Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - V

Comments

• allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    I guess you feel that I'm being too hard on Chevy Trucks. I personally like the Chevy body design better than other brands and, to be honest, I used to be a chevy only guy until the mid-80's. I watched their quality go down from the late 70's to a ridiculous level. Their V8's are good old designs and you'll probably have less trouble with that then the rest of the vehicle. Chevy is credited with outrageous things like in the late 80's, rather than changing the worn Camaro body tooling at the proper periods, filling gaps with epoxy. Eventually the cars started to sqeak etc. because the parts didn't fit right. GM took the saving money approach rather than the quality approach and that's is evident. Ford , on the other hand, turned themselves around and improved their quality. Until I bought a Nissan, then a Ford, and now a Toyota, I didn't realize that you could buy a vehicle that has no problems new and continues with no problems for most of the life of vehicle. I've never met a Chevy owner that can say the same. If you are one, I consider you a lucky man. That is, of course, unless they have begun to improve their quality recently.
    Excuse me, but the line should be "cornering ability". The spell check failed me.
  • cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    The results of the Gibby cat-back are gonna have to wait a little bit. The weather turned sour here in greater Chicagoland. Can you believe snow??? Maybe things will look better in the next week or so. I should have pleanty of free time now that tax season is coming to a close.

Later,
    -C
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    you STILL dont get it. Are you SURE English is your first language?

Here ya go Cthomp. YOu show some nice gusto, even when you are down for the count:

Its not that hard.

90 Ranger-

4 safety recalls
    2 defect investigations
    339 TSB's

-----------

90 Toyota-

0 safety recalls
    0 defect investigations
    7 TSb's

-----------

90 Mazda-

o safety recalls
    0 defect investigations
    4 TSB's

-----------

90 Nissan-

1 safety recall
    1 defect investigation
    1 TSB

-----------

90 Chevy-

2 safety recalls
    4 defect investigations
    88 TSB's

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    Snow! I cant believe it either but its supposed to snow tonight. Gibson has a system for my truck also so I'm curious about the quality of their system.
    I know nothing about the build of the late 80's camaros. Yes you can buy buy a vehicle that has no problems new and continues with no problems for most of the life of vehicle. I wonder what you drove before but thats another story. If your gonna buy new it better last a while.
    This is taken directly from your original posting. You've since modified it to show something else.

----------------------

90 toyota pickup:

0 safety recalls
    7 Technical service bulletin recalls
    0 Defect Investigations
    ----------------------

Are you saying that it has 0 recalls? I'm not prone to believe that especially with the common knowledge of the head gasket recall. Please clarify.
    Used to race Chevy's when I was a kid, I've owned a 79 Camaro bought new and an 85 4X4 C10 Truck bought new. I've also done a lot of work on other peoples Chevy's so I have a lot of experience with them. I like the Trucks but they don't meet the quality levels of their rivals from my experience. As far as it getting deep, I agree but even a bozo like me seems like a genius compared to some.
  • hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    Did I say that all vehicles handle the same? Show me from one of my post that I said that. You may not be able to comprehend the written English language or maybe it is some inbred phobia to win every argumentive battle. I real do think that you are twisting Allknowing's words around just to prove a point. Hey, if you are one of those guys that has to have it thier way there is no dialogue.
    Spoog your post are factual and always informative.

Cthomp
    I am not cheering Spoog on if you want to rant that one again. LOL
    I'm not trying to confuse anyone. I'm asking YOU to explain it.

Later,
    -C
  • suckysuckysuckysucky Member Posts: 2
    Sacramento Bee has brand new Rangers advertised for less than $7,900 but base models no air
    Do you ever actually stay on a topic? It seems that you just revert to these stupid flame wars.

-C
    No safety recalls on the 1990 Toyota pickup. Spoog is right on the money.

PS No I am not cheering Spoog on.
    Yes, there are 0 safety recalls on the '90 Toyota p/u. That's right on the money.

I was asking him to explain what the "7 Technical service bulletin recalls" were before he changed the wording to "TSB's" in subsequent posts.

Are those TSB's or recalls? Wasn't there at least 1 recall that year for the 3L head gasket replacement?
    Thanks for the words, but I was trying to fair. Apparently there are some here that look at fairness in a different light.

One of my favorite quotes is from Kahlil Gibran that fits this situation is, "I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers."
    I got around to installing the cat-back this afternoon. Two things were quite the pain.

First was getting off the old exhaust system. It involved pleanty of cutting with the hacksaw. My raw knuckles are still recovering. Maybe easier or harder for you. I don't know.

Second was fitting the pieces together to line up properly. I still haven't got it quite right yet. There's a slight leak at the cat mounting flange because it's slightly crooked. I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and take it to the muffler shop to have them adjust it.

Other than that, I'm very pleased with the power increase and exhaust note. It has transformed the exhaust note into an almost-V8 burbly rumble. It's not too loud and almost sounds stock in the cab during idle or cruising speed. It's quite a bit louder than stock at WOT, but not a bumble-bee type of note. The truck accelerates a bit easier now and shifts earlier as enough power is available sooner to push the next gear. A worthy gain, although my truck now has more bark than bite.

A suggestion, if Borla makes a system with less pieces, then I'd go for that one. The Gibson has 4 pieces (5 if you count the stainless tip), which is the cause of my alignment trouble. They could easily have gotten away with 3 or even 2 if they combined the pipe that connects to the cat with the muffler. It would have made it much easier and less frustrating.

Feel free to post any questions. I'll know in a few weeks if the claims of improved mpg are true.
    I absolutely cannot stand the system that mounts the spare tire under the bed. It uses a cable to hold the tire. You must crank it down with a jack extension. I've now got the jack extension jammed in the crank. It couldn't be removed by any means I could think of such as tugging, yanking, cursing, banging, cursing, making faces at it, cursing some more, etc... I guess I'm off to the shop tomorrow to have it removed. Then, the spare is going to be anchored in the bed. A buddy of mine had the exact same problems with a Ford van of his.

What have you Toyota guys got on your trucks?
    I live sw of Chicago also.....near Joliet... I know Gibson makes a system for my truck but I'm not sure if Borla does (they do for the extra cab)
    I'd prefer Borla. I'm waiting on my tax return before I do too many mods to the truck but my Hypertech reprogrammer should be here soon!
    I have the same system for my spare and thats one reason I want a locking bed cover.....I think most trucks are like that.
  • xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    Cthompson21 -

Does your setup now have 2 tailpipes coming out of the Gibson muffler? If so, where are they routed? Also, do you know anything about the Flowmaster 3 chamber muffler? I've heard that it has a low interior resonance factor and a fairly quiet exhaust note. I've got a '99 B3000 4WD 5-spd and would like to add a catback system. I have already installed the KKM True Rev. Thanks...
    It sounds like you're just a stone's throw away from me! I live in the village of Plainfield. If you happen to see a 1998 regular cab, LB, forest green Ranger driving around, that would be me (or my wife). I haven't seen any others with the same color/cab config in the area.

If you go to carparts.com and input your truck's particulars, it will show you the exhaust systems available. I'm sure that Borla probably makes one.

I just wish those lids weren't so expensive. My father-in-law has got one on his Ranger that's formed with a buldge similar to the front of his truck (98 Ranger also). It looks very good but costs about $700.
    The Gibson has a single out tailpipe. Everything is routed in the same fashion as the stock system.

I've heard that Flowmasters sound and perform great but are a bit on the louder side.

Borla is supposedly the quietest with very good power and performance gains.

I'd probably go with Borla now if given the choice. Stainless will last forever. Maybe they have less pieces making for an easier install. My wife slapped my [non-permissible content removed] with a budget after I had just bought a new computer and snowmobile, so I went with the Gibson.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Cthompson21, you are beating your head against a brick wall! when talking with spoog. He is a fanatic Toyota fan and believes all Toyota's are perfect, perfect, will never breakdown. He doesn't even own a Tacoma, in the past he has given data, said things about offroading that were a joke to prove he doesn't own a Tacoma. He consistanlty brings up the NHSTA site numbers but never wants anyone to actually read each post, because of duplication and the ones that are for stickers or labels. Hind, and others will back him in everyway evertime.
    Try and try as they may the Ranger remains the compact truck of choice by consumers. It has been for the last 13 years!! And will probably remain so with the new engines Ford is going to offer over the next three years.
    By the way, yesterday at my daughters soccer practice I spoke with a parent about his possibility of buying a compact truck. He had all his sights set on the Toyota. That was until I gave him crash test data, now he is seriously rethinking his choice! Education is bliss.....
    One question is why are you in almost every Ford topic with the exception of the Ford van? I
    have the Ford Taurus and visited that topic a few times in the past and have noticed you waving
    that Ford flag like it was some icon to behold. I will say with honesty that the Taurus is a good
    vehicle, but not a great vehicle. Is it no small wonder that you continue here just to show that
    Ford is that icon? Behold that icon that you hold so dearly next to you has hid safety issues
    from the NHTSA and were forced to recall a significant number of vehicles.

About the Ford Ranger if Ford was really decent about it they would put in the skid plates as
    standard equipment like the Tacoma. Dealers like those options period.

I was away recently on a vacation and you said that you have a web link for your Ranger. Is the
    link yours?

There is one special trait that Spoog has over you, Vince. The man is able to admit that he is
    wrong and has apologized for his conduct. Before you knock a person ask yourself the question
    are you better position to judge someone else.

Protagoras:
    "Humanity is the measure of all things."
    In answering your qustion that you posed earlier I have not modify or done any work on my exhaust system. In all honesty I would let the dealer make the repairs if needed.
    As for skidplates, my '98 4x4 has one for the transfer case and gas tank. My father's '00 4x4 has added a front skidplate. But, for the type and amount of offroading I do, I don't consider any of them a necessity for myself.

I don't need to have repairs made per se. It just needs a little adjustment to line up the flange pipe to the cat more squarely to eliminate the small leak. After banging up my hands for 2 hours and getting a jack extension jammed in the spare tire crank, I'm more than willing to shell out some cash to have someone else with more experience and better tools perform the adjustment.

I'll take it to the shop where my uncle, who owns a body shop, sends cars for mechanical repairs. I can get it done right for cheap. Although the dealer just down the street from me has an excellent service department (ford-go figure), they'll probably charge me an arm and a leg. Maybe I'll the dealership about when I take the truck in to have the jack extension fished out.

Oh well, thanks for the advice.
    Spoog may occasionally admit when he's wrong. But, he never answers any questions posed to him.

Recently, I asked him about the recall/TSB about the '90 Toyota. I got a "You STILL don't get it. Is English your first language?" as a response.

If it should be TSB and not recall because it's a typo, just say so. I was only asking for clarification on the info that he posted, as the info was somewhat contradictory (whether TSB or recall).
    It was TEchnical Service Bulletin, the recall that was added on to the TSB was a typo.

It still proves you ABSOLUTELY wrong about your choice of the 90's trucks. You cam close with the MAzda and Nissan...but the 90 Ranger and s-10? lol.
    You are correct on some points. However, you are negating the issue and going back to your
    arguments with Spoog. Fair game in to argue that point, but my post was to emphasis if a man that has no ability to apologize then is that man capable of judging others. Have you ever seen
    Vince come close to apologizing for his statements?
  • mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    I listen to WNCW all day long and all night as I dont watch too much TV. I have been to both festivals you mentioned and am much looking forward to festival season. Ever been to Green Acres? It looks like I may break my streak of Merlefest appearances as I am considering going to Jazzfest in New Orleans and take advantage of having a good friend that lives there now. It will be difficult but after the rain and cold weather at last years merlefest and this weeksends snow in the mtns I am pretty sure it will be warm in New Orleans. It all depends on flight prices or finding someone who will ride with me down there.
  • trenttrent Member Posts: 86
    Never made it to Green Acres but I here of a lot of people playing there and it sounds like a cool place. Been to fiddlers grove and would like to go to the festival in Galax someday.
    You ever eat at Lupies or go to the Neighborhood Theater?
    I've got a good friend from the outer banks that goes to the New Orleans jazz fest every year. Charlotte use to have a decent jazz fest but it lost sponsors.
    Morris here. Yeah I was thinking $600 for the lids (from truck mags). My truck is a reg cab black shortbed S10, with many cousins, I've seen quite a few like mine! BTW you said the 4.0 SOHC engine might be detuned for the Ranger, but I've heard otherwise, looks like the Rangers getting 205 horses next year.
    I probably eat at Lupies every week and live about 2 blocks from the Neighborhood Theatre. Several weeks back I saw Michael Reno Harrell open up for Tony Rice and Peter Rowan but I missed the Jerry Douglas show there this past Friday. I am also having to give up free tickets to see Bela Fleck tomorrow night on the campus of Wake Forest because I cant make it. There is some kind of music festival going on in downtown Charlotte with Widespread Panic but it is the same weekend as Merefest and Jazzfest so it looses out. Where in NC are you located?
    You're 'bout 20 min from my place. Ever try the "Ethel" at Our Place? Man, a 4lb burger. It costs $20, but you get it for free if you eat the whole thing. I'm trying to work up the guts to attempt an Ethel.
    See how painless that was? Now, onto the trucks.

Weren't those 2 recalls for the S10 for a 2.5L fanblade and a mailtruck? Neither one of those was close to my choice, a 4.3L S10.

What were the 4 recalls on the Ranger for?

What about the Toyota? 1990 is one of the years affected by the head gasket problem. Shouldn't there be a recall on it? Did Toyota not issue anything and is just fixing the ones that come in with blown head gaskets under some sort of extended coverage warranty?

BTW, there is no wrong in choice. I would choose a vehicle without common major-mechanical and cosmetic problems over the Toyota where you've got about a 50% chance of head gasket failure (on the V6) and a bed that rusts through in less than 10 years.
    I'm not defending vince or saying that I agree or disagree with his posts. He is definately a Ford FANATIC and goes a bit to the extreme (maybe like someone else here with Toyota???).

I enjoy debating about the merits and shortfalls of each truck (and other items brought into the fray).

I don't enjoy when someone chooses to make it personal and start calling names or posting the little "you're stupid" remarks. I admit that some of my responses were thoughtless and immature. Maybe I should have given things a little more thought before my fingers hit the keyboard...

Later,
    -C
    SJ2K

I'm not quite sure what's going on with the Cammer in the Ranger. It's rated to put out 210hp and 240ft/lbs in the Explorer but preliminary ratings for the 2001 Ranger show 205hp and 235ft/lbs. It should be a worthwhile upgrade for the Ranger in either case.
    We all have said things that we probably shouldn't have in this forum. All of the apologies are causing me to tear up though. I luv ya man.
    The Tacoma has the same type of spare tire. I believe that it is easier to disconnect the extension though because you can easily reach the connection from under the Toyota and it attaches with a hook on the end of the extension. I've never had to use the one on my wife's Ford so I'm not sure what you're facing.
    I read that they lowered the HP to 205 HP but raised the torque to 245 for the upcoming Ranger. The Explorers move pretty good with that engine so the Ranger should be pretty strong.
  • trenttrent Member Posts: 86
    Small world, I'm in Charlotte as well. That's a great area you live in. Have several friends that live / work in North Charlotte. I haven't had the chance to eat at John's restaurant since he left Lupies and opened in your neighborhood.
    If you spot a Ranger with a "eddie from ohio, folkin excellent" bumper sticker say hello.
    I will keep an eye out for you. What color is your Ranger? Honk if you see a silver TRD Tacoma. There is one other in town that I know of but it has virginia plates. Mine has a small black Toyota of Boone tag in the front. Hopefully it will soon have a cap on the bed. I suppose you are talking about Fat City since I worked with a guy in Boone that said he used to work with the owner of Fat City at Lupies. Actually had luch at Lupies yesterday. See you around.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Hind, the pictures are mine, CP posted them for me. I don't know why you have such a problem believing I own a Ranger an live in the beautiful NW. I have proved this to you by the pictures.
    Why is it a Toyota fanatic or fanatics are ok, but a Ford fanatic is not? I like Spoogs traits too, he has fumbled many times to prove he doesn't own a Tacoma.
    I like my Ranger, feel its the best value on the market for a compact truck. Have never had any problems with it, nor my first one. I will continue to buy Rangers in the future and spread the word too that the Ford Ranger is number 1 in the compact truck arena and the consumer has shown this for the last 13 years!
    The Ranger does have skidplates in front for the 00 model, and they can be retrofitted for pre 00 models if needed. But, if you look at the front suspension of a Ranger and then look at a Tacoma, the Rangers suspension components are tucked up and away.
    The truth here is most folks use their trucks "offroad" maybe 5% of their driving time. The Ranger is the best all around compact truck on the market today.
  • wfd146wfd146 Member Posts: 4
    I currently own a '97 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and I am looking to down size. I like the Ford Ranger but there is one problem, 160hp! When will Ford get they're stuff together and get a 190hp to 200hp V6? They have one with the SOHC 4.0 (205hp) offered in the Explorer! Compared to other smaller pickups V6's, Ford is way behind, Nissan 3.3 170, Toyota 3.4 190, Chevy 4.3 190, and Dodge 3.9 175. Toyota even has a 4 cylinder with only 10 less hp's than the Ranger! I realize the 4.0 has a little more torque, but for normal driving (like most of us do) we need more horsepower. If Ford would put a bigger V6 in their Ranger, this would be the best compact truck on the market......HANDS DOWN!
    "If Ford would put a
    bigger V6 in their Ranger, this would be the best
    compact truck on the market......HANDS DOWN"

No it wouldn't. It may makes the Ranger faster, but Ford is still using the revamped highway favored supsension.

Im sure it will be a decent commuter/home depot truck. But it still will not be designed at all with any offroading in mind.

For that, you need a Tacoma, Wrangler, 4runner, Land Cruiser, Or Cherokee.
    The 2001 Ranger (available sometime this summer) will have the SOHC 4.0 available. It will produce around 205hp and 240ft/lbs of torque. This is the same engine in the Explorer. Rangers were originally due to receive the new engine in as early as 1998. But, Ford couldn't even fill the demand for the engine in the Explorer (Ford's bread & butter and more profitable than the Ranger). So, it's been a long time coming.

As for hp vs. torque, horsepower is merely a function of torque that is derived using a constant (I forget the formula).
    I'd rather spend $20 (or less) on Nancy's pizza, ever try it? Got the reprogrammer yesterday, takes about 10 min to change settings.
    No, I've never had it. Good? My numero uno choice would be Papa Del's in Champaign. It's expensive, and you have to wait over an hour for it to cook. But, it's worth it.

What do you think about your chip? Hypertech, right? I'm thinking about a Superchip for my next mod. I hear that they work extremely well with a induction kit and cat-back. It should help firm up my shift points too.

You figure out what you're gonna do for a catback yet?
    Horsepower = ( Torque * RPM ) / 5252
    I saw a funny commercial for Toyota last night about a group of guys sitting in a room talking to a counsler/therapist about their truck obsessions when they all start fighting about which truck is better the Ranger, Tacoma, or S-10. Needless to say it ends up in a big wrestling match. I couln't help but laugh and think about this discussion.
This discussion has been closed.