Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sparknsparkn Member Posts: 1
    31600 OTD in northern VA.
    Went to two different dealers last night (8/31/09) and finally picked one up at 31600OTD, white/beige with tech. Good deal?
  • sarav01sarav01 Member Posts: 10
    Sparkn,

It is a great deal. Can you give a breakdown of your OTD price?
  • 1bythesea1bythesea Member Posts: 52
    To be honest, I used a free auto advise service provided through my credit union. A guy met me at the dealership and checked the bottom line price, including delivery, to make sure I was getting a good deal. Additional costs were tax, tag, title. Boy! What a stress free buying experience! If you have such a service available to you, I suggest looking into it.

I would bet some of the expert buyers here could give you a better idea of what to shoot for. You may want to check out truecar.com for pricing in your area. I found the site very helpful when researching. Good luck!!!
  • sr_shahsr_shah Member Posts: 16
    Bought 2010 Acura TSX 4 cyl auto trans with Tech Pkg in black/ebony in NJ for base price (incl dest) of $30,643 and OTD price of $33,500. Doc fees were $298. This was the cheapest I could find among 4-5 dealers. Dealers are very unwilling to sell at the invoice price. Thanks to all posters as it helped in negotiations.
    You are quite welcome. If I understand correctly you got the tech package for the same cost as a base model? If that's true you did get a good deal. Congrats! Enjoy your new wheels.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    HOLY WOW! That's a spectacular deal! Invoice is $30612, so you paid a bit more than $300 over invoice. Doc fees in NJ are pure profit. Congrats brother! I paid $1500 over invoice for mine just a week & a half ago. What dealer did you buy from?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

thanks, nyccarguy. I bought it from Springfield Acura. I didnt get any freebies though despite trying (not even wheel locks). The next best deal was 34k OTD at Precision Acura. All others wanted at least $800-1000+ over invoice because these cars are in demand and/or the supply is tight. Springfield acura seems to have better inventory than others.
  • gpb59gpb59 Member Posts: 106
    I believe here in Las Vegas they still have several of these in inventory at both dealerships. What would be a good price to offer on them. I imagine they must be stubborn with parting with them because I've checked several dealers in southern cal that have none left.
  • trendy10trendy10 Member Posts: 5
    I closed the deal on a '09 base model in early August. I got an OK price but probably could have done better. What really pissed me off were the sales people. First, the "appraiser" shows up and tells me the market has collapsed on the used Accord I am trading in. So much BS. Then this guy tells me his Honda buyer is giving him the numbers. He can't ID the guy. So, more BS. Then, I get passed on to the Internet sales guy and he wants to borrow my keys so he can look at the car again. Funny, but he does not return them and I am waiting. This is an old sales trick that I thought was long ago phased out. So, I am looking at the sales guy like he is a fool but doesn't know it. This crap goes on and on and on. A couple of more stunts were pulled before I was passed on to the "closer" sales manager. He was an OK guy but had to continue with the charade of the "key" thing. I finally had to ask for my keys and I gave the guy a really [non-permissible content removed] look, like who does he think he's kidding. As it turned out, I finally bought the car the following week but their detail shop did an incomplete job and I had to wait around. I had not paid for the car yet and nearly walked out. Anyway, I have the car but would just as soon forget about the jerks I had to deal with at the dealership. Sorry that I cannot disclose the dealership but it is in the greater Seattle area.
    Sorry to hear you had such a bad buying experience. Normally, I'd rather have a root canal than buy a car, but my experience was good this time around.

That is BS about your Honda. Used cars are actually selling BETTER than new cars. Because of this, most dealers are marking up the price. So I'm sure they will make a pretty tidy profit on your Honda.

Hope you really enjoy the new TSX! Maybe the driving pleasure will help ease the pain.
    wheel locks are useless anyway. You have to keep them IN THE CAR in case you get a flat and have to change a tire. So a would be thief who REALLY wants your wheels will break your window & rummage through your car to get the wheel locks.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

You have a point there. Didn't think about that! :)
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Ah.. you gotta love the service these days! I have a Honda dealership here that is the same way. Completely rude. Thinking that its my first time around the block. I know my way around people. lol, they act like we're dumb. Atleast if your honest, and just tell me that you cant move on the deal, then to lie to me. I would respect you much more. Don't insult us. Plus, they have young kids running the joint, and I know more about the car than they do.

My thinking is that word of mouth can be good or bad for your business, you treat me well, and I am a free bulletin board for your business. Trust me, I tell everyone not to go there. They don't! Apparently, I am not the only one. lol, I am going to a bigger city to get my next car. Where there are real dealerships, that are professional.

Its too bad. I work with a lot of people, so I always tell them to not go there!
  • weno2weno2 Member Posts: 38
    Last year (New Year's Eve) I was going to trade in my 3 1/2 years old 05 TSX for a 2008 BMW 535xi (I've owned Acuras since 1986 - Integra (86), Vigor (92), and current TSX). On the trade-in, I was offered $11.5K for a excellent conditioned TSX w/31K miles (book was $15.7K). I laughed, paid off the car (owed $5K) on New Year's Day, and just loving the current deals happening, and the value of pre-owned cars staying steady. I still like driving my TSX, but I LOVED the Integra (5 speed).
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Paid $18,600 for a virtually new 06 TSX MT w/NAVI with 20K miles on it. The previous owner bought it 4/07 (sat around somewhere for 6 months - originally delivered to Curry Acura in NY but it was bought at Radley in VA). Basically, it's a 2 yr old car. Original sticker was over 30K. I was looking for any kind of mark on it while washing it and I finally found one, barely, and it's not even on the front of the car. Just a thought for some of you debating new vs. used.
  • mattdadeemattdadee Member Posts: 13
    That seems like a pretty good buy. I just found someone on Craigslist with the same TSX, Navi, 35K, and is asking for $19,400. I'd like to use your example to talk her down. When did you buy?
    Last week and I probably left some money on the table. The car was listed at $19,500 and the seller agreed to my price without a counteroffer. At min you should go $500 under KBB private sale.
  • obguyobguy Member Posts: 1
    I guess the only way things will get better is if you walk away and don't tolerate that behaviour. When I bought my Audi, 8 years ago, the BMW dealer did something similar; notice I said when I bought my AUDI. BMW called 2 days later and tried to get the sale, still bought the AUDI and now I'm in the market, guess which dealer I still haven't gone to in my research...
    I just had a dealer offer me $1,000 below invoice on a 2010 TSX Base. $27,769 (delivery charge included) - $1,000 = $26,769. Did I just really hear that? The price I got before that from another dealer was $29,725!

I don't want to disclose all of the details until I get the deal sealed, but is such a good offer possible? I will be sure to let you know what happens as I plan to get this thing purchased in the next few days.
  • sounds_goodsounds_good Member Posts: 27
    >> $27,769 (delivery charge included) - $1,000 = $26,769

Matt, will they be adding any dealer fees or destination charges to that price? If not, that's a price that would get me to buy right now.

The best price I've seen so far is very close to yours, BUT, then they add fees on top of that price!

:cry:
    I was a little skeptical myself, and I'll wait until I see the paperwork. This is why I didn't give all of the details away.

He was strangely up-front about everything on the phone and mentioned this price in the first two sentences without me having to pry it out of him (the usual elsewhere). Maybe cash-for-clunkers is producing more of a hangover than we thought.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't see too many hidden costs, but even with some small things, I can't complain. Also, I was looking to lease, so I'm having him make sure this deal was OK with Honda Finance. Will keep you posted...
    It could also be that Honda is giving the dealers money under the table. :shades:
    I asked three other Acura dealers to match this offer today, and they all thought it was an impossible deal. The "there's no way they can make money selling below invoice" was sweet, but unbelievable. Two salesmen at the one dealership actually suggested that the dealership making the "unbelievable" offer was probably selling cars damaged at import or salvaged. They also told me that $300-$400 below MSRP is a good price. My wife replied: "Yeah, for suckers." I'm still pissed thinking about this and other comments they made. Do I look that stupid, and do others fall for that s*$&?

Also, why the hell would Acura let one of its dealerships sell cars that have damage or are under a salvage title as new? Even if Acura did, I'm sure regulatory bodies would shut such a place down in a second. I'm not concerned with their idle threats--it's a frickin' registered Acura dealership, not Bob's Lemon Mart. I think the place packed full of lying salesmen should be shut down. These are the kind of people that make the car buying experience so screwed up, and I truly feel sorry for all of the suckers who have been taken for a ride.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    That offer isn't real until the deal is done, the paperwork signed & the car delivered. Hope you pull it off. Let us know.

There is such a thing as bait and switch.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Oh, I'm worried about that. I've encountered a few too-good-to-be-true deals in my life. I'm going to try it nonetheless to see what happens. The worst result would be for me to drive three hours to be really pissed (1.5 each way). I'll then be sure to contact the BBB and the Attorney General's office to at least give me some recourse. The best result, on the other hand, would be a signed, sealed, delivered deal as promised, which would give me the best price in my area by far.
  • camry_chicamry_chi Member Posts: 14
    Took me a while to post this message but I finally bought the car I wanted to buy in the first week of Sep. The dealer had initially turned me away from the price offered to me in an email - "sorry there was a mistake". But I was finally able to persuade them to honor the offer with a little bit of help from the friendly lawyers at work. I got a Grigio/Ebony, 4 cyl, with tech package, auto transmission. I also got 5 accessories (I wanted only 3 of these, but didn't bother to ask them to take away 2 others). Body side moulding, splash guards, all season mats, wheel locks and trunk tray. Here's what I paid

Car (with destination) 29,520
    Accessories 740

Total OTD 32,890
    (New Jersey taxes and other fees. Includes doc fees of 195).
    >> Car (with destination) 29,520
    >> Total OTD 32,890
    >> (New Jersey taxes and other fees. Includes doc fees of 195).

$29,520 sounds like a great price. But what other fees did you pay? (I'm trying to negotiate a deal right now.)

Thanks!
  • camry_chicamry_chi Member Posts: 14
    > $29,520 sounds like a great price. But what other fees did you pay? (I'm trying to negotiate a deal right now.)

I shouldn't have used the word fees. It was more like title, registration etc.
    Here's a break up again.

Car 29,520
    Accessories 740
    NJ tax @7% 2,118
    Subtotal = 32,378
    Doc fees = 195
    Title, registration, NJ tire tax = 316
    OTD = 32,890
  • starfruitstarfruit Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Can I have your sales person's contact info at Hopkins Acura, Redwood City, CA. I am trying to buy a 2010 Acura TSX. Will go straight to your sales person.

Thanks.
  • austexaustex Member Posts: 62
    Just picked up a precertified 09 TSX BASE with 15K miles in texas for 27500 OTD. What do you;ll think of the price?
  • gpb59gpb59 Member Posts: 106
    sounds pretty good, I've offered 29 OTD on tech models slight used 2009 and they practically laughed at me
  • austexaustex Member Posts: 62
    you asked precertified 09 TSX Tech 29000 OTD? that would be an awesome deal
  • ncorruptblencorruptble Member Posts: 1
    Just got back from the dealer and this was the price we got. We had tried Internet pricing first. but being unsatisfied with the price, decided to negotiate in person. Our internet quote was talked down to $28,269.

In the dealer, it was very difficult to negotiate much further than this. Our salesman wouldn't even consider throwing in any accessories. In the end, this is what we wound up with after their whole spiel about needing to pay the bills:

$28,100.00 2010 TSX Base AT Grigio/Ebony (Includes Destination)
    $ 1,967.00 NJ Sales Tax (7%)
    $ 354.00 NJ Motor Vehicle Fee (4-year registration + plates)
    $ 189.00 Document Fees (Lowest that I've found in NJ)
    $ 7.50 NJ Tire Tax
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------
    $30,617.50 Out the Door Price

What do you think? Hope this helps someone.. reading these forums certainly helped me in my purchase.
  • amatistaamatista Member Posts: 15
    I'm in CA and was the lowest price I've found is $27,519 plus TTL for an OTD of $30398.48. Hope that helps!
    I'm planning on buying a 2010 TSX next weekend, and am looking into advice regarding buying the dealer installed security/alarm system. Are they worth it, and what have you been quoted?

TIA!
    :)
    CAR ALARMS are a wast of money. If someone wants to steal your car, they will. When's the last time you called the police when you were walking down the street or through a parking lot and a car alarm was going off?

• nhannhan Member Posts: 2
    Camry Chi,

Could you please provide the name of the dealer? I am also in NJ and want to buy a same car soon.

Thanks
  • mugenex6mugenex6 Member Posts: 33
    In my experience, dealerships always charge way too much for a Security system. I've seen dealerships charge $500 and above. If you really want a security system, go find an reputable place and get a Clifford or Viper. I've been using Clifford alarms (security system with remote starts) on my Honda's and Acura for past 10 years like the clifford Matrix 2.2 and they've been extremely reliable. I wouldn't recommend letting places like Best buy or Circuit City. Don't go to places where they have some HS kids installing stuff. Acura's electronics is complicated and you want to get it installed where they have experienced techs, this means you will have to do a little research. I think you will get alot more for your money if you get it installed outside somewhere (instead of a car dealership).
    .... In the end.. nyccarguy is right.. if someone really wants to steal your car, they will. I would only spend the money on IF I'm going to be able to hear the alarm atleast MOST of the times when it goes off. Others won't pay attention to your alarm, most people just ignore car alarms.
    I have good news to report on my below invoice offer on the 2010 Base. The dealer came through as promised with a $26,769 sale price. We leased instead with Acura Financial, so the numbers change a little bit, but they reflect a better deal than I could even get from a broker:

$423.77 OTD cost (advance first month payment of $358.77 and registration at $65)
    $358.77 per month for 36 months (a $1007.93 estimated tax at 6.75% (Ohio) rolled into the monthly payment)
    10,000 miles with $.20 per mile over
    $18975.60 residual value/purchase option

If I wanted, I could have been OTD for purchase at $26,769 + $1,807 (tax) + $65 (registration). It is an amazing deal, and I have no idea how they do it. Frankly, I don't care. The closing was amazingly smooth and took only about 30 minutes. We drove to Acura of Dayton from Columbus (about 100 mi.), walked in the showroom, looked at the car, signed a few papers, and drove away. I know many people in these posts are East Coast or West Coast buyers, but Midwesterners should take advantage. The salesman, Richard Estes, is cool, efficient, and friendly. He could be none of these for the price, but he even bothered to sync our phones with the car in those short 30 minutes. Acura of Dayton has similar deals going for TLs too, but he says delivery may take up to a month for any car, including new TSX purchases. We were lucky to get black w/ebony interior in just a week or so once all of the faxes had been exchanged.

Full disclosure: If you're in the Midwest, I would avoid Lindsay Acura (Columbus) at all costs. They're the ones who told us that the car would be dropped at port, be a salvage car, or otherwise. Wrong! I should report them to Acura for dumping on another legitimate dealer. Acura of Marion (salespersonMatthew Ault) and Acura of Columbus (salesperson Ginny Cryder) were helpful, but neither could beat Acura of Dayton's deal. Acura of Dayton's owner appears to be aggressively outpricing the competition. Kudos to him/her and his/her well-run dealership.
  • retrixretrix Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a new 2010 TSX base (black/black) from Acura of Libertyville, in Illinois. The whole sales process was quick and easy. We felt very comfortable there. Here is a breakdown of what we paid:

$27,500 car
    $800 delivery (this is a legit fee and appears on the Acura website)
    $1,993 taxes
    $151.65 processing
    $169 new license plate fees

$30,613.65 OTD

They originally offered $28,000 for the car and accepted the deal when I came back with $27,500. I assume that they are getting additional kick backs from Acura but I still think it was a great deal, and the fees are much lower than some of the post I've seen here. :)
    I got a a 2010 base TSX white pearl/ebony from Metro Acura in Montclair, CA. Dealt with the internet/fleet manager, he matched the lowest price I found in all of SoCal, $26,709 plus $810 in destination. The specific vehicle included a few dealer accessories, i.e. mud flaps, taking the total price of the vehicle to $27,741. Add $55 in doc fee and $2500 in 9% California tax (!), $8.75 in CA tire fees and $406 in registration, my final OTD was 30712. It was a very simple process, done in less than 90 mins, no stress. Glad to be out of my :lemon: of a Murano!
  • funnyfoxfunnyfox Member Posts: 3
    my budget is 25k, do you think I have any possibilities to get a tsx pre-owned 2009? Cause when I test drive tsx 2010, I don't want to get an accord/carmy ...

I'm in Florida, 6.5% tax

It is way better~!!!!!!!!
  • hbeanhbean Member Posts: 10
    I am new to this forum and looking to lease a 2010 base Acura TSX. I am located in the midwest and might give this dealership a call to see what they can offer. It would be a drive, but that seems like a very good deal. Did you happen to get this deal at the very end of the month? Do you think that was motivating the dealership?
    The salesperson did seem anxious to get the deal sealed before the end of the month when we picked it up on the 30th, but this might have been for any number of reasons. At pick up, he said that the deal was still going but that delivery on some cars might be up to a month. Even if you get the car for a bit more, it's still a great deal.

Richard was very efficient, but also nice, so it might be worth five minutes of your time to just give him a call.
    >> The salesperson did seem anxious to get the deal sealed before the end of the month

I had salespeople contact me on the last day of the month (last month) asking if I'd come buy the car that day to help them with their quota.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    just the end of the month -- it was also the end of the quarter. Great time to deal for a car. It's also in the middle of the week. Only thing that would have made it better would have been lousy weather -- you'd have been the only prospect in sight.

This week, not so much.

Timing is everything.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • davegee2020davegee2020 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all,
    So....After reading several post - it appears that going for the 2010 TSX V6 with Tech package is not really a good call because the price jump and "overall" would make more sense to go with a TL...Correct? I'm new & not good at this whole car buying thing and do not want to get ripped off. Thanks!
  • doubleyoudoubleyou Member Posts: 1
    Well, I picked up a new 2010 TSX 4 cyl (base) this weekend for 29600 OTD in Houston (Texas has 8.25% tax)
    I decided that my $100 GPS won over the tech package although it was very slick and nice. I got my choice of 3 cars (Palladium with grey interiors) and I was out in 2 hours...
    Its a brilliant car!!!
  • litoturtolitoturto Member Posts: 9
    I just got a quote from a dealer in Philadelphia, PA area for a base 2010 TSX : 27390 + 810 (destination charge) = 28200 plus fees and tax. Is it a good deal? Need to find out soon because I'm planning to pick it up in the next 2 days. Thanks.
    litoturto: That seems like a reasonable deal, but have you shopped around with other Philly dealers? I paid less in Ohio and have seen better prices on these posts for other states, but that's definitely ballpark good. Maybe you could get them closer to the $26,959 invoice price. Also, how extreme are these "fees"? That' always an issue.

I'm sure you have more than one Acura dealer in close proximity to compare with, and it would be worth a few minutes to send a few e-mails or make a few phone calls.