Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Prius Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    flipperzdadflipperzdad Member Posts: 3
    to Suzie2:
    We use a Yakima trunk-style bike rack (about four years or more old, no longer sold by Yakima) that we formerly used on a minivan. The top and bottom straps work fine but the hatch is closely fitted on the sides and bulky at the edges, so it's hard to fit the clips for the side-stability straps and gives you the queasy feeling that you're forcing the issue. A solution we are now testing with some success: I took an old piece of load-strap about two feet longer than the width of the rear hatch. I tied a loop in either end so that the loop sticks out when the strap is stretched across the opening and then the hatch is closed on it. We put the clips of the side stability straps into the loops and tighten them. We just keep the strap with loops in the back and use it when the bike rack goes on. If this turns out to be a lousy idea I will claim I never thought it would work in the first place...
    flipperzdad
  • Options
    suzie2suzie2 Member Posts: 2
    Thankyou flipperzdad,
    That is a creative solution, perhaps beyond my own sense of bravery and adventure!
    Suzie2
  • Options
    annrannr Member Posts: 1
    How badly does it mess up the mileage?
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I believe one owner reported his mileage dropped from 48 MPG to 40 MPG with two bikes on top.
  • Options
    jebsterjebster Member Posts: 6
    Sorry for the potentially repeated question (similar to XM Q above), but have not been able to find any info on attaching an aux sound source, be it XM or ipod. Anyone have any suggestions for doing so (FM transmitters are not very good). '05 Prius with standard stereo. TIA!!!
  • Options
    joshuarrjoshuarr Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, blane. I'll have to visit the dealer again for another sit-in to consider whether that extra 1/2 inch would really make the difference. It might, especially if I can also remount the mirror higher up on the glass.
  • Options
    jacqueusijacqueusi Member Posts: 55
    I was patting myself on the back last week after having won an eBay auction for a hitch mount Hollywood bike rack last week for $144.

To my amazement, I noticed at lunch today that Target has what appears to be the exact same rack under the Coleman name for $99 + change. YEESH! Anyhow, I know there are some Prius owning bike enthusiasts here and I wanted to share my information with you all.

Here's a link to the Hollywood Sport Rider rack.

http://www.hollywoodracks.com/2&3.htm#sportrider
  • Options
    redsonataredsonata Member Posts: 4
    Finally, after a 9 1/2 month wait, my 2005 Prius (silver, group 4) arrived. My name should be changed to SilverPRIUS now, eh? I wanted to accessorize the car and despite earlier posts about the UK Toyota supplied matt black body side moldings, I managed to find some on the web from Ohio, they were available in body color - and my pal, a body man, installed them for me in less than an hour. I also got mud flaps from the same place (these appear to be true Toyota parts) but decided to only put on the front mud flaps. I also got a steering wheel cover in two tone leather (charcoal and medium gray) from Wheelskins, who were more than fantastic - they got me my cover in less than 48 hours, and I live in Michigan (they are in California). I, being a very talent-challenged Tailor, took two hours to put this on but at least it looks good. I really took my time. I obtained a Toyota accessory trunk net and installed that myself. Since I do live in Michigan, I also got the best possible (I hope) winter floor mats to "replace" the factory carpeted floor mats in the inclement winter weather (9 months of winter, 3 months of bad sledding, as we say up here). Now if I can only get some Nokian Hakkapalita tires to assist the vehicle stability control in the winter, I'll be happy - then my plan is to buy some aftermarket wheels (resembling the euro-spec Prius 7-spoke alloys, if possible) and move the Goodyears to them for summer use (using the factory wheels for the winter tires). One final thing I have yet to get - I'd like to get the UK spec front license (number) plate "base" and have a "PRIUS" plate made up (see the UK website download photos at www.toyota.co.uk for an idea of what that'd look like). Whoops now I've done it - I may not have the only Prius in the US with that - let the cat out of the bag.
  • Options
    redsonataredsonata Member Posts: 4
    Whoops almost forgot the final accessory that I felt I could not do without (since we do after all get a few months of sun here in Michigan). Actually, it has been in the 90's quite a lot lately, makes a change. Got a sunshade specifically made for the Prius. It's great. Since, in the hot weather, it takes so much energy to cool down the inside of the car, this sunshade can only help. Doubt if I'll ever save the $40 it cost me but it will also help keep the interior of the car from sun damage (I''m being optimistic here, since - I do live in northern Michigan). So far I'm averaging 48 miles per gallon overall, but this is with a brand new car (1400 miles in 3 weeks) and therefore it is not broken in. Also I am still "learning" to drive in the most efficient manner. I'm even learning to choose my commute route to optimize my mileage. This Prius is the coolest car I've ever owned, and I've had nearly 25 cars in my lifetime. It was worth the wait.
  • Options
    geemergeemer Member Posts: 4
    How can I disable the back-up signal? It is not possible to get at the chip. Where in the cabin can the signal be turned off and how?
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    When you run over the little kid while backing up, you'll feel the bump and stop your vehicle. The backup signal will then be silent.
  • Options
    shay2shay2 Member Posts: 9
    My 2005 seats have a tag that says there are side air bags. However, all I see is cloth covering the whole side of the seat. No opening for an air bag. Does it come out of the seat? Can't I just cover it with a regular seat cover?
  • Options
    tucker9tucker9 Member Posts: 2
    I would like my SIRIUS radio installed in my 05 PRIUS. Any tips?
  • Options
    I am more likely to run over a something when irritated and distracted by the annoying signal. Your sarcasm is uncalled for.
  • Options
    priusguypriusguy Member Posts: 12
    I wouldn't mind the backup tone either IF you could hear it outside the car. I already know I'm going backward (duh!). I'll probably disable mine since no-one outside the car can hear it.
  • Options
    priusguypriusguy Member Posts: 12
    I'm looking into getting the 60 bb 2" receiver hitch rack for carrying bikes. Any experience out there with this? What kind of hit to avg mpg, both when not carrying anything and when carrying bikes? Any handling issues? I know a girl who put a Yakima on her Prius roof and when carrying bikes her mpg went down to mid 30's. Thanks.
  • Options
    Thanks, but did not work. Tried several times. No icon. Suggestions?
    williamgoldsmith@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Tried again and it worked. Many thanks. I was doing step 6 wrong, not pushing the Park button to get the gear to P, just moving the gear lever. It is such a relief to have that damned nagging squeal off. Bless you.
  • Options
    poobaapoobaa Member Posts: 1
    We've had our Prius for a couple of weeks now, but the dealer still hasn't been able to get the HomeLink on the auto-dimming mirror they added to work. Has any one else had this option added by their dealer? If so, does yours work? Everything else about the car is great.
  • Options
    vfox1vfox1 Member Posts: 3
    We have the auto-dimming mirror and it works beautifully. The car came with it installed, and we've never had any problems with it. When a car with lights on approaches us from the rear, the view from the mirror has a bluish tint to it. You should see the same bluish tint when you look in the rearview mirror from your darkened garage and it is brighter outside. Good luck!

vfox1
  • Options
    vfox1vfox1 Member Posts: 3
    The seatbelt in '05 Prius tends to fold over and jams the plastic coated slider. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to stop the problem?

vfox1
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    If it is a gentex or connoly mirror, there is a light detection port in the front of the mirror. Cover this with your finger and the mirror will get dark. I installed a Gentex on my 2003 CR-V (with a compass and temp display integrated). On the Gentex the port is on the front left side.
  • Options
    fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Yes. Often enough to be annoying too. It does not seem to happen when I hold the seatbelt buckle as it retracts.
  • Options
    wayneswhirldwayneswhirld Member Posts: 7
    I live in northern Vermont and am considering the possibility of mud guards for my 2005 Prius (purchased in June; extremely satisfied). I realize this could have a slightly detrimental MPG effect but there's lots of messy winter road conditions here.

Can you give me the web location for the mud guards?

Thanks.
  • Options
    aglpriusaglprius Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a Sirius Prius kit from jon@siriusprius.com and installed it myself. It was a breeze (even for a non-tech head) and Jon was great. Love the Prius; it's even better with the Sirius.
  • Options
    jayhjjayhj Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2" hitch from Coastal Electronics for my 2005 Prius. It took me only about 40 minutes to install it myself due to the great directions provided (even though I'm mechanically inept!). I've got a rack from 1upUSA connected to it all the time. The rack folds up and sits nicely behind the vehicle in this position. While empty it doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever on gas mileage over the month I've had it. It also fits well enough that I can comfortably fit the car in the garage with it attached, and can easily access stuff in the hatch too. I'm very satisfied. I've only carried bikes a handfull of times over short distances so I'm not sure about gas mileage when loaded. The bikes don't stick out too far though so I'd guess only a few mpg. No handling issues whether loaded or not. Good luck!
  • Options
    jayhjjayhj Member Posts: 3
    Try http://www.coastaletech.com/04prius.htm
    They currently have an expensive option ($299) that allows you to add both audio and video inputs. I haven't tried it, but may work for you. According to the web site they also are working on a cheaper, audio only connection. I've ordered the Prius hitch from them and am very happy with it.
  • Options
    sheilahoffsheilahoff Member Posts: 5
    I'm piggy-backing on this thread because the subject line is what I would've typed. However, my husband is only 5'10" and his problem isn't the mirrors it's the windshield. He feels like his visablity is impaired and he has to scrunched down to see traffic lights when test-driving. We SOOO want to buy a Prius. But this could be a deal breaker. One of the salesmen said it's the biggest complaint he hears and he thought MAYBE the '06 model would be height adjustable. So far I haven't been able to confirm that. He also suggested an aftermarket seat that could be height adjustable. But I fear that would LOOK awful AND I'm not sure if the physical geometry of the Prius will allow ANY seat to give better visablity (ie: can a seat be installed low enough?). I'm eager to hear others experience and ideas about this.

Thanks,
    Sheila in Seattle
  • Options
    I know the feeling. I rented one of those Chrysler 300s on my last business trip and I had to lean down to see any traffic light.

Doesn't the Prius seat recline? Surely you tried that?

Also, have you considered the Ford Escape Hybrid (or the Highlander Hybrid)?

My wife has a 2002 Civic, which is the same design as the Honda Civic Hybrid, and I have no problems seeing out of that vehicle. You might consider that one as well.
  • Options
    sheilahoffsheilahoff Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Steve. My husband doesn't like driving in a reclined position. That seems to be the planned solution for the lack of visablity. And we only want a Prius. We own a Honda Civic now but their hybrid isn't as good as the Prius IMHO. And I wouldn't own a Ford. I think we'll spend more time test driving and hopefully he'll get used to the new view.
  • Options
    "We own a Honda Civic now but their hybrid isn't as good as the Prius IMHO. And I wouldn't own a Ford. I think we'll spend more time test driving and hopefully he'll get used to the new view"

There are various opinions, but my own opinion is that the Toyota is the more advanced technology. However, it does work pretty well.

I concur on owning the Ford Escape Hybrid, especially until the kinks are fully worked out. But Fords can be good cars; I owned one for 12 years, which is pretty good for a 1978 model car. It finally rusted out (I had been living in Germany for several years).

Good luck on your purchase plans.
  • Options
    tessar1tessar1 Member Posts: 4
    Take a look at Neo iON. Here is a review: http://laptopmag.com/Review/Neo-iON.htm

It only got 3 out of 5 stars, but it may do what you want.

Here's a video of the installation process:

http://www.cartv.com/content/research/channels/index.cfm/channel/cartv_video/action/showvi- deo/vid/ct_0006/vscat/NULL/vcat/Car_Tip/pagenum/1
  • Options
    mcslainmcslain Member Posts: 2
    i'm 6'3 and i have absolutely no problems driving the prius. your husband needs to get over his tall guy issues, especially since he isn't tall.
  • Options
    warren1944warren1944 Member Posts: 1
    SHEILA,
    WE HAVE HAD AN "05" PRIUS FOR 4 MONTHS, 8000 MILES. I AM 5' 7" AND HAVE NOT NOTICED ANY PROBLEM WITH VISIBILITY. I DO ALOT OF CITY DRIVING.
    P.S.WE LOVE THE CAR.
  • Options
    tessar1tessar1 Member Posts: 4
    I'm trying to decide between ordering Package 4 with basic stereo and Package 6 with upgraded stereo. The difference in price of around $3000 is partly due to the navigation system in Pkg 6, but I don't really need one.

Can anyone give an objective opinion of the differences in sound quality between the two?

Has anyone completely replaced the basic stereo with an after-market system? What were the cost and outcome?
  • Options
    sammycccsammyccc Member Posts: 13
    just went to Costco and bought the Kraco rubber mat which cost $20, fit perfectly except the very minor interference at the driver left foot rest area, but perform exactly like the $80 weathertech mat(previous weathertech mat owner), highly recommended for that price!!
  • Options
    farfallafarfalla Member Posts: 2
    Love my 2005 Prius--just bought 2nd hand w/2600 miles on it. I live in the Palm Springs, CA, area so heat/sun are issues here. Noticed that the windshield does very little 'shading' of the driver, therefore it gets hot--not to mention I'm sensitive to the sun and usually seek shade. Is there any type of shading one can do while driving that helps this issue?? Perhaps dark tinting the top part of the windshield a few inches down??? If anyone has had experience with this, please let me know. This is a helpful site and I appreciate your wisdom!!!

Also, I've read through this site--is the 'bra' something that highway drivers in CA should have as I noticed a lot of people get them (prevents bug/rocks from pitting front end?) also mud guards.......do they really make that much of a difference??

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    sheilahoff,

Perhaps your husband should not allow the vehicle to creep so far forward at intersections. That way the traffic lights will be visible at a shallower angle.

I'm 5' 7" and had no such difficulty. I can't imagine that 3" more would make that much difference.

Years ago there was an aftermarket prism or mirror device that could be mounted inside the windshield that permitted the kind of periscope viewing that you might be in need of. I wasn't able to find a modern version with a brief Google search.
  • Options
    divetravdivetrav Member Posts: 2
    I ordered a hitch from Coastal Electronic Technologies at the beginning of October. I haven't heard from them and they don't reply to email or phone messages. Anyone know what's happened to them? Or better still, where else can I buy a hitch to attach a bike rack?
  • Options
    rianaelrianael Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for posting this. I was considering ordering a hitch from coastal Electronic Technologies and it is good to know that they are not responsive in mailing the product or in customer service.

If you decide to look elsewhere for a hitch, try the website below - that is where I am now going to purchase one. I called their phone number and Tony, the guy who answered was extremely knowledgeable and took the time to explain certain basics about towing before I even purchased anything.

http://www.hitch-web.com/vhitch.asp?CLID=1&DRID=5&MD=Prius&C=Passenger+Car+or+Station+Wago- n&MK=Toyota&Y=2005&MDID=1242&YID=87&CID=3&MKID=58&OID=8&SMID=1086&BBID=125&BPID=6&VID=2936- 1#CURT%20MFG
  • Options
    Comment about Coastal: My experience is they usually don't answer the phone and rarely respond to an e-mail. If they have the product you order it arrives in a reasonable time, but some of the products they say they have are not being shipped. The two times I did get through, once by phone and once by e-mail, I received non-responsive replies. My recommendation is if another place sells what you want, skip Coastal.

What I did receive from them seems to be good quality, but I have been waiting 10 weeks for another item their website says they have and have been unable to get a response from them about when the product will ship or even if my order is still in their system.
  • Options
    divetravdivetrav Member Posts: 2
    In all fairness, I must report what has happened with my order of a hitch from Coastal Electronics. I came home yesterday to find a box on my doorstep that had been shipped BEFORE I posted my initial queary about never hearing from them. The day after the posting was the first time I heard a message on my answering machine.
    I had a lovely conversation with Kelly yesterday, who told me she had called and emailed.
    Who knows what happens in cyberspace?
    Unfortunately, I don't know how well it works, since my car was rear-ended 18 days after I brought it home and is in the shop. This is the best one/least expensive one I saw on the net.
    Any advice on a good bike rack, for 4 bikes?
  • Options
    vino2vino2 Member Posts: 1
    Just ordered a 2006 Prius, and love my Sirius radio. I wonder if you could share what you decided to do.
  • Options
    mhabermanmhaberman Member Posts: 1
    Hi - read one post asking how to keep dash looking good ... any ideas yet?
  • Options
    mike60mpgmike60mpg Member Posts: 1
    I was going to "detail" our 2005 Prius with typical protectant. It looked worse, alarmingly worse. So I immediatly drove over to the dealer to see if there was
    a special Toyota product for the dash material. They did
    not have anything like that, but were quick to suggest using
    a nice cotton cloth, like you would wax a car with, and soak
    it in a mild dish soap and water solution. Wring it out as
    much as you can and go over the interior to pick up any dust.
    The interior looks ok now. It took about a week for the effects of the protectant to completely disappear. I have
    not touched the interior since. I can only hope that this
    material in the Prius interior is as durable as other car
    interiors
  • Options
    danjammdanjamm Member Posts: 5
    I had U-Haul put a 1 1/4" drop hitch. They make one for the Prius. Racks this size are not stocked at most bike or sporting goods but can be ordered in any style.
  • Options
    thelmathelma Member Posts: 1
    Trying to find a bug deflector for my 2005 Prius. Unable to locate in accessories and was not interested in bra. Saw one on a Prius in a smoke plastic. Perhaps someone has located this accessory.
  • Options
    The kit finally came (ordered way back in August). Five minutes to install. It was worth the wait. The nav unit is now programmable while driving, like my Acura. Much more versatile this way. A side benefit is that, when the nav system is in use, the car no longer has to be stopped to activate the EV mode (just be going less than 34 mph).
  • Options
    cbs4cbs4 Member Posts: 4
    I'm 6'5", and the 2006 Prius is not the car for me. But I bought the car anyway, as a suprise gift to my wonderful wife. She loves it. She's already given it a name.

I understood that Toyota may have lowered the seat in the 2006 from the 2005, but even with the seat all the way back, my knee still gets stabbed by the gear shift knob on the dash board every time I have to drop in to drive.

So, to the lady out there whose husband who has his doubts, you'll just have to sit in the car personally and see if it fits your bone structure. And to the 6'3" "big man" out there who suggessted to her husband to get over his "tall guy issues"... please be reminded that not all height is distributed equally. Some have tall torsos, some have tall legs. Either propensity makes a material difference when it comes to fitting in cars.

The only cars I can actually fit comfortably are either certain german saloons that cost over $50K, or certain american trucks that get less than 12mpg. It is unfortunately not a tall guy issue... it is an issue of cars being optimized for the average.

But fortunately, the Prius fits my wife to a T. She didn't even read the manual. She just KNEW how to drive it, shift it, turn it off and on, etc. Kind of like it was made for her.

In addition to the factory carpet floormats, I also got the dealer to throw in the Genuine Toyota Accessory All Weather floor mats designed for the Prius. Oh my goodness, those are HIGH QUALITY heavy, thick, deep channeled mats that fit every curve and cutout of the interior floor to a tee. I would have easily bought them for their $104.00 cost had I known they were that good.

Luckily, neither the dealer nor I knew, so they were thrown in as part of the deal.

Having the floormat fit exactly right in the driver's footwell (and that uses the factory retention tabs built into the carpet) is a safety item, in my opinion. I wouldn't risk a mat sliding onto or under an accelerator or brake pedal for a measly $80.00 savings. Especially for my dearest.
  • Options
    bluesundaybluesunday Member Posts: 1
    I've tried to follow these directions and they are NOT WORKING.

Matter of fact, how does one

"shift the "gear" selector from P to R, then back to P?? "

P is NOT Part of the gear selector. So shifting from P to R doesn't even make any sense.

Secondly, I've never seen any reading for

b on" or "b off" should be displayed

I've never seen any "b on" or "b off" mode.

So if someone would please re-explain how to get rid of the reverse beeping noise, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

BG
This discussion has been closed.