Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius Basic Care & Maintenance

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Ask the dealer to show you where these things are required in the Owners manual. If they aren't there, they aren't needed.
  • scott102scott102 Member Posts: 2
    What is this? When I need to get a replacement battery, does it have to have this wire connection?
  • paramedic5329paramedic5329 Member Posts: 4
    I was asst. svc mgr for a Toyota dealer in the late 70's and early 80's. Toyota had a problem with the 18rc engine, the corona /celica motor and they blamed it on the oil filters., Aftermarket oil filters they blamed for al the problemsz but ones with Toyota parts failed too. It went to the FTC and ended up in courts. The ruling was if the filter stated meets or exceeds mfg specs it is ok and is not a reason to invalidtae a warranty so Toyota had to pay for all those engines.
    Use the best grade oil and foillow the API rating in the ownerts manual. All oils have a rating from the American Petrolium Institue and as long as the oil is at or above the latest or listed in manual rating you are good. The filter must say mets or exceeds mfg. specs. I usually use a Fram filter in all my cars and have had good luck for over 30 years. I was told by Hyundai that I should use their filter as the other brands may give me a slight lifter tap on start up but have over 20,000 on an Elantra and never had the lifter noise [I know lifter knocks very well working for a dealer for 10 years]. The meets or exceeds means it meets or exdfceeds all parameters such as bypass valve etc.
    I am waiting for my Prius and when I get it I will do the oil changes with Mobil 1 or any good synthetic. Since they recdommend a 5000 mile for oil change I will do less of them and can afford better oil. Using synthetic sends a message and consedrves more of the petrolium ground based oil as these are made by man
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    As to the Prius and winter snow conditions ...Consider that the Prius is just a shade over 3,000lbs. That's a light-weight these days. Knowing this the driver must drive accordingly. I presently have 88K miles on an '04 Prius and have come to know its' quirks and limitations. By the way, I live in NW Indiana where snow is a very real issue. About those quirks ect. The drivetrain (front wheels) do slip from time to time on hard accelleration (wet and/or snow & ice) After a few slips you adjust your take off, otherwise the car does well in snow.
    As to maintenance: I change oil...air & oil filters...wipers....spark plugs ...and tire rotation. I take it to local tire place for the "much needed" wheel alignment and balance. I'm on my 2nd set of tires and was told by a trusted mechanic @ Toyota to be sure and get wheel alignment by 40 K (possibly sooner if there are telltale sign of wheel vibration, pulling or wheel wobble.
    Last thing....If you ever have to replace a hd light bulb, leave it to the dealer. It's a son-of -a-gun. My dealer just charged 10 bucks and it was worth it. ;)
  • graydontgraydont Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Prius. Can someone tell me how to change the engine air filter? I know how to change the cabin air filter, but I can't find anything about the engine. I've already purchased the engine air filter, as well. Thanks!
  • snowboarder4snowboarder4 Member Posts: 42
    While we are on routine maintenance, I was changing the oil and looking for grease points. I am guessing that unlike the trucks on which I have worked that everything is sealed. Please provide suggestions on suspension lubrication for the Prius. After how many miles does a Prius need to go to the shop for thorough maintenance beyond filter and oil changes? :sick:
  • florida_wenflorida_wen Member Posts: 29
    This is where you will find some very helpful information and illustrations for the tasks you wish to perform:

http://john1701a.com/
  • hstar1960hstar1960 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2005 Prius used at 31,000 miles 2 years ago. It now has 52,000 on it and I have only changed the oil every 5,000. Is there something else I should be doing? The owners manual just says to inspect this or that at designated miles.
  • florida_wenflorida_wen Member Posts: 29
    I heard the brakes in a Prius last almost forever but I would check them along with any rubber boots covering C.V. joints and also the exhaust system. Probably a few more items but I can't think of them at the moment !!
  • fseaverfseaver Member Posts: 13
    The owners manual for 2008 Prius makes it real simple with its diagrams to make simple repairs.
  • pat04priuspat04prius Member Posts: 1
    THANK YOU very much for your info. I had a Prius 2004 and I'm looking for this info for 2 wks.
    Have a Happy Holiday and a Happy New Year. :)

Pat.
    pat_tharavej@live.com
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    This is appropriate for this forum as well.... it may answer several questions for new members.

My 2005 Prius just reached 100,000 miles this week after 37 months.

I keep track of everything. My records have records,LOL

Every tank except the last 4 or 5 has been entered on the GH database. The lifetime fuel economy is 47.9 mpg. This is the 'real' number, Tot Miles Driven / Tot Gal Pumped.

So what has this cost me in Maintenance? Don't be shocked by some of the following..

All services done at or near the 5000 mi scheduled interval:

Oil and filters .................... $ZERO ! (All vehicles get O/F Free for Life)
    4 new tires 50000 mi .......................... $275
    2 replacement tires for road hazards ..... $180
    16 tire rotations ................................... $320
    3 rotate and balance............................. $90
    2 sets of wipers..................................... $5
    ... Subtotal: Rubber .......................... $870

2 engine flushes ( my choice ).............. $150
    1 rear replacement bulb............................... 10 cents
    1 lower grill facia replacement................. $30
    2 air filters............................................. $30
    3 cabin air filters.................................... $90

3 minor accidents
    broken rims, deer, other driver................ $750 deductibles.

The next service at 103,000 miles will be the first 'major' service where all the normal service is done plus the engine/inverter coolant drain/replace.

Excluding the 3 deductibles the total costs for maintenance has been about $1150 almost all of which is for rubber. The Oil/Filters Free for Life is unusual certainly except in this area. It's a significant piece of change since I get 7 or 8 free services every year.
  • laughen59laughen59 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Ken,
    I live in Northern Illinois and once again we've had a ton of snow and the Prius sucks in snow and ice. The wheels spin all the time. I'm reluctant to spend the money on new tires as I just bought this car in June and can't really afford to. So then I would have to pay for a shop to switch the tires over every season at more cost. I might have to though because I drive 33 miles to work one way on an open interstate that is bad with snow and ice. Maybe you can help me with another question, plus I'll start a new thread I think. On my way home tonight, wind chill 30-40 below, it suddenly lost some power then kicked in again and a light on the dash came on that looks like half a circle with an exclamation point in the middle. What does that mean? I haven't looked in my manual yet and hoped I could get a quick answer. Thanks! Laughen59
    While driving home tonight in 30-40 below windchill my Prius suddenly lost some power then kicked in again. The light on the panel looks like half of a circle where the top is open and an exclamation point in the middle. What does that mean? I haven't looked at my manuel yet and was hoping for a quick answer.
    Thank you.
    Laughen59
  • downinbhdowninbh Member Posts: 7
    Did you ever figure out what was going on? I just went out to start my 2003 prius and it's dead. I'm in SW Michigan and it has been recorde cold. It started yesterday. All the service people are closed. What did you end up finding out about your prius and the cold? Anyone else know anything?
    The light that came on meant that the tires were low and they were. The other problem I had due to the cold is that I couldn't put gas in it. The pump handle kept clicking off like it was full. I went to another station and it did the same damn thing. I paid 7 dollars and something and the gas gage never moved off 3 bars. I called the dealer in Monroe, WI and he said it has an expandable gas tank and something about it being so cold. I don't understand and had to get to work so I couldn't run it to the dealer. I am not happy about this at all....how stupid is it that you can't put gas in it? :mad: :( :lemon:
  • cheepercheeper Member Posts: 5
    I've read about others having problems putting gas in. They say, try to pull out the nozzle a bit, try other pumps; some pump slower. Good luck!
    The Gen 2 Prius' have a fuel bladder inside the normal gas tank. This bladder helps in minimizing evaporative emissions, but for some it's a PITA. The Prius is the only vehicle that has it.

Don't worry about it. Yes if it's very cold the bladder will be very stiff and it won't allow a complete fillup. Just go with the flow ( ewww ) and try to bleed some in until you get a near-full tank. If it won't take as much as you'd like drive for a while and get the vehicle warmed up ... then try again.
  • temsleytemsley Member Posts: 4
    I went in for an oil change and the dealer ship said that I needed a new cabin air filter for the price of $69. I said no and looked up how to change it at home. It could not be easier. Is it ok to buy a non Toyota air filter for about $20 or do I need to use a Toyota brand cabin filter? Also, is a cabin filter and an air filter the same thing? The one that I am talking about is accessed through the glove compartment.
    Thanks.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    "Air filter" traditionally means the engine air filter. This is normally not replaced for 30K miles on Toyotas (except for driving on desert or unpaved roads).

The cabin air filter is easily checked and replaced as you found out. I don't know if the aftermarket filter will be as good -- probably better to go with the OEM Toyota one.
    Well, it's time to pass on an "I told you so," concerning the rear wiper. When the blade went bad on my '04 Prius in '07 I was lucky enough to find a replacement blade back then with no trouble. Last week I had to replace the same Rr Blade once again but this time the blade I bought would no fit in the arm. So I splurged and bought the whole arm & blade combo for $14.00. Unfortunitely, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the blade & arm released from the main arm. My local parts dealer attempted to remove it and after struggling for 7-8 minutes gave up. I went home and continued the battle until I finally realized that I was forcing the blade assembly the wrong "usual way" ( not toward the base but away from it. After getting it finally off I proceeded to attempt to snap on the new arm& blade to the unit only to fail when the plastic main arm broke.I ended up buying a new arm for $40.00. This was a painfull and time consuming experience and not to be repeated. I hope you Prius owners learn from my demise. Good Luck!
    What does OEM mean?
    Please explain further......if you would go to the dealer right off would that have been very expensive or worth not going thru the hassle you had?
    I'm old school and still like to do things myself (as much as possible). My dealer is 17 miles away and the issue I refer to is (USUALLY) a simple fix. Not so with the Prius. Sometimes I think they deliberatly make simple repairs and/or replacements difficult and unnecessarily so. Try changing a head light bulb in these (and other cars) nowdays. There a pain. By the way, OEM parts are good but sometimes optional parts are just as good when applicable. Had I known in hind sight the problems that occured with the blade replacement I would have just bought the blade for $4.95 and been done with it. Old school clashes with new school and I learned a valuable lesson. It actually cost me a total of $56.00 but at least it won't happen again. I hope other Prius owners will appreciate my bumblings at least.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I hate acronyms myself and try to avoid them, but I do use "OEM" sometimes, which means "original equipment manufacturer" or a factory (as opposed to aftermarket) part. So in this case, it would be a part branded as genuine Toyota rather than someone like Purolator.

The irony is that the "genuine" and aftermarket part could be produced side-by-side in the same factory!
    Thank you for clearing up OPM
  • whitey9whitey9 Member Posts: 138
    The coolant levels should be checked, and also the air filter should be replaced.
    Other than regular tire rotation and wheel alignment, there are few scheduled services required.
    Has the brake fluid ever been renewed?
  • bobcellobobcello Member Posts: 1
    I recently had both tail lights burn out at about the same time. It was at about the same time that my battery needed replacing. I had to have several visits by AAA to get the car going when the battery was getting weak. Possibly the burned out bulbs was related to the cable boosting or the battery replacement. I have posted on the Bentley Publisher Site how to replace the bulbs and check the fuses.
    YEAH, what HE said! In service department circles, that is called "packing". Upselling unwarranted goods/services to incease PROFITS!
    Just let them fix your car for the reason you came in and then get out of there.
    Were they tail lights, or brake lights? Brake lights are LEDs, tail lights are regular light bulbs.
    I suppose LEDS are more sensitive to polarity that regular bulbs, but then why would the brake lights be on? You mentioned cable boosting. Did someone ( AAA ) jump-start the car? Could the polarity of the jumper cables have been reversed? Is that the ONLY damage to the electrical system of the car?
    I am pretty sure there are details on replacing light bulbs in the Owner's Manual.
    I had one tail light go out on mine at ~ 80,000 miles. At the Parts counter a new one cost $.50 so I bought two. Big spender.

It took 30 seconds to replace the dead bulb.
  • caprius02caprius02 Member Posts: 2
    I live in the South Bay (CA) and have 98.5K on my 2002 Prius. The first 90K were pretty much worry free, needing only the standard service every 7500 miles and 2 sets of new tires (at 30K and 81K). However, at 90K, I had to take it to the dealer for the engine light, and they said it needed a new ECU and gas tank ($1600!). I questioned them on both, and even waited a couple of weeks, but finally gave in and had those replaced (though why the gas tank had to be replaced I have no idea!). I noticed some squeaky steering at the time, but had been told by my (non-dealer) mechanic that it was nothing to worry about, so didn't say anything. No one at Toyota said anything, so I just let it go.

Well, the squeaking got worse -- more like a groaning sound every time I moved the steering wheel even a little bit, and after trying WD-40, to no avail, and not trusting the dealer, I took it to a different shop where they said it needed a new rack & pinion. I've already ordered and paid for this ($1300), but what else can I expect to have to deal with at this point? The shop said the steering is just normal wear and tear, and I love the car, which otherwise, appears to be in perfect shape. Am I in for more trouble ahead? So far these costs have been higher than expected, but are still much less than a new car.

Also, how do I know whether to trust a mechanic? Any advice?
    While I too own a 2nd gen Prius, I also have concerns when the warrantee expired but the important thing is about finding a trustworthy dealer or independent mechanic. This can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Good luck in that dept. Good regular maintenance is a must. One important alturnitive is good "used" replacement parts that can be at a considerable savings thru ebay etc....I presently have 103K miles on an '04.
    p.s. I once went to a Major Brake & Muffler Shop for a brake problem on an old 93 Ford 150. He called and said I needed major repairs to the tune of $1,400.00 so I went down to the dealer and inspected his explanation and then told him to just replace the brake line that was initially requested. He did at a cost of $67.00 and the truck has been fine for 2 yrs. Buyer beware!!
    I am dismayed to hear you had to have your Prius' fuel tank replaced for unknown reasons. If someone asked me to pay $$$$ for anything, I would know for sure why. Also, the ECU was replaced. Which one? Was it the one NOT covered by the 8yr/80K mi warranty? Or since it was just past 80K, and you do not trust your dealer's service department weren't they willing to "participate"?
    As for the "groaning/squeaking" noise, there is a rubber boot and bushing where the steering shaft passes thru the firewall. Sometimes when even new, but esp when older, this needs to be lubricated to avoid a creaking/groaning sound that may even sound like the steering wheel itself is noisy.
    I hope you really did need the complete rack [non-permissible content removed]'y, and did get your money's worth.
    I have and '86, a '98, and an '07. I put a rack in the '86 Camry after it began leaking after 155K mi, and now my 157K mi Sienna is leaking. NOT creaking/groaning 'tho.
    Good luck finding a truthful, competent mechanic.
  • caprius02caprius02 Member Posts: 2
    The ECU was P/N 89661-47054, and I was told that if I didn't get it replaced, the car would likely stall at some time while I was driving it, which would be a road hazard. Since it was 10K over the 80K warranty, I was told it didn't qualify. Should I have questioned this? I'm terribly suspicious of dealers, particularly since I know nothing about cars (and am female, as I'm sure you can tell).

When I declined the gas tank as first, the message on my invoice read:
    "Declined gas tank and relay; engine light or stalling condition will come back." So, I asked that the technician please take a second look to see if the gas tank really needed replacing, in which case I would go ahead with it. Here's the message:
    "Inspection verifies gas tank malfunction; replaced gas tank"

I really wish I could have spoken directly to the technician, but I was relegated to the "advisor"; is this normal?

As for the creaking/groaning sound, I've been asking about lubrication for the last couple of oil changes but was just told that was not the issue... I'll question the shop again before going ahead with the complete rack and pinion replacement, but I think I may be stuck, as the non-dealer shop made me prepay for a special-order part.

Anyone know of a good mechanic or shop in the South Bay?
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    And people are giving me grief for thinking that a 125,000 mile Platimun warranty is a good consideration.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I bought the 100k mi Toyota extended service plan.
    That is in addition to the 8yr/100K mi warranty on "most" of the hybrid system.
    It was about $2K, but I was slightly wary of the repair costs, and the "guessing ability" of the service department if the hybrid system, or any other "covered" component needs repair. My dealership relies on the service writer to diagnose much of the malfunctions while the car is on the drive during write-up.
    I bought the service plan to ease my mind. But it was $2K after all.
    That can be found considerably cheaper. More like $1055. They now offer a 125K mile warranty.
  • xenoninjaxxenoninjax Member Posts: 5
    im very new here and im trying to find a prius right now. my question is, are independent mechanics capable of fixing prius? it's for my mom and she heard that only the dealers can repair malfunctions. her other concern's the battery replacement every 3 years, which i know isnt true and covered by the 10year warranty.
    I discussed the Prius with my trusted independent mechanic before my purchase because I am about 80 miles away from a Toyota Dealer. My mechanic assured me that he could handle any problems. Furthermore, there are very few maintenance problems with a Prius. In two years, I have had none. I buy tires at an independent provider. I buy routine maintenance parts at a parts store that regularly has the Prius parts in stock. I do my own routine maintenance. The Prius, by all reports that I have seen, is not going to need new batteries essentially over the lifetime of the vehicle. I always carry an air pump and a spare battery to jump start cars and power the air pump. I have also lobbied Toyota to open a dealership near me so that I can convince more people to buy a Prius.
    If "Mom" is afraid of the possibility at the prospective ownership of a Prius, then get her a Focus.
    Maybe she would feel more at ease with a "conventional" car.
    The fact is, most of the Prius is just like most other cars. It does NOT have a nuclear reactor, and one need not be a computer programmer to operate it.
    Unless she drives "a lot", she might be better suited to a non-Prius type of automobile.
    Buy the 8 yr 125,000 warranty and she'll never have to take it to the local mechanic. They'll tow the car to Toyota if it ever breaks down.
  • jpeters1970jpeters1970 Member Posts: 82
    I know this may sound strange, but one must treat a car like a human. If you go to the doctor and he says you need to have your spleen removed. You're more than likely going to get a second or third opinion. Same holds true for your car. Get a second or third opinion folks!! Ask friends for referrals about good mechanics. The internet has a wealth of information and you can find good mechanics online. I've learned from mistakes I made when I was very young. Do not EVER take anything at face value if you are unsure of what the mechanic is talking about. As an aside, I even questioned a Vet about an invasive procedure for my dog (they wanted to do a liver biopsy). I researched it and I declined. Long story short, my Pomeranian did NOT need the $1,200 liver biopsy. Trust NO ONE, question EVERYTHING. THAT is the world we live in today.
  • shycoshyco Member Posts: 1
    changed oil in car but cant get maintenace light off 2007 prius
    First...Did you follow the instructions in the Owners Manual? If you did (as instructed) and its still on then it's time to see the service tech @ Toyota.
    Like you said. I cannot get mine to extinguish either. ( I CAN read. )

A question: I was fooling around after vacuuming the floorboards and came across a "reader" beneath the driver's seat. I assume it is the DVD drive for the Nav system. I pushed the button and nothing happened, ie. nothing ejected, no DVD.

Is that the way it is supposed to be? Or has someone swiped my Nav DVD?
  • cslasorcslasor Member Posts: 15
    I was getting my oil changed on my 2000 Accord at Firestone yesterday and since I'm considering getting a Prius in the next month or two I asked the mechanic if they could change the oil on those. I am a 52 year old woman who does NOT change her own oil so I just wanted to make sure it could be done at one of the quickie oil change places.

Anyway, he said yes they could do it, but that it requires synthetic oil and it costs $50 to do it. As opposed to the $20 they charged for my Accord.

I'm guessing this guy was either misinformed or outright lying, but I'd like to confirm that. So does the Prius require anything different regarding oil changes than other cars?

Of course, the same guy also told me Mazdas all have rotary engines and the engines are half plastic. That's not true either, is it?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience!
    That's CWAP! My '07 requires 5w-30 engine oil. I DO use Mobil-1, and perform the change ( <5qts ) every 5K mi. You aren't required to use synthetic oil, but you can.
    Too many people know too little about the car.
    I once had a salesman tell me the brakes would not last on the Prius since Toyota used a "regenerative" braking system on the car. Crazy!!!

Don't you worry ma'am, the guys at Firestone will be plenty able to drain the oil, overtighten the oil pan drain plug, and even overfill the engine oil level just like every other kind of car they work on.

P.S. MANY intake manifolds on today's cars are made of plastic. It is too expensive, and too difficult to make the parts out of aluminum. Plastic works just fine.
    Your (soon to be) EX mechanic is $$$$$$ motivated with a sprinkling of B.S. or perhaps lacking in honesty. I own a 6 yr old '04 Prius w/ 108K and have never gone over to "Synthetics". Oil still tried & true. Of course I change it myself @ a cost of $13 bucks EVERY 3-4 K miles. Last note.....Buyer Beware!! Why women are always looked upon as helpless targets is, in itself, a dilemma that some neanderthal men choose to perpatrate is besides me.

ps...There was a lengthy study that found "Synthetics" were no better than oil over a 100K comparison. Cost difference was in excess of $300.00 per same 100K miles. Next time you see a car going down the road farting blue smoke like a mosquito fogger chances are that person neglected oil changes.
    Mom and I had a good laugh over your oil change dilemma. I am 50 and she is 92. Neither of us had heard any mechanic as stupid as yours. Although I am going to be 52 soon, I intent to be changing my own oil long after I reach that golden age. I suggest that you also learn how to drop the old, dirty oil out of that tiny Prius engine. It is quite similar to opening the drain on your sink after doing the dishes, which you should also learn to do rather than using, as I suspect, a dishwashing machine that wastes energy and money.

Buy 3 quarts of synthetic oil at any automobile parts store or most department stores or farm supply shops. Look in a parts book or ask a salesperson for a good quality oil filter to fit a Toyota Prius. If you do not have one, buy a socket wrench and filter wrench, a drive-up car ramp, and an oil drain pan. Buy a roll of paper toweling, too.

Park beside your county oil recycling tank about every 6 months or 7,000 miles of driving. Set the drive-up ramps in front of your forward set of tires. Drive up the ramp. Set the drain bucket beneath the large bolt on the bottom of your engine. Use a socket wrench to turn the bolt counter-clockwise. Unwind it by hand until the bolt drops and oil runs into your oil bucket. Then, take your filter wrench and set it around the filter under your engine. Turn counter-clockwise until it drops and empty it into the oil drain bucket. Now, empty the oil bucket into the oil recycling tank.

Replace the bolt, which is called a drain plug, into the hole on the bottom of your engine and tighten clock-wise. Wipe a little fresh oil on the rubber ring on the new oil filter and tighten it onto the filter threads in a clock-wise direction. Then, open the oil fill cap on top of your engine. Pour 3 quarts of fresh oil into your engine. Pack-up your tools. Back off your ramps. Drive home and wait approximately 6 months or 7,000 miles to do it again. You are now a Prius owner.
    Have fun! :)