Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• galevergalever Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2010
    Rav4x4 limited 4 cylinder
    Extra val package 1480.00
    floor mats 199
    Mudguard 99
    Wheel Locks 81
    Destination fee 800

-814 savings
    so adjusted price is now 27900

The weird thing is he gave me a sheet with the retail base price and dealer price. The math does not add up.....especially since on the receipt he has TDA 429, Gas 10.3, dealer holdback 521 and whsl Financial Reserve at 260.

The Final total with Tax, tags, and document/tire fee comes to $29869.75.

It just seems high to me, but it's been awhile since I purchased a car.

Any help is appreciated.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    That price is way too high, you should be targeting somewhere between $26,181 and $26,847.
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    galever....Assuming you are talking FWD and not 4WD, the sticker price is $27,324. The invoice should be $25,962. Both these numbers could be a hundred or so higher or lower depending on the area of the country. The regional ad fee varies from one region to another. I would first agree to some amount relative to the invoice price, e.g., $100 over invoice. If the dealer goes for that (25,962 + 100 = 26,062), then subtract any rebates. We have no rebates now in my area, only the 0% 5 year financing. Add in the tax, tags, fees and that should be your offer. Just be careful they don't rip you on the fees. Zero percent financing is the same as a huge rebate so take it if you can. If you can't take advantgage of the financing because of a credit problem, I would just wait a month or two until they start offering a rebate again. Last month there was a $500 rebate and it should only get bigger as the year progresses. Here is a website where you can check out these numbers.
    http://www.truecar.com/Toyota/RAV4/2010/best-price-report-0DA7C769.html?colorInf- o=Classic Silver Metallic,Ash,6088_001_1F7.jpg&optionInfo=6381543,-6381534,-6381542,6327962,63279- 30,6327932,-6381548,-6381530,-6381547,6498174,6544021,6544026,6327957&incentiveI- ds=0&trimId=316674&modelId=19457&zipcode=97701
  • galevergalever Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2010
    Sorry i should have said it's a 4WD.

I checked out that website thanks for the info!
    Ok, the MSRP would be $1390 more for the 4WD. Just go to that website I mentioned and build it yourself.
  • super_exitonsuper_exiton Member Posts: 14
    for the graduate discount, what proof should i bring to the dealer? my diploma?
    College Bonus Cash offer is available to customers who have graduated from an accredited 4-yr college, university, or registered nursing program (or will graduate within the next 6 months), graduated from an accredited 2-yr college, or currently enrolled/have graduated from graduate program. Graduation must be within the last 2 years. See your dealer for details.
  • cyrusdcyrusd Member Posts: 25
    A diploma is enough. If you've not received your diploma yet, some dealers still accept the official congratulations letter from your college saying something like "the final audit was completed and your diploma is on the way."
    Thanks! I will bring a copy of my diploma.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 9
    MSRP: 24,383
    OTD: 21,300 (includes 1000 dollar graduate rebate).
    February pricing - 2.9% :cry:
    That sounds like a great price. Where is the dealer located?
  • stperic66stperic66 Member Posts: 4
    Here is my recent deal in MA:

Base 4WD
    Options: Mud guard, Value Package & Phone bluetooth

Price$21,500
    less $1,000 (Graduate program)

Total $20,500
  • dieuwerdieuwer Member Posts: 8
    mud guard, Bluetooth? Never heard of these options for the base model
  • dturrdturr Member Posts: 70
    There is a saying that is common in Europe.

Toyota as a corporation is acting like a common criminal, they only admit to 20% of the truth.
    If you are thinking of making a purchase remember these words Let The Buyer Beware.
  • legalmanlegalman Member Posts: 6
    Toyota has been forced to hand a 'smoking gun' memo produced by its own factory workers to US investigators probing a spate of system faults.
    The two-page document, sent to president of the company Katsuaki Watanabe in 2006, warned of systematic threats to car safety.
    Damningly

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1257161/Toyota-smoking-gun-mem- o-staff-warned-safety-issues-FOUR-years-ago.html#ixzz0hsGpWQFW
    Toyota may have blown big time how they handled these problems but you have to give them a break. Historically, their cars have been the most reliable, and still are. They just don't have a lot of experience in dealing with manufacturing flaws. Besides, most of the problems are on the products made in North America. I recently bought a new RAV4 made in Japan and I expect many, many years of reliable transportation.
    evergreen, how to you tell if a Rav is built in Japan or US? Thanks.
  • puneecarpuneecar Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2010
    code sheet to your VIN number
    http://www.vehicleidentificationnumber.com/vin-decoder/toyota-car.html

there's a automatic decoder Iv found in the past just by entering in your VIN, not exactly this site, but similar
    http://www.decodethis.com/Decoder/YourOwnVINDecoder/tabid/76/Default.aspx

Im very glad that my dealer happen to get me a Japanese Build, hopefully that means Im exempt from these recent major issues. Leave it to the corporate americans to cut corners and F*q things up..

It's funny in an article i read about Japan's corporate heads recently visitng US to discuss the issues and after being badgered aggresively by US interrogaters referencing a defective Prius, the [non-permissible content removed] Representative snapped "These are NOT Japanese cars! that is an american car! The parts are american and it is built in america" .. not exact quote but pretty much to that effect.
    Thanks! This is very helpful. Also, does anyone know what the d& h fee includes? My dealer adds $499 as d&h fee to the final price. Not sure if this is common.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    In this case, it includes $499 extra profit for the dealer.... ;)

It's common everywhere they can get away with it...

On another note.. all Japanese assembled vehicle VINs start with a J!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited March 2010
    thanks. Should I apply for an autoloan in my bank before going to the dealer? I have 720+ credit score, but not sure if that is enough for getting the recent 0APR incentive. I also heard from ppl that the salesman will ask you to sign paperworks before you are handed to the finance dept. But since I am not sure if I will get the 0APR from toyota, can i insist on not signing anything before talking to the financing ppl. I am planning not to buy the car if I cant get the 0APR from toyota.

Sorry I am a newbee here. These questions might seem dumb.
    You always want a financing commitment from a lending institution before getting to the dealer's finance office.. Your local bank should have no trouble pre-qualifying you.

If he can beat your rate, that's great... but, how will you know if he is giving you competitive rate, if you haven't shopped, first?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

thanks. Can I still walk away if I dont get a low interest rate from the dealer?
    You can walk away, up until you take the keys and drive off the lot..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lokielokie Member Posts: 8
    $23,800 out the door, which includes TTL (tax here is like 9.5% and license is about $300-$400). So the price before all this is about $21,300. I don't qualify for the recent graduate rebate; but I would likely have to pay cash for this rather getting the 0% financing. This includes the extra value option and carpets. What do you guys think?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    but I would likely have to pay cash for this rather getting the 0% financing.

If they qualify you for 0% APR, why not take it? It is basically free money. Take the cash you would have paid for the vehicle and invest. Even the simple savings accounts pay 1.5-2.0% APR these days, get a CD and lock in something like 3-4% and let Toyota foot the interest on the vehicle. Try Wall St. and you can potentially make the $20,000 into $40,000 in 5 years that it would take you to pay off the RAV.
    but they are not offering me the 0% financing with that price. so that's why i would likely have to pay cash. any thoughts on the price for nor cal from people who recently bought or thinking about buying in the area? The vehicle, based on the VIN is made in Japan. thanks.
    Got one quote from dealer. OTD 26,450. V6 AWD, 3rd row seat bluetooth and mudguard and towing package with alloy wheel. this includes 7% tax and 500 d&h fees and 1000 graduate cash. with 0APR 5 years seems a good deal?
    edited March 2010
    btw, a quick question, does OTD price usually includes the registration fee and financing fees etc? Dealer told me that registration is something different, have to pay when I go to the DMV and get the tag. But I see many ppl mention OTD includes registration. thanks.
  • eryeerye Member Posts: 7
    As far as I understand, the OTD usually includes the registration fee as well, but it may depend on the area. I think your price looks very good. BTW, is it the base or limited trim?
    edited March 2010
    thanks. it turns out in CO dealers do not collect registration fee. you have to go to DMV yourself.

it is base trim. I added the EVP.
    edited March 2010
    just on 'paper', this looks like a great deal for you. on paper because you are probably in a different market from me...as other people posted here, in MD people seemed to have gotten much lower prices than here in California. If you are serious about buying, email at least 3 dealers in your area with the exact vehicle you want. then negotiate via phone and do a "confirmation" email with them on the price. then go pick up the car. i just did that...originally, i agreed on the base 4x4, black forest, 5 piece carpet and the base value package; msrp 24,194. then the guy email and said the black forest was gone and said a silver was available with blue tooth...sold me the silver (which was also made in japan) with blue tooth for the same price we agreed originally on the black forest...again, i had to pay cash and did not qualify for the new graduate rebate. price was 21,200 (including the 1000 rebate for not taking the 0% financing, this is before taxes,license, etc...). no one was able to beat this price in my area (for those with the car I want). so i know i got what i consider to be a fair price. good luck and would be happy to share what i know.
    Thanks for sharing the experience. Great car with great price! Enjoy it.
    Just bought a new RAV limited. This is the first brand new car I've ever purchased, and my state (MA) requires auto insurance before I can go pick it up.... My question is, what coverage level do people usually get for a car like this? I am currently having a liability-only coverage for my car because it's much cheaper this way, but I would like to get some extra protection for my new RAV.. It seems the premium may vary a lot based on the coverage I selected, and I also don't want to pay too much for something I will never need... What's the typical coverage/deducible that people use? Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    edited March 2010
    Are you getting an auto loan for this car? If so, the lender will tell you the bare minimum you MUST carry(no choice). Coverages above that amount are your option.Collision will be a mandatory besides the liability. It's a whole different league of costs compared to just basic liability.
  • fhs64fhs64 Member Posts: 4
    Am extremely depressed. Want to end it all. Have a million dollar life insurance policy. Gun to noisy, poison too painful. Have decided to "test drive" a Toyota (that way I don't have to actually buy the vehicle) then my estate can sue the dealership and Toyota as well as get the insurance money. Any dealership you'd like to give some comeuppance?
    Thanks for the info! What about the body/personal injury coverage? There are levels from 20/40 to 250/500.. which do people usually get for that one?
  • deechoodeechoo Member Posts: 1
    I visited a local dealership for a test drive and gathering of information on the various models and packages. I spent over a week researching online -- calculating invoice prices, visiting dealerships' websites, and obtaining quotes for the specific vehicles that I'm interested in. Some dealerships were eager to get your business, others were not. I emailed one dealership that I would go in and see the car if they drop the price to X amount, and when they did, I kept my word and went in. Not much negotiating took place with me basically saying, "I'm still on the fence with X price, but if you lower it to Y, it's a deal".

In the end, I paid $27,785 (selling price, not including tax, fees, and junk) for a 2010 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4WD V6 equipped with LA, SP, BD, QX, TO, RM, CF, and B3. Didn't qualify for the graduate discount, but I did take advantage of the 0% APR for 60 months. :shades:
  • stperic66stperic66 Member Posts: 4
    They are installed options. BLU Logic ~$300 and Mud guard ~$100.
  • abc747abc747 Member Posts: 4
    Prices in Seattle are always higher than national averages but got a black limited 4 cyl 4WD with mudguards and backup camera for 27239. 30072 OTD with 0% APR for 60 months. Magic Toyota in Edmonds, a painless buying experience. Woot!
  • huffyhuffy Member Posts: 10
    RAV4 Limited V6 2WD with Extra Value Pkg #1 + carpet mats + tow prep.

MSRP = $29,539 with sale price quote of $27,656.

In NC. Good deal or can I do better?
    Seems like a good price to me. You might check it with this website to see how it stacks up against other dealers in your area. http://amexnetwork.zag.com/main.html
  • huffyhuffy Member Posts: 10
    That website is awesome. Unfortunately, I'm not an AMEX cardholder - but I can become one real quick. The price quote on the website is about $1,000 less than the quote I got from the dealer.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Are the Toyota incentives tempting you? A reporter wants to know. Please respond to pr@edmunds.com with your thoughts no later than Tuesday, March 23, 2010.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ross77ross77 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys. I am new here and I am thankful in advance for your help. Below is the quote I got from a dealer - would you consider it a bad, Ok or good deal? How far lower can I push? Thank you!

2010 Toyota RAV4

Base V6 5-Speed Automatic 4dr 4x4

Manufacturer Code: 4433

MSRP: $27,118
    Dealer Invoice: $25,197
    Balise Toyota's Price: $24,897
    Your Final Price: $24,897*

CT Carpet Floor Mats (4-Piece Set) w/3rd Row
    MF Mudguards
    QW Base V6 EVP Package includes: Roof Rack w/Cross Bar Roof Rail, Daytime Running Lights, Privacy Glass
    TH Third Row 50/50 Split Seat
    TO Tow Prep Package

Special financing is available for all 2010 Toyota RAV4 purchasers who qualify with approved credit (available through 04/05/2010). 0% for 36 months, 0% for 48 months, 0% for 60 months.
  • lvmlvm Member Posts: 6
    I was disappointed that Toyota declined to offer me 0% financing. I bought my new vehicle in mid-February, which was after the acceleration issues made the news, but before they offered 0%. I feel they should have offered it to those who believed in the company enough to buy a new car in that time span.
  • sam1978sam1978 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2010
    Toyota Dealer in Boston, MA is offering:

RAV4 Base 4cyl 4WD Forest Black Pearl with Extra Value Package (17inch Wheels, Roof Rails, Privacy Glass etc); Tonneau Cover; Floor Mats

MSRP: 24,284 + 6.25% Tax
    Sticker: $22000 (approx)
    Residual: $16,000
    Money Factor: 0.00002 (0.48%)

Lease: They are offering sign and drive out the door for $0 (no fees, registration, title etc, first month payment etc) then $199/month (inc tax) for 35 Months. They are also throwing in first service @ 5000 miles

This includes $1000 college discount

I've done a lot of research and visited a number of dealers, but this seems like a no-brainer?

Anyone have any thoughts?
    As the great philanderer once said, "I feel your pain." Realistically, I can't imagine how any car manufacturer could make that kind of incentive retroactive. I have read that Toyota loses $4800 for every buyer who takes advantage of the 0% five year financing. Even with the recalls, Toyota still sells a lot of cars and a $4800 hit on every car they sold last month, the last two months, the last 6 months, etc., really adds up fast. You still have a great car with a good warranty and if you have any problems I am sure Toyota will take care of you. That is what you counted on when you bought your Toyota and nothing has changed. Enjoy your new car.
  • kelfkelf Member Posts: 83
    Can you get both the 0% financing and the discounted loss leader type of price? Have you ?
    edited March 2010
    Yes, they are separate issues. I bought my RAV4 a few weeks ago and followed this process.
    1. We agreed on a price for the RAV4 which was $1900 below MSRP. I live in a small town with only one Toyota dealer and I am sure I could have done better in some other areas of the country.
    2. I told them what I wanted for my trade in. They offered less but I held firm saying that I would sell it myself if they didn't want it at my price. They finally agreed with my price.
    3. Lastly, I told them that I wanted to take advantage of the 0% financing. At this point they can hardly refuse as it is something offered by Toyota and not the dealer.

If they try to use any rebate or financing program offered by Toyota to jack up the price, they are just screwing you.