Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    prflyerprflyer Member Posts: 5
    Some very good Sonata information. It is the international Hyundai site, so it may not be exactly what will be sold in the US, but what is there looks cool!

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/
  • Options
    With the price of gas being what it is, I wonder if Hyundai will offer all the luxury options of the LX (such as leather heated seats) in the 4 cylinder?
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    You can get the GLS in a 4 cyl but not the LX.
  • Options
    delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    The Fort Laud auto show is coming up here where I am. Hopefully I'll finally get a chance to see, touch and feel the '06 Sonata. Can't wait.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Hyundai did not ship the new Sonata to the Greater Twin Cities Auto Show. :-( The Hyundai exhibit was unremarkable; Hyundai obviously decided to focus on the cars "on the truck." Their highlight car, up on a pedestal, was the old XG. They also had lots of Tuscons. Fortunately, other automakers like GM, Ford, and Toyota spiced up the auto show with models that will be out later this year and even some concept cars. For example, Ford showed off the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr trio that will be competition for the new Sonata. They actually looked pretty sharp, although I hate all the chrome Ford it putting into their new grilles.
  • Options
    That's very disappointing to hear. I mean how could they? They have to know that people like us are craving an up close and personal review of this newly re-designed vehicle. Perhaps they are really being careful and paranoidedly so. 'cause they want it to be perfect! I hope they show it in S. Fla. Holding out hope. Welcome to the new Hyundai --
  • Options
    I suspect it is because the Hyundai dealers in the Twin Cities want to sell the '05 Sonatas they have on their lots before the '06s arrive. They are offering an auto show rebate of $500 on the Sonata. In previous years, this rebate was offered on the entire lineup--this year, just the Sonata. (Other automakers offer this rebate as well.) The dealers obviously want to clear these old models out ASAP, before the new, improved Sonatas start rolling in.

There was an ad for a new base '05 Sonata in today's paper for $10,750--a lot of car for the money, and about the same price as other dealers in my area are advertising on Elantras with no options.
  • Options
    bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Look for the magic words "dealer retains all rebates".
  • Options
    Naturally--also "Invoice # 123456".
  • Options
    gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    I too was quite disappointed not to see the '06 Sonata on display. Why Hyundai is so secretive about upcoming models is beyond me. They've got at least three new models coming out within the next nine months - why not drum up some interest? GM and Ford put out all their fall release '06s. And all 3 of VW's Jettas on display were the new body style. When I rolled through the Hyundai display at about 4pm, it was *almost* as dead as the On Star presentation. If they weren't giving away a messenger bag at the top of each hour, they could've closed early.
  • Options
    negativenegative Member Posts: 107
    The '06 Sonata was on display at the Philadelphia auto show in early February, up on an elevated turntable behind a rope barrier, so you couldn't get too close to it. The passenger's side doors were open. The Hyundai rep. said he didn't know much about the car but gave me a vague brochure that has about the same information as hyundaisonata.com.
  • Options
    buzzard767buzzard767 Member Posts: 14
    When and where is the Ft. Lauderdale Auto show going to be? I live in Naples, two hours away, and I'd make the drive if the 2006 LX is going to be displayed where the viewer can get close to the car.
  • Options
    The show will be held from March 16th thru 20th at the Broward County convention center. I'll see if I can find out whether the '06 Sonata will be there.
  • Options
    Of course the dealer will retain all rebates. That is because the dealer is ginving them to you up front and Hyundai will credit that amount to the dealer. You could take the rebates as cash back to you direct from Hyundai, but you will wait for the money and depending on what state you are in you will also pay more sales tax.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    and poke the first picture.Is that not a hot sedan, or what? Hyundai is spot on with this new Sonata.I think it's gonna sell in large numbers, boys!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,272
    Look at the dashboard material around the center stack, it appears to have the same quality as the GMC Canyon/Colorado. The words "not good" come to mind. Nice layout, though...
  • Options
    dajake those are really some very sweet pics! great find! As I haven't seen or read about anyone's impressions of the car up close it's hard to say what the quality of the dashboard material is like. But if they're trying to compete on quality with Honda and Toyota I would be surprised if they scrimped on that.

Found out from Hyundai that '06 Sonata would not be at the Fort Laud Auto show. Bummer. So will have to wait until it's locally available down here.
  • Options
    yendisyendis Member Posts: 4
    When you actually see, feel and sit inside the 2006 Sonata I think you will change your opinion
  • Options
    I am a BMW owner (7 series) and have owned German vehicles most of my adult life. The 2006 Sonata LX far exceeded my expectation, pictures of this vehicle does it no justice.I am going to be the first in line to buy one and yes, trade in my Beemer in the process.

The 2006 Sonata is going to blow away its competition when it is introduced. The refinement of it's interior and outstanding exterior styling equals to my BMW,along with all the standard equipment that says it all. Those of you who have not had the pleasure of driving, sitting and feeling this Sonata are really missing out. My prediction is the 06 Sonata is going to be The new Car of the Year.
  • Options
    Did you get to drive one? If so then who do you know. My district rep claims that he hasn't even seen one outside of the car shows. I don't think I need to ask what you thought about the car judging by your enthusiasm.
  • Options
    I did get to see one up close and personal, although I did not get to drive it, I did get to ride in it. When he hit the accelerater, I actually felt the G force push me back into the seat. The car came from Fountain Valley driven by one of the reps.
  • Options
    Motor Trend's COTY is based largely on the "significance" of the car. If the '06 Sonata does turn out to be fully competitive with the best in its class, i.e. Accord and Camry, then that would indeed be significant in the marketplace and could justify a COTY. It would signal that Hyundai has arrived not just as a supplier of high-value cars, but as a supplier of fine cars regardless of price.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,272
    As I understand, the current Sonata is a lot closer to the Camry than an Accord or BMW. That is to say, not much of a performer, really soft ride, tires give up quickly, leans a lot in turns, etc... I have seen evidence that Hyundai is serious about the features of the car, but will believe they are serious about performance when I see a head to head comparison with competitors.

I went to the Hyundai USA site and notice that side torso and curtain airbags, ABS, traction control, and ESC will be standard on all trim levels. Impressive. Now, if it is entertaining to drive, they will have a contender!
  • Options
    From what I saw, when I sat in it, the Camry doesn't come close. The more comparable feel would be the 5 series BMW or Accord LX. Lots of upgrade and refinement on the inside. Hopefully you will get to see it next month in some showrooms.
  • Options
    Having just attended the recent Fort Lauderdale International Auto Show I was pleasantly surprised to see the appearance of an '06 Sonata! This after a Hyundai representative in Fountain Valley returned my call just days before the show to say that the '06 Sonata would not make an appearance.

Keep in mind the car that they brought to the show was a pre-production model. The representative from Hyundai also confirmed this. One could also tell because the odometer was in Kilometers and there were some interior pieces that were not complete from a final production stand-point. This was for all intentional purposes merely a representation of what the upcoming vehicle would resemble.

With the above disclaimer disposed these are my initial first impressions and overall feelings about the '06 Sonata.

1. Looks better in person than in pictures.

2. Rear end has only mild resemblance to Accord's. It would seem to me that any controversy between the Accord's rear design and the '06 Sonata should be easily dispelled after comparing the two.

3. Car lines are very symmetric and design flows go well together overall. Designed to appealed to target market.

4. Exterior Fit and finish are very good with details such as fully carpeted trunk lid with hydraulic lifts , also hydraulic lifts for the hood as well. Gaps between doors, hood and trunk are very tight and comparable to both rivals Accord and Camry.

5. Interior features such as 60/40 split folded rear seats , automatic dimming interior lights, over head illuminated vanity visor lights, dashboard materials and seating surfaces appear to be of good quality. Gaps are tight. I was impressed that even in this pre-production car at how well the interior fit and finish pieces were well assembled to very tight tolerances.

6. Front seating is comfortable and rear seats are very supportive with adequate thigh support.

Since I had the opportunity to view both '05 and '06 side by side, one could see the stark contrast between where Hyundai has been compared to where they are heading now with the new '06 Sonata. In a word, Impressive. The Hyundai representative who came with the car stated that Hyundai expects to start retailing the new Sonata in June or July.

I believe Hyundai has a winner here. Too soon to say whether it will be a runaway but it's easy to see that this vehicle is a definite milestone in the auto manufacturer's history, especially here in the U.S.

I am quite eager to see the Alabama final production model and test drive one as well.
  • Options
    Your impressions on the exterior mirror mine from when I saw the new Sonata in Seoul last fall. It does look better in person, and the rear end doesn't look like an Accord's. The exterior styling is more bland than the '05 Sonata, but in a way reminicent of Acura and Audi--which is not a bad thing. I think it's as good looking as the Mazda6, with the Mazda being more sporty but the Sonata looking more upscale.
  • Options
    docjoshdocjosh Member Posts: 21
    To '06 Sonata fans!

I have been searching and questioning forums like crazy about this new car and no one can answer my question. I was hoping some of you knew something that no one else has. Do you know if we will be able to get a Sonata LX with the black leather interior with red trim? In korea the car is called the SONATA F24S (24 for 2.4L and "S" for special edition). I love the black interior and red trim and have been wondering if that would be available. I would buy the first one off the lot if available. I also think we will all be pleasantly surprised at the leaps and bounds Hyundai has made with this one. THANKS!
  • Options
    mononeomononeo Member Posts: 89
    This is not for certain, but I am pretty sure that we will NOT see black leather in our Sonatas.

In the press material, and from what I've seen online of the American versions, I have only seen gray and tan leather interiors. Our version is not the exact same car as the overseas one. For instance, the Korean model has chrome on the bumpers front and rear, as well as navigation, and a reverse-sensing system. Ours has none of this.

My bet would be that if they are to come out with black leather and red trim like the Korean one, it will be with the introduction of the AGCS (Active Geometry Control Suspension) which will be later on. Perhaps we will be seeing a Sonata GT...
  • Options
    June for the release of the 2006 Sonata? I don't think my Plymouth can last that long....:-P
  • Options
    Hyundai has told us to look for them in late April to early May, so June sounds aboght right.
  • Options
    frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    Can someone provide info on this and when can we expect it?
  • Options
    The last time I was at the Hyundai dealership, I was looking into buying a car, and the salesman was really knowledgeable. I drove an Elantra GT, which I didn't like very much as its stick was too loose. I drove the Tucson V6 which I loved, but it was too expensive. He was so determined to get me to buy a car that he even had me drive a third car, a Tucson GL. I told him that I definitely didn't want the Elantra, but that the Tucson was too expensive and thirsty when equipped how I liked it. I pried him about when the new Sonata is coming out and he didn't sound certain.

Two days later, he called me back about Tucsons. I told him that I wasn't really interested, and that I'd probably wait for the new Elantra in the fall. He remembered my questions about the new Sonata, and informed me that he had spoken with the regional distributor (or something official like that), and said that I can expect to see Sonatas at our dealership in April. He said he'd call me when they come in. Judging by how persistent this guy was, I know he wouldn't just let me get by him. This really makes me think that they will definitely be out by the end of April at the very latest. I know that they already have begun production of the Sonatas a long while ago, so it's soon, trust me.
  • Options
    Good info and explanation mononeo. As far as release of the new '06 Sonata? Just as I said and was repeated to me by the Hyundai reps who were at the Ft Laud Int'l Auto Show - release date is going to be in June sometime. They didn't seem too confident it would be earlier than that even when I pressed them for a possible late April/May release.

If Hyundai plans an earlier launch than June then good for them but I would imagine if they were feeling salty about releasing it sooner than that they would be making more noises already.
  • Options
    I strongly disagree with the idea that it will come out in June.

Look at it: The new Sonatas are already being stockpiled in Alabama.

The www.hyundaisonata.com website says that the cars will come out in "Spring 2005". Considering June a spring month is a bit of a stretch, it's more like early summer. Especially in the automotive industry.

Also consider the fact that there are no old Sonatas being made. The EF Sonatas were all made in Korea, and they have not been made since early summer of last year.

Then think about the fact that they added the "Special Value Model" GLS with heavy discounts, in an effort to get rid of the remaining Sonatas.

I can think May at the very very excrutiatinly latest date. June is much too far off. Mid-to-late April is my bet.
  • Options
    z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Member Posts: 101
    Has anyone noticed the unusual pattern in the carpeting? Go to http://www.hyundaisonata.com/ , click on the "gallery" link, click on the last picture in the gallery, and look at the carpeting on the rear center hump.
  • Options
    alycaralycar Member Posts: 2
    I saw the pattern in the carpeting and I like it! Really different.
  • Options
    391 of 394 Re: AGCS (Active Geometry Control Suspension) [frasierdog] by mononeo Mar 22, 2005 (12:36 am)
    The Active Geometry Control Suspension:

This is what I know of it, but I can't remember the sources.

There is some good information in this, although not about AGCS:
    Unfortunately, although it is not a forum, I cannot post a link to a site with FORUM in the name. If you'd like to see the information, go to google.com and search for "building a camry fighter" or "2006 Sonata" and find an article from Caranddriver.com.hk (Hong Kong)

AGCS is a system that control the angles at which the wheels hit the road. Basically, imagine a view of the car from behind. The wheels are not exactly straight up and down angle-wise in relation to the pavement. If you were to look at a 1996-2000 Honda Civic, you'd see that they have really bad angle aperture (I think that is the right word) for which the wheels hit the road. Essentially, they look like they have so much weight in them that the suspension is being bent and the wheels aren't hitting the road right. Definitely not perpendicular.

The Hyundai AGCS system controls the angles at which the wheels will "hit" the road. Hyundai says that this will provide optimal handling in all driving conditions.

Think of it like this:

You're driving down a straightaway. So that the car will feel more stable to the driver, the suspension flexes so that they are at an angle similar to this: Imagine this is a diagram of the car, which the parenthesis being the outside of the car, and the slashes being the wheels:

( / \ )

If you were to take a corner really fast, so as to provide the best handling around the bend, or in an emergency maneuver, it may do something like this if you were turning right:

( / / )

If you were moving really slow and trying to park in a tight space, the car may try to provide the most neutral steering possible:

( | | )

And remember, this system is continually adjusting. There are probably millions of different approach angles and what not.
  • Options
    alycaralycar Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what the estimated starting prices are?
  • Options
    I don't think we are "allowed" to know the pricing just yet.

My guesses at starting prices (no basis in reality):

GL 17,500
    GLS 19,000
    LX 20,500
  • Options
    mononeo - I hope you're right about the release date being sooner rather than later. The information about the June release date came from the Hyundai reps I spoke with at the Fort Lauderdale Auto Show.
  • Options
    prflyer I'll take a stab at pricing (guessing)as well.

GL - 18,500
    GLS - 19,200
    LX - 23,500

Who knows the pricing maybe somewhere between our two guesses?
  • Options
    bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    "I drove an Elantra GT, which I didn't like very much as its stick was too loose."

TWM Performance makes a short-throw shifter kit that will tighten up the stick a lot.
  • Options
    I own a stick Elantra and the shifter feels similar to that in the Spectra5, to me. But individual samples can act differently. It's definitely not as precise as, say, a Civic. The short-throw shifter is on my wish list. :-)
  • Options
    tkddadtkddad Member Posts: 1
    I think it looks great....so anxious to actually sit in, drive and look at a 2006 Sonata...
  • Options
    frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    Google
    "Bravo to Hyundai for making stability control"
    First link
    Great pictures of US model

The new Sonata rides on double A-arms in front and a multi-link setup in the rear, and Hyundai’s active geometry control system will be available later in 2005. It regulates toe-in, or the angle at which the wheels are turned inward, at the rear wheels using electric actuators that vary the geometry of the control arms. At low speeds and in a straight line, toe-in is reduced; at high speeds, it’s increased. The result, Hyundai claims, is optimal geometry in all conditions and therefore improved roadholding, especially in high-speed cornering.
  • Options
    vivonavivona Member Posts: 410
    Here is an early review of the 2006 Sonata from the British magazine Autocar:

http://www.autocarmagazine.co.uk/FirstDrive_Summary.asp?RT_ID=213966
  • Options
    Thanks for the review--interesting read. At least the reviewer was honest about his bias, which is common in Europe. Family cars with boots just aren't big sellers there--witness the lack of popularity of the Jetta, for example, but the Golf is a huge seller. The most intriguing comment IMO was on the ride--seemed pretty firm for a Sonata. I wonder if it gets firmer suspension tuning in Europe than in the U.S.--not uncommon for carmakers to do that. If not, it could mean the Sonata (in V6 trim) will get a good review by the likes of C/D--they put handling above all else, even if the car has a harsh ride.

Also note a diesel version will be coming to the U.K.--wonder if it will ever show up here?
  • Options
    gat135gat135 Member Posts: 7
    1st US Sonata production is schedule to begin on May 20. Chairman Chung Mong-koo is currently visiting the plant.

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2005/03/24/200503240035.asp
  • Options
    ray hray h Member Posts: 120
    Given the propensity* for Sonata's under-engineered rear stabilizer interlink bushings to wear prematurely, this may end up as expensive rear suspension technology just waiting to go wrong.

*I just had to have mine replaced, both sides, at a cost of $400.00+. 13,650 miles on a lightly driven car after 2 years, 3 months' ownership. These pieces are considered "expendables", so no warranty coverage. The service manager told me they see a lot of these, and Hyundai doesn't seem to care. (If you have a 1998 or newer Sonata and notice "popping" sounds from the rear over bumps or through corners, you're already in trouble.)