Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    I just purchased 2005 Quest SL. When the front passenger seat is not occupied, I see the airbag-off sign comes on and stays on. When my wife is sitting on it, (she weighs 102-105 lbs), the sign disappears. I suppose that means the airbag will deploy...
  • farmer3farmer3 Member Posts: 21
    Yes, it will deploy. The airbag has a weight sensor. Your wife is safe (that is, depending on your driving :) )
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Member Posts: 44
    How much did you pay for your Quest 05 SL? As you may have noticed, I've had trouble getting this info although I posted it in this board as well as in "Price paid and buying experience". Should I take it as a sign that new owners of Quest 05 are very happy with their vans, don't have any problems and therefore stop reading these discussion boards :P ?
  • quest2005quest2005 Member Posts: 5
    this is the same problem that I am having on my Quest 2005. Both sliding doors give a squeaking sound when I drive. It doesnt happen all the time though. Did you do anything else apart from spraying wd40? Any other ideas?
    Is you door noise problem fixed. I have started to experience this in my nissan 2005 quest. both sliding doors give a clicking sort of noise when I drive. Did you get yours fixed? any ideas?

thanks.
  • keibiekeibie Member Posts: 1
    Hi Sam,
    I have the exact same problem that you are referring to. This problem, as well as a braking vibration, surfaced two days after purchasing this vehicle new in June of 2004. Nissan has performed Rack Adjustments, Radial Force & Hunter Balances, Tire Rotations, Rotor Replacement (Aug 2004) and Cutting the Replacement Rotors due to Warp (April 2005). I am currently at 14,000 miles and ten months of ownership, and this driveline front end vibration problem has improved by 50% at best. My additional braking vibration has never improved for longer than a few days.
    I am considering, due to the results of an independent inspection performed on the Goodyear LS2 tires on my Quest, purchasing a comparably sized tire from a different manufacturer with the hope of acheiving some improvement.
    I viewed my tires on a Hunter Balancing Machine, and all four tires were slightly out of round. Insufficiently out of round to fail a Radial Force Balance and warrant replacemnt by Nissan, but sufficient to create a moderate high speed vibration.
    It will not be an easy task to replace these tires because this tire size is unique to the Nissan Quest 3.5S and 3.5SL Models (225/65R 16).
    This is the only tire on the market at this size, that I have been able to locate.
    The 215/70R 16 (an option with the use of the OEM wheels) or the 235/60R 16 (an option with upgrading from a 6.5" depth rim to a 7.5" depth rim).
    Just a few thoughts and ideas. Hopefully some of it is helpful to you.
    Basically, I paid about $600 better than what carsdirect.com came up with.
    Then again, the dealership charged me that much more for the paint/cloth protection claiming the treatment was already applied to all their vans (does anybody know if this is true for all southeast Nissans or just another **)... I have the receipt for the protection package so I suppose something was applied. The same thing happened last time when I purchased my pickup when the Toyota dealership charged me for Toyoguard or something... Maybe I should have just walked out, but I was exhausted at the time (4 hour long deal) and wanted to get it over with. There was another mishap while signing all the paperworks, but I don't even want to think about it now.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    this is the same problem that I am having on my Quest 2005. Both sliding doors give a squeaking sound when I drive. It doesnt happen all the time though. Did you do anything else apart from spraying wd40? Any other ideas?

The Quest has a rubber seal between the slider and front door to seal it tight. I don't like power doors partly because you can't "motivate" them to close tightly. But I noticed that if you open the front door, close the slide, then close the front door, almost all the nois goes away.

If you then spray the rubber seal with spray silicone lubricant, they won't make any noise at all. We regularly drive down a horribly bumpy road so all our cars get some sort of treatment like this....
  • jim6517jim6517 Member Posts: 1
    After 3300 miles the oil maintenance light comes on in Nav Display. I could back out of the warning and did change the oil. Not only did the "Pit" flag linger, it stayed. Navigation will not function-gets a disc error on the screen. Other functions not relating to Navigation work fine. Is there a default function that I could perform, or am I stuck going to the dealer, Kerry Nissan in Florence,KY, whose staff(the great majority) give car dealers a bad name. Other dealership is too great a distance.
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    Just my two cents: $600 for 'paint" / cloth protection is a lot:

I am not sure what "Paint" protection is; Clearcoat? or Undercoating Rustproofing?

As for cloth protection; you can get the same level of protection with a $5 an of Scotchgaurd. As for Rustproofing cars have not needed extra proofing since the 70's. This looks like a dealer looking to make extra money; hence, "We have this done for all our cars" response
    The paint protection seems to be clearcoat only. It's supposed to keep the shine longer... I can't even tell whether it was actually applied or not :(
    It's made by Permaplate (www.permaplate.com).
  • ricklaughricklaugh Member Posts: 2
    I bought new in December 2004. Currently have about 9,000 miles. I have experienced about 16 mpg city and 19 mpg hwy. Gas mileage is not anywhere close to what was advertised ( 19 - 26). This has been very disappointing. Van is at dealer today for "creaking" sliding doors, Traction Control System that does not prevent wheels from slipping when accelerating in rain, two dry starts (metal grinding for about three seconds when starting cold) at 2000 miles and 7000 miles, consistent pulling to right after alignment at 5000 miles, popping noise on front right when accelerating normally, and four burned out light bulbs in headliner. The mileage is puzzling. Some in this forum state they are getting 25 mpg or better. The majority seem to be getting worse than advertised. I have been relying on fuel economy computer. I will calculate manually and compare. Has anyone pursued the poor mileage with Nissan? What was the outcome? It may be time to band together and press the issue. Also, be careful with quick lube places. Engine only takes four quarts of oil. Most are in the habit of automatically putting in five quarts.
    To get rid of the "Pit" notice, you need to reset the maitenance reminder - just changing the oil doesn't automatically reset it. The disc error probably needs a trip to the dealer, unfortunately.
    Pardon my ignornance, but Clearcoat, over a clearcoat finish from the factory? I believe the car comes with clearcoat. I hate to say this but it looks like a bit of over-doing it by the dealer.
    Had my 2004 SL in for the second round of Customer Service initiaitive

1) Ball joint for rear hatch
    2) 2nd row seat shifters
    3) Anti-rattle work: looks like they repeated the work done last year, but it did seem quieter
    4) Some other little itmes I cannot think of

Additonally
    1) Had the front brake rotors re-surfaced (17,000 miles)
    2) Backup sensor is on the fritz. They have to replace it, not sure how long this will take

Hopeflly I will not have the working of a nother lemon-law case. I won the first, and hate to repeat. :sick:
    Did you ever get the creaking sliding doors sound fixed? My 2005 Quest is having the same problem.
  • chuck0731chuck0731 Member Posts: 12
    Hi. I just found this board, and it's a relief to see I'm not alone in having these problems (high speed vibrations and no radio sound). My dealer was really quick to replace the radio since they admitted they had received many reports on this problem, but I'm getting the "we can't fix it if we can't confirm it" response on the vibration. They claim to have test drove it several times, and I took them on a test drive once (of course the problem didn't arise). I think they believe me, but with this many people reporting the problem you'd think Nissan would be on top of this.

Sorry, I don't have the patience to go back through all 60+ pages of postings to see if anyone has ever gotten this problem fixed, but if somebody has any solutions, or at least something specific I can go to my dealer with, I'd appreciate it. They've done the balancing and rotor repairs twice, with little if any improvement.

Has anyone noticed any factors that set the problem off? It seems to happen inconsistantly and unpredictably (as evidenced by my "unsuccessful" test drive), but based on the descriptions I've read here from others, I'm sure it's the same problem, especially the part where the vibration significantly increases when I apply the brakes. I really think I need to get this taken care of, because it's getting to the point the car feels like it's going to fall apart.

Sorry about the incoherent rambling. It's late and I need to get to bed. Thanks.
  • njdude101njdude101 Member Posts: 22
    I also just bought new Quest 3.5S and i notice a noice from power sliding door, I went to dealer and service guy fixed it. It does not make noice now. He told me that they had this problem with 2004 and it suppose to be fixed in 2005.
  • beanzdbeanzd Member Posts: 2
    We are currently getting about 19 mpg in the city, and we do a lot of starting and stopping, so the mileage sounds off. We were also told by a friend mechanic that Nissans need to have a Nissan filter installed with oil change when filter change is necessary. He stated that he recommends Nissans oil only be changed by Nissan dealers for that reason.
    Creak/rattle: My van just passed 200 miles. During the running board installation a couple of days ago, I reported creaking noise coming from the driver side manual sliding door. The dealer adjusted striker plate and door bracket. The creaking actually is more pronounced now. It seems that the door is either flexing or moving slightly causing the metal contacts in the striker plate to create creak. I think so because when I put some grease around the metal contacts in the striker plate, the creak is mostly gone. There is also rattle from the passenger side rear but it's intermittent and I have no guess. Overall ambient noise inside the van is actually very low. The underside of the van, however, seems to have little insulation as I can hear the road debris hitting beneath sometimes. I'm going to wait out for a while until the van breaks in before I bring it in for service.

TPMS: Another issue I had immediately after purchase was that the tire#4 (driver side rear?) TPMS reading was not showing up. It was never programmed and easily fixed.

Mileage: I can only say about purely highway driving at this point. The computer MPG showed 20.5 MPG as I was driving at 70 mph over the weekend. The van right now has regular grade gas in the tank. (BTW, the dealer filled it up with the regular. According to the dealer, I was encouraged to use the regular grade as the use of higher octane, albeit recommended in the manual, is complete waste. My experience from the past says otherwise. I'm going to use only premium grade from now on.) Since the van is so new, I believe this figure will go up.

Overall: I'm satisfied with the engine (contrary to those who complained about low end torque, it's actually pretty good to me and I haven't gone over 4k RPM yet as I'm still breaking it in), 5 speed automatic transmission is crisp, and considering the size of the van (huge) it handles quite nicely. Aside from some audible nuisances, I'm happy with my Quest. It was the only minivan I was considering to buy as I was seriously looking at sports sedans. Oh, well, this was a big compromise I had to make but in the end it made my wife and and myself happy.
  • nipperbgnipperbg Member Posts: 5
    If you have a 5 speed you need to check your RPM at highway speed. At 100 Klicks you should get 1800 RPM if it's at 2100 the tranny is not going into lockup and it won't unless you make it. There's a difference of between 4 to 5 MPG. Nissan says this is normal so if we want if fixed we better all get together and complain about the problem.
  • ord62ord62 Member Posts: 26
    Look at my previous postings and it will describe at least 8 problems. What a person should watch for is whether there is a danger to the occupant or/and to the public. All I cared for is to have a safe and reliable vehicle.

I've looked at the 2005 Odyssey and I've seen problems in workmanship and reading the forum has convince me and my wife not to buy one. I found it to have more problems than the Quest.

We are currently considering a Sienna but we will put it to deep scrutiny before buying one. I am already uncomfortable with the 2nd row seats but my wife likes the drive.

I am still a Quest lover even after the problems I've had and wished I never encountered those problems. I still would like to buy the 2005 Quest hoping they have fixed most of the problems but my wife owns half of the decision. I have to provide her really good reasons why not to buy the other minivans.

I am not seeing a lot of 2005 problems out there. Am I correct to assume that most of the problems are fixed????
    The mileage is puzzling. Some in this forum state they are getting 25 mpg or better. The majority seem to be getting worse than advertised. I have been relying on fuel economy computer. I will calculate manually and compare.You can drive down the highway a few miles and the mpg reading will change. I'm not sure what the "gate" is to measure the mileage but it's not the full tank or the last reset. I've called the manufacturer and asked the dealer of every car I've owned with this feature since 1994, and not once have I gotten a real answer. I have a similar electronic problem with my Garmin GPS, which has recorded a maximum vehicle speed of 122 mph on a trip where I didn't exceed 80......

I have kept a log detailing every gallon of gasoline that's gone into our 05 Quest because we use it as a company delivery vehicle as well. The average for the first 6,000 miles, including breakin and a lot of Winter driving, and it was 22.3 mpg - actual. I recently took a day long trip and averaged 25.5, with the A/C running. Sorry some of the folks with 2004's have had problems, but this vehicle has been flawless and has exceeded our expectations for handling, performance, mpg, and comfort. I wish the front cupholders were higher up, though.....
  • army4usarmy4us Member Posts: 7
    I had re-word this just because I wrote exactly what kind of vehicle the Quest is and they took it off, but I am sure anyone else who has had problems with their 04 Quests feels the same way as I do about these vehicles.
    :lemon:
    Can someone please tell me how a few of you are all getting these hunk of junk
    Quests to be considered Lemon's?
    In the past 6 months I have had a rental car (due to my 04 quest being
    in the shop) for 40 days as of today and I still do not have my van
    back as I speak. I have had the following problems with it:
    Drive Axle Replaced
    3 Radios
    A transmission
    A noise they can not figure out what it is, sounds as if a chain is
    dragging on the ground!!!
    All the recalls, the Squeaky doors, the front drivers seat was shifting
    each turn I made, told me it was normal till the realized how bad it
    was.
    Tire pressure goes off saying I have a flat tire, every time it gets a
    little bit cold, I am in GA.
    Service Engine soon light has came on, and they had to reset the whole
    computer.
    My door handle fell off the rear sliding door.
    Problems with steering wheel shaking at 45MPH +
    My list probably could go on and on.......
    :sick:
    HELP ME SOMEONE AND TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO TO MAKE NISSAN TAKE BACK THEIR :lemon: OF A VAN
    I have been through BBB and that got me know where I am military so of
    course the dealership that I bought the vehicle at is in a different
    state so the dealership that is stuck working on the piece of junk will not help me
    out as far as taking it back.
    :cry:
    I WOULD NOT WISH THIS VEHICLE ON MY WORSE ENEMY
  • ord62ord62 Member Posts: 26
    I am sorry to find out that you have had lots of problems. But every state has a different Lemon Law program. Go to www.bbb.org and read on your state specific requirement.

I believe the most important requirements to follow are: 1. Georgia specifies that the first conformity should have occurred within the 12 month/12,000 miles period; 2. It will need to really satisfy the non-conformity requirement (SAFETY would be the biggest concern) and not intentionally abused 3. You will need to write a registered formal letter to the manufacturer indicating your problems and what has been done and not fixed properly; 4. Read on the additional one time repair rule which may be the fastest basis of your repurchase or replacement.

In Maryland, it is a 15 months/ 15,000 miles duration. Any SINGLE failure on steering/braking related problem and wasn't corrected the first time around entitles Lemon Law. There is also a 30 days out of service rule within the timeframe. There is also a 4 times repair limit on the same item. There is a 3 years period to file in Maryland even if the 15 month has been exceeded.

In Gergia, I suspect that you may satisfy the 15 days out of service requirement for the 12months/12,000 mile, or 30 days out of service requirement for the 24month/24,000 miles. Another would be if the braking or steering has not been corrected after the first try. Another would be the tire safety (danger of bursting if overinflated). But again ... you will need to convince them that these problems are not intentionally produced.

Try approaching it on your own and not involve any lawyer yet. I represented myself and BBB was a lot of help during the arbitration. Use a lawyer only as a last resort and only if you think you have a basis.

Also... check the competing minivans to see if you would want just a replacement or a repurchase. So far I have not found any minivan yet that can exceed the Quest's qualities except on the reliability and safety issues I experienced on the specific van I had. Maybe the 2005 is better!
    My 2 cents:

1) try mycarstats.com I found it had good limks to lemon law info. (http://www.mycarstats.com/content/statemvd.asp). Alawys know your rights

2) I beleive that Magnuson Act (Federal Warranty laws) also comes into play. Reps of a manuf. must fix the car otherwise the Manuf, is in default of its' warranty.

3) I have not heard positive things from BBB arbitration. Lemon Law disputes are handled differntly in all states. We have three choices in NJ, I chose getting a lawyer (cost me nothing) who I found from mycarstats.com NJ Law provides for compensationto lawyer if / when they win case.

My case took 4-5 monhts to resolve and was in my favor, was not for a re-purchase but was in my favor. Lawyer was paid by Nissan.

here are the ground rules.
    1) Keep ALL your records
    2) Know your rights
    3) Don't short-change yourself, it is not a simple, little problem its' a problem with a very expensive purchase
    4) If a lawyer will take your case then it probably means you would win. They hate wasting their time.The lawyer, in this case, is not the enemy so do not treat them as such (lawyer is not a four letter word).

An, no, I am not a lawyer just was frustrated. Ihave had a Quest for 15 months and now am very happy
  • kmastejkmastej Member Posts: 6
    I just got my 04 Quest back after having threatening to call the Lemon Law in on it. Nissan provided me with a rental free of charge and ordered new parts, dove tails and a couple of other parts. At first the parts were not available, I had to wait almost 30 days for the parts. My usual experience is that the fix will last about two weeks, I will have to see how long this one last.

Anybody notice that the power sliding door slides so hard if anybody is in the way while it is closing you could get hurt. I had accidently bumped the button while loading items in the side, the door started coming, I thought I would give it a hip bump back and it kept on coming closing me in. I ended up with a large bruise, Nissan said that the door was ok, I think a child would definitely be seriously injured if they were caught in the door. :cry:
  • garycoxgarycox Member Posts: 59
    I have a 2004 Quest 3.5 SL with 5700 miles on it. Is there any way to disable the passenger air bag? I know it automatically disables if someone sits in the seat under a certain weight. However, it's a huge safety issue if the passenger is using something like a laptop (which is often) or working on something else and the airbag where to deploy on a minor accident it would most likely severly injur the occupant of the passenger side.

My Ford truck had a switch to turn it off but I can't find anything on my Nissan either in the manual or otherwise... Gary
  • kmacleankmaclean Member Posts: 1
    I just saw a service bulletin on the leaky tire issue at www.nissanhelp.com.

To their credit, it does look as if Nissan is truly documenting and working on all these problems - I think every problem we've had with our Quest is covered there.
  • raul4raul4 Member Posts: 95
    I have a 2004 with 8900 miles. I have been having a problem with the p/s slider. At times when I push the button, the door will open completely and will not stay open but will start closing immediately. When it starts shut, it takes a great deal of strength to reverse the closing, so much so, that if it happened to a child or an elderly person with very little strength, I believe it could cause some serious injury.
    I have had it to the shop two times and both times they were unable to find anything out of order, the last time was March 16, 2005. Since that time, it has occurred four times. I am scheduled to take it back on May 4, 2005.
    Just wondering, has anyone or anyone who know of anyone that has had this problem?
    Does any one else notice following problems from 2005 Quest 3.5 S.

Yesterday I notice that “passenger air bag off” light was on even though my wife was at passenger seat. (she weight around 120 lb), then I pull a car on side and I moved to passenger seat but still light did not go off. I drove for around five miles like but when we were coming back on that time light was off, I checked few times to make sure if it still having any problem but luckily as soon either me or my wife take a sit light went off. That was a first time happened so far.

Today when I turn on heat I was hearing “tic tic” type of clicking noise from passenger side ventilation, it was not continues noise but one or two clicks after every couple of minutes.

When I change ventilation position I hear noise that it is switching to other mode now. (Probably from motor, not loud but noticeable)
  • zaragozazaragoza Member Posts: 4
    I have the base model for the '05 quest. I have also noticed a noise as well. Does it sound like the door is bumping when you are driving. Like it is loose?

Please email me at
    hz123@wowway.com

Zaragoza
    I also had that noise from passenger side sliding door, specially when i drive on rough road, I went to dealer and they fix it.

Today I also notice that when car is on Park and if I push break paddle I hear click (loud) from the shift knob, sound like its unlocking the gear. Do you have that problem??
    From where I can buy low cost security+ plus Gold plan for 2005 Quest 3.5 S ?
    How much it usually cost?

thanks,
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    Yes, when you push the brake pedal, the shifter unlocks. That's the safety feature that prevents you from lurching forward if you did not have the brake depressed. You can hear it but it usually isn't very loud.
    Anybody notice that the power sliding door slides so hard if anybody is in the way while it is closing you could get hurt. I had accidently bumped the button while loading items in the side, the door started coming, I thought I would give it a hip bump back and it kept on coming closing me in. I ended up with a large bruise, Nissan said that the door was ok, I think a child would definitely be seriously injured if they were caught in the door.

We have an 05 and my wife stopped it with her forearm. It was nothing more than a squeeze, so find a more responsive dealer, perhaps?
  • moxmox Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing as you, could you tell me which aux. light kit you used? Also where did you mount the switch? And what is the pigtail socket for? Is it because the fog lights that you got from Nissan don't include the actual sockets/bulbs in them? Thanks for the great ideas and info!
  • moxmox Member Posts: 4
    Has anybody added a Sirius radio to their Quest? I'd like to install one that interfaces to the center console & radio controls. I want to know if it's a standard Sirius radio or specialy made for Nissan. If it's possible, what is the model #, where is it mounted and is any of it pre-wired for easy addition? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • valintvalint Member Posts: 1
    Hello, army4us
    I am just starting with the shaking at 45+ and the chain noise. I wonder if you hear like the front end of the car is falling off. I 'm going back to the shop tomorrow so I will let you know.
    I have XM satellite radio on my '05 SE. It was installed after I got the vehicle by the dealer. It's totally integrated with the center console and radio controls.
    Well, the vibrations have been getting worse on my 04 Quest (see post #1193), and now they sometimes occur at less than highway speed, so I'm heading back to the dealer on Monday for another test drive to see if they can "confirm" the problem. If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can ask the dealer to look for, I'd love to hear them. Someone at work who had a similar problem with their car (not a Nissan) said their problem ended up being a cracked engine mount. Since I know nothing about cars, does that sound like something that could cause the problems I'm experiencing?
  • quest4mequest4me Member Posts: 9
    To Max re Satellite Radio

It's not very self-installer friendly!! In fact they have made it so
    difficult that it probably would be better to have the dealer
    install it and the wiring. Many dealers send the vans to electronic
    specialists for installation.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/satellite_radio/index.html

http://www.courtesyparts.com/satellite_radio/MY04%20Quest.pdf

Good luck!!!
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Most high speed vibrations have been associated with the tires and not the vehicle itself. Have you had the tires balanced?
    Yes, the dealer balanced them a month ago, with virtually no improvement. They've also adjusted the brake rotors several times. My understanding is that if it was just the tires, the vibration would happen all the time, and not sporadically as it does. Is that true?
    This is my first Mini Van and I am not sure if this is normal but for me it seems like that Quest's had glare problem in the windshield, sometime it’s really distractive while driving.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I can't speak for any other van, but it is a Quest attribute. It was noted in some reviews I read. I test drove and purchased mine at night, didn't realize how distracting it could be until the next day. All I can say is that you get used to it eventually, and polarized sunglasses seem to help.
    This is my first Mini Van and I am not sure if this is normal but for me it seems like that Quest's had glare problem in the windshield, sometime it’s really distractive while driving.

All the new vans have immense windshields. I don't find the Quest worse than the Caravan we also own, or others I've ridden in lately. I also wear polarized sunglasses most of the time.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Re-read some of the earlier posts. There have been a few members who have experienced this problem. No it is not true that the vehicle would be vibrating all the time if it were the tires. There is a method of balancing that is produces better results than spin balancing. (I'm sure someone will chime in with this method). I had a 89 Buick Century that used to vibrate at 75 mph. I replaced the tires and it ran smooth to 80.
    When I was driving today I started noticing that Noise (from power sliding door) again, it seems like dealer probably did not fix it well enough. I am going to wait for few days if it gets worse then I will go back to dealer. It runs smooth on high ways, only on rough road I hear this noise. Pls let me how dealer fixed your noise problem?
  • park3850park3850 Member Posts: 10
    I bought a small, black towel. I put it on the dash on long drives. You can leave it there all the time if it bothers you too much to ignore.
This discussion has been closed.