Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Rio

14567810»

Comments

• rioownerrioowner Member Posts: 45
    As of June 08', the mileage per gallon has risen dramatically. Unless it is the way I fuel up. I have noticed, (I have owned a Rio since 1/08 and got 32-34 mpg), that the way one fuels their vehicles, especially the Rio, that it is noticeably different. To explain what I am saying, I filled up the Rio after it got down to a quarter tank of gasoline, and it took somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-9 gallons. It gave me approximately 32-36 mpg and sometimes as low as 33 mpg. And that is watching how I drive, not alot of starting and stopping, and some highway miles. Normal actually, but all the while watching how I drive, no jackrabbit starts, no revving, no speeding, etc. I continued on and starting filling the tank up at one half. The mpg rose to around a steady 36-37. I tried that, while gas was still around 3 bucks a gallon. NOW, starting in April 08', I am putting fuel in my tank every 105-135 miles driven, which puts the needle at just above the three quarter mark. Folks, I have been doing this for three months now, and get the same results each and everytime. Backroads, highways, byways, doesn't matter. I am getting from
    39-45 mpg constantly. All I have to do is fill up when my odometer shows around 110 miles on it. Or, just above the three quarter mark. I have gone over it once or twice and got the same good mileage as up to 125 miles. What is it? I don't know, but I assume it has to do with volume in the tank. You may have to stop more often, but try it. It is well worth it to save a few bucks, not just once, twice, but everytime you fill up. If I'm lying, I'm dying.
    I live around Louisville, not in that city, but close. The price here is .39 cents hight per gallon than in a town 30 miles to the south. Elizabethtown is what it is called, and they have cheaper costing gas, as does Tenn, and Franklin, Ky. Why is Louisville cheating its patrons? Because they can, and get away with it? Got any ideas? I am rioowner in diguise. Later
  • ole58ole58 Member Posts: 2
    I need to know if the doors of a 2002 Kia Rio four door will fit on a 2001 Kia Rio four door.
    Not to be a smart azz, but ask a body shop from Kia. That is the sure way of finding out, and I really don't think people out here are trading doors, so I don't suppose they would actually know, unless you happen to get one that is a body person. I bet they are the exact same. They could be different, but I doubt it, really. Measure the door dia. and then horiz. and they should be exactly the same, and the thickness of the door, with the guts in the exact same place, (catch, latch, etc.) By the time you read this, you probably could have already found out. I hope someone helps better than this. good luck.
  • ole58ole58 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice rioowner. I did ask and they are the same. My problems are solved. I wish all problems were solved that easily.
  • jeramieanderinjeramieanderin Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with their A/C?... I have an '03 Kia Rio and my A/c keeps going out. When I start up my car, it won't blow any air on any of the fan speeds. After I get going faster on the highway, sometimes it will start to work on the highest blower speed only or it will work if I hold in the knob (while steering and shifting gears of course). Now it's working less and less, even while trying to rig it. Last year I took it to the dealership and they said it was a blower switch. After $350.00 and three trips, they finally were able to fix it temporarily. Now it's doing the same thing and I am so frustrated. I don't want to get ripped off at the dealership again. Does anyone have any advice. It's 100 degrees every day and I have an 18 month old baby to keep cool this summer!
    Thanks, Erin
    Erin: More than likely it is the contacts behind the switch that are making contact occasionally. If you know of anyone mechanically inclined, should be able to take the front off the switch and look at the contacts. They will be worn if this is the problem. Holding in the switch or knob pushes the lead against the lead causing them to work. Possibly adjusting the contact, which should be a strip, small strip on both sides and maybe able to pull them out so they will contact each other better. I had this problem with an older car, can't seem to remember which one or year, but I did this and it worked. It is funny how the dealership could not fix it and charged you an amount way overpriced. Ask Auto Zone if they can help, or the parts house in your neck of the woods. It should be an easy task if it works sometimes. Sorry I cannot be of any better help than that, but that is what it sounds like to me. bob
  • hatchbackqueenhatchbackqueen Member Posts: 10
    I'm afraid my A/C trouble ('02 Rio Cinco) is a bit different from yours--mine works, but smells plasticky and I can't adjust the vents to blast cold air right on my face--when I'm having a hot flash (don't laugh!). I have to lean all the way down and to the right to get enough cold air to stop it--not a good driving position--I never had that problem with my last car (Mazda 323). Note to self: never buy another car without checking that I can blast my face with cold air without having to turn myself into a pretzel!
    Does anyone that owns a Kia Rio read these posts any longer? I mean, except for a few here and there? Does no one get involved or have anything to say about their Rio's anymore? I like talking about them, but seems no one else does, unless they have a problem, and then, only one or two answer. Is anyone out there???
  • kennybeeakkennybeeak Member Posts: 21
    Yes, I do read them. Some don't concern me, such as the one above about air conditioning, as I do not have air conditioning. Others do, such as a recent series about timing belt failures, which I read with interest, and intend to act on when my Rio reaches about 50,000 miles. But I had nothing to say that others had not already said. I did contribute to the discussion about gasoline mileage, but that was my only contribution. But yes, I do faithfully read the posts.
    Yes, I do read these posts. I just got my Kia (2002 Cinco) and I, too, read with interest about the timing belt issue--something I've always replaced regularly as clockwork in other cars. I'm not mechanically-minded, but I do want to learn about issues and things to watch for.
    Thank you guys or gals for responding. I was beginning to think I was in the twilight zone. So there are people out there that read these posts. Good deal.
    I haven't been thru all the posts to read what is happening to these cars, maintenance, belts, timing, and such, so I don't know too much about the cars except what I experience. The timing belt is a big deal? To change it when the car hits approx. 50k? I don't have air on my vehicle ither. I didn't use it when I had it. The air blowing in the windows of my four door are suffient. I got two keys when I bought the car and one was not the right key. I found that out when I tried to carry one and my spouse carried the other. I was locked out. I went to the dealer to find out why and they hadn't a clue. They don't make keys. They sent me three miles away and had one made, which I paid for, said they would reimburse me, but it took them 48 minutes to copy the key. They really didn't know about the Rio's. Six tries to copy the key, and finally they got it right. I went back to the dealer to get my three dollars back, and they asked for a receipt. I had none. Didn't think one was necessary. I had the key. I went off just a wee bit. I drove my gas for a mistake you made, had to wait while they tried to make a key for 48 minutes, and now you won't give me my three dollars??? I went on to say, that is poor bussiness-like professionalism. I talked to the manager, gave him my side, and the salesman that did this, told me to go there, use my gas, my time, he just set over in the corner and never opened his mouth. Not being rude, I just gave them my personal opinion of the way they handled that situation. The manager gave me a free oil change, as he stated, "that is about a thirty dollar gift", and I replied, you wouldn't have to have done that had you been professional about it in the first place. I am probably not well liked at that dearlership. The salesperson that sold me the car no longer worked there. I am not surprised, the way they do bussiness, they probably get under fire alot. I bought the base model. No air, no radio, no power at all. The next step up was 6k more than the base model. You get air, a radio, power locks, power steering, but still have crank windows. I cannot imagine 6k for air and a radio. The power steering is ok, but for 6k more for that stuff, no thanks. The steering is great. No problems unless you are in a tight place, which just stay out of tight places, no problem. There is less to go wrong with it. I put a 85 dollar radio in it. I roll the windows down, I lock the doors with my elbow, and turn the blower on my feet. Not a bad ride for 9990. I still get over 39 mpg and that itself is paying for the car. I traded in a vehicle that got 20 and 21 mpg, so go figure. Nice to see someone is listening. Good day to ya's.
  • jeramieanderinjeramieanderin Member Posts: 2
    I think last time I had to go to that dealership, they basically told me that if I don't change the timing belt and it "happens" to go out, then I'll have to replace my whole engine. That was enough of a warning to get my attention!
    The timing belt is hard to get at, so when you do it, ask your mechanic when to replace the water pump. A few years ago I was proactive in replacing the water pump at the same time as the timing belt because I had never replaced it in about 14 years and didn't want it to go at some other time because the labor costs are high for replacing the timing belt. I've been pretty religious about replacing them every 60,000 miles. I'd like to say I'm as careful about other maintenance, but apart from regular oil changes, I may not have registered in my brain the other things that need to be done regularly. Now I have an '02 I plan to be more diligent about regular services/tune-ups--I understand Kias are fussy about such things!
    So, how much moolah are we talking about when changing the timing belt, if you happen to know? And that is a good idea to change the water pump. Some vehicles, like the saturn require a certain anti-freeze coolant, which I did not know about when my mother passed, I got her car and the pump started leaking when I put coolant in it. It was low, and running fine, then all of a sudden, a few days later, the pump went out. I investigated, and found that the coolant needs to be from saturn, and no other coolant would work. Imagine that. Like the Rio, the oil is a higher viscosity than normal. Usually 10w30 is used, but I think it should be 20w50 or something like that. Some may not know that and use the lesser of the two. I wonder if that would work hard on the pistons. Can they tell if you use the wrong oil in your car? So, I have about 50k more miles to drive before a timing belt is needed, so I will or should know by then. Start saving now I guess. On a Miata, it cost me over 460 bucks. I have had five of those cars. Great cars, but don't have much room for packing bags going anywhere for a week. As small as they are, the gas mileage is not that great. I got 31 on the highway and about 26 in the city. Not near as good as the Rio. And I can take more shirts and shorts.
    I just had the timing belt replaced in my '03 Rio. $442.
    On the dealer's recommendation, I had it changed at 50,000 miles. Apparently our rugged Alaskan winters are hard on timing belts, and they frequently go out prior to 60K.
  • roysharoysha Member Posts: 1
    Hello folks.
    I am new to this board so if I ask a question that has been asked and answered, I apologize and ask that the appropriate post/posts be shown to me. I did a search but either I entered the incorrect search words or this situation has not been addressed.
    My Granddaughter has a Rio, I believe an "03" and the last three or four fill ups she can only get a couple of quarts into the tank at a time and then it flows out around the nozzle. I am reasonably certain that it is a vent problem but not sure what to do about it. I believe it goes without saying, I would like to avoid a costly repair so if there is a simple fix of some sort, I sure would appreciate the information.
  • DanskerDansker Member Posts: 1
    Oh how to I hate being a single woman when dealing with cars. I recently purchased a 2002 Kia Rio. It certainly looks like the salesman took me by the nose, moneywise and otherwise. Anyway, a friend of mine told me her auto mechanic suggested I get the timing belt replaced at or before 60,000mls. Otherwise, the engine would falter and I'd have to replace that as well. I've never heard of such a thing. The auto mechanic (apparently trustworthy) told my friend it would cost me $600.00. Currently, I only have 51,000, so have a little bit of time. I put on only 4-5,000 ml/yr. It'll be a few years before the car is paid off, (that's how much I paid) so I'm interested in doing what it necessary to keep the car going. Any suggestions you folks may have will make me very happy.
    It may cost you $600. It only cost me $442. If you have any choice as to where to have it done, shop around. To other readers: Could a Hyundai dealership replace a Kia timing belt? If so, this would broaden the options.
    I have an '02 Kia Rio Cinco I just bought in May. I may be forgetful about some car maintenance things, but I have always been religious about changing timing belts on time. A mechanic may also suggest that at some point you replace the water pump at the same time (I don't know how long they should last) because they're close together and it costs the same in labor for either job. So I did that once, too. I agree with the other writer who said it should cost around $450 or so and I don't think you need to have it done at a dealership--any competent mechanic can get the right belt and do it--I avoid getting work done by dealerships whenever I can--they always charge more! I kept my last car 16 years and although I had another belt go out on me without warning 'cause I hadn't been checking it or getting someone else to do it--it was easy to access and cheap to replace, unlike a timing belt. So your friend's mechanic is quite right. In Canada I replaced my timing belt every 100,000 km (60,000 miles). Good luck with your car!
  • jsteelerfanjsteelerfan Member Posts: 4
    In all actuality you must have your timing belt replaced at 40,000.Your warranty is up on it already because it was not changed yet.If you dont know anyone who can change the belt you will have to have the dealership do it.Do it now before its too late,trust me,been there,done that and you dont want that to happen.Your belt breaks and you will have to get a new motor.Have them change the water pump also.
  • fookeyfookey Member Posts: 2
    Hi. U are in for big time headache.U might need another ENGINE.While the engine was running as u say your TIMING BELT might have jumped.Due to lack of foresight of not replaceing it as recomended by Kia.I think every 90.000.Km.U have to remove the front timing cover to axcess the cam shafts .Then try to turn the engine manually see and feel that it is turning without any high resistance or locking up.If it does then DRAIN and Contain your coolant from the engine,and go on to remove your CLYNDERHEAD.if your valves are bent get the clyhead repaired by a machine shop or rebuild shop.Check that your Pistons are not damaged [No holes ] if they are then i am afraid that u will need another engine.I hope that answers you Question.
  • xkmailxkmail Member Posts: 36
    I need a rear seat for a kia rio cinco, does anyone know some junkyards that stock alot of interior parts?
    I am near los angeles
  • melinda10melinda10 Member Posts: 1
    I had same problem with my ac it was a relay under the hood it cost me around $60.00 from dealership I put it in myself b/c it just a plug in fuse pretty much just a lot bigger than regular fuse.
  • kalisilatkalisilat Member Posts: 2
    Adding gas I usually let the pump shut down the flow, but on my Kia Rio the gas spills out when the pump shuts down. Anyone have this problem??
  • newbie50newbie50 Member Posts: 2
  • newbie50newbie50 Member Posts: 2
    Where is the oil pan/plug for the 09 Kia Rio? How is the oil filter best accessed?
  • stitch832stitch832 Member Posts: 1
    If you ever changed a cars oil once you get underneath your rio you will see. But make sure you take the extra time to take off the bottom plastic protector cause oil will get all over it and end up getting dirt and grim all over it and it will look nasty next time you go change it
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking for a car shopper who thinks 40 MPG is a requisite before they buy. If you have recently shopped for a car, and you have only considered cars that get 40 MPG, and you are willing to share your story with a reporter, please contact pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at noon Pacific/3 p.m. Eastern.
  • bjbravobjbravo Member Posts: 1
    send me pictures and cost of this spoiler
    ondesigns@gmail.com
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi - that post is more than 5 years old. I doubt the member still has the spoiler.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I saw a red Rio5 at a Kia exhibit at the State Fair yesterday. It looked exactly like my LX so I walked over to it. I looked at the sticker and noticed it was an EX, MSRP over $19k. I sat in it and was underwhelmed. It was hard to tell the difference from my LX, except for the leather covered wheel and the center armrest/console. The audio controls were different also, but a similar appearance to my LX. There was thin padded vinyl trim on the door panels, but it was so thin I don't think I'd miss it, plus it looks like the hard plastic on my LX. The interior cloth was different, but not so different than in my LX that it matters. Outside, I had to get close up to the car that the wheels were alloys and not the plastic covers as on my LX--very similar in design. And of course the powertrains are the same in both cars.

So now I'm glad I went for the low lease deal on the LX. If I were to pay $19k MSRP for a car, I'd rather go with a compact like the Elantra/Elantra GT, Mazda3i sedan, or Forte LX.

Not a lot of activity here! My red 2013 Rio5 LX AT just passed 7,500 miles and I'm bringing it in for its 1-year servicing tomorrow (a few days early). With only 7,500 miles it will be a pretty cheap service--oil/filter, tire rotations, a few checks... and the free car wash! :) It's been a boring first year, and that's a good thing. No problems at all with the car, at least not the fault of the car. Did somehow pick up damage in both rear tires--a screw in one, something undetermined in the other. I need to get those plugged, but for now just adding a few pounds of air once a week or so.

Fuel economy has been as good or better than the EPA estimates--the OLD EPA estimates, before Kia changed them. Can easily get over 40 mpg on the highway if I stay at 70 or under and the weather is moderate--not in the below zero stuff we had last winter though. Around town, I'm getting 34-36 mpg average with a mix of city & suburban streets and urban freeways, some of that during rush hours. ECO doesn't seem to add much to FE and it makes the car more sluggish, so I turned it off.

Overall I've been happy with the car. It's done everything I expected and more. I love how I can park almost anywhere--a great benefit in tight parking ramps or on city streets. Enjoying the Sirius radio (re-upped for about $4 a month, after saying "no thanks" a few times to higher offers). Driver's seat and position are comfortable for a couple hours at least--as long as I've driven the car at one time. Suspension isn't super-refined, but handling is good and the car tracks straight on the highway. I like having enough room in the back for a couple of adults, as I have older kids. That's a no-op on some small hatches like the Fiesta. The only thing I wish the car had is cruise control--not available on the LX. But I rarely take it out of town, so that's not a biggie.

Not sure yet if I'll buy the car out at the end of the 3-year lease. Depends what else I can get for around $10k, or a low lease payment like I got on my Rio5.

I was surprised to see (12/30/15) the Kia Rio on CR's list of 10 Worst Cars, i.e. the cars that have the lowest satisfaction scores from owners polled by CR. I'm surprised because I've been very satisfied with my 2013 Rio5 LX AT. It exceeds its EPA fuel economy numbers except in very cold weather (like we're having now in Minnesota). It's been reliable, with no problems in 2-1/2 years. It's fun to drive, has plenty of power for a small economy car, has smooth & intuitive controls, and in general has done everything I expected of it.

I'll probably buy it at the end of the lease in June, since the residual is reasonable, then keep it for another year and sell it myself when it still has a year and ~30k miles of factory warranty left.
    I said goodbye to my red 2013 Rio5 last Saturday. I turned it in 3 months early off its lease for a 2016 Forte5 LX. The dealer picked up the last 2 payments and gave me a great sign-and-drive deal on the Forte5, such that with insurance savings ($220/year less) and avoiding paying for license tabs on the Rio in a couple of months plus some other savings, I'll be paying about $40 less a month than if I had bought the Rio5 at end of lease and about $20 less than the lease payments on the Rio5. And while the Rio5 served me well for nearly 3 years of trouble-free driving, the Forte5 is a much nicer car, with many features not on my Rio5 such as Bluetooth, cruise, map lights, lighted vanity mirrors, side mirror flashers, temp gauge, padded armrests, center console with sliding armrest, rear seat armrest, six speakers, 16" wheels, etc. plus more interior room.
  • sean2345sean2345 Member Posts: 22
    MF/RV 2017 Rio ex in NY. 36/12
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    sean2345 said:

MF/RV 2017 Rio ex in NY. 36/12

Doesn't appear that Kia offers a lease program for the Rio.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator