort, reliability, and driving enjoyment? Besides the fact that the resale value remains high, and the warranty is longer, what else can someone who is value oriented use to justify purchasing a Lexus? The wife and I will probably visit a dealership in the next week or so and I'd appreciate any feedback in advance of a dealership visit. Thanks in advance to all who respond.
  • Options
    rich18944rich18944 Member Posts: 14
    Mike,

Let me outline the steps again (with a little more detail) and maybe you can get it to work.

First, you can do this with the engine running while stopped or while moving (if you do it with the ignition on but not started, it will be lost when you start the vehicle)

1. Press the “MENU” button (below the screen)
    2. Press the “Volume” box on the screen (a new screen will appear)
    3. Press the “speaker” icon in the top left corner of the screen
    4. Press in the lower left corner about ½ inch from the bottom and ½ inch from the left side of the screen
    5. Repeat item 3
    6. Repeat item 4 (a new screen should then appear)
    7. Press and hold the “override box” until you hear a faint beep and the color of the border on the override box changes to orange (this takes a few seconds)
    8. Press the “back” icon (upper right hand corner of screen)
    9. Press “DEST” button (below the screen)

You can now enter addresses, POIs or other destination information just the same as you could if the vehicle was stopped. Be careful, since you have just bypassed a safety feature.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Rich
  • Options
    Steve:

I think I can explain the zip code mystery. I live in Vista, between San Marcos and Carlsbad. Several years ago, because of rising population, the USPS gave our neighborhood a new zip code (92081). I've found that a number of zip code databases still haven't "gotten the word". I put in 92081 and the Edmunds system apparently couldn't find it, so couldn't produce the pricing data.

Tom
  • Options
    It works for one of the other Vista zips I tried (92083). I think I'll send a note to the data people - there's probably some post office flyer they get and have to fool with every year or two. Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Steve:

Just to continue beating the dead horse, out of curiosity, I checked most other RX330 maintenance intervals to see if I could get the cost of the air conditioner filter replacement. I could not find it listed at all, even though the service booklet requires it to be replaced at 15,000 mile intervals (15K, 30K, 45K, etc.) unless it's replaced sooner because of operation on unpaved or dusty roads.

Tom
  • Options
    Dunno Tom, parts is parts so I don't why it's missing.

I do see some Lexus AC pollen filters for sale on the net for $15 to $30. So double that for your dealer. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • Options
    bdr1bdr1 Member Posts: 1
    We just handed over the check for a new RX 330 today and while we are not in the same age demo we are value orientated. it hurt like hell to pay this much for a car, but you come to the point where no matter how hard you try its not going to be a rational decision.

this is a luxury brand and they pay millions and millions to advertise and position themselves to be able to earn a higher profit per vehicle then any other manufacturer. toyota's a well run company and produce good cars...so it certainly isnt a bad decision.

if you have an alterntive place to invest the 10K between this car and a tribeca, murano etc...then do it. if its time for a treat then buy the rx.

good luck. my .02
  • Options
    esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Yes, there were blind spots... I have the same package on my '04 RX330. I am completely taken with the idea of a backup camera- I couldn't buy a car without it now. I have NOT gotten in one accident, and it works wonderfully. The car itself is fabulous- it's so smooth, has a high-quality interior, and is standing the test of time in terms of style. I would buy one again, but I had an RX300 before, so I want something different for my next car.
  • Options
    Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I believe that enjoyment of the driving experience and ownership is worth a lot, provided the reliability and service are in line with the price of the vehicle. From what I've read, that is the case. I wish you many enjoyable trouble free rides in yours. Thanks again!
  • Options
    jbgrahamjbgraham Member Posts: 34
    Am also 6'2" and have been very comfortable in my RX330 for 40K miles. I've never been very pleased with the transmission, but have learned to live with unhappy shift points - even after several reprogramming attempts. I have dash rattles when traveling over rough surfaces that seem to be external-temperature related - don't have them in the summer. However, I have been extremely comfortable, the reliability has been great and the driving experience has been positive. The things that Lexus is good at are the things that were important to me when I got the vehicle. About service: Coming from an Audi A6, I felt as if I were in heaven. But the reality is that they are just very professional and pleasant - How sad that what should be standard behavior (for all of us)becomes noticed as exceptional. The service itself was competent and very expensive as noted elsewhere here in greater detail.

I am more value-oriented now than I was three years ago, so will be looking elsewhere at the end of my lease in July. That doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't find great value in this vehicle. If you can afford it, and your heart can't walk away from it - go for it! Enjoy - J
  • Options
    acctprofacctprof Member Posts: 41
    I just bought a 2006 RX last weekend. On the way home, I tried to reset the Avg. MPG. I could reset ET, MPH, everything but Avg. MPG. I traded in a 2004 ES that had a reset button that worked on everything.

I read the owner's manual and found out I have to get gas to reset the MPG. Anyone know how to reset MPG without buying gas?

Len
  • Options
    J,

Thank you very much for your valuable input. Do I understand correctly that you found Lexus service representatives to be professional and pleasant but the service was more expensive than expected?

I'm interested to know what vehicle(s) you're considering as your next. Thanks again! M.Davis
  • Options
    Pardon me for interrupting, but I'll respond too.

We bought our first Lexus in 2004 and just traded for a 2006. My experience with the Lexus sales, service, and even receptionists has been outstanding.

Everything about the dealer I use is first class. The waiting area is clean, has recent magazines, cable TV, complimentary soft drinks, coffee, Lexus water. My wife even comments on the cleanliness of the bathrooms.

I leave feeling that I was their most important customer that day.

My wife was 900 miles from home in Houston and ran over some road trash and had a flat tire. She called the 800 number. The operator promised someone would contact her within five minutes; they did. Then the service tech called twice enroute to make sure that she was safely off the road. She won't drive anything other than a Lexus.

Len
  • Options
    jimmyjumpjimmyjump Member Posts: 4
    Can I poll the current Lexus/Toyota owners on the comfort and usefullness of the RH armrest on the drivers side?

My concern is that this arm rest is too small to be comfortable for 6" driver. I am used to a console arm rest or a full width adjustable armrest shared between driver and passenger that you can rest your arm in any position. It seems to me that the Lexus armrest is the same chinsy 2" wide Toyota armrest used from the Corola on up wrapped in nicer leather. You would think they could make a wider armrest or a nice shared adjustable rest.

Is this a matter of just getting used to it? Right now when I hop in a Lexus to try it out my arm slips off the thing. :(
  • Options
    avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I am 6'4" and have never had a problem with the arm rest. I've had a '99 RX 300 since '98. I never really thought about it being small until seeing comments here over the years. I guess it depends on ones position while driving.
  • Options
    Hi Rich, Thank you for all the help, I was able to get it to work, What a difference it makes....
    Mike
  • Options
    Hi, Len

No interruption at all- thank you for sharing your experience! I was leaning toward a Highlander until your post. Now I'm leaning toward the Lexus again :) I'm in no hurry to make a decision. The more I think about it, the more it becomes apparent that the price we're willing to pay for luxury and the driving experience is an individual choice. But it's good to know that you experienced the excellent service in addition to that. Thanks again for your input. M.Davis
  • Options
    highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    Agree with you. The RH arm rest for the driver and the LH arm rest for the passenger is a weak spot for comfort, everything else about this vehicle is very good. My Toyota 4Runner and Solara have a very comfortable center arm rest shared by driver and passenger, why that type design was not used on the RX is puzzling.

I am tempted to go to a upholster to have a custom leather pillow made in same color of interior that will fit over the console and be at same height of armrest. This is just an idea, have no idea if it will work but may be worth a try. When you need access to the compartment below just move the pillow. Hope more folks respond to your poll, maybe someone has a solution.
  • Options
    sabiobsabiob Member Posts: 4
    I talked to my local Lexus dealer and the sales manager said that I can order my RX with Mark Levinson Sound and the factory installed Rear Entertainment System with one screen in the middle. OR I can order the aftermarket dual screens on each headrest that is in the parts department for the same cost, but I will not have the Mark Levinson Sound System. Any suggestions to people who own RX's with the Levinson sound or the Screens on which setup would be the best? I am looking at buying in the next two weeks. Thanks
  • Options
    Yes, but the Lexus RX350 is much faster, more luxurious and more sophisticated than the Mazda CX-7.

But I do like the way the Mazda looks- very stylish!

;)
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    According to the info available on tundrasolutions.com, the RX350 does not offer satellite radio. Furthermore, the stated 0-60 time is the same as for the 2006
    RX330. And the turning diameter is 1.4 feet greater. This is progress? It does appear that they may have improved noise levels; this is something that was definitely needed.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Greater turning radius might very well imply that the RX has adopted the AWD system from the IS and GS.

That would most definitely be progressive!
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Correction: after reviewing the RX350 Nav system manual, it is clear that XM radio will be offered as a dealer installed option.
  • Options
    Is this a credible site?

It seems highly unlikely that the 350 is the same as the 330 in terms of performance.

When Lexus tests it, I'm sure it will be quicker. Think about the RX400h- it's heavier than the 350, and has 3 less bhp, but still gets a 0-60 time of 7.0-7.2 seconds, compared to the 330's 7.7.

I'm gonna say 7.0 flat.

;)
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The RX400 is able to combine the torque of the ICE and electric motor(AWD,{s}) for that stellar 0-60 time. With low speed acceleration HP is not the issue, torque is, AC electric motors have a dramatic level of low RPM torque.
  • Options
    toyotaf1fantoyotaf1fan Member Posts: 37
    Production on the RX 350 has started this week. I would expect them on dealer lots by the end of March.

Mullins
  • Options
    bobob20032000bobob20032000 Member Posts: 69
    2007 Lexus RX 350

3.5 L V6 FWD
    270 horsepower
    251 lb-ft of torque
    5-Speed Automatic
    0-60: 7.3 seconds
    20 mpg city/25 mpg highway
    U-LEV II

3.3 L V6 AWD
    270 horsepower
    251 lb-ft of torque
    5-Speed Automatic
    0-60: 7.4 seconds
    19 mpg city/24 mpg highway
    U-LEV II
  • Options
    2006 Lexus RX 330 AWD - $37,770
    2006 Lexus RX 330 Front Wheel Drive - $36,370

2007 Lexus RX 350 AWD - $38,800
    2007 Lexus RX 350 Front Wheel Drive - $37,400
  • Options
    2006 RX 330

3.3 L V6 FWD
    223 horsepower
    238 lb-ft of torque
    5-Speed Automatic
    0-60: 7.7 seconds
    19 mpg city/25 mpg highway

3.3 L V6 AWD
    223 horsepower
    238 lb-ft of torque
    5-Speed Automatic
    0-60: 7.8 seconds
    18 mpg city/24 mpg highway
  • Options
    avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    A few weeks ago the lights went out on my radio/cd/tape buttons as well as the light by the shift knob showing what gear you are in. It turned out to be a 7.5 amp fuse in that fuse box in the driver's compartment. I replaced it and it worked fine for about a week. Yesterday it blew the fuse again. Seems if there was a short it would have blown the fuse right away. Any ideas?
  • Options
    kriglvkriglv Member Posts: 2
    I just purched rx330 3 days ago after reading the manual it states you should use premium gas. Does anybody ever use regular; and any pinning?
  • Options
    Krigly, I bought a new 330 at the end of January. I have been using the mid-grade with no problems. I haven't tried 87 oct.

Len
  • Options
    kriglvkriglv Member Posts: 2
    thanks Len for the info I just could not see why a 6 cylinder needed premium fuel...