Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2005+

Comments

• rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    The 2006 A4 packages have been simplified, just as the 2006 A6 has.

The heated seats are now part of the premium package. You only need to order cold weather if you want REAR heated seats as well. The 17 inch twin spoke alloys are part of the package as well.

This will make it easier on customers and dealers alike as it cuts down on too many individual options.
  • joxer1joxer1 Member Posts: 27
    Mark, do you also get to write off your lease? I understand that its nice to always have a new car and never have to pay extra expenses out of pocket but a lot of lease rates I've heard here seem pretty breathtaking as well when added up for a year or the term of the lease, especially with no tax kickback. OTOH, my BMW is 3 years out of the cover everything period and I've spent only a handful of dollars on things - tires, some brakes, the big maintenance once in that. Most repairs have been about as expensive or less so than other brands I've owned and less frequent than my friend's domestics (and sometimes less expensive as well). I guess I should really say maintenance as I haven't actually had a single genuine repair out of warrantee. I don't think these cars with just a little maintenance should cost too much until well past 100,000 miles. Are quattro drivetrains fragile or expensive to maintain - I know this can be a real killer on SUVs/4WD trucks.

I'm considering selling my BMW now privately and either buying or leasing (no tax writeoff), but my main leasing consideration would actually be so that I could take my time to evaluate the Audi as a brand and a car before deciding whether to keep it - BMW service has been extremely good to me and the way they treated me during the launch of the new 3 (closed course drives to play with the new cars, intro events etc) would really sway me back to them, but only if I could get the AWD soon. If I just wanted another RWD sedan I'd be waiting another couple of years as the new car while nice isn't leaps and bounds ahead of my car by any means (especially the interior). I may still end up going the BMW route but I may have an angry friend on my hands if he isn't allowed to buy my car while I wait for the AWD Touring to show up.
  • macmurdomacmurdo Member Posts: 31
    Hi again... here's another strange one... I have used both 512 MB and recently 1 GB SD cards with MP3 files copied directly in directories. The car system recognizes the cards, the directories and in many cases the tracks within. In a few instances, and I can't find a pattern, it doesn't show all of the tracks within the directory, only one or two!! Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a solution?? (Yes I looked at the card contents on the computer and all the files are there... I've even played them on the computer)....
  • spursrulespursrule Member Posts: 9
    Mark, I called two Audi dealers here in the Washington D.C. area and neither has ever heard of a program in which a customer can pay to have their car CPO'd before the standard warranty expires and thus extend the warranty. In both cases I spoke with the finance manager and in each instance the finance person did not hesitate to say they had never heard of this. Is it possible this is a regional program, say in the midwest where you live?
  • pngpng Member Posts: 3
    Hi I just bought a S4 Avant and the manual claims it can read SD cards of up to 256 MB.

I would love to use the higher capacity, is the manual just out of date?

Do we both have the same audio system ?

Thanks for any help I don't have any other devices that use SD cards so I don't want to buy a 1 GB and find I cannot read it.

Thanks again for any input
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I have a 2003 Audi allroad. I have literally 3 payments remaining on the lease. Normally, I "bail" on the lease when one of several possible things happens:

1. I run close to running out of warranty

2. I am within 5 months of the end of the lease (historically I have gotten out of a lease when it was "only" 2/3 complete with little consequence -- that was THEN, this is NOW, this is not likely an option at this juncture, for anyone)

3. I run out of lease (this has hardly ever happened since 1977 when I acquired my first Audi 5000 on a lease as a company car)

I knew I would be bumping up against the limit of miles on the 2003 allroad and I had planned to order a new Audi (A6, perhaps an A4 or S4 or I had hoped even another "allroad" type Audi thinking one would certainly be available some 30+ months after I acquired my 2003 allroad in 2002.)

My saga, not to be repeated, of evaluation of many different cars (sparked in no small measure by edmunds posters and my frequent participation in the town halls) led me to the conclusion that for the first time since 1977 I might NOT get another Audi (ditto my wife).

Well, I piddled around and test drove cars (both for my own benefit and my wife's) for some 6 months and didn't make the decision to go for the new Infiniti M35X until April. Meanwhile my wife had ordered in mid-March a new BMW X3 (that had to be built to her specs in Germany/Austria and then shipped to the US). We assumed that it was virtually impossible to get the new X3 before the END of May, so we were kinda playing a "timing" game to limit our having perhaps as many as 4 lease payments to "only" one month. This was the price we were willing to pay to get the EXACT cars we wanted.

Anyhow, I was running up against my mileage limit and I talked with my Audi salesperson of some 20+ years. He told me that I might want to consider ordering a 2006 A6 or S4 and that it might be tight, but that I could keep my allroad past the lease end and even past the factory warranty, but that I had better consider opting to have the car Audi CPO'd (I believe he told me his cost of the CPO was about 10 or 12% less than the MSRP of the CPO cost and that he could sell it to me "at cost" which would help my piece of mind while I waited for my 2006 Audi to come in.)

I had previously told my Audi salesperson that under no circumstances would I consider keeping an Audi out of warranty. One little burp on an Audi (let alone an allroad with a complicated and expensive air suspension) is easily a high 3 figure number and the car has that air suspension, is a turbo and at 45,000 miles has the original brake system, entirely (I can just imagine needing a multi multi hundred dollar brake job at 50,001 miles, etc etc -- or a turbo malfunction or whatever.) The fact that my allroad has been virtually flawless is little comfort that is as I see the miles ticking off.

I did not re up for another Audi. The payoff, with 4 payments to go was a low 5 figure number higher than the dealer would allow "on trade." Yet, Audi has a lease program that essentially allows you to bail out in the last 90 days without penalty. This is the option, ultimately, that I have chosen.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Timmy and Lassie. . .no wait. Meanwhile, I am driving my wife's 2003 TT coupe which has 40,000 miles on it while she drives her new BMW, while I wait for my new Infiniti to be built and shipped to the US (it should be here in August.) My allroad sits clean and shiny and with up to date maintenance in my garage, only to be driven once per week "to blow the carbon out, prevent the tires from flatspotting and to keep the disc rotors shiny and pretty."

The offer, I assumed was legit. I did not take them up on it.

If this is a car with original factory warranty, my dealer claims it can be CPO'd if I am willing to foot the cost. The allroad, when I "turn it in" will probably be CPO'd and sold as a CPO'd car with some 45,000+ miles on it -- in this instance, I will not have paid to CPO it.

Unless they were fibbing to me, this is the way I came to report this to this forum.

One last little ditty -- there is also a program to PURCHASE from Audi of America (unless it has been done away with) an Audi warranty that goes 3 years or until the car reaches 75K just so long as the warranty is purchased within the term of the original warranty and the car has to be of a certain "age" (2002 cars qualify, I do not know if 2001 cars still do, i.e.)

Programs come and programs go -- this information that I have just dutifully shared with y'all was information I was given by my long term Audi dealer and sales rep earlier in 2005.

If I tell you anything else, I'll have to start makin' stuff up.

Good luck.
  • macmurdomacmurdo Member Posts: 31
    I don't know for certain that we have the same system... is yours a fold down flat panel used by the "Navigation Plus" MMI?? If so, I am certain that you can use larger SD cards... I currently have one 512 MB and one 1 GB in the slots and both seem to work, with the exception of the glitch I described in my posting.

I have devices that use Sony's memory stick, but nothing with SD so I had to buy the cards for this dedicated use, in addition to a (not expensive) card reader on USB connection. Previous postings have also suggested that the larger cards work fine. I staye with SanDisk products... I'm sure there are others.

Good Luck!!
  • pngpng Member Posts: 3
    Don't have the manual in front of me but yes the flat panel opens down enabling you to load either of the two sd slots or the dvd.

I will just pay a little extra at best buy for a 1 gig card if it doesn't work they will take it back for a full refund

thanks for the reply I will let you know if I run into your file display issue, so far on the 256 card I loaded no file issues at all.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "I see these are selling in my area close to MSRP ( so edmunds.com says) Is there any chance on knocking a grand off on an all cash deal?"

I was able to make a deal on a 05 Audi CVT w/premium pck for $1k over invoice. This is better than Edmunds' TMV and i was also able to get more on my trade-in than what Edmunds suggests.

I'm not sure if Edmund's has our interest at heart with their TMV prices. What was more helpful was monitoring what other people on this board were paying. You all have my gratitude for your help. I also went by KBB's more optimistic trade-in values when negotiating my trade-in.

My car is somewhere between Houston (port of entry) and Madison (local dealer). My salesman says it'll be between a week and a half and two weeks before it arrives. Needless to say my anticipation is growing.
  • stayfit50stayfit50 Member Posts: 5
    Audi says the A4 has Bi-xenon headlamps. What is the difference between Bi-xenon and regular xenon headlamps?
  • crushercrusher Member Posts: 16
    Bi-Xenon means both Hi and Low beams are Xenon Headlamps.
    I was watching TV last night and saw the crash test ratings for several cars, including the A4

The A4 was a "best pick" and was awarded the highest rating for both front end and side impact. The A4 is one of only two cars that recieved the highest award for both categories.
  • nwalbertnwalbert Member Posts: 49
    I saw the same thing. Wish they had reviewed at least one of Audi's competitors. Its good to know that the car is safe, but who is really comparing a Checy Malibu ($20k) to an A4($45k) ?? Prices are in Canadian dollars, and I am talking about a Quattro A4, not a CVT, or whatever the Front wheel drive model is called.

Scott
    You can pay 32 grand for a 2.0 CVT, and over 40K for the 3.2 A4... US dollars of course. But the airbags and structure integrity are the same. A nicley equipped 2.0 Quattro 6 speed can be had for around 35 grand, sans naviagtion.

The S60 Volvo they tested is in the same ball-park price wise as the A4. Ditto for the Sabb 9-3, which was the only other car that got a "double best pick".
  • javan69javan69 Member Posts: 17
    "You can pay 32 grand for a 2.0 CVT"
    ---------------
    I paid $34,709 for a 2.0 CVT with premium, nav, audio, heating, lighting.
  • nwalbertnwalbert Member Posts: 49
    My point is: Where are Audi's direct competitors, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, and MB?

Does anyone considering an A4 really care how the Chevy Malibu performed? No, but a lot of people would like to know how the 325, or IS300, or the G35 stacked up.

I dont think Audi sells very many non-Quattro A4's, the reasonable price to pay for a new A4 is $45,000 Canadian.
  • chef_jmrchef_jmr Member Posts: 41
    The tests by the IIHS are not reviews of cars in specific classes. They test the cars as they come to their facilities. They will be testing the other manufacturer's models in the future. This was not a "head-to-head" comparison as you seem to interpret it.
  • lyshenlyshen Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I've been reading lot of posts and had my own question since wife and I are planning to purchase soon.

I'm considering a 2005.5 A4 2.0T Quattro with manual transmission. Given the options I want, dealer quoted me $500 above invoice. But to have it trucked from another dealer will cost an extra $850. I asked him to drop that and he lowered the shipping fee down to $500. Now given this, I figure he could still lower it down to $400, so roughly half of it would be covered by the dealer.

My options are to either buy it at $500/$400 for delivery or go up to where the dealer has it and purchase it in person. My guess is that the dealers near where the car is actually located should be willing to match the $500 over invoice for the car. (Dealer just loses some profit by paying for more of the delivery fee.)

After talking it over this over with my wife, she said try and get the dealer to go with $400 for delivery and we can take it, since we could easily buy two one-way plane tickets and pick it up in person, visit a friend or two and drive it back and still be under the delivery fee. (Have a place to stay up there)

Any thoughts? (FYI we're not financing)
  • jk6741jk6741 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,
    I just bought a new 2005 A4 2.0T, 6-speed and am looking to make some performance improvements. I have had some difficulty finding parts compatible with the new 2005. I also have been struggling with the decision to install a chip or not. Does anyone have any thoughts?
  • mhgmhg Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if the new A4 has an audio input jack so that one can plug in their ipod or other MP3 player?
    I really don't why people are splitting hairs and driving themselves crazy over $300-400 on high-line car purchases.

$500 over invoice on an Audi is pretty fair. If the dealer is willing to split the cost of shipping with you, then go ahead and buy the car from your local dealer.

By the time you pay for plane tickets and gas, you're not saving much. Maybe a few hunderd dollars. Meanwhile, you'll probobly visit your "freinds" on the way back and spend a few bucks on dinner and odds and ends.

If it was a $1500 difference, then it may make sense to do it what your talking about. I think you should have a small amount of coutesy and repsect for your local dealer who has time invested invested in you. If they're the ones that took you out on test drives, spent their time helping you out, and were professional with you, you should go with them.

I wouldn't throw my local dealer under the bus for $200 on a $35,000 car purchase.
  • lyshenlyshen Member Posts: 2
    You do have a point there about the money being not much of a difference. I wasn't splitting hairs and driving myself crazy over this. (Thought about it for 5 min and compared options.) Just was thinking this is a good reason to go visit my friend since I was thinking about it already. I seriously would not have minded going up north to the Bay area to pick the car up since I'd be getting a free trip in at the least (small trip but I have the time for it). I haven't seen my friend in 2 years since he's been in Taiwan.

But also the dealer did not take me out on test drives, he's about an hour away so I've only been dealing with him over the phone. Actual test drive I went to the local dealer but the sales guy wasn't all that helpful and not willing to negotiate to much.

Regardless, I ended up purchasing it from the current dealer I was working with over the phone because he did end up lowering the price a little more. Personally I did prefer to buy from the phone dealer because he was trying to be really helpful. $100-200 isn't a big deal as you say, I agree but its still money and if you one can get a free trip in to visit friends as well, why not? Looking forward to the car now. :)

This kind of reminds me of the test pilot program that never seemed to pan out. Order a Audi and fly to Europe and pick it up in person, I believe they said you technically get a free plane ticket. If you're going to pay the same in the end, why not get something you feel happier with? (Assuming of course you aren't going crazy over it. ;) )
    I have two thoughts: First, do you think the 2.0T with a 6speed needs a boost?

Too much is never enough, I know.

Second, if you must chip, you should be aware that the only way to go is with a DPP (direct port programming) option. Several vendors offer such performance options that retain the original programming and do not require any hardware swaps.

The party line of the chip guys is that ONLY if something that can be tied to a chip change goes wrong will the warranty be voided. This should be correct -- and no I am not a lawyer. However, you may want to find a chip friendly dealer so that the dealer will be on your side no matter what way you go. Even then if the turbo impeller whizzes off into the wild blue yonder and someone at Audi Headquarters can demonstrate that the only two times this ever happened was on engines with the engine mapping program changed, well, gulp -- good luck.

I chipped a 2000 TT 1.8T engine -- actually at that time no DPP option was offered and the DEALER did the chipping for me. There was a chip programming issue that was corrected, but remember, I had a friendly dealer at my side and no Audi involvement was required. Nothing ever broke as a consequence either.

APR is one source a DPP, Revo is too, I think. I am not certain if ABT offers DPP but their US partner is Joe Hoppen Motorsports. All three of these guys are on the web and all have good reputations.

My advice is to keep the dealer on your side -- if you hide this and are caught, you will probably run the risk of having at least some of your warranty and Audi advantage eroded.

There are at least two dealers here in Ohio that I am told are chip friendly -- don't know where you are but this stuff is not a STATE SECRET. Do a little bit of homework.
  • hbx55hbx55 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm looking at an A4, quattro, manual with cold, premium, and some other stuff.

MSRP is $34,270,
    Edmunds.com invoice is $31,800

My local dealer is offering it for $32,600. Is that a reasonable deal - from shopping around a bit, I thought it was a pretty good one but wanted to get some feedback. This will be my first new car and my first Audi.

Also, this is a 2005.5 - what's the difference between these and the 2006's?
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    jk6741,

Personally I'd keep the car stock until after the first 1000 - 1500 miles. This will give you a chance break the critter in and shake out any gremlins. If, after the initiial break in, things are running smooth, then go for it. I had a '99 1.8t chipped and didn't pop any pistons. My current '02 isn't :cry:

Byron
  • ncflyerncflyer Member Posts: 28
    Anyone know how well this car is selling? I'm curious how much leverage I will have when I negotiate or if there might be any new incentives on the way. . . am surprised that my local dealer (in Cleveland) has quite a bit of A4 inventory on their lot (as opposed to BMW, which is baren of 3's), that they are already offering 1.9% financing, and that their doesn't seem to be a whole lot of buzz out there, even though the A4 is one awesome looking car. So BMW has a brand new vehicle, Lexus is about to introduce one, as is VW, and GM is literally giving away Saab's. It's crowded.
    2005 was a weird model year for Audi with the A4. You have (2) cars with different styling that both say 2005 on the window sticker. And with 4 different engine choices with the 1.8. 2.0, 3.0, & 3.2......I think it all leads to a bit of confusion.

If Audi has too many of the 2005.5 models, they'll no doubt put some lease special or money behind the cars to clear them off for the 06's.
  • whitty_1whitty_1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the chance to buy a 05 Audi 1.8T for $ 41,000 Canadian and the dealer offerd to chip it for me. My question is, Is the 1.8T chipped enough for a high end car like this or should I wait and buy a 06 that’s $ 7000 more is the new motor worth it
    I'm surprised an Audi dealer offered to chip a brand new car for you. Won't that void your factory warranty?
    Technically (or legally) you are correct but apparently some dealers will "work with you" to resolve issues that presumably could be chip related. But the dealers can determine if the engine has been abused and one should expect to pay to play. That's why I would stay stock until after the break in period... and any bugs have hopefully been shaken out.
    The 2.0 is so superior in many ways. Why get a 1.8?
    I agree. But the 1.8T is a good engine and with the help of a chip and the incentive of thousands of dollars off, the A4 1.8T will find a good home.

Personally, I can't say what the dollar amount would be that would make me go to the 1.8T, but I would think it would be a four figure number.
  • jonnyz1245jonnyz1245 Member Posts: 13
    some weeks ago you helped me out with some answers regarding buying a new A4 Avant and CPO etc.

I am now considering an 05 Allroad and thought I had seen in another forum somewhere you had made some reference to being able to get these cars at a substantial discount. my local dealers here in Oregon have a good stock ( 25+) o5's yet they seem firm in asking MSRP on these...

any tips or hints?

also seeing this is based on the old A6 am I giving up a lot of technological improvements by not getting a new A4 ( drivetrain etc)

Will Audi make parts available for the allroad for many years to come and not just the 4 year warranty period? I plan on having whatever car I buy for at least 6 years so this is important to me!

thanks
    If you intend on keeping your car at least for 6 years, you might be better off with the new A4. That's because I would strongly recommend an extended warranty which should be less costly for the A4.

The '05 A6 allroad is a great ride but it also happens to be a very complex machine. For example, if you are looking at the twin turbo 2.7 liter engine, just price out a turbo replacement. They have to be replaced in pairs and we are talking big bucks. The new A4, by virtue of not being as complex, should be less costly to maintain beyond warranty. But that's assuming that maintenance costs are an issue for you. Anyhow '02 A4 Avant has been excellent, with nary a rattle or squeak but I will replace it later this year prior to the end of the prepaid service & warranty.

As for pricing on the allroad, why not put in a request via Edmunds? I tried this on a 330i BMW and got a great offer... didn't follow through 'cause the trade in offer was considerably less than the local Audi dealer offer (which means another a4 for me!).

BTW, the new A4 does drive beautifully. And one final consideration might be where fuel costs are possibly headed in the near future. It ain't gonna be down :P
    The allroad should not command MSRP. It is not a big seller for Audi and in some respects, I must assume the dealers would like to be done with the allroad.

In terms of viability, I would suggest it would be viable for 6 years from date of in service and/or 100,000 miles. The cost of the Audi extended warranty (or CPO-ing) will be $1,000 to $1,200 (and you can delay the purchase).

The 2.7T engine as noted is a turbo. The engine is great, however, in terms of torque and unless you get the automatic, you will never miss the V8. If you are going to spring for the V8, you will not have the turbo concerns. But the point is that you will be able to be held harmless financially from the BIG costs for 100K miles.

I think the allroad's suspension is an area where I would want maximum warranty security.

I constantly would worry about the expense if this went on the fritz.

My allroad has been darn near flawless and at 46,000 miles certainly feels like its not even half way used up.

But I could walk out right now and the air bladders could spring a leak -- lord help me if I didn't have a warranty.

The allroad is tossable, is quiet and comfortable, can be had with all the nice creature comforts except full screen navi -- but now that I have had both, well it is the 80 20 rule -- Audi's nav - lite is just as competent as my wife's navi in her 2005 BMW. She has the cool looking moving map, but really what is the key in the turn by turn prompting and the arrows -- much as I like the moving map feature, that is the least of the navigation's utility.

Yep the new A4 is a sweet machine -- I would have no issue with that whatsoever.

Yet the allroad is a crossover -- capable of going FAST and able to go on a lot of "off the beaten path" roads and near roads. The allroad is bigger, it rides better. The allroad is heavier and more poorly balanced than the new A4, it will understeer more and probably needs the plus sized wheels and tires and H sport anti sway bars.

The allroad or the A4 CAN (either one) be a fine way to cross huge tracts of land -- the allroad might be more comfortable, more of a "road master" in all that image's positive connotations.

The allroad is thirstier than the A4. But if you got antoher thousand or so off a good deal, it would take a while to make that difference up with the A4's somewhat more frugal approach to fuel.

If you have no need or concern for a back seat -- the choice got easier, the A4 has a smallish back seat, the allroad has a comfortable coach class and two people can ride for hours and remain friends in the back of the allroad.

No matter what you do, you will want the protection of the extended Audi brand warranty.

These cars cost a young fortune to repair out of warranty -- both of them.

If you must have a car with an automatic, the A4 has a 6 speed, with the allroad, I would urge you to consider the V8 if you MUST go shiftless. Some of the concerns with the 2.7T are mitigated too with the V8. For one, the V8 is normally aspirated and even though I contend the turbo is "heavy duty" well that just isn't the same as invulnerable. The V8 is to this day the sweetest sounding engine of any Audi (note, I have not heard the W12).

The allroad with a V8 and all the toys and a full paint option would be my #1 choice of the two. But, and I underscore this, with a discount due to its "special circumstances.

Decisions decisions. . . :confuse:
  • aec11aec11 Member Posts: 13
    Sorry to bother you, guys and gals, but I posted a similar message on the S4 board almost a week ago, with no response - that board just doesn't see the traffic that the A4 board does. In any event, here's my question:

I took delivery of a 2005.5 S4 on April 1, and have already had a serious problem with the tire pressure monitoring system. It had already acted up the first week I had the car, and then a few weeks later it went out completely. It's been in the shop for over two weeks now, and in theory it's supposed to be fixed today. I understand that Audi has had lots of problems with this system over the last two years or so on all of its models that have that system as an option. Anyone have any information on this?
  • jonnyz1245jonnyz1245 Member Posts: 13
    now I am having a hard time making up my mind!

I found an 05 allroad 6 speed 2.7T loaded! it even has the Nav+ full screen...same as in the new A4. I didn't know this was possible but 2 different dealers said Audi has added it to the 05 allroad.

Anyways the dealer on the phone offered me 2K off a list of 48 and change. If I could get 3K off I just may do it.

A 6 speed A6 wagon with all the goodies is making my head spin-)

The only thing I am worried about is the gas mileage and the new technology offered by the new A4. I have read quite a bit about all the goodies the A4 got this year such as the S4 suspension and other bits...

So, Mark. What kind of REAL world #'s does your allroad put up in the fuel economy test?

And, what do you mean when you say the allroad is going to ride better? wouldn't the A4 have the better ride quality as the allroad is 6 year old platform that has bitten the dust to make way for the all new A6 which every auto rag out there says is far superior to the old A6...

damn, that allroad is one sexy looking car though and with all the skiing, camping etc I do the allroad is shaping up to be the better car...only by a small margin over the A4 Avant.

The A4, with it's better gas mileage and lower entry price( 5 K lower) might just take the cake...
    I am not a car journalist. I am giving you my opinion and my experience.

The allroad will ride better than a new A4. But I am speaking of many subtle points. Test it yourself, please -- back to back and over the same route.

The 2.7T engine is thirsty -- it is thirsty - er than the new 3.2. The old 2.7T is more powerful than the new 3.2. The difference is that the torque of the old engine is BOTH stronger and comes on earlier than the new engine. The new engine gets somewhat better gas milage. They both use premium fuel.

My allroad gets good milage. Overall if the miles are freeway biased, the milage is 23+ -- if it is city biased, it is 16+.

If it is a Cincinnati to Columbus run, the milage is even better -- my usage is 2/3 freeway. I have not considered the allroad to be troubling in this area.

If the difference amounts to any real money, I would guess it is a couple of dollars a week overall.

Newer cars, generally, have better suspensions. The allroad suspension, however, is amazing in that it is the best of the Audi technology with respect to air suspension -- the allroad was the mule for the A8, the Phaeton and the optional current A6 air suspension.

Try it yourself.
  • rjenkins1rjenkins1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to this place and definitely new to Audi. Love the look of the Audi A4, trying to decide whether to bite the bullet or not. I'm sure many of these questions have been asked before, but I hope no one minds them being asked again.

1-A4 1.8 vs 2.0.....Is the difference significant? I know there are some 1.8's at the local dealership with reduced prices, but if I am going to spend the money, don't want to sacrifice a better car over $2000.

2-I am looking at getting this with most of the options(Premium, lighting, audio, etc). Any thing to be avoid? Any thing not to miss?

3-Right now, thinking about Quattro, but if I go that route, will have to go with manual transmission. Is the Quattro worth the extra money? I'm fine with the manual, imagine it would be more fun to drive. But without the Quattro would definitely make the car closer to my budget limit!

4-Pricing. I know this is tricky, but what should I expect negotiating price? I know the 2006's are now out and I would be looking at 2005 or 2005.5. How much do dealers typically deal with on these cars? Are you negotiating down from MSRP or up from invoice?

Like I said, this car is going to be close to the upper limit of my budget, but I am willing to deal with that because I really like the car. Would appreciate any suggestions or ideas in this process. And, again, I apologize for rehashing old material.
  • bigpapalukebigpapaluke Member Posts: 108
    1 - old vs new engine: The 2.0T is by far superior to that of the 1.8. There is a significant difference in Horse Power and torque. In fact, I would even rate the engine as better quality than BMW's new 325i. But that's one man's opinion vs another.

2 - I think you hit the main three as far as options goes: Premium, Lighting, and Audio. The Sport package gives it (IMO) sharper looking wheels and a much sportier ride. Since you are getting a manual transmission, you may want to consider that option as well. Also (depending on the state you live in), you may want to get the Front Grille Filler Panel (option 6W9). If your state does not require you to have a front license plate, it would be nice to have the front of the car look like it's not missing a plate and give it a rounded front. It's a no cost option, but might enhance the looks.

Sticking with item 2, the 2006 A4 will also allow for Bluetooth functionality. If this is important, then you may want to wait until the fall when the 06 models are coming out. The 2005.5 models don't have this option.

3 - Personally, I don't see how you can get an Audi without Quattro. I think the benefits with it exceed that of a FrontTrak Audi. I think those that have had previous experiences with a quattro Audi (i.e. Mark) may have a stronger opinion on the subject.

4- From what I've read in the "Buying Experiences" forum, some people have paid between $500 - $1000 over invoice for a new 2005.5 A4. I think several factors influence this: ordering the car vs off the lot, inventory, negotiations, whether or not to lease, etc. Typically when I purchase a car, I work up from invoice, around 2.5 - 3%. I found that number to be fair and have dealerships. Who knows - i f a dealer is trying to push out their 2005.5 inventory, you could get a great deal. You may want to browse the "Buying Experiences for A4" forum to gauge other people's experiences.

Best of luck and congratulations on the car purchase. Hopefully I won't be too far behind. :)

Luke
    "Personally, I don't see how you can get an Audi without Quattro. I think the benefits with it exceed that of a FrontTrak Audi."
    ------------
    I live in San Francisco, which gets less average yearly snowfall than Phoenix or Vegas. It's not supposed to rain in June (though we've had 2 days of good drizzle this year). Gas is about the most expensive in the continental US. I prefer the advantage of the CVT, which by the way, is an incredibly smooth and quiet transmission. I've been noticing that compared to my old Saturn, I'm not noticing it.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    The Audi A4 took second to the BMW 330i in a recent Edmunds comparison test.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=106052?tid=edmunds.h..insid- eline.promo.2g.*
  • texasex1texasex1 Member Posts: 3
    Is this reasonable, especially at this point in the month/quarter?

Car Specs:

Black/Beige 2.0, AWD, Automatic (I know, I know, but my wife insists . . .)
    Preimium Package
    Audio Navigation Plus
    Lighting Package
    Coldweather Package
    Wood Trim

Base Price: $38,995
    Lease Price: $37,499
    Downpayment: $2000
    Lease Term: 36 months
    Moneyfactor/Interest Rate: .0194/4.65% (seems very high, since I have excellent credit)
    Residual: 58% (seems pretty strong)

Lease Per Month: $539.21

I have not attempted to negotiate this price at all. I'd like to go for the 17" Alloy Wheels with All Season Tires (live in VA, which gets more snow than you'd think). What are the best levers to try to negotiate to bring down the price?

I plan to definitely try to get any security deposit waived and the moneyfactor lowered, given my credit.

Thanks -- hoping to close this tomorrow.
  • joxer1joxer1 Member Posts: 27
    Yes, some guy from Edmunds did judge the 330i as better than the 2.0T, not exactly apples to apples. Whenever I read a comparo I have to try to read in the bias of the writer - I may not be looking for the same things in a car, and this was in particular just to find the 'sportiest'. That doesn't even mean that reviewer would pick it based on price and all round use and features. I wasn't quite as impressed by the 330i (even in the power and handling department) as the reviewer and I did have it on a test track (auto-x style), and the interior is definitely not as high quality as the previous gen (ed. note: I owned one until 2 days ago) and definitely not as nice as the Audi interior (note 2: picking up a 2005.5 Avant tomorrow). I absolutely loved the seats though, and there was one really nice interior colour combination, and the steering feel is typical BMW on the standard steering model (didn't care much for the artificial feel on the active steer at the track). But I was also shopping for AWD and wagon and the old 325iX Touring is gone, the new one isn't out, and the A4 Avant just made me decide not to wait to see what the new one who provide. If I was looking at these for a 2wd sedan, I would have kept my 6 year old 323i Sport for 4 more years instead, as the new models just aren't that much better dynamically and poorer interior wise.
  • taxman10taxman10 Member Posts: 59
    I'm scanning this forum from most recent posts - so excuse me for jumping in with no history.
    I have both a new A4 6MT 2.0Q and a 2005 Allroad 6 MT 2.7 - got them on the same weekend in Feb. Each car has around 3,500 miles on it now.
    The AR is the wife's ride - but I just finished a 30 mile errand run in it and I use it to go to bike races so I have long drive experience with it.
    As for the A4 suspension - I just got the 17" wheels/tires. But went for Premium, Cold, Lighting and XM Bose.
    The Allroad stickered at $47K and I got the lease deal at $45K. Premium, Cold, Bose/XM, Parktronic.
    I'd think a little better than 2K off should be achievable at this date in the model year and end of product cycle - try harder.
    Both cars are great and fun to drive. I find the AR manual to be "notchier" than the A4.
    I can get 27.5 mpg with the A4; no better than 20 in the AR
    I prefer the ride of the A4 over the AR. The AR's suspension is softer and less precise - better than my former 2001 Subie Outback LL Bean. I see many posts about fast wear on the AR due to the suspension - so tire expense needs to be taken into the decison equation.
    I find the AR seats a little "pillowy"; the A4 seats are firm/hard.
    The AR has my Thule rack on top and is hot looking in Cobolt Blue.
    Good luck making up your mind
  • dutchessdutchess Member Posts: 1
    I just drove the new A4 3.2. It was a good drive but not worth the $5000 increase. I am about to look at a used 2005 A4 3.0 4dr AWD Special Edition (automatic) with a Sports Package. Has anyone any feed back on this edition? Thanks!
    I've been doing more driving in my 05.5 2.0T CVT. Here're some observations:

1) There is some turbo lag, though not nearly as much as the 1.8T. It's pretty much solved by putting it into "manual" gear 1 from a dead start and sticking it back into CVT mode at about 2k RPM (or once you get going). S mode works, although not as well, but you don't have to pay attention to shifting back.

2) The suspension is awesome. (Regular suspension)

3) The transmission is beautiful. It is so smooth and quiet, in all 3 varieties (CVT, S, manual)

4) The auto-dimming outside mirrors are a welcome relief.

5) Nav is so cool.

6) Nice turn radius.

So far I have no complaints other than the stupid armrest placement (Gahhhh!) and the seat heaters seem fairly weak (though maybe that's because I've only used them in S.F. when it's in the upper 50's). Still figuring it all out.
  • ferkyferky Member Posts: 20
    Hi. New to the forum and new to Audi. Just got my first Audi ever this weekend.

A4 2.0T Quatro Auto
    Quartz metallic/platinum
    Premium
    Lighting
    Cold
    Sound
    17"

I love the look (inside and out) but I'm not sure if what I feel in the trasmission is typical of Audi and my first tiptronic, or something else. I hope I can explain this well. Basically, in slow speeds and accelerating through 1st and 2nd (Auto - D) the car is jerky and responds slowly. I tested this out this morning on my 45 minute stop-and-go drive to work. Here's what I got:

Full stop idle I'm at 800 rpm
    Slow and gentle acceleration in residential neighborhood behind other cars and I'm in 2nd before I hit 1200 rpm (sometimes it was even shifting at 1000).
    Shifts to 3rd around 1400-1600.
    And all of this below 25 mph!
    That's a lot of shifting going on below 30 mph and it makes for an unsure slow acceleration with some jerkiness. Slowly coming out of my driveway it was even shifting into 2nd at 5-10 mph.

Rapid acceleration (not racing speeds, just like 0-40) was better, but still not what I'd expect:
    With a heavier foot I'd be out of first around 1400-1600 rpm and into 3rd before 2000.
    These quick and untimely shifts really affect what should be smooth acceleration.

S mode was exactly what I would expect from an S mode. Each gear is held much much much longer and I have no complaints, except that S mode is not ideal for my commute and the type of driving I usually do. My current D mode is light years behind S mode. It's like a different car. Haven't tried shifting manually because it's something that I just won't do on a day to day basis.

Can anyone offer any advice here. Is what I'm feeling normal from the 2.0T auto? I've got all of 185 miles on the car, do I need to bring it back to the dealer? Oh yeah, if you couldn't tell, I don't know jack about cars -- let's keep any discussions on layman's terms. Thanks!
    Based on years of experience and hundreds of posts here on edmunds and everywhere else, it would seem you are experiencing "normal" manu-matic behavior.

It is too late for you (and me too), but I would hope people reading these posts will realize that Audis are (or should be) to be acquired with 6spd manual transmissions.

Tiptronic lag is real -- and it is for the most part "normal" -- the program is designed to upshift as soon and early as possible and there is often a lag in downshifting as if the transmission is double checking to make sure that your recent press on the accelerator was not a suggestion but a REQUEST.

The programs on the S class cars and especially on the RS class cars do not have the same issues as the lesser versions. A 6 speed auto should keep the revs as close as possible to a "sweet spot" of engine torque. Apparently this is NOT the case in the current (and recent past) generations of tiptronics.

I have noted this before, this is NOT unique to Audi. The Mercedes 4Matic also likes to get the RPM's as low as possible as soon as possible but do not share the same "enthusiasm" for downshifts unless in tip mode or unless the accelerator pedal is pressed hard, which in turn often cause a RUSHHHHH of power beyond what the driver really wanted.

The current generation of 5, 6, and 7 speed autos (not DSG or SMG or CVT variants, however) all seem in one way or another to suffer from some kind of lag. The BMW we recently tested hunted all the time, never sure if it wanted to be in 3rd or 4th no wait, back to 3rd, up to 4th then 5th then down to second for a lunge as we go on an uphill entrance ramp.

We ended up with the 6 speed manual in the new Bimmer.

My new (soon) A6 will have the tip -- I anticipate some issues with this and plan to mitigate them somewhat by using "S" mode a lot of the time I am driving in town in stop and go and slow and go traffic.

There is a tip chip that may help this -- but the results are mixed, google the tip chip and read up on what is offered. At this stage, there may be NO new tip chip for the current software release of the new 6spd A4 tip.

Shoulda got a stick, sorry to say. :cry:
  • travantravan Member Posts: 8
    What are the differences in the 2005 and 2006 versions of the A4? Does anyone know where to find out what the options are for the 2006 and costs? Just wondering to whether or not to order a 2006 model or go for a 2005.5.
This discussion has been closed.