Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    oldntired1950oldntired1950 Member Posts: 151
    Nothing is ever etched in stone. I got a GM buypower price and then presented the dealer with the online coupon from their website and saved another $300. Why not try getting buypower quotes from several area dealerships?
  • Options
    mtrushmtrush Member Posts: 9
    The owner loyalty rebate on Malibu has apparently been raised to $4000 from $3000 last week. Based on past patterns, what is the likelihood it will be raised again ? Also, GM says the offer is good thru Aug 2. Could they still rescind the offer before then ?
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    no. I just came from the dealer yesterday, who, thanks to my buying service, opens up all the books and lets me know what is what. He said that once GM raises the rebate, it won't go lower than that; instead, it may head even higher. My dealer is flooded with inventory since apparently, GM does not allow their dealers to control their own inventory. As a result, there are a lot of '04s out there that need to be moved before the '05s go into production. I may not wait any longer, but if you can, and don't mind a smaller pool of cars to choose from, I would bet the rebate goes one step higher.
  • Options
    While looking thru car ads in the paper, I noticed almost all of them mention in the fine print that they charge a "dealer fee" of between $300 and $400. Is this legitimate ? If I plan on paying the TMV for a new car, should I subtract from it the amount of this "dealer fee" ?
  • Options
    to me, dealer fee means paper processing and advertising. Some dealers are charging up to $299 in my area for paper processing alone. Remember: negotiate a price....a final price, and let them know it won't be higher once you enter the finance officer's woodshed.
  • Options
    mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    I haven't actually bought a Maxx yet even though I'd like to because with my financial situation its a little dicey, but I did negotiate last week to find out exactly what I'd need to pay. I stopped negotiating at around $300 under invoice, + the $4k rebate and another $1k from a GM Card. The dealer I got the best price from had a $289 doc fee, I told them that it was excessive and that I'd only pay $99, and it was done. They changed their offer to $500 under invoice in order to reduce the doc fee. Don't be afraid to flat out refuse to pay it, above $70 or so its all padded profit and can be negotiated.

By the way, a few hours later another dealer called and when told of my current best offer expressed confidence they could beat it by at least a few hundred. Until I'm ready to actually do it, I'm not going to get into it with them but I think I can probably get as low as 700 or 800 under invoice.
  • Options
    OK, here we go. Since I was not able to use the Supplier's Discount and combine it with the $4,500 cash back ($1k conquest rebate for owning a Mazda, $1k for owning a Vibe, and $2.5k consumer cash back) GM was offering me, I decided to use my buying service and use the $4k check GM sent me as a loyalty bonus:

Maxx LS with 1SB package and Sunroof:

$22,499 Buying Service Price
    + 674.97 State Tax
    + 45.00 Dealer's Business License Tax
    + 19.00 License Plate transfer fee
    =23,237.97
    - 4,000.00 Loyalty bonus from GM
    --------------------------------------------
    =19,237.97

I think this was an amazing price considering it is over $1k less than what I bought my Vibe for 2.5 years ago.
  • Options
    Glad you finally made the plunge and joined us. Hope you have miles and miles of smiles!
  • Options
    How do you like it so far? What color?

Looks like you paid $624 over invoice, for whatever that's worth.
  • Options
    $624 over factory invoice?
    It is the Medium Grey Metallic, since:

1. I think GM missed the mark in styling this car to begin with, I went with what I think is the most luxurious of the colors (especially with the sparkles in the paint
    2. GM decided to put the black cladding on the bottom runners on the LS and not color code the mirrors. I think the medium grey looks nice with the black trim and the dark sunroof glass on top
    3. it cuts down on glare off the hood.

Until this thing breaks down, I will continue to contend that this car SCREAMS value. When I took it to my mechanic (a long time GM owner), he laughed at the price I paid, stating that it was awfully low for all the things that come on it.

Now, I just need to find a hungry finance manager who wants to sell me a GMPP at a much reduced rate from what they publish in their books. Anybody know one that wants to make me an offer???
  • Options
    This is my one bone of contention with the entire purchase transaction - when I got in to see the finance/after market guy he was adamant that the price for the 84/84 extended warranty was $2,300. He would not budge! They ended up taking an additional $300 off the car (plus the savings on the tax for the $300) as a compromise. I know I paid too much for the warranty, but the dealer is right across the street from my office, so service is very convenient. I now know that I could have bought the contract (and for that matter, the car) at another GM dealer and still utilized the service department so convenient to me, but at the time I had that "new car jones" that made me sign on the dotted line. I'm not sorry - I've been enjoying the Maxx for the last 4 months and it has been pure joy!
  • Options
    that is too bad oldntired. I plan on making these guys work for my business over the next 12 months. Otherwise, my backup position is for me to be my own warranty company and put my invested money into repairs when needed.
  • Options
    I certainly agree that the Maxx represents at tremendous value. Base LS Maxx's are going in the mid 15's with the GM 4k. What can you buy for that these days? A Civic? Please. You probably can't even get into an Elantra GT for that kind of money. Its a steal, but I've seen a grand total of ONE Maxx on the road so far this month, and I commute from VA to DC every day so I see a lot of cars, many of the new. 1! They just aren't selling. Incidentally, anybody know where to find sales figures? I'd be curious to see exactly how bad they are...

How much would a 6/72 warranty cost? If we buy, we're we'd like to be in a warranty at least for the 60 months we're paying on the car!

My general sense is that this is around $1500, but you can add at any point during the first 3 years right?
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    shop around for the options....the warranty begins from the date of sale and you can add anytime during the 3/36 however it gets more expensive after the 1/12K....here is a quote I reachly got from at GM Dealer in IOWA.....remember its the GMPP accepted at any GM dealer....I too am in Northern VA...maybe its my burgandy maxx you have seen running up and down I-95!!

60 months/100,000 miles

$0 ded. $1570.00
    $100 ded. $1285.00
    $200 ded. $1070.00

72 months/90,000 miles

$0 ded. $1650.00
    $100 ded. $1350.00
    $200 ded. $1120.00
  • Options
    pao: that is exactly $30 lower than Black Pontiac in PA. Would you mind sharing the dealer name? Thanks.
  • Options
    jess33jess33 Member Posts: 13
    I'm happy with how my numbers worked out for this loaded up beauty.

Sticker-26,925.00
    GM Owner Loyalty-4,000
    GM Card- 750
    GM Coupon-Given after fighting with GM reps. re:02 RDV, they gave me "trade assistance" 2,800.

The car is metallic red, I wanted the white, the dealer had this car in the showroom and said if I would buy this model rather than a swap, they would sell for a couple hundred over invoice.

The bottom line- 19,598.65 with a 3.85 interest rate, awesome! I am buying in Mass. with A++ credit, gotta love the interest rate. This car has every option except XM, On-star, engine heater. Considering I was "upside down" in RDV I am very pleased. My payment is actually less than the RDV with many less options. Also purchasing a GM PP at cost,(family member is GM employee) 6 yrs, 100,000 mile warranty bump/bump $0 deductible, this is a no-brainer for a first year GM car, I've learned my lesson with the RDV. Without the warranty I wouldn't even consider this car. Can't wait to drive it off the lot today with only 9 miles on the odometer and load up a DVD for the kids, wireless headphones, I'm in heaven.
  • Options
    jess: what's the "at cost" price for the 6/100k GMPP? Inquiring minds need to save money!! Thanks.
  • Options
    kennethkenneth Member Posts: 13
    Jess,

If you don't mind me asking: you state in your message that you have a family member who is a GM employee. So, this would make you eligible for GMS pricing on the MAXX. You used the $4K GM Owner Loyalty cash back. Was that a better deal than GMS pricing + the current $2K cash back + current $1K Bonus Cash Offer?
  • Options
    I mistyped it is a 60 mo/100,000 $0 ded GM PP. I paid
    1835.00. Well worth it given my experience with the 02 RDV.
    I'm not sure what the regular price would be, this is probably a few hundred less, I didn't ask, the numbers made sense so I went with it.
    Also included the first 6 oil changes free. And for an extra hundred
    you can buy insurance that will pay back the cost of the warranty if you
    don't use it, I think they are pretty sure you'll use it!! I do love this car, never had such luxury!
  • Options
    The GMS probably would have been better, but the family member
    doesn't live in the household with me and from what we've been told they are sticklers on that point. The dealership was good to work with considering I was about 2K upside down in the RDV. With no trade, the 19,500 price seemed to be a fair deal for the loaded up LT model. For those with other GM models, call them , call them, call them, while under warranty with your problems. They agreed to trade assistance for me, that helped me get out of a horror show (02 RDV)and into the MAXX. (just a little editorial comment)
  • Options
    I sent out email inquiries to several dealers that I had checked out on the BBB and various other websites (to make sure they don't have a bad record) to get a quote on a Malibu LS. I received 2 back within days. The lowest quote from a dealer in Fort Pierce, FL was $200 over invoice (after dealer's fee). The other from St Cloud was $100 higher.
    I went to the lowest bidder and found a family-run place with no high pressure salesmen or games played. They also offered me a very reasonable price on the trade-in. It was a much better experience than I had when I bought my first car seven years ago.
  • Options
    Tonight my fiance and I are the proud owners of a new Maxx LS 1SB in Navy Blue Metallic. LSB adds rear audio, remote start, head curtain airbags, power seat and floormats.

We had a great internet buying experience from Anderson Chevrolet in Baltimore.

MSRP was 23150. Dealer gave us the car for invoice MINUS the entire holdback, so it ended up being $675 under invoice. Plus, we got the $4000 Loyalty Rebate and I had $912 in GM Card Credit, for a total Price (there was NO doc fee since I don't live in Maryland) of $16085, + VA tax of around $600. Car also has a tan accent stripe at no charge.

Overall, I think we got an outstanding deal on a great car. We shopped hard for that deal and for that car--it was the only blue one optioned exactly that way in VA and Maryland. The dealer was great though, gave us his best deal right up front, and all we had to do was sign and drive, the car was ready for us when we got up there today and everything was very easy.

I think the Maxx is an outstanding car and runs circles around the competition at that price point. I feel like its the best kept secret out there right now, the back seat room is incredible. I know it doesn't have the reputation of Camcords but I feel confident in the build quality and the platform of this car. Frankly, it has WAY more features than those cars for thousands less.

I've been fairly active in the Intrigue forum (that's my daily driver) so I want to be active in the Malibu/Maxx forums too. It will be my fiance's daily driver, but we'll be parking the Intrigue and using the Maxx for all our weekend trips.
  • Options
    That sounds like the best price I've ever heard of for a Maxx. I've had my navy blue metalic Maxx LT since January. List price of $27,945 and I thought my price of $24K was good, but you put me to shame! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
  • Options
    So far we love! Spent all day driving around, just amazed by what a great car it is, how well it handles, quietness, refinement, etc. I'm getting used to the steering and I like it.

You must have quite a Maxx...LT with every option I presume! I really love the blue color, it looks very classy. I think we did get a great price, I don't think I could have really beaten it but I did a lot of online shopping and phone calls to get there. Considering the car was brand new in January and there were not the rebates there are now, I can see why you are pleased with your deal too though. All you can hope for is the best deal you can get at the time, and now you've had it for 7 months.

I should add that the Maxx will be replacing a 2000 Olds Alero GLS Coupe that my fiance had. We had an amazing number of problems with it--it was a total disaster despite its ultra low 20,800 miles. One thing after another, including a $1800 steering system, all of which was outside warranty. Car was creaking and moaning, engine sounded bad..yuck. We sold it to a major preowned dealer for above Blue Book value though and put the cash towards the new one!
  • Options
    bxmill28bxmill28 Member Posts: 2
    Bought a Maxx LS base (with mats) last week in Northern VA. Total purchase price (inc. freight, all fees, and taxes) was $21,505. Minus $2500 consumer rebate, $1000 conquest cash, and $1500 GM Card earnings, made the delivery price $16,500. I thought the The dealer's (Country Chevrolet) initial offer was very good; I needed to move it only a few hundred dollars to get the price I wanted. Got good trade value for my 130,000+ mile 1996 Neon, too!
  • Options
    Nice to see another Maxx is NoVA. My fiance and I live in Alexandria.

How did you get $1500 in GM card money? The max allowed to redeem on the Malibu/Maxx is $1000...

http://www.gmcard.com/GMCard/GMCardServletProcessRunner?GMCardBan- dingDisplay

Perhaps the conquest was 1500?
  • Options
    bxmill28bxmill28 Member Posts: 2
    GM changed the program several years ago. Originally, the program had earnings limitations, then it was changed to redemption limitations. When the changeover was made, GM strongly encouraged current members to change as well. At that time I opted to stay with the earnings limitations so I would not later be subject to redemption limitations.
  • Options
    Very wise of you! I was surprised the earning limitations were so low on all the midsize's (even the Alero is $1000 right now), not that it mattered much for me since I only had $912 anyway...
  • Options
    fanofgmfanofgm Member Posts: 12
    so i thought i'd share my "buying experience" with all of you. Last week my wife and I bought a 04 Malibu LT. Silver Green with the neutral leather. LOADED 1SB package plus XM and Onstar, meaning all the options except for the 6-disk. Stickered for $25820.00 Got $4000 owner loyalty and $5,200 trade in. Meaning we're down to $16620.00 I said "17K out the door" And they took it! Gota 48 month loan with GMAC (like usual) with 4.9% and kept the payments under $400 a month! I was happy. When buying a chevy (always except for my last truck) i get my cars from the same dealership and from the same salesman. They have been very good to me, and they better considering the business i give them. I'm in charge of a fleet (20 or so) at my work. I thought it was a good deal, tell me if i'm right or am i just kidding myself?
  • Options
    islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    Just took delivery of my Maxx LT silver grey.Loaded except for Onstar and 6 CD player. Out the door for 19,578. $4000 rebates plus $1584 in GM Card Earnings. Wife drives a 2002 Buick RDV that contrary to some is just a great vehicle. The Maxx is in a different class, and I can tell you after 27 miles, I love this car. Just came back from buying some Patio furniture and almost took the RDV for the huge cargo area. Did not need it. The Maxx handled it nicely. Trying to figure out how to set the security options for when the doors are locked. The RDV has a flashing red light on the dash. Do not see this on the Maxx, although the book mentions a light. Never liked reading the handbooks, takes a long time to sink in :-) Anyone have some suggestions. Once again, I love everything about this vehicle. The V6 is awesome. Step on the accelerator and you are off :-)
  • Options
    beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    RDV ???????????
  • Options
    occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    RDV appears to be shorthand for a Buick Rendevous (crossover sport utility based on the Pontiac Aztek)
  • Options
    islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    Sorry beer47 and thanks occupant1. Was so use to using the abbrev.RDV for Buick Rendezvous from their board for the last three years it was habit:-). Let's just talk Maxx from now on, great car:-)
  • Options
    eddiepieeddiepie Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a '04 Malibu LS 1SA. After a lot of research, especially on this site, and comparing the Malibu to the Camry and Accord, the Malibu seemed to be the best deal as well as the best car for the money. I got the car for $15,995. My wife has the '03 Malibu, but the new one is a big upgrade and I thought it compared favorably to the Camry and Accord.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is working on a story about current model year cars and summer sellathons and would like to interview someone who thinks they've figured out when is the best time to buy a current model-year car - late summer? Early fall? She's looking for someone who's shopping for a good deal right now but recent shoppers may also respond.
    Please write to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Monday, July 12, 2004 with your daytime contact info and thoughts on the subject.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    robs_placerobs_place Member Posts: 24
    I'm almost certain that I'll be buying a Maxx LT within the next 3-4 months.

The $4,000 GM loyalty rebate will expire on 8/2.

Should I jump at this opportunity or do you think that the $4,000 rebate will be available for the 2005 models.

Also, are there going to be any changes in the 2005 model that makes it worthwhile waiting?

Regards,

Rob
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    The only things I know of for 2005 Maxx are: optional rear spoiler and rear wiper, side airbag option adds thorax airbags in front seats to go along with the roof rail airbags and a new exterior color.
  • Options
    As for the Rebate, I doubt very much it will extended at $4k for 2005. Perhaps later in the model year, but not in the next 3-4 months.

I'm sure there will probably be some rebates (when are they not), I can't imagine they would be as good. Plus, you're more likely to get a better discount from the dealer on an '04.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, mfletouva.
    I'm going for the 2004's.
    Why take the chance, after all $4,000 is ...well $4,000.
    I'll take what I can as my negotiating skill is probably nowhere near as good as yours, $675 below invoice? I tip my hat to you.

Regards,

Rob
  • Options
    Good! I hope you do well. Do you know when you want to start shopping?

Email me at MFLetou@aol.com , I have an idea that might help you...
  • Options
    Couln't pass up $4000.

In a nutshell:
    Stopped by the dealership after work on Friday and picked up the car the next Day.
    The car: Medium gray, 2004 Maxx LT, 1SB, OnStar, XM radio, DVD, CD changer.
    Agreed on $25,800 ($226 over invoice), minus $4000 rebate, minus $2600 GMCard Points. Total out of door $19,200.

Details:
    Were looking for a car for the Mrs. as her 1995 Ford Contour needed a steering column replacement, a $1000 job for a $2,500 car, ended up donating the car.
    On our way back from work stopped by 2 dealerships. I got inmediately turned off by the first dealership, wanted to take a shower after talking to these people!

Went down another 15 miles to the 2nd dealership, spent the rest of the evening on selection and negotiations and closed the deal.
    Returned the next day spent another 3 hrs finishing up paper work and the obligatory sales pitch for all the other dealership products. We purchased the 5yrs extended warranty for $1000, I resisted somewhat to this but the Mrs. felt that we needed it (Her Ford was very problematic but she got the extended warranty, and now she swears by it.) I basically agreed because of all the electronics and being a first yr. model. I would appreciate any comments on extended warranties.

The only issue I have so far, is the positioning of the XM antenna, it's in the front and offset to the passenger side, to me it looks kinda dorky. I alway liked the look of XM antennas on the back of car esp. on BMW's and Audi's. The antenna is also next the OnStar antenna, somehow it gives it a rental car look.

Had total dealership burnout when I got home so didn't even look at the car until 3 days later, will be commenting on the car in the owners forum at a later date.

Regards,

Rob
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Thx for the recap of your purchase experience. Sounds like you got a pretty loaded vehicle :). Make sure you check out the remote start feature - with the model you own it will put the Auto HVAC system into a special mode no matter what you left setting at in order to cool or heat vehicle (depending on interior temperature).

Yes, a vehicle getting both OnStar and XM have to deal with getting both of these antenna. I am pretty sure in a couple years they will start getting antennas with more of these functions integrated. I am not sure why Malibu chose to have these side-by-side initially. I think the new Pontiac G6 gets the XM on rear of roof like you mentioned you have seen on other vehicles.
  • Options
    agree the positioning of the antenna are odd..but if you look at most of the GM fleet with these two options...the antennas are mounted forward on the roof line regardless of the model. I have noticed the same configuration on all the Chevrolets and GMC vehicles that have both features...shorter distance to run wiring? I personnaly would have liked to have seen them both mounted behind the sunroof near the hatch..on the Maxx.
  • Options
    joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    2004 Malibu LS, 1SB,power seat,side air bags,remote start, OnStar, 6 disc cd changer,spoiler.
    MSRP $23,365 I paid $17,000.
    I needed a car now, mine was totaled so this came at the right time.
  • Options
    crhcrh Member Posts: 29
    I've just begun shopping for a third family car as we have a new driver with the addition of our oldest child. From what I've seen and read, the Maxx seems like a great option for us. I've also looked at the Rav4 and the Vibe. Basically, we have 5 kids, two in high school who will be making the 25 minute drive together each day. The ride is either on an interstate or winding back roads, so safety is key in our final selection. Husband considers a new car for a new driver out of the question, but it sounds as though we could get a new Maxx for under $19k. Other than the curtain airbags, I'm not concerned with lots of options. We live in Northern Virginia, and I've not really looked into dealerships yet. Any words of advice or wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    crhcrh Member Posts: 29
    My father in law has $3000 GM credit, but we understand that the Malibu Maxx only allows $1000 of that. I'm a novice at new car purchasing. Do you know if we can use that in addition to the $4K cash back they are currently offering? We are in Nothern Virginia, where there seems to be a wealth of Malibu Maxxs from which to choose, both 04s and 05s.
  • Options
    joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    I was offered a MAXX for $17200 and they only come in LS or LT trim, a good deal. I live in the NE not sure what the deal is in Virginia.
  • Options
    17.2 for an LT Maxx seems like a very good deal did it have the 1SA or 1SB package..the later adds the sunroof...any other options on the car?....if that is drive it off the lot price....I would consider that a good deal
    comments others?

Im in northern va
  • Options
    Im in northern va as well..made my Maxx purchase at Mike Pallone Chevy in Springfield......was a straight forward deal....I got mine back in Mar...LT trim with 1SB package...with all options except multi disk cd player and engine heater block....MSRP was almost 28K, drove it off the lot for 18.5 with 4500 trade in...you can certainly get a basic Maxx for 17-19 depending on the dealel, especially with the end of year models...I didnt negotiate...went in with my price..what I wanted for my trade and the dealer incentives..told them that was my offer..and walked out with my car that afternoon......I think most owners are quite pleased with the Maxx's to date abeit some minor problems...I often carry four adults comfortably in mine..no kids....so as a primary family car of 5...it might be tight...if all never ride at one time....I think would be a great car and would recommend it...pls ask questions of other members here as well...we are a friendly bunch....there are two other members on the board that are from NOVA as well....
  • Options
    looking at the chevy website...it states the 4k GM loyalty cash back cannot be combined with any other offers..the 4k back or low percentage rate doesnt show that same restriction so I would assume you could combine it for a 5k reduction....suggest you go in with the entire 3k GM card and the 4k dealer incentive and let the dealer tell you cant use..who knows..they might except it all...the 4K applies to 04 models only. Good luck!