Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Prius

Comments

• Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,473
    If the demand for the Prius holds up or even increases, Toyota and other manufacturers are likely to shorten their timelines for other hybrid vehicles. This would allow more choices sooner, as well as providing all of the other benefits of having more hybrid vehicles on the road. For those who want specifically a Prius, it will eventually reduce the competition (although not for a while.)

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    Configuration analysis is extremely time-consuming. Lab testing is just a lengthy. Warranty & Reptuation concerns require no shortcuts to be taken.

In your opinion, when do you think the other automakers will have a product good enough to compete with the HSD?

HSD = Hybrid Synergy Drive, the hybrid system in the 2004 Prius that will also be used in 2 other vehicles next year.

JOHN
  • Options
    3c33c3 Member Posts: 76
    Is the key powered by battery or RF energy?
  • Options
    oldfoxoldfox Member Posts: 29
    Thanks John for the info re: Smart Entry system-that cleared it up for me.
    Now how about those fog lamps. Do you know if they can be ordered as a stand alone item? Also what do they mean by colored door handles and antenna?

T.
  • Options
    > fog lamps

The large black plastic piece in front on the bottom of a 2004 Prius without factory lamps may not provide a place to add some afterward. You're just going to have to wait and find out.

> colored door handles

They're painted, just like the door. So they blend right in.

> and antenna?

Sorry, I don't even understand that reference.

JOHN
  • Options
    geo2004geo2004 Member Posts: 18
    We're in the Burlington,VT area. Our local Toyota dealer tells us there are about 20 people on the waiting list for the 04 Prius. He does not expect to see one on the lot before March. Any suggestions where one may be available before March in VT, upper NY state, or NH? Thanks!
  • Options
    He's right. They won't be available on the lot for quite awhile. But that shouldn't make any difference to you. Just rent one for a day.

The TRAC (Toyota Rent A Car) models will be available in just 2 to 3 weeks. Give that a try. Then once you're hooked (it only takes a few minutes to become overwhelmed with desire), place your order... which should arrive before March.

JOHN
  • Options
    The TRAC models themselves will be for sale in a few months. It's standard practice to sell them before too many miles accumulate. So a few times a year they start again with new ones. That opens up a market for used & discounted 2004 models.

JOHN
  • Options
    mrvadeboncoeurmrvadeboncoeur Member Posts: 146
    Typical TRAC (Toyota Rent A Car) vehicles are on
    the program for 4 months, then they're able to be
    sold.

I have heard of some dealers that have worked out
    the ability to have a higher turnaround on their
    TRAC program, down to as little as 2 months.

If you find a dealer with a TRAC (aka demo unit),
    ask when it comes available for sale if you like it!

My husband's Prius is due in this month (October)
    at Westboro Toyota (MA), along with a few TRAC
    vehicles for the dealership and other Pioneer orders.
    So other dealerships should see TRAC Prius soon,
    if they ordered any.
  • Options
    vandenvanden Member Posts: 5
    This is the first I've heard of TRAC.

If I want to rent an '04 Prius to try it, do I do that through a Toyota dealership? Does every dealership offer this?

I'm worrying that with the high demand, test drives may be hard to come by.
  • Options
    boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    vanden-Try http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/trac/

You can find a local dealer that has rentals from the website. I'm looking forward to renting one, if it's possible. I don't think test drives are ever long enough to decide if you like a car--the seats may be comfortable for the first 15 minutes but could kill you later. My wife and I rented a Taurus wagon for a week while we were thinking about buying one (we needed a car anyway), and then decided not to buy it. We looked into renting a Sienna from a Toyota dealership at a time, and I think it was something like $90 for a day. That's an expensive test drive, but when you're going to be spending $20K or more, it seems worth it.
  • Options
    thanks for posting the link for me.

Some dealers will deduct the TRAC rental fee from
    the price of the car, should you decide to buy one
    because of the extended test drive! doesn't hurt
    to ask...

however, I think the TRAC vehicles tend to be
    short-term rentals (a day or so), as they're usually
    the units that are given out when someone has their
    car in for a lengthy service/repair.

not all dealerships have TRACs. Heck, most dealers
    haven't even been trained on the 2004s yet! best
    bet - call around to try scheduling things. check
    out the various internet sites, maybe you'll find
    someone on the Pioneer list that'll let you take
    theirs for a short spin. (First deliveries are
    around Oct. 17.)
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    from my local TRAC dealer on a semi-regular basis, and I was in there the other day, so I asked the woman who runs it when she expected to have '04 Prius - her answer? January. Have to wait a while to try out this new one, if that dealership is any indication. :-(

I happen to be stopping by another TRAC dealership tonight to see a friend, so I will ask there as well.

With Prius even more than with most cars,I would strongly recommend renting one for a weekend and driving off a tank of gas to get to know it, before committing to purchase.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Thank you for posting about TRAC. We are looking into it, also web-searching dealerships in our area regarding inventory and waiting lists.
    Based on previous yr's models, how can we expect the Prius 04 to operate on snow-covered roads? What kind of snow tires are recommended? Can it hold 17 inch tires? (I'm thinking *not.)How does the Prius hold the road under windy conditions? We're really eager for a test drive. We are new to Toyota. The Prius would be a 2nd car, in addition to our '96 Accord wagon.
  • Options
    > how can we expect the Prius 04 to operate on snow-covered roads?

I'm looking forward to a very uneventful Winter #4. The first 3 in Minnesota with the 2001 Prius and all-season tires were ho-hum. All the driving was controlled & predictable. This year I'll have a 2004 Prius with VSC (Vehicle Stability Control), so driving will be even better.

> What kind of snow tires are recommended?

Blizzak is a favorite of owners. But now that the tires are 15", there are quite a few more choices available.

> Can it hold 17 inch tires?

Why? And I doubt it.

> How does the Prius hold the road under windy conditions?

CLASSIC: The tall profile allows the wind to hit it, but the body is so aerodynamic that it just slips through. So it doesn't effect driving.

NEW: With an improved Cd (to that of a Corvette!), I wouldn't expect to feel anything anymore.

JOHN
  • Options
    eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    John, do you think the 04 Prius will tolerate repeated 20 minute stretches of idling with the a/c running in southeast Texas heat and humidity?
  • Options
    I don't see why it couldn't. Prius runs cool in the first place. The fact that it shuts off the engine from time to time actually gives it an edge over traditional vehicles.

JOHN
  • Options
    paul34bpaul34b Member Posts: 33
    Why doesn't the North American version of the 2004 Prius offer the Intelligent Parking Assist (IPA)? Are we just better at parallel parking so we don't need the automation or might we see this in the next year or two?
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    The impresion I got is that it's not totally foolproof and the NHTSA or/and Toyota is concerned that it might actually be a liability in regards to a pedestrian walking between cars and getting injured because of the driver letting the car take over and the car not responding properly.
    I myself think it's a bad idea. If you can't park a car between two others... then you need to learn how.

Here's a link:
    http://www.autoworld.com.my/emzine/review/viewarticle.asp?awRevie- wId=1509&awCatId=RT.ATC.CAR.FS
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    There is a big liability issue with that. I don't see why they couldn't stick a big warning sign in the rear window and say: CAUTION: THIS CAR IS EQUIPPED WITH INTELLIGENT PARK ASSIST. BE CAREFUL AROUND THE VEHICLE. WATCH. LOOK TO SEE THAT THIS CAR WILL NOT HIT YOU IF YOU ARE DUMB ENOUGH TO CROSS THE STREET WITHOUT A CROSSWALK. There. The lawyers can approve mine word for word or they could change it.
  • Options
    fine with me.
  • Options
    We're trying to learn as much as possible about driving a hybrid. We hear that if the Prius is not driven for about 2 wks, the warranty may not be honored. Is this truth or heresay? What happens when the Prius is not driven for an extended period of time? What are the best strategies for getting one sooner, not later? Is it recommended to get on a waiting list? If so, do you accept whatever package and color comes along, or should you pre-order a specific package and color? Thanks for any suggestions.
  • Options
    > We hear that if the Prius is not driven for about 2 wks,
    > the warranty may not be honored. Is this truth or heresay?

At first, I was really upset about this fiction. I knew it wasn't the slightest bit true, yet the belief grew anyway. Now that I've seen a rumor grow from scratch, it's rather intriguing. Will it actually become a full-blown misconception now, or will it just be one of those stories you hear about?

> What are the best strategies for getting one sooner, not later?

If you want a NEW 2004: find a dealer you can trust, then place an order.

If you want a USED 2004: find a dealer you can trust, then request to buy their TRAC model as soon as they are done with it (usually about 4 months).

JOHN
  • Options
    eandlcubedeandlcubed Member Posts: 78
    i heard the system doesn't use sonar sensing so if a a dog or anyone suddenly appeared in its path, the car doesn't sense it. but i think the biggest issue is the states is land of litigation. sorry:( ...it took mercedes two years later to bring to the states adaptive cruise control on their s-class. maybe it is good in a sense. let them work out the bugs first.
  • Options
    that does sound like a misconception (urban legend?). i don't see any rational reason for it. i own a 2002 prius and have parked it for over 3 weeks and it starts and drives just fine.
    as for the rattle on the new '04 as review in "automobile" magazine, i think it is common on preproduction model. my '02 does occasionally rattle near the glove box area but only on really rough roads. i don't store anything else in there but the car manual and few napkins.
  • Options
    dupiedupie Member Posts: 22
    John: Have you read any thing about a Green Expo to be in Minnesota in the near future? I had an "E" mail about the Green Expo in Ill. this week. Supposedly on it's way to Minnesota.
    Dupie
  • Options
    little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    According to a 04' Prius sales brochure I got today from a local dealer, the following are listed:
    Basic-36 months/36k miles (all components other than normal wear and maint. items)
    Powertrain-60 months/60k miles (engine, transmission/tansaxle, FWD, seatbelts, airbags)
    Hybrid-related Components - 8 yrs/100k miles (HV battery, batt ctrl module, hybrid ctrl module, inverter with converter assy). It says the batt expected life is 150k miles based on lab bench testing.
    Accessories- 12months regardless of mileage.

Accessories listed were:
    Rear bumper applique (whatever that is)
    Wheel locks
    Auto-dimming rearview mirror with unv. transmitter
    Ashtray
    Carpeted fllor mat/trunk mat
    Cargo net
    Toyota VIP RS3200 system upgrade
    Glass breakage sensor
    6-disc in-dash CD changer
    Frist Aid Kit

It also shows 9 package options.
  • Options
    buffagmbuffagm Member Posts: 21
    hey everyone, I havent really kept track of this thread in a while(lsats), I've heard news that the demand of the 04 Prius is expected to exceed the inital supply. Any truth to this? If I order a car in the next couple of weeks do I have a chance to pick it up with the the next 2 months? Thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    jeep2jettajeep2jetta Member Posts: 53
    ...I think someone had mentioned previously but I was wondering about the roof top antenna on the new Prius. I wonder why Toyota had gone this route instead of a retractable or "in-windshield" design like on my MR2 (in-windshield and retractable). Does anyone know if this antenna is removable/un-screw for when going through a carwash, etc...? Lately, I have seen roof top antenna designs poping up from other manufacturers and personally I think they are ugly. Back in the '80s they were the rage, especially those ugly, mobile phone antennas that people stuck to the roof of their cars even if they did not have a mobile phone installed.

I also noticed that in a few pictures I have seen, the trunk area floor can be lifted up to reveal a hidden storage area, it looks quite large. So, does anyone know where they put the spare tire? Is it one of those "crank and lower" type of mechanism underneath the car?

Just observations...
    Tony.
  • Options
    The spare tire is a "space-saver" tire (aka donut).
    It lives underneath that hidden storage area that
    you're talking about (which is under the carpet/floor
    of the hatch area).

Some photos of a pre-production 2004 are here:
    http://www.newtoyotaparts.com/04prius/

Some low-quality photos of several ACTUAL production
    '04 Prius are here:
    http://members.cox.net/htmlspinr/

(oops, wrong URL on last post...)
  • Options
    thanks mrvadeboncoeur for the great pics !! i notice that the key still has to be put in the ignition. i thoought it is keyless system? this one does not have that option?
    as for the antenna, i know the "old" one can be unscrewed and i am assumed the new one will do the same.
  • Options
    well, you've got the fob. keyless entry, like on
    the current Prius, is the little remote lock/unlock/panic
    button key fob. you can unlock the doors without using
    the mechanical key, while you're walking towards the car.

on the 2004, the fob itself is put into the
    "ignition switch," and not a key. no key turning
    to start the car.

(if the battery dies on the fob, you can use the
    mechanical key to open the doors, and the car itself
    can activate/read the fob that's in the "ignition
    switch" in the dash without the fob's battery.)

However, there is the Smart Entry & Smart Start
    option for the 2004 Prius. The car senses that
    you've got a recognized fob in your pocket, and
    will unlock the doors for you (if you touch the
    door button when opening it). The car
    recognizes the fob that's in your pocket or purse,
    and lets you hit the Start/Power button to start
    the car, without having to put the fob into the
    dash "ignition switch."
  • Options
    ...for the answers to the antenna and spare tire questions. Thanks for the great photo sites too...
  • Options
    thanks for the the explanation...i guess it is similar to the mercedes keyless go. however, mercedes charges an arm and a leg for it. kudos to toyota for keeping the price down on these new tech options :)
    all we need now is the laser adaptive cruise, adaptive zenon headlights and reverse camera on the prius. are you listening toyota?
  • Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,473
    I have a question that I either haven't seen an answer to or have forgotten. On the pictures of the selector that I have seen, the meaning of R, N, and D, are obvious, but what does B stand for?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    ...well, from what I can tell by watching a Japanese Prius video shows that the "B" will activate the regenerative braking mode. This mode will allow you to capture energy from braking and recharge the batteries with it. It also looks like you can switch to this mode while driving (in motion). Anyone else know of a better answer? Please correct me if I am wrong.

The other item I try to figure out is the "P" button right above the selector knob/stick. It looks like it will put the car in "Park". However, also through the video, I remeber seeing once the driver has push this "P" button, she had to also physically push down a "parking brake" pedal to lock the car in parking mode; sort of like pulling the manual brake lever in a traditional car that is located between the front driver and passenger seats. Any thoughts?

One other thing, although I don't smoke, it looks like there are no ashtray or cigarette lighter in the Prius. I guess they figure environmentally minded drivers are not smokers.
  • Options
    "B" is the same thing as on the 2001-2003 Prius.

Think of it as a Low gear on a traditional automatic,
    or like a truck's jack brakes. There's a little
    more regenerative braking (but not much), but mainly
    the engine spins to help slow you down so that you
    don't ride the brakes on a long steep downhill grade.

You don't want to drive around normally in "B"
    mode - you won't coast very well and your MPG will
    go down because of that.

the "P" button is the same as "P" on a regular
    car... sets the parking pawl.

Regenerative braking occurs normally in "D" (drive)
    mode, you don't have to manually select anything
    to get regenerative braking...

As for an ashtray for the 2004, it's a port/dealer
    installed option. PN 08171-47800
  • Options
    ...so, the driver would have to press the "P" button prior to setting the manual foot brake? That is what it looks like in the video. Wonder why they did not just put the "P" on the drive selector lever (above the "B" for example) instead of on a button. I would think that it would be more intuitive since it sort of mimic conventional car gear selector layout. But then again, the Prius is not a conventional car! :-)
  • Options
    ...this may have been discussed previously but when you let the Prius coast what are the advantages?
  • Options
    > when you let the Prius coast what are the advantages?

The engine shuts off. And not just while you are coasting either. If the power demand remains below 10kW, the motor will supply thrust exclusively.

So you can be cruising alone the highway at 65 MPH gliding down a very gentle decline (less than 1%) and the engine stop using fuel. (It will still spin though. 42 MPH is the threshold.) That will increase efficiency while still maintaining the same speed.

JOHN
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    With the Smart Start/Entry, do you have to actually put the gizmo (for the lack of a specific term for this new fob-device) into the dash like in that one set of pictures for the pre-preproduction model? My impression all along has been that you don't plug any recognition device (ie key/fob) into the dash--you only press the Start button.
  • Options
    John, I thought I read somewhere that the threshold for the engine to kick in was higher than 42mph in the new Prius. Maybe I am thinking about the lower threshold for the older Prius.
  • Options
    > do you have to actually put the gizmo into the dash

Nope! :)

You just leave the fob (gizmo) in your pocket or purse.

JOHN
  • Options
    jonesie12ajonesie12a Member Posts: 7
    I was reading the Edmunds review on the 04 Prius and it said that you can get satellite radio as an option? I thought that this wasn't available? Can anyone confirm?
  • Options
    Correct, the threshold for the 2004 Prius is higher. The specs state that Voltage, RPM, Torque of the thrust-motor have all been increased, so we know there's an improvement. However, we don't know what the heck that new threshold is... yet.

Deliveries begin in less than 2 weeks. The proud new owners will gladly research this and report back to us... Hmm, I wonder who will be first? Since I live in the Midwest, it unfortunately won't be me. Those on the West Coast don't have to wait for train transport. So someone out there will likely have the honor.

JOHN
  • Options
    coasting down the road- it earns you more battery "bars" as Motor Trend likes to put it.
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Thanks! That's what I thought but those pictures said "smart start" on them and the guy put the gizmo in the dash. I love this car!
  • Options
    funpilotfunpilot Member Posts: 66
    I am in Virginia and my dealer says I can expect my Prius the first week of November. They only had two orders, both for the fully loaded car, and both are being delivered that week. By then, these boards should be full of reviews. I am especially curious about Bluetooth and the Nav systems.