Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ff811ff811 Member Posts: 12
    Meant to mention the trim package includes Bluetooth, alloy wheels, sunroof, AWD and more.
    4cyl
  • practicalbuypracticalbuy Member Posts: 72
    edited July 2012
    Hi ff811,

Congratulations on your RAV4 Purchase :)

I understand that you got 0.00 percent financing for your vehicle which is awesome.

1) Was this a 4th of July Purchase?

2) What was the Manufacturer's Retail Price on this vehicle i.e. the price on the paper sticking on the window of the RAV4 SUV.

3) Did you go through all the posts on this forum before the purchase of your RAV4? Because if you DID... then I feel sure that you have got a good 4th of July deal :)

Hope this helps.

Congratulations once again on your RAV4 Purchase :)
    edited July 2012
    Yes this was a July 4th purchase.
    0% financing for 60 months.
    Sticker price was $26,459.
    Sticker price was before after factory leather and automatic start.
    Unfortunately, did not find these posts till AFTER our purchase.
    I guess I don't need to know I got the best deal, just a fair deal.
    What do you think?
    And they gave me about $2K more than anyone else would for my trade-in.
    edited July 2012
    Your Sticker Price was $26,459 (before after factory leather and automatic start )

So I am ASSUMING that it was BEFORE the factory leather and automatic start.

Therefore $26,459 = Sticker Price
    PLUS $ 1,599 = heated leather seats , as per Patibandla's post #3786.
    PLUS $ 529 = Remote engine start (automatic start) as per edmunds
    ===============
    Total $28,587 = FINAL manufacturers retail price approximately.
    ===============

You have paid $30,044 = Out the Door

That is $ ($30,044 - $28,587) = $ 1,457 = more than the newly calculated manufacturer's Retail Sticker Price with options.
    But then the dealer has given you $2000 MORE than anyone else for your trade in.

Considering all the above factors.. and your 0.00 percent financing, I would call this a Fair Deal.

This is only an ASSUMPTION... because I do not know how much percentage TAX is charged in your State. In my state in Michigan we paid 6 percent tax.

Hope this Helps :)

Take Care
    Yes, you have been a big help, thank you. Does the final MSRP include taxes and fees? The $30,044 was after taxes, doc and registration fees ... the purchase price before taxes and fees was about $27,800. Does this tell you any more?
    edited July 2012
    No the final MSRP did not contain taxes and fees. (but please do not worry about it when you are buying a 2012 model of RAV4).

I was doing my calculations a bit differently i.e. comparing our own purchase experience with your price.)

You paid $ 30,044

Therefore $ 30,044 = price paid out the door
    Minus $ 27,800 = price before Tax, documents and registration
    =====================
    = $ 2,244 = Tax, documents and registration.
    =====================

I guess it is a fair price again. (I do not know the tax percentage in your state) also taking into account the $2000 you got more on your Trade in.

Hope this helps

Congratulations once again on your RAV4 purchase.
    Actually I inverted some numbers my OTD price was $30,440.
    Tax in NYS is 8.875%.
    Reg fee $300 and doc fee $349.
    Price of car with options before taxes and the reg and doc fees was $27,893.
    $6,500 trade-in for2002 Honda CR-V.
    Is edmunds tmv pretty accurate? If so I probably paid about $1000 what I could have. Not horrible ... I guess they made it up for me in the trade-in.
    What do you think?
    And I promise to leave you alone after this! :-)
    Just don't like to feel taken.
    As long as is was fair or dare I say good and I was not gauged I will be able to sleep tonight. I do love the Rav! :-)
    Btw, what did you purchase? Did you get a great deal? And are you happy with Rav overall?
    edited July 2012
    I am in Michigan. When I came to this forum there were not many clues on RAV4 purchase. Check out my first post on April 30, 2012.

We purchased RAV4 base 4WD, with their option I guess for about $150.

We got financing from Toyota for 3.99 percent and Toyota incentive of $1000 for Michigan.

You can say that we paid invoice price + Tax, title documents etc. which came to approx. Manufacture retail price. (reference edmunds.com). PLUS 3.99 % Toyota Financing (MINUS $1000 cash incentive for Michigan)
    We did not have any car for trade in.

Tax in Michigan is 6 percent.

I feel that your deal is very much similar to our RAV4 deal... (but your tax of 8.875% is higher than our 6 % tax),Just like us, you too did not have much clues on the RAV4 purchase price.

We are happy with our RAV4 purchase so far... :)

In My opinion... You have a Fair (good) Deal here, with 0 percent financing... (and trade in)
    Hope this helps.

Take Care
    Anyone else want to weigh in on this. Can I be satisfied with my purchase price and trade in if not ecstatic?
    Thanks for all you feedback and info - much appreciated!
    What did you mean anyway by please don't worry about taxes and fees when buying 2012 model of rav4?
    edited July 2012
    Hi ff811,

2012 RAV4 model is a close out.
    Toyota is coming out with a new design for RAV4 in 2012, because of which there are enough incentives and rebates.. which practically cover the Tax doc. etc. etc. That is the reason why I said do not worry about taxes and fees when buying the 2012 RAV4 Model.

If you go through many of the recent posts of the OTHER buyers (EXCLUDING MY PURCHASE DEAL) on this forum, you will know what I mean.

Hope this helps

Take Care.
  • soibien22soibien22 Member Posts: 2
    No
    Msrp = 22,650
    Qt = 2,150
    Cf= 225
    Delivery fee = 810
    Total = 25,835
    Value package discount = - 1,005
    Total list 24,830
    Based on the list

Dealer Lombard Toyota
    725 w. Roosevelt rd
    Lombard, il. 60148
  • rayraywrxrayraywrx Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Just paid 32225 out the door for a v6 limited pearl white with leather loaded. Sticker was 31,800 so i figure 32,225 out the door was decent. It's got every option but nav. Hoping I did ok . I live in new jersey . Also got 60 months 0% financing. 4th of July purchase.
    I see allot of cheaper prices being posted but this thing stickered at all most 32k
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Wife is hooked on the RAV4 with FWD, V6, limited and 3rd Row. You can build it on the site but we've had a helluva time finding it for her. Socal dealers insist it does not exist.

Finally found someone willing to get one from portland. No leather on it but it has the stuff she really wants: 3rd row, V6, power seats, etc. Figure we can add aftermarket leather.

So how are people getting these insane deals? Best price we could get before the Edmunds $750 was 2k off sticker. $2750 off a model that's going away doesn't knock my socks off.

She's paranoid the 2013s will not have the 3rd row or the V6, two must haves for her.
    edited July 2012
    Buddy... everything is demand and supply...

I say that if you can get this RARE "One piece model" car for $2750 below the Manufacturer's Sticker Price... Go and Get It... and make your wife happy :)

The deal is still BETTER than what we have paid for our RAV4.

In the big picture (we all come empty handed.... and will leave from this world empty handed.. all the money will keep lying in the banks or the Govt. will take it away... why bother for a few dollors here or there?)

All the Best with your purchase :)
    Well said. I keep fretting that I really didn't get a great deal on my Rav4 I should have done more research, but what is that few extra dollars a month in my pocket gonna do for me. Gotta stop worrying and just enjoy!
  • vivekasticvivekastic Member Posts: 9
    It's a good deal. I wasted a lot of time trying to find v6 sports in northern California for 3k below sticker. It's a hot car. I settled for rogue as v4 rav4 just doesn't cut it. Rav4 v6 3rd row is hard to find. If you are able to get 2k off MSRP, it's a good deal.
    She told the guy to get it and did the credit app. Now we wait for it to arrive.
    edited July 2012
    CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will Not Go Wrong with your decision :)

How many miles is Portland from your dealer's place?.

Our previous Honda Accord was bought in a similar fashion.... from another dealer... When we got the Honda Accord, it had a few miles on it.. because the dealer had brought it "driving" from the other dealer.

Dealers normally DO NOT encourage such trades within dealers (i.e. getting a car for a customer, from another dealer, because they want you to pick up one from their own "Parking Lot Inventory". Your dealer is actually going out of his way to get this car for you from Portland.)

Please do not get me wrong... I am not scaring you... only telling you our experience.
    I am aware of the fact that this is the RARE.. ONE OF ITS KIND Car... that happens to be out there.

Take Care
    The car was destined for a Portland dealership. He has arranged to swap cars with them before either one ever arrives in port.
    Excellent :)

Take Care !!
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 9
    MSRP 25,300ish
    add-on - dealer installed mud guards 169 (kinda high but oh well)
    Out the door with temp tags - 21,769

If you take off the mud guards and the dealer fee of 369, Truecar gave me a 4000 dollar discount off MSRP before fees and add-ons.
    edited July 2012
    Hi Salzo,

Thanks for the great tip :)

We hope more RAV4 buyers will post over here (share with the rest of us), their positive car buying experience with TRUECAR.com...

Take Care :)
    edited July 2012
    Hi

Got another tip.. from a Toyota Camry site about carwoo.com.

Anyone here tried carwoo.com, to buy car ??

Just wondering :)
  • tyler28tyler28 Member Posts: 3
    I shopped around MA to buy a RAV4 base 4WD. The quote from dealers are almost 2K more than the price posted here. Any suggestions or information?
    edited July 2012
    1) Do you have Dealer "Out The Door" OR OTD price for 4WD ?

2) Was this price given in email or via phone? Did you do internet shopping?

3) Is this OTD price around the invoice price or the Manufacturer's retail price.... or MORE than that ?

4) What is the customer Cash incentive for MA ??

5) Are you opting for 0.00 percent financing from the dealer (or you have your own arrangements for buying the car?

6) Try finding a dealer who has atleast THREE or FOUR 4WD's in his parking lot inventory... he will be super eager to get rid of his cars.

In my opinion month END is actually a good time to buy a car because dealers at the time are more interested in reaching their "monthly sales target" than profits...

BUT do not know if this "rule of thumb" is applicable for 'CLOSE OUT RAV4' Models.. where everything is "demand and Supply", and huge incentives have been given out.

7) Otherwise try for Honda CRV which is an equally good SUV.

8) Read somewhere Nissan Rogue was giving $3,500 incentive (4th of July) for their Rogue SUV's

Good Luck with your SUV purchase.

Please do keep us posted here at RAV4 site... and help keep this forum active please. (The Honda CRV forum is comparatively much more active than this RAV4 forum).
  • tyler28tyler28 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    The OTD price is 24,700. And this is after rebate. This is the lowest I got from email, phone and direct negotiation. This price is close to MSRP. The "month END" rule doesn't work for me.
    edited July 2012
    I am in Michigan... we got a 4WD OTD price for $24,116 (something) PLUS New title... which came to $ 24,274 OTD. with 3.99 Percent Toyota LOAN
    Customer Cash incentive for Michigan is $1000
    The MRSP for the 4WD, mentioned on the window of the RAV4 was 25,010 (including destination).

The tax in Michigan is 6 percent. At the time there was not much clues on prices on this forum.. Check out my very FIRST post on April 30th.

After reading everyone's deals...(posted later on) we concluded that ours was a "Fair" price.

Hope this information helps.

All the Best with your SUV Purchase :)
    edited July 2012
    Deal's all done. She got her unicorn. The discount off MSRP was $1600 and we've got another $750 rebate coming so 2350 off sticker total. Add that to the fact they way overpaid for her last car and we got 0% interest for 60 months... yeah we're happy with the deal. We may add some features later as the car my wife wanted is so rare in SoCal we didn't hold out for exact packages beyond V6, FWD, 3rd row seating. Beggars can't be choosy.
    edited July 2012
    LOL

The way you phrased your message.. made me smile :)

Probably you were not choosy... but did get Lucky... I think..

Congratulations on your new RAV4.

Enjoy your unicorn now :)
  • nztoyotanztoyota Member Posts: 3
    The Edmunds $750 rebate is a joke!!! Be careful !!! I registered the rebate on 6/22, purchased the car on 6/29, submitted the rebate request on 7/2 (I followed the guideline, and attached a copy of purchase agreement online). And last week the status showed as "Invalid" and the reason showed "Invoice/Receipt not sent". I called them then and was asked to fax them another copy. OK then I faxed them another copy last week. Today when I called they still said no receipt received. So basically if they refuse to receive your proof of purchase, you are not going to get the rebate. I asked today what if they will never receive the copy, they just said 'keep sending until we say we receive it". What a joke! I know some people got the rebate, but I guess they may selectively reject some eligible rebates to reduce their budget. So, be careful!!!
    edited July 2012
    This news is disturbing and very disappointing.. and not expected from a highly reputed Name Brand Company, called Toyota ..

I suddenly got an idea... why not.. POST the rebate form along with the invoice stapled to it...via REGISTERED POST.. where Toyota has no other choice, but to acknowledge receipt .......... and then see if Toyota is still claiming it as invalid ...?

In our case...we had mailed our rebate to Toyota..

Anybody else out there who wants to share their positive/negative experience about the $750 Edmunds Rebate.. is warmly welcome ...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I'm sorry to hear about your experience! We will be contacting the rebate company to determine what happened. If you are not contacted with more information soon, please feel free to email me, karen@edmunds.com.
  • hvn0506hvn0506 Member Posts: 5
    I'm still waiting (says pending), but I've got a check #, so looking forward to receiving it.

Promotion Toyota Rebate Offer Brought to you by Edmunds.com Date Received 06/01/2012
    Status Pending Purchase Date 05/25/2012
    Name x Invalid Reason (blank)
    Address x
    x Processed Date 07/17/2012
    Amount $750.00
    Phone x Check Number ######
    Now my status also shows 'Pending' but no check number yet. I don't know if it is because my complaint in this forum making them do something, or they finally find one of the 5 copies of the purchase agreement I sent to them. Anyway, let's see if I can finally receive the check. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and information!
  • js_77js_77 Member Posts: 1
    hello folks, I am stuck and unable to decide which way to go -

I am getting a 2012 RAV 4 Base for $21000 (before taxes). Dealer is desperate to sell me one and can further get it down by few hundred dollars...and further deduct $750 for Edmunds/Toyota rebate check directly frm Toyota (dealer not involved)...so essentially around $20000 for a NEW 2012 RAV4 Base (before taxes).

On the other hand I am getting a 2009 RAV Ltd (loaded with Audio controls on steering, Power and leather and heated seats, moonroof, Auto start, backup camera, auto climate control ...evrything that one can think of except dashboard navigation) with 39000 Miles for close to $ 19000 (Certified vehicle) with fairly close to 4 years remaining for Powertrain warranty...oh and it is V6 also..

I guess with the 2012 Base I only get audio control on steering and no other feature (atleast power seats should be provided in Base which they dont)...so I feel like I am not upgrading myself frm 1999 Camry LE which atleast has power seats.... dunno may be i am making a big deal out of power seats..

On the other hand with CPO 2009 Rav4 (V6), my only hunch is - after three to four years of using it, would it fetch me good resale value (compared to a 2009 Base mind you - not 2012).. I read somewhere that Limited editions depreciate faster than their counterparts (Base models). And hence getting a Limited edition is kind of ALMOST owning a white elephant (when it comes to reselling it)...

My mind is playing games with me between 2012 new and 2009 limited in terms of features and resale value.. Ultimately it is my decision based on whether I value more features in a vehicle or the resale value..but still need to know your opinion...

thanks !
    Heard your warnings. I scanned my proof of purchase when I submitted online. We'll see how it shows up...

Thanks for the heads up!
    Our family always bought new cars ...
    Did you try shopping for a new Limited Toyota RAV4 V6...
    Being a close out year 2012... who knows.. you might get very lucky...

Good Luck with your Toyota Purchase :)
  • pointx2ypointx2y Member Posts: 4
    Got the Rebate $750 yesterday!!

#3766 of 3861 Bought Rav4 Ltd 4WD V6 by pointx2y
    Jun 03, 2012 (4:34 am)

Price paid $28k - $2500 rebates ($500+$1000+grad rbt $1000) = $25,500. Tax Tag title OTD Price $27,500. 2.25% TFS finance. The usual premium and premium plus packages.
    MSRP $31679, Invoice (as posted by dealer) $30101. There was some more room to negotiate but missed!

Submitting $750 edmunds rebate tomorrow!

Hope this info helps.
  • hvn0506hvn0506 Member Posts: 5
    I thought the rebate expired already?

In any case, it's not a bad price. Once I get my rebate in the mail, it would have cost me $19K (before TTL) since I got an additional $1000 student rebate.
    I finally got the rebate yesterday, with the help from Karen at Edmunds.com. Thanks Karen! If you ever have any problems with your rebate, you can contact Karen directly and she is really helpful on this. I think the rebate processing company is not professional enough and the representatives sometimes do not understand how their system works. Good luck for everyone!
  • psk3psk3 Member Posts: 6
    Online status for my rebate says mailed on 7/18 but not recieved it yet. I called customer service with no help, I have to wait until 8/18 for them to look in to it.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Glad to hear you received it! You're very welcome and always happy to help. :shades:

For interested readers,please note that this rebate expired on July 1, 2012. For more info about Edmunds incentives, please see this FAQ:

http://support.edmunds.com/faq-Special-Offers-for-Edmunds-Shoppers-Rebates-83199- .aspx
  • therealmetherealme Member Posts: 1
    We got the 2012 Rav 4 Limited in Blizard Pearl with the premium value package and auto dimming mirror. We paid 28,041 + Tax (9.8% in WA) and $150 documentation fee. They didnt charge us any other fees.

What do you think of this deal?
  • dfgordondfgordon Member Posts: 2
    It's hard to say without more info about the specific vehicle. Is this a FWD or 4WD? 4 cylinder of 6 cylinder?

Assuming this is a 4WD, v6 with leather seats, I don't think you did that bad, but you could have come out a bit better with more research in hand.

You might have been able to get another 2-3% (or $600+) out of the deal with some hard bargaining. And it sounds like you didn't get the benefit of the $1000 cash back that's being offered. And sucks about the 9.8% tax. I have 6% in MD.
  • dfgordondfgordon Member Posts: 2
    So, I'm armed with a bunch of quotes on virtually identical vehicles.
    2012 Toyota RAV4 Base 4WD v6
    The prices I received are remarkably similar:
    $24,500-$24,800

A couple don't include the freight/destination fee ($810-1,000 for these dealers), but the others do. All purport to have subtracted (as in, included) the $1000 incentive/rebate being offered in this area.

The "factory-installed options" at invoice are basically:
    Value Pkg ($29)
    Tow Prep Pkg ($142)
    Alloy Wheels ($392)
    Exhaust Tip ($52)
    Cargo Floor Mats and Cargo Mat ($140)
    Mudguards ($64)
    Options at Invoice - TOTAL: $819

One might not include the exhaust tip, another the cargo mats, or both so that explains about a $200 difference between the dealer quotes.

Add on taxes (6%), processing ($200), tags/title ($300?) and with no discount on the options, my calculator can't seem to come up any less than $26,200 or so (already minus dealer holdback of 2%), and I'd like to get out as close to $24,500 as possible.

What's my negotiating tactic? Free options? Just negotiating the OTD price? Help!
  • fredy3fredy3 Member Posts: 27
    Hi ! I am from Quebec and I will replace my fantastick Rav4 2007 for a 2012. First time in my life that I will replace my car for the same type of car. My Rav 2007 V6 Sport have 185000KM still run fantastick. The engine run really smooth and suspension steering everything run perferct. I had my (mineral)oil change every 8000KM. The only problem I had recently is to replace the water pump, it was really noisy and now back to normal no noise and smooth running V6 engine. In general it is really impressive how this car is fun to drive in the city and on the hignway during all seasons, especially during winter in the snow... so much fun ....My freinds wants to buy my Rav2007. If I didnt have an allocation from my compagny to buy new car every 5 years I would keep my Rav2007 for years ... :shades: