Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 silverado 2500hd vs. 1500

biker56biker56 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Is the 2500 hd silverado a better riding truck
than the 1500? Is the extra equipment on the 2500
worth the extra dollars?

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Hell yeah.

I own a 2000 2500 LT.

Check out Topic 768 devoted to this subject..

- Tim
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    If you mean smoother and more car like the 1500 must be better. For good manners over serious bumps or with a load then the 2500 is better. Why do you think the majority of truck sales are 1/2 ton? Ride and cost.
    Vince..

The 3/4 does RIDE better also.

You'll see.

- Tim
  • madison6madison6 Member Posts: 1
    If you have the opportunity to get a Silverado 2500 over a 1500, I would not hesitate. Unless you will be more than happy and settle for a 1500, opt for a 2500 ton. Basically, it's the
    big brother of the two trucks. It's like Beauty
    and the Beast. The Silverado 3/4 ton is simply bigger and tougher. A few things that make this
    the 2500's trait is the thicker frame, heavy duty 4L80E transmission, Corporate 14-Bolt rear axle with 4.10 gearing option, larger front differential, stronger a-arms, and 8-lug wheels to name some advantages. However, a 1500 will do just fine in most cases, but a 2500 is just for the people looking for a bigger and better truck. The best part is the price, for the extra money you spend you get A LOT.

Madison@Softdisk.com
    For the extra money...it's practically peanuts!

Once you have had 3/4....you will never go back.

All I can ask myself now is.....what took you so long?

- Tim
    Tim, I have a hard time believing that the 2500 rides better than the 1500. I've only driven the 2500 w/firm ride so I can't compare but common sense says a softer suspended vehicle must be smoother. I could see where it might wallow about on the freeway a bit. When you say "better" do you maybe mean more controlled and stable rather than smoother?
  • gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    I've heard Tim's sermon and believe.

Heavier truck + good suspension = smooth ride

Another thing makes a truck smoother, the long bed. Just needs more room.
    The beginning of the 1/2 or 3/4 chevy section...

You never compared the two?

The 3/4 Firm compared to the 1/2 Z71 was sooooo much better in all departments. Both are hard rides..but 800 extra pounds takes the bumps better and is more in control on washboard type roads. Now while going down the roads and hitting a series of bumps...the 3/4 is rough...don't make no mistake..but still handles better than a Z71.

I've never driven a 1/2 Firm ride or a 3/4 standard ride to tell you what they be like. probably pretty darn mushy..

..Another Sermon wrapped up..Do you believe children?

- Father Tim

...(How did I go from Wrath to father?)
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    I recently contimplated a 3/4 vs. 1/2 ton and choose the 1/2 ton. I think for family use and minimal "work" this is the best choice. I'll use it for weekend project and yard work, etc. The penalty you pay for the 3/4 ton is fuel mileage. This was a concern for me. In the 4X4 3/4 ton you have to take the 6.0L engine. This is a great motor, but only get about 12mpg. A 1/2 ton 5.3L 4X4 gets 15mpg and will probably out perform it's 6.0L cousin due to it's weight. 3/4 ton is a work truck more for heavy duty use. For me it just seemed silly to buy something bigger than I'll actually use, but I see lots of single people driving 1 ton crew cab duallies which I just can't understand. Bigger is better and if you could get a 3/4 ton 4X4 with the 5.3L I would have probably gotten that instead - oh well.
    I use it for about the same as you. Although MPG was of no concern to me...never has been. I wanted a 6.0...and that's how it came to be!
    Only reason I jumped into a 3/4 was to see what the new 6.0 was like. little did I know that I has been buying the wrong truck all this time.

a 5.3 1/2 (that has 3.06 first gear) probably will out perform a 3/4 6.0 (with 2.48 first gear) off the line....after that ..well...it's just a 1/2 ton.
    racing trucks is kinda dumb...I prefer to see cars racing.

When I'm on the Highway ramp and push it half wayu down...and go from 60 to 85 in nothing...I'm glad I got the 6.0.

it's all a matter of preference....and I found my new preference....

- Tim
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    The 2500 rides smooth for a heavy truck, but stiff springs + skinny shocks = Bounce! No way ride is more controlled than Z71 on 1/2 tons. The 3/4's have to be oversprung for payload, and underdamped for a comfortable ride.
    Tim's right, 6.0L is a hoss. But in a drag race with a 5.3L 1/2 ton, the big V8 has to work against the taller gearing of the 4L80. So it ends up being being slower by 1 to 2 tenths at most every speed up to 70 mph. From 70-80, the 6.0L finally drops the hammer down hard on the 5.3L, beating it to 80 mph by 6/10's. In the quarter mile ET, they are identical, but the 6.0L smokes to a trap speed nearly 5 mph faster, making up at the finish line what it gave away to the 5.3L at the starting line.
    I didn't seriously look at a 1/2 ton because I need a 3/4.

I have a question on the firm ride option. My first salesman told me it included heavier leaf springs but all I've heard here is different shocks. We all know about the accuracy of the crack auto sales staff out there so I thought I would ask you all. I don't want a firmer ride than necessary with no load so I ordered the regular suspension. Since I'm using air bags for load assist I didn't think I needed the option. If the stock shocks aren't up to the task I can replace them easy enough. So what exactly does the firm ride option include???
    Firm ride is 36mm shocks instead of 32mm. That's it as far as I know? No difference in springs.

Quad,

I drove a 3/4 Firm and a 1/2 Z71 on the same path when I test drove a while back. The last stretch was on a washboard dirt road that crossed over Rail road tracks in the middle. Me and my wife were in the truck. Both of us said the 3/4 handled better. Maybe it is the only road in the US where this can happen? I'm telling the truth here. Or maybe i have been lying all along on all these topics. Bounce is not happening with My 2500 as you say it will.
    I don't know what more to say?...but the 3/4 handles better.

- Tim
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    I test drove a 99 Z71 5.3 auto/4.10 and three 99 3/4 tons 4x4. Two had the 3.73 (one auto and one stick) and one had auto/4.10. All four rode much better than my 97 Z71. I couldn't say one rode better than the other. I thought all four rode well. But the Z71 with the 4.10 was much quicker off the line and surprisingly at 65 mph it was much quicker too. It would really snap. but the 6.0 3/4 wasn't bad at 65. So if your looking for a quick truck I would recomment the 1/2 ton. But if your pulling over 8000 the 6.0 is the way to go. ..... Rich
    Until you get yours Rich....55 and above is sooooo sweet. The 1/2 does not even come close in comparison.

You sticking with a 3/4 Chevy still?

- Tim
    Neat facts on the acceleration between the 5.3L and 6.0L. Let's face it we all obey the speed limit so any test above 65 (in Wisconsin) would not be legal. Anyway with the mileage penalty is it really worth it?? To me is wasn't - I mainly bought it for performance a cargo hauling capabilities so I chose a 1/2 ton 4x4, short box, regular cab, 5.3L. Figure with some after market acc. I'll be able to keep up with that Lightening and have the utility of 4 wheel drive for the WI winters. Racing trucks is pretty cool though. Who hasn't slammed down the accelerator to see what it's got? Or pulled next to a teenage in a mustage and blown his doors off!! Supid? Come on!!!
    About two trucks racing gives me a chuckle. Dunno what it is....just don't look right. When I wanna race....I'll jump into a Chevelle and demonstrate REAL power..

- Tim
    Cars will always be faster than trucks, but it's just nice to blow away the grocery getter every once in a while!! Good luck with yours..
    Yea I'll be looking at the Chevy 2003 super duty with the big block gas engine and four doors. But Chevy doesn't have such a vehicle for sale now. So I'm going with Dodge for 2000. It doesn't ride quite as smooth as the Chevy on good road but it handles the bunps better. Its back seat isn't as nice as Chevy either but my dog says she'd rather have four doors than a plush seat. And the Dodge will handle up to a 13,800 pound trailer with 3000 pound kingpin weight vs the Chevy 10,000+ with 2500 pound kingpin weight. And the new interior SLT+ is more comparible to the LT interior. I think I'll be please. After all Dodges are by far the most popular tow trucks you see in camp grounds. The Ford was nice too but it had no appeal. Rich
    Rich,

My heart just stopped! What have you done?

Daffy said.."No NO NO NO!!..Not the wed one...don't ever push the wed one!!"

..I'm saying..."Don't ever say the "D" word.

Hope it works for ya.

I guess some will buy because of a 4th door.

Good Luck

Seriously

- Tim
    Chevy is 11,200..not 10,000

- Tim
    Would someone take me to the hospital..

hehehheheeee

- Tim
    Tim , I'm sure you will recover, but look at it this way, that leaves one more 3/4 available for someone who will appreciate more than me. And Lord knows there scarce. Chevrolet has a fine 3/4 ton truck , but they've just never got their act together since the last strike. Hopefully I'll be able to reconsider them in a few years. But back to the topic at hand. ...... If I didn't have a fifth wheel to tow I think I would go with the 1/2 ton. Reasons .. Better mileage and getup and go. Also better availability. Chevy is making the 3/4 the poor brother to the 1/2 ton. Only gets whats left after the allocation of 1/2 are built. ..... Rich
    Which engine are you going to choose? And what colors?
    Let us know how the trip goes.

Hope to see ya in a Chevy next time..
    V-10 auto with 4.10 rearend, 4x4 3/4 ton with trailering and camper package. SLT+ Forest Green Pearl Coat / Camel interior. My wife and both think Chevy has a better color selection. And a few other options. I am also looking to add MAAP polished stainless steel Nerf bars, and either a Roll-N-Lock or Specialties Covers bed cover. I have the Roll-N-Lock now on my 97-Z71. The Specialties Covers is an elecetric cover with remote(talk about lazy). ...... My Chevy broke down again yesterday. Another flat tire, the third. In 50K miles I've had 3 flats, numerous oil changes and filters and one fuel filter. A truck cann't get much better than that. I still got my original wiper blades and tires! .... Rich
    I agree with the other guys Dodge?? Wouldn't you think the diesel would have been a better choice?? Think the V-10 would keep pace with the 6.0L? No really Dodge makes a good truck, good luck!
    Speaking of diesels, this is an issue Chevy lovers will have to face shortly too as I expect the SD Chevy 3/4 will have the Isuzu diesel within a year or so. In comparing to a big block gas engine the diesel has much better fuel economy and longitivity. That the diesel has more torque may or may not be true. Against the diesel is more maintenance. Warm up and cool down. And Noise. Now some Dodge owners do buy the diesel for its sound. Some of are drivien away by it. The Ford diesel is a little quieter that the Dodge and I personally found its noise level tolerable. Where will the Chevy/Isuzu diesel fit in this? Time will tell. But I still like rock n Roll. And a Dodge diesel engine and Rock n Roll are mutually exclusive. But it would be neat to drive one with a six speed stick for a while. But eventually It would get old for me. ..... Rich
  • leathal02leathal02 Member Posts: 114
    I have a '99 z-71, i'll admit it does ride somewhat rough, but.. it is s truck, it is a short wheel base, and it is pretty light

i like the 6.0 and would have loved to have it in a 1/2 ton, but had to settle for the 5.3, but hell im not complainin one bit!!!

BTW the z-71 is awesome if you go on a offroad or bumpy road or even over a bunch of railroad tracks, floats over like a breeze

i do like that the 3/4 tons look like a truck, the 1/2 tons look kinda small, but i'll just have to live

long live chevy
    One problem current Dodge and Ford 3/4 4x4 owners face is that the trucks won't fit all garages. If that is a problem for you, you probably should get one of the old style 454's if you can find them. Chevy's new big block will also be in a taller truck I bet. Right now I have my garage door trim tore out. It is an arched entry, 83 inch in the middle and 73 inches at the edges. Debating now that I'm this far to make it strait accross or a slighter arch. Good thing is I only have to tear it apart, my son in law (a carpenter) will put it back together(G). Rich
    on my 1/2 ton 2000 GMC I have ordered, but was thinking a 3/4 ton would be a better choice. 1/2 ton has a snow plow prep package, but I still have a little time to change my order. I travel about 80 miles a day to and from work and mileage is a consideration. Any thoughts?? Thanks...
  • mmarkdmmarkd Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to decide between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. I think the biggest advantage to getting the 3/4 ton is the 6.0 engine which has cast iron heads vs aluminum heads on the 5.3 engine. Is this a real advantage or not?
    Aluminum don't cut it.

More yuppy designers at work....

Nothing like a V-8..Iron heads..RWD.

- Tim
    Aluminum dissipates heat better, so they run more spark advance, get better fuel economy.

Aluminum can warp if it over heats, but that's not going to happen on the 4.8L or 5.3L because GM has a "limp" mode to drive home in when you lose all the coolant. Basically what happens, is cylinders get turned off, and cool down by pumping cool air through them until they can be turned on again. You drive with reduced power, but also don't overheat the engine. They will last just as long. Remember, all the moving parts in the aluminum and iron heads, the valves, guides, seats, inserts, rockers, are all made from other steels. Aluminum is not used in a bearing.

Iron heads? Better own stock in Archer Daniels Midland Company.
  • moudry1moudry1 Member Posts: 61
    I have a 00' 2500,LT,4x4,ext.cab,short box,4.10 rear,firm ride. This truck has a MUCH better ride than my 98' 1500. Most roads I travel on are quite bumpy as most roads are,so the firm ride makes more sense.Does a damn fine job towing too. Extra weight+ more rigidity+ firm suspension+ driving the best truck money can buy= a better ride. I am with Tim on this one, once you go 3/4 you will not go back.As Jimmy Buffett once said; we're all more than contented to be living and dying in 3/4 time.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Hey i thought they only made the 3/4 in the LS and Base decors? Maybe im wrong but i have never seen a 3/4 ton LT? SOmeone please let me know if they actually make em. Just curious thanks

Ryan
    Mine is an LT 3/4 also.

Pics are on the Silverado topic.

All are available in all trim.

- Tim
  • gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    2000 Sierra/Silverado 2500s (3/4-tons) offered in all trims (including SLE & SLT). Check www.kelleybluebook.com for the most current base and options (invoice & MSRP). Edmunds is a little behind, especially for the 3/4-tons.
  • danjandanjan Member Posts: 15
    I've been following all of the posts on the 3/4 Ton Chevys. I have a 99 LS 2500 HD W/HD 4-spd Auto-Tans W/tow-haul, Trailering package, Auto-trac, Locking diff, 3.73 Rear Axle, (should have ordered the 4.10....oh well) LT245/75R16/E Tires, Forged Alum Wheels and a host of other goodies. This by far is the fastest, best riding truck I have ever owned. I have one question which nobody seems to be able to answer. While trailering, do I use Tow-haul full-time or do I use it only on long hills and heavy traffic. My trailer is 29 feet long and weighs about 8,000 loaded. I average 9-10 mpg in drive and and 8.5 to 9.3 in tow-haul. I have a Reese equalizing hitch and anti-sway bars. My trailer tows like a dream. Most of the time I don't even feel it behind me. I realize that the tow-haul mode provides a longer shifting pattern which of course keeps the Tranny from searching for the correct gear. My tranny fluid has never gone over 190 degrees in either mode even with the A/C on full blast. I guess I prefer to drive in drive, but I don't know if I'm shortening the life of my Tranny by doing this. In my old 1/2 Ton truck and with a smaller trailer, I just dropped into 3rd. gear and left it there. This tow-haul mode is a little confusing. I've heard many different ideas. Is it there for a valid reason or is it Chevy's answer for third gear? Any help would really be appreciated.
    As for your last question, the answer is yes, and no. No problem with 3rd gear. The "valid" reason for tow/haul is that you'll like the truck better for having it. With one button click, you can explore its features. You aren't going to hurt it. You may not even need it.

I turn my on sometimes just for seconds, when I want to plan ahead for something in front, maybe near the top of a hill, then quickly switch off going down.

The best setting for tow/haul is the one that minimizes needless gear changes.
    the tow/haul feature just holds off shifting so that the trans. in not constantly downshifting. Like Quad said - I'd play with it a little...
  • 2500lt2500lt Member Posts: 18
    Does NOT just hold back shifting. It totally re-programs the entire spectrum for much more aggressive shifts and yes....holds back a little. The truck even when dry...acts like a whole different beast in tow/haul mode.

Danjan,

I got a 2000 2500LT 4:10 (Just like Tim...What a coincidence).
    Why do you say you should have got 4:10? I love them...but wonder how much less is the 3:73 with the 6.0? Is it just not enough when hauling at highway speeds for you?
    Dan, I also had a 1/2 ton with the 5.7, 3.73rear.With this truck I would also use third most of the time while towing our 5500# trailer.Now with the new truck I have found the best method for towing Is leave it in drive and use the tow haul mode for most of the situations third was used for,( grades, corners, slow driving,accelerating,etc).Soon as I am cruising I just shut it off.I can also use O.D. much more than I could before with the 6.0 and 4.10 rear. I have had excellent performance towing this way and love every mile.
    Moudry1, OK, thanks for the response. I guess I'm still a little unclear on the use of the darn thing. Do I leave my transmission in drive and use tow-haul when needed or do I leave my transmission in 3rd and use tow-haul when needed.

While driving in drive, I experience a real lag in shifting on a long grade and occasionally it snaps with a bang into a lower gear with tow-haul on. In third, I don't notice this, but I also don't use tow-haul either. When I use drive only, on the interstate without tow-haul on, I lose speed on a hill in cruise and then experience lock-up. Maybe I should trade for a 2000 1 Ton. When I'm not towing, the truck drives like a dream and I experience none of the above. Perhaps my computer needs to be tweaked with a magic pill! My dealer of course says there is nothing wrong with my truck. Mr. Goodwrench sometimes knows less than the rest of us. No pun intended. I will be towing my trailer to Texas this Winter from here in Wisconsin and I'm really going to put this vehicle to the test. I also extended my warranty just for good measure. Transmission problems I don't need!
    2500LT: There is some difference between the 4.10 and the 3.73....probably r.p.m.'s would be the big difference. Also I would imagine the 4.10 might take a gallon or two more in gas. Other than that I think the 3.73 should be able to handle a 7-8,000 pound trailer with ease. I don't tow full-time, but I do enjoy some decent gas mileage once in awhile, although the 6.0 is nothing to brag about. My Transmission temperature does not increase too much now in this cool weather. I'm running between 140 and 160. I just returned from a 150 mile trip to my travel trailer dealer for a warranty fix. With 12,000 miles on my truck and driving in drive using tow-haul only on hills, I averaged 10.8 miles per gallon. I drove mostly on a two lane road at 60 m.p.h. I can live with that just fine. I used tow-haul on a long hill...it down-shifted and for the first time it never down-shifted any further. I think with the tinkering of this little button, I can fine tune all of my towing. On the long hill I took my truck out of cruise and then engaged tow-haul and it seemed to perform much better than using tow-haul and cruise at the same time. When I reached the top and just before descending the other side of the hill, I took it out of tow-haul and went back into cruise. I think if I had the 4.10, I could leave it in cruise all of the time but with the 3.73 it takes a little more tinkering. I really appreciate all of the posts and I still love my Chevy and it's still the best one I've owned. My Son-In-Law's 1 Ton Dodge is in the shop for a new transmission and my Son's new 3/4 Ton Ford is in for a new converter and I just keep on a chugging down the Hi-way. I really hear it from those two, but after 9 Chevy Pickups, I just keep laughing and saying, you'll learn someday...you'll learn. by the way my 68 3/4 Ton Chev with 4 on the floor is still running at 281,000 miles and believe it or not, it still has the original radiator, water pump and starter in it. Of course I did put new brushes in the starter once.
    When I tow I just leave it in drive ,not third.Then like I said I push the tow haul button for those occasions that O.D. won't pull it.I never use the cruise control when towing because the truck tries to hard to keep a constant speed,thus the erratic shifting.I have towed on twisty,graded,two lane roads and on the highway using this method and it works great.With the old truck I could rarely leave the tranny in O.D. on even the slightest grade on the highway , but with the 6.0 4.10 combo O.D pulls most all highway situations.Try using this method with the cruise OFF and see what you think.
    Thanks again Moudry1, You know, you are absolutely right. Using cruise control does screw things up a bit. My 89 1/2 ton was the first truck that I had cruise control on, and then my 91 1/2 ton had it also. I guess I have become lazy and have really forgotten the basics. Age does that to a person. I will be going out again this weekend and I'll post on Monday my results. My wifes Old's has cruise and my daughters Bonneville has cruise and I drive everything that sits in the driveway and I would imagine that by habit I just use "cruise" for everything. Retired and spoiled I am. Never to old to learn however. I may be old but I'm not dead yet. Still love my Chevy Truck!
  • buschenabuschena Member Posts: 5
    the tow-haul really improves towing with an
    auto transmission. Given the choice for my
    new Silverado 2500, should I get a manual
    transmission or the auto with the tow-haul?
    This chat group is the first one that seems
    to have experience with this question. Thanks
    ...For sure.

- Tim
This discussion has been closed.