Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Transmission problems with Lexus ES?

Comments

• jragosta1jragosta1 Member Posts: 49
    It's worse than that. No matter HOW you drive the car during a test drive, you may not see the problem. My new ES330 didn't have any problem for the first thousand miles or so. It takes a while for the transmission to learn your driving patterns. Somehow, during that learning process, it learns all these bad habits. So, even if the car you buy has no problem, it very well might have a problem in a month or so.
  • kippcarkippcar Member Posts: 6
    To k1mri, Well, I have owned my '04 330 for a year. Every time I bring it in for service the service manager discounts the tranny issues, certainly as directed by Toyota Corp. And I bring it up every time, having it noted on the repair/service receipt. I have posted complaint with the NHTSA. I went in today fully expecting to trade up. My sales person admitted to the tranny jerking issue. Wanted to upgrade to a GS430 but was mega-lowballed on trade. When asked why, I was told they are not in demand, although I could not find one '04 for sale with EVERY option in the Mpls metro. For 37K, I expect the refinement Lexus so richly touts. It is a nightmare on freeway on-ramps!! No way am I going to drop 58K on the GS with this treatment. I'm a car junkie, purchasing new every two years. This is the first and last Lexus I purchase due this luxury brand having a proclivity to turn the other cheek when major problems arise. Headed to get an M45 tomorrow.
  • jeanijeani Member Posts: 7
    I'm not sure what might be the problem, but the car had stalled two different times when I changed gears from reverse to drive (once at 300 and the other at 1K miles). The dealership hasn't figured it out, but the car drives fine otherwise. Any thoughts? Also, my car has adjustable pedals, do you think that may have something to do with it?
  • es4jbes4jb Member Posts: 17
    Over the past few weeks I have learned how the vehicle shifts and I find it less of a problem in normal driving. However I did have a bad experience today. I was making a right turn into traffic and someone pulled out and around another car....it was one of those moments when you have to punch it to speed up and get out of the way fast. I punched, and....for a loooonnnnnggggg few seconds nothing much happened. No accident but it rattled me. To me this is the real problem - the power of the V6 was not there when I really needed it. I never had a car act like this. I did write to Lexus to express my concerns. I am still not going to do the firmware reprogram at this point.
  • gwestboundgwestbound Member Posts: 22
    I wanted a Lexus ES 330 so bad my teeth hurt. Though the front end reminds me of a smiling bug, the interior is gorgeous. Lexus' poor engineering and stone-walling of owners with the hesitation problem stopped me. I gathered some more dollars and bought an Acura RL. So far I'm very happy with the Acura. This can't be helpful to Lexus’ image and sales.
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    I don't own a Lexus but was considering it till I read about the tranny problems.
    I test drove a Camry and noticed the same hestiation so won't be going there. I think Acura is my next choice to check.
    I wanted a very high quality car and excellent after-sales service. I reasoned if I gave the manufacturer and dealer the money to work with and a generous profit the quality would be there. The ES is essentially a Toyota Camry with a very deluxe interior. Lexus has to be making gobs of money on every one. The dealer I visited certainly had no concept of the term "best price". It's disheartening to see Lexus break faith with owners and treat them as poorly as a domestic automaker.

I can't fathom Toyota/Lexus' motivation, but suspect its engineering its cars to suite the EPA and DOE test cycles. It can't change ECM programming to improve drivability without incurring the U.S. government's wrath. Owners are therefore bafflegabbed and stonewalled. Unchecked, it will diminish Lexus’ reputation for quality and integrity.

I've had my Acura for almost a year. So far there have been no problems. The dealer has been very good, but all it has had to do is routine but expensive maintenance. There is no equivalent to the Lexus Owners' Club. Other than engineering and building a very good car, Acura makes no effort to have purchasers feel important or special. I think this is regrettable, but it's not my company.

Lexus owners can make themselves feel much better by looking in on the Mercedes, BMW and Audi forums. Their owners are really having problems, and they paid as much or more for their car!
  • roversdadroversdad Member Posts: 6
    "The ES is essentially a Toyota Camry with a very deluxe interior."

I really bugs me whenever I hear a comment like this. I've owned both, of the same generation, and they are not alike at all inside or out. The ES is much superior all over.
    I didn't intend to upset anybody. I very much wanted to buy an ES. However, after researching the car and learning of the power train issues and Lexus' poor owner relations, I switched my attention to an Acura RL.

Here's what Edmunds has to say about the relationship between the Lexus ES and the Toyota Camry.

"The history of the ES can be traced to Lexus' first year, 1990, when the ES 250 debuted. It was marketed as an "Executive Sedan," though we're pretty sure that executives saw it for what it was: a thinly veiled Toyota Camry with a price premium. Admittedly, the ES 250 was a stopgap plan for Lexus, and an improved ES 300 arrived in 1992. Though again based on a Camry platform, this one had much more distinctive styling, and remained popular for many years. The ES was last redesigned in 2002. The latest version is again similar to the Camry (also redone in 2002), though its appointments reflect the high levels of comfort, convenience and refinement that have become trademarks of Lexus luxury."

(http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/lexus/es330/100401983/researchlanding.html)

If the ES and Camry were less similar, if they didn't share power trains for example, the ES would be much more costly. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

My point is that for a premium price one should reasonably expect to receive a superior product and be afforded first class after sales service. This is not happening according to numerous correspondents here.
    Even I knew the ES was "paired" with the Camry when I got it, and though the Camry was a very good ride, the ES was just so much more in every way. The smoothness, quietness, quality of leather, finish (inside and out), ... Every time I walked away from the Camry, I thought "gee, what I nice car," but with the ES, it's been "gee, what a really nice car." Perhaps it takes living with them to appreciate the difference, but if they weren't made by the same company, you wouldn't think that one was just an upgrade of the other.

As far as Lexus' response to complaints of its transmission, yes, I too am stunned by it. I can't believe that they'd make it perform that way and strenuously hesitate to offer a "fix". I suspect that they simply meant the docile ES to have a transmission that expects a docile driver, but then why don't they admit that instead of blaming the driver? (As I see it, if you want performance, you're supposed to get an IS or GS.)

I have the previous generation ES, and the only problem is a delay most of the time when I press on the gas after lifting off -- it feels like waiting for a manual clutch to engage. Other than that, I have no problems and therefore cannot justify replacing this beast, and that really bugs me.
  • tcoetcoe Member Posts: 1
    I have read here that it is a transmission issue?!!! We were told by the dealer that it was an accelerator issue and 20% of Lexus have it. Thank goodness we are only leasing the car!!! How does Lexus get the good ratings by everybody???
    Counting down the days until our lease is over.
  • sandiegodriversandiegodriver Member Posts: 16
    It's been a few months since I've posted, but my silence is not an indication of satisfaction. I now have 8,500 miles on my '05 ES330. I had the "fix" done on the transmission several thousand miles ago, and it remains almost as bad as before the "fix". The transmission jerks and pauses and surges and hesitates and races and gasps. It is predictably unpredictable, and, frankly, I do not feel safe in the car in stop-and-go traffic because I cannot control it with the basic assumptions of driving: putting one's foot down on the accelerator to go forward, and releasing it to slow down. This Lexus simply doesn't respond in a predictable manner to those basic inputs.

I have filed another complaint with Lexus's customer "service" department, and continue to get their standard stonewalling: assurances that they aim to satisfy, promises to look into the problem, promises that they will call me back, etc. And of course the phone never rings. What a joke.

I share the comments of others that it is disappointing that the major car reviewers -- even Consumer Reports! -- do not mention this transmission problem. It may not affect every ES330, but it clearly affects a lot of them, and even if it is 10% of all ES330s sold (or whatever percentage), it is clear from all of the posts on this site and many other Internet sites that it is prevalent and serious enough to warrant at least a passing mention. Even Edmunds can't be trusted to provide the unvarnished truth.

The ES330 is, of course, wonderful in many ways. The ride is comfortable, the gas mileage decent, the interior beautiful and functional. But that's not enough. Having a serious transmission problem and then stonewalling customers who bring it to their attention and demand a solution definitely isn't worthy of a car company with the tag line of "the passionate pursuit of perfection."

We may be a statistical blip and may be, to Toyota, an acceptable margin of error that doesn't make much impact on their fat profit margins, but I and many, many others will not go away.

Lexus/Toyota managers: if you are reading this, I can tell you that I am doing everything in my power to negatively affect your reputation. I tell anyone and everyone I know -- friends, family, business associates, neighbors -- about my experiences with this lousy car and my experiences with YOU. At least two people have chosen NOT to buy one of your cars based on my bad experiences with you. It is my hope and expectation that, at some point soon, you will wake up and take care of the multitude of problems you have created with this transmission.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    Someone over at the Edmunds Engine Hesitation forum recently reported he went through arbitration after the ECM reprogramming did not cure the hesitation. He is awaiting the final results, but the Toyota representative at the arbitration hearing said that all Toyota's (and presumably Lexus') with this drivetrain all have a 1 sec. hesitation, it is built into the vehicles intentionally to "protect the drivetrain" and it was not the intent of the reprogramming TSB to fix it. I hope the arbitrator is astute enough to read the TSB which clearly states that it is for hesitation problem. It is very frustrating how Toyota/Lexus is handling this issue.
  • sdericosderico Member Posts: 1
    This is unbelieveable. I thought it was just my 96 ES300 having transmission problems. The dealer wants to charge me $4k to fix it. I have high mileage 180k but I was thinking I should get at least 50-100k before the car dies.

I've called Lexus customer service to complain also. I just called on 9/6/05 and I'm still waiting for a call back. Looks like I will be waiting for a while.

What can we do? Is it possible to prepare a list of owners (VIN #) experiencing the same thing? Do you think Lexus cares? It wouldn't hurt to try something.

I was thinking of purchasing another Lexus..I'm I crazy!!!
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    Your vehicle is not having the same problem as most others' on this board. The problem we discuss is a design problem in post-2002 vehicles.

Sounds like you need a new transmission or an individual vehicle repair.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,238
    What's unbelievable to me is that you're complaining about a problem with a 9 year old car with 180k miles that's way, way out of warrenty! :surprise:
  • snaab93se1snaab93se1 Member Posts: 69
    I have a 2005 ES330 and it has the same hesitation problems everyone has experienced. Just wanted to let other owners know that I found by switching to regular 87 octane gas the hesitation decreased dramatically and the car does not jerk/lurch forward....although there is a slight decrease in performance. I'm thinking the problem lies in the transmission not being able to handle the power output of the engine. If anyone wants to try this post your results on here...I saw a huge improvement by the second tankful of regular
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    You are complaining to Lexus about a tranny issue in a 180K mile car?? come on, get real!! I'm guessing you bought this 96 ES used? And what i'll guess is that you didn't do the proper inspection on the car and the previous owner was not maintaining it as well as he could have.
  • whit66whit66 Member Posts: 7
    So you feel that using regular gas has shown improvement of the hesitation? I will see what happens
    Yes I really do see an improvement....I was shocked. Not sure how long I'm keeping this car since it was rearended at 900 miles and 3 weeks old....waiting for a payoff from the ins company. Only complaints so far have been paint that chips far too easily on a car this price, the hesitation and the master cylinder failed at 1000 miles and the brakes failed completely. I expected more.
  • shocasershocaser Member Posts: 36
    This past weekend was the first time since I got the firmware upgrade (2,500 miles ago) that I pushed the car at higher speeds (50 - 80 mph) in heavy traffic. I did not realize that the hesitation problem was as pronounced at the higher speeds as it is at the lower speeds. Punching the gas to change lanes, the car still has the 1 - 2 second delay. This car sucks!
  • splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    A relative of mine bought a 2005 Highlander. The transmission has a terrible delay. I can push the gas pedal to the floor and release it without a single response from the engine. It's absurd. I can slap the gas pedal to the floor and let it up a dozen times or more and there's not a blip of rpm increase. The delay seems very dangerous. I know this engine and transmission are similar to the Lexus -- does anyone else notice this problem? I've advised my relative to take it back to the Toyota dealership and have it looked at, but he's reluctant.

Thanks for your help
  • que2que2 Member Posts: 9
    I have seen a huge improvement with regular gas too. Started using regular about a month ago and the car feels like 1/2 ton of dead weight is out of the trunk. The hesitation is not entirely gone but much, much better. Haven't done the TBS flash.
  • jmlawjmlaw Member Posts: 2
    Hello, can you please update if you followed through on the lemon law and how it turned out. Many thanks, think of same approach, I'm an attorney in KY. Jerry
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I was thinking of trading in my problematic Acura TL on a Lexus 330. However, it seems that Lexus is also having long-term tranny issues.

I believe that the Lexus tranny issue has been going on for three or four years...what is happening here?
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    Does the transmission problem also exsist in the new 2005 camry?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Both Toyota and Lexus seem to be suggesting that the use of Premium fuels will help to alleviate the transaxle downshift throttle delay sequence. Some posters have indicated that it does seem to help.

With that thought in mind has any one tried one of the various HP "boost" systems(***) that modify the IAT (Intake Air temperature) signal? These systems seem to falsify the IAT signal in a way that results in running a richer mixture than the optimum insofar as lower emissions levels are concerned.

Seemingly the same effect as using a higher octane in that the engine would be less likely to knock or ping.

***:

[url=http://www.hurricane-horsepower.com]http://www.hurricane-horsepower.com[/url]

Or search on Ebay or google for:

"progressive tuner"
    I have the previous ES, and so, the current one is the natural upgrade path, but these transmission stories are a worry. If I bought a used, current ES and drove it for an hour or so, would I notice the delays and hesitation you're all experiencing? Are there specific, repeatable tests I can try?

Some months ago, I had a 2005 ES loaner for a day, and I made a point of looking for "transmission issues". I drove ~140 km and thought I noticed the transmission having trouble at times figuring out what gear to be in when I pushed. (Was that it?)But a month later, I had another 2005 ES loaner for a couple of hours, and the "transmission issues" were not on my mind, and after 20 km, I realised that I hadn't noticed any problems at all. The car was just so wonderfully smooth and quiet. Is this just an issue with some of them or do you need to push to notice?
    Its quite easy to notice....here are two ways for you to test:
    1) slow down to about 10-15 mph then accelerate...you will probably notice about a 2 second delay after you accelerate and then the car with lurch forward and accelerate. This is very noticable in heavy stop and go traffic especially when the freeway backs up.
    2)Get the car up to about 60 on the freeway the press the accelerator all the way to the floor as if you needed to pass something or get out of the way fast...you'll notice a good 2-3 second delay before the car accelerates at all.

The dealers are aware of this problem but lexus still considers it "Normal" so there is not much that can be done....I've been told to use premium gas but that seems to make things worse...I've had less hesitation with tanks of 87 octane.

Want my advice....get a new XLE V6 Camry....will still cost less than a used lexus, you get a full 3 yr warranty and the drivetrain works better
    there are three circumstances in which the hesitation is detectable. All three are very well defined in great detail in a Toyota TSB first issued in April of 2003.

At this time I am quite sure that not every DBW V6/5-speed transaxle equipped Toyota/Lexus vehicle is prone to exhibiting the problem, maybe as few as 10%. But the problem is, seems to be, that even that 10% will not always replicate the problem reliably.
    I went from a four year old Camry (had it since new) to a three year old ES (same generation), and there’s no way I’m going back. The ES is soooooooo much nicer in virtually every way.

But even this ES (a 1999) has what you describe. It’s like it has a manual clutch that gets disengaged every time you let up on the gas. The next time you put your foot down, you almost always have to wait (up to only one second) for something to happen, and it feels just like a manual clutch engaging. And those few times when there is no delay, I’m caught by surprise.

I even remember test driving my first ES three years ago. I came to a familiar corner, hits the brakes, turned in, pressed the gas on exit, and there was nothing for a good second, and I wondered what was going on. Then, all of a sudden, the car just took off.

I still liked the car, so I bought one anyway, but that must’ve contributed to the fact that I’m much less aggressive now with the accelerator, and didn’t notice it on the new car unless I looked for it. I do remember one time with the long drive in the current ES where I pressed down and waited, and the transmission seemed like it went into one gear, decided against it, and then engaged another. That was very off-putting.

But I see this as Lexus’ way of making this car as smooth as possible, which is the goal of this model. (For smoothness, they want minimal engine braking, so they disengage the clutch as much and as quickly as possible the moment you let up.) They have two cars the same size, the ES and the GS, and if you want performance, you get the GS. But then they equipped and priced the two cars differently, and they’ve wound up with people who want performance (or responsiveness) but who can’t (or won’t) afford a GS.

The smart (and simple) thing for Lexus to do is simply add a switch, much like the adjustable suspension switch, that lets the driver decide how he wants the transmission to behave, and give up on this dumb notion of a “learning transmission”. They need to accept BMW’s finding that you can’t guess what the driver wants -- BMW even offers the driver 11 settings! Hey, if they want to compete with BMW, they need to think like BMW (or at least smarten up!).

Buuuuuuuut, … it’s hard to give up on the brand. I can’t ignore what you’re all saying about the current ES, so I’m considering a used GS.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    The smart (and simple) thing for Lexus to do is simply add a switch, much like the adjustable suspension switch, that lets the driver decide how he wants the transmission to behave, and give up on this dumb notion of a “learning transmission”. They need to accept BMW’s finding that you can’t guess what the driver wants -- BMW even offers the driver 11 settings! Hey, if they want to compete with BMW, they need to think like BMW (or at least smarten up!).

First of all, the Lexus ES is no BMW. Lexus never intended to compete with BMW with the FWD ES. The target demographic was 40 something white collar workers who make close to six figure salary who want to move up to something that is more luxurious than a V6 Camry. Judging by the sales figure, they have succeeded. Now, if you want a Lexus that drives like a BMW get the upcoming IS350. With a 306 HP engine and a six speed auto, that is one heck of a car. I am sure there will be absolutely no hesitation with that car
    You may want to check out the Engine Hesitation forum - much of the focus is on the transmission hesitation in the various Toyota/Lexus models.

"Engine Hesitation (All makes/models)"
  • aminkleinaminklein Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2005 Lexus ES 330. It now has 700 miles. The transmission hesitation and rough shifting is driving me crazy. Lexus can only recommend using a high octane gasoline. I would pursue the lemon law here in Massachusetts, but I need four repair invoices, showing the dealer's inability to correct the problem. My problem is that the dealer says that it is normal for the car, and won't attempt any repairs. I'm dissapointed to learn from the forum that it's such a widespread issue.
    Lexus/Toyota has acknowledged that this is a problem because they have issued a Technical Service Bulletin documenting what needs to be done for the repair. Take your car in, try a different dealer if necessary, and demand that they perform the fix outlined in the TSB. This may or may not fix the problem (there have been mixed results). If it doesn't work, have them do it the multiple times needed to invoke your state lemon law.
  • pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    You may have unintentionally given some wrong advice Scoti.
    Yes, Toyota/Lexus has acknowledged a problem *may* occur by issueing that TSB.
    However, a TSB doesn't mean it's a universal problem affecting all of a given make/model.
    The intent of a TSB is to advise a fix for a given symptom or condition--if it occurs.
    A TSB does not indicate a "Problem" is designed into a given make/model, and it certainly doesn't mean that everyone who owns a given make or model can expect the condition to occur.
    You also suggest a Lemon Law litigation after 4 visits to the dealer--right from the git go. Guns blazing isn't always the right approach.
    Given that a fix is available if a problem occurs, plus--given this is the way DBW trannys feel not only on Toyota products but common to others as well--advising Lemon Law option straight away is premature.
    I think the right advice would have been just to take it back and get the dealer to try again because switching to high test gasoline didn't get satisfaction. Perhaps try another dealer. Try contacting the manufacturer direct. See if it occurs in another unit of the same make and model.
    Fixating on Lemon Law litigation could very easily turn out to be a disaster.
    Did you take the time to read the post I was responding to?
    Yes I did, and I spoke out because I honestly believe it wasn't good advice by raising the expectation that a Lemon Law route might be the way to go at such an early stage.
    You did suggest two, but I believe it may have been wiser and more prudent for you to suggest other alternatives before pulling the trigger on Lemon Law.
    This individual is a long way from a "last resort" alternative.
    "....such an early stage...." ???

The initial TSB was available in the spring of 2003, was it not?

And does the TSB, in any form whatsoever, indicate a limited application, certain vin#'s, build date, etc?

Anyone wonder what the car rental agencies are doing about this?
    What I meant was "such an early stage...in the development of this individual's problem."
    And you're correct in that this TSB isn't limited to a specific time, application, etc.
    But any TSB is well short of a recall as you know. Furthermore, any TSB is not in any way indicative of a systemic problem with an entire product line, in spite of inferences to the contrary by some.
    All things considered though, I still think it's premature to jump into Lemon Law so quickly.
    700 miles, one trip to a dealer, then go direct to Lemon Law? Unwise in my opinion.
    It was the individual who brought up Lemon Law as an avenue. You seemed to ignore that and that is why it seemed apparent to me that you did not read his post. I guess you just chose to ignore that portion of it.
    aminklein,

Below is the link to the TSB as found on www.alldata.com for the Lexus ES330. I suggest you print this out and go back to your dealer or go to a new dealer.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Lexus/1112342400000_1112770800000_TC004R-03/41.html
  • dshahsdshahs Member Posts: 35
    I test drove the 2006 es for about 30 minutes and there were no hesitations at all. I then test drove the 2005 es and i could definately feel the hesitation. The 2 cars are night and day different. FWIW i would say buy the 2006 es if you are worried about the hesitation problems.
  • jragosta1jragosta1 Member Posts: 49
    Sorry, buying the 2006 doesn't help. The drivetrain is identical. The problem is caused by the way the transmission learns your driving patterns. I would guess that the 2006 hadn't been driven enough to learn the driving patterns.

After every update, I've found that the problem went away - for about 500 miles. If Lexus would just go back to the default and disable the learning, I'd be happy.
    Let's put a stop to this "urban legend", PLEASE.

There are some aspects of your personal driving habits that some of the newer vehicles adapt too, adjust certain parameters.

But every one of these learned traits goes through a BRAIN WIPE when the ignition is turned off.

How can it be any other way, otherwise the car rental companies would need a special procedure to follow each time a car was returned.

It is my understanding that within 60 seconds of when you start the car in motion the system has roughly categorized you into one of four driving styles/types. within the next 120 seconds it further resolves, refines, your driving style into one of sixteen categories.

Thereafter it keeps only a three minute memory of your activities and will revise your driving style/type again and again if necessary.

Now, having said that, there are certain parameters, unique to each car, and only to the car, that are "learned" on the fly. One of these being the idle air bypass control solenoid. Over time the car learns the proper PWM duty cycle for this solenoid based on the downstream feedback from the oxygen sensor and the fuel feed level required to maintain the factory designated engine idle speed.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    http://www.lexus.com/models/es/performance.html

The ES owes its smooth, elegant ride in part to its revised five-speed automatic Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i) that gives you smoother shifting and effortless acceleration. Improved grade logic holds the transmission in lower gear when going downhill, decreasing the amount of braking necessary so there's less brake wear

Could this be the reason for improved performance ?
    What do u think WWest ?
    "Improved grade logic holds the transmission in lower gear...."

That statement appears to be an oblique way of saying that the new transaxles exhibit more reluctance to upshifting during closed throttle coastdown circumstances.

Hopefully that will constitute a final fix for the engine/throttle hesitation symptom.

But I would guess that ther are not yet enough 2006 vehicles in the hands of owners to be able to say with certainty.
    Complaints of a hesitation/transmission problem are starting to appear in various Toyota Avalon forums. One would think Toyota would engineer it out of a brand new model. Apparently that's not the case.
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    If they keep making larger, heavier cars, with the same or enhanced power, with the same or better gas mileage, would not SOMETHING have to give SOMEWHERE?

The fact that they continue to do this leads me to believe that the 2007 will not be any better without one of these parameters (power, gas mileage or size, or cost) being changed in an undesirable direction. Specifically, the problem will still be there if we keep the increased size, reduced gas mileage, increased power, and price of the 2006.
  • es4jbes4jb Member Posts: 17
    I now have driven my ES330 for 3500 miles and I have some conclusions about the vehicle. For starters, I don't think there is anything wrong with the car - it's just doing what it was designed to do. Basically the vehicle is a sophisticated computer controlled system which pretty much decides how the engine and transmission work together. We communicate with that system with our hands and feet. In the old days a car had real linkage with the engine so when you pressed down on the accelerator, you "gave it gas". Those days are long gone. Now when you press the accelerator, it's to let the computer know you want to go faster.

I realized that no amount of "reprogramming" is going to make this car "feel" like an old-style vehicle. So I am learning to live with it.

I don't use the "D" drive mode much. I put the car in 4th most of the time and pop into "D" when I want to engage the 5-speed at cruising speeds. I think that the car goes into overdrive much to soon, which feels like less power.

I use premium gas. Yeah, I know, it's expensive, but this car really wants it, and it does make a difference.

I don't use the AUTO mode for air conditioning. I think the AC system drains too much power. I rarely put the blower on high.

These 3 things have made my interactions with the car better. It's not a BMW or a Porsche. It's a comfortable car not a performance vehicle.