Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    When we were thinking about clunking our minivan, I was ready to rip out the radio and some other interior bits. From what I recall, mostly the trade-in had to make it onto the lot under its own power.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hope so, it is that odd piece of trim that'll keep you from finishing a restoration.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    edited January 2013
    Luckily only a lunatic would restore a W124 or W126, and there are MB hoarder/parters out there who keep things. For some of the less upscale cars that were clunked, maybe not so much - but I doubt anyone will be hunting down a piece of trim for a 92 Exploder.

For new cars, saw a rental Altima.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2013
    A truck load of new Mazda 6's. All different trim levels, the loaded ones with either 18's or 19's really look good. Might be the best looking midsize in the segment.

Also a few new ES350's with the Predator Grill, nice looking car otherwise.

The new (updated) Subaru Outback seems to be doing well, I've seen quite a few of them (Only giveaway that they are new is the new Blocky Foglight surrounds harkening back to the original Outback.

S60 T6 in what Volvo calls "Rebel Blue". This one was an R-design with Gun-metal rims, and lower valences around the rear exhaust tips. The nose on those is a bit too long, but otherwise a great looking car.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...deep blue Cadillac SRX spotted at Bleigh and Oxford Avenue in NE Philly and a white Cadillac XTS in the parking lot at work.
    Now why does a mid size sedan need 19s?

Overkill all the way. Think of the unsprung weight and all the extra work the brakes do to stop all that rotational inertia. I bet you could shave half a second off the 0-60 time if 16s fit on there.

Not to mention tire costs.

Sorry, end rant.
    edited January 2013
    Not to mention ride quality, either. Unless it is a leviathan old Bentley or has some amazing air suspension system, a modern car can't wear the sidewalls on a 19" wheel to make it ride acceptably - especially for a middle of the road sedan.

Speaking of new, on the 10th, Lexus announced via facebook that it would release something related to the IS Sportcross in "6 days". Today is the 24th, nothing.
    Yeah, a large car or SUV with some sidewall could handle it, but this is going to have those rubber bands for tires.

Lexus pulled off an elaborate joke to fool you specifically. ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    19" wheels come on Toyota Venzas, Tiguan SEL, etc, etc... You can't get away from them...

Poor suckers buy Venzas and Highlanders, and can't understand why they are so bad in the snow... It's ridonkulous..

A friend of mine bought a used Mazda CX-9.. had to have the Grand Touring for all the toys, but the standard wheel on that trim line is 20"!! Sucks to be him when he has to replace those $350 tires...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I think Murano has 20s.

Style over substance.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    My wife is on her 3rd Escape. 04 has 16 inch wheels, 09 has 17 inch wheels and the 13 has 19 inch wheels.
    After she drove the 13 in her first bad snow commute, she said it was no big deal.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Yeah, my wife drove the car to McDonalds with a flat front tire. It's over a mile. I don't solicit her opinions on vehicle handling, any more.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My mother left a message on our answering machine today.
    She hit a pothole and had a flat tire. The AAA guy put the donut on and said the wheel was going to need a new APS(TPMS), which would be expensive.
    I went over to see what the deal was.
    Donut on right front, check.
    Looked in the trunk. I see a Rim with 2 bands of rubber on the inside and no tire!
    She said the tire is under the storage panel, but I didn't look.
    I did go back and look at the area with the donut on it.
    The fender is bent out in front of the door and the fender liner is not attached to the fender, like it is on the other side.
    She drove at least 10 miles after getting the flat tire. :sick:
    Most of the small SUV class is all show no go. As this big wheel trend is relatively new, I suspect the buyers have no idea what they are getting into.

Funny thing, depending on how muted the styling cues are, the Sportcross might be tolerable.

Saw a Ferrari 458 out in the rain tonight.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Poor suckers buy Venzas and Highlanders, and can't understand why they are so bad in the snow... It's ridonkulous..

That's why they make 17" snow tire packages for it. I would do it but I realize most folks don't bother with winter tires anymore.
    Changing from "summer tires" to "snow tires" was an annual autumn ritual for me for many years. The last car on which I used snow tires was my 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS.

Better yet, they were studded snow tires which helped a lot on snow and ice. PA state law stated you couldn't have them on the car earlier than November 15th or later than April 15th as they tended to be rough on paved roads. Upon removal in spring, you had to mark which tire was on the left and which was on the right due to the way these tires wore.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's one ritual I don't miss. Even when I had mounted studs, it was a pain.

Both the old rides have 15" wheels. :-)

When we shopped a new MT Elantra Touring right before they changed the style, the trim had bigger "upscale" wheels. The dealer wasn't interested in any kind of swap and that dampened my enthusiasm a bit.
    ...another Cadillac XTS - this time travelling north on Tabor at Robbins in NE Philly. Funny thing is, I saw a 2000-2005 DeVille travelling east on Tabor nearby. That DeVille looked huge compared to the XTS. Heck, I always thought my similar 2007 DTS Performance was kind of petite.
    I stopped a Venza owner at a gas station one day and asked him how his 20" clad Venza was in the snow and he said it was awesome. Makes it up his 20 degree pitched driveway just fine. I know, one a single data point but still...

I did a quick check on Mazdas site and it looks like they truely are 19's. Only the base models come with 17's and there is nothing in between.

Style over substance for sure.
    Surely you remember last season tho, other than the big storm in October 2011, we (Mass.) had no snow at all.

I think that is one of the biggest problems with snow tires (at least in areas of the Country where snow season is not garaunteed), you put them on and they get worn out fast when they go a season on dry pavement. Plus IIRC, snows tend to be noisy on dry roads as well.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Surely you remember last season tho, other than the big storm in October 2011, we (Mass.) had no snow at all.

True but that is the exception rather than the norm. I spend a lot of time up north camping and skiing in the winter and things can be different 100 miles north of Boston.

I think that is one of the biggest problems with snow tires (at least in areas of the Country where snow season is not garaunteed), you put them on and they get worn out fast when they go a season on dry pavement. Plus IIRC, snows tend to be noisy on dry roads as well.

Yes they do wear faster on dry pavement and can be noisy but I'll trade that for the extra traction being available. Remember that under 40F, all season/summer tires lose grip very quickly.
    I remember a constant hum from those studded snow tires on dry pavement. One got used to it after a while.
    04 has 16 inch wheels, 09 has 17 inch wheels and the 13 has 19 inch wheels

At that rate, a 3" increase per decade, she'll have DUBs in no time. ;)

I don't change tires, I change cars. :shades:

Miata with summer gumballs for fair weather, steal the wife's Subaru for snow.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    our RDX is not too bad. only 18" on it, and I think 55 or 60 series? So pretty meaty sidewall. Still not a super common size, and expensive now. Hopefully that changes in 4-5 years when I need new ones.

I think the Santa Fe had 20s on the top line model?

I agree that most of these cars now are way too big in the wheel. 18 should be only for larger cars, and most should be fine with 16-17"

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

We just keep accumulating vehicles, a couple passed on to the kids. The best looking one is the '91 because it's in the garage and I washed it before I put the cover on it.

I spotted a couple of Panamera's at work this week. One, as expected, in an executive parking spot. The other was in the general parking lot.
    Saw one of those lifted Impreza wagons, a new Accord, and a ridiculous blacked out new style X3 with loud music inside. I couldn't see the driver through the tint, but I'll place a bet, and it isn't the typical loud thumping car lover.
    Looks beautiful in person, lots of road presence. This was a black one driving next to me in Rockville.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    edited January 2013
    I'll stick with my Kevlar lined 16's on "The Beast" over the monsters on my wife Crosstour anyday.

Odie

235/70 R16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors.
    These were the 1st set that replaced the Inegrity's. This picture was at 56k. I've just replaced with another set (same) when they hit 65k (on the 60k treadlife).
    ...red Dodge Dart travelling south on Huntingdon Pike near Susquehanna Road in Montgomery County, PA.
    Pretty sure I saw a new Avalon this morning - just caught the side, which looks like other cars, but it was bigger than a Fusion. I didn't have to see that maw, so all is well.
    On the Whitehurst Freeway.

Medium gray/silver. Aren't they all that color? Seems like it.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    Nah, they've got white ones in AZ.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    edited January 2013
    The Model S is everywhere here in the Bay Area now. I don't know if its because they are built down the road or if its the carpool lane access, but I see them pretty much daily now. Always black, grey, silver or white. I've only seen that dark red once, which is odd as it looks great in that color. Almost always driven by women, FWIW.

More impressive was the recent street sighting of an honest-to-god Audi sport quattro SWB in white. Not the earlier standard car, but the shorter homologation special for group B that was never sold in the US. These were originally made in response to the Lancia 037 and Delta S4 rally success in the mid eighties. 84 or 85 I suppose complete with the original weird proportions. Older guy driving it, and must have recently imported it now that it falls outside the 25 year rule. Genuinely impressed; I rarely do double takes on cars but this was special.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Almost always driven by women

Really? Given the cost I would expect executive men to own them. The one I saw had a male behind the wheel, 2 kids inside.
    edited January 2013
    I've seen numerous Model S in the showy eastside Seattle suburb where I live, too. There's even a dealer in my local mall.

This morning saw a new unplated C63, rental Altima and Malibu, and the dentist across the street is driving an A8 loaner car.

A Sport Quattro would be amazing to see in the US, I would fall out of my chair. Expensive piece of history, ttoo.
    Spotted today: Fisker Karma, new GL (white, of course; Whole Foods parking lot, of course)
    ...black Ford C-Max at Magee and Oxford Avenue and blue Prius V at Hartel and Rising Sun Avenue in NE Philly.
    Spotted this morning, looked like a Touring model, White (Good Color btw). Also a few new Accord Coupes and new 2014 RAV4 in Silver.

My neighbor has a new Avalon in his driveway this week. This guy had a pair of current Gen Impalas, a Caddy SRX and an Aveo (2 person household btw). Now he's down to the one Impy and the other 2.

Also noticed a new Explorer sporting quad exhaust tips yesterday. I don't think this is a stock addon so must've been aftermarket. Looked neat tho.

Oh, and then there was the H2 HUMMER on the median with a missing front wheel. I thought GM took care of that recall a few years ago. Oh snap! :lemon: :D
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    One last thing about the Model S; the headlights/LED running lamps combo on these things are the brightest, most distracting lighting I've seen on a car yet at night. It seems like too much relative to the traffic around it.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Another Tesla S tonight, and an ILX - not really new, but reminded me I saw a commercial for some wacky lease deal on one, like $239.
    Add Katskins leather to a Civic Si lease for less. ;)
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    I saw a red Tesla S with a dealer plate in a very industrial area a few weeks ago. I didn't know they were out already.

Speaking of electric cars, I see a lot more on the road lately, especially ones used by municipalities. Yesterday saw a Nissan Leaf being charged at City Hall when I went to pay my property taxes :cry: and on the road saw one of those tall narrow Mitsubishi iMievs. Quite a few Volts around too in Vancouver, I see one almost every day somewhere.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

the new civic did not seem as bad as the prior generation (in terms of seats), but that is a huge issue for me on many cars, looking at the "cheap" version vs. the "premium" version.

8 way power seats are so much better in most case than the cheap manual ones you see now (with the single lever ratchet the basically dumps you forward as you raise it) that I have eliminated a bunch of cars (Civic, Mazda3) in the past simply because I could not get the seats adjusted at a comfortable angle.

Going to the car show on Sunday with the fam. Will be test fitting all these cars to try to narrow it down to a shorter list again.
    did that 2 weeks ago. Love to do it. Your need for for a pano roof does narrow down the choices though.

I did find that Honda has rebounded from losing their way recently. the new civic was nice, and the Accord a big improvement.

No Hatches...well the Fit, but tiny gas tank and dated trans.
    so just a hatch? I feel you there. IN a small car, I want one of those too.

they should make a new integra. Considering how small it is, the moonroof seems like a pano (it is a pretty big panel, but seems huge in relation to how small the roof is!)

Saw an RX F-Sport this morning, possibly the most ironic car on the market. Also a new privately owned Fusion, and a C-Max.

Speaking of Lexus, many weeks ago on facebook they hinted at an IS Sportcross, with an announcement scheduled for Jan 14th (I think). Today, still nothing. Sad, one of the few worthwhile models they have made, and they botch it.

Saw a Tesla roadster last night.
    Are we surprised to hear tomb-like silence from Lexus? :D
    And numb lifeless response, too - some users called them out on it, with no reply. I suspect that model would actually lure over some new customers.