Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Duramax Fuel Mileage

blackmaxblackmax Member Posts: 6
I just bought a new 2004 Duramax Chevy, extended cab with short box. I filled the tank at 226 miles and showed 17.2 mpg. I filled again at 500 miles and now show 15.2 mpg. This is kinda discouraging. Is this normal? I bought the D/MAX expecting 18-20 mpg. The only difference is a tonneau cover being added between fill-ups. I drive 25 miles to work on four lane highway at approx. 70mph. Any comments??

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I got real excited about the DuraMAX when it came out. I read so many cases of mileage in the range you are talking about that I lost interest. I was hoping for 24 mpg on the highway and have not read of anyone getting that.
  • quadrunner501quadrunner501 Member Posts: 94
    The worst tank I ever got was 17, and the best was 22. Overall average between 18-19, city and highway.

But...manual transmission (6 spd), and lightweight regular cab.

And the new LLY is a completely new design, new heads, new injectors, new garrett turbocharger.
    And the new LLY is a completely new design, new heads, new injectors, new garrett turbocharger

Is that the new GM DuraMax? Is it a 2005 model engine? How is the power compared to the older models?
    The LLY was released in the 2nd 1/2 of 2004 year model run. It has more horsepower and torque, by exactly how much...I forget, something like 320 hp and 590 lb/ft torque, give or take a little.

The hp and torque increase is for Allison 5 speed automatic equipped models only, not the ZF-6spd manual.

The hp and torque of the previous LB7 was 300 hp, 520 lb/ft torque.
    ...of the new Duramax LLY are the new heads, which put the injectors *outside* the valve covers, rather than underneath them as on the previous LB7. This is important because if an injector leaks, it will spill diesel fuel down the outside of the engine, rather than cause the crankcase to fill-up and overflow from the inside.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what's been happening. GM recently sent out notices to owners of 2001-2002 Duramax diesels that they *may* experience injector failure caused by high fuel return rates or cracked injector bodies, and that accordingly, GM will extend the warranty on *covered* failures (not all) to 7 yrs/200,000 miles. While that's a small positive step, my $0.02 is that GM has not gone far enough. Since they KNOW they have a problem with the Bosch injectors, the appropriate and ethical course of action would be to issue a recall for all affected vehicles, and replace the bad injectors with the updated ones the owners should have expected in the first place. FYI, these injectors operate under very high pressures, up to 30,000 psi, making them completely different animals than cheap injectors in gasoline engines which operate at a lowly 50 psi, and cost less than $100 each. The bosch diesel injectors cost upwards of $500 each, 8-12 hours labor to replace them, and some have been replaced 8 at a time under the GM warranty. You do the math...that's quite a bit of exposure for an owner to accept. Diesels are fun, but you could pay to play if you hold on to one beyond the warranty period. The bosch injectors are on national backorder at this time. Dealers cannot give a time frame if you are unfortunate enough to suffer this malady, except first come-first serve.

The other features behind the new heads and variable inlet garrett turbo-charger are primarily to address emission concerns and future low sulfur diesel fuels.
    That is good info. I was thinking of a used Duramax. Gives me reason to hesitate. Is there a problem if you do run the ULSD in the Duramax? You know I was so excited when they came out with that engine. I have held off buying a big truck to have it all sorted out. Now I don't know if I should go for the new Cummins or Powerstroke instead. I hate the looks of the Ford and Dodge.
  • blackmaxblackmax Member Posts: 6
    I guees I will just have to ride it out and see what happens. I have friends who say they are getting 18-20 mpg. I have one friend that has the equipment to re-program the computer, says it gave him 2 more mpg. Any comments on this? First diesel for me, I'm green.
    No reprogramming on mine...stock all the way. The quality of fuel can make a difference, also summer blends or #2 versus winter #1, which is thinner so as not to gel in the cold.

The cetane rating of fuel affects mileage and power, but it's hard get reliable information, or even know what you are getting at the pump. Find a reputable fuel source that you trust, and stick with it.

I think your mileage will get better, however if you have the newer LLY design, some reports are that it hasn't been getting as good a fuel mileage. It makes more horsepower, so the re-programming that matters most is possibly located underneath your right foot.
  • jwashinjwashin Member Posts: 2
    2001 2500HD,6.0, Automatic transmission. Just bought used. When accelerating truck feels like its under load. Is this normal for this truck? How does yours feel. Also, seems like there is slight slip when going from a dead stop to start. You can feel it a little.
    Thanks for the info. How would I know if I have the LLY design? Is it on the new car window sticker or do I need to find an engine number??? Most of the Cetane I have found is 40, I hear there is a place around town that sells 44, I will check it out. Last tank got 15.8. Thanks for the info.
    I don't know how you tell, unless it's in the VIN or engine code or something, or maybe on the certificate of origin or titling papers...

The old design is the LB7, new design is LLY, a mid-year 2004 introduction. The LLY has more horsepower and torque too, and apparently worse fuel mileage...but again, that could be a consequence of the driver.
    Or, if you see something that looks like injectors on the outside of the valve cover, because the LB7 design has the injectors UNDERNEATH the valve covers, so you can see only the fuel rails.
    Found an easy way to tell if you have the LB7 or the LLY that came out in mid 2004. The owners manual shows oil filler caps for each engine. The oil filler cap for the LB7 has the following: (Engine Oil, 15W-40W.) The oil filler cap for the LLY has the following: (Engine Oil, HUILE-MOTEUR.) When I raised the hood I saw that mine was the LLY. I understand that these engines do not get the fuel economy that the old style gets. Also, I ran a tank of fuel through with the tonneau cover rolled up and went from 15.8 to 16.8. I am now runing another tank through with the cover in place. I'll see if that really makes a difference.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    blackMax, how about that fuel usage?
    Fuel mileage dropped back to 16.0 with the cover on. BUT! I also found out that my tires only had 40psi in the front and 70 psi in the back. I have gauged them up to recommended 80psi and I am running another tank through. Will let you know.
  • youngeryounger Member Posts: 16
    2004 Crew short bed. I have been getting anywhere from 17-19.....current odometer: 2500 miles. Not too bad with a topper on the back. I'm guessing the mileage will get a little better once the miles start to season the engine.
  • 2manytoys2manytoys Member Posts: 6
    Though I have now sworn off Duramax trucks, I have owned two of them, an '01 and an '03. I never got any better than about 15mpg average with either one. If you drive them no faster than 65 mph you can do better. I was making trips out west where 80+ mph highway cruising speed is the norm. There the D-max returned about 13-14mpg empty.

I have three Cummins powered Dodges, two '03s and now an '05. the '03s will cruise at 80--90 and knock down 20 mpg empty. They are also quieter and don't have an impending injector failure in their future.
  • tahoelocaltahoelocal Member Posts: 4
    3 weeks ago, I just bought a 2005 Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax Diesel.. First off, I love this truck. I traded in my 2001 1500 ext cab. Need the diesel to tow my horses and the crew cab to put the kids in, needed more room..

I have been on a few long trips, I just got back for a long trip 400 miles round trip some highway and some city driving the last part of the trip was all up hill going from sea level to 7,000 feet. I got around 20-21 miles per gallon average speed around 80 to 65 some traffic with stop and go. Very happy with the mileage I got. Much better than my 1500, which I got around 19 or less on highway, and forget about climbing up the hills it was a dog, and towing it did good sense I was maxing out the weight limit.. Glad GM made changed this model year... Love my new truck
  • chanichani Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying my first diesel truck purchase to haul primarily, a 3 horse trailer, and for standard road commuting, not heavy hauling. We started out looking at F250's, but are also looking at the Chevy's since we don't pull really heavy loads, the incentives are attractive, and the cab has a better feel for me, since I'm pretty small; and the rig and bed are lower to the ground.

I have some concern over the engine reliability,however. Any comments out there on the new Duramax engines?

My biggest concerns, of course are engine and transmission reliability-- I don't want to get stuck out on the road with horses.

Next is handling and safety; I'm not an experienced "big truck" driver. Turning radius is a factor, and the new tow package on the F 250's is an attractive feature.
  • rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    The easiest way I found to find out if you have the older LB7 engine or the newer generation LLY engine is by looking at the vin number. If you have a Duramax diesel, the 8th number in the vin will either be a 1 or a 2. 1 is LB7, 2 is LLY. rooster
  • tahoelocaltahoelocal Member Posts: 4
    Chani,

I am a woman who just bought an 05 duramax diesel crew cab. Two words LOVE IT!!!!

I bought it end of Nov, I have almost 4 thoudand miles on it. I use it mostly on the highway, and I am getting 21 MPG. The engine rocks, I drive up in the Mountains at around 7 thousand feet, and their is no difference in power from there to sea level, it goes up hill, staying at 70mph with no problem. Plus all the looks you get from the guys is nice also.. :)

I also haul horses, and will be using my truck to haul my two horse slant steel tow behind. I will also be hauling my friends 3 horse gooseneck. She has an F350 and my truck by far handles better, engine is better and I can haul as much as her.

From what I have been told this years diesel engine has been upgraded and is suppose to be better. The Allison Transmission is the best, never have to down [non-permissible content removed]. I live in snow country the 4x4 is excellent, had to use 4 low once and I was able to go threw 10 feet of snow with no issue.

If I where you, spend the little extra for the chevy, well worth it. Plus I also heard Ford has changed the diesel engine and everyone who has it is not happy, the engine has majot problems.

Good luck.
  • mcblazemcblaze Member Posts: 6
    My parents recently bought an 04 Crew Cab Short bed...i think they're averaging 15-17 mpg. We had the 6.5 in a 2wd Suburban. Blew the motor out of it over a mishap with minor service (sad story). Had almost 240,000 on that car. She got around 20. This new one slightly less, not a huge deal. Just lookin for any advice how to increase it. Thanks.
  • justatruckerjustatrucker Member Posts: 1
    There are (understandably) a lot of variables in getting good mileage. The LLY does its best mileage at 1880 rpm. The 3.42 rear end gets you at the right rpm at 65mph. If you have the 3.71 or 4.1 rear end you would have to drive much slower to be at 1880 rpm. If good gas mileage is important and you are not towing really heavy loads, then make sure you specify the 3.42 rear end for highway driving. (Not exactly sure I have the decimals right for the rear ends ;-)
  • trbizwiztrbizwiz Member Posts: 1
    IF YOU HAVE AN LLY THE 8TH DIGIT IN THE VIN WILL BE A 2 IF NOT IT WILL BE A 1 ALSO ANOTHER WAY TO TELL IS IF YOU TRUCK WAS BUILT IN THE SECOND HALF OF 04
  • benalbrightbenalbright Member Posts: 2
    Just returned from a 1200 mile trip with the following results:

2001 2500HD, D-max, Allison, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.73, K&N air filter, fresh oil change, 82,000 miles:

From Cincinnati to NYC (eastbound), I averaged about 20.5 mpg unloaded, driving 75-80mph.

From NYC to Cincinnati (westbound), I averaged about 18 mpg, with about a 2000lb load that stuck above the cab (extra windload) and a completely packed cab, driving 70-75mph.

I've had no significant problems to date w/ my D-max. I'm concerned about the injector issues but I would think that you would see signs of the problem in your oil if they are leaking within the cylinder heads.

Also, as a note, fuel mileage is directly proportional to the drivers ability to drive smoothly. When my girlfriend took a turn driving, our mileage dropped about 2mpg because she brakes more often and resultantly accelerates more. I usually let the truck coast down to stops by anticipating them and keeping good distance between me and the next vehicle.

As an fyi, installing the K&N air filter had no appreciable impact to perceived performance or economy.
  • dugodugo Member Posts: 1
    Looked at the very noisey Cummins, but Dodge doesn't have a 1.5 cab - just the 2- and 4-door models. Ford had to buy back a bunch of Powerstrokes that ate themselves. So, I went GM. I think it's the ugliest truck ever made, but I like the Duramax.
    MPG ganges in the 17's. I cruise 80-85 to work daily (74-mile round trip). High 17's. I had a 1,200-pound load for over a tankful for those commutes. 17.3.
    My old gas truck had to drop to second to pull a local hill with my race car and trailer. The Duramax? It was in 4th gear before I realized what was going on - that I was almost at the top of the hill with little effort. I looked back to make sure the trailer was still there! I didn't have it in tow mode either. 16.8 MPG with the race car back there.
    Can't argue with the torque. Amazing truck.
    24,000 miles on it now. I'm talking to Banks now - we're going to give it a boost!
  • spademanspademan Member Posts: 14
    I recently bought a 2001 D-MAX extended cap short box. I added a K&N air filter thinking it would help with mileage. I've read findings contrary to my hopes. Was this a waste of money? Also, is there any place short of a dealership to get clearance lights for these trucks??
  • rtinazrtinaz Member Posts: 1
    That my 2002 Chevy CC 2500HD CC 4X4 is the best truck I have ever owned and I love it. I don't care what engine number it has or what milage it gets, I love it! I tow alot and I do a lot with it, but it is reliable, always delivers, and is almost as comfortable as my Cadillac - and quite frankly: I love it. If you own one, no matter what the year, you are lucky! And chevy owners rock! You may not sit as high at the stop light, but in the end - you own, in my humble opiion, the best damn truck in the world. Enjoy!
  • luke6luke6 Member Posts: 1
    we just bought our second duramax.we have owned chevys always.I have sold all the brands with 12 yrs experience.we got 19 to 20mpg unloaded from louisiana to Idaho. We got 16 to 17mpgs loaded with horses or equipment on the highway.My husband got the same 16 mpgs loaded with equipment trailer in town. The Duramax is much Quieter than the cummins and thats a fact,you can not hear our truck in the paper mill you can the cummins.Take a look at your frame on the dodge it is almost half the size as a chevy,look at what holds your steering wheel to the dodge,a pin the size of a pencil. We pass dodges and fords loaded with horses in overdrive every week, half the time its up hill.The dodges injectors do fail as injectors do in all brands,but chevy has an additional 100,000 mile warranty on the injectors with the problem. Dodges are having inpending problems with their transmissions,thats a fact. The fuel mileage really depends on alot of factors,if you get 10 more horses and more torque it may take more fuel,also the driver makes the difference,the tires, the load,the altitude etc...the injector problem has been solved as of mid-2004,in the chevys,the 2001 to 2004 problem injectors are covered,thats a fact.I love our truck.msrp $45,750.00 bought for $37,400.00.loaded.
  • larrydilarrydi Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2002 hd allison ext cab 4x4 GMC Duramax, my mileage is 17 to 18 on the highway empty, 14 to 16 city empty but when I tow anything my mileage drops considerably. I have a 7,000 lb. 5 th wheel, not a high one ether and get 10 to12 mpg towing it. A double snowmobile trailer, maybe 2,000 lbs loaded and get 14 mpg towing it and a couple of smaller trailers which still get aroud 14 mpg. It seems whenever I put anything on my ballhitch my mileage drops way to much, the reason I purchased a diesel was because I,am always towing something and thought my mileage would hardly change with the smaller trailers. NOT SO. I shifted my allison tranny manualy the other day just to see what the pattern was like, I bought each gear to red line 3200 rpm. 1 st gear was 25 mph, 2 nd was 40 mph, 3rd was 51 mph, OD I didn,t bother with but I know it only does 96 mph top end. I have 3.73 in it also. On the highway I drive about 67 mph at 2000 rpm. Any ideas to improve this would be greatly appreciated. TKS.
  • the_vfoxthe_vfox Member Posts: 1
    At 23k miles, I get 17-20 unloaded, 10 - 14 towing the 5th Wheel, depending on terrain headwind etc.

;)

2004 Duramax Silverado Crew Cab
  • gemini5362gemini5362 Member Posts: 17
    I have just purchased a 2005 HD 2500 Crew Cab Silverado it has the duramax diesel engine and 3.73 gears. I am getting 14 to 16 mpg on the interstate running about 75mpg. With the truck unloaded. Last weekend i was pulling a 16 ft flatbed trailer with less than 1000 pounds of furniture on it my mileage dropped down to 11 to 12 mpg is this normal for a new engine I have about 1000 miles on it. I have been told as the engine begins to break in I will see an increase in fuel mileage at what point should I start seeing an increase.
  • laser2laser2 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of ordering a 2005 Duramax and the dealer told me that the lowest rear axle ratio available is the 3.73....anyone know if this is true...??
  • chvylvrchvylvr Member Posts: 1
    I drive and 2001 2500hd with the duramax and I love This truck. Yes, I had the injector issue and GM promptly replaced then under warranty with the upgraded models. An aggravation yes, but the "quiet diesel" technology was new and things happen. The Allison transmission seems bulletproof as I have dragged a loaded horse trailer 25 miles with the trailer brakes locked up and didn't realize it till I stopped and saw the smoke from the wheels! I saw no increase in tranny temp! Fuel mileage is probably 17 in city and a stable 20 mpg on the hwy running 70-80 mphs. :)
  • honda929honda929 Member Posts: 10
    I HAVE A 2005 2500HD DURUMAX LB 4X4. WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT THE TRUCK I WAS GETTING AROUND 17MPH. NOW THE BEST I GET IS 13MPH. I KNOW THE 4X4 MAKES IT WORST. I WAS TALKING TO A GUY WITH THE SAME TRUCK WITHOUT 4X4 WHO GETS 17MPG. BUT I HAVE TO SAY ITS GREAT TO GET 13MPG WHEN YOUR TOWING A TOY BOX OUT TO THE DESERT. SINCE ITS NOT AN EVERYDAY DRIVER I DONT REALLY THINK ABOUT THE MILEAGE.
    DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT TIRES ON THE STOCK WHEEL. I HAVE A 2005 2500HD LB 4DOOR 4X4. I HAVE ALLOY WHEELS WITH THE STOCK TIRE. THE STOCK TIRES LOOK REALLY SMALL ON TRUCK. I DONT WANT TO LIFT IT OR PUT BIGGER RIMS ON IT. I WAS WANDERING IF YOU KNOW A GOOD ALL TERRAIN TIRE FOR THE STOCK RIMS. ONE MORE QUESTION OFF THE TIRE SUBJECT. I GO TO THE DESERT A LOT SO MY CABIN FILTER SMELLS LIKE DUST. BUT I CANT FIND WHERE IT IS. DO YOU KNOW WHERE AND HOW TO GET TO THE CABIN FILTER. THANKS.
    DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT TIRES ON THE STOCK WHEEL. I HAVE A 2005 2500HD LB 4DOOR 4X4. I HAVE ALLOY WHEELS WITH THE STOCK TIRE. THE STOCK TIRES LOOK REALLY SMALL ON TRUCK. I DONT WANT TO LIFT IT OR PUT BIGGER RIMS ON IT. I WAS WANDERING IF YOU KNOW A GOOD ALL TERRAIN TIRE FOR THE STOCK RIMS. ONE MORE QUESTION OFF THE TIRE SUBJECT. I GO TO THE DESERT A LOT SO MY CABIN FILTER SMELLS LIKE DUST. BUT I CANT FIND WHERE IT IS. DO YOU KNOW WHERE AND HOW TO GET TO THE CABIN FILTER. THANKS.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi honda929 and welcome to Edmunds!

Just as a matter of info, typing in all capital letters on tthe internet is difficult to read and in most circles is considered shouting. When posting, can you turn off your CapsLock? Thanks!

kcram - Pickups Host
  • roughneckroughneck Member Posts: 21
    I recently drove through a dealership and seen a 2004 gmc hd duramax extended cab. it had 285 on it. i looked to see if there was any tire rub on the frame or bumper and didnt see any. but i dont know if anything was done to the torsion bars. it doesn't look like it because it filled the wheelwells out (front and rear) real good. as far as fuel mileage i have been getting about 20-21 doing 70 or so at about 5,000 to 7,000 feet with 45,000 miles on the truck. the real ticket is to get an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed and plumb it into your regular fuel tank. with this i can easily go over 2000 miles before filling up. but i usually take out a small loan when that happens.
  • maxie05maxie05 Member Posts: 1
    I has a 2005 DURAMAX. I've done everything to it, AIRAID air filter, Edge Juice/Attitude and 4" stainless steel exhaust with a straight through muffler.
    My mileage has dropped, have I gone to far?
  • mnicholsmnichols Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a 2005 Silverado 2500hd with the D-max. I traded in my Dodge 1500 with 4.7 v-8. The Dodge would "cry" every time I hooked up my travel trailer to it, but the chevy barely notices.... like a fly hitting the windshield of a mack truck, it just doesn't matter. I've been wanting to go diesel but the price kept me at bay until gm came out with the employee price incentive. With the that and a $3000 rebate, it turned a $43000 truck into a $33000 truck, I couldn't resist. It looks like i'm getting 17 mpg mixed highway and city with 2/3 of the miles coming from highway. I looked around and ford and dodge wouldn't match the price, only thing they could do was tell me how horrible gm was. Anyway, I got the W/T package and the factory had upgraded the seats to the cloth and put power windows and mirrors along with a few other touches.... I'm very happy with the d-max and would strongly recommend anyone interested in a diesel to buy now.
  • aarongdaarongd Member Posts: 8
    i also have a 2005 HD2500 4x4 with the duramax. i was told that it would get better as i also asked at 1000 mi. i now have 11,000 and still getting terrible mileage. i get around 13-15 city and highway. i also have 3.73 gears. not to happy about spending the extra $8,000 for the diesel for the economy when i could of got the 8.0 litre for substantially less with about the same mileage. let me know if you find a solution. by the way, i tried a K&N filter,it was a waste of money.
    read my posting #45
    read my posting # 45
  • 05duramax05duramax Member Posts: 10
    Just had my 05 2500HD Duramax for a week. Overall really like all the features and realize diesels are noisy, however there is an extremely high pitched whine it makes when you let off the accelerator at cruising speeds. Doesn't last long, but is really irritating. Anyone experiencing the same noise? Am getting about 18
    mpg so far and pretty pleased with that.
    i have the same thing on mine. originally i thought it was an issue,but i believe it ended up being the turbo winding down. normal operation.and yes, if you never had a diesel before, they take a little getting used to. you will notice other little things here and there that you aren't accustomed to. your lucky your getting 18mph. i am getting between 13-15 @ 65 mph.
  • 05duramax05duramax Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for letting me know it's just a normal characteristic of this engine. My driving is probably more at 55-60 so that's a definite factor. Overall I really like this truck and will like it even better when I get it equipped with a tool box and some other accessories. You're right about diesels just having some quirky characteristics. I hope at resale time it's worth the extra money I paid to get it.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter would like to interview diesel passenger car and pick-up owners and Southern California residents who'd like to buy a diesel passenger car but can't because new ones aren't sold in California. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Thursday, July 14, 2005 with your daytime contact info, vehicle year/make/model and city/state of residence, and put the word “diesel” in the subject line.
  • unklalunklal Member Posts: 2
    Just joined the forum, and I am getting exacly the same miles. Get about 10-12 pulling a 6200lb camper and right now back and forth to work is averaging about 17-18MPG. I was also told that after the engine broke in that it would do better for mileage. Had I know the mileage was going to be like this, probably would have purchased a gas engine for a chepaer price and cheaper price at the pump.
  • gemini5362gemini5362 Member Posts: 17
    Now that I have almost 3500 miles on my truck I am seeing between 16 and 17 but that is running at 75 to 80 miles an hour unloaded. I am very happy with my duramax the truck is fun to drive. I do have one other question about the truck. at 80+ miles per hour when driveing on a toll road in Oklahoma the truck seems to be very bouncy almost like the concrete divider sections of the road hit a resonant frequency for the springs. My brother in law who has an older duramax said his road badly till he went to a bigger tire (285x 16) mine rides fine on regular state paved highways it is just on the toll road I seem to notice this. At 75 mph (which I know is the speed limit the truck just likes to go faster than that) the vibration dies away to where it is almost not noticeable has anyone else had this problem.