Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I agree. Significant other induced claustrophobia is death on any relationship. :)
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    That's a bizarre oath, IMO. A good 4 cylinder provides the power, acceleration, and refinement of yesterday's sixes. Reference Nissan's revised 180 horse 2.5L in the Altima, as perhaps the best example.

And, the CR-V's 166 horses and 5 speed auto do quite well, in the low 9s to 60. To each their own, certainly, but to write off 4s in a blanket statement... doesn't seem fair.

Which 4 did you own that was so awful?

~alpha
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    I give up and must admit that I am irrationally prejudiced.

But I love the V-6s when I enter the onramp to the freeways. Also I do like the sound of a V-6s deeper stronger sounding engine at my disposal. Vs. a noiser, higher pitched 4. And when passing as well.

So as I said completely irrational.

Perhaps I should go for a Yaris with the recent price of gas etc.....................Whatcha think rational guy?
    Come on,man! Cars are affairs of the heart! 'Sides I think my Accord V6 is less stressed pulling my small bass boat than was my I4.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Cars are affairs of the heart... to an extent, yes. But that was not my point.

toyotagal - As long as you admit it ;)

~alpha
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Any news yet on pricing for the 2008 Highlander other than the info from nctd.com?

My only concern is the fuel economy - no significant change per Toyota. If the vehicle weighs more - there's a possibility that the economy is just the same or even worse. Very disappointing.

I actually like the Pilot better than the current Highlander (unsure of the 2008 Highlander) - but the width of the Pilot is too much for my narrow garage in foggy SF.
    Maybe a CRV will fit?
  • tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    Be carefull about jumping to conclusions about mileage. All 2008 models are supposed to be using the new EPA rating methods so if Toyota says that the mileage is unchanged, they might mean that the advertised numbers are the same but if this is true, the 08 HL might actually get much better real world mileage than the 07. I saw an article stating that some 08 model cars could see a 20% or more decrease in the published numbers for the same car so if the 08 HL is going to have the same numbers it would seem that actual mileage should be better than the current generation HL.
    IMO if in fact the new Highlander were going to get better gas mileage with a bigger, heavier vehicle don't you think they would be touting that?
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Toyotagal,

That would seem logical to me. I only cited what was in the press release about no substantial increase. (Just my opinion, the press release is not very clear about this matter and whether there really is a weight gain across all models.) However, if true, this seems a bit disappointing since gasoline prices are now over $3.00 here in N. Cali. One station had premium for over $4 today.

Neither the CRV nor the Rav would work for me, and I really want to compare it the new Highlander.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Way too early to know for sure. Toyota may be quiet about such things as they are not yet promoting the new HL as it is not yet available to buy.

Jumping to conclusions on fuel economy numbers at this stage is foolish.
    Nobody is jumping to conclusions re fuel economy. Is it our fault that we can add 2+2 and obtain 4. You should try it. Throw away those bead boards.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    What's your problem, blufz, bad day?? Geez.
    "There you go,again." Not my bad day,yours? :)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Is it our fault that we can add 2+2 and obtain 4.

Lucky guess! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I thought the original thought was that they would begin taking orders in March? With them hitting the show rooms in May and delivery in July. Have those dates been moved?

If they are in fact taking orders for 2008 Highlanders it would behoove them to have some numbers on the gasoline mileage available.
    Just call me lucky,lucky,lucky. :)
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Is it our fault that we can add 2+2 and obtain 4. Hmm...................since your only speculating here it's really 2x + x = 3x, or x + y = z :)
    Thanks! I always do my own math.
  • bigred12bigred12 Member Posts: 12
    I was told by a dealer today that Toyota has pushed back the release of the redesigned Highlander to Spring 2008, calling it the 2009 model. So the 2007 model will continue to be produced as the 2008 model, probably with no changes. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I believe your dealer is mis-informed...probably should find a new dealer.

click here ---> toyota.com 2008 Highlander
    Wow! Is your Dealer misinformed or what? The 2008 models will definitely be out in 2007. Sometime midyear with deliveries beginning in July. At least that is the information released by Toyota a while back.
  • cheapskate21cheapskate21 Member Posts: 49
    One of the dealers I talked to say that 2008 Highlander will still be a while to come out, about 6-9 months, contradicting Toyota USA VP who said it's going to be in June 07.

I think dealers want to sell their current inventory. Customers knowing 2008 is going to come out soon probably won't look at the 2007 model.
    You should stay away from that Dealer who has been eating Baloney Sandwiches. Summer of 2007 is a definite:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/highlander.html?s_van=GM_HOME_HIGHLANDER_T- XT
    "Customers knowing 2008 is going to come out soon probably won't look at the 2007 model"?

I know the 2008 is coming out this Summer but I as well as others are out chasing down the last of the 2007s. Why? Because we prefer the 2007s styling and size. The 2007 Highlanders are still selling like hotcakes as they have since their introduction. Irrespective of the pregnant RAV-4 without the spare tire being released.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    selling like hotcakes .... don't think so. Why would Toyota offer 0% financing or $1500 if that's true?
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    They may not be selling "like hotcakes", but they're selling well. Much better (in my area) than their competition. As for the incentives... Toyota does this with each model's last production year.

They are very good (experienced) at correctly determining demand so they can keep their production at capacity. They have a brief re-tooling/change-over period at their production facility, but have a good supply built up to handle that period. They occasionally have a shortage problem at new model introduction. However, that normally works in their favor to build demand or interest and to justify the full price. It's extremely rare to find a new (left-over) previous model year Toyota past the first few months of the new model year.
    Perhaps I was a little overzealous and I should have said "selling like Toyotas do"...........
    I was looking at an ad in today's paper and noted the following "The Great Toyota Countdown...........Time is up April 2nd" Hmmmmmm

Absolutely no one within the Dealership ranks has any knowledge of what will happen after April 2nd. Although of course that is a ploy to sell cars this weekend.

But who knows? The rebate may be $2,000 or nothing or?????????After April 2.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, the new Tundra has GM/Ford/Dodge sized incentives on it. Must be the exception that proves the rule. (link and link)

With high gas prices back, you have to wonder what Toyota's sales predictions are for their SUVs for the summer.
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    It may be a coincidence or this link has a bug, but that second link began pulling up multiple screens. I had more than 60 screens before I could reboot. Then I had a critical aleart when I ran ad-aware.
    I just saw the Infiniti EX-35. I was hoping the Highlander would morph into something similar instead of a pregnant rav4.

link titleEX35 pics
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The link worked properly for me and Steve wouldn't have put it up if he had a problem with it. Either it was a temporary malfunction of the site or something (i.e. Windows!) at your end.

Tidester, Host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    From the horse's mouth, the Dealers do not actually know the rebate until it is released on April 3rd.

Response (Jessica C) 03/31/2007 09:10 AM
    Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We apologize Incentive information is provided on a monthly basis. Advance notice is not provided to the dealerships so they are unaware of what the monthly incentives will be until the day they begin. Please check back as early as April 3rd on Buy a Toyota to inquire about any available incentives for your vehicle of choice.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200703310108. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Toyota Customer Experience

Customer 03/28/2007 05:02 PM
    I believe that the $1,500 Rebate for the 2007 Highlander expires on April 2, 2007. Can you tell me what the rebate will be after that date?
    Also, from my experience back in '03 when I bought a HL, the rebates where different depending on what region you lived in which I thought was wasn't fair to all. Our area was $500 less than the west coast, yet Toyota showed on TV a commercial to the whole country a rebate we couldn't get here. -very poor
    Wow! That is a sad way to do business. I always thought the rebate was nationwide.

However, maybe there is hope for me after April 2 since I am on the West Coast.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Central Atlantic Toyota ( CAT ).. for the month of March there are no rebates.

Here's a scenario I've heard. The rebates are viewed by Toyota as a whole country program. However within each region there are differing needs and wants by the public. some are price/cash conscious and Customer Cash is key. In other regions interest rates are key so there those are subvented.

Then the Northeast gets hit by 12' of snow in 3 weeks and all business stops and all dealerships are literatlly frozen in place ( Feb ). So for March to help ease the glut in the NE they are given relatively larger incentives than CAT to make it worthwhile to a) stay at home and buy or b) travel to the snow belt to get a better deal.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Check Engine Light thread has been moved to the CEL discussion:

jackmick656, "Toyota Highlander Check Engine Light" #8, 1 Apr 2007 9:51 am
  • jackmick656jackmick656 Member Posts: 61
    Sorry I posted my CEL problem on the HL 08 discussion.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I am sure it will still be $1500, it has been for a very long time now. They won't reduce it until the new model hits dealers and stock builds up.

I didn't think there were any of the 4-cylinder FWD models left in my area, and then saw an ad for one in the Friday paper. It was only $20K after the rebate and dealer discount. That's the best deal in the Highlander line if you ask me. Too bad the 4-cyl goes away for a while after the launch of the '08. I hope the rumors of a future 4-cyl are true.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I guess tomorrow will clear up for sure whether there is a coninuing $1,500 rebate, no rebate or an even bigger rebate.

It is nice what you are saying about the 4 cylinder Highlander, however, I am a V-6 person for life. With many invalid reasons...............smile
    Every time I see a pic of this 2008 thing I think of Ned Beatty.
    Every time that I see the pics I think of what one person said and that was a RAV4 on steroids. And also what is secretly circulating among the Toyota Car Salesmen on the QT "a pregnant RAV4"
    The latest round of model changes seem to favor Honda. They just seem to look fresher and cleaner.
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    Let's face it "other" third row vehicles are replacing the minivan. Ford, GM & Mazda have stopped production and are focusing on "larger" suv/crossover vehicles as replacements.
    Yeah, those salesmen will go after anything.
    There are going to be some good buys on this 2008 Highlander. I just don't see it being a huge ,no pun intended,success.
    "Good Buys"? Why would there be good buys? Are they going to lower the price or something?
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    I think he is implying that it won't sell well, so there will be opportunities to get good discounts.
    What Verdugo said. I don't think it will sell well. Ho hum styling,actually dated looking,and it's not even out yet! Borderline too small engine for new size and weight. It's ok horsepower wise but I would rather have more displacement for greater torque. The highlander that you got was the "right" size for a lot of people. The 2008 can't be more fuel efficient and gas prices are rising. So,yeah, there will be some big :) discounts on this "thing" before they can bring out a replacement.