Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• mike7842mike7842 Member Posts: 9
    I bought the RTS. If I had to do it over again, I would buy the RTL. With the RTS, one would have to buy the satellite radio kit and have it hooked up. The antenna is on the inside corner of the front windshield. Lot of signal loss. Take a look at steel blue. Mike
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    It's hard to say. I like my RT-L, but if money was a factor, I could easily live with the RT. The fabric is really nice in the RT-S.
  • njdevil5njdevil5 Member Posts: 26
    hypecat:
    So many choices, so little time. I was debating between the RTS & RTL. I couldn't justify the $1300 for leather and a few other options. I'm very happy with fabric and comfort of the RTS. I have approx. 10,000 miles on mine and have enjoyed every one (except when a rock cracked the windshield). I didn't have an option on the RT at the time, but from what I remember in the brochure, there was enough of a difference in my mind to justify the upgrade. I selected black. When the truck is clean (which is very often) it looks unbelievable. It's a lot of work to keep that way. I also like the steel blue which also wasn't easy to find in my version back in early March. I'd imagine that this would be easier to keep clean. Good luck.
  • msmithplanomsmithplano Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone tried to hook up an iPod to the Aux. port located above the glove box provided with Nav? If so, what brand/make of cable did you use?

Thanks.
  • silvertruck1silvertruck1 Member Posts: 3
    Well, I filled my tank for the first time today. went 368 miles and it took 18.5 gallons not bad. better than i had thought. this is my first real big truck, so i was alittle nervous :
    i think it holds 22 gal?? am i wrong? my old Bravada 2002 17 gallon tank i could only go 300 miles at best, so i doing okay.
    so far... nice truck, just need to get used to backing up in the city, the sales rep said i should get mud flaps, which might be a good idea.. any comment on that.
    I live in New England so I should probably get a cover for the back before the winter but 1500 bucks seemed like alot of money i like the cover they have for the Ridgeline, its seems solid, but i heards its a nightmare to take it off when you actually need to use the entire cab. any thoughts? I also heard it may leak? any thoughts? do you think their cover is the best one i should get or others> hopefully alittle cheaper. I love the push button back window, cool feature!
  • hypecathypecat Member Posts: 10
    Well, I bought a Black RT (my wife says I'm cheap!), I decided on the RT because they only one they had was black and the mirrors and door handles match (the mirrors and door handles are black on the RTs and would not have looked right on any other color). Sat in a RT-L with roof and XM and just could not justify the addtional $4700. The steel wheels look better than I thought they would, but I may get a set of "take off" alloys. Anyway, I am happy with the truck, it is very nice. Need to get a towing package, anyone know where the best deals are "online"?
  • kaybkayb Member Posts: 4
    We have had our Ridgeline RT-L for 7 weeks. We just love it. It is the blue and my husband has only washed it once. It doesn't look dirty. He drives it to work everyday. He is happy with the gas mileage. He says he gets a lot better then his Ford Expl. The ride is much better in fact I think it rides better than any other truck I have been in. We think the XM radio is just great. He raerly wanted to put the radio on in our other vehicles but with this one he never has turned it off.
  • lymanwhitelymanwhite Member Posts: 1
    Anyone fitted a set of 19 X 8.5 inch wheels to the Ridgeline yet? Does the Ridgeline accept the Acura MDX 5-114 bolt pattern? If so did you have any clearance problems? I am thinking of this wheel matched to a 255/50/19 tire. Your help is appreciated.
  • rogerdougcanrogerdougcan Member Posts: 12
    Joe: thanks for the tip about the paint. I just loaded by kid's bike in the back and it scratched the bed and sides in several places. I will try a liner as well.

roger
  • rogerdougcanrogerdougcan Member Posts: 12
    homersridge: I just received my EX-L about a month ago. It is silver, with grey interior, mostly loaded except no moonroof, roofrack, foglights or navigation system. I really like the leather seats and that it uses regular gas (way cheaper, even in Alberta).

Minor complaints:
    a) bedliner scratches easily (may need rubber liner),
    b) driver's side mirror glass popped out of socket after a car wash and real difficult to re-attach (may need to go to dealer to fix),
    c) temperature control is finicky (blows warm air when the vehicle is cold in the morning even if the outside temp is warm, still figuring out the manual controls).

Roger
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    Just took delivery of my Steel Blue RTS this weekend. Since the Ridgeline doesn't have a cassette deck like my old car, I couldn't use my iPOD through the stereo like I used to.

So, the first thing I did was picked up a Griffin Roadtrip for my iPOD. This is a really sweet unit. It's a combination DC Adaptor, Charger and FM transmitter all in one. It plugs into the power ports on the dash, and holds the iPOD. You set the FM Transmitter anywhere between 88.1 and 107.9 and it plays back through the stereo. Plus, it's a charger for the iPOD so you don't have to worry about draining batteries. I can even leave the backlight on the whole time, making it really easy for me to see what's playing. I have the iPOD photo, so it has a really nice color screen. Best of all, there are no dangling wires anywheres, no batteries to change, and it doesn't interfere with any of the other controls on the dash because the power ports are nice and low on the unit. It's also really easy to transport and I can just yank it out and put in our Odyssey and it works and fits great in there too!

For about $60 on sale, I am finding this to be a great fit for using my iPOD in the Ridgeline and just wanted to share my experience. :shades:
  • jh6jh6 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to clarify something. I find it very disturbing the false information that is posted on the internet by know-it-alls whom have no knowledge! First, I am a mechanical engineer specializing in fluid dynamics. I am not going to bore you with any great knowledge I may have learned "a number of years ago"! I would recommend that everyone (especially the author of the previous post) to perform the following experiment and determine for themselves the effect of a tailgate on aerodynamics. Hold your hand out of the window of a moving car (approximately 40-60mph for the best test). With your fingers facing toward the front of the vehicle and hand horizontal with the ground, make a mental note of the drag you experience (the amount force the air puts on your hand). Now, rotate your hand skyward (fingers pointing up), and the palm of your hand toward the front of the car. Notice the drag on your hand now. Obviously, the drag on a horizontal hand is much less then a vertical hand. This will correlate to the difference between a covered bed and a bed with a tailgate. You can decide which would provide better gas mileage. Also, another interesting improvement with a bed cover is the elimination of the turbulent air in the bed. This turbulence causes a truck to experience a "jerkyness" at higher speeds. With a bed cover it is eliminated providing a much smoother ride.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I guess the post you're referring to was removed because I see none in this topic on the subject of the tailgate being up or down, and post 1432 is missing.

On the other hand jh6, you should do some more research. In the first place with your example, the cab isn't in front of your hand.. There have been actual wind tunnel test studies of this, both by GM and independently. One example follows:

Aerodynamic Characteristics of General Motors Truck

Motor Magazine also had an article with similar information and conclusions-
    Motor Magazine Eye on Electronics article .pdf
    I would like to clarify something. I find it very disturbing the false information that is posted on the internet by know-it-alls whom have no knowledge!

There is no turbulence in the RL bed. The wind does not hit the back of tailgate. there is no benefit to a cover or leaving the tailgate down. Trust me on that one, that's straight from Gary Flint the RL engineer. He would know. The RL is designed so that wouldn't happen. It's kind of ironic that your the one posting false info. You should be certain of what your saying before posting, instead of just posting your assumptions.
  • whaleyawhaleya Member Posts: 28
    I don't quite understand the concern the some have over scratches in the bed??

The bed is NOT steel. The bed will not rust.

On a different subject... The example of drag on a human's hand outside the window would only be revelent as an example if my truck were shaped like a giant, hairy hand!
  • msmithplanomsmithplano Member Posts: 4
    Glad you are enjoying your Ridgeline with the Griffin Roadtrip. I had been using the Griffin iTrip (not as good as the Roadtrip but works).

To avoid the potential RF interference of the FM modulator, I was hoping to use the Auxillary port located above the glovebox. Are you aware of any cables that will work for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.
  • 4wdave4wdave Member Posts: 16
    Be careful with the Roadtrip! I blew out two IPODs with mine, and the manufacturer doesn't even reply when I ask about a replacement...
    Posted by a guy that knows the RL inside and out I would say.

Wow – there are so many issues at play here it is difficult to know where to start. Let’s go through each of the arguments in play and separate the myths from the facts. The overall discussion seems to be centered first on drive train and engine type so let’s start there and then cover some of the other peripheral issues:

V8 vs. V6
    Honda is first and foremost and engineering company - NOT a marketing organization staffed with spin doctors. That transcends to everything that is done from the design to the overall company philosophy. Specifically, the Ridgeline is equipped with a 3.5L high performance V6 engine. It is true it lacks a low tech valve-in-head V8 engine designed in 1954. However, let’s focus on the engineering results and performance: Unloaded, the Ridgeline out-accelerates the two highest volume full size competitors: Ford F150 and Chevrolet Silverado/Avalanche. It is also within several tenths of a second acceleration when coupled to a 5,000 pound trailer compared to F150 with the optional 5.4L V8 and optional axle ratio. It also out accelerates an Avalanche in the same test with a trailer. As far as fuel economy is concerned, it achieves 21 mpg real world fuel economy. NONE of the competition actually achieves the label fuel economy in the real world. The full size V8 competitors achieve approximately 14-16mpg depending on the driving mode and speed. Based on the facts, I would say the Ridgeline accomplishes better performance in a more efficient package: A successful engineering solution.
    Ridgeline 1- Full Size Trucks 0

4wd Drive train
    It is true; the Ridgeline is a transverse mounted drive train. This is why it is able to pack the equivalent package interior volume and bed length in an overall length that is 18 inches shorter than a Ford F150 Crew cab. This results in package that is fits in a garage and is maneuverable in the real world. Additionally, there seems to be some misconception about the 4wd launch philosophy of the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline 4wd drivetrain is a predictive (rather than reactive) system unlike the competitors. It ALWAYS launches in 4WD mode. It removes power from the rear wheels when the conditions permit (i.e. cruise & no-slip condition). In fact, whenever throttle is being applied, the system begins to apply torque to the rear wheels. This strategy results in a more fuel efficient solution and is more functional in the real world (particularly when towing in the rain – a mode where the competitor’s demonstrate dismal performance).
    Ridgeline 3 – Full size Trucks 0)

Body Construction
    The Ridgeline incorporates a Unibody construction with an integrated frame with 7 high strength steel cross members. The primary frame section is 70% deeper than conventional SUV construction. Contrary to popular opinion, this is not shared with the Pilot or MDX. The body is 93% exclusive and was specifically designed to meet the severe demands of the intended truck vocation. During the early design process, unibody construction was benchmarked against conventional Body-on-Frame architecture. The ultimate strength in the overloaded condition was also chosen as a design target for the Ridgeline. The final body design is more weight efficient and achieves equivalent performance in terms of the failure point in overloaded mode. It is 20 times stiffer in torsion, 2.5 times stiffer in bending, achieves SUPERIOR crash performance (the only truck to EVER achieve 5 Star front AND 5 Star side impact performance. Additionally, in the dynamic rollover test, it achieves the BEST EVER performance in the dynamic roll-over test (4 star in the NTSA dynamic test with no wheel tip-up) If you look at some of the videos contained on this site: when the body is twisted with one wheel 5 feet in the air, all the doors can be opened and closed, the tailgate is fully functional. The competition can not achieve this level of performance. Additionally, the cab and box contact each other during this maneuver in the competition. What the conventional (old world) body on frame construction is superior at achieving is low-cost construction with an ability to spin many different body and cab configurations. The Ridgeline targets the core volume segment of the market: personal transportation 4 door trucks.
    Ridgeline 4 – Full Size Trucks 0

Handling
    The Ridgeline benefits from the basic architecture of the platform: stiff, efficient Unibody construction with an integrated truck frame that utilizes independent rear suspension. If we look at either slalom speed or max lateral G’s pulled in a corner, the Ridgeline simply blows the competition away. In fact, it is so good, it outperforms the Honda 2 door Accord on both fronts. If we look at aftershake or head toss as two additional measures of ride quality: again the Ridgeline simply blows the competition away. It is simply in a class by itself in terms of ride and handling. No other truck can come close. In the real world where these vehicles are used for commuting and transporting the family – the vehicle really excels. Now let’s talk about loaded handling. Again even when loaded, there is no comparison. The Ridgeline maintains its composure when carrying the max payload. I have driven it both on the track and over a real world road course with the rated payload. I would never attempt any high speed handling maneuvers in any of the competition at rated payload. This was demonstrated to the press during the launch event. Some of the competitors are so poor during this type of vocation, during the media events an EMS crew was standing by in case someone driving the competitors went outside the friction circle.
    Ridgeline 5 – Full Size Trucks 0

Payload
    The Ridgeline rated payload in the bed is a genuine 1100 pounds on every grade. The Ridgeline has more rated payload than a Ford F150 crew cab. In fact a Chevrolet Avalanche can not haul a half ton with 2 passengers. Neither can the Chevrolet Colorado, Toyota Tacoma, nor Ford Sport Trac. This is also the ONLY truck in the compact or so called mid-size category that can fit a 48 inch wide module flat on the floor of the bed.
    Ridgeline 6– Full Size Trucks 0

Snow/Ice Performance
    The Ridgeline is equipped with the most advanced drivetrain available on any truck in the market. It is a full time, fully automatic 4wd system. Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) is standard on every grade and fully functional even in 4wd mode. It is also equipped with standard brake assist to provide the shortest possible stopping distance in real world panic situations. It is the most stable system in the snow while providing an extremely intuitive automatic system. The driver simply needs to apply throttle and steer to navigate difficult split mu hills (one side ice/ the other asphalt): stomp and steer!!
    Ridgeline 6 – Full Size Trucks 0

Off-Road Performance
    The Ridgeline is not equipped with a low ra
    continued

Off-Road Performance
    The Ridgeline is not equipped with a low range 4wd transmission which permits more throttle modulation over severe hills or rocks. It also does not posses as good of approach or departure angle as the compact trucks. However, it is competitive with Full Size trucks. The Ridgeline does lack the capability conventional systems offer in limited circumstances. Based on extensive research, 99% of the customers that own trucks do not operate them in extreme environments where a low-tech, cheap and heavy system excels. If you are one of the 1% of the customers in the market that needs this kind of performance, I would recommend you buy a Tacoma as mentioned several times in this forum. It is the ONLY competitor that offers packaging or performance that is competitive to the Ridgeline. Let’s give the good old boys a chance and toss them a bone.
    Ridgeline 6 – Full Size Trucks 1

Towing
    As previously mentioned, the Ridgeline body and powertrain were designed to perform honestly and safely in the real world at the stated towing rating. Again, extensive research was done in the towing arena. Over 40,000 truck customers received surveys to inquire about their towing needs. It was learned over 85% of the market needs were covered by a 5000 pound towing specification. Again, like payload, it is an honest rating. Even the heaviest grade Navi model can tow the stated payload with passengers and luggage. Again – I’ll graciously give this to the good old boys in terms of max rated towing. However, the Ridgeline is more stable at the rated payload. Further, it can ACTUALLY tow its rated payload with the tongue load required to maintain stable handling. If your needs require frequent towing with a trailer over 5000 pounds, you are better off with a HD truck with a Diesel. By the way – that is not a Ford F150 which is inherently unstable. Stick with the Silverado (not an Avalanche) and order a Diesel and be prepared for the associated compromises (cost, noise, acceleration, fuel availability).
    Ridgeline 6 – Full Size Trucks 2

Innovation
    The Ridgeline is the only vehicle on the market with an in-bed truck and dual mode tailgate. The tailgate is the strongest tailgate in the industry in terms of rated payload or ultimate strength. It excels at both providing unprecedented flexibility and capability unique in the market. This is the first example of groundbreaking innovation in the segment in 30 years. The Ridgeline delivers on addressing an unmet need in the market by providing a method to provide integrated secure storage in a truck. The ultimate strength of the tailgate is so great it is strong enough to actually park two Ridgelines up next to each other end-to-end and park another Ridgeline on the horizontal surface of both tailgates. The bed tie downs are strong enough to pick the entire truck up from the 4 lower points. The tow hooks are strong enough to pick two Ridgelines up end-to-end and pick up an F150 behind the 2nd (3 vehicles in total- end-to-end) It is both innovative and tough.

Making an automotive purchase is complex decision matrix involving many emotional issues. Everyone has their own opinions and taste. You may knock the Ridgeline due to your individual opinion about styling, or your specific needs for severe off-road use (0.5% of the market) or extreme towing needs (15% of the towing truck segment). However, do not knock it due to its actual capabilities as general purpose light duty truck. In that arena (which is 90% of the market – and 100% of the growth area of the market), the Ridgeline is vastly superior. Keep your opinions and misinformation to your self. Stick to the facts. This issue has been validated by both extremes in the automotive press: Car and Driver and Consumers Reports. When stacked up against the competition, the Ridgeline came out on top.

If you are seeking low cost minimalist transportation, this is not the vehicle for you. If you are seeking the most advanced, best handling, most innovative, and best value truck on the market, the Ridgeline is the solution. If your needs require severe off-road duty, severe towing use, or you are not confident with certain aspects of your anatomy (hmm - there are many surgical solutions), you should probably shop elsewhere. Everyone is entitled to an opinion – step up to the plate and reinforce yours with facts.

Happy Shopping!!
    K
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I guess the post you're referring to was removed because I see none in this topic on the subject of the tailgate being up or down, and post 1432 is missing.

On the other hand jh6, you should do some more research. In the first place with your example, the cab isn't in front of your hand.. There have been actual wind tunnel test studies of this, both by GM and independently. One example follows:

Aerodynamic Characteristics of General Motors Truck

Motor Magazine also had an article with similar information and conclusions-
    Motor Magazine Eye on Electronics article .pdf"

Well, the links support buying a tonneau cover. Each of them said that the pickup is more airflow efficient with the tonneau cover. One link said 11%, I think the other was over 20%.
    "I don't quite understand the concern the some have over scratches in the bed??

The bed is NOT steel. The bed will not rust. "

The scratches are white, which looks bad. If they had only used a black interior material, it wouldn't make any difference.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Excellent and very informative post. This person who knows the Ridgeline inside and out, what are his qualifications? Is he a Honda engineer?

I think it would behoove Honda to be a bit more specific in terms of how the 4WD operates (as per this post), as there seems to be a lot of misinformation out there because Honda hasn't been as thorough as they could have been. For example, I was not aware that the Ridgeline starts from a stop with power being sent to all 4 wheels, or that any time you give it gas, power is sent rearward. That's important info—that has not been clearly delineated by Honda. It should be thoroughly explained in great detail their marketing brochures, which it isn't. It's just glossed over.

Bob
  • mbrady1mbrady1 Member Posts: 13
    I just returned the factory tonneau cover to the dealership for a refund. It was the worst accesory I have ever purchased. There are much better options available such as one from retrax. I think it runs about $900.00 and is much more functional than the factory cover. I was surprised they took it back as I had close to 5000 miles on the truck and it certainly did not look new.
  • cr vcr v Member Posts: 23
    Thanks great Post.
    Some more Ridgeline Technical Specs.
    http://hondanews.com/catID2138?view=t&page=1
    Excellent and very informative post. This person who knows the Ridgeline inside and out, what are his qualifications? Is he a Honda engineer?

You can take his word as gospel. If Honda has a question about the RL, they probably ask him.
    From the following "Tech Spec" link:

http://hondanews.com/catID2138?mid=2005020137617&mime=asc

Variable Torque Management 4-Wheel Drive (VTM-4)

* Fully automatic operation provides confidence in all driving conditions
    * Lock feature for getting unstuck in slippery conditions

That's as detailed as Honda gets—which is about useless. That tells me virtually nothing! :mad:

Bob
    The only falsehood I know of (without doing additional research) concerns the engine. This person attempts to make the argument that the "valve-in-head" engine design is OLD and LOW-TECH. Both are false. Pushrod technology has continued to evolve too, not just overhead cam designs. Which btw (OHC, I mean), is the OLDER engine design. Read up a bit on it around the web to see for yourself. :P

I can't argue too much with the other "facts" he's stating, other than that he seems to undervalue many of the actual strengths of other trucks, as well as uses quite a bit of spin when he mentions things that "all" levels of Ridgeline can do (that "all" levels of other trucks can't). By spin, basically the fact that Honda really only HAS one truck platform style (trim levels aside- as most other trucks also have various trim levels available for any given style) pretty much means you're LIMITED to 5000 pounds towing, for example. With something like the F150, Silverado, or Avalanche, you can pick the "level" that fits your needs.

Still, lots of good technical information there, even if highly biased. ;)
    No argument about the tonneau cover either. (I bought one)

But the articles both also clearly state that tailgate up (with OR without tonneau) was always better than tailgate down or off. ;)
    Still, lots of good technical information there, even if highly biased.

I imagine his bias comes from his extensive experience with this truck and all the competitors trucks (experience I'm sure we all wish we had). Probably, In his mind "valve-in-head" engine design is OLD and LOW-TECH" compared to the Honda SOHC VTEC technology at least in comparison.
    I don't really want to debate what is new / high tech here. But I do agree to the "In his mind" part. That's where the obvious bias exists regardless of why we think he has it or whether you feel it's justified. In my opinion, attempting to connote OLD / LOW-TECH or NEW / HIGH-TECH tags to either technology is simply attempting to market a product and has nothing to do with being "better" or working better for a given vehicle. ;)
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Some good info... however some misleading marketing info too. First off all remember this....I don't own a pickup of anytype. I'm just trying to point out you can spin info lots of different ways. (and have a little fun)

Are you in Marketing too?

One of the items I question is the accleration compare. Sure the Ford used the 5.4 with optional rear end gear. But would the standard gear have provided better acceleration times? I'm guessing the optional (and higher ratio) gear allowed for much higher tow ratings, but might also hurt accelration speed. How did it do against a Chevy, Dodge, Nisan or Toyota?

Also other trucks do achieve their specified fuel mileage. Some even do better than the sticker.

According to Edmunds an Avalanche can have a max payload of 2100 pounds and tow 12000. You happened to pick the minimum numbers.

Handeling. last I checked they all handle posted speed limits fairly well. I haven't tried any of my cars or SUVs on a test course with cones. 99.9% of the time I don't mind a little more body roll.

"when the body is twisted with one wheel 5 feet in the air, all the doors can be opened and closed, the tailgate is fully functional." Wow. It must not handle very well to get one wheel 5 feet off the ground. :)

towing...add 4 people and gear to the Honda, F150 and Silverado. What is the tow rating now? Many (most?) campers and boats with gear and accesories weigh in at 3000lbs. Would the Honda will be near or over its limit 100% of the time? What's the mpg when towing this heavy load?

From honda's web site: "The Steel-Reinforced Composite (SRC) Cargo Bed has twice the strength of steel and eliminates the need for a bed liner. The non-slip surface provides excellent impact, scratch and corrosion resistance."

Well its well known not to be scratch resistant. How much else is true?

Anyone know why big swing open tailgates are gone? All the station wagons of the 60's and 70's had them. They are hard to close or swing closed when not on level ground. They also take lots of room to open (about a 5 foot swing radius.) Try to open it with the gargage door down... I guess just flip it down then...but can you still reach in the trunk then?

""The Ridgeline targets the core volume segment of the market: personal transportation 4 door trucks."" Did engineers figure this out or did marketing? Personally I see many more extended cab versions of trucks with only one person in them.

Marketing is such a fun thing.
    one more....

a Chevy Silverado has more thatn a 10 foot smaller turning circle than a Ridgeline.

37.4 turning radius compared to 42.6 on the Ridgeline. That would make the Chevy much easier to handle in parking lots and any other tight space.
    The only Silverado that might (?) stand a chance of turning around in 37.4 feet would be one with 4-wheel steering, which they no longer make.

Bob
    According to this link, the Ridgeline does indeed turn around in 42.6 feet.

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID2135?mid=2005011039339&mime=asc

That's the turning "diameter," not the turning "radius." Isn't the turning radius half that of the turning diameter? If so then the Silverado's turning circle is much larger than that of the Ridgeline.

Also, which Silverado? Regular cab with short bed? Crew cab? Long bed or short bed? They all have different turning diameters depending on the wheelbase.

Bob
    "That's the turning "diameter," not the turning "radius." Isn't the turning radius half that of the turning diameter"

Whatever the verbage, the figure is the amount of space required to turn 180 degrees. One of the reasons I haven't been able to talk myself into a rigline is the handling. Nothing wrong with 42 feet, but my CR-V does a 180 in 34 feet, and I'm used to that when parking.

That, and the 30 big ones I'd need to get the RL...

Nice vehicle though.
    Bob, I believe they still make the quadrasteer. At least its all over the GMC and Chevy web page. I took numbers from an extended cab.

it is diameter. Edmunds terms it turning circle. my oops. Most pickups are 42+ with some over 50. 37 feet is outstanding for a pickup.

Out of curiosity I did a very informal survey of trucks on my 30 mile commute home. I proabably saw close to 60 pickups. 9 were quad cabs with 4 true doors. Of those 9, three had dual rear wheels (and pulling huge trailers) and two others where 3500 or F350 class. A majority were single cab basic trucks closely followed be extended cab models.
    GM stopped making the Quadrasteer sometime this year. It was a $4K+ option, and not enough people were buying them. They may not have updated their web site. Any found on dealer lots are the last (leftovers) and there won't be any more forthcoming. Quadrasteer significantly cut down on the turning diameter from that of a conventional pickup.

The Ridgeline's turning circle is in line with other comparable trucks.

Bob
  • silvertruck1silvertruck1 Member Posts: 3
    i first wrote 2 weeks ago when i had just purchased the Ridge with the moonroof, leather/ heated seats, no navigation... I was nervous about the gas milage, along with a few other things.
    Im happy to say that i could not be happier with this truck I have no beefs at all. I think this truck is excellent in so many ways. It has everything i need, just perfect.
    if i had to nitpic i would say i wish the time clock was in a different place or maybe bigger. but i think i will survive :)
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The post he was referring to is number 1357 from a few months back.

The example of using your hand out the window is, as mentioned before, deeply flawed. The bed of the truck is preceded by the cab, which changes the air flow. Last time I checked my hand did not come equipped with a cab. ;) The air flow coming over the cab will typically hit right about where the tailgate stands. On a properly designed truck, it does not hit the face of the tailgate. It hits the top edge of the gate. That's why the Avalanche and Ridgeline (plus others) have a broad, flat surface acting like a "spoiler" on the top of the gate.

In the videos at the following link, Gary Flint talks a bit about the aerodynamic considerations they addressed during the development of the Ridgeline. While he does not specifically address the issue of a bed cover, his comments do include some discussion of the overall air flow patterns caused by the cab and I believe the "spoiler" as well.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=320271

My comments in post 1357 are based on a study not unlike the one conducted by GM (Jerry's link). Though I admit the study was much older and was focused on the use of those nets people used to install in place of the upright tail gate. As confirmed in the GM study, having the tail gate up was better than having it down. And also better than using a net.

That same study also concluded that using a bed cover was not significantly better than simply leaving the tailgate up. The GM link seems to contradict those findings. I cannot explain why. Perhaps it has something do with the specific trucks used in the studies or the type of cover used on the bed.

Frankly, if the covers make such a difference in aerodynamics (and thus fuel economy), GM would be offering them standard on all trucks, so they could avoid paying CAFE fines and/or put bigger, less efficient engines in more of their trucks.
    Overall that is an excellent summary of the features and benefits inherent in the Ridgeline. But I have to take issue with one of the claims.

"The Ridgeline 4wd drivetrain is a predictive (rather than reactive) system unlike the competitors. It ALWAYS launches in 4WD mode. It removes power from the rear wheels when the conditions permit (i.e. cruise & no-slip condition). In fact, whenever throttle is being applied, the system begins to apply torque to the rear wheels."

I think you're over-stating things a bit.

Acura and Honda literature originally describing VTM-4 (back when the MDX was introduced) always stated that the AWD will direct power to the rear wheels during HARD acceleration. In later versions of the press material, they changed the wording to "torque is delivered to the rear wheels in proportion to forward acceleration to supplement front-wheel drive." [emphasis added]. Which more or less means the same thing as hard acceleration.

If you launch the vehicle with a tender foot, VTM-4 will not engage. It engages if the throttle sensor anticipates enough power delivery to cause slippage. If you are cruising on the highway and give it gas to make a sudden pass, it will probably engage. It will not react if you merely accelerate in a more gradual manner.
    Now this is getting interesting. What about when you start off from a dead stop? Are all 4 wheels engaged? What if you start off slowly, only giving it light gas? Also, is this "programmed" to engage differently than the same (similar?) units found on the Pilot and MDX? For example maybe with the Pilot and MDX it does only engage under HARD acceleration, and with the Ridgeline it engages with ALL acceleration?

There seems to be so much confusion as to how this system works. I really would like to see some definitive statement here to clarify this.

Bob
    In fact, whenever throttle is being applied, the system begins to apply torque to the rear wheels."

I think you're over-stating things a bit.

Hi Varmint, just so we're clear when you say I think you're over-stating things a bit I hope your not referring to me to me as I am not the writer of that statement.

This statement is written by Kodiak. I think you might be aware of him.

In fact, whenever throttle is being applied, the system begins to apply torque to the rear wheels."

I think I might take his word for it as he is in the loop about this. I take it to mean that the power delivered to the rear wheels is proportional to the amount of acceleration applied never amounting to more than 70% delivered to the rear even at hard acceleration. You might be be right with a feather light touch, it might not be enough to reach the threhold of triggering power to the rear, but 1/4 to 1/2 (typical acceleration) depression of the accelerator will apply power to the rear wheels most certainly. It would need to I would think just to stabalize and deliver optimal traction when towing, and also would be a great benefit in diminished road conditions.
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    OK we've heard all the stories from good to bad, but what's some real world MPG figures on the Ridgeline. With gas now over $2.50 a gallon it is painful to drive a pick up.
  • teterteter Member Posts: 8
    have you found out anytying about your tires size? I would love to put larger tires on mine any ideas? size gearing ect.....
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    ridgeline100, "Honda Ridgeline SUT" #1299, 19 Jun 2005 10:22 am

delrio, "Honda Ridgeline SUT" #1293, 15 Jun 2005 10:18 am

4wdave, "Honda Ridgeline SUT" #1286, 14 Jun 2005 1:55 pm

bubbafl, "Honda Ridgeline SUT" #1234, 3 Jun 2005 6:03 pm

bigalistheone, "Honda Ridgeline SUT" #1162, 12 May 2005 10:54 pm

looks like alot of 20s and 21s. We get right around 20-21 in our Pilot, too. So it seems the pickup shape really didn't do too much to hurt the economy. And, considering my Volvo sedan is currently getting 23 mpg, I'd say this is downright impressive for a truck/suv.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    I'm not sure I like how the instrumentation panel lights up automatically when you put in your key. Unlike all my other cars, the Ridgeline's isn't tied to the headlights, and in my opinion that's bad.

The reason is that twice now, I've left a shopping center in the evening without my headlights on, and one time, didn't notice until I was halfway home and someone flashed their lights at me.

In the past, my clue was if I couldn't see the instrumentation panel, I knew I had to turn on the lights, but now, since the instrumentation panel automatically lights up when you put in the key, I have twice now forgotten to turn on the headlights.

I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to, but I'd hate to think I'm the only person that has forgotten to turn on his headlights because of this new "feature".

I also don't suppose there is a way to turn this off either, is there?
    have you found out anytying about your tires size? I would love to put larger tires on mine any ideas? size gearing ect.....

it's not as simple as it might seem to change tires. It's not recommended.

Before modifying your wheels, you should read page 180-181 of your owners manual:

The warning in bold states:
    Improper accessories or modifications can affect your vehicles handling, stability, and performance, and cause a crash which you can be hurt or killed.

Follow all instructions in this owners manual regarding accessories and modifications.

Specific examples of what not to do are listed on page 181:

Lowering the vehicle with a non-Honda suspension kit that signicantly reduces round clearance can allow the undercarriage to hit speed bumps or other raised objects which could cause the airbags to deploy.

Raising your vehicle with a non-Honda suspension lit can affect the handling and stability.

Non-Honda wheels, because they are a universal design, can cause excessive stress on suspension components and will not be compatible with the tire pressure monitoring system.

Larger or smaller wheels can interfere with the operation of your vehicles antilock brakes and other systems.

Modifying your steering wheel or any other part of your vehicle’s safety system could make the systems ineffective.

The Ridgeline’s tires and wheels were specifically designed to meet the load rating, handling, and crash performance of this vehicle. Any aftermarket wheel will not meet the strength requirements these wheels have been subjected to. Therefore it is an exceedingly bad idea to replace them with ANYTHING other than the Honda accessory wheel. Additionally, you should be aware making this type of modification voids any warranty claim relating to the suspension, brakes or drivetrain. Proceed with caution.

Increasing the tire diameter changes the radius of the wheel which in effect changes the gear ratio. This will have a significant negative affect on the launch performance of your vehicle and is therefore ill advised.

Changing the off-set or width of the wheel significantly affects the load inputs into the suspension and wheel bearings. Again, altering the geometry of the suspension in this fashion is ill advised.

Finally, the tire was specifically developed to meet the on-road, off-road, snow performance, NVH level, and load capacity for this vehicle. If you change the tire to an alternate design, make sure the load index rating is an equivalent number (=105). This modification will significantly affect the ability to maintain safe and confident handling when your Ridgeline is loaded.
  • hockeysbackhockeysback Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this cover?

Feedback?

Cost Cdn $?

Thanks
    "What about when you start off from a dead stop? Are all 4 wheels engaged? What if you start off slowly, only giving it light gas?"

Based on how the system was explained when the MDX was introduced back in 2000, light acceleration would not engage the rear wheels. The language has changed slightly, but my interpretation is that the meaning is still the same.

However, if you goose the throttle with a little authority, power will be sent to the rear wheels immediately. The connection is done electronically, which ought to be faster than the mechanical transmission of power through the drivetrain. Based on my experience with a few MDXs and a Pilot on both wet and loose surfaces, it is very difficult to get the front tires to slip without also having the rear tires pushing. C&D once reported the ability to chirp the front tires, so I cannot say it is impossible. However, I have never been able to repeat their results.

This is how the current MDX press packet describes VTM-4....

"It works even on dry pavement to proactively distribute driving torque to all four wheels as the MDX accelerates from a stop to cruising speed. One notable benefit of this mode is that traction is immediately available to move the vehicle from rest through a slippery intersection before slippage occurs."

Notice there is no longer any mention of how much throttle must be used.

What's the difference between light throttle and hard throttle? Dunno. Based on my experience, I think the word "moderate" best describes it. The vehicles I've driven certainly did not require mashing the pedal down to provoke rear wheel action. If you are pulling a boat up a ramp, you can bet the rears are engaged. If you have the bed loaded with enough weight to make the engine work a little, you can bet the rears are engaged when you accelerate. If you are driving over level highway and take ten seconds to speed up 5 mph, the rears probably have not engaged.

"Also, is this "programmed" to engage differently than the same (similar?) units found on the Pilot and MDX? For example maybe with the Pilot and MDX it does only engage under HARD acceleration, and with the Ridgeline it engages with ALL acceleration?"

Dunno for certain. I'm guessing the answer is no. Only because the language used to describe all three vehicles is very similar. The Ridgeline's VTM-4 does have a few beefed up components (for durability). The driveshaft is one of them. However, I have not read anything suggesting that the action of the system was changed.

FWIW, the press packet for the Ridgeline uses exactly the same language as quoted above for the MDX. They changed "MDX" to "Ridgeline", but it is otherwise a word for word copy.

There have been changes to VTM-4 over the years. The system used on the MDX was enhanced a few years back. Originally, the power split was something like 50/50, but they increased the amount of power going to the rear 30%. I don't think we were ever able to figure out if that meant a total of 80%, or it was an increase of 30% from the original 50% (meaning something like 65% total). The press materials no longer publish a total. They just list the things it's capable of doing.