Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pictures of 2001GM HDs!!!

sovercash1sovercash1 Member Posts: 112
edited March 2014 in GMC
www.wieck.com/public/index.html they have the
best pictures of the 2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4 and 3500
4x4. Type in 2001 HD Sierra and search. Great
pictures. They look like what will be on the 2001
brochures. Does anyone know of another website
with as good or better picture? If you do leave the
address here.
SteveO

Comments

• z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    I had just posted on the duramax post that your link there didn't work and then I found this one!
  • sovercash1sovercash1 Member Posts: 112
    To me the Chevrolet has got to be the best looking truck ever made....

You decide for yourself..

www.pickuptruck.com/html/gmheavy3.html

Man!! Ford is in for a fight.
  • bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    like GM copied the look of the Ford F250. I am typically more GM than any other make, but I see a lot of exterior design copied from the F250 on this new truck, especially from the side view.

Anyone else see this or is it just me?
  • leathal02leathal02 Member Posts: 114
    be you
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    you...

I see no similarity.

It is a much better looking truck than the SD.

- Tim
  • z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    the hood bulge looks more like the GM 1967-1972 trucks than anything else.
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    Saw the pix. I personally prefer the front end treatment of the GMC over the Chevy. It's similar to the Ford look.
    Rich
    about the Hood... Next week we will have a lot to talk about. The Auto Show starts and GM is bringing all out kinds of new trucks, The Terradyne,Avalanche, And the BEST OF SHOW Chevrolet/GMC 2500 and 3500s. It should be great.

SteveO
  • nasvikingnasviking Member Posts: 43
    From looking at the pictures, is Chev. offering the 2500 in full size regular doors VS. the 4 door "suicide" style? That would be most excellent!
  • nasvikingnasviking Member Posts: 43
    Of course I meant for 2001? I'd wait for that.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    Any idea what kind of mpg they are expecting from the 8100? It will be interesting to compare how Chevy's really Big V-8 compares to the Ford and Dodge V-10s. It's got the most horses and torque. If the mpg and torque curve match up, Chevy does indeed appear to have another awesome gas engine.
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    Based on GM's track record, I'd guess the mileage will be pretty good for such a monster engine. It's probably going to be at least as good as the 7.4L vortec.
    -powerisfun
    It is hard to say..... Powerisfun is probably close on his mileage...
    If anything it should get a little better than the 454.. They have improved the Breathing of the 8100 considerably...

More Power better mileage, I love it!!!
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    What you say about the breathing improvement makes sense since it seems to be one of the biggest ways to improve power and mpg. I took a look at the Gale Banks Power Pak while back and two of the main components were ram air and headers. I'm oversimplifying their system a little, but some of the major improvements come from sucking more air in and getting rid of it more efficiently. The gains they seem to get are pretty impressive and it supposedly adds to the life of the engine.
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    I wonder how many people will want the 8.1L over the Duramax 6.6L. Both of them are looking to be best of class engines (for maybe a year or two till the Ford or Dodge upgrades).
    A supercharged 7.4L would beat both of them though for a lot less money (assuming you already own a truck with 7.4L). You'd have torque of ~600 lb-ft and power of ~430 hp. Of course, you'd have to pay for the premium fuel and you wouldn't get all the other new gizmos. I'm also not sure the transmission would let you use all that torque, either. Oh well, it's fun to dream anyway.
    -powerisfun
  • dt466dt466 Member Posts: 1
    Is it true that GM is putting plastic boxes on the 1 tons to help with fuel mileage. I think that this would be a significant improvement. Todays modern plastics would be tuff enough. Can anybody help me resolve this.
    I have only heard about the 2001 Half-Tons having the composite-plastic bed. I will ask around and see what I can find out.

SteveO
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    i think the composite bed is an option, not standard. i thought i saw a picture of a HD with the caption saying composite bed. I'd want one. they'd be scratch and dent resistant, totally maintenance free. and save a couple of hundred pounds, which ultimately increases payload translates to better performance.
  • sudsheadsudshead Member Posts: 3
    to be Isuzu's and very, nice.
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    since gm owns isuzu....
    Correct.. Isuzu Designed the Duramax 6600. GM will build it in Moraine Ohio the plant is 40% owned by GM and 60% owned buy Isuzu. They will use USA union Workers.

Hope that helps

Steve
  • drl64drl64 Member Posts: 11
    I read the Duramax/Allison combo would only be offered with the 3.73 rear end. Does anyone know if you GM will offer the Vortec 8100/Allison combo with a 4.10 axle ratio?
    Anybody heard when we can place orders for the 2001 HD's?
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    unless they are changing their gearsets, which I doubt, I would expect to be able to get a 3.73, 4.10, and 4.56, possibly even as low as 5.13. the current trucks offer 4.10 and 4.56, and the 3500HD's offer the 5.13.
    You can order an HD starting May 8th.... that is the Official starting date...

I'm not sure what gear ratios the Vortec 6000 or Vortec 8100 will be available with.. but I will find out...The Duramax will only come with 3.73 is correct...
  • sdpiersonsdpierson Member Posts: 69
    The current 2500 4x4 is 8600 GVWR.
    What is the 2500HD GVWR?
    Are the 2001's going to offer the same ext. cab 4x4 shortbed with the new 325HP 6.0?
    Are all the 2500's going to have a 2" body lift or is that just going to be on the 2500 HD?
    Anyone out there have this info or knows where I could get it?
    Thanks
    The GVWR for the 2001HD is 9200 Lbs...

Yes, the 2500HD will come in Extended Cab with a 6.5 bed.. It will also come in Crewcab with a 6.5 bed.. 4x4 and 2x4.....

The 3500 series is 11,400 GVWR and the 3500 Chassis cabs GVWR is 11,400 for 2x4 and 12,000 4x4...

And the Vortec 6000 will be available in all the Cab configurations that the Duramax and Vortec 8100..

As far as I know all the 2500HDs and 3500 series will sit about 2" Higher than a Half ton..
    That's some great information!!!!
    Where do you get it?
    I'm still a little confused.
    The current GVWR is 8600lbs.
    Will I be able to get a 2001 4x4 2500 extendedcab 6.5' bed 8600 GVWR without the 2" body lift? Or are all the 2500's going to be 9200 GVWR with a 2" lift?
    I also saw you wrote that the official starting date is May 8, is that the first day you can order one or is that the day they will start building the trucks?
    Thanks for the info!!!!
    Thanks for sharing the specs on the HDs!
    With the 2500HD's having a 600lb greater GVWR than the 2000 light duty 2500 (9200lb vs. 8600lb), does this mean the payload is 600lb higher? Or does the truck weight, presumably higher on the HDs, take away from the payload capacity?
    Sdpierson,

The light duty 2500 will not change it is 8600GVWR.. GM will have TWO 2500 series for 2001 a 2500LD(Light-Duty)= 8,600 GVWR
    and 2500HD(Heavy-Duty)=9,200 GVWR
    The Cab configurations will not change for 2001 for the 2500LD series..
    May 8th is when the Dealerships can start placing orders.. They will start building the trucks in August..

drl64
    The 2001HD trucks are a little heavier, so you will need to factor that into your GVWR..
    But the HD series has a GCWR of 22,000 lbs.. The 2500LD(Light-Duty) is only rated at 16,000 lbs..And they don't have the Option of the Duramax 6600, Vortec 8100, or the GREAT 1000 Series Allison Transmission..

SteveO
  • gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    You sound pretty up on this stuff. Any real word yet on the cost premium for the HD?, the Duramax?, and the Allison? Right now I want one so bad, I'm afraid to hear what it will cost compared to a comparably equiped 2000 2500HD w/ the 6.0L, which is pricey enough. I'm guessing $3K to $5K more.
    That would be:
    $500 more for the HD
    $500 more for the Allison than the current auto
    and probably $4,000 or more for the Duramax (judging from the Powerstroke & Cummins)

Hopefully the Duramax option will be less since the Ford and Dodge gas engines are so inferior, they can afford to charge that much more for the diesels.

But my best guess, comparing a current Sierra 2500HD w/ auto, 4x4, tow.... = invoice of around $29,500,
    Equivalent finished 2001 2500HD w/ Duramax/Allison would be pushing $35,000. Just my guess.
    Everyone wants to talk to you!!! THE ANSWER MAN!!
    So, the light duty 2500 will have the 325hp 6.0 and no body lift. Is that right?
    Thanks again!!!
    The Light-Duty 2500 will not change from 300hp @4800 and 355Ftlbs @4000 and will not have a Lift..

The lift on the HDs is for installing the Bigger Allison.
    But the 325HP 6.0L in the 2500HD and 3500 series will still have the 2" lift.. And frontend treatment..
    Did that answer your question?

gwmoore,
    I have been told the Duramax 6600 will be a little less than a Pstroke.. The Allison will be a little more than the 4L80E.. We can only wait and see!

Steve O
    Yes it did answer my question.
    Seems strange they would make 2 different 6.0's.
    Thank you for your knowledge!!
    I was hoping for a 325hp. Maybe I'll try to buy now since there will be no change.
    I am looking to buy a gmc 2500 4x4 extendedcab 4 door shortbed. I will be loading about 2500lbs. into the truck so a 1/2 ton will not work for me.
    I tow a 22' boat that weighs about 6000lbs, so I believe the 8600GVWR will be just right.
    Some of the dealers in my area are saying they can not get that truck this year. Others are saying they will not make it after this year, and can not get it this year, so either wait for the 2500hd or buy a 1/2 ton.
    Still another dealer says they can order one this year.
    The only thing I wanted to wait for was a 325hp.
    I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.
    Do you have any suggestions who I could talk to?
    Thanks again for your input!!!
    I'm in a similar situation. Want to carry about a 3000lb camper plus tow a 6000+ lb boat. I'd be just over the weight limit for the current LD 2500, but OK I think for a 2500HD. Was planning for a 1-ton, but don't want the dually. I want that Allison, so my decision is on the Vortec 8100 or the Duramax. The wife hates the noise of the SuperDuty's Powerstroke, but they say the Duramax is quieter. Problem is, no way to here one by May 8 when I want to order.
    I know what you mean by noise....and stink...
    I currently own an older ('86) ford diesel.
    When I purchased it diesel was 85 cents a gallon and regular gas was $1.15. It was worth the stink and the noise.
    Now diesel is usually priced between regular and midgrade, here in Calif. It's not worth it to me anymore.
    The powerstroke is quieter than mine and has many times more power, but it still makes more noise than any gas engine I've heard. And you still have to fill your tank, get it on your hands, and on your shoes because your standing in someone elses spilt fuel.
    I feel if you always have a big load, or pull a trailer often, diesel is the way to go.
    For me, that's not too often, so I'm going gas.
    My wife cann't wait!!!!
    Do you know where I can get a torque and hp graph chart for the 6.0 liter 325HP?
    Thanks, Sean
  • mozeemozee Member Posts: 12
    Aren't any of you guys who will order the D-max afraid of the GM curse with diesels?Im not sure but I think the average life will be 200K on the engine.If that is correct-the engine option should cost no more than the current 6.5.The vortec v8 can go 200K with ease and its included.I think the resale on these will be low as compared to the Cummins/6spd dodge which is rated for 4ooK at 66000 lbs GVWR.If Isuzu is involved in this engine,you can guarrantee a rebuild will be big $$$$.Add the throw away aluminum heads,more $$$$$.I see a 10000+rebuild in future easy.The way Dodge guys drive-they are out of warranty in a year or 2,if you work GM hard,and you can do 30-50K a year easy, will you be able to get parts in a timely fashon?They will be $$$.Who will handle them,not many big truck GM dealers around here,lots of Cummins dealers.I hope all who buy this have the best of luck with it and the allison behind it,as for me Ill save money now and go with 6.0 in 2500 and take a wait and see approach to the D-max.
    For MPG, I think I read the Duramax is supposed to be 15% or so more efficient than the current 6.5 diesel. What does that transate to in numbers? Also, any guestimate on what the Vortec 8100's mpg might be? Also, a question about a feature of the new Allision 1000: what exactly is a parking paw?

Lastly,did anyone see the article in Truck Trend's April issue comparing a current GMC/Chevy 2500 against a Ford Super-Duty with a V10? Regardless of opinion on which is better, I thought it was a mismatch - they should be comparing the Ford F-250 with the F150 body style to GM's light duty 3/4 ton. This summer compare the new GMC/Chevy HD with the Vortec 8100 against the SuperDuty 3/4 ton and let apples be compared to apples...
    mozee,
    Where do you get a 200K mile life on the Duramax? I'ld put good money it will be much better than that. Comparing the Duramax to past GM diesel offerings is not logical. Isuzu makes excellent diesels, heck, their tiny old turbo diesel that were in their compact pickups and the Trooper last over 500K (friend of mine had the little pickup with over 500K - no rebuild, everything else falling apart). GM has to have a different philosophy this time around with the diesel, and Isuzu's influence certainly helps.

sdpierson,
    The other thing to consider is that as fuel prices (unleaded and diesel) go up, the better mileage makes a bigger difference. I don't care much about break-even points, but the overall higher fuel prices should shorten the period.

In the future, a diesel substitute created from natural gas and/or coal, called "Syntroleum" may become available. This fuel has the same combustion characteristics as diesel, but has no sulfur and low carbon. The fuel has already been used with Dodge in the Cummins, and reportedly worked well. The fuel is not cost-effective until oil prices reach the levels they are currently at, but this fuel at the pumps may become reality sooner than later if oil levels stay high or environmental restrictions get tighter. Upside, a less stinky/smokey fuel, and prices should be less volatile since domestic natural gas reserves are so good. There are several major oil companies backing this technology, including Texaco, Enron, ...
    The 15% is actually 20% better.. It translates into better than a Cummins or a Powerstroke..

As for Average Engine life... GM specified to Isuzu that the Duramax had to have an Average expected life of at LEAST 200K with out a Major Component Failure (High pressure Fuel Pump,Piston,Turbo,Water Pump, Heads, Block, Oil Pump) thoses things are considered Major Components..

The Duramax is not like any Diesel engine you have ever seen.. It is MUCH better...

Steve O
    I forgot.....

It is a BIG gear in the Back of the Trans for PARK.. It has a Bracket(Parking Pawl)and it rides on Rollers that locks in the gear for park postition..
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." it will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.