Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sourdatesourdate Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I just bought my first Subaru last Saturday. It's Forester 2.5X with 5 speed manual and alloy wheel value package including trunk rubber mat and roof rack for $19840, the MSRP is a little less than $22,000. Do you think it's a reasonable offer from the dealer? Thanks :)
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    I'm roughly estimating that you're about $800 under invoice, which is a pretty good price. You're looking at a '12, so you have to consider what you could get a '13 for as a comparison and decide if the difference between the two is worth the model year difference to you.

Five-speed manual.... that's the ticket! :shades:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Under $20k, wow, didn't think you could still get them for that. With alloys, even.

Congrats, did you have a mask and a gun to rob them like that? ;)
  • rkentonrkenton Member Posts: 3
    I got a quote on 2012 premium with all weather package

price is $23,500 excluding taxes, title and registration, and state inspection

Is this a good deal?
    We'd have to know the exact MSRP of the car in question in order to know for sure!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    MSRP is $26,160
    You're well under invoice on it, so in that respect it's a good deal. Now, you have to factor in how much less you can get the '12 vs. the '13 model to determine whether it is worthwhile, since you're at the end of the '12 MY. I don't think there were many changes to '13, so, aside from the perception of value in the event you were to sell it, it is a minor issue.
    Sorry I should have mentioned this: this is the quote I got for 2012 model...2013 is about $900 more than this.
  • howchocolatehowchocolate Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I'm living in Pittsburgh city. I want to buy a new 2012 or 2013 Forester 2.5X (automatic, and without any other options). Can I ask you something about the cost? I've contacted some dealers to quote. Maybe since there are a few shops near the city, their suggested price isn't different a lot from each other. The price of 2012 Forester 2.5X is around 21,600, and 2013 Forester 2.5X (automatic) is 22,000 (the 2013's total cost which includes fees and tax is 23,600). What do you think about this price?
    Ask for an out-the-door price. For instance, do those prices include freight? Any processing fee tacked on?
  • howchocolatehowchocolate Member Posts: 2
    The OTD for 2012 is $23,200 and 2013 is $23,600. I'm just wondering if these basic models are too expensive. Thank you!
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I posted over inth 2009 Forester thread that I placed an order on a 2013 Forester on the last day possible but then realized that this might be the better forum.

Subaru cut off factory orders a week ago in order for them to retool the assembly line for the 2014 redesigned Forester which goes on sale in November in Japan and in early 2014 in the US. Yes you read that correctly, the 2013s which only hit the lots in August, are already on the way out.

So use this info to your advantage if you're in the market for a Forester. You can either get a good deal on a 2013 or wait a few months for the 2014s to arrive. You can google a leaked brochure picture of the 2014 model to see if you like the new look. It's expected to be based upon the redesigned 2013 Impreza and it's exterior demensions will increase slightly. It will also almost certainly be offered with a CVT (at least in thebase models) and get somewhat better gas mileage.

Based upon the leaked picture, I'm okay with getting the current model. While it never won any styling awards, I've always liked the utility-oriented body style and dislike the current trend towards swoopy and rounded with its associated loss of interior volume and driver visibility.

-Frank P.
  • 59redrover59redrover Member Posts: 1
    Out the door $23,200 you gotta figure at least 2K for tax, dmv etc. Sounds a little steep to me. I'd say $20,250 before the taxes etc is a better number. I was offered a 2012 Premium with tons of options (back up camera, all weather, all weather plus, nav, etc etc. for $22,995. I was also offered a 2013 premium model with back up camera and the all weather package for $23,400. I just, last week, bought a 2013 Forester Limited with great options. for $24,850......$27,550 out the door. Those are California big city numbers.
    What was your final agreed price on the car vs. MSRP, Frank?
    Wes - I was fully prepared to haggle over the price but the dealer low balled me :surprise:
    I was hoping for $3k below MSRP and the dealers initial offer was $4400 below MSRP! I suspect they're going to ask for $200-300 in "processing fees" but at that price, I'm not even going to quibble.

Frank P
  • hermomhermom Member Posts: 1
    I am going to Atlanta to help my 22 yo buy a her 1st new car. The on-line MSRP for the 2013 Forrester 2.5X automatic transmission/alloy wheels ranges between $23,929 to 24,361. What is the fair market value I should be looking at? Edmunds estimates $22,700 incl destination fees. To be honest, the 2012 weren't that much cheaper. But nice to know they are re-tooling for the 2014 already!

Also - do you recommend an extended warrantee?

I've bought 3-4 cars on my own in the past....just want to feel like the salesperson and I both got a fair deal. Yr help is very much appreciated.
    Edmunds TMV is normally a good guide. You can sometimes do better but I would sleep well just matching the TMV.

I'm firmly in the Consumer Report's camp WRT extended warranties. CR hates them. Especially when you're buying something like a Subaru which has been consistently reliable.

Frank P
    Last day of the month, gotta meet a quota so let's take a loss on one vehicle to meet a target kind of thing?
    No, I placed the order on the 19th. Plus I doubt the dealer can count it as a sale until I take delivery.
    Hmm, maybe some end of model year incentives hidden in that deal.

Sounds good to me!
    I agree it sounds too good to be true, especially since that was the dealer's initial offfer. But the finance guy seemed confident that it was the best deal I could get and promised to beat anyone else's price (and in fact it beat Fitzmall's internet price by $450) .
  • popomama1popomama1 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2012
    MSRP $23,623 (Alloy Wheel package+Cargo Tray+Auto Dimmer w/ homelink).
    Selling price $19,620
    TTL/DMV: ~$350
    + Tax
    0% financing.
    Purchased at the end of September.
    Under $20k for all that, kudos.
  • rk4750rk4750 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2012
    MSRP : 24795
    ALL Weather package: 1000 - 400 discount = $600
    Backup camera $230
    Pop Pkg#2 $606
    (has auto dim mirror/compass/cargo tray/rear bumper cover/splashguard)
    Dest charge: $795

Total suggested retail price is $27,026

I was quoted :$23211 for this.

Tax :1950
    Fees:378 ( DMV + deals doc fees etc)

I am ready to purchase this. This is in San Jose CA. Can I do better than this? He just gave an internet quote and sticking to the price. What will be a best bet for me.
  • rk4750rk4750 Member Posts: 5
    Where did you buy this? Will pick one today :)
    Are you kidding me?! You'd better run with it before the dealer realizes his accounting error! :P
  • illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    Hi all. I bought a 2013 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition and traded in my 2002 Forester, so I won't be needing a spare clock.

About 6 years ago the clock stopped working and I finally got mad enough and bought a replacement, I *think* from SubaruParts.com or something like that. Then when it arrived I realized I didn't know how to take off the trim. So I googled it, and instead found out how many people had a similar problem, and, that the source of the problem was a surface mount resistor that the solder broke free. So I took apart the existing clock, resoldered the resistor, and voila it works. So I put it back, and kept this one around.

So ..... I have no use for it now. But it is possible that this clock may have the same resistor problem, as would any other. So ..... I am offering it for just the the price of shipping. And I will go on the honor system, you tell me your address, I mail it to you, you pay me whatever way PayPal, check, at your leisure. If you want, I can take the clock apart and touch up the solder on the resistor, if I can remember which one it is.

Still have a problem though - can't list email addresses. So I am going to check the box below that says "Send me an Email Alert" when new messages are posted", and hopefully that will solve the problem.

LOL act now, I will throw in a Dual BTV30 Bluetooth hands free that sort of stinks, and I couldn't sell for a $1 on craigslist. Works, it just sort of stinks. It uses these powerful magnets and a steel clip that took me quite some time to figure out you are better off if you clip it on the inner edge of the visor instead of the outer edge, and then just pick it up when you need to flip the visor down.

A few things I miss about the Forester -
    - fit in tight parking spaces
    - rubber mat in the back - nobody makes a decent mat for the back of the 4Runner, not even WeatherTech, I emailed them on it.
    - AWD all the time. The TE can be a pain getting it into 4WD, turns out it has to be moving to go from 2H to 4H, then stopped from 4H to 4L. The manual said just less than 50 mph, but neglected to mention >0 mph. What am I supposed to do if we get another snowstorm like 2 years ago and I cant get the thing moving to slip it into 4WD trying to get out of the garage, in the crazy S shape that I have to do to get it out?

What I don't miss -
    - having to pull the seat up when my kids are in the back.
  • tim166tim166 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Have benefitted from reading this forum and woudl like to report my recent purchase of a 2013 Forester 2.5X auto with alloy wheel package.

MRRP:23690
    Paid: 21175 plus tax, doc fees.

Also traded in my 2009 Nissan Versa for 9550.

Not sure if this was the best deal we could get but we are happy about it.
    Sounds fair given you had the trade.
  • phillthedogphillthedog Member Posts: 1
    New Subaru Forester breaks cover
    DAVE MOORE
    Last updated 11:38 13/11/2012

TALL POPPY: The new Subaru Forester will be in New Zealand in 2013.

The new Forester has grown. At 4595mm, it's 35mm longer than before, while its 1795mm height is 15mm taller, and at 1695mm across the beam it's also 20mm wider.

It also rides on a 25mm longer wheelbase of 2640mm which, says Subaru, means it will offer an exceptionally roomy interior, featuring increased rear seat legroom, and an enlarged cargo area.

Cosmetically, the new model has a distinctive crease running down just under its waistline, while the new grille introduced on the Impreza is also included, and new bumpers and alloy wheels. Overall, it's a much neater, less quirky design. Equipment changes include a new infotainment centre with smartphone integration, along with Sat-Nav with a reversing camera, and in most markets, an upmarket Harmon Kardon sound system.

The 2014 Forester will be available with two petrol engines for New Zealand. The base 2.5-litre boxer four will make 127kW and will drive through a six-speed manual in the entry-point model, with a seven-step Lineartronic CVT also available across the range.

A new 2.0-litre direct-injection turbocharged flat-four producing 206kW will also be available, but with the Lineartronic transmission only.

The fourth generation Forester will also get a modified version of Subaru's popular 2.0-litre turbodiesel, putting out 112kW, and for the first time will be offered with a Lineartronic CVT option.

The Forester went on sale in Japan today, and will make its first public outing outside its native market at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show on November 30.
    it's a much neater, less quirky design

No agreement from me on either point. I think this new iteration moved a little bit back toward the "quirky" end of the meter.
    edited November 2012
    Slightly, but still very evolutionary.

It looks like ... well, like a Forester.
  • nysniper28nysniper28 Member Posts: 18
    FINALLY GOT ONE......2013 2.5X Premium w/ All Weather PLUS package (Cargo tray, body side molding, all weather floor mats, rear bumper cover, splash guards, auto dim mirror, luggage compartment cover **threw compartment cover in with deal**) MSRP = $27,096.....Got it for 24,500. Traded in a 2005 forester that needed ALOT of work done too it, prob over $1000, and the total price came to $16,000 with the trade. Tax (8.75%) and title brought it to $17,550. Not sure if I could have done better but it was my first time dealing with a trade-in and was very happy when we agreed upon the $16,000 number. (Upstate NY)
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    You might also tell him if your dad qualifies for the 1.9 you want it or your going to buy else where. That may help. Hopefully it can't hurt.

My experience with dealers is the name I use for them "STEALERS"
    Congrats. :shades:
    Agreed; congrats. Sounds like a good deal for all involved.
  • nassaujurnassaujur Member Posts: 9
    Has anybody purchased a 2013 Forester Limited in NJ / NY / CT area recently? I know one dealership in cali is discounting $4190 on all trims of 2013 Foresters. I was wondering if similar deals can be had around here. Thanks!
  • regal1994regal1994 Member Posts: 7
    I purchased a 2013 2.5X Forester automatic with alloy wheel pkg, auto dim mirror/compass, splash guards, cargo tray and rear bumper cover from Grand Subaru in Bensenville, IL on Sat. The purchase price was $20898 plus TTL, Doc Fee for OTD $22,832. MSRP was $24,202. Worked with Dan in internet sales, who was very responsive and played no pricing games. The e-price sent was the price paid when I arrived at the dealership. He also worked to get the color with the options that we wanted from another dealer. The Forester was completely ready to go when we came in for delivery. The whole process took about 1-1.5 hour including arranging financing.
  • prakashvprakashv Member Posts: 3
    Has anybody purchased a 2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited Auto in Southern California area recently? Please let me know what would be the best price to buy. I would like to know the OTD Price, not the just the Car Price. Please share your experiences.Thanks!
    Even I am planning to buy one 2013 Forester Limited in LA, California. Please let me know the out of the door price. Is it $27,550 out the door. I am targeting S26,750 out of door. Since my first quote offer $800 below invoice and the invoice is $25306- 800 = 24506. My assumption is 24506+10%(taxes and registration) will come to $26956. Please let me know if its possible
  • pcs714pcs714 Member Posts: 2
    I got one for 24.7 plus tax title license. Msrp 28.7 in SoCal.
  • nanothingnanothing Member Posts: 1
    I bought an almost exact model Forester (with an additional rear camera) in December for $1,000 less (mine is $2,000 below the invoice) in a dealership near Chicago (Autobarn). you overpaid for a 2013 Forester premium with all weather plus package and popular package #3 (the new 2014 Forester wikk be out in april or may 2013 with CVT instead of 4-speed automatic and Subaru is trying to unload the 2013 Forester). It was for my wife and she likes the simplicity of 4-speed, that is all right for me.
  • types04types04 Member Posts: 12
    Have you had any luck finding a dealer in the NY/CT area that discounts foresters similarly?
  • slingahslingah Member Posts: 2
    MSRP 27,997
    -4000. discount
    $23997. paid
    In Braintree MA. Seemed like a good deal with the 0% financing.
  • types04types04 Member Posts: 12
    That is a good deal - who did you work with to get the deal? Did you like your experience there (are they high pressure, are they nice, etc)? Were there any shady additional charges (anything besides taxes, registration, 300-500 for doc fees)?

I live within 90 minutes of them - seems like the best deal around.
  • slingahslingah Member Posts: 2
    I was on my toes every second of the way.....they all suck in my opinion. It was a internet special. They tried all the usual games. I checked everywhere locally, this was the best I could get....
    that was the price plus taxes & rmv costs and 299 doc fee
  • subibuyersubibuyer Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Looking to take advantage of the 0% incentive until 1/31. Although I'm pretty sure they will extend it after 1/31. Been shopping around and best quote was $3812 off MSRP.

I see folks have been getting $4000+ off MSRP as early as last Nov, so I'm thinking I can get at least that much off.

Have been tracking the dealer inventory and the forester stock had barely moved over the past week. Maybe 1 or 2 sold.

What are u guys' take? Keep waiting? I know inventory will become an issue in terms of getting precisely what we want. However if significant savings can be had, I think it's worth it.
  • broken_arrowbroken_arrow Member Posts: 5
    First time for an internet buy for any car since I started driving, long B 4 there even was a WWW. Some patrons are comparing pricing & performance, I would like to throw this into the mix & maybe help others in their auto-buying decisions. My first Subaru ever, I pick up a 2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X PZEV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual) on 25 January 2013 at Appleway Subaru in Spokane Valley, Washington state (close to the ID state line), I will be paying $26,447, no financing. My choice of Forester build is minimal 'glam' no I-anything, back-viewing cameras, Bluetooth nothing, or talking navigation gizmos. Took exact same model out for a 5-mile back country roads and freeway home loop in a bad weather day here. It handles very well in our snow, black-ice, hail and normal Inland Empire winter weather, it drove a charm, the 5-speed is the only model I would buy, 36 years of stick-shift cars (military and civilian) and coast 2 coast/overseas driving makes me an automatic disaster waiting to happen when I finally 'clutch in' fast on a (no clutch) auto brake pedal which is no clutch! Not even close to a fun end to that story. I got one of 3 in the 5-speed manual-tranny configuration that was delivered to the dealership on 23 Jan for my pick up. Was going to buy another MT 98% of 2013 models on the lot cars are now auto, and where the heck did a 6-shirt idea come from? IMHO that's 1-gear too many, I drive cars, I don't buy so-called 'smart cars' that drive me into situations my mind/body is tuned to a 5 shift manual transmission and more power to auto models buyers, just not for me. Happy hunting :-)
    Thanks for Sharing the Price.

Forester Limited

I quoted :$27100 OTD price Timmons Subaru dealer (Long Beach), its a family owned dealership, the sales man i dealt with "RC". The buying experience is really nice. Only part i haven't done enough research is the warranty. I brought it for gold plus warranty $1000 with $0 deductible. I think i would have got it for $850 if i did enough research.
    I got my forester 100% financed by Subaru for 63 months @ 0% APR.

Taxes slightly vary by city as well.
    So I got it for $24563+ Taxes = $27100 OTD + $1000 (warranty)
    I like the manual story, BA! It's difficult to compare apples-to-apples, though, if that's your out-the-door price. What was the final price on the car itself before tax, title, and license?