Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• annalovely0neannalovely0ne Member Posts: 7
    Thank you, Mkacura! You've given me hope, and I "will" approach the situation in the direction you've implied: It's great, because, I can let my "public administration skills" speak for me -- in writing, and in no way will I stop there. If I could tell you more, I would, but, I'll stop here before I blow a gasket talking. :o) Thanks to you, I know how to proceed so that the madness is stopped before it spreads any farther. OK. Also, it isn't "hydrogen", it's NITROGEN that's in the tires! :o) I was quite upset when I wrote that note seeking help. Again, thanks for your input -- it is so appreciated! After 13 yrs retirement, the military still comes through in the way that I handle things; 22 1/2 yrs active duty wasn't anything to "whistle at", as old-timers can say. :o)
  • zak_autozak_auto Member Posts: 19
    Last year I replaced the original Bridgestone tires that came on my '08 TL Type-S with Toyo Versados. I really liked them for most driving conditions. The tires were a little iffy in bigger snow accumulations. Last year in MA we had some pretty big storms and I got stuck in my driveway with the Versados.

I ran over a couple of nails recently so I ended up replacing all 4 tires wiht Toyo Extensa HP tires because Town Fair Tire didn't have any Versados in the area. They told me the Extensa tires were replacing the Versados.

I just bought the Extensas today. I need to drive them a little more so I'm not committed to them yet. I read some reviews of the Extensas and so far it looks like the consensus on them is that they are not too good in the snow. Living in MA I need decent snow tires because of the unpredictable winters.

I prefer all-season high performance tires over snow tires because of limited storage space and because some winters we don't get much snow at all.

Has anyone bought high performance all-season tires that they feel are fairly decent in the snow and yet are reasonably quiet?

I put on about 30K a year in driving. I bought the TL for the quiet, smooth ride and I'd like keep it as quiet & smooth as I can.

I tried Toyo Proxes on my TL before I bought the Versados and the Proxes were way too loud on the TL. I immediately swapped them for the Versados.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Zak
  • yoyooneyoyoone Member Posts: 9
    the michelin tires that come stock on the car are awesome

on every tl , or s type, the michelins did great in rain, snow... regular driving...i didn't notice any noise... windows always closed and stereo on

i wouldn't get a car without the michelins...
    edited October 2011
    Hi! I "totally" agree with you about the Toyos on an Acura -- it's close to driving a truck! Plus, the noise is overbearing! Thanks to the guy in the maintenance department who did not do what I asked (replaced Michelin's with Toyos), I drove out of the dealership thinking that he knew what he was talking about! NOT! I have those tires in bags that Sears provides its customers when tires are changed (since April), taking up room in my apartment! I "love" Michelin tires! Advertised the Toyos on Craigs List (458 miles), reduced the price, of course, but haven't been able to sell them! I all but despise that guy! OK. I won't blow a gasket. Only Michelins seem to make no noise; Sears ran a special on them, and offered a $70-rebate. :o)
  • zak_autozak_auto Member Posts: 19
    Hi yoyoone,

Thanks for the reply. What type of michelins do you have? My car came with Bridgestone tires that were horrible. They flexed too much during hard cornering and gave me a very uncomfortable feeling during aggressive driving. Toyo tires are fantastic for dry weather driving but so far the all-season high performance tires haven't impressed me at all in anything but light snow.
  • sdginz13sdginz13 Member Posts: 7
    I would like to let my fellow Acura owners know about the issues I have had with using gas from Costco.

My 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD died on me the other day and would not restart. It was towed to the nearest dealer where they determined the engine failure was due to contaminated gas that I purchased @ Costco.

It resulting in having to replace the cars ECU and fuel injectors, which were very costly repairs. Costco claims no responsibility for this damage!

There were similar incidents in New Jersey affecting about 20 Honda automobiles two weekends ago.

On going there seems to be an issue with their gas or something in it and our sensitive engines which no one wants to tell the truth about.

I feel its my responsibility to warn Acura owners about the dangers it can cause to their vehicles.
  • mkacuramkacura Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the warning, even though I don't use Costco gas. I'm not doubting you but I was curious as to how the dealer know it was the gas? Is there a test that they do?

If my dealer told me it was bad gas, I would say "Prove it!" I'm just wondering what proof they provided you.
  • rlonn1rlonn1 Member Posts: 106
    I have used COSTCO gas in my cars for the last 15 years. Recently my wife 2009 TSX and for the last 2 years in my TL-SHAWD, Zero problems, but that is here in San Diego, Ca.

This should not be blamed on Costco, but rather the distributor of the gas and how well they take care of their underground or above ground storage tanks...

Sorry to hear of the problem.
    edited November 2011
    The dealer pulled the fuel injectors from the car and sediment was leaking from them. I have pictures to prove it.

You should watch this link:
    http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/video/#!/news/local/Tainted-Fuel-at-NJ-Costco-Cau- - ses-Problems/132751993

I strongly believe that there is something used in the gas that affects our engines. That may only be here in the northern states as the gas changes over to a winter blend. Regardless, we should know about it.
  • rlonn1rlonn1 Member Posts: 106
    I watched the video,definitely is a delivery company issue with contamination. I take care of technical building and have over 21 Generators under my watch. Contaminated fuel is a big concern for me when filling up a 2000 gallon tank. With Diesel Fuel we do what is called Polishing the fuel once a year looking for any kind of contamination. In California we have summer and winter fuel, mixing them together will not cause any issues... I think Costco did the correct thing to make good. I am sure they in turn will go back to the delivery company to get their money back.... They only showed Hondas, I am sure other brands have the same issues.... Having the car break down does SUCK big time, but don't blame Costco.... BTW, just refueled at Costco yesterday and I looked around and saw BMW's, Mercedes Benz, A Jag, 2 Honda Civic, 3 Toyotas and what looked like a 2012 Ford Taurus all getting gas!!
    I dont know who to blame. Dealer says its the gas, Costco says its not. I am just trying to get the word out to people to be careful. I was lucky that Acura stepped up to pay for the costs otherwise I would have been out of pocket a lot of money.
  • mkacuramkacura Member Posts: 20
    I watched the video too. It's awesome that Costco is taking full responsibility even though it's the distributor's (or higher up the chain) fault. Not a Costco member but now I'm thinking about it! :) Very rare these days as it's usually screw the customer.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    There must be something to their customer service - I just read recently that Costco has about an 85% renewal rate. Pretty darn good customer retention.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I think you people are missing the point. They are paying for this because they got all kinds of publicity on it. When I went to them with MY issue they denied responsibilty and refused to pay.
  • exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    I have a 2004 TL with 76K miles. The dealer says that I need to replace the timing belt due to age and dry rot (8 years old). The manual says that I need to wait until the maintenance minder tells me to do it.

Any advice? Can I do it at a Honda store, it is $200 cheaper?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    How did the dealer examine the "dry-rotted" belt exactly?
  • selig1selig1 Member Posts: 8
    I've been told the same thing by a honest non honda/acura mechanic. The belts, like any belt, do become cracked over time. The risk of not changing it is ruining the engine. I have 50 k on my 04TL and plan to get it done soon. Cost here in Denver with the mechanic I mention above is about $900. The dealers want, if I remember correctly, $1200.
    I don't see why the belt couldn't be examined for these cracks, but I suppose the logic is that while you have taken things apart to look at the belt, you might as well change it. But on many cars you can take off a shield and see what's what in there.
  • exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    The dealer didn’t inspect the belt; it was a “general recommendation”.

The Acura store charges $1300, and the Honda store charges $1100, however, it includes water pump replacement, coolant flush and some other stuff. I have scheduled an appointment with the Honda store on Saturday.

Thank you for your replies.
  • newguy_acuranewguy_acura Member Posts: 3
    This is my first message and I understand that this forum is mostly for discussing acura maintenance and repair issues, but I would appreciate any inputs from members since I am into the car buying market once again after my car got totaled last month in an oil spill related incident.

I am in NJ and I am researching for a used TL (base)...most of the '08 models are available at dealers around $22000 - $23000 (with approximately 30000-35000 miles on them)...and most '09 models are available around $27000 - $28000 (with around 25000 - 35000 miles on them)...

How much low could a dealer get if I negotiate on this price? The prices seem unusually high considering that these are 3-4 year old models...

Any inputs are greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone have experiences with "Paragon Acura" (NY)? They seem to have the best prices but have a lot of negative reviews around hidden fees etc.
  • drive4showdrive4show Member Posts: 6
    hello all
    i have an '05 TL that i bought new. Its been a terrific car overall, but I've got 95k on it now and several of the lighted controls on the dash and steering wheel are no longer illuminated. The controls work fine, but they are no longer lit. Notably, 2 of the 3 cruise control buttons on the right side of the steering wheel, the phone call hangup button on the left side of the wheel, passenger airbag light on the dash, the trunk release button, and the max (light) button. Plus a couple others!! Are other owners experiencing this problem? I took it to the dealer and they want about $450 to fix all of these lights. I am wondering if I can do some of them myself. Any guidance would be appreciated!
  • cusportscusports Member Posts: 5
    Hello, the compressor on my 2004 TL seems to be kicking on more than usual regardless of whether the AC or defrost is on, has anyone encountered this? Also the climate control is acting strange where the passenger side blows cold air even when set at 75 degrees unless its set to the upper vents only (rather than uppper and lower). Thanks for any thoughts!
  • camoncamon Member Posts: 98
    I have had cold air coming from the upper ducts on 2 Acuras (2000+2005) with manual heat/ac controls on a few occassions. I have'nt a clue what causes it.

On both I turned off the AC switch, turned the heat to maximum and blower to maximum (with the car warmed up) and then cycled through all of the various vent position "modes" very slowly several times. The problem went away on both cars. No more cold air.

I had the 2000 into the dealer to check and they could not find anything wrong.

Good luck with yours.
    Thanks - that's been my experience as well. Toggling through the modes to various combinations of the dual zone climate control seems to correct the issue.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,493
    interesting. I just had to take my 2000 into the Honda dealer due to no heat. DId screw around with the controls for a while and did not get it to generate heat. Hope I did not miss anything!

repair was to replace "hot water valve and cable". No clue what that actually is, but it now has heat.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited December 2011
    My guess is that if you got no heat at all from any ducts, then it could have been the heater valve you had replaced (especially if your work order shows that they had to add coolant to your system . . . as I best recall removal of the valve that actually diverts the hot water flow can cause some loss of coolant on many vehicles).

The instances I ran into involved primarily getting cold air through the upper cabin ducts even with the heat on and outside vents closed.
    sounds right, since they also replaced a cable to go with it, and my son said it indicated coolant (not sure if replenished or replaced).

Ticks me off though, that I just had the coolant changed in the summer, if they did it again now!

• carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I have a 2006 TL( parchment seats) with 80,000 miles. The leather on the driver's side is crazed. In addition, I found a slit in the leather of the back seat. (I'm assuming from a car seat that someone put in there.) The tear is making me crazy! And I imagine the front seat will eventually crack open if I don't do something about it.

What are my options?

Thanks.
    duct tape always gives a nice, classy look.

Or take it to an interior shop. They might be able to repair. Beyond that, seat covers or the really expensive option, have them re-skinned.

Hi. I have a 2008 TL that I've repeatedly treated and conditioned the seats with the products Acura sells for cleaning and conditioning, and there is discoloration that seems to be getting harder to keep off the seat (driver side). Wearing jeans and other dark colors rubs the dyes into the seat, as I was told, no matter the cleaning and conditioning. Discussed this issue with the maintenance rep. last week and was given the suggestion to buy a spray bottle to add a dime-size amount of Ivory Liquid (for dishes) into warm water; lightly spray an area and use a soft-bristle brush to lightly scrub the seat; don't soak the seat. Use a soft cloth to remove dampness, as I go along; let the seat dry thoroughly. Then, treat with leather conditioner purchased at Acura. It seems that the product used to clean the seat pushes the dyes further into the leather! Had I known that, I would never have purchased the taupe interior! Otherwise, I was told to look for "after-market" seat covers. Don't know if this is any help; hope so, anyway.
    Previously I had black leather so I didn't have much trouble with fading colors but the TL I have now has light gray seats. I really like Lexol leather cleaner/conditioner. A trick I learned working at a dealership in college is to use steel wool and glass cleaner as the cleaning method. Sounds scary, but obviously you're not "laying into" the leather while cleaning, but you do loosen up a lot of the dirt. I recommend Sprayway glass cleaner - its amonia free and the best in my opinion. So, first spray on the glass cleaner, scrub lightly with the steel wool, then dry off with a cotton cloth. Then apply the Lexol leather conditioner. Seems to keep the seats strong and comfy.
    Hi! Thanks! I've never heard of the Sprayway Glass Cleaner, only Windex. Where can I buy that product? I (my daughter) cleans the seats, conditions them, etc., and uses Lexol and the other product Acura sells, so, I'm familiar with those. Since "she" drives the car more than I do, she has to keep it clean. lol Thanks, again, for your advice. "Hurry up" and tell me where I can buy that product. :o)
  • nmsgnmsg Member Posts: 39
    Does anyone know of a good and cheap online place that I can get an air filter for my 08 TL? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    If you want an OEM part, there are a few places online you can google. The only one I am familiar with is handa.com.

I just use an aftermarket one (such as purolator) and you can get that anywhere.

Well I get Sprayway at Costco and it comes in a 4-pack. If you don't have a Costco nearby you might look it up online. Its in a blue can and works great!
  • ready2learnready2learn Member Posts: 1
    This problem has been noticed since purchase, I've asked dealer and they suggest Its the key turning too far thats making the start up lag/drag instead of starting right up.
    The engine feels like it chokes before it starts up.
    I have used some fuel injector but that didnt change much. Id like to resolve this problem shortly. Everyone I show it to has a different opinion. Car runs great, been driving it for about 8,000 miles now wit this problem, so it seems to only be at ignition

I drive 2007 Acura TL with only 30,000 miles on it

Any help would be nice!
    any chance the battery is weak, and it doesn't have enough oomph to kick it right over?

• dwdraw2dwdraw2 Member Posts: 6
    I'm driving an Acura TL 3.2, 1999, which I bought new. I just got my Timining belt changed and tune-up for about 1300 upon my request at 99500 miles. Nothing was rotting, I was about 5000 miles early on the change. I did it to protectect from any maintance issues pertaing to those componets while on the road.

I wouldn't think that you would need to change yours so early, unless your car is exposed to harsher climate conditions that may cause early rotting on your timing belt. You need to inspect the belt yourself to determin if it is rotting.
    Thanks for the timing belt info. I have a 2000 TL and was curious about the wear due to age alone.
  • appellofappellof Member Posts: 54
    Does anyone have experience with the engine repair? My daughter just bought one and her boyfriend decided to try to fix it, and, well he ended up destroying it. I don't know if he cracked a head or just blew a head gasket. There is a bleeder port on the engine cooling system and I am wondering if the pressure is supposed to be bled out of the cooling system prior to driving. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Daniel
  • appellofappellof Member Posts: 54
    The bleeder is to let out air while the coolant is being poured in, for the initial fill.

If there is air blockage, yes, the engine could overheat.
  • rosle9708rosle9708 Member Posts: 1
    I bought this car yesterday, it has 87000 miles. The previous owner seems to have taken good care of it but he did have a power steering fluid leakage recently (fixed). Is it wise to spend ~$2000 for an extended warranty? I only drive ~5000 miles a year. My gut feeling is to have faith in the Acura brand but the fear of being stuck with an expensive lemon is hard to overcome.
    Well, how many years and miles does it add?

In any case, I would say no on a TL. Put the 2K in an account, and add a little each month. Odds are you aren't going to ever get enough out of the warranty while it it still in place, and the Acura isn't likely to have a hugely expensive failure that would be covered.

• prprt33prprt33 Member Posts: 9
    I have 154,000 miles on my 2005 Acura TL and have changed the timing belt twice already, once at 60,000 miles and again at 120,000 miles. The Acura dealership is telling me to do it again at 180,000 miles. Is this too often? I noticed a gentleman had just changed his for the first time at 99,500 miles and their TL was a 1999 not a 2005. Thoughts? Also, has anyone replace all of their engine and transmission mounts? I had to replace all of mine at around 100,000 miles and it was very, very expensive.
    look in the owners manual. If you still have one with service intervals, otherwise might have to check the internet.

the first change is called for at ~100K (maybe 105?) or 7 years. So you were well under that at 60K. But, they may have a shorter interval for subsequent changes.

But I doubt if it was me that I would replace it again that soon.

As to mounts, the ones on my '99 got replaced at about 140K miles. My sister owned it at the time, but I believe the bill for the full service + mounts was about $700.

That for the feedback, I went and checked my owner's manual and it said if you drive in really hot temperatures to replace the timing belt every 60,000 miles. I live in Phoenix, AZ so that must be what the dealership is going off of.
    I have a 2000TL with 184,000 miles on it and it has its original timing belt. I'm going to run it until it conks out.

I've had my timing belts replaced on other vehicles at various intervals and the old ones have always looked fine when removed.

We will see how long it lasts on this on this 2000TL as I usually replace my cars after 200,000 miles .
    Yeah, I think on my next vehicle I will change them at 100,000 miles. I am going to replace my 2005 TL at 200,000 miles as well and was really debating if I should replace the timing belt again at 180,000 miles or go until she hits 200,000 miles when I sell it. Any particular reason why you replace them at 200,000 miles?
    I replace my cars at 200,000 miles because that appears to be the time when various items with moving parts begin to wear all around the same time it seems. Such as alternator, water pump automatic transmission parts etc. But until then my maintence costs are virtually nonesistant.