Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hdawudihdawudi Member Posts: 1
    I've a 04 sport v6 2wd. I stopped while going up a steep hill just to test the hill assist thing and an alarm went off, which is normal. But then the car started rolling backwards and the transmission started grinding. I called Toyota of Plano service and they said I needed to release the clutch slower??? When I informed him that ALL 4RUNNERS ARE AUTOMATIC he went into panic mode. Is it supposed to grind like that?
  • silverjettasilverjetta Member Posts: 35
    I previously posted wheel vibration problem of my 2004 V8 SR5. I drove the car a couple of times since then and noticed that the problem is gone. Looking back, I had the problem when I was on a long trip. Is it possible that a steering wheel starts to vibrate after extensive driving or something is heated up?

I've been hearing about the warped brake disk problem. Is it related to this problem? I would appreciate your help.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    hdawudi, I think the behavior you describe may be normal. You should read your manual in detail on this, since your Toyota service folks are worse than no help at all!

I don't have my manual with me but IIRC, the feature is designed to hold you from rolling back for several seconds after you take your foot off the brake. After that, the system seems to be letting you roll slowly backward, and that's the "grinding" you hear. The system is activating the brakes to keep you from rolling backward too fast.

That's my best guess. Post again if your questions aren't answered.
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    At idle (park or neutral), motor makes a cyclic vibration about every 4 seconds and it shakes the vehicle. Not severely, but very noticeable.

It doesn't do it when put in gear (as rpms drop to 500) but as soon as it's put back into park or neutral it starts again.

Does anyone else have this symptom or know what might be causing this?
  • marymac66marymac66 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 4runner, manual transmission, 22R-E engine, four wheel drive with the ADD (automatic disconnecting differential). It's snowing here today and I can't engage the 4 wheel drive. The front drive contol lever moves ok but the 4 wheel drive will not engage. Can you help?
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    If I read my manual correctly, my comments in post 159 are correct. The system is only active if you're in a forward gear and your foot is neither on the brake or accelerator. It will hold you from rolling back for 5 seconds, and then it gradually stops operating. This gradual stop is probably what creates the chattering/grinding/pulsing that is heard and felt. That sounds like what I've felt a couple of times anyway.
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Has any one also had problems with PIAA extreme whites failing within less than a year in 96 through 99 4-Runners? I have had 3 bulbs fail in mine. Also, are there other equivalent aftermark bulbs just as bright that are more durable?

Thanks.
  • ohelloohello Member Posts: 27
    The only really bright bulbs for which I have found durability measures are the Sylvania Silverstars - and they give a life estimate of 6 months to a year. It seems that you can either have super bright or long life, and that there is a direct tradeoff between the two. I think that someone mentioned that Sylvania has some bulb (vision plus?) that has almost as much output as the brighter bulbs but much longer life.

If you CAN find a bright bulb with long life, please let us know.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    Why did Toyota design the new Runner to be shod with such off-the-wall size tires!? 265/65/17 is only offered by three manufacturers and these three each only offer one tire. Sure I could upsize to 265/70/17, but I feel when I stuff bigger tires under the fender w/o rising clearance I will be setting myself up for rubbing, etc. Not to mention, IMHO, I think a bigger tire stuffed into a tight wheelwell looks goofy. I like the 265/65/17 size, but don't like th tread offered on this size tire. I would love to have Michelin LTX M/S in 265/65/17. Why did Toyota lower the ride height and then offer basically non-existant OEM sized tires? I would have liked Toyota to add about an inch to the clearance and run a normal sized tire. The Dunflop AT20, Michelin Cross Terrain and the Bridgestone whatever are all street tires. I need a more aggressive lug!
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    The 265 /70/16 was offered on the SR5. It has the same diameter as the 265/65/17 and offers many different tire combinations. I believe 1 Canadian poster in the 4Runner forum bought the 16 inch wheels from Toyota and mounted snow tires on them and uses them in the winter. He had a Sport model with larger front rotors and said the 16 inch wheels had no problems. You may want to do a search on snow tires , etc to find the post. It was about 2 months ago as I recall.
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    The truck is new enough that there is little or no demand for new tires to replace the originals. Once people start wearing out the tires (3 years I guess) then you will see alot of options as the demand will have tire makers designing new tread patterns for this size. I bet this is always the case when a new tire size is introduced on a popular vehicle.
    pat84, thanks for the suggestion. But purchasing five new wheels and tires is not an option. I like the 17" wheel, just not the 17" tire selection.

My tires will need to be replaced before year 2 (two). The Dunflops, already filled to 36psi, ride very loose and sloppy. At the recommended 32psi, they ride even worse.
  • 2walker2walker Member Posts: 9
    Regarding the '03 moonroof rattle repair in the TSB: When examining the moonroof assembly I notice felt pads already in the locations spelled out in the TSB. I assume the repair is to put additional pads on top of the existing ones and doubt the repair would have been done prior to my buying the car new (april/may '03). It doesn't seem sticking felt on top of felt would last very long. Does anyone have experience with doing the repair themselves or have guidance regarding this procedure? Thanks! - 2walker
  • cmajcmaj Member Posts: 4
    2walker - If your dealer is familiar with the TSB for the rattle repair, my advice is to let them do it. It took them slightly more than 1 hour to complete mine and the vehicle is now perfectly quiet.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    While keeping the front wheels straight , lightly take your foot off the accelerator and then back on it. This often helps to engage and disengage the ADD system.

It could also be the fuse for the ADD.
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Thanks for the response on the after market replacement bulbs. I did not realize that their operational life was usually a year or less. Has anyone change the bulbs in an 04. Is there a significant difference?

Tangman
  • 4runtexas4runtexas Member Posts: 31
    the PIAA bulbs, which are recommended by Toyota, are extremely expensive in terms of light bulbs...a single pair will fetch you over 80 bucks!
    sylvania silverstars are not AS bright, but darn close, and for 60 bucks cheaper per pair, i'd say that is the way to go.
    i will be purchasing bulbs this weekend (the silverstars), but i have seen pictures with the bulbs replaced, they look incredibly origional on the 4runner!
    shorter bulb life is expected on replacements, just keep you're OEM bulbs safe and clean, and replace them when they wear out, it also depends on pure luck, as some bulbs last a couple months, some over a year.
    i plan to replace my high and low beams as well as fog lights, that is ALOT of bluish-super white light pouring out, i imagine they'll look awesome!

pep boys, o'reily, and autozone all carry sylvanias (19.99/pair), a little over $60.00 should replace you're entire light set.

...any one heard of replacement bulbs for the interior or signal bulbs, license plate bulbs, etc??

just my .02 guys, have a good weekend!
  • jmayhalljmayhall Member Posts: 5
    New 2004 Limited:

Has anyone experienced a dull repeating humming/vibration type noise at speeds around 70mph and up?

Sounds like it is in the lower front, possibly rotors.

Other than that car has been flawless....performed beautifully in recent snowstorm. Travelled the worst roads in the US from CT to Philadelphia (9 hours). Traction was excellent and the seats still felt comfortable.
  • scootnyscootny Member Posts: 8
    Probably trivial, but I noticed that at the bottom of the dash, near to the fuel door release, there is a small tab with a hole in it, kind of sticking out. It looks like there should be a bolt or something screwed in there, or it should be connected to something. Has anyone noticed this or have any information on what it might be? I'm just concerned that something might be missing or gotten loose there. Thanks.
  • meyersejmeyersej Member Posts: 13
    I've noticed it too... but only since the weather has gotten cold. You'll notice that it stops as soon as you let off the gas or shift into 4 (from 5 if you have a V8). It's some sort of harmonic vibration related to the engine or transmission. Could possibly even be exhaust mounts.
  • wtmccoywtmccoy Member Posts: 2
    We are having trouble with our 4 runner in the snow. My wife had an episode where it went out of control and slid off the road. Then later, I was driving that night when it went out of control and went into the ditch. I was going VERY slow and was not accelerating or braking when it went totally out of control.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Has anybody else experienced problems similar to what wtmccoy did?

tidester, host
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    Never experienced anything like this with my 4Runner's.

wtmccoy,

Sorry to hear about you unfortunate driving experience. Any vehicle including a snow mobile can be dangerous in snow. Although you were you driving slow, on hilly roads that are ice covered, most every vehicle will skid.

Just a few questions, do not take offense to these, just trying to understand why this has happened. Hope this forum will help, this is a serious problem.

> What model year is your 4Runner?

> Did you buy this new?

> Has it even been in an accident?

> How long have you owned this vehicle?

> If this is a previously owned vehicle, what condition are your tires?

> If used, has this truck been modified in any way, extra large tires, suspension changes, been rebuilt?

> Is this your first SUV?

> Is your 4Runner 2 Wheel drive, 4 Wheel Drive or All Wheel Drive?

> If 4 Wheel or All Wheel Drive, were you in 4 wheel high or 4 wheel low?

> Have you driven in snow before?

> If you have driven in snow before, ever had a problem?

> How deep was the snow?

> Did you notice other vehicles in ditches and having problems on the road surface?

> Was there ice on the surface under the snow?

> Were you ascending or descending a steep hill?

I ask these questions because I am now on my second 4Runner. My first, a 2002 SR5 was a V6 4WD, my current is a 2004 V8 AWD. My 2002 has been driven in many snow storms, the worst in depth was 26". And I have driven this in all conditions including ice, I have never had a problem, the VSC (vehicle skid control) saved me once on ice from going off the road. Driving in snow I have never had a problem. My new 2004 AWD was out last week in 8" of snow with some ice. That AWD system is outstanding, worked flawlessly. No problems at all.

If you are an experienced driver in snow and ice conditions, even a rear wheel drive 4Runner will do fine if driven carefully.

I owned a rear drive Miata for eight years and occasionally drove it in snow. The only time I had problems is when there was over 6" on the road, the ground clearance on that car was less than that so it began plowing the stuff. The 4Runner has about 10" - 12" of clearance depending on which year. If I could drive a Miata in 6" snow, then I feel I could drive a 4Runner up Mt. Everest.

Maybe there is a problem with your 4Runner. All the technology with VSC, ABS, DAC, HAC may be causing something to malfunction.

Possibly someone on this forum can help you. You need to discuss this with the service department at your Toyota dealer as soon as possible. This is not a normal condition for this vehicle. At least never one that I have heard about.

So be careful, I would get this checked before driving in snow and ice.
  • wtmccoywtmccoy Member Posts: 2
    We bought the vehicle with about 15 K miles on it. It is a 2000. I have driven in snow all my life. My ford pickup in the similiar conditions didn't have any problem. It was "slide" but once let off the gas it would straighten and not slide. The 4 runner was OUT OF CONTROL. The rear end seems to slide around without any warning. My wife is ready to get rid of it. It has scared her too many times. The tires are all ok-- recently checked out. I think it would be wise to get it checked out at Toyota-- something is not right for a vehicle to not be able to stay on the road. It drives fine on dry or even wet roads...
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    If you purchased this from a Toyota dealer they may have the vehicle history on file in their computer database.. Otherwise you may need to use carfax: http://www.carfax.com/ to find any unknown history of this truck.

If this was purchased on a private sale you may have a problem getting information. If so, try to contact the previous owner about its snow traction history. Unless you get an answer and solution from someone on this forum, you most likely need to take this to a Toyota dealer to be checked as to why it is having a problem.

I believe the 2000 Limited has VSC, not offered in the SR5. Is yours a SR5 or Limited, does it have 2WD or 4WD?

If this was my first 4Runner and it slid into a ditch while the other vehicles on the road were having no problems, I too would think of getting rid of it. I have never had this experience, for me this is the best tracking and performing vehicle in snow and ice that I have ever owned.

Please advise this forum what you find out. Hope you are able to find out why you are having this problem.

Good Luck!
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Are your tires slightly over inflated?

How much tread is left on the tires?

Putting it in standard 4WD, it should be very sure-footed.
    You cannot crack any window on the 4th generation while it is raining! Water pours into every window that is slightly cracked open to assist in ventilation. I would recommend Toyota put rain gutters along each window, like American cars, to eliminate this aggravating situation. I bought the $120 WeatherTech window vents and one of the vents fell off the window and was run over(cracked). So, I don't think the aftermarket window vents are a good solution.
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    I had a '97 that scared me a few times in the snow and ice. It was definitly one of the reasons I couldn't wait to trade up to the '03.

Maybe it was my tires I don't know. But I never felt that confident in that truck on slick paved roads.
  • bmannerbmanner Member Posts: 3
    I read from post#112 that someone else has had this problem. There is slight rattle originating from the front passenger door. It is noticable when you go over a bump. If the 4Runner was not SO quite, it would likely cause me no problem. But now I am listening for the rattle.

Anyone have this same problem? Solution?

Thanks
  • nick4597nick4597 Member Posts: 50
    I had a few scary incidents in my 99 Durango, none yet in my 03 4Runner. You have to remember that while these are 4WD vehicles and for the most part do handle great in the snow, if you hit a patch of ice going at a decent speed, no matter what SUV you're driving you're bound to have a problem. I have driven my 4Runner for a few hundred miles in pretty heavy snow and never had a problem at all. It is very good at corecting itself... no problems yet! Be careful out there!
  • 67gp67gp Member Posts: 5
    I've also had rain/dew from the roof drip down directly on the seats(especially the back)when opening back door when the roof is wet because there is no rain gutter & and the roof/door interface is directly over seat. I think I may give the 'rain vents' a try despite Sacstates bad luck with them.
    67gp: I had the WeatherTech VentVisors. They were the 'in-channel' variety, not using adhesive tape. They worked fine, except when it was cold and I rolled down the window at the Post Office and the visor plopped out of the channel, dropped to the ground and the car behind me slowly rolled over it! I wasn't happy enough with them to spend another $50-70 bucks on a replacement. But then again, having water pour uninterrupted into your cracked windows is frustrating and a major maintenance concern.
  • xgridxgrid Member Posts: 7
    I bought the same weathertech vent visors as sacstate1 and haven't had any problems with them so far, other than binding at the top which causes the one touch up to reverse direction as it rolls to the top. Vent visors are an absolute necessity on this vehicle, as previosly mentioned rain seems to fall right into the car if the window is cracked even a millimeter. I'm surprised that one of the vent visors popped out of channel since it seems to form a rather tight fit when installed.
    Thought i'd chip in on the current discussion. Whenever I open my door and my 4Runner is wet the left side of my drivers seat always gets a few drops on it. And yes, when it is raining out don't even think about opening the windows up front (haven't tried in back).. it seems like the truck siphons it right into the window for ya like a jet stream. I don't like the look of ventvisors so I think i'll pass on that. Oh well.
  • ckdexterckdexter Member Posts: 12
    If the moonroof was eliminated as a source of the rattle, you may try the back seat cup holders. A simple remedy for that rattle, is sticking self-adhesive felt to the bottom area. Bottom area = the plastic flat on which the cups bottoms would rest. Cut it to fit. When the back seat center arm is folded up, (vertical), the cup holders "fingers" tend to rattle against the plastic bottom. That particular rattle may sound to the driver as coming from the area of the passenger door and the "B" post.
  • dogwingdogwing Member Posts: 11
    I too am experiencing a rattle in the area of the door pillar on the driver's side door. I have a 2003 SR5 4X4. It seems to come from the area of the pillar where the shoulder belts are stored. Only notice it if I hit a bump. Very annoying. Notice that BManner in his #185 post mentions the same type of noise. ckdexter #191 mentions that it may be the rear cup holders. Anyone have this problem and any suggestions. If I take it back to the dealer how the heck do I get them to track it down? Thanks in advance
  • darbowdarbow Member Posts: 30
    Hi, I would like to know what are the good years to buy for a used 4runner? I have a 01 Tribute i want to trade but can not afford a new one. I dont want older than 1996. Thanks everyone! (oh, V6 and 4x4 models, auto tranny)
    xgrid: I guess the weathertech visor popped out based on an ambient outside temp of 32*(hard weatherstrip rubber) and drizzle(lubrication). When the window channel rubber is soft, during the summer, the vent has enough tension to 'wedge' into place. I guess when it is cold, the window weatherproofing becomes slick and unable to retain the leverage to remain in the window channel. BTW...another frustration was never getting the drivers window to accept the visor in auto-up function. It was like playing 'whack-a-mole' when trying to crack the window. They were not worth the $75 I paid for front and rear visors.
    I recently experienced the same problem in my 02 4Runner when the weather got REALLY cold. It sounded like it was coming from the left pillar or speaker area on the left door. Couldn't pinpoint it but I rolled down the window, folded the mirror against the car and back out again, the noise went away. Since it's been FREEZING here in Chicago I assumed it was ice or something frozen inside the mirror causing a rattle somehow. I haven't had the problem since doing that. Hope that fixes it for ya, it'd sure be an easy one.
    Correction, 03 4Runner
  • clemdiaclemdia Member Posts: 10
    "Contact Toyota directly."

Good advice -- Toyota Corporate said they'll forward my question ("What can cause 4WD-only and flashing indicator lights besides bad transfer case motor...").

I hope they have some inexpensive possibilities to share. The dealer is very apologetic and seems cooperative so far ("Mea culpa...") so my fingers are crossed.

Still, if anyone here is knowledgable about 4Runners and has any ideas, I'd love to hear from you...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.

And are you sure it wasn't a turtle in the door panel that went into hibernation? Anyone else remember that old Detroit urban legend?

Steve, Host
  • gobutlergobutler Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 2003 Limited 4Runner with 3K miles and have a very annoying rattle coming from the sunroof. Has anyone else had this problem. Does anyone have any recommended solutions?

It doesn't rattle when the roof window is open or tilted up. It rattles while driving or sitting at a light and is very annoying.
    Thanks, gobutler
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    gobutler, if you go back and look through the forum you will find this to be a common problem. I have not had this problem yet with my 2004 limited yet(knock on wood). the only problem I have had is the noise coming from my front passenger door. I have been trying to figure out where it is coming from, but I still can not find it.
  • suvowner2suvowner2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in any information/experiences concerning 2003 or 2004 4Runner's (4WD or AWD) performance in snow and slippery conditions.

I saw separate thread indicating problems, but there were only two messages posted. I'm considering 4Runner vs Mitsu Endeavour (no traction control available). TIA...
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I have the 03 Sport V-8. It is full time 4WD. As far as I know all 4Runners are 4Wd not AWD.
    My wife is a nurse and has to get to work on snow days. I got her to work in about 2 feet of snow in our sub-division. Some of the more major roads had been plowed down to 6 inches or so, with big plowed up mounds of snow at intersections. I had no trouble getting my wife to the hospital.
      I learned to drive in the snow having learned to drive in Chicago back when all cars were big old RWD sedans. I got my driver's license in 1961.
  • munsonmixermunsonmixer Member Posts: 1
    Do all 1999 4-Runners have timing belts or do some have a timing chain? I have about 108K miles and have not changed anything? One person told me i have a belt and another a chain! Any suggestions?
  • keithandstefkeithandstef Member Posts: 3
    My 03 V6 4Runner runs very silent, but I have noticed a light click or tapping noise coming from the front windshield. It could be coming from the dash, but it's tough to pinpont. Sort of sounds like rain hitting the windshield, but softer and with less frequency (and it's not something hittng the windshield). Happens sometimes of rough terrain, and sometimes just driving along. Could it be that the apoxy holding the window in place is improperly seated? Seems to be coming from the bottom of the windshield. Doesn't seem to be an issue with temperature outside or in the vehicle. Anyone else? Thanks.
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    The 3.4L V6 (predominant engine) has a timing belt. The 2.7L inline 4 has a timing chain. Hard to find a 2.7L engine.

Change the 3.4L timing belt every 90K according to Toyota. Evidently, some last longer than that. :)
  • basahebasahe Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2003 4Runner Limited V6 in August 2003. For the last 3 or 4 times I have filled up the gas tank, I have noticed that the truck's actual fuel economy does not match the MPG displayed on the trip computer. The trip computer below the radio has read somewhere between 19.0 and 19.8 MPG for the past 3 tanks of gas. But I have manually calculated the fuel economy to be somewhere between 14.8 and 16 MPG. I calculate the fuel economy by dividing the number of miles driven on the tank of gas by the number of gallons of gas I add to the truck. While I recognize city versus highway driving will affect fuel economy, this should not affect the trip computer's calculation. Is anyone else having this problem? Am I calculating the fuel economy correctly? Has Toyota committed fraud by representing false fuel economy number?