Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX: Accessories & Modifications

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited September 2014 in Acura
What accessories/modifications have you added to your TSX?

Comments

• sdradioguysdradioguy Member Posts: 101
    Today, I got an internet quote for a TSX, 6sp, non-NAV. It was for full list price PLUS $395.00 for what the salesperson called the Acura Protection Package -- the wheel locks, trunk tray, and mud flaps you described. So, apparently, the three things are sold together often enough that they have a pkg. name.

Another dealer gave me an internet quote with the flaps, locks, and tray for about $200 below list. Not great, but much better than full list plus $400.

Thanks for the hondacuraworld.com reference. I'll check it out.

xplorx -- have you had any luck getting an insurance quote yet? I take it you're near the Bay Area. What's the range to insure TSX up there?
  • uncledaviduncledavid Member Posts: 548
    I have the TSX and the fogs. I got the dealer to install them as part of the purchase price and it wound up being a good deal.

Anyway, I live in Los Angeles and we don't have all that much fog. But, in ordinary conditions, I notice absolutely no benifit from the fogs, other then looking nice. The Xenons are much, much brighter.

A lot of TSX drivers complain that the dealer installed fogs look cheap. However, I really like them.

BTW, the rubber mat for the trunk is a really nice accessory to have. Try to get the dealer to throw that in as well.
    I figured the xenons by themselves would probably be just as good, if not better, than the fog lights. Besides, if I've made it this long with conventional lights, xenons are going to feel like getting a new pair of glasses (at least, from all the hype I've read).

Just about every dealer who has quoted me a price so far has included mud flaps, wheel locks, and the trunk tray -- the nice, rubber trunk tray. Why more cars don't come with those, I don't know. But anyway, it seems most dealers sell those three things together as an "Acura Protection Package". I feel better protected already.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Fog lights: on the TSX, fog lights are probably more for looks than anything else. The Xenons are incredibly bright all the way up to their very sharply defined horizontal cut-off, which often is just below the side-view mirror height of most cars. (I sometimes wonder if the guy in front of me thinks I'm flashing my brights at him when I hit a bump!)

With that being said, I think I still want the fog lights, but I don't really think getting them thrown into a purchase deal is going to gain you a lot. If you want to spend a few hundred more later, have them installed post-purchase after you've had a chance to evaluate driving with the Xenons.

I concur about the trunk tray. It's pretty nice. You can work the dealer to have that added for minimal or no added charge. The cargo net is also something you might work into the deal, since it requires minimal installation.

This page features installation guides (in PDF format) for many TSX accessories, including fog lights and the cargo tray. Read the guides to see if you think the procedure warrants "professional" installation or not.
    Thanks again for the hondacuraworld.com link. I don't think I'll have much trouble getting the accessories I want without getting gouged too badly. Good to have all this info as I get into negotiating prices.
  • kivigkivig Member Posts: 3
    I think the TSX is a fantastic car except for a problem that may cause me not to get it. It's only 4.7 inches off the ground!! If i need to get out in 5 inches of snow i wouldn't be able to. My current car is 6.5 inches offf, and has awd. This has none of that. Is there anyone who has owned a tSX over a winter that can comment or explain this?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,193
    They went on sale in April.. Maybe our friends in Nome can chip in with their experience.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• detpadetpa Member Posts: 3
    just wondering if anyone out there has had any luck with finding a trailer hitch for the tsx or knows about one coming available in the future. thanks in advance!
  • tommyijrtommyijr Member Posts: 56
    I purchased and installed a set of mud flaps that I got of off EBAY, they were only $65, they were authentic and actually came to me from an Acura dealership in CA. They were easy to install and look good.
  • tsxcellenttsxcellent Member Posts: 1
    I would love to get the TSX all weather mats, but can't bring myself, in principle, to spend $100 on four square feet of rubber. I've checked out some generic mats, but can't find any that fit right.

Does anyone know of any non-Acura brand that fits well (especially the driver's seat)? Some are trimmable, but the fit is still not good. Better yet - has anyone found prices lower than $90 plus shipping on the Acura product?
    I have the Milano Red w/ Parchment interior so getting the mats was a must, like you the price from Acura was a bit out of line ($120.00). I found them on Ebay for $80.00. Funny thing was they came to me from an Acura dealership in CA, I live in Virginia. They are so worth the money, and I like the way they look with the parchment carpeting. Good Luck.
  • redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    I read somewhere that the factory fogs can look cheap. Has anyone had experience with them?
    What do you mean by "cheap"? I have a pair of fog lights installed on my TSX, and they don't look cheap. They don't look as blue and bright as the HIDs, but I like the fogs lights better than the plain plastic covers.The bulbs can always be replaced to improve the light color temperature, too.
  • aardvarkaardvark Member Posts: 3
    Looking to get a TSX with the protection package of the trunk tray, flaps, etc. That sounds fine.

The fog lights sound like they're almost unnecessary given these types of headlights. I'd get them only if it's a good deal.

But how about the moonroof visor? Salesman says it is critical for cutting down on noise. True?
    I'm not real keen on their looks so will bypass if it really doesn't do the job.

Does it do the job, and is it worth getting?
    forget that stupid looking visor, kills the lines of the car.........get the all weather floor mats, far better investment...
  • williamwilliam Member Posts: 5
    my tsx
    ive added a injen cold air intake, i love it makes car sound agressive yet calm
    ive also added green neon underglow to it and i am waiting for dc to come out with catback exhaust system.
    <djp2104>
    the garage door thing is a pain... ive had my tsx for about 5 months and havent been able to get it to work yet
    tblazer503
    try autozone or preformance store they would mostlikely have what your looking for
  • members78members78 Member Posts: 140
    are there any laws about neon lights underneath the car, and is it a state thing, or what? also, how much does it cost to install neon lights?

i live in northern va, and yes there are lots of gray and silver tsxs. i bought a blue one a couple days ago, and so far i love the color. i was afraid i would wake up the next day and hate it! carbon gray is very flattering for this car, no doubt about it, but i wanted to stand out a bit and be different. plus the blue reminds me of a racing color, not unlike the m3 blue... though i wont pretend that it's in the same league as the bimmer.
    Blue stands out? Well yes, especially when you read that most of the TSX owners buy the Silver or Grey.....ME, I love my Milano Red, now that stands out and really looks good with the partchment interior.
  • members78members78 Member Posts: 140
    yeah that's true, the red is bright candy red. some kid at my school drives one, and i like its looks.

my coworker sells rims, so i might buy some from him. phat rims would look real nice on a tsx!
  • mbennett674mbennett674 Member Posts: 66
    Anybody hook up a Bluetooth handsfree set? Any suggestions?
  • lovemytsxlovemytsx Member Posts: 1
    I picking up my TSX Monday and wanted to know if I should get the moon visor as an option. I was told it cut down alot on the noise while driving with the moon roof open.

Theresa
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    If I were you, I would try the car without the moonroof deflector first and see what you think -- noise is a subjective thing. Our TSX seems pretty quiet without the deflector, and personally, I don't like the way they look.

We did have a deflector on our previous car -- a Subaru Forester -- and it really made the car quieter with the roof open. Note that the Forester has a huge moonroof, however, about 3 times larger than the small one on the TSX.

Craig
  • bmore_guybmore_guy Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone added heated mirrors? I saw that the Canadian version has heated mirrors and I assume that one of the switch blanks next to the moonroof switch is for them.
  • lukatmyshulukatmyshu Member Posts: 1
    So the TL comes available with this HandsFree link which allows you to use bluetooth to connect to your phone ... very slick. I read somewhere that this is actually a non-acura part that Acura was putting in the TL. Any idea if we can install it on a TSX?
  • node8node8 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have more information on this? The Euro Accord shows a new Bluetooth add-on available in April on their website and on this pdf http://www.honda.co.uk/brochure/download/cars/hondaAccord.pdf - Page 30
  • bluetsxbluetsx Member Posts: 1
    I have been through my first winter with my tsx and it was great. The VSA worked great and was very usefull as road condition changed. I didn't really experience any problem with snow height. I also know someone who has the tsx lowered with body kit, and he had no prolem either. I think the weight of the car has a lot to do with the handling also. I thnk you will be fine.
  • marc10marc10 Member Posts: 7
    I was wondering if the acura tl a-spec rims which are 235/40/18. would fit on a tsx?
  • neo662neo662 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,

just wanted to put a GREAT word in for myradiostore.com and dicsountcarstereo.com. They have the greatest customer service and they have some great products for MP3 playback for my '04 Acura TSX with Navi. Ask for Ralph at tech support discountcarstereo.com and mention this. he's a cool guy. he hooked me up with some cool stuff for my ride.
  • rihoopsrihoops Member Posts: 91
    Does anyone know if i can get some of the 2006 features installed in my 2005 TSX? Looking at the hands free phone and the IPOD link.
  • jfciii70jfciii70 Member Posts: 17
    Dont know about Acura,but was in Best Buy last night and noticed they are now installing a bluetooth kit for cars at around $400.
  • rdamon2rdamon2 Member Posts: 2
    The brochure for the 2006 TSX lists an A-Spec performance package as an available option. There are several items included, which can be purchased separately. I would like to know if anyone knows anything about the sport suspension system (one of the A-Spec options). What does it cost (I've asked a local dealer, but he hasn't gotten the information to me yet) and what is the effect on handling. Anybody have it? Is it a worthwhile option? I test drove a 2005 TSX today (they didn't have any 2006 6 speed manuals in stock). Seemed to handle quite well. I wonder how much better (worse?) the sport suspension system would make it.
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    You can get the A-Spec suspension for as little as $600 on the web. It's closer to $800-900 from the dealer. Either way, it's an OEM part and carries full factory warranty.

This is for '04-'05's. Not sure if pricing has changed for '06, but I suspect not.

By all accounts, the A-Spec suspension reduces body roll in turns and nose dive on braking, with little penalty to ride quality (I believe it's about 10% stiffer than stock). Quick transitons are also improved. This versus aftermarket coilovers, which are quite a bit stiffer, though adjustable, and lower ride height over two inches. The A-Spec drops the car ~one inch.

The stock TSX does handle very well, especially given the limitations of the OEM tires. The A-Spec only enhances the TSX's good handling and makes it that much sharper.

Really, you would probably be better off upgrading the tires first, drive them for awhile, then determine if you still want to upgrade the supension.

One nice thing about the A-Spec is that it is designed by Acura for the TSX. No incompatability issues. :shades:
  • rdamon2rdamon2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your comments. I am leaning towards your recommendation of taking the car as it is and then determining later if I would like the A-Spec suspension. Dealer said it would be about $800.
    These cars seem somewhat hard to find, particularly if you care about what color you want, and if you insist on manual transmission. Dealers tell me it may take a while to get what I want. Whereas they seem to have plenty of TLs.
  • hoxhox Member Posts: 24
    Considering a 2005 TSX with a full A-Spec kit on it? It has shiny wheels and dresses up the vehicle. The only change to performance is the suspension.

I'd appreciate your feedback on the A-Spec's value in the market place for resale. For me, the suspension is all that I really need.

Thanks for the input!

:shades: Hox
    I wouldn't bank on the full A-Spec kit adding anything to your resale price. At roughly $4500, it's not a very good value, IMO.

The good news is, if all you want are the suspension bits, they can be purchased separately from the body kit for as little as $600 on the web. :shades:
  • gotstarbuckgotstarbuck Member Posts: 6
    I just add a wing on my 06 TSX and I really don't like it. As a result, I have couple of question....
    1) Do you guys think I can order a lip wing and it will look better?
    2) If I take the wing off, how much it is to fix the holes?

Any idea will be greatful! Thanks!
    1) Not sure how much better or worse a lip wing will look compared to the wing spoiler.
    2) Repairing the holes will cost probably $500-$700
    The lip spoiler will definitely be more understated in appearance. I generally don't like wings on street cars, but I think the lip looks pretty good on the TSX.
  • pdxpuckpdxpuck Member Posts: 3
    Is it possible to switch the display units to metric in my TSX? I haven't found anything in the manual or by searching this board...
    Switch which display? AFAIK, the car either comes spec'd for the U.S. or for Canada. Pretty sure you can't switch.
  • pdxpuckpdxpuck Member Posts: 3
    bummer, I am most interested in the temperature display. Oh well... thanks.
  • rihoopsrihoops Member Posts: 91
    My buddy just got a 06 TSX. The bluetooth set-up is unreal. Anyone know if my 05 can be retrofitted for bluetooth?
    Hmm...I'm not familiar with a third party Bluetooth set-up for the TSX. If there is one, it's doubtful it would integrate into the car as seamlessly as the OEM version.

Try a search...
  • bigdaveinomahabigdaveinomaha Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone had the Hondata ECU reflash done to their TSX? I was checking out their site, www.hondata.com, and am very intrigued by what I see on the dyno charts. A reprogram of the ECU adds over 20 hp and 20 ft-lbs of torque in the middle of the power band over stock. I was just wondering if anyone has had this done and was hoping they could share their experiences.
    The Hondata reflash is one of the more worthy upgrades you can make to your TSX. Keep in mind that the most fun is had and felt above 5k rpm, but with your vtec point lowered to 5K and your redline raised to 7600 rpm, it is most definitely a must-have mod for the TSX.

Also, keep in mind that the dynos you're reading are likely for a TSX additionally outfitted with a Comptech Icebox CAI and a Comptech header. Either way, the Hondata is must-have. I don't have CAI or header yet, and I love the reflash.

Hondata is a reputable company as well. Get it. :shades:
  • devore420devore420 Member Posts: 30
    Maybe this has been discussed before, but is this generally thought to void the warranty with respect to engine-related problems? The manual doesn't seem to say this but I've heard that it does.
    Sure, I suppose if you were to walk into your dealership and proudly announce that you had your ECU reflashed, you MIGHT have some issues.

But, otherwise, there's no way for them to know, and it's generally held that the dealer must prove that a particular mod led to whatever problems you're having. Further, it's highly unlikely that the relflash will cause problems. We're not talking major changes here, just some tweaking, and Hondata is a very reputable company.

I've had zero problems with mine, just scads of fun. No one else I know with the reflash has had issues either. If you own the TSX, you owe to yourself to get it.
  • bigdaveinomahabigdaveinomaha Member Posts: 26
    I have done a lot of research on this company and actually received a phone call from one of the owners about my questions. That alone makes me think that the company takes care of its customers. For those of you that have the reflash, I want it just to have some fun in the sportshift mode. I would rarely ever run my engine above 7000 rpm. But if I want to have some fun and hold it in 3rd gear around town would I notice the extra pull between 5000 and 70000 rpm? I would like to hear about the real world driving impressions from the ones that have had it done. Thanks!
    With the lowered vtec point, you'll definitely feel a difference in performance. In fact, above 5000 rpm is will be where you feel it most. The power available is more useable since you don't have to rev the engine as high to reach vtec.

Also, given the power-sapping characteristics of automatic transmissions, I'd say it may be even more important for AT owners to get the reflash.

You're right about Hondata. They definitely take care of their customers, and are very responsive to queries.

Overall impression of the reflash? Increased performance across the board with no penalty, except maybe fuel economy (you'll find yourself mashing the throttle a lot more :D )
  • bananafusionbananafusion Member Posts: 4
    I did a search for it on here, and didn't see it mentioned yet, but the 2006 TSX now has a navigation hack to change the splash screen from Acura's to any image you want. It's based off a 2006 Civic hack, only changing some file names http://www.guicide.com/cars/2006civic/nav/hacks/

I put the details here: http://binaryfusion.net/navhack.html

Just thought I'd share.
This discussion has been closed.