Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
edited March 2014 in GMC
How did you do? Share your experience with others here!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• five0_4tluvfive0_4tluv Member Posts: 41
    Austin,Tx. load Tahoe LT 1-SM, with 3rd row, driver conv., side airbags, cargo pkg, sunroof, liftgate, wheel flares, xm radio, towing. drive out 40k.
  • shoeflypieshoeflypie Member Posts: 5
    I bought before all the extra rebates

2003 Tahoe LT, 3 row seat, lift gate, white letter tires. Drive out 32,700.
  • gmallthewaygmalltheway Member Posts: 77
    Dark Green , gray leather, sunroof, all the options,(3rd row not avalible in Z71) $36,700 out the door (without my $21,000 trade in that is.), Stickered just over $42,000. Progressive Chevrolet in Massillon Ohio is where i buy all my cars, very friendly people and willing to sell a WITH rebates.
  • pharmacydoctorpharmacydoctor Member Posts: 2
    Seems strange that I am about to buy this beast for $31,162. It has the cloth bench seats, 3rd row seating, 5.3L engine (flex), and does NOT INCLUDE the towing package or the assist-steps. I told the dealer, finance guy, and manager I was just looking at different dealerships. Before I knew it I had them down to offering me invoice price, but that didn't include the $2,500 incentive off the invoice. Somehow they have me believing I have a great deal, though I thought the incentives should be taken off from the invoice + their profit price. The invoice price, according it KBB.com is ~$30,456. The way I figure it, I should offer $500 over that ($30,956) and have them take the incentive from that.

Does that sound correct?
    Thanks guys.
    Mike
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Doc:

You should be able to buy Yukons all day everyday for $200-300 over invoice and keep the rebate for yourself. If you really want to get it cheap, wait a few months until the Nissan Armada starts stealing sales from them...

Good luck!
  • carjunkcarjunk Member Posts: 10
    price for LT with entertainment package, leather 1SM package, autoride etc 39k tax tags 2k
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I am considering an '04 Yukon with zero options. Off the base MSRP they've subtracted $445 for deleting bucket seats for a 40/60 bench (which loses the auto air) and cargo doors instead of the liftgate. It lists for $35280.
        Assuming I could find one, an identical base Tahoe with added traction control and locking differential would be $280 more. The Yukon also has upgraded exterior paint and trim similar to the Tahoe LT. Just find it interesting as Yukon is considered the upscale brand at GM and is actually a bit cheaper with identical options.
  • metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    GM has 2500 natl and 3500 regional cash on Tahoe. Local dealer is advertising 6500 off msrp. Shouldn't I be able to get something close to invoice price BEFORE rebates are applied? Especially if I sign over rebate to dealer?
    This would make for one heck of a deal in my book if I could get a 45k Tahoe for say 35K !
    Whaddya think?
    tia,
    metmdx
  • cpisanocpisano Member Posts: 23
    Most of the time, when a dealer quotes that in an ad, it includes the amount of the rebate. You usually do not get $6500 of MSRP plus the rebate. I would look closely at the ad. If the rebate is $3500, the ad will say $3000 off price and $3500 rebate.
  • jmenne1jmenne1 Member Posts: 8
    Metmdx,

Have you tried to get your price yet?

I've seen the advertised price include the rebate, but I also believe we should be able to buy at a price slightly over invoice ($300-$500) BEFORE the rebate is applied. That is how I intend to buy; we'll see if anyone wants to sell! There's lots of Tahoe's sitting on dealers' lots.
  • teamgomezteamgomez Member Posts: 17
    What do y'all think- 200 over invoice plus 3k cash back on a loaded slt 2wd (safe/sec plus sun/sound, tow, 5.3, rear seat, 3.73) on 31 dec 03?
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Dardson, nice example of the inconsistencies in GM pricing. Now for another inconsistency (at least as far as I'm concerned), Edmunds thinks that used Tahoes should sell for more than used Yukons!
    GM seems to have pulled the South/Central Region's $3500 rebate on Tahoe/Yukon as of today. It is now $2500.
  • shark2004shark2004 Member Posts: 1
    New Year's Eve in CA bought fully-loaded 2004 Tahoe LT 4WD with Sun/Sound Entertainment (sunroof and DVD), Safe and Secure (side airbags and stabilitrak), 5-spoke wheels, wheel flares, skid plates, for a price of 36.6k before tax and DMV.

This includes effect of 3k in rebates (2.5k rebate and $500 customer cash).

MSRP is $46,425, KBB lists invoice as $40,594.
  • amg1040amg1040 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2004 LT 2wd- sun/snd/ent 2nd row bucket seats - side imp bags - 17" wheels - locking rear diff - wheel flares - 3.73 axle.
    $36674.00 (inc 2.5k rebate)
    MSRP $46510.00 - East Coast Pricing much higher than midwest and west coast....
    why Edmunds shows the LS preferred equip. pkg as $1800+ but doesn't include the 5.3 engine? The one I'm looking at charges $1735 for the pkg and includes bucket seats, boses, rear audio controls, and the 5.3 V8. Is it a mistake or do prices vary by region? Transportation costs here is $815 and not $850. Rebate until Dec 31st in Texas was $3500. According to the GM site it changed to $2500 Jan 2; however, my salesman says the $3500 is still in effect although they're calling it rebate/customer loyalty incentive. Do they make all this stuff confusing as possible on purpose?
    You never really know what you paid when you trade a car; however, I've been a month+ shopping and researching my '02 Tahoe real-money value and decided something close to $22k was "all the money". My deal follows:
    MSRP $38390 Tahoe LS
    rebate+bonus money 3500
    dealer discount 4390
    net 30500
    trade-in 21500
    difference paid 9000
    GMCard money 2000
    diff.before TT&L 7000

If I got all my car was worth I paid $300 over Edmund's invoice number before rebate. If I believe the dealer who claimed invoice was $400 more, I paid less than invoice. Maybe my car was worth more but as I paid $28k for it 2 years ago, I'm happy enough with $21.5k. These trucks still are the best at holding value.
       Just for the record, I did a little internet shopping for a loan last week. Got a 4.49% for 60 months offer from Capital One. Easy as pie and do-able in about 1 hour. When I told the finance guy I had 4.49% lined up he did a little typing and dropped his 60mo rate from 5.9% to 4.6% so I could drive out with the car tonight.
        If you buy GM, get a GMCard. I got one 2 years ago, use it for everything (lotsa business stuff included), and accumulated enough 5% credit to take an additional $2000 off the trade. I might have left some money on the table, but I don't think they broke out the champagne bottle when I left. Is this a great country or what? Love my Tahoes!
    love the new LS. I immediately noticed the "Honda-like" soft feel on the turn signal lever (small thing but nice impression over the 02 Tahoe), more potent motor on the electric driver's seat, and quicker power windows. Chevy has not been sleeping over the last 2 years. Everything seems more slick, tight, and smooth. I moved from a bench to buckets. Very nice chairs and much better than the bench. Got the Bose. It's plenty good but not any better than the '02 standard sound which was just as good.
       GM seems to be trying to separate the upscale LT from the LS. No side air bags on the LS (without paying), no lights under the ext. mirrors, no light in the glove box, no light under the hood, and no passenger power seat. No huge deal. I'll be happy if they've resolved the steering wheel thumb, bump issue that required a lube every 6k miles. Love these cars.
  • biggie4852biggie4852 Member Posts: 34
    In the process of buying a 04 LS in SO/CAL. Wondering what does your Tahoe have on it. I am looking at $39960 MSRP for cloth interior and sun roof no bucket but in dash 6 CD steering wheel control. My price is $35032-4500 rebate=30532+tax etc. I wonder whether you feel this is a good prices?
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    FWIW--I have an '04 Denali XL and it doesn't have glove box and hood lights either...GM is definitely trying to pinch pennies here and there, at least on some of the '04 models.
    I went in to dealership talk to buy power manager today he gave me a invoice with the price to purchase with all tax and fee. The total was 33253 which was okay for the package in the car. What has me hesitating is they only want to give 13000 on my trade-in a 02 Trailblazer yes it has 49000 miles but this is less than KKB price for excellence condition.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    KBB and Edmunds are only an approximation of what a vehicle is valued at. If you want an excellent opinion of what your vehicle is worth go over to the smart shopper section and click on the real-world trade-in values link. Ask Terry to give you his opinion on what your existing truck is worth. Be sure to include condition, color options, location in the country and exactly what you are looking for (ie trade/private sale/etc). Terry buys and sells thousands of cars a year around the country and can give you an exact value on your vehicle. Be sure and thank him 'cause he aint gettin' paid for his service and he is an incredibly valuable source for us here at Edmunds. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Terry did that for me when I got my used Outback last April.

Funny thing, he was $100 different from TMV :-)

Here's the link:

Real-World Trade-In Values

Dardson, can you take a minute and send in a Feedback Form? Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • ianshawianshaw Member Posts: 119
    I just sold my 02 LT Tahoe with 15k miles and in perfect condition. KBB, NADA, and Black Book (as stated on Cars.com) all indicated it was worth approximately $30,500. I advertised the hell out of the thing and waited almost two months for a buyer. I ended up selling for 29k (which according to Terry on the Real-World Trade-In thread was a very good price for me). So, my experience is that you are going to have to go several thousand below the KBB, NADA and black book figures. Interestingly, Edmunds.com had the closest estimate of what the truck was actually worth.

Of course, you are considering a trade-in, rather than a private sale. So, I don't know if my experience is worth much.
    Well LS Trailblazer trade value was $14000 at the dealership. We trade for a LS Tahoe. My wife is happy. The equipment is a 5300cc engine,sunroof, 6cd player, 17" wheels, climate control. No leather which was okay I like the cloth in the trailblazer. Price was MSRP $40570 GM supplier price $35726 plus tax and fees. Adding the 2.9 apr.and the bonus cash which was $1500 it was not bad deal. I left there not feeling like we got beat. I know the trade in was low but we did not give it away.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Don't fret too much about the side airbags not being on the LS. They are optional on the LT also.
    Sorry I was late getting back. Been outta town. My LS options......LS prefered equip. pkg (which included bucket seats, bose, and the 5.3 engine), 3rd row seats (which I took out immediately, wrapped in plastic and stored), 6 disk changer, cargo pkg, tow pkg, and driver's steering wheel controls. Listed for $38390.
       For reasons I don't understand (but good for me), Texas has a $3500 rebate, freight is $35 less, and the LS Pref.Equip.Pkg. list for $1735 instead of $1835 (per Edmunds).
    I'm not sure what the Feedback Form is. I clicked on the link which took me to an email form asking for my question. Please explain. Happy to do whatever. Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The feedback form is intended, among other things, for edmunds.com users to alert our editors to possible discrepancies, shortcomings or inaccuracies in our posted prices and for users to seek clarification on how prices are arrived at. You had raised a question earlier about pricing and Steve suggested a course of action which I also recommend. Our editors fully appreciate the feedback!

tidester, host
  • roughlyrightroughlyright Member Posts: 5
    Large dealership in Houston TX I-45

MSRP $37350.00
    Dealer add on $3695.00 ( absolutely worthless)

After addendum sticker 41045.00

Paid $27350.00 5 hours of negotiating (another 3 to complete the deal)maybe I wasn't clear enough when I told him what I would pay the first time.

Plus $300 B.S. no body could even explain it fee, $65 TAG, $33 Title, $25 inspection, $50 Doc fee, $79 dealer inventory Tax

Total = $27842

I'm content with the price but all the haggling took the fun out of buying a new car.

Hope this helps for reference.
    RR
    I know the GMS price was $3350 on my LS Tahoe with a MSRP 41000 and my supplier price was 4% higher than that. But you paid even less than employee price. If you purchase for $27842 this mean you paid $24000? before taxes that a unheard of price. Congratulations
  • roughlyrightroughlyright Member Posts: 5
    I gave them the rebate so it was actually MSRP $37350, my price $30,850-$3500 rebate = $27,350+ their doc fees of $350.00. So all in all I guess I got $9650 discount.

I didn't include the $3695.00 they added to the MSRP for the security/appearance package,which consisted of pinstriping, a kill switch, and some sort of theft guarantee of $2500, because it was B.S. I could have done all that for a few hundred. So essentially I didn't pay for the add-on.

I'm not sure if $9650.00 off MSRP, including rebate, is all that good but it was the best I could do. I feel like I went about it the wrong way, instead of dealing with GM buypower, because you can get Tahoes and Yukons in Houston for about 10k off sticker, including rebate, all day here if you're persistent.

RR

My LS consists of
    34,200.00 Base price
     1,735.00 LS preferred
              -Front Buckets
              -Rear Audio Controls
              -Bose
       350.00 Side impact Airbags
       250.00 Liftgate/Liftglass
       815.00 Destination
    37,350.00 Total MSRP
  • agouram5agouram5 Member Posts: 1
    checked the web and followed GM Pricing to get a
    quote on an inventory Tahoe at a valley dealer...
    after seeing the $9500 discount on the board here, told the internet sales guy he had to do better that... Valencia internet manager promised
    $11,000 off MSRP and they were advertising at that # for the weekend!
    bought an LS with LS interior and 17" wheels, so walked out with new truck for less than ebayers want for 2 years old w/20K+ miles... very happy wife who likes the drive and handling and visability better than the '03 Expedition! Full warranty period makes me happy!
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Congrats on the purchase and welcome aboard.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • kpyeattkpyeatt Member Posts: 1
    the gm website says rebates on 'o4 tahoes are 3000, but everyone posting here says they got 3500 in cash back. so what is it? also looking for "roughlyright" poster who bought in Houston back in Jan. What dealer did you buy from? Did you talk to Lawrence Marshall in Hempstead?
  • amilbyamilby Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Yukon last Saturday (V-day present for wife). I was able to brow-beat them into a low price (lower than invoice) on a loaded SLT (heated seats, leather, 2nd row captains chairs, XM, OnStar, 6 disk in dash, etc, etc) Only thing we didn't get was sunroof. We got it for around 32k plus 0% financing for 60 mo. We caught the dealership as they were moving locations, so they were more willing to unload cars quickly so they didn't have the expense of moving them across town. Plus, it was a snow day here in Dallas, so the dealership was very slow - they were happy to make ANY sale.
    I bought Jan. 10. Rebate was $3000 but there was an additional $500 (forgot what they called it). Anyway, they lump it together to = $3500
  • mattrigmattrig Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased an '04 Tahoe for what I feel was a good price. The features we wanted were not in any Tahoe on the lot so they had to locate one for us in Pa. As we went to pick up the veichle the dealer said it had 600 miles on it when it really had 699 miles. Now if they picked up the vechile in PA there is no point in PA 600 miles from us. What should we have done? We feel like we were taken advantage of. Any comments would be appreciated.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Your Tahoe may have been dealer traded before it was traded to your dealer. It may have started in Ohio, traded to Pennsylvania, then traded to your town. At any rate, warranty starts at delivery date and delivery mileage. You could go to your dealer and ask for a 'GM VIS' report. It will show actual warranty numbers, when it starts and when it expires. If the salesman is confused, ask a service department person. You will need to have your vehicle identification number handy. If they have high-speed online access, it should take about 2 minutes.
    I'm a bit confused--are you concerned that the Tahoe in question had at least 600 miles on the odometer, period...or that it had 99 more miles (699) than what the dealer originally stated?

In any case, as mitzij pointed out, the warranty coverage as far as miles are concerned begin at whatever the odometer reads at time of delivery...in this case, 699. Now, if you're a bit miffed that the Tahoe in question now has 99 more miles on it than you would have liked (or, accepted?), 99 miles of "who-knows-how-the-vehicle-was-driven-during-that-time?" It's your call (assuming you hadn't already signed all the paperwork), but personally I wouldn't take it unless the dealer is willing to give you a fair discount for the "excessive" mileage--which one would hope he's already doing to account for the 600 miles on it already, let alone another 99 miles on top of that. I know that many a potential buyer would just walk away from it, period...I mean, it isn't unreasonable for one to expect very few miles on the odometer of a brand-new vehicle, no? Or put it another way--should one be expected to pay a new-car price on a new vehicle that has been used as a demo/test-drive vehicle? I would hope not...
    The dealership where I bought my DXL didn't have the exact model I was looking for, so they had to do a vehicle swap with another dealership 35 miles away. Since I wanted to buy it that very day (income tax reasons and other time constraints prevented me from waiting a few more days) and they couldn't arrange for a vehicle carrier to deliver the vehicle, they had to send a guy to go fetch and drive it back. Although doing so meant that there would be almost 40 miles on the clock at time of delivery (I'm a bit anal when it comes to how many miles should be on a new vehicle at time of delivery since I don't really like buying new vehicles that have been used for test drives and such), it turned out not to be as bad since the dealer permitted me to drive it back to his dealership so that I wouldn't be concerned about someone else putting the miles on my soon-to-be vehicle and/or wrecking it; note that the dealer allowing me to do this was a bit of a risk on his part since I hadn't signed the paperwork at that point.

Anyways, just wanted to add a little more to the high-miles issue...
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    the new car warranty just got extended out 700 miles (assuming the buyer goes thru the registration suggestion posted above). To have an additonal (lets assume that the buyer didn't take delivery with some obvious warranty problems) 700 miles of free warranty is certainly a partial off set to the mileage.
  • ishawishaw Member Posts: 8
    My dealerships have always allowed me to go pick up my dealer trade so that no one else would be driving the truck. Since I have always had to go to Denver to pick up my new truck, I use the 100 mile trip home to begin my break-in process for the vehicle.

I realize that my position is a little over the top, but I won't accept a "new" vehicle with more than 50 miles on it (and both my Tahoes have been delivered to me with less than 20 miles on them). I'll bet the hardest miles a vehicle ever sees is when it is being test driven. Can't you just hear the sales person in the back seat: "Put the pedal down sir . . this truck really has great power . . . ." Or, as one sales person suggested to me recently, "hit the brakes, you'll be impressed with the anti-lock." Or, as yet another sales person told me while test driving a sport car with only 60 miles on the odometer, "bring it up to red line . . . that's where it really starts to perform." Imagine what a great deal the person who bought that car got after it had been on 10-15 similar test drives!!

I realize some of you sales people out there would never suggest a customer abuse a vehicle while on a test drive. But, in my admittedly limited experience, it happens regularly. Perhaps the sales people just don't like my granny driving style.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is hoping to interview a recent car-buyer who participated in
    an overnight or 24-hour test drive and then purchased the vehicle.
    Please respond to 248-890-8582, farataye@yahoo.com or
    jfallon@edmunds.com by 5pm Eastern Wednesday, March 24, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • mjmboardwalkmjmboardwalk Member Posts: 7
    I am looking for a 2004 Tahoe LT ( also considering a Sequoia ) is the norm to pay invoice? Or are their any success stories out there to be shared? I amlooking for the LT to have the Sun, Sound and Ent pkg as well
  • ahurst1ahurst1 Member Posts: 11
    I have a local dealer telling me the rebate-incentive is now $5,000 on Yukons. I know about the $3,000 + $1,000 cust. rebate and a $500 cash deal on DVD option, but what am I missing?

Thanks
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Well, he's wrong and you're right. Yukon's have a $3,000 rebate plus the $1,000 bonus. Yukon XL's have a $4,000 rebate plus the $1,000 bonus. He must have just gotten the XL confused with the regular length model.
  • moresweetie1moresweetie1 Member Posts: 3
    My husband an I are looking at different SUV's. We have been repeatedly brought to the Tahoe by family and friends (some in the car repair business).

We are getting many quotes from dealers throughout south-central Texas. We were wanting to buy within the next 2 months, but dealers keep saying that their current incentives and rebates last until June 1st. What are the chances that we will get a worse or better incentive/rebate during the next month?????
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I'm wondering the same thing myself! We're trying to get a new Yukon XL right now, but it wasn't built until earlier this month and the shipping is delayed, apparently until the first couple days of June. Would have it right now if it would just arrive at the dealer!

Still wouldn't be a problem if we knew what the June incentives might be, but I'm guessing that they'll stay pretty much the same. Overall, though, your guess is as good as mine!
  • ahurst1ahurst1 Member Posts: 11
    My guess is if gas prices stay high, GM will continue the incentives - if they do not move the SUV's, they have to shut down factories because of excess inventories.
This discussion has been closed.