Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan vs. Ford F150

Comments

• 04f150l4x404f150l4x4 Member Posts: 33
    Poser......

No. 1 Truck is FORD....period. That information has been put out. You are a Nissan used car salesman trying to sell a poor quality truck and should not even compare the Ford F150 to the limp Nissan Titan.

I read your other comparable forums such a Dodge vs Titan. You where slammed there...
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    is a NEW Nissan and FORD salesman who, although biased in favor of Nissan, is offering usefull info here.

What do you do?
    This forum is a dead issue. The same arguments are in the Dodge vs Titan forum. A small group of you think Titan is an American Truck because it is built in Mississippi. WRONG. A small group of you classify the Nissan Titan as a truck. WRONG, it is a minivan with a bed. I would never buy and the majority of the American people would never buy this import minivan with a bed.

For all the potential buyers out there, buy a FORD, CHEVY, GMC or DODGE pickup. You will not be disappointed. Support America and our freedoms.
  • twinbladesztwinbladesz Member Posts: 104
    According to all the Mags. They see it as a very viable "truck" with a great engine and powertrain. What minivan can tow 6k? Not even the GM Astro/Safari Twins are rated tow over 5800lbs. Dude you need to get off this American made stuff. Both trucks are good. Both have their places. The F150 can haul a bit more in the bed. The Titan can haul butt. Which it routinely beats all other half tons in empty acceleration along with towing acceleration.

America is based on freedoms to buy whatever you like legally. I will buy whatever I deem is the best bang for my hard earned buck be it Domestic of foreign.
    This forum is a dead issue. The same arguments are in the Dodge vs Titan forum. A small group of you think Titan is an American Truck because it is built in Mississippi. WRONG. A small group of you classify the Nissan Titan as a truck. WRONG, it is a minivan with a bed. I would never buy and the majority of the American people would never buy this import minivan with a bed.

For all the potential buyers out there, buy a FORD, CHEVY, GMC or DODGE pickup. You will not be disappointed. Support America and our freedoms.
    Dude I say to you get some help LOL. If you think a Titan is a minivan with a bed you are sadly mistaken. What minivan you know of has 305 HP and 369lbs/ft of torque? Come on man get real. The Titan is as real of a truck as the Ram, F150, Silverado, and Sierra. The only truck that doesn't have at least the engine or tow ratings to compare is the Tundra. Which should be getting dropped for a bigger version sometime soon if that concept from the Auto show is any indication of what Toyota is planning. Most of the complaints on the Titan are the exhaust, and the styling and some cabin squeaks. The Dodge gets a ding on the smaller interior space. The GMs get dinged about dated interiors although quadra steer is a nifty option. Tundra gets dinged on its small engine and tow ratings. The F150 is getting dinged on the weak feeling engine. They all have their pluses and minuses. This is about vehicle to vehicle comparison. Not whose American or not.
    TOKYO - Nissan Motor Co.'s Titan pickup is selling at a slower pace than expected. But Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn isn't panicking.

He is confident that the full-sized pickup will achieve its annual sales target of 100,000. He is not planning to boost its marketing budget.

"One hundred thousand units per year for the Titan is something that we consider achievable," Ghosn said here last week.

But he declined to say when the Titan would reach its sales goal. "As long as I see the numbers moving into the right direction, I know that ultimately we'll reach 100,000 units per year. We're not in a hurry."

Nissan sold 50,506 Titans in the United States in the first eight months of this year. That is an average monthly rate of 6,313, short of the 8,333 a month needed to reach 100,000 a year, unadjusted for seasonal differences. Titan sales started in December 2003.

Ghosn said he won't spend more marketing money on the truck. "We want growth and profitability - both," he said. "I want to preserve profitability. I want to preserve the brand."

He also has no immediate plans to develop more Titan variants beyond the two versions, an extended cab and a four-door cab. More variations "may be some ideas coming in the future. But for the moment, we need to compete with what we have," he said.

The base 2004 Titan, with an extended cab and rear-wheel drive, has a sticker price of $23,050, including the destination charge.

The Titan got off to a tough start. The pickup, built at the Canton, Miss., plant with other models, fared poorly in the Initial Quality Study by J.D. Power and Associates released in April. The Titan, the redesigned Quest minivan and Armada SUV scored last in their segments.

-------------------
    Yuppies don't have loyalty.
    They have useful relationships
    and meaningful encounters.
    •William Kristol

--------------------
    A yuppie opened the door of his Titan, when suddenly a car came along and hit the door, ripping it off completely. When the police arrived at the scene, the yuppie was complaining bitterly about the damage to his precious Titan.

"Officer, look what they've done to my delicate Titan minivan!" he whined.

"You yuppies are so materialistic, you make me sick!" retorted the officer. "You're so worried about your stupid Titan, you didn't even notice that your left arm was ripped off."

"Oh my gaaawd...," replied the yuppie, finally noticing the bloody left shoulder where his arm once was, "Where's my Titan watch?!!!"
  • i006129i006129 Member Posts: 71
    Which UAW local do you run?
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    However, one poster as of late has made this forum a joke.

As most any other poster on Edmunds I am proud to be an American. That means I have choices, the Titan or the F-150.
      The continual baiting by one member here is quite tiring and I would urge my fellow community members to stop responding to his/her posts.

Maybe we can get back to some useful discussions about the pros and cons of each truck.
    I have been close to buying an 04 F-150. Just haven't done the deal because I am worried that Ford will drop another $1000-2000 rebate on the truck in October.
    Also, anyone who has taken the Ford financing cash: How long do you have to keep the loan before refinancing? Is there any specific language in the finance contract.
    I can't imagine the incentives going down October 1st, hopefully they will go up a bit.

I have been following local dealer inventories closely. There are 5 local dealerships that have a combined 20 trucks that would fit my needs. Inventory just doesn't seem to be moving so imagine the deals will have to increase to move the trucks.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I know it's easy to get off into the side stuff, but let's make an effort to keep the discussion on the trucks and off of each other.

Thanks for your cooperation and participation.
  • foureyes3foureyes3 Member Posts: 165
    Well, I agree with your statements. I looked at an f150 and it had a really nice exterior. I have pretty much made up my mind on the Titan. The interior was very comfortable in the Titan. Good thing I decided to wait until they started having the close out clearance sales. I am hoping the quality have been cleared in the other 04 that have come out. The 05 should be much better since it the second year of the Titan.They have deals now on Titans with rebates and no payments up until next year. The F150 is a pretty good truck. It has such a diversity of styles to chose from on its list. I do love the interior space on the Titan's crew cab. There is definitely plenty of room on the front and the back. It is going to be hard for truck salespeople to sell their trucks because of gas prices. This should give the consumer plenty of room to negotiate a good price. I don't really believe there is a flawless truck. I do think the Titan and the F150 are great trucks. F150 just had more of a heritage and tradition of being the number 1 pickup. F150 engine is somewhat of a concern for me. I do like to drive my vehicle somewhat in an outgoing manner. I do like to hit open road running in my vehicle with confidence that I keep up with whatever runs up to me. I think the F150 should have had the 5.4 liter as standard. Then they could have had bigger engine as optional. Or they could have made lighter version of the F150 with 5.4 liter engine. I am not going to be towing anything everytime I drive a truck. Sometimes, you just want enjoy the thrill of driving truck and enjoying the power and smoothness. F150 is mainly for people who focus on doing a lot of towing. The Titan is for people who just want to enjoy their truck and at times do some towing. The Titan is not really a work truck.It can used this way at times. It is really more for pure enjoyment of having a truck.
    I can agree with you. The Titan does have more oomph and get up and go compared to the F150. But the F150 is more customizable when you want that perfect setup. I will agree that gas prices are hurting truck and SUV sales. I agree with phkck and will ignore that member posting gibberish. If I were to decide to get a pickup then it would be between the F150 and the Titan.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    if this forum is a dead issue...why do you stay?

BTW...i sell both nissans AND fords. i grew up in detroit, and have been a ford guy all my life. the difference is that i have both products on a day-to-day basis. i get to compare them all the time, and to me, the titan is a superior truck in all measurable ways.
    I do appreciate having and insider's perspective on the Titan - F-150 issue.
    And yes, gas mileage is a concern. It is hard to justify going from 28mpg to 14mpg to my wife or tree hugging parents for that matter.
    Would love to have the utility of a truck again!
    her parents wont let you get a truck?!?!?!

dude...we have to work on the fortitude of part of your anatomy...lol.
    her parents wont let you get a truck?!?!?!

dude...we have to work on the fortitude of part of your anatomy...lol.

HAHAHAHAHA.
    Well, you are going to be one riding and paying for the truck. My folks have tried to talk me out of getting a Titan and get an F150. My family is Ford bound. I own a dodge car and nissan van. Unless, they are paying the note then go after what makes you happy. I also plan on getting that new dodge magnum. It best to make sure you are the one that's happy with your purchases. My wife and I we do discuss major purchases. I am the breadwinner of the household. So, my decisions usually are the final decisions. Shop around and check some of the prices. They have some really good deals out there for the Titan and F150. You don't have to get one right now. But, I do like the F150 interior better than Titan's interior. I bet you would be surprised at all the good deals out there for trucks because of the gas prices. You might not want to get the four wheel drive. Some people don't know how to shift it out of four wheel drive back the two wheel drive. A Titan salesman showed me the difference to save your gas. I think it is 14mpg in the city and 18mpg on the interstate. Some people have reported 20mpg. Trucks are useful and you can always get your money worth because of all the versatility. A truck is an investment not just a toy. I think suvs are toys.
    My parents are the big tree huggers in the family. I certainly respect their opinions but make my own choices.
    Now we are actually getting some good discussion on this thread.
    I work with quite a few people who have family members who work in KC Ford plants. The prices they are negotiating with the A plan seem pretty awesome. I have found I can already beat the X-plan offers with my limited negotiating skills.
    I am glad that I am not a car salesmen currently, looks as though the inventory is just not moving.
    I grew up in Denver in my early driving days and feel very comfortable with 4WD. In fact I don't think I would buy a full size truck without 4WD. Not something I need that often but glad to have it when I want to go off the beaten path.
    x-plan, since it is available to everyone, is about 1% under invoice.

there is no negotiating on a-plan. it is set by ford...so dont go praising peoples' negotiating skills if they have a-plan...lol.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I have owned many brands of cars in my driving lifetime. Ford products & Nissan products have always done well for me, and are favorites of mine.

I have two neighbors with Armadas, and one neighbor with an 04 F-150. I asked them both recently about their experience with their trucks. Here's the real poop.

ARMADA NEIGHBOR #1 - He's a Urologist. Loves his Armada. Has some squeaks & rattles, and had a few minor "things to work out", but nothing major in his mind. Bear in mind, that he traded in a Suburban, so he's not used to perfection - this is a big improvement in his words.

ARMADA NEIGHBOR #2 - He's an electrical contractor. Loves his Armada even more! His was a very early production model, and he has had some defects that needed to be handled, but nothing that has put him off on the truck either. However, he also switched from a Tahoe, so he wasn't used to excellence either.

F-15O NEIGHBOR - He owns an electronics shop. He also has an 04 Dodge Ram, no hemi. Says the Dodge is tinny compared to the Ford, smaller inside, and less substantial, but also cheaper. As for the F-150, he has had -0- defects, and is completely satisfied with it.

My Conclusion? Both the Titan/Armada and F-150 are great versions of the same theme. The Ford is probably put together a little better at the inception. History would comfort me that it will be a good long term truck. OTOH, the Titan/Armada, whichever, is a great design, and really drives well. Maybe even more fun to drive than the Ford. But Infiniti/Nissan isn't known for their consistency in quality - some cars and years are better than others. And the French who own them, well, they're European, where quality is still not completely understood to the Japanese level. Between the two, I would bet on the Ford. But there's no reason to think the Titan won't be a good long term performer yet. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • compscicompsci Member Posts: 5
    I was all set on getting a Titan SE Crew because of more safety features, all aluminum engine, good value, and history of quality in the brand. I had a rock solid '88 Nissan Pathfinder. Then I started seeing messages in the Edmunds forums about problems in the Armada and Titan and then came the low rating in the JD Power Initial Quality Survey. It appeared to me that Nissan was trying to get away with their reputation for quality while building vehicles of lesser quality. It would be a while before the public would know better. The articles I read in car magazines had the same theme of the Nissans as having a cheap look to them as far as interior materials were concerned. Some say that all the problems can be fixed with minor changes but I think some may not be fixed until a major redesign. Profit at the expense of quality may be the theme of the Nissan CEO. So I'm basically distrustful of Nissan's at this time.
  • quadrunner501quadrunner501 Member Posts: 94
    Yawn....

now go drive one...a crew cab with DVD entertainment, GPS Navigation, Sunroof, side curtain airbags, utili-track, 6 cd 350 watt audio with subwoofer, heated seats, mirrors, adjustable pedals, back-up sensors, tire pressure monitor, traction control, vehicle stability, it doesn't get any richer than that in trucks.

...and don't take your wallet or your trade.
  • derykfderykf Member Posts: 9
    Part of the problem is the perception created by saying the Titan interior looks cheap compared to the F150. People have taken that to mean that the quality is crap and that isn't the case. Ford took their interior to a Lincoln like level which is great for the people who want to pay a premium price. However, for the rest of us, the Titan has a very nice interior, controls are solid, seats are comfortable, and in the case of my Titan I don't have a bunch of squeeks and rattles. One of the big problems with trucks today is that steady march toward $45k. I don't think the extra $3k plus that the comparable F150 would have cost me is worth the difference in interiors. Everything else about the Titan seems to be as good or better than the F150
  • mcscjtmcscjt Member Posts: 17
    I must agree that the F150 interior is nice, but the Titan is in no way "cheap". Yes the dash has a lot of plastic but i don't want and won't pay for real wood trim in a pick up truck.

I also have a Lexus GX which has been praised by the same reviewers that note the Titan plastic. The Lexus does have real wood trim and real leather trim but it has some plastic also...all cars have plastic or a synthetic rubber in the dash.

The Titan dash is easy to clean also. Dust never seems to collect on it. The captain seats are spacious and comfortable. The memory seats and adjustable pedals rock. Haven't had to use the heat button yet but I'm sure it'll be nice this winter.
    A postscript to #886:

Dr. across the street with Armada acquired a toy hauler last weekend out of state, and went up to pick it up. Towing it home with his Armada, he was telling me last night, empty, has caused him to believe that he will need to get an Excursion with a Diesel to properly tow this trailer. Again, it was empty, and 35 ft. long. Not a monster.

He said he got 5 MPG towing it with the Endurance V-8, and had to pedal up the hills, and that the Armada wasn't up to the task. FWIW.
    a 35 foot ANYTHING is immense!

sounds to me like the RV salesman told him it would be OK. ask AKANGL about RV salesmen...lol.

the other thing to remember, is that to tow 9000 lbs, you need a class IV weight-distributing hitch. what probably happened is the tongue weight was too high. the weight-distributing hitch helps out with that alot.
    Did I write 35 ft? Yes I did, my bad. It's 25 ft, so not quite so immense. But anyway....it's just a V-nose enclosed cargo trailer he's going to put his quads in for transportation. And it was completely empty, so no where near 9000lbs.
    The Armada has a much shorter wheelbase than a pickup and coil springs in the rear. Moving to a vehicle with a longer wheelbase helps a lot. Weight distributing hitches and anti-sway bars are also necessary. I towed a 29 foot Travel Trailer with a 99 Expedition which has a fairly short wheelbase, 119" and found it to be adequate but it was moved around a little bit by wind gusts but not such that it was unsafe, it just made driving more difficult. Maybe the ball height on the Armada was too low such that a lot of the trailer weight was on the hitch rather than its own wheels.
    "it was moved around a little bit by wind gusts"

the VDC on the armada and titan doesnt allow that or downhill push to happen.

"Maybe the ball height on the Armada was too low such that a lot of the trailer weight was on the hitch rather than its own wheels."

thats alot of the problem too, many times.
    I don't know that VDC would be necessary. It was just that I had to steer a bit more. The trailer never got to point of swaying such that I had to push the brake controller to stop the trailer from swaying back and forth. I do think the stability control would be a great safety feature to have if truck and trailer were going too fast downhill or around a corner. I think a wide stance, long wheelbase, solid frame, and heavy duty suspension, help keep the drive with a trailer more relaxed. I also think it wise to have a vehicle that can tow far above what will be towed, not close as an trailer dealer might try to push you.
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    You do not need an Excursion. The Titan/Armada will pull 25ft with little problem as long as it is equipped right. Anything over (or around) 25ft needs a WD hitch. F-350 or Titan... A WD is needed. The Titan (the Armada a tad bit less) will pull ANYTHING up to 9400#(depends on model) better than any Ford (F-150 and Exursion) at the same weight. Ya just have to make sure that is is properly equipped.
    it may not be necessary, but it DOES help out alot. it would negate the need for that 'extra steering'.
    wasn't complaining about the handling pulling the trailer, just the lack of enough grunt. That's why he wants a Diesel.
    If the good doctor wants the most, the diesels got the grunt (torque) and the vehicles they are available in on are heavy duty trucks. He probably would forget he was towing something. It would seem that a big block V8 in the gm's or the v10 in the ford's would be plenty though. Diesels cost an extra 5 to 6 grand, only available in huge trucks, and are noisier. For it me it would come down to how much towing versus driving around without something in tow. The Excursion was never a good riding vehicle. It certainly wouldn't be anywhere as nice riding as an Armada. The Yukon Denali XL with a longer wheelbase, and a 6 liter V8 may be an acceptable choice but that tows a max of 8,000 pounds.
    I will definitely get stability control in my next vehicle. It will likely have widespread availability by then because it is an obvious key safety feature especially useful in the winter on icy roads.
    Saw the GM commercial tonight and read at other sources that Ford is going to follow suit with 72 month 0% APR and rumors of no money down.
    This sale is to be Sept 26 - 30th.
    Right now I know there are a lot of 04 trucks on the lots in KC.
    Imagine only a percentage of buys will qualify for the 0% though.
    72 month financing is insane, no matter WHAT the rate.
    I disagree, bowke. It's free money - so the amortization is irrelevant. Patricularly if you keep your car forever. It just spreads the principle way out, but doesn't cost you more in finance charges. I actually see lots of sanity in this, and using the difference to invest in something that appreciates.
    "Patricularly if you keep your car forever."

granted...but what about the other 98% of the car-buying public?

they cant even THINK of getting out until around 5-5 1/2 years, especially with ford and GM products.

people were convinced after 9/11 that the 0% boom would erradicate negative equity, but its become even more of an epidemic since then. 72 month financing is the WAY wrong answer.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    NV,

If you're like me and keep vehicles for ten years then I agree with you. If, however, you are prone to trade in the third or fourth years and have financed with nothing down, you will likely be upside down with respect to resale value, meaning the resale value will often times be less than what you owe. This effect varies, of course, depending on the vehicle.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • jeffczjeffcz Member Posts: 2
    I am considering both the Titan and F150 Lariat. Would like to know if anyone might have the date for the '05 Titan's to hit the dealer. I understand there are some improvements on the '05 and that some of the quality control issues Nissan has had have been addressed. Love the Ford interior, but really enjoy driving the Titan.
    noone knows of any product changes, but quality changes are constant. 2005s should begin arriving in about 3-5 weeks.
    Will the deals be better for the 04s once the 05s hit the lots? When exactly did they start making these quality changes? What's the earliest date on 04 you should buy to match the quality changes? Is it true that some dealers are promoting no payments until sometime next year? Is that a ripoff or what?
    "Will the deals be better for the 04s once the 05s hit the lots?"

well, invoice prices wont change, and rebates are not scheduled to change either, so your deal is up to you.

"When exactly did they start making these quality changes?"

thats like asking "when will we win the war?"

they are always making changes. there is no set VIN # that determines one build to another.

"What's the earliest date on 04 you should buy to match the quality changes?"

see my last answer.

"Is it true that some dealers are promoting no payments until sometime next year?"

thats a dealer thing. its probably legit, but you still accrue interest in the meantime.
    I get that, Dusty. I'm just saying, from a consumer point of view, this is the cheapest way to finance a new truck there is. Of course, there are some stipulations, you keep it for the full term, is one of them.
    Are the 05s going to be priced higher than the 04s? Do you think it would be better to wait for the 05s because of the quality issues with the 04s?
    i dont think there will be a defined line where quality is improved. its a gradual thing. i would recommend grabbing a late-production '04 and taking the incentives.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    With an extended warranty and some rosary beads...
This discussion has been closed.