Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma vs Ford Ranger - II

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Toyota
This topic is a continuation of....

Topic 506 Toyota Tacoma vs Ford Ranger.

This topic was split for performance purposes.
The original will be frozen and eventually
archived. Please continue here.

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I am curios are their american parts in the tacoma,I brought my lightning for an oil change at the ford dealer and there was a tacoma in for repair it was a newer one.
  • Options
    cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    HMMmmm Performance purposes? HMMM

hindsite:
    If you pay an additionall 5-10 bucks at any kodak processor you get either a diskette or CD with the jpg files on it. Then you can go to some of the sites around and post pics.

Well remember, the Tacoma is ASSEMBLED in Fremont and parts are still shipped from Japan. I know this as my wife was from Fremont and some of her former classmates work there. Not that it is a problem of course.

Well, I too buy American when I can. Had a Caravan sold with 134k, original CV's and even compression accross the 4 cyl of the 2.6. The V6 they offered was a Mitsubishi which was a piece of **** engine and, as you can guess, is Japanese made. So DO not equate quality TOTALLY to Japanese products. In general yes but not totally.
    I had an Intrepid before the Ranger and sold with 78k. Loved the american made 3.5 24 valve V6 and in general the car was good.
    I think the Ranger will do just fine. At 15k still running great. A friend from work has a 4 liter 96 with 50k and no problems. But as someone did post recently, these are machines and they will wear parts out. And I think just simple logic will tell you that Toy parts will be expensive. I had to pay $618 for a catalitic converter for my sons 87 Celica. Any other american car would run 125-200 for the converter.
  • Options
    spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    " HMMmmm Performance purposes? HMMM "

I agree 100 percent. I saw PLENTY of other topics with 700 and 800 responses that weren't
    split. Funny how they chose to *bury* this one
    at the end of the list.

This subject in this neck of the woods will surely not receive the same traffic as before.
  • Options
    hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    What exactly is a split?

Well, my Taco does have American parts in it now :) Fram oil filter, air filter, and Quaker State oil from PA. I assume it would cost more for foreign parts, but lets put that in perspective. If the Tacoma is as reliable as they say then you don't need many expensive parts. Ditto of the Ranger also regarding reliability.

Went off roading today and my wife was driving the Taco and I was in the F150. She floored the gas pedal and jumped a deep dip in the trail so hard that the shifter popped into neutral. Truck was okay, but I am not looking to do work on it yet. Next time I will take the lead and let her follow.

I will have to put in on CD Cpousnr the shots of the Taco. Have eight more exposures left in the camera so that will be a while yet.
  • Options
    The CD has more things to play with in regard to editing and the files are huge but can be cut down but REQUIRES WINDOWS 98 and up. The diskette has smaller files and some editing capabilities and works with WIN 3.1.

They do a good job for the money.

Hindesites wife "I feel the need for speed...."!
  • Options
    Cpousnr,
    I have Windows 98 and I guess it will not be a problem. I am using APS film and supposely it is easy to make a CD with the film.

I guess that is the Italian blood in her that makes her speed.
  • Options
    wsnoblewsnoble Member Posts: 241
    Hey Gang

Just got back from CA and logged on to read what i missed and the conf. was GONE! What did you guys do to get the first Conf closed...(smile). I know they threatend to kill it, but i thought we had since calmed down. Okay so were did we leave off? Rangers stink, Tacomas are junk. Let's se if we can exceed the "Performance" of Ranger vs. Tacoma part II.......

-wsn
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    wsn, welcome back. Its pretty much died off. Tried to start a Frontier vs Ranger but it fissed out too.
  • Options
    Got the last one registered in Univ. No. Colo.

Signed for tuition, bought the books.

Well either I eat or do future upgrades to the truck. . .

Heck of a price for beer parties in Greely Colo.
  • Options
    Well, I could always loose a few pounds. But the truck needs super shocks and a K&N. . .

Vice8, how is the superchip?
  • Options
    skipdskipd Member Posts: 97
    Let's get the Ranger vs. Frontier topic going. I'll be buying a truck in the coming months and want some opinions.

Skip
  • Options
    Hey CP,

The chip does work. It only kicks in in the higher RPM's. Also seems to help only after second gear. Its not neck snapping acceleration though. I didn't expect it to be. Also, the other drawback is I have to run 91/92 octane. Which is now about 1.70 a gallon!. Can you say ouch! I would guess I am putting out about 185HP and 240ft/lbs of torque with the K&N mod and the chip. I am going to have it dyno'd in about 2 weeks. Next will be to split the exhaust, this will be a very large HP increase.
    See ya in the hills!
  • Options
    Vince writes :

"Can you say ouch! Iwould guess I am putting out about 185HP and
    240ft/lbs of torque with the K&N mod and the chip.
    I am going to have it dyno'd in about 2 weeks.
    Next will be to split the exhaust, this will be avery large HP increase.
    See ya in the hills! "

Hey Vince, werent you the one who wondered
    why I got the SuperCharger, or why I would need it? LOL. Now you are trying to "supercharge" your rig. LOL.

HAve fun playing catch-up! I drove off the dealer lot with my gear all set up without wasting time. Also, I HIGHLY doubt your K&N filter and modchip gave you a 25 horsepower increase. Keep on adding things that my tacoma has stock,, and you will be right on top of the price I paid. lol. your hilarious.
  • Options
    Wow that is expensive over there for high test gas. I thought I would say something nice about the chip, but knowing you I rather not.

Just curious how much is everyone paying for gas?
    NY Metro area
    $1.31 unleaded
    $1.45 high test
    PA (Lehigh Region)
    $1.07 unleaded
    $1.28 high test
  • Options
    Boston area
    $1.17 unleaded
    $1.24 super
    $1.28 ultra
  • Options
    Spoog, I am not trying to S/C my engine, I have no need for it. Also, you don't own this truck, maybe in your dream??
    Yes, in the NW gas is the highest in the nation. The lowest is 160 at an Arco for premium.
    The chip does work and does make a difference.
  • Options
    Not too bad for a major city the price of gas. Is that a major brand gas? The prices I had in the previous post was Mobil.

Hmmm...maybe I will toss a few Lays chips in my engine bay to get some more horsepower.
  • Options
    Never mind I realize that is Sunoco gas.
  • Options
    Vince 8 Writes:

"Spoog, I am not trying to S/C my engine, I have noneed for it. "

Earlier Vince 8 Wrote:

" The chip does work. It only kicks in in the
    higher RPM's. Also seems to help only after second
    gear. Its not neck snapping acceleration though.
    I didn't expect it to be. Also, the other
    drawback is I have to run 91/92 octane. Which is
    now about 1.70 a gallon!. Can you say ouch! I
    would guess I am putting out about 185HP and
    240ft/lbs of torque with the K&N mod and the chip.
    I am going to have it dyno'd in about 2 weeks.
    Next will be to split the exhaust, this will be avery large HP increase.
    See ya in the hills! "

So, your NOT trying to soup up your truck?
    Then whats with the dual exhaust, super chip, K&N filter, and so on? LOL. You say you have no "need"
    for a supercharger, yet you add all this. Hilarious. Yet ANOTHER contradiction from Vince 8.

By the way your mistaken if you think that chip
    and little air filter gave you 25 more horsepower and 20 more torque points.

Me, well I just ordered the TRD Charger from the dealer and got close to a 30% torque increae and a 40% HP increase. And, its covered under warranty. How sweet it is.
    Oh....and it does provide neck snapping acceleration.
  • Options
    hey guys

gas in NH is about the same numbers that barlitz gave. I just got back from CA (Central Coast) and gas was $1.60 for reg and $1.80 for super....

-wsn
  • Options
    Spoog, your truck is a dream, wake up. Also for the few mods I have done so far, the cost is not even 1/4 the cost you paid for your S/C. You also may want to visit the K&N site along with the Superchips site before you make a fool out of yourself, oops, already have done that.
    K&N is known worldwide for its intakes, but in your dream world I guess you have never heard of them.
    And yes, the mods do help and even with these mods I am still over 4K ahead of the Tacoma with a Supercharger kit!
    Enjoy your dream kid.
  • Options
    Gas in Denver is about:

1.34 regular.

Guess the rest is 10-20cents higer but I only use 85 octane regular.

spoog:
    The K&Ns are rated at 10-15 additional hp. It is reasonable to assume a chip could give 10-15 more as that is what it is intended for.

Also, remember your torque on the Toyota is real close to the stock Ranger, just at a much higher rpm. So with the K&Ns, super chip for around $400 and a 19.9K vehicle vince has you BEAT in horse power and torque on your 21.5K vehicle.

Just my $.02. . ..
  • Options
    Oh thats right forgot you spent 2k for a turbo. . . Sorry my mistake your ahead in hp and torque and price.

I was thiking of the stock tacoma.
  • Options
    Spoog, paid 26K! not 21.5K for his so called Tacoma.
    And yes, I do have stock Tacoma's now beat with HP and Torque. with my under $800 mods!
  • Options
    Better count the $500 for the 31's putting you up to $20,800. But you will not have the locker. Well doing trails with winding roads is not the best use for a locker anyway. . .

Just my $ .02. . .
  • Options
    Wrong. Your little chip and your 50 dollar air filter do not get you 25 extra horsepower. Have you even had it tested after installing those?
    lol.

Keep it up Vince. YOur at 20 grand now.
    Add an auto-locker, 31 inch tires, skid plates,
    50 more horsepower and torque points, clutch start cancel, Larger front torsion bar, bilstein shocks, offroad tuned suspension, offroad tuned brakes, fuel tank protector, 6 lug wheels, and 4:10 gearing. lol. Looks like with all that youll be at around 26 grand.

Gee, playing "catch-up" is fun, isn't it!

Im off to drive my truck instead of waiting to pick it up from the "catch-up shop".
  • Options
    Oh, the air filter itself doesnt add 10-15 horspeower. It may for a turbo engine, but certainly not a common v6. The K&N horsepower theory has been debunked by many garages and offroad events. Now, a K&N filtrer WITH a K&N exhaust workup may add 20 horsepower.
  • Options
    Cpousnr,
    Honestly I have never seen 85 octane gas here in the northeast and the lowest I have seen is 87 octane. I thought that the minimum was 87 octane for most of the automobiles today.

Anyway knock yourself out guys with the K&N filter and chip debate, but seriously which of you Rangers guys have the 5 speed automatic?
  • Options
    I'm getting a K+N, but not for the ponies, but for better air flow, and it will cost less in the long run, and at 15k it's time tio replace the old one. Not to mention i think it will be easier on the Enviroment

-wsn
  • Options
    I emailed the k&n website and asked about the filters they offer, the one for my truck increases hp by about 2 to 4% and costs about $50.00, it may be worth it for the better air flow and costs savings over time.The gas up in Boston is now $1.48 for premium and about $1.35 for regular. geeez its getting up there.I may have to start walking.

Take Care.
  • Options
    hindsite:
    Well it is 85 octane. Just lower up here at altitude I guess.
    It runs 85, 87 and 89 for most of the regular, midgrade and premium.
    No knocks, pings, just runs fine!

barlitz:
    I think your talking about a replacement filter from K&N which fits in your existing box. For $150-180 you replace the box too which raises the air intake also. Increase is stated to be around 5-10% for the total system which is 8-16hp for the 4.0L. Lets see with vince8 if he dynos his what the increase is.

spoog:
    Thanks for the input but I am not sure of what sources you are drawing from. I will go look at an old 4 Wheeler but I thought it stated the 5-10% increase in hp. They did state that you should thermal wrap the intake to cool the air.

Catch up ain't that bad cause of lower insurance, tag fees, car payments giving me some extra cash to build what I want, not what Toyota wants to provide for me.

While your Tacoma TRD is nice, you should be trying to compare to the Ford Ranger SVT which stands for Special Vehicle Team. They make a vehicle that, well no other way to say it, would whup that TRD like a bad dog. 302V8, 320hp, bilstines, locker. Would that not be more fun than a lowly Ranger XLT.

Whats the matter, not up to the challenge?
  • Options
    I have a lightning even just a 2 to 4% hp increase is pretty good,its got 360hp now ,just installing the K+N will put it around 370 which is more than enough for my commutes to the store,but as much as I like the truck I may sell it due to its impracticallity its a fun truck to drive but being in the construction field it kinda doesn't make sense.I'm thinking about a ranger supercab 4x4 ,4.0 ,auto ,offroad package ,flareside.Any idea what a good price to pay for a 99 is.I know there's a $1000 rebate and low finance rates right now. Any input would be appreciated.

thanks John
  • Options
    Yes, I will have it dyno'd and will let everyone know what the HP/Torque rating is on my Ranger 4.0. I have the K&N air charger kit, not the replacement OE type.
    Anyone can visit the K&N site along with the Superchips site and read all their tech specs on how these items work. K&N has been around for a long time and they know their business.
    And yes, Ford SVT does offer a killer Ranger, but spoog is afraid to mention that because he knows it will trounce his so called TRD S/C he thinks he owns.
    The 5spd auto that Ranger offers is more for towing purposes.
    By the way I pay a 1.67 for premium here in the NW! ouch!!!! Someones making some big bucks out here.
  • Options
    Cpousnr,
    Seriously wasn't trying to knock your engine. No pun intended. . . hmm... I was just surprise that they do offer 85 octane gas.

Maybe I can get a K&N filter for my Pancho. Hmm....GP may top 420 hp

Any of you guys or girls use split fire plugs?
  • Options
    Sorry, I haven't seen a Frod Ranger SVT for sale anywhere. Isn't it a 2 wheel drive model
    anyway?

Cspousner writes:

"Catch up ain't that bad cause of lower insurance,
    tag fees, car payments giving me some extra cash to
    build what I want, not what Toyota wants toprovide for me. "

Well, seeing as how my add-ons are covered under regular warranty...

Also, Toyota pickups have alot more aftermarket
    goodies than the Ranger does.
    But instead of buying a small engine like Vince0 did, I got what I wanted and am happy with it.
    I don't feel the need to toy with my stock, dealer setup because it kicks right out of the gate.

Maybe Ford will build a more competent truck in 2000. oh wait....ouch. It's getting the Explorer engine, isn't it? Thats too bad.
    Can you even get a manual trans with that new explorer v6?

By the way, the 99 and 98 Rangers ALREADY look outdated. I think Ford does this on purpose so people will keep trading up. In my opinion, (excluding Mustang) Fords designs look out of date the fastest.

The Jeep Wrangler, Yota pickups and landcruisers
    designa really age well. That must effect the resale value too.
  • Options
    Wrong, Toyota does not have more aftermarket goodies. Where are you getting your info?? First you say the Ranger isn't available with skidpads, wrong, next you say the ground clearance is some outragous amount higher than the Ranger, wrong, next you say a smaller engine??? 4.0?? You don't own this truck spoog we are all very much aware of that. The 96/97 Toyota's are alos looking a bit dated these days.
    Boy, after being the top seller for 12years I would say the Ranger rates as being pretty competent.
  • Options
    Vince0 writes:

"Boy, after being the top seller for 12years I
    would say the Ranger rates as being prettycompetent."

And Mariah Carey sells the most records too.
    Does that make her music the best?
  • Options
    Well the 96 to 97 Taco looks dated, but at the same token the 98 Ford Ranger is not the greatest in styling. Although, I have notice that various colors does enhance the Ranger. I would have said this much earlier, but Vince and Cpousnr will probably jump all over me for stating this opinion. Okay what do you guys think of the Dakota's styling?
  • Options
    Gotta correct spoog.
    hindesite:
    I was wrong. The ratings are 85, 87 and 91. May be because of lower O2 content at altitude?!?
    Well I will disagree as the Ranger was just changed in style in 98 to give it the "big truck" look and, personal choice, I kinda like it.

spoog:
    In a previous post you basically implied that Rangers do not have skid plates or fuel tank protector or 4.10 gears. They can come stock with all 3 and since I have been under both a Tacoma TRD and a Ranger I KNOW that the skid plates on the fuel tank and xfer case of the Ranger and the fuel tank protector and xfer case of the TRD are EQUAL in thickness of steel and their ability to protect the tank/cases.

Remember spoog I, unlike you, have been UNDER both trucks to VERIFY, OBJECTIVELY what I was uncertain about.

DO more my friend and READ stats less.

There is some guy on the PreRunner page that likes that 12.5 inch clearance he has. 9.5 inch tops. But I will let him dream on.

barlitz:
    I would say anywhere from 18-20K for a Supercab XLT 4X4 here in Denver depending on equipment.
  • Options
    cpousnr,
    Glad that you like the truck:) Anyway the sea blue is a lovely color on the Ranger. Hey, I saw a '98' or later model XLT Supercab Ranger 4x4 today and it was impressivie. He had it lifted about 3" + to whatever it was and a sway bar under the rear axle.

Whatever I have never seen 85 octane gas, but who knows what they sell out in the mid-west or west.
  • Options
    I still don't understand why after 12 years the Ranger is still the top seller if the Toyota is so much better? I would think after 12 years the tides would have turned by now?? wouldn't you??
    Doesn't the consumer make the choice as to which the best truck value is that fits their budget and needs? I would think sales equate this.
    Spoog is so uneducated about the Ranger/Mazda he consistenly makes accusations about them that aren't true.
    I am in the market now for a fiberglass locking bed cover for my Ranger. It will be painted to match and have cylinders to lift it up. I would guess anywhere from $400-500 for this? Anyone else have one like this?
  • Options
    I never said that the Ranger didn't come with those options. What I was saying is that Vince doesnt have those things. He always flaunts his hilarious price theory, yet he will need to spend alot of money to get the things my taco came with stock.

Oh.....Cspousner......did you happen to check the
    clearance on the front of the Rangers?
  • Options
    Vinny0 writes

" I still don't understand why after 12 years the
    Ranger is still the top seller if the Toyota is so
    much better? I would think after 12 years the
    tides would have turned by now?? wouldn't you??
    Doesn't the consumer make the choice as to which
    the best truck value is that fits their budget and
    needs? I would think sales equate this.
    Spoog is so uneducated about the Ranger/Mazda he
    consistenly makes accusations about them thataren't true. "

You just dont get it do you. Mcdonalds sells the most hamburgers in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD.
    Does that make Mcdonalds hamburgers the best in the world? Think about it.........

Also, Mazda is owned by Ford , and the Ranger and Mazda are identical trucks except for minor styling cues.
  • Options
    Vince,
    I remember a short time back that you posted in several topics that the Tacoma 4x4 did not come with a skid plate. Then later you said it had one made of resin. Before that you claimed Toyota had 800,000 recalls this year, but you fail to mention that it was mostly in Japan. The thing I notice about you is that you never recant or say you were wrong to those claims and others. I think I have seen Spoog at least admit if he was wrong.
    Why are you so stuck on this Spoog does not have a truck? Okay post your truck here, because I would like to see it. Show us the clear factual proof that Spoog does not have a truck he claims.
    I am not trying to berate you or say Spoog is right, but honestly this topic degenerates a lot between this useless bickering. Why can't the two of you talk about other aspects of the truck?

In regards to the fiberglass locking bed try this site. There was an article a while back and it maybe archived or gone.

http://www.trucktrend.com
  • Options
    Not to beat a dead horse but, the Ranger is available with plates as an OPTION or in a OPTION PACK. The Tacoma comes with plates regardless of 4x4 model. If you get the Steering wheel and a gas pedal model, you still get the plates....

Vince8

I to am curios as to why you don't think spoog ownes his ride. Not mincing words, just curious.

Talked to a guy who has the 4 door excab, and he says the doors squeek something fierce

Also does anybody have any info on this SVT Ranger. I would love to read an article on it. I couldn't find one on the Ford Site.

-wsn
  • Options
    Back in the other Toyota vs Ranger room I proved spoog doesn't own this truck.
    He entered the room 4 times not mentioning his Toyota S/C once. If he had owned this truck he would have started in the first entry lambasting the Ford Ranager.
    I also mentioned the squeaking of the 4 doors on the Ranger. I opted not to get the four doors because I use my 4x4 as a 4x4 and knew it would creak like mad. I also thought about body rigidity and body flexing while I was out in the mountains. The two didn't add up. The four doors is a great idea and access is wonderful to the rear seats. If you can take the squeaks and rattles that is. I believe Ford will have this down much better for the 2000 model. Some reinforcing is would assume.
    Ok, its an OPTION, now lets talk about how much the OPTION adds to the TOTAL price of the truck in comparison to the TOTAL price of a Tacoma???
    Spoog is constantly harping on the Ranger bringing up bogus info and I will continue to argue with him as long as he does.
  • Options
    Vince,
    What kind of proof is that? Show us the proof that Spoog does not have the truck he claims. Post it here at this topic to be frank.

Well you have put on several sites bogus info so what does that show? How credible are your words when you claim that Spoog is "harping on the Ranger bringing up bogus info."
  • Options
    Oh come on, how am I supposed to do that hindsite?? It showed on the first Ranger vs Tacoma round, as plainly as can be. In the last room I mentioned it 2 times and listed the entries on top of that. In four different responses he only talks about Toyota and its reliability. He also mentions the available S/C, never says he as one. He doesn't own it, he is a kid with a dream.
    What does it matter 4wd to 2wd?? Fact is the Ranger outsells Tacoma. And noone has answered my question.
    If the Tacoma/Toyota were so much better, so much more truck, so much more. Why after 12 years does the Ranger still outsell the Toyota??? I think 12 years is enough time to get the tide turned don't you?? Also, 12 years is enough time for people to find out how "unreliable", and the
    "bad quality" the Ranger is supposed to have.
    Your stats above say it all, even the S-10 outsells the Tacoma!.
    See you in the hills.
  • Options
    mike00bethmike00beth Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know what the rebates are for '99 Rangers and Tacomas now? Also, is there any sites that maintains a list of rebates?

Thanks for any help.

-Mike
  • Options
    Point is well taken, but if you don't have the proof as you clearly state that Spoog does not have a truck then drop it.

I posted the production numbers and I am a Tacoma owner. You never posted them here that I can remember. You may not be curious to the production numbers for 2wd vs 4wd, but I think others maybe interested for curiosity.

I don't give a hoot if the Ranger was bad quality or qood quality, but just trying to be fair and accurate assessment of the Tacoma. Obviously the Ranger is good quality to you and all the power to you. Quantity does not alone stand for quality, but I do believe it stands for other things like; Amercan, Value, Ford Reputation & Name, Quality, rebates, financing, and pricing.

What do I care if the S-10 outsells the Tacoma. Seriously do you have a complex where you have to put someone or something down just to win a point.
This discussion has been closed.