Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Care and Maintenance

Comments

• zeakzeak Member Posts: 24
    I was always told not to plug radials, they should be patched....
  • alexkchaalexkcha Member Posts: 8
    My TL is just about a week old and its been raining here the past couple days. What's the best method for a car wash? Should I go to a car wash place, or should I do it with a hose? Is it too soon to wax?

Thanks in advance.
  • ezracerezracer Member Posts: 24
    What websites list the tsb's for the TL.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Umm, let me think a sec ... oh, I know, this site right here!!

Maintenance Schedules, Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins.

;)

Also you can ask questions and get great info, including the full text, in this discussion: Technical Service Bulletins
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    FYI - Edmunds' "Maintenance Schedule" site you posted wouldn't allow me to input my 6MT - only automatics
    Really? I'm sure that's not right. Please use the Contact Us form under the Help link on the right side of the page to report it. Give them all the details the way you input them.
  • landlubberlandlubber Member Posts: 12
    'fraid its true, as I tried it myself. It works fine on the 2006, by scrolling through the trim types, but doesn't for 2004 and 2005.
    Please report this using the Contact Us tab under the Help link on the left side of the page. Thanks.
  • ezracerezracer Member Posts: 24
    Great.....Thanks !! Apparently I had a "brain fade".
    :shades:
  • socalhelpsocalhelp Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a Tl with Nav and love it. I am debating whether to keep the extended warranty or cancel it. It cost about $1500 (6yrs for 100K). So far, it looks like people are against it.

Has anyone heard/ experienced any expensive repairs after 50K miles?

What is the best price you have seen for the extended warranty? and where? Does it matter what state/ dealer you buy it from if it is manufacturer certified?
  • jrourkejrourke Member Posts: 72
    What is the best price you have seen for the extended warranty? and where?

Check out warranty prices online for a reference. Best prices Ive seen so far are at

hondaacuraworld
  • 2thdoc12thdoc1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Acura TL and am wondering if anyone has change their dust and pollen filter yet. If so, where are they located and how much of a job is it?
  • midnightbuimidnightbui Member Posts: 7
    just got a 06 TL,. my friends were telling me about a breaking in period,. first of all what is it? i sorta know,
    second, is that important to do,. i have 500 miles on it already and just found out about it,. im very Paranoid since this is my first new car.,
    Can anyone help out on this one.,
    thanks
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    I would avoid over-reving the engine or driving at a consistent RPM for long periods during the break-in period. I also avoided hard breaking.

Some say the break-in is up to 500 miles, but I took it easy until 1000.

After that.... Look out! :shades:
    Is that the same as the cabin filter? If so, I had mine change about a month ago. I think they are generally behind the glove box, but I had my shop do it so I don't know exactly.
    I found instructions for replacement under the "Acura TL" discussion #7447, by bhelsdon dated 5/5/05.
    My dealer wants $110 to replace the pollen filter. They say the glove box has to be removed (1/2 labor plus $30 for the filter). Is this out of line?
    It is easier than you think to replace them yourself. Buy the filter and try it according to instructions on msg #7447. If unsucessful, take it to the dealer!
    Here's a link to the post the good dentist ;) mentions: bhelsdon, "Acura TL" #7447, 5 Jul 2005 9:48 am. If you try it, let us know how it goes.
  • dbr317dbr317 Member Posts: 7
    This is the first time I have leather seats in a car.
    Can anyone tell me what brand is good to condition the seats. I also prefer not to have that glossy shine afterward like how armor does to the rubber dashboards.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    I use Zaino products, there is a cleaner and conditioner that are really good.Also, it gives the car that new car smell and it does not leave that shiny glossy look you mentioned.

I have been using it since 2002 on my TLS, the inside of my car (so i have been told) still looks and smell as if it just came off the line. Not to mention the exterior with the Z1 and Z5 products I have been using.

Type in keyword ZAINO on this site and you will see a forum that only talks about the Zaino products.
  • runonmd1runonmd1 Member Posts: 11
    "Arrgh" is the word! It's hard "breaking" bad habits such as confusing "breaking" and "braking."

But I agree...

Richard
    Indeed!

I should have proved it better! :P

(Yes I said proved instead of proofed intentionally.)
  • dbr317dbr317 Member Posts: 7
    I plan to change oil myself. Does anyone know when I reset, does it just reset the oil reminder or does it reset all maintaince as well like changing spark plugs, tire rotation, etc...?
    Thanks
  • murkymurky Member Posts: 9
    I just got my 06 TL on Saturday, it now has 78 miles on it. I have to travel for work on Thursday (about a 150 mile round trip), but I am scared because the car has not hit finished "break in" period. Any tips or advice?
  • murkymurky Member Posts: 9
    I am thinking of purchasing the yearly "Clean Car Club" package from our local Waterway Gas & Wash. It is about $275 and I know I will get my money's worth (year's worth of car washes/vaccuum and 5 cents off per gallon of gas), but I'm not sure how much I trust the folks there with my brand new car. Has anyone had any experience with them? Do you think this is a good idea?
    It resets whatever "minder" was displayed. If it was oil only, then that's all that's reset. If it was something mroe, then that'll be reset, too
    Don't consistently accellerate hard. DOn't travel at one rate of speed for more than a few minutes at a time. The break-in isn't hard to do, and you can still enjoy the car very much.
  • gnifegnife Member Posts: 1
    I have to change both O2 sensors on my '97 2.5 TL. Anyone know where I can find a walk-through or something?
  • sprtstersprtster Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    Just traded in my '03 G35 on a black/camel TL auto with Navi. I have always used vinyl nosemasks (bras) on my cars, but I want to get a clear bra installed on my TL. The dealer subs out to a company that uses 3M material, the most often advertised clear bra. I have called other companies that use eith Llumar products and/or Avery Dennison. Any recommendations on which brand? I've heard 3M may yellow over time. Any recommendations on an installer in the Atlanta region?
    Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    While I can't offer any advice on the clear bra issue, I can compliment you on your "move up" in cars! ;)

Welcome to the TL fold, hope you enjoy yours as much I do mine!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• hkyhky Member Posts: 71
    I used ventureshield, I compared to 3M, it is much more transparent than 3M, unless you walk close to it and look at the edge, you won't discover anything on it. The installer told me it is easy to stretch/install too and Llumar should be similar and 3M tends to yellow faster. I'm in dallas so don't know anyone in atlanta for installation - got hood, bumper, headlights, side mirror done for 650.
  • sprtstersprtster Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the recommendation. So far I love the TL. Less oversteer than the G35 and much more refined engine, though similar power. I am having a clear bra installed next week. I am having the XPEL clear bra installed. After speaking with a few installers and looking at websites of Llumar, 3M and XPEL, the XPEL seems to be higher quality. I hope to keep my paint chip-free between now and when it gets installed-staying off highways.
  • animalsrushanimalsrush Member Posts: 62
    I found a custom fit sun shade for TL from autoanything.com. It is about $45.00. Expensive but fits like a glove. That will keep interior cool when parking in sun.. The build quality is very good, better than what i have found in auto stores. Thought i might share this
  • amolvbamolvb Member Posts: 4
    On the 6-year anniversary, I happened to have my Acura at the dealership for the SRS light warranty work and they advised me of low cold cranks left on my battery (down to 60%). I ignored their warning and two months later (y'day) the car won't start. It is driven every weekday for over 20 miles.

If this is a potential battery replacement, are there any recommendations from the market (the dealership is nearly twice that of Sears Auto which is twice that of Walmart Auto). The Sears have Diehard Gold (640 cold cranks) and Diehard Weatherhandler (575 cold cranks). I couldn't get the cold cranks on the Acura battery. Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Check Consumer Reports, they do battery tests from time to time. I think lately the Wal-Mart batteries have actually scored high.
  • bob289bob289 Member Posts: 14
    I bought an 60 TL just last month. and i noticed the brake in was at 600 miles. i drove it at h 75+ miles an hour commin up from LA into santa maria. what would happaned being that i didnt break in the car properly? did i hurt somehting or get something checked out? all i did for the break in time no harsh stoping or accerlation. help....
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    Bob, the engine is going to seize at 4,000 miles and the transmission will start disintegrating at 3,500 miles.....JUST KIDDING!!!! ;) From what I have been told what you did should NOT present any problems.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Break or brake?

I should know this number - but don't - look at the RPM level when you are going 80 MPH - I think it is under 2,500 (maybe 2,200?). No way this does any damage to your engine. It would be much harder on a new engine if you mashed the gas pedal from a stop and let off when you got to 60 MPH - in this case I would guess the RPM level before shifting from 1-2 ; 2-3 gears (automatic tranny) would be close to 5,000.
  • semezsemez Member Posts: 36
    This may be a stupid question but I am curious to know answer. I just had an Oil change and didn't notice until it was completed that the oil used was synthetic.. In the past regular oil was used. My question, does it make a difference? and if so is it worth the premium I paid?
  • dave124dave124 Member Posts: 12
    That is funny you ask. I just logged on to see what others are using for synthetic oil. I just talked with my friendly mechanic. He hasn't touched my Acura yet. While under warranty, I take it to the dealer. He told me that I should use synthetic in my '05 TL.

That sucks they didn't tell you that they'd be using synthetic oil. From what I understand, you can't go back once you use synthetic. If I were you, I'd continue using synthetic but not that mechanic.

If you are like me, time is money. You don't have to get oil changes as often with synthetic. It lasts longer than regular oil. Less time at the shop.

Good Luck.
    I don't think your comment that "once you go synthetic, you can't go back" is correct. :blush: Synthetic and regular oil do mix. In fact, they make blended oils.

I go with synthetic. I've read from many different sources that it just does a better job of lubricating the parts, and is worth the extra amount.

My wife used regular oil once in her minivan after I forgot to remind her to use synth - there were no problems with the vehicle.

You know your comment about not needing oil changes as frequently with synth? I've heard that, too. Unfortunately, I don't think the Acura reminder system differentiates between the two. :cry:
  • strokeoluck1strokeoluck1 Member Posts: 37
    I took my '05 Acura TL in to the local dealer for the 7,500 mile service. Frankly I can't really tell what they did beyond changing the oil, checking the remaining tire tread (!?) and remaining brake life. The bill was $130. This is my first semi-luxury car and yes, I'm cheap (yes, I can afford it, but I'm cheap). So my question is, do I REALLY need to take it to the dealership to get this stuff done? And if I don't, how do I turn that service message light off? And will I do anything to my warranty if I don't pay $130 for my oil changes at the dealer?

Thanks, Rob
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Hi, Rob:

"I'm cheap (yes, I can afford it, but I'm cheap)."

Ditto here! No, you do not HAVE to take it to the dealer. As I had a couple of warranty things I wanted the dealer to look at, I did take my '05 TL to the dealer for first (A1) service. Which is basically oil change/tire rotation/inspections if memory serves. They charged $95 total and gave me a TL loaner.

For the next service, no issues for the dealer to review so I went to a local, reputable tire/auto care shop and had basically the same service done for $40. No loaner, but they did this during my lunch hour (ok, it was closer to a lunch two hour...) while I had lunch at the mall next door.

Keep the receipts, follow the recommended service intervals using proper fluids (e.g. 5w30 oil, I believe) and all should be well. No voided warranty here.

Or you could try to negotiate the dealer fees... Good luck with that...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    "You know your comment about not needing oil changes as frequently with synth? I've heard that, too. Unfortunately, I don't think the Acura reminder system differentiates between the two."

I kind of look at it a different way. I use synthetic in my '05, and the ONLY way I would go as long as the maintenance minder says between oil changes is with synthetic. I generally change the oil every 3-5k when using regular oil.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I have a Honda dealer 10 minutes from home - the Acura dealer I bought from is a 45 minute drive.

I plan on going to Honda to get the oil changed in the TL.

It uses the exact same filter and oil as the Accord - because it is basically the Accord engine.

Not sure if this will have much $ - but it will save time.

Synthetic?

When was the last time you heard about an oil related engine failure - when the car was given normal maintenance?
    how do I turn that service message light off

I always forget which, but it's one fo the following: When it shows the maintenance minder,

either push and hold it in until it disappears,
    or you push and release multiple times until it disappears.

I think it takes about 10 seconds to disappear. Once in awhile, you may need to do this twice (i.e., it'll disappear, but then as you scroll through the menu, it reappears).
  • bob289bob289 Member Posts: 14
    Im just wondering if anyone dealed with Gold Coast's service department? Im planing to head down there this weekend to have warranty work done (my passenger seat creeks like crazy when i accelerate or stop) and, being its the closest Acura (which is about 70 miles away from me). also how there service department is. Ive looked on the dealer rater page on the net. it only came up with 1 posting and an over all rating of a 1.5 i belive which ending up being a sales experience not a service experience. ive also read a few other dealer ratings and for the most part its like 1,2,3. not a whole lot of good posting concerning a good service experience. if anyone delt with Gold Coast and had an either an good/bad experience can please post. if the service was bad i might have to grit my teeth and travel a little further down to the LA area with is 3+ hours away from my house. thanks in advance
  • sas099sas099 Member Posts: 13
    Hello. I posted this on another thread but thought I would try here too.

Can anyone offer any remedies for removing interior scratches? I have 06 TL with ebony interior and I have scratches where the seat belt hits the side. Also, using a swifter duster I scratched my dashboard. I can't believe this happened with a swifter duster. Anyway, I have a six inch scratch. I have seen some people suggest Black Magic Protectant and 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Does anyone know if one of these products will fix the scratches or can someone recommend something else. I've only had the car three weeks and it makes me sick to see these scratches.

Thanks!