Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Anyone have problems with TrailBlazer after replacing new battery?

garyc9garyc9 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Anyone have any problems with their TB after replacing the battery? After replacing new battery, drove off and turn on A/C and RPM began to drop significantly and eventually stalled on me. I checked the terminals and secure as could be and then checked my alternator, all ok.
 I checked with Dealer and says that the computer memory was erased after replacing battery and will need to reprogram & recalibrate the computer. Any one experience this problem before?

Comments

• desi501desi501 Member Posts: 66
    You don't say what kind of car you have but yes, most vehicle will lose their memory when changing batteries but will learn in on their own through normal driving. If it doesn't improve disconnect the battery again and give it another try.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    not sure what the GM computers do, but fords stop playing for warm-up idle setting within 30 seconds (assuming the sensors work) and should re-learn its curve within 30 minutes of driving. until then, all computerized engines fall back on a limp-mode stored program that is gutless, but won't blow the engine up. YMMV on how long it takes for the GM computer to relearn its curve, but it shouldn't take all freaking day, either.
  • vidtechvidtech Member Posts: 212
    i am assuming tb means thunderbird?i know on my ford they state after the battery is reconnected you should start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes.ford says that is all that is needed for the computer to retrain itself.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    My guess would be 2002 or newer Chevrolet TrailBlazer, but that's just a guess. The original poster didn't bother posting make, model, year, and engine, so...............
    I'm not sure but doesn't the title give it away.

re: Anyone have problems with TrailBlazer after replacing new battery?
    I presume the hosts changed it. could be t-bird. could be "tub 'o' bolts." original poster has not come back with more info.
    It must have fixed itself.
  • garyc9garyc9 Member Posts: 3
    Its a 2002 chevy trailblazer that I'm having problems with since changing the battery. The factory battery was leaking acid and since replacing, I'm having little problems which I've never had before the battery change.
    the RPM dropping issue should have resolved itself by now. if not, there may be other issues that need looking at, see the dealer. I would expect it should be warranty stuff.

on my explorer, the only wiring that crosses under the battery tray is some headlight and turn/park signal stuff, but the starter relay is next to the battery tray. I would not expect anything critical to be running under yours, but one never knows. if acid dripped on the wiring, the PVC should have warded it off... but if it got into connectors, all sort, manner, and kind of issues could arise.

replacing the battery does not carry a major danger of munging anything else up of significance... say, in case "little billy goodwrench III" was learning on the job, and used his air hammer injudiciously :( it's out of the way. so it's very unlikely that any other major systems were hammered. it's not impossible that the battery got a little low on acid and may have done some grief to the regulator or something, but a simple load test will reassure everybody.

if you still have issues -- not just perceptions, such as "I'm picking up more bugs on the window now" or "the brakes stick on the rear someplace", which I've also had briefly after getting a car back from major repair because I'm paying attention to things I didn't before -- see the dealer on 'em.
  • garyc9garyc9 Member Posts: 3
    I took my truck to the dealer after having problems after replacing the battery and told me that I had to reprogram & recalibrate the computer. my truck is over the warranty period so of course, money out of my pocket, this time. From what i've heard, after replacing the battery, the memory does clear but if drive around for a while, the memory would come back and all is good, but if that is the case, the dealer forgot to mention that to me and instead stuck me with a bill that i really didn't have to pay for.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yeah, I changed the title to make it clearer to readers that TB meant Trailblazer.

Shifty the Host
This discussion has been closed.