Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Need information on Nissan 350Z problems & issues

lawsonblawsonb Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Nissan
I am seriously considering purchasing a 2003 or 2004 350Z. I would love to get information from current owners on any problems or issues they have had with the car.

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi there, lawsonb. You'll also want to check some of the discussions about the 350Z elsewhere in Town Hall. That's where you're most likely to find other owners and enthusiasts. Just use the search tools in the gray sidebar at the left to find them.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• zaneatnissanzaneatnissan Member Posts: 1
    Hello Lawsonb,
    I am a Nissan Sales Rep. at Downtown Seattle Nissan. I have worked here for over a year, and there has only been 1 real issue with the 350Z. On the early models the windows had a problem staying fully on track, and would put grease marks on the windows. My service guys quickly corrected this problem by installing a new "window regulator brush kit". That is the only reoccuring problem we have had. I hope this info helps you in your decision. 350Z's KICK BUTT!!!..........ZANE
  • zbabezbabe Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I both own 350Z's. Wondering if any other Z owners have had similar problems.
    We both have a problem with the paint(Both are Redline Color)Appear to have what looks like an overspray pattern on car. More concentrated in some areas. It looks like it is under the clear coat,almost like paint is lifting. There are several places(12-13 on mine which sits in hot sun & 8-9 on hubby's)that look like rock chips on both our hoods. Let me tell you... his is 5 weeks old and only driven 3days a week and sits under shelter with cover on it. Mine is 3weeks old.
    Dealership says they will fix it by sanding it down and re-coating it. But...If it is not completely redone wouldn't you expect problems later? And if it is on both cars doesn't it seem to be a problem originating from the factory?
    Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    Your post mentions 2 paint problems - overspray and rock chips. Can't comment on the overspray, but rock chips are a problem with 350Zs. All of the 350Z internet forums discuss this problem. I believe 350Zs use the new environmentally friendly paint. This paint chips extremely easily. The problem is not limited to 350Zs. I have the same problem on my 01 Solara. I think the problem is especially bad with the 350Z because the front is so low to the ground.

About the only thing you can do is either use a conventional bra or the clear 3M firm. A bra is cheaper, but IMO ugly and requires maintenance. When my 350Z was a few days old, I had the 3M clear film applied to the front and mirrors. This stuff is great. Almost invisible on the car and can be waxed just like paint. It is pricey -probably $500-$1000 for a 350Z.

If you're getting your car repainted, after the repaint would be the time to get the clear film applied. The problem you might have is that the paint may have to cure for a while before applying the clear film. While waiting for the paint to cure, you may pick up more stone chips on the new paint.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want more details on the clear film.
  • maxiusmaxius Member Posts: 7
    Hi I am interested in getting a 350Z next summer when the least is up on my 2001 Mustang GT. Can anyone tell me how well that 350Z handles in the snow since this will be my only car and it is RWD. I live in NJ which can get a lot of snow sometimes. Thanks Max
  • q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
    Heel toe wear is common on performance tires with directional tread on cars with aggressive suspensions.

It is a tire design problem, the inner and outer tread blocks squirm under pressure. Unfortunately tying the blocks together causes wet friction problems....no where for water to go.

3,000 mile 90 day demounts and flips on wheels are the only solution! The Michelin Pilots tend to be the least offensive but they still have to have the process.

Impossible to find non directional tires now that are close enough to oem standards to avoid the flip demount.

When you push the envelope something has to give and tires are cheap considering the 10% improvement in performance.

Consider the Pirelli P Zero Nero as a adequate non directional tire almost performance tire, at least rotateable with out flipping.
  • foolsbrainfoolsbrain Member Posts: 7
    The 350z handles quite well in snow, provided you have a set of good snow tires. The clearance is not that great, though. So you have to stay off the road when a pile of fresh snow is dumped.
  • zzz350zzz350 Member Posts: 44
    I'm looking for some recommendations for after-market speakers. When I was shopping for a Z, I tried both BOSE and standard sound systems, both equally sucked. Therefore I opted for the standard system with the idea of replacing the speakers. Has anyone had any success with improving your sound? In my opinion, mid-range is deficient in the manufacturers equipment.
  • egkwolekegkwolek Member Posts: 1
    Everytime I fill the tank the sevice engine light comes on. I bought it used with 3400mi. not from Nissan. I was told by the mechanic that it was recalled. I contacted Nissan and they told me my car was not on the list for recalls. Also Im having problems with the Bose stereo. Too much bass at times. Do you think this is still warranty work? Thx
  • nohitterhoodnohitterhood Member Posts: 6
    Hi all you 350Z owners,
    I am in the final stages of deciding on a new car.It is between the 350Z and the STi.
    I would like to know MPG figures for the 350Z cruising at 70-80 mph, which is normal for the central valley when the CHP is not around.
    Thank you guys and gals.
    Fred Hood
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Please continue in the 350Z Owners Club Problems & Solutions.
This discussion has been closed.