Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford ESP -- dealer or online ?

2»

Comments

• joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    I have replied to your inquiry.

Thanks!!!!!!!
    Thanks, Tony!!! Let me know if you ever need anything.
  • racafordracaford Member Posts: 3
    Help we need do decied on an ESP propsal we have just recieved from Ford. Can someone give us an idea if this is worth purchasing?- Thanks
  • gardinerrgardinerr Member Posts: 39
    The ESP pricing from Ford is usually a little high. Make sure you compare it to a dealer's online pricing like www.myFordWarranty.com to make sure it is inline. Also as of today April 2nd, some diesel plans were lowered by up to $800.

A Ford ESP is smart as Ford Diesel engines have had some reliability problems and can be very expensive to repair.
    Send an email to the address in my profile with what you got and I will let you know what kind of deal you got.
  • bhaugenbhaugen Member Posts: 6
    Joel...just checking on the status of my F-150 ESP. I emailed you with my VIN.
    Thanks, Brent H.
    Check you e-mail. It is GTG.
    :) Thanks a bunch to Joel for the follow up!
    Also thanks to everyone who replied and to Edmonds who provides us this forum. :)
  • dlmxdlmx Member Posts: 1
    Just sent you a messge Joel at your email in your profile.
    I sent the info to ya.

Thanks!!
  • ravenecwravenecw Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking for a PremiumCare Extended warranty 7yr/75,000mile (prefer $0 deductible but pricing at the $100 and $50 deductible as well) for a 2008 Ford Focus (less than 3 weeks old) aprox. 350 miles on it. I have been pricing them here and there but anyone can tell me what is a good price that would be great!
    :shades: check with joel0622 on this forum. he is really helpful!
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Are you sure you need an extended warranty for your Focus? It's covered by a 3 yr/36k miles bumper to bumper warranty and the powertrain is covered by a 5 yr/100k miles warranty. An extended warranty seems like a waste of money.
    Well, I was plan on keeping the vehicle for many years and thought it might be a good thing, thinking it is a low end model car and things can break just as easy (if not easier), especially the electronics- why do you not think this is a good idea? Just curious.... (and don't all cars and trucks come with the 3yr/36k bumper to bumer and 5yr/100k powertrain? why would a warranty for one car be good and an extended warranty on a Focus not be good?)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    the higher line model you have, the more it would be worth it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Well maybe that is true however the warranty is also cheaper for a car like the Focus too comparing it to say a F-150. I have no idea if getting a warranty is worth it or not, but I am looking so I have a price in mind and can decide then. Obviously it's like insurance, it's no good to a person unless you need it and use it. The prices I have been quoted for an extended warranty so far though is making me think it could be worth it, 7yrs is a long time regardless of miles and anything can go wrong (even little things like the radio or power windows are expensive these days). (and those little things can add up as far as price and fixing them too- my only worry is that they somehow say it's not covered by warranty because of this or that, has anyone had problems getting something fixed? That probably is the better question in all of it!)
    Not all cars come with the 5 yr/100k mile powertrain warranty. Some only cover 36k miles while others cover 60k miles or even 100k miles. The extended warranties I've seen cover pretty much the same as most manufacturer's powertrain warranty. It's not going to cover wear and tear items which many things are classified when you reach a certain mileage or year.

Electronics in a car like the Focus don't scare me. The biggest worry you have is Sync. While it is innovative and a great feature, would you really lose sleep if it broke in 6 years? Don't you think something better would be on the market by then?

Also why spend $1200 today for a warranty that won't take affect until 2011 at the earliest? If you have the cash, save that money for repairs (self insure). If you plan to fiancace the warranty, that is $20 per month you save; enough for 5 gallons of gas.

It's your call. I just don't think it is wise to buy an extended warranty on a vehicle that is already covered to 100k miles.
    interesting point of view i guess, I'll have to think about (i have time)- i'm looking at spending $800 to extend the warranty out to 7yr/60,000miles for the premiumcare (that is most like bumper to bumper and would cover power windows, power moonroof, and things like that, just like the bumper to bumper would now). Maybe it isn't worth it I don't know, but i'm throwing the idea around and maybe it is a waste of money (most warranties are) I was just thinking that extending it out for $800 on a car I paid $16,000 for wasn't a bad thing. I do appreciate the replies though and not sure what to do right now!
    Also why spend $1200 today for a warranty that won't take affect until 2011 at the earliest?

HOLLY CRAP!!! Who is paying $1200 for a Focus VSC. Send them my way please, I sell 4x4 F150 contracs cheaper then that

It amazes me that all of the budget minded people here who plan on buying a VSC would not buy it at point of sale but instead wait 3 years when it will be at least $200 more expensive.
    Now joel0622, I was using that number for my example.

I just don't see the need for an extended warranty on this vehicle. Ford has it covered for 3 yr/36k miles bumper to bumper and 5 yr/100k miles powertrain. There are other things I can do with that money....
    Just using that number for an example.

I just don't see an extended warranty being a good buy for this vehicle.
    The PT warranty on the Focus is now 60K like the rest of our line.

Like I have always said, 50% of the time I deal with with folks who either buy warrantys or they don't, and no sales pitch is going to change there mind.

But on a focus I see it as a no brainer to pay $600 for a 6yr/100K Premium Care. If you self insure and put that $600 in the bank you normally can't get diddley fixed for $600 any more.

Now on Something like a Diesel truck where that same plan cost $3K+ then it is a roll of the dice. If it was me I would pass on the Premium Care and buy the 200K Engine Care Plan for around $1800. That keeps me from ever having to shell out $12K+ for a long block.
    I guess it all depends on how many miles you put on a vehicle each year. I'm willing to bet that nothing major is going to happen with my Focus in year number 6. ON a Diesel truck, I may buy that 200k Engine Care Plan.

To each their own. nOrmally I don't try to pursuade people one way or another unless they ask. Like you said, most people have their minds made up before hand.
  • arahsib1arahsib1 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if anyone knows how much an ESP would cost an my F150 w/43k miles. I called a dealer but they want almost $2k for the PreiumCare program that lasts 48 months or 48k miles with a $100 deductable. I haven't had any problems with the vehicle so far but would like to get some insureance...though $2k seems steep for that plan.

Any guidance on where to go would be greatly appreciated!
  • bofbof Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Freestyle last year. I like it. It's really a good car.I want to keep it for a long time. I'm thinking maybe it's worth it tobuy an ESP. 7 years/100000 miles, it costs about $2K.
    Can somebody advice me?
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Try fordwarranty.com fordwarrantys.com (Lombard ford in CT) fordesp.com ford-esp.com. Try a google search to find real Ford dealers that sell these at a discount. I don't have any recents figures on these, but was looking at the GM version (GMPP) the other day and the 6th and 7th years were more expensive that adding miles to the contract. But on the GMPP if you bought a 5 year plan, the 5 years starts from when you purchase, so if you bought a year ago buying a 5 year plan would cover years 2-6.
  • 2008FordTaurus2008FordTaurus Member Posts: 2
    I was contemplating buying a PremiumCare ESP for my 2008 Taurus Limited AWD. We drive about 8k a year and I was looking towards a $0 deductible 7yr/60k warranty.
    We have had the car in for warranty work twice since purchase in September of 2007 for a new battery and a drivers door window motor.
    There is so much more on this car than our last car.
    The price was around $1150 online. I can afford repair bills but don't know how reliable this car will be.
    Any thoughts on the car's reliability and the price of warranty?
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Hum...you bumper to bumper is 36 month/36,000 miles. Powertrain is 60 months 60,000 miles. Would be getting another 4 years for window motors, etc...only would really pay off if several expensive items went out. I could not find my earlier quotes from on-line vendors, but the $1150 seems a little higher than I remember for that short a coverage time...but maybe I'm not remembering very well. You are kind of on the border being able to justify...thing bound to fail might just happen within the first 3 years...other long term failure items would seem to be more likely at above 60 K miles... Just noticed the AWD...might be a little more worth it for AWD and probably explains the higher cost...I was researching FWD or RWD, not AWD which would be more expensive. Don't know about more likely to fail or need work on this vehicle.
  • 2008FordTaurus2008FordTaurus Member Posts: 2
    Perhaps I am intimidated by a car that has so much on it. The AWD system is new for 2008. By going with a 84mo/60k, I would be extending the warrantee on the balance of the car by four years. I think that the quote from Lombard is higher as than you might have thought as I purchased my Taurus over 12 months ago and I believe that there is a surcharge for buying after one year from the date of purchase.
    That plan can be had for $760. I am not soliciting on this board. I am just telling you that $400 can be saved for you. I am not soliciting on this board. I did not tell you to email me at the addy in my profile. :D
  • teleskierteleskier Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a 2001 7.3L Diesel 4x4 with 63K miles on it. The Ford ESP for used vehicles is available in 48/48 in the extra care plan. My dealer quoted me $3115 while online at www.fordwarrantys.com they quote it at $2665.

My question is whether you would consider the ESP valuable to have on this vehicle and does anyone know the true dealer cost of this plan?
    Missed this one. Do you still need some info?
  • datahounddatahound Member Posts: 1
    Wondering what a good price is for PremiumCare 6/100,000 at $0 and $50 for a new 2010 Fusion Hybrid with package 502A?

Also wondering what a 6/100,000 premium maintenance contract should cost?

Thanks.
  • jon91jon91 Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in a 7 year premium care with a $50 deductible for a 2008 Taurus AWD with under 36000 miles. Any suggestions?
  • tobey1tobey1 Member Posts: 2
    what do you think about Ford ESP Premium Care 6yr/100K warranty with 3yr/45K miles maintenence pkg for hybrid for $2700?
  • jprocjproc Member Posts: 135
    isn't the powertrain warranty on a ford 5/60 to begin with? ( I have a focus but I don't remember exactly what warranty is).Irregardless on the Honda CRV we have we bought a 7-100 for $ 875 and I don't think Honda's original powertrain warranty is as good as Ford's.

So IMHO 2,700 is simply off the charts to expensive
  • tobey1tobey1 Member Posts: 2
    yes powertrain is 5/60- do you think that is only or main thing to worry about? the ext warranty covers everything - sync, a/c,.. bumper to bumper..
  • jprocjproc Member Posts: 135
    Powertrain is the most expensive stuff but I don't understand why a warranty on a Ford should be 3 x as expensive as a warranty on a Honda..Makes no sense and I suspect you could easily get the warranty offered to you for half the quoted cost.Good luck to you.
  • ptoyptoy Member Posts: 1
    Anyone out there knows the pricing for the Ford ESP TireCare Program? What are the terms and is it worth it? I bought a 2009 used MKS with custom wheels and trying o protect my tires/wheels package. Thanks!
  • capempcapemp Member Posts: 1
    Is $1850 a good price for a 5yr/60k extracare warranty on a 07 Freestyle awd with 59k miles on it? This is the price from Lombard Ford and the best price I could find online. Can I do better elsewhere? Hassett Ford quoted me 4yr/48k premium care at $2500. Thanks
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    edited June 2011
    I got a quote from them on a new Explorer.
    It was about 65% less than I was offered by the selling dealer.
    Does your quote include the coupon discount?
    One thing about these Service Plans, even though they Ford plans, it has to be turned in at the selling dealership if canceled early to get a pro rated refund.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
This discussion has been closed.