Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-7X

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Saab 9-2X face slapped onto a Buick Ranier with a different badge. And a higher price tag, I bet. Oh yeah, and that ignition on the floor.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    I'll see what I can put together once more pics are released, right now there are only three of pretty much the same angle.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Thanks man!
    I can't wait to see the difference between a 9-7X and a Ranier.
    Still only three, it's getting late.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    Was just reading in today's LA Times that they're recalling the SRX for some major default -- I forget what exactly, probably something to do with braking. And in the last two years, Caddi has had to recall a lot of their new vehicles. Like 100K+. Just FYI as I see many folks here talking about it in the same breath as the 9-7x.
    (This is why I jumped ship from my American car -- all the darn recalls!)
    which American car did you jump ship from and which Japanese, German or Korean car did you jump into?
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    It's a Saab front end, slapped on a re-badged Bravada/Rainier! Looks sharp.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I like it better than my wife's Bravada. I'll bet the assembly quality / interior will be better also.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7012&sid=18- - 1&n=157

Wonder if the starter will be beside the shifter?
    looks fine, but the price tag of $37,000 is a little high.
    It's ok, but I'm not stunned because I was actually expecting this: a rebadge..again. But for $37,000 I can get something from a more safety features, a better crash test rating, and better gas mileage.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Wow, I am amazed how well Saab designed the 9-7 to look exactly like a Bravada with a 9-3 nose!!! What'd that take, a late night at the studio to come up with???

Yet another absolutely pointless concept from Saab... Don't bother next time.

What's next a Saab Aveo?
    Introducing the all-new 2005 SAAB 9-1X! In keeping with SAAB's spirited performance, the new 9-1X is powered by a 1.5L inline-4 producing 105 powerful horses. Also in keeping with SAAB's famous Swedish safety, the 9-1X also features two airbags! And get this: the 9-1X is the only car in its class to offer leather seating surfaces. The all-new SAAB 9-1X: Powering SAAB to the State of Independence.

LOL Sorry, it was just too hard to not do!
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Yup, take a mediocre marshmallow SUV with an interior fit for a Cavalier, throw a Saab nose on it and call it a day... all from the largest carmaker in the industry.

So much for independence...
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    I guess you didn't look at the new interior. Just a little bit better than a Cavalier.

But how can anyone take what you say about GM products seriously when you show your bias in your screen name?
    If the build quality is better and the interior materials are better, GM will sell lots. I love our Bravada but there are a few cheap parts/ little build quality issues that should not be on a $45K truck (Canadian bucks that is).

I like the look alot and I could see migrating to one after the lease is done on the Bravada. That said, my wife wants to go smaller with a Equinox so who knows.
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    ... Thus far, it's better than I thought it would be. I haven't seen rear photos (the parts of the GM models that have been least differentiated) or interior photos (are they on the web anywhere?).

Although I hate that this is being done to Saab, the brand has dug itself this hole and, assuming this SUV is priced realistically, I think it might actually sell enough to accomplish its mission of helping keep the brand on life support until its true product transplant happens later in the decade.

- Bret
    All pics:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/57548

And don't knock the Aveo's safety! It just got the highest front crash test ratings of any car in its class. Not that Saab should come near that Chevwoo though...
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    looks so much better than the others. The chrome exhaust tips look very nice. The Trailblazer and its other counterparts rear ends look so bad. You really notice the tire hanging underneath and the rather large muffler hanging down. What are the sales goals Saab has for this vehicle? I would guess around 15k per year - that should be a pretty attainable goal. Hopefully they don't over price it. If you ask me the Rainier is about $2k over where it should be.
    On another note pricing for the 05 STS is out. Very competitive.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    ...to base the safety features of the Saab on what's available in the Chevy.

From the press release:

On top of its well-mannered vehicle dynamics, the Saab 9-7X features a comprehensive standard safety package, including:

Dual-stage frontal air bags
    Passenger sensing system
    Rollover sensing system
    Head curtain side airbags;
    Front seatbelt pretensioners with load limiters
    Front seat occupants belt buckle-up reminder.
    During a frontal impact, the standard dual stage frontal airbags allow the Sensing and Diag-nostic Module (SDM) to choose a high or low inflation level based on crash severity when the seats are positioned toward the rear of the seat track for taller occupants. However, when the seats are positioned toward and near the front of the seat track, as for small occupants seated closer to the airbag, a switch in the seat track informs the SDM and limits the airbag to a less aggressive inflation level.

A passenger sensing system (PSS) is used to automatically switch the right front air bag on or off, based on the passenger’s weight and the type of pressure on the seat. The PSS combines inputs from a pressure sensor on a bladder located in the seat and a belt tension switch to de-cide whether the airbag should be suppressed or enabled. An indicator in the rear view mirror signals whether the passenger airbag is "on" or "off". Even with this innovative feature, pas-sengers should always wear their safety belts and be sure that children are properly restrained in the rear seat.

Standard head curtain side air bags are designed to help provide head protection in certain side-impact collisions and rollovers for all outboard-seated occupants. The new rollover sens-ing system is intended to help protect occupants during rollovers by triggering the head cur-tain side air bags and activating the front seatbelt pretensioners.

The rollover-sensing module (ROS) is located on the center tunnel under the rear seat and uses a complex algorithm to deploy safety systems in rollover events. The ROS is designed to measure the lateral and vertical accelerations of the vehicle, as well as the roll rate. It obtains the vehicle speed from the wheel speed sensors. These four inputs are used to help make a predictive deployment decision. Once the ROS makes its deployment decision, a message is sent to the central control unit, or sensing diagnostic module (SDM), which is designed to then deploy the appropriate safety systems.

Seat belt load-limiting retractors with pretensioners are also standard for the front seat. Pre-tensioner front seat belts are designed to help minimize forward movement during a frontal collision and vertical movement in a rollover. A device attached to each front seat belt retrac-tor and triggered by the SDM at the same time as the air bags is designed to remove belt slack during a collision to help restrain front seat passengers. An energy-absorbing element built into the belt retractor helps regulate the forces on an occupant’s upper torso.

The Saab 9-7X features a front seat occupants safety-belt reminder, which lets front occu-pants automatically know via a chime and indicator light if their safety belt hasn’t been fas-tened.

The Saab 9-7X also provides knee bolsters that meet FMVSS 208’s new, more stringent stan-dard. The driver’s side bolster includes a metal panel with reinforced ribbing, which is located behind the plastic bolster surface, and in front of the energy-absorbing brackets. The panel more evenly distributes knee-loads into the energy-absorbing steel brackets, which are de-signed to crush during severe impact. The passenger-side glove box door is also engineered to act as a knee restraint and also meets the new FMVSS requirements.
    Well, now looking at the photos, while I think the total package is better than expected, I'm still disappointed they didn't give it a 9-3 SportWagon style taillight treatment or even a 9-5 wagon like treatment. The interior is the same GM SUV interior that's been panned everywhere just with an ignition key between the seats. A decent 50% effort.

- Bret
    seems fine. Sure looks the best of all of the GM GMT360 SUVs. (TrailBlazer, Envoy, Bravada, Ranier) If they keep feature content high enough, they'll sell boatloads.
    Nah, I'm not interested still if the feature content is high. I can get more in an SRX for the same price. They should've priced the 9-7X lower.
    Maybe the base price should have been $34,500 instead of $37,000.
    They don't have too much room on pricing and feature content. Look at how precious a loaded Trailblazer or Envoy goes for! It's *those* models that are overpriced, and as a result, the 9-7X ends up being too much...

- Bret

PS: I was just looking at the new Acura RL and Infiniti M45 concept pics. When you look at the attention to detail in these cars and the execution, and then look at redo's like the 9-7X, it's just soooo sad...
    I agree. It is sad, but a worthwile attempt for SAAB. Atleast they have a stopgag model. I sure do hope they don't rebadge another CSV.

The SAAB 9-9X CSV with 18" wheels and sportier suspension. Can you feel the European influences? LOL
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    I am pleasantly surprised with the exterior of the new 9-7X. The desert shoot pictures from auto motor und are pretty nice. The black one with thte Aero wheels is freaking sharp. I like the side profile, the pics of the projector headlight beams. The interior looks nice enough. The road test and scrutiny by the mag editors will be tough though. So if the mechanical changes and build quality are equal to the styling then they have something.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    Oh Man, this a high price nightmare version of the mini-vans. But here you're also ruining the reputation of Saab. Will they bring it to Europe to get laughed at? I guess they got extra rear clear lenses from the Equinox! I'm starting to have greater respect for Ford. They're doing a fine job with Volvo and Jag. Even they aren't stupid enough to put out Explorer versions of these fine brands. Will somebody smack Lutz in back of the head for me.
  • d2000one1d2000one1 Member Posts: 47
    No Explorer versions for Volvo or Jag, but what do you think the new Land Rover LR3 (Discovery) is? It's an Explorer!
    Yea, you can't tell the LR3's an Explorer at least!
    the 2007 redesign will get more input from Saab and will go global.
    Given the great I-6 and mechanicals of the Trailblazer, I don't really see the point of your laughter. I actually OWN a Bravada and I can tell you its a fine piece of SUV!

Pick up the pace on the build quality and interior materials and it's sure to do nothing but good for Saab.
    at least the SUV will make Saab just a little more profitable...
    You mean make them profitable in general?

Saab hasn't turned a profit in years.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Still missing:
    Side chest airbags (in addition to the curtains - GM seems to think only one or the other are necessary)
    Stability control
    Proper door handles (instead of the nailbreakers)
    Unintended lane change warning system
    No stability control for 35K!?! I thought it had that....
    Overall they're still loosing money. But hey, Saturn's in worse shape. Somehow I don't think yuppies will turn in their M300's, X-5's and XC-90's for this. Hey GM, Hint, hint: Did you notice those SUV's are smaller and more sports car like. A Saab Theta would have been a better idea. You might even have been able to sell it in Europe.
    I agree.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Wow! I had wondered what had happened to all of the usual Saab boards. Now I see where all the insightful posters migrated to.

Incidentally, its clear to me that GM is making Saab into a "virtual" car company. They are bringing more and more of the work under the GM umbrella. I'll bet that when they get done there won't be more than 200 people worldwide on the Saab payroll doing marketing, dealer development, and a couple of other highly visible functions. The rest of what a car company usually does to include warranty administration, personnell, payroll, assembly, engineering, purchasing, could be done by those innnovative types the General has working for him. Reminds me of the American Army Major in the Mekong Delta speaking of the city of Ben Tre: "we had to destroy it to save it".
    Has Saab ever turned a profit?
    Nope...
    Saab's only 10K units from breaking even. With Mazda, Subaru and Volvo V50 sport wagons all comming out, don't you think a 9-3 sport wagon should be here by now? Shouldn't be a problem selling 10K of those without a ton of rebates and get some world wide sales out of it also.
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    I am still wondering how this "Unintended lane change warning system" is going to work. There are alot of no-signal lane changers out there who are gonna be pissed off with any annoying bell.
    ;-D

Does the 9-7 have backup warning sensors?
    My saleslady I keep in touch with at my Saab dealership said they were just borrowing the chassis from GM, but the 9-7x would be Saab engineered. Yikes, I just saw the boxy exterior and the very, very GM interior. Biggest giveaway? Where are the hallmark Saab seats and head restraints, considered by many safer than Volvo's? I admit I'm not a Saab fanatic, but one of the things that brought me to Saab were the amazing supportive seats and headrests. Which GM vehicle did they rip these things out of? The other thing that brought me to Saab was their rep for building a solid car. My Arc wagon has been fairly trouble free. All I want is a roomier vehicle, with more storage cubbies and maybe a smoother ride than my wagon. Hell, if they'd just put the generous door pockets and storage cubbies from the 9-3 and drop those into my wagon, I'd be a happy girl. I'll probably wander onto the lot next Spring to see what they have, but it don't look like a true Saab to me!
    I jumped ship from a Merc Sable wagon to a Saab 9-5 Arc wagon. Is there a problem???????
    no there isn't a problem. In fact, I like the 9-5 myself. Just can't get the wife to agree on the fact that we need a 9-5. (I'm still stuck with the Civic)
    What vehicles are you considering, if you don't mind me asking.
    I am considering the cars listed below:
    Acura TSX
    Acura TL
    Infiniti I35
    Lexus ES330
    Saab 9-3
    Saab 9-5
    Volvo S40
    Volvo S60