Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

MINI Cooper Care & Maintenance

Comments

• Options
    waterflamewaterflame Member Posts: 22
    This might be a very naive question, but how would not putting too many miles on the Mini make other cars(Corolla, Yaris etc) a cheaper alternative? Also, isn't the Mini a car that hold on to its value more than most cars. I'd imagine a low number of miles plus a great resale value would mean that the Mini is a great car in the resale market for the seller.

I get that Tica's dilemna has more to do with whether to opt for the newer Mini at the end of her current lease. My doubts were just for my knowledge, really ;)

Thanks in advance! :D
  • Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    The real question I was asking was ...Why get a new car each year, with only 4 K per year miles?

Even at a great resale value, the original buyer/lease owner takes a hit on depreciation. Of course, if you always want the "latest and greatest", then its different, and not really a financial decision at all...
  • Options
    ticatica Member Posts: 64
    hi
    thanks for your comments.

first of all, I apologize, I put 6300 miles on it, not 3600, a dyslexic slip (even though I'm not dyslexic!) Anyway, it's still not very many for a year, I know. But actually, I drive Miniie my Mini nearly every day in NYC, The thing is, most trips are a mile or 2 and if I go from uptown to downtown that might still only be 8 miles roundtips and I only do that on a weekend, maybe once a week max. So it's easy to use your car a lot and not put much mileage on it.

During the summer months I was going out into the country every other weekend andthen I'd put a good 200-300 miles on it. That's how I even got my mileage this high!

I got the Mini mostly for parking in NYC. I was borrowing a friend's old old mercedes prior to getting Minnie and would drive by all these empty slots that only a mini would fit into. (And now, a smart car is looking appealing since Minnie can't get into EVERY space!) But I"d be afraid in a Smart Car on the highway, I think.

Anyway, so I got Mini cuz it's small, relatively good gas, and so darn cute. The lots of airbags convincing me it was sort of safe helped too. I did toy around with the idea of a cheaper Honda but they still are bigger parking wise and have zippo personality.

The reason I'm considering a new one is because I got more features than I wanted, now that I've tested all these features I realized that for the same price almost of buying my current car--21,3000 after the year lease, I could get a brand new 08 with feweer featrures--but the exact and only features I really care about for around the same price, maybe 22K. So for around the same price, with a one year newer car and one more extra year of warranty, it seemed like I should do it.

But I have a big of ecological guilt for treating cars like a new pair of shoes (although people have pointed out that my old Mini won't exactly go to waste as it s likely to get snapped up.)

Also, it's a bit of a hassle, and maybe some wait since I now have 29 days till end of lease (and considering I haven't ordered the new one, unless I get one off the lot, probably will have a good month wait with no car at all.

The check engine light was my only snafu and made me wonder if that is justification for turning in 07 for an 08.

so anyway, I still don't know. I'm going to ahve a long conversation with my boyfriend this weekend about it but any input is always welcome.

thanks!
  • Options
    hi
    thanks for your comments.

first of all, I apologize, I put 6300 miles on it, not 3600, a dyslexic slip (even though I'm not dyslexic!) Anyway, it's still not very many for a year, I know. But actually, I drive Miniie my Mini nearly every day in NYC, The thing is, most trips are a mile or 2 and if I go from uptown to downtown that might still only be 8 miles roundtips and I only do that on a weekend, maybe once a week max. So it's easy to use your car a lot and not put much mileage on it.

During the summer months I was going out into the country every other weekend andthen I'd put a good 200-300 miles on it. That's how I even got my mileage this high!

I got the Mini mostly for parking in NYC. I was borrowing a friend's old old mercedes prior to getting Minnie and would drive by all these empty slots that only a mini would fit into. (And now, a smart car is looking appealing since Minnie can't get into EVERY space!) But I"d be afraid in a Smart Car on the highway, I think.

Anyway, so I got Mini cuz it's small, relatively good gas, and so darn cute. The lots of airbags convincing me it was sort of safe helped too. I did toy around with the idea of a cheaper Honda but they still are bigger parking wise and have zippo personality.

The reason I'm considering a new one is because I got more features than I wanted, now that I've tested all these features I realized that for the same price almost of buying my current car--21,3000 after the year lease, I could get a brand new 08 with feweer featrures--but the exact and only features I really care about for around the same price, maybe 22K. So for around the same price, with a one year newer car and one more extra year of warranty, it seemed like I should do it.

But I have a big of ecological guilt for treating cars like a new pair of shoes (although people have pointed out that my old Mini won't exactly go to waste as it s likely to get snapped up.)

Also, it's a bit of a hassle, and maybe some wait since I now have 29 days till end of lease (and considering I haven't ordered the new one, unless I get one off the lot, probably will have a good month wait with no car at all.

The check engine light was my only snafu and made me wonder if that is justification for turning in 07 for an 08.

so anyway, I still don't know. I'm going to ahve a long conversation with my boyfriend this weekend about it but any input is always welcome.

thanks!
  • Options
    ejo1ejo1 Member Posts: 8
    We have a regular '06 Cooper loaded, now with 29500 miles on it. Per the countdown service counter we brought the car in twice for an oil change and new wipers, etc.
    Cost for this maintenance was $0. I assume we have to take her in one more time B-4 the warranty runs out, but in the meantime at 35mpg excellent performance when needed how can we complain.
    Only thing we did not like was the short life span of the high performance Pirelli tires we just had to replace.
    I was offered an extended warranty too last time I was at the dealer but feel like it isn't needed. Although this warranty offered covered everything mechanical except tires.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Well, first of all, we also share your reasons for getting the Mini. I would estimate that at least 10% more parking spaces are available for the Mini compared to our TL, would is not even a big car by today's standards. And who can resist the Mini's cuteness! We're even considering trading the TL for a Clubman. But 2 Minis in one family........

I wouldn't worry about the ecological concerns. ;)

Now, if I were in your shoes, with your current Mini coming off lease, and the check engine light issue has still not been resolved, and the new one has all the features you want or need at the same cost....... you know where I'm going with this.......I would vote for getting the new one! :shades:

Personally, I don't like lingering problems on a car, especially one that I own, not lease. You don't know whether that check engine light is just the tip of the iceberg.
  • Options
    rasldaslrasldasl Member Posts: 74
    I don't think I would buy out the lease on a car that has an unresolved issue. Have you considered turning it in and then going without a car for a while? Zipcar plus weekend rentals might turn out to be quite a bit cheaper. Then if you decide you really want the new Mini you can order it.
  • Options
    hi
    well I use the car more for daily use, rather than weekend use, so the zipcar thing is not really a good option for me. yes, I could go without, and it looks like I might have to if I turn Minnie in since my lease is up in 3 weeks and I haven't done anything yet to sort my situation out, like order a new one! yes, I could take nyc public transport again (more ecological I know, but such a pain to lug all your crap around!) It's been nice to have my mini be the 2nd walk in closet I don't have in my small NYC apt! Anyway, thanks for all your feedback, I've got to decide in the next week or so. I'm so swamped with work and this isn't a prioriity though. :( will keep ya posted on what I do!
  • Options
    fmkofmko Member Posts: 21
    I would never own a mini for the simple reason the car is made in england and the british can't build a car to save their [non-permissible content removed]. You will have countless electrical problems that will never get fixed (Jaguar!!) and the quality is crap. Expect to pay high service bills because car is owned by BMW, famous for ripping off their customers, and high inital purchase price so BMW can recover all the warranty costs for the first 4 years.

Buyer Beware!!!
  • Options
    Glad to see that you have an open mind on this issue....Got any facts to back those accusations up???

Expect to pay high service bills because car is owned by BMW, famous for ripping off their customers, and high inital purchase price so BMW can recover all the warranty costs for the first 4 years

I guess thats why BMW is increasing its sales volume in the USA each year...everyone wants to pay more for a less reliable and more expensive-to-maintain automobile.
  • Options
    waterflamewaterflame Member Posts: 22
    Anecdotal perceptions are absolutely useless in processes that evolve continually as car building does.

Korean car makers weren't supposed to be as reliable as their Japanese counterparts, but Hyundai is one of the more dependable car makers in the affordable hatchback and sedan niche. Kia backs their cars with one of the longest running warranties.

If you're a "glass is half full" kind of person, you could look at the MINI as a car that offers German reliability and British affordability! ;)
  • Options
    I would hope that most folks reading these postings consider the source before reacting. After all, why do people posts comments here?

Some of the most probable are...

1- They believe that they have useful information that will assist another vehicle owner...

2- They have a problem that they believe someone may be able to help them solve.

3- They have an axe to grind with a manufacturer, model, or just plain upset by their experiences.

I agree with waterflame in posting 165. Most of us would despise being judged on what our relatives may have done years ago, or for that fact, what we may have done 30 years ago...it simply isn't relevant to today.

To be honest, every auto maker makes a lemon every now and then.

I am quite often amazed by some of the comments made in these forums on occasion by some of the more disgruntled posters.

For instance, some may have the gripe that they had an engine problem at 120 K miles and feel the manufacturer should repair it free. Once and a while, you even see a posting that is so poorly written that I have difficulty seeing how the poster could operate a vehicle.

If you look at the number of postings on ANY vehicle in these forums and compare that to the total number of units produced, you quickly see that, at best, only a miniscule amout of owners are expressing opinions here.

That fact indicates to me that, by in large, most owners are reasonably satisfied with their automobiles. Yes, there are exceptions, as there are to every rule. And, that doesn't mean that there aren't occassional "oh-oh's" that get by the manufacturer. Its a competetive market, and everyone wants to be the first to offer the "latest and greatest".

Some owners do have real problems, even after doing everything correctly and performing all the prescribed maintenance by the manufacturer.

If you want to see what happens to manufacturers that really do consistantly turn out garbage, simply look up "Yugo".
  • Options
    theboz7theboz7 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to Minis and potentially buying a 2005 Mini Convertible with 56,000 miles. It is out of warranty, but appears to be in Great shape.

Any comments or suggestions about reliability?

I would appreciate any wisdom from Mini Owners! :)
  • Options
    My wife has an 05 Convertible 5 Speed manual with approx. 35K miles....purchased new...only one problem, the water temp. sensor began leaking and was replaced under warranty at no cost.

She absolutely loves the car...
  • Options
    I would hesitate to buy any car, especially a European brand, out of warranty.
  • Options
    coasterguycoasterguy Member Posts: 25
    I am getting ready to get an 2008 Mini. I live 80 miles from the Dealership out in a rural area. I am a little concerned of what could happen based on what I have read online about issues with these cars. Should I be worried or is it just a few articles of things that can happen? What about the runflat tires. Can a shop in my town replace them if one goes etc....I just worry that I am far from the dealership...Anyone else in my shoes.. I love these cars. I had one before but it was a 2 year lease in 2004. Only one issues but the mileage was very low before I traded it in. I miss it so that is why I am here again.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    One area that might make you feel better is MINI's roadside asst program for 3yrs/36000 miles. Call them anywhere anytime and they'll come to you if the car breaks down. I have an 08 Clubman S with almost 3K miles and outside of a bad seal on the right front fog light (which was replaced under warranty), I've had no issues. And if I were in your shoes, I probably would not have had that fixed until the first service (oil change) was required to save the trip.

Since you've owned one before, you know that they are pretty reliable cars. However, you also know that ANY car can give you trouble. I've had two good friends that have owned MINIs (one 05 Cooper S & one 06 Cooper, both manuals) and they had not had any issues outside of normal wear and tear (tires) and oil changes.

And yes, your shop could replace the RF tires.
  • Options
    Thank you.
  • Options
    rlmiller9rlmiller9 Member Posts: 48
    If you are 80 miles from the dealer you would IMO have to have your head examined to buy a Mini. Right now I am about 50 and it absolutely stinks. Thank god I only have a year to go on my lease.
    At that distance every time something breaks you will have two choices, live with it or take a FULL day off of work.
    After you factor in the time, now factor in the gas money. On the bright side the scheduled maintanence is every 15k.
    Right now for instance I have a lock that does not work to let me out of the car easy and I will just wait 3 more months to take the car in for its regular maitenance rather than make a special trip.

Just calling it the way I see it.
    R
  • Options
    You must wonder after reading most of these forums online. How many good stories are there to bad stories? I only had my first mini in 2004 for a year. Only problem was a little "almost stalling" symptom at the end of my apartment driveway in the morning. Once on the street it was fine. I traded it in for a "larger" car at the time. But, I miss the fun. I have a camry now. Wonderful car but, Boring to drive. Actually puts me to sleep. ehehehe I think I am trying to justify my move here. hahah
  • Options
    IT would be nice if those with "Great Stories" of their Mini's would post. Maybe I will just lease it and get a new one every 3 years?
  • Options
    jac10903jac10903 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2005 mini. it is not a convertable but i love it.
  • Options
    jac10903jac10903 Member Posts: 2
    i want to change my own oil in my mini but do not know how to change the mileage interval digital readout. any help.
  • Options
    mymemnimymemni Member Posts: 6
    I have a 02 mini cooper with 112k miles, change oil myself every 5k miles, no problems, replaced battery at 95k. now the radiator fan will not stop running, I have to disconnect neg battery cable to get it to stop. dealer (Richmond, Va.) says the whole fan needs to be replaced to the tune of $600. the bumper and radiator needs to come out to replace the fan. anyone have any experience with this? I'm fairly mechanically inclined so is it something I can do?

also it is time to do my first brake job, Id like to replace the rotors with drilled and slotted and use EBC green stuff pads and replace lines with braided stainless
    any thoughts?
  • Options
    Your brakes lasted 112K miles?!! Wow. We had to put in new pads on our '05 at about 20K miles! :cry:
  • Options
    20K miles and needing brakes?

Either you must drive with one foot on the brakes or be a mail delivery person.

Just joking, but that is WAY too early to need a brake job!
  • Options
    "...but that is WAY too early to need a brake job!"

That's what I thought too. Mind you though, that 20K miles were 100% city, stop and go miles.
  • Options
    ok, we've determined that 20k is too early for a brake job, what does that have to do with my original post?
  • Options
    Nothing, sorry, I don't have any advice to offer you on your original question. I guess we just got side-tracked with the 112K miles between brake job thing! :blush:
  • Options
    micjimmicjim Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone out there that can give me a "blow by blow" on how to change the oil in an "04" Mini? I've had my 2 warrenty changes. I've been told that there is a "gadget" in (I assume) the oil filter that if not taken out correctly and or lost it could mess things up.
  • Options
    How to change oil: Drive Mini to local Mini dealer. Hand over key. Cut off your right arm and left leg. Promise to name your first born after the service adviser. Sit in waiting area for an hour and enjoy a complimentary cup of coffee. :P ;)
  • Options
    The oil filter is a replaceable paper cartridge located towards the top side of the engine, in the rear. If I remember correctly, it takes a 36 mm socket to remove the enclosure holding the paper element.

You can buy a replacement filter element at any NAPA store or Auto Zone, and the element should come with a replacement o-ring, which you should lightly lubricate before installing.

Be aware, however, that many BMW service techs think the BMW factory recommended oil change intervals on the Mini are a joke, even with synthetic oil. Most techs I know recommend a change at least every 7500 miles using synthetic oil. None recommend non-synthetic oils.

Before BMW started offering its "all service included" policy, it recommended much more frequent oil changes. Good luck!
  • Options
    Our Sienna has one of the 'new' paper refill ones. It was not hard to change, just a little different the first time.
    I am told by my older co workers that this is the way they all use to be years ago.

There are lots of resources on the web for this kind of thing, not so much here at Edmunds. I did the rear brakes on my 05 with this link.
    http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43438&highlight=bra- ke+pads
  • Options
    "Before BMW started offering its "all service included" policy, it recommended much more frequent oil changes.'

You can interpret that in 2 different ways though: Was BMW gouging its customers previously with redundant oil changes, or are they saving money now to the detriment of engine health?
  • Options
    "Before BMW started offering its "all service included" policy, it recommended much more frequent oil changes.'

You can interpret that in 2 different ways though: Was BMW gouging its customers previously with redundant oil changes, or are they saving money now to the detriment of engine health?

From the mechanics I have spoken with about this, as well as from my own personal experience in restoring automobiles...the answer would be option "B". Even the Roundel Magazine mechanic's page suggest much more frequent oil changes than recommended by BMW.

Of course, by the time damage is determined...no warranty.

And, since many, many owners drive BMW's as status symbols, mileage is quite often not very high...so many owners will never see the problem.

On my wife's Mini, a factory oil change with filter and synthetic oil is about $80.00...a cheap insurance policy if there ever was one...
  • Options
    'On my wife's Mini, a factory oil change with filter and synthetic oil is about $80.00..'

It costs me about $100 up here in Canada. I had the oil changed at about 9,500km even though the computer said it was good for another 9,000km. Ours is leased so maybe I was a fool for spending the extra $$, but I figure what the heck, and there is always a chance we may buy it out at the end of the lease. Probably not likely, but you never know!
  • Options
    eashleyeashley Member Posts: 8
    I change mine every 5,000 miles , which may be excessive, but I am old school. Too much cold weather short haul stuff going on with me, why take a chance. I intend to own and enjoy for the long haul. During warranty period i paid extra for the out of sequence changes. Insurance.
  • Options
    floridaminifloridamini Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 mini cooper has started having the same problem. Have you found a solution, other than replacing the fan? I am not mechanically inclined and am trying to avoid another costly trip to the dealership.
  • Options
    I agonized about taking it to the dealer so I messed around under the hood for awhile and took the relay out and tapped on it and also tapped on the fan motor and now it miraculously works fine, some contact must have been stuck. I don't know how long it will work, it may just postpone the inevitable, but for now I'm go to go. If I were you I would take it to a good garage before going to the dealer and explain what I've told you..........good luck
  • Options
    matt14matt14 Member Posts: 6
    I have an '06 with 2 tone sport seats. It's my understanding the seats are "real" leather, but my guess is the main part of the two tone (seat and back) are leather while the rest is fake leather. What part is leather and what do I use to clean and protect it? I assume you don't use the same thing on both leather and fake leather.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A newswire reporter would like to speak with owners of the Mini Cooper. If you are an owner, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, July 18th.
  • Options
    coupahcoupah Member Posts: 18
    Matt,
    On most (leather) seats, the part you sit on, is leather. For economic reasons, the "other parts' are synthetic. Hard to tell, far as I can see.
    Of course, big-buck cars are ALL leather...
  • Options
    zxbosguyzxbosguy Member Posts: 2
    I have a couple questions for you about extending the warranty on my Mini and wonder if you have ever considered or dealt with any of this.
    Even if you have not, I would appreciate your thoughts. My 2005 Mini maintenance and mechanical warranties (two separate agreements) are up in March 2009.

I am considering extending either, or both, warranties for another 2 years. They are separate decisions, and are priced separately, so I want to know what you have done or think I should do.

Maintenance warranty covers all routine stuff like oil changes ($200 if bot separately), alignment ($200), tune ups at major milestones ($800), wiper replacement ($100), convertble top alignment ($200), etc. To extend the warranty unitl March 2011, it will cost me $1995.

Mechanical warranty covers everything except the exhaust system, such as engine failure, brakes, transmission, clutch, etc, and that's another $2095.

Where I put about 6k miles per year on vehicle, I figure things are going to wear out slower than the avereage car. But the routine maintenance will still need to be performed. So, I'm thinking of skipping the mechanical and going with the maint warranty extension. What do you think?

Your thoughts?
  • Options
    If your tranny goes it will be about 6 big ones and there are not any independant shops that can do it. With the shody history of this model I would (shop but) get all the warranty you can afford.
  • Options
    carl_spacklercarl_spackler Member Posts: 1
    I have 40K miles on my factory tires. I live in Minnesota in the snow and cold. I am looking for a set of tires for my Mini Cooper S that are not run flats and that will provide all around good performance with good traction. Does anyone have a recommendation on a tire?

Thank you!
  • Options
    zman401zman401 Member Posts: 1
    The more often the better.. this is a quote from a Carb bible or possible an engine builders bible. it is about how often to change oil. This should help others assuming they read this frequently.." You can never change your engine oil too frequently. The more you do it, the longer the engine will last. The whole debate about exactly when you change your oil is somewhat of a grey area. Manufacturers tell you every 10,000 miles or so. Your mate with a classic car tells you every 3,000 miles. Ole' Bob with the bad breath who drives a truck tells you he's never once changed the oil in his car. Fact is, large quantities of water are produced by the normal combustion process and, depending on engine wear, some of it gets into the crank case. If you have a good crank case breathing system it gets removed from there PDQ, but even so, in cold weather a lot of condensation will take place. This is bad enough in itself, since water is not noted for its lubrication qualities in an engine, but even worse, that water dissolves any nitrates formed during the combustion process. If my memory of chemistry serves me right, that leaves you with a mixture of Nitric (HNO3) and Nitrous (HNO2) acid circulating round your engine! So not only do you suffer a high rate of wear at start-up and when the engine is cold, you suffer a high rate of subsequent corrosion during normal running or even when stationary.
    The point I'm trying to make is that the optimum time for changing oil ought to be related to a number of factors, of which distance travelled is probably one of the least important in most cases. Here is my selection in rough order of importance:

1.Number of cold starts (more condensation in a cold engine)
    2.Ambient temperature (how long before warm enough to stop serious condensation)
    3.Effectiveness of crank case scavenging (more of that anon)
    4.State of wear of the engine (piston blow-by multiplies the problem)
    5.Accuracy of carburation during warm-up period (extra [non-permissible content removed] produced)
    6.Distance travelled (well, lets get that one out of the way)
    If you were clever (or anal) enough, you could probably come up with a really clever formula incorporating all those factors. However, I would give 1, 2, and 3 equal top weighting. Items 1 to 3 have to be taken together since a given number of "cold" starts in the Dakar in summer is not the same as an equal number conducted in Fargo in January. The effect in either case will be modified by how much gas gets past the pistons. What we are really after is the severity and duration of the initial condensation period. All other things being equal, that will give you how much condensate will be produced and I would suggest that more than anything else determines when the oil should be dumped" :) In short even conventional oil last a good while if you have ideal conditions. Synthetic definately flows better and lasts longer no doubt. The article also pointed to a BMW enthusiast site talking about how some of them are having sludge problems. So If you are going to keep your MINI forever Change it often, IF it is a lease or if you know you are going to trade it in use manufacturers/dealers recommendations
  • Options
    cinbodencinboden Member Posts: 1
    The problem you described was a few months ago, but I hope you remember everything that happened. I have a 2003 Cooper S, and I'm having the exact same problem with the ever-running radiator fan. I really don't want to spend about 600 bucks, but I have almost no technical ability when it comes to fixing cars. Could you explain what you mean as far as the relays and contacts? Did your "temp" solution work, and if so, for how long? Thanks.
  • Options
    I took my car to my local shade tree mechanic who tapped on a relay that goes to the fan, where that relay was, I haven't a clue. if I were you I would go to your local garage and describe the problem and tell him what happened to mine, any halfway mechanic should be able to figure out what relay it is, meanwhile you can just disconnect the neg battery cable (which is kind of a pain in the butt everytime you stop) Sorry I'm not much help, oh, and by the way, mine has been working fine ever since, must have just been stuck
    good luck
  • Options
    juledenjuleden Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 08 Cooper and when the light came on at 10000 miles I called to have the oil changed which is what the salesman said. The service manager said I could wait until it reached 18000 miles before I had to change it. Is this right? :confuse:
  • Options
    carlover3carlover3 Member Posts: 29
    I am debating 50/50 if I want to get the Sunroof/Moonroof option.
    What's holding me back from getting this option is that there is a screen (and it slides I think) under the roof/glass, not a solid piece blocking the total sunlight from the driver.
    A couple things about the screen instead of a solid piece:
    - does it cause the unacceptable heat in the car on a high-temperature day ( like 75 degrees or above). I live in San Jose (South Bay Area of CA) ?
    - does it bother the driver occasionally/frequently because the constant sunlight coming the glass/roof into the car ? or that through-light is minimal enough that it does not bother driver on most Sunny days.
    Please give some advice- Thanks much!
    Mini Lover ( near future!)