Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus VX 470

setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
edited March 2014 in Lexus
Has anyone heard any news on the Lexus VX 470, and if it is actually going to be built. Motor Trend's website claims that it is going to be out in 2006, but I'm not sure if Lexus is still planning on releasing it.

It's supposed to be a "luxury version of the Sequoia" and it's replacing the LX 470. I think this would be great to compete with the Cadillac Escalade and the new Infiniti QX.

If this VX 470 comes to production, I would like to see a nice big engine, tons of new standard features, and distinctive styling that makes it differ from the Sequoia.

Anybody have anything else to contribute??

Comments

• lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    It's probably gonna be called the VX550 since toyota, from what I've heard, would currently be working on a new, powerful V8 engine to put in its next GX, VX, 4Runner, Sequoia and Tundra. But I think GXs, 4runners and Tacomas (if it gets a V8) will keep the 4.7, because they're smaller and lighter. It is sure that it's gonna be at least a 5.5 liter because of Nissan and its 5.6. It will probably be good for 330 hp if I take the example of the 4.7 that does 60 hp/liter. And I think it's really gonna be a 2006 that will appear in 2005 because if you look at the 2005 LX and Landcruiser, they don't get any engine changes (a boost in hp, like other toyota products that have the 4.7) and that probably means it's gonna be replaced very soon.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    I sure hope it's 5.5L! From what I've heard, it's going to be a 300HP+ 5.0L...
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    When do you think Toyota will reveal it to the public? They've been known to keep things secret until the very last moment. Do you think we will see it at Detroit?
  • reliabilityreliability Member Posts: 8
    rctennis3811,

Actually, what I have heard from some friends of mine(Toyota Connections) is that Toyota is serious about a Ford F-250 Competitor. That means not a 5.5L but more like a 6.0 L. Also I heard Toyota is targeting 400 HP and 450+ ft-lbs of torque.
  • founderfounder Member Posts: 48
    Sounds nice, but this new SUV will no doubt sky rocket well past the current LX470's price of 70 grand. I'm not cheap, and Toyota makes good products, but no way will I shell out an extra 30 grand for a jazzed uped Sequoia. The current Sequoia is priced from the mid 40's to mid 50's, and I think it's quite reasonable, but what is Toyota truly going to do to a Sequoia to warrant a massive price jump? Slapping the Luxas name on that truck isn't going to impress me. I'll stick with an escalade or something caparable.

A freind of mine told me that lexus isn't going to price to far ahead of an Escalade, in fact it'll be pretty close so as to compete in the market, but i'm skeptical of this, and know come 06 that this Vx or whatever it'll be called will be well above 70 grand, no doubt close to 80. No Thanks.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    Who is the competition? Lexus has primarily targeted Range Rover with this vehicle, since Mercedes fields no competitor. The Range is $70k+.

A Sequioa is much larger than a Range, a better value in size. If Lexus matches or exceeds the power/features of the Range, expect a similar price, with the extra value of more room/tow/pass capacity.

I would expect a shade below $70k, an a new Sequioa the same year, maxing out at $55k for a loaded Limited.

DrFill
  • indy93indy93 Member Posts: 97
    I guess slapping an Escalade ESV name on a Yukon XL truck impresses some people..... 70 large for ESV (Platinum) vs. 50 for Yukon XL (Denali) Somehow that's much different than a Lexus Seq.....?
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    yeah I dont understand that either. At least Lexus can in part justify the cost with best in class materials, something Cadillac has never been able to do.
  • husky92husky92 Member Posts: 56
    I would expect they'd price it below the current LX 470 by a little bit. Remember the LX 470 is based on the LandCruiser which is priced in the $55-60k range as it is. I'd expect the VX470 to be in that range probably competitive with the Infiniti QX56.
  • indy93indy93 Member Posts: 97
    You're right about that...Lexus/Toyota execution, quality and materials are always light years ahead of Cadillac.
    A 6.0 liter V8 is expected. Since the current 4.7
    does 60 hp/liter in its most powerful version (282 hp), the new one will surely put out a minimum of 360 hp. If weight doesn't increase a lot, acceleration could be way better. This new engine will probably be derived from Lexus' new 5.5 V8, that'll be built to be used in the future GS, LS and SC. That one could easily make 400 hp and that'd be perfect for the next V8 GS that'll probably get the new, very powerful 3.5 of 280 hp, in its V6 version so the 2 won't be too close in hp like the 3.5 and the 4.3 that probably will in 2006.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    A Lexus version of the Sequoia? Sounds awesome!

Where will it be built, Indiana?
    I tink you are mixed up here. The 5.5 V8 is a Toyota Truck engine for the next Tundra, etc., not a car engine. Toyota doesn't need or want that big a car engine (feul economy), especially with their advances in hybrids. If they need more power, they can add it while increasing economy, not with displacement. That ain't happening.

DrFill
  • speedluxspeedlux Member Posts: 23
    husky92,

I think you are missunderstand, the cost of new SUV doesn't base on it platform of other suv are selling. Yes, Sequioa is cheaper than LandCruiser, because it less technological, and at lower price to attract new custome to Toyota full size suv family. It won't be a suprise if the new VX 470 it more expensive than current Lx470. If it have bigger engine and more technological.
  • blkcadillacblkcadillac Member Posts: 47
    I agree about the quality and materials in the Lexus over the Cadillac, however Cadillac has something Lexus has not been able to do with a full size luxury SUV and thats put style with it. And please don't hate Cadillac Lexus's current SUVs hp is just a whimp..It's like 235 hp or so on such a large SUV (LX) is really sorry, and head to head ESV Platinum Ed 70K for the Caddy is better theres more room, power. Features like heated and cooled seats, two DVD players for second and THIRD ROWS!!! power adjustable pedals, 20" wheels, etc, however it's your money :)
  • blkcadillacblkcadillac Member Posts: 47
    Did you forget about Mercedes G500?
    So you're telling me the 5.5 is the next Tundra engine? I thought Toyota wanted to build a 6.0 so that Nissan's Titan doesn't have a bigger, more powerful engine. And what will happen to the next Lexus cars V8? Not sure they're gonna keep it like it is. They're surely gonna make it bigger, I don't know, a 4.5 or 5.0?
  • hittindabowlhittindabowl Member Posts: 4
    actually on the motor trend web site it says 5.4 liter for the new tundra.Also my godmother works for lexus, and she told me a year ago the IS will have a coupe, convertible. They will also have a supera like sports car that will be 90 grand with a hybrid V10 engine that will be optional on the LS, to compete against S600 and 760iL. There also developing a AMG/M like programe, but it wont be as huge because lexus is first a luxury car.She says all will happen once lexus is developed in japan as a seperate brand as it is here.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    This new truck is mentioned in an article about Lexus in this week's Automotive News, an industry trade magazine. All it says is that the truck will be called the JX 470, be based on the Sequoia platform and arrive in spring 2006. It is not certain whether it will replace the LX 470 or supplement it.
    Thanx for the crystal ball view of Lexus! This heresay makes sense, as Lexus will have a sports car to replace the NSX as THEY standard in Japanese performance, and still stay a strong value at under $100k.

Using a hybrid V10 for both the sports car and LS makes sense, as a V12 is no longer necessary, with Hybrid Tech.

If you get any more info, please send it down!

Blkcaddy

I wouldn't go breaking my arm patting myself on the back about the Escalade becoming stylish. If rappers didn't put dubs on every Escalade, in every rap video, and give Caddy all that free exposure, it wouldn't be half as popular. When the hottest thing about your truck is the wheel wells....GM can't thank the ghetto fast enough!

DrFill
  • rivertreerivertree Member Posts: 2
    this question has been asked several times already, but here goes again!!!!!!!!!!

When will this thing be on sale, have got the bug.......cant hold out much longer.....need a fix.......
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    The Toyota Group is planning on redesigning or introducing 18 models in the next two years, or something like that. I bet that the JX 470 will be around by early next year.... I hope. It sounds like a nice alternative to the Escalade, which is NOT a good looking car. My friend's mother has one (she's pretty old, the car is gigantic to her) and it is very gaudy, not to mention that the interior looks like a Trailblazer. But that's not my point. Since the Sequoia is a good SUV (from what I gather) it would figure that its Lexus variant would be very good as well. Anyway, the segment needs a more utility-minded Lexus, because the LX470 is a tad weak for its size,and it shares its engine with another SUV that is much cheaper
  • msmtema99msmtema99 Member Posts: 5
    LX OR VX doesnt matter by name
    but i think if there is really VX sharing wheel base with sequoia i think there will be also new gen LX sharing the wheel base and mechanics with the new land cruiser
    TOYOTA not silly to delete the out roads cabability of the landcruiser from lexus catalogue
    just think about it
    how want space with good price go to VX
    and how want the true out roads cabability with luxury welcome in LX
    There's no guarantee that Toyota won't cut the Land Cruiser when they introduce the new FJ, and that would cut the LX off right there. I think that they will make the GX the off-roader, the VX a 65,000 Escalade killer with lots of space and the LX the super-plush 78,000 do-anything machine.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    If Rap Artists didn't put them in every Music Video they produced, and if basketball players stopped buying them in droves and "pimping" them out with spinners and outrageously large rims, the Escalade would probably be like any other GM vehicle- a ho-hum rebadged truck with extra features and carrying huge incentives.
    Even as it is.... I think that Escalades are worse than the competition. A Navigator is more luxurious and bigger on the inside, a Range Rover has a lot more panache and really good off roading credentials, the LX470 is also not a bad off roader and is a very sturdy machine. And the QX56 looks funny....

If I was a rappa (hey stop laughing) I would pick a navigata ova an escalade.
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    Lexus definitely needs to redesign their flagship SUV on the outside. The current look has been around since like 1998. Lexus needs to do a better job of differentiating the LX470 from ordinary Land Cruisers. Otherwise, why pay extra? The interior of the current LX is perfect the way it is. For the redesign, Lexus should bring in a new engine with 300+ horsepower so that it can really run with the Navigator, Escalade, QX56 and Range Rover. Towing capacity should be bumped from 5000 lbs to 8000+ lbs. Lexus should also make bigger third row seats like all it's competitors.

However, the one thing I want to see Lexus do most is give the VX/LX styling that is it's own not derived from another vehicle.
    If I were a rap artist I'd go for either the LX470 or the Range Rover.
  • frankwhitefrankwhite Member Posts: 4
    The LX/Land is probably discontinued, as the 4-runner/GX are still truck based and called the Land Cruiser Prado overseas.

The new LX will have a much bigger and more powerful engine, Toyota is not fooling around with the trucks/tundra again.

It will be Sequioa based.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    I don't think Toyota will kill the Land Cruiser. The name has too much history, even in the US and it's still a good seller. I can see maybe Toyota using a shortened Sequioa frame for the Land Cruiser and Lexus LX.
  • bgreigbgreig Member Posts: 17
    I hope the new LX will have full sized seats. There is no reason the top vehicle from Lexus should have seats that pale in comparison to those of a Mercedes S class and BMW 7 series. Why not adjustable cushion depth, power ventilation, etc.? The LX is a perfect vehicle in nearly every way, except that the seats were designed for midgets.
    The FJ is way lower on the price scale than the Land Cruiser. Besides, the Land Cruiser has quite a reputation. It's also a lot more versatile than a lot of the competition in the 50k SUV segment. Ever thought about taking an Escalade off-road? Navigator? Me neither.
  • umcpgradumcpgrad Member Posts: 1
    I've been waiting patiently for word on when (or if) the LX is going to be redesigned. I for one would LOVE to see Lexus produce a true Full Size Luxury SUV. It seems like Lexus is going for bold new designs, as we see with the new GS and IS. Also Lexus says the Concept Car - (LF-A) represents a new design direction for all of their cars and SUVs. Imagine a bold, new, full size SUV from Lexus!!! I'm just hoping that they don't price it to far over 70K. I'm looking all over the web for any specific news about the new Full Size SUV... Can anyone point me to anything out there???
    I can't, as there hasn't been much speculation as to the new full sizer.
  • toy4metoy4me Member Posts: 13
    I agree with umcpgrad! I'm in the market for a new full size SUV for my new blended family. I'm considering a new Sequoia but would like to know for sure if Lexus is going to create their own version of it. I've read here that it may be called the VX. Does anyone have any info on this? I don't want to buy a 2005 Sequoia when either Toyota or Lexus will come out with something better in just a few months! Please shed some light on this for me, if you can! Thanks.
    For the NEW Tundra to launch, then build one off that.

This would explain the lack of news.

That would be at least 3 years away.

DrFill
  • carnutincacarnutinca Member Posts: 35
    I have researched the above for weeks now and there is absolutely nothing that has leaked out of Toyota/Lexus concerning their new full size SUV plans. However, if the past is any indicator, Lexus will build the new 07/08 Sequoia on the new Tundra platform and share this with a luxury Lexus model just like they did with the new 4Runner/GX470. New SUV platforms are so expensive that economics dictate that it must be shared by each brand. I believe the Sequoia is due for a new model in 06/07 since it came out in as an 01. 07 model year for both brands is my guess. Note that in 07 the new Tahoe/Sub/Escalade and Exped/Navigator are also due out.
    That's very interesting
    Edmunds deleted my link to the actual article and I can't find it on Lexus press releases. The only major change to the 06 LX470 is 235 to 275 hp and Mark Levinson stereo standard (instead of option). Price went up $1800 too. A few other cosmetic changes but nothing remarkable.
    BTW, this "FJ Cruiser 4X4" is probably the eventual "back-to-basics" heir apparent to the Land Cruiser name.

I'd rather they build a Supra, and Toyota Execs have pretty much said the money that COULD'VE went to a future Supra-successor has gone to Toyota's 6TH SUV.

I see the end of the Mega-Cruiser coming in 2007.

DrFill
  • thegriffonthegriffon Member Posts: 12
    All I will say is that everything here about the next-gen is wrong. The new V8 is not 5.0, 5.4, 5.5 or 6.0 L. It is not VX (nerve gas). Sequoia-based JX470 may not happen after all, despite practically no-one buying the LandCruiser and LX in the US. But a new LX is coming soon, sharing a new V8 with the next Tundra. New Escalade will be here next year, and media shown previews say it is to die for. Mercedes will also have a new large SUV, the new G-Class or MLG-Class, much more expensive though.
    I haven't heard a thing about the nex gen LX, though., so it can't hurt to speculate.
    If the past is any predictor of Lexus in the future, then a full size Tundra/Sequoia based flagship SUV is my guess. Look at the Forerunner/GX470 who share the same platform. Platform sharing is essential for a feasible cost structure. Also, note that the MB M class has a "stretch" version called the R class coming out this fall. It will be about $65,000 equipped comparable to an 06 LX470. The Lexus V8 is basicly the same across their LS/GX/LX/GS(400) models.

So if the new Lexus V8 is not the displacement that you write, what is it, and how do you know this??
  • vatvatsethovatvatsetho Member Posts: 18
    I actually like the styling of the LX, even if its 7 years old. I wouldn't mind seeing a 4th SUV added to the Lexus lineup....ie VX. The VX would go against the Escalade, QX45, and Navi. While the LX would go against the Range Rover, G-class. I can see the VX more of a RX than a GX or LX....meaning like not much off roader....highway and city use. The LX would still stay...the awesome 4-wheeler it is now. And then I would make the GX more 'sport' oriented, less off roading...to go against the ML, X5, Range Rover Sport. The RX will still be the same, the good car based SUV it is.
    People think that the LX is really old, and I'll agree that it isn't a new SUV by any means. It is, however, a superir off-roader and with the added 40 hp tweak for this year, it isn't underpowered as it used to be. I'd probably go with a Land Cruiser, but I can't see why Lexus should get rid of its most venerable SUV.
    Still nothing new about the VX?
    nope. Nothing.
  • john242john242 Member Posts: 1
    Absolutely agree. A new Toyota Land Cruiser Prado must have

1/ a better diesel engine, probablu V6 common-rail, variable turbo engine, as is currently offered 3.0 litre - 4 cyl is OUTDATED and WEAK for that heavy car
    2/ a 7 seats as a standard
    3/ better suspension because people bying it more for on than for off road.

Toyota wake up, you have to match new Mercedes M -class , BMW X5 or a new Land Rover Discovery 3.

John from Australia
  • supra4lifesupra4life Member Posts: 5
    It's almost been a year since someone posted in this thread and still, nothing is new ? Did Lexus abandonned the VX project ? Does someone know what's hapenning ?
  • supra4lifesupra4life Member Posts: 5
    BTW, the discussion name could be changed, no way the VX can make it to be a 2006 model, at least 2007, if not 2008...
This discussion has been closed.