Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Dash Kits are easy to find.
    Just google "wood dash kits" or something like that.

Here's one:
    http://www.wooddash.com/item/SUBARU_Dash_Kits_TRIBECA_2006

oh- cheaper here:
    http://www.exoticwooddash.com/Subaru/B9%20Tribeca/2006/prod14996.aspx

I agree with you-
    Japanese cars seem to have evolved believing that grey fake metal looking plastic is somehow nice looking. But- there's no accounting for taste.
  • Options
    x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    "f you do a search on previous posts, or scroll through previous messages there are detailed instructions on how get to the stereo, and yes there are A/V inputs back there. I have never tried to get back there, I have the 7Pas, NAV and DVD, so I just use the inputs in the back for Xbox or my i pod.

Yean this was asked a lot in the beginning but I thought noone ever found a way to the inputs on rear of stereo if there are any for mp3 player. Unless that was the whole taking out the screen and finding inputs there discussions but i didn't think that was for audio.

Anywah I also just run a longer cord from the rear inputs since i have dvd option and use it for my mp3 player and portable xm.

This has also been discussed but was never clear. What do you use for a power supply for the xbox? I wonder if any cars dvd player will have an upgrade to the inferior rca video input and have either svideo or component. maybe after market. do they even make HD screens for dvd player in car yet? that would be great to connect xbox and other stuff with HD component cable.

anyway so yeah what do you use for power supply with xbox and will it be enough for mine which is modded and has a 200gb hd init instead of the stock 8gb. has the games on it though so dont have to bring game cds with you.
  • Options
    x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    My complaint is the radio does not get loud enough in general especially when playing through the rear aux inputs to mp3 plyar or portable xm even with those playes output at max volume or near.

i guess its jus the usual with stock stereo in nicer weather with windows lowered a little even you can't hear. Tribeca is supposed to be quiet ride but i have to turn it up much on highway cus of road noise though maybe my 20's dont help.

I want to try getting the second sub under pass seat in addition to the one in rear with my limited but afraid it wont help the volume.

Also, can someone please let everyone know when the mesh grille is available for us 06'ers.

thanks
  • Options
    mikebutkusmikebutkus Member Posts: 18
    My wife's car, on a week's tank, going mainly HW and around town gets 20mpg according to the computer on Plus gas. Even in summer it was 19mpg average. This is Western Jersey, open space. Not bumper to bumper traffic.
  • Options
    kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    It's 20 times in 30 seconds, not 25. Here's the info I posted on my web site (don't forget to buckle up!!!!!):

----------

Warning: I am in no way responsible for anyone’s safety...just posting this as a convenience.

1. Turn the key to “ON” (not running).

2. Fasten and unfasten the driver’s seat belt 20 times in 30 seconds, starting from when you actually turn on the key. (This will set the passenger seat as well).

3. Turn the ignition on, and you should be set.

4. Setting lasts until the battery is disconnected or the system is otherwise reset.

5. If you want to do this as a temporary thing (just for one driving period), fasten/unfasten the belt 3 times in 6 seconds. The chime will reset the next time the car is started.

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    "Karen: I'm with you on this one. My filter was NAAAASTY when I replaced it. It was black, hard to believe it had ever been white, actually."

Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwww :P

-Karen-
  • Options
    Halfshaft, you bring up some good questions, and most have been discussed previously, but here's my $.02's worth:

"Agree" button thingy: dreamed up by a lawyer for those times when you take your eyes off the road at the wrong moment. And yes, there's no avoiding it on every startup.

"Seat Belt": it's 20 times per 30 seconds, not 25 times. See my separate post for details...it really does work!

"Mirror": may have to do with the darker privacy glass on the back windows, too, especially with those lovely bright 7-11 lights on front of you :-) There is no perfect auto-dim mirror (I think they are all slow to repsond), but it's great when you need it.

"Door open" and "Air bag" displays: one very informative (doors), the other not as much, but likely also dreamed up my lawyers who are way smarter than me...and yes, we're stuck with those, also.

The more I drive this car (just hit 16k miles just this week), the more I love it. It's not perfect (what car is?), but it fits my needs and my lifestyle very nicely.

Good luck with your decision!

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    aka1aka1 Member Posts: 110
    Recently "settled" on a B9 Tribeca. First mistake is you should have never "settled" on any car. Don't buy it unless it really makes you happy. Perhaps your wife wanted the RX350 or MDX and instead took the B9. The dash board was never designed or never intended to have wood trim installed: the trim would be stuck on to the dash, and with it being alteast a few MM in thickness, would impede the usefulness of buttons on the dash. The trim would never look just right on the curvy dash that we have. I do however agree that the wood trim would be very classy- this is my first car with a "silver" dash and was put off at first, but I enjoy it more and more every day.

Again, the MDX and RX350 have running boards as options.

Good Luck, cheers...
  • Options
    "I do however agree that the wood trim would be very classy- this is my first car with a "silver" dash and was put off at first, but I enjoy it more and more every day."

Sounds like you "settled" for the silver plastic dash. ;):)
  • Options
    No- settling on something is accepting a weakness and going forward knowing that weakness is there... My Audi in addition to Burled Walnut, has aluminum trim accents- but the B9 would have been the first one in a monotone silver- gives it a much sportier look- and its easy to clean as well.

Settling is more akin to buying a Toureg for off roading- instead of an LR3, the Treg is at the dealership way too often to ever be able to get off road much less the dealer service bay...
  • Options
    robotb9robotb9 Member Posts: 82
    20.4 in the last 9673 miles according the onboard computer, burning premium gas, in a mix of city and highway driving. I don't commute in bumper to bumper freeway traffic.
  • Options
    Darn- I've been thinking of buying a Touareg.
  • Options
    halfshafthalfshaft Member Posts: 3
    Karen,

A belated thanks for your answer, my computer's been misfiring.

I couldn't pull the trigger last week, but the car is still there and there's not much else out there that I like. I put a few gallons of high test in it, $3.09/ gal, ouch! At 20 mpg, this would be a significant increase, that's about the only thing slowing me down. As you say there's no perfect car and I can live with the other things. We'll see.

Halfshaft
  • Options
    msuvetmsuvet Member Posts: 54
    not really specific to the Tribeca, but since there's always some talk here about the up-cost to use premium & whether it's worth it...

Is the cost difference between regular/midgrade/premium generally $0.10 between all the grades? Here it is, or even less at a very few stations.

Doesn't that mean that premium actually becomes more of a "bargain" at higher total prices, since the up-charge is a smaller percentage?

Or am I just trying to rationalize things too much?
    ;)

Christina
  • Options
    "Karen: I'm with you on this one. My filter was NAAAASTY when I replaced it. It was black, hard to believe it had ever been white, actually." (quote from juice)

Mine was very dusty, gray, not so black. Just watching the service rep show it to me, I could see the dust just flying off that thing.

Word to the wise: do this service yourself, and save the $78 your dealer will charge you for it :-(

-Karen- in AZ-
  • Options
    My service rep asked me how I like the Tribeca after 11 months and 16k miles. I told her I love it more every day, and feel quite spoiled each time I drive it. She mentioned that they really anticipated lots more service problems since it's a new model, but have been surprised with very few issues in a year's time, and all relatively minor. Nice to know! Hope this is the case everywhere. (I'll re-post this in the Problems/Solutions forum for comments)

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    mikejlmikejl Member Posts: 78
    22,000 miles in 10 months, averaging right at 20 mpg. That's a mix of every kind of driving - rush-hour stop-and-go traffic, hilly, curvy country roads, urban commercial areas and pure highway.

When I can narrow down the mix to just highway, I see 24-to-25 mpg consistently. I think that's great for an AWD vehicle of this size.

I always use premium gas, even though it's not required. I believe the engine performance is smoother, acceleration is better and mpg is higher with premium than it is with lower grades. That's based on actual observation.

Around here, premium is 20 cents more than regular, no matter how high the overall price has risen, so it's no more of a penalty at $3.30 per gallon than it is at $1.89. The benefits are more than worth the extra 20 cents to me.
  • Options
    I wanted a Treg as well- the high price tag coupled with serviceability steered me away... Still a phenomenal SUV.
  • Options
    subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    My experience has been that I get about 10% better MPG with premium over regular, exception in inner city stop and go, then there is virtually no difference.

Since most of my driving is inner city and the fact that I am pissed at the oil companies, I use regular unless I go on a trip and can get better MPG from higher grades.
  • Options
    I see that the leather seats come either perforated or solid. Seems to me that the perforated would be more comfy. However- I think I've only seen the dark gray leather perforated, and not the beige leather (which I prefer).

Anybody know what the deal is with this option? On which models is it potentially included?

thanks in advance-
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    You are correct, the gray leather is perforated and the biege is not. Perhaps it's partly because darker colors tend to heat up more. Leather comes with the Limited only.
  • Options
    charlestcharlest Member Posts: 7
    And still loving this SUV! I'm a little jealous of the '07 model with the upgrades but my 12-yr old Maxima died and I badly needed a replacement. I got my 7-pas Black Limited with everything except the NAV and I've turned so many heads and gotten so many complements, its insane. It's been relatively problem-free in my 6 months of ownership and I've got a friend who sells Saturns and GM vehicles, looking into buying one! It could use some more HP but I drop it into Sport mode when I need a quick takeoff and then switch it back into regular mode once I'm moving...Problem Solved! My average mileage hovers around 18-19 mpg but I am a lead-foot and do experience a good deal of stop-and-go. Overall, I'd buy another and may buy the wife one, once this car-note has been paid down. :)
  • Options
    Where has the discussion board for "suv's for beach and sand" gone? I was trying to find it, with a search, and finally found the link- only to see the page wasn't found.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Where has the discussion board for "suv's for beach and sand" gone?

Discussions automatically become archived after a period of inactivity. Unfortunately, for the moment, the archives are not accessible and so we can't restore "SUVs for Beach and Sand." We should have them back in the next few weeks so keep checking!

tidester, host
  • Options
    tls8thtls8th Member Posts: 27
    Still looking if anyone has purchased an aftermarket trailer hitch for their B9. Please forward details, what's the deal with the hatch struts is there a service bulletin or recall out? My Subaru shows no info.
    Happy motoring
  • Options
    yoyodkyoyodk Member Posts: 28
    Has anyone installed a front bumper underguard? I was just wondering how difficult it would be to buy one and put it on myself. When I bought my Tribeca, I didn't think that I wanted it, but now that I don't have it and seeing other Tribecas with it makes me want to put one on. Or if someone already has one installed on their vehicle, if they could look and see how it is mounted would be just as helpful.

I'm a little disappointed with the aftermarket parts websites for Subaru vehicles. None that I have visited give you any information about installation. I was looking at the Honda parts websites and there were quite a few with detailed installation information.
  • Options
    Contact your dealer parts department... I was interested in doing this, never got around to it though- anyhow, the detailed instructions come in the box with all parts. There is drilling involved, so make sure you are up to the challenge!

Good Luck,

AKA1
  • Options
    I have one on mine.

It appears to just snap on from the top and the bottom that goes around the lower portion of the bumper is held on with 2 sheet metal screws which I would assume are self tapping.

Looks like a no brainer.
  • Options
    I came back to take a look for a second time at the Tribeca last week, and think it might be the perfect vehicle for me (95% family/road/commute car. 5% off road needed). I've been wallowing between a Touareg (waiting for new '07 V6 engine) or Envoy Denali (older design, but a lot of capability and luxury for the price), or possibly even the new RX350 (until the dealer wanted $46K). In any case, I googled for Reviews of the Subie and happened on this one. You're probably not going to like the review, but I found it humorous. There's no accounting for taste, and perhaps this reviewer happens to like the looks of a Highlander.

in any case- enjoy the review
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/content/11236156021648489006/

or- I'm not sure. Perhaps I'm not allowed to link to other car review sites here? If not, the review can be found on 'the truth about cars' web site. It's pretty funny if you don't take it personally.
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Have you noted the abysmal reliability record of the Touareg (I believe Consumer Reports says worst ever measured.) ??

That nasty review did have one valid comment: The Tribeca is quite heavy for the engine size. It has the same engine as my Outback 3.0R VDC wagon which weighs six hundred pounds less. But if stoplight drag racing is of no interest, it should be quite adequate. ;)
  • Options
    msuvetmsuvet Member Posts: 54
    "One wonders how many mpg's she'd muster if the gearbox didn’t shift into fourth by the time you’ve accepted personal liability for your own stupidity via the touch screen."

He He He!

You have to admit that is kinda funny ;)

Christina
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Interesting that the Tribeca to be sold in the UK, the 7-passenger model will be marketed as a "5+2" and not a "7" passenger.

http://www.b9.eu/en/index_bb.html

Maybe Subaru should have done the same here?

Bob
  • Options
    saedave wrote: "Have you noted the abysmal reliability record of the Touareg (I believe Consumer Reports says worst ever measured.) ?? "

Yes. Especially the first year. The '04's had a lot of problems- many of which were with dealers that didn't know how to fix this brand new vehicle. The reliability has improved quite a bit by '06, but still isn't enviable. It's also a very complicated vehicle. On the flip side, the interior is incredible, the ride is phenominal, and the capabilities of on road/off road are unmatched by anything short of the Range Rover or Cayenne (for a lot more). Another downside is that they're really heavy (like 5300lbs) and get gas mileage consistent with that mass. So- that's why I don't own one already.

I'm still searching for the best new vehicle for myself, but it looks like I won't be buying now until November- so I've got time to look at all the new '07's.
  • Options
    Thanks for both of your replies. I have to pick up my license plates this week so I plan on stopping by the parts department to see if they the part in stock so I can look at the installation instructions. I'll also try to look at a Tribeca on the lot with one already installed. My wife cringes at the thought of me sinking anymore money into this car, so I might have to put one on an hope she doesn't notice. ;)
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Too bad he themes the whole article on the opinion of an 11 year old.

I bet she listens to Three 6 Mafia and likes the lead singer's grille (diamond encrusted teeth). :P

-juice
  • Options
    gnumoongnumoon Member Posts: 1
    OK, I feel pretty silly asking this question. I've looked through ALL the Tribeca manuals, including the Nav manual, and cannot find any information about how to reset the clock on the Nav screen. Nor is it intuitive by poking around through the menus. I know how to turn off the display of the clock, but not how to change it.

This has frustrated me since our switch to daylight savings time a couple weeks ago. If someone can step me through the procedure, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
  • Options
    cdub1cdub1 Member Posts: 3
    That looks like an 07 model. It has the blacked out grill and the radio appears to have the SAT radio button.

A few things to note. The passenger air bag light is missing and so is the blue outline around the vehicle pictogram. A welcome improvement I might add. Also, one of the pics in the gallery shows an alteeza taillight instead of the red. There is also an unusual red light on the reat bumper.
  • Options
    Push the Menu button (either the hard button on the dash or the soft button in the NAV screen).
    Then select the Navigation Set Up button.
    Then select Set Clock.

You can advance the hours either forward or backward. The minutes are set by the GPS satellite and supposedly are not adjustable.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The additional red light on the rear bumper is a mandatory rear fog lamp. All cars in the UK have them. It's a much brighter taillight.

Bob
  • Options
    cacmancacman Member Posts: 40
    When you are viewing the map, the time is there, but not the tempature. Is there a way to have the temp show up? I know you can push the info button and find out the temp, but I would like to see it on the map screen - Also, is there a quick/easy way to cancel a destination once you have started the the route system? By the way - my Beca is 1 month old - we took it on a trip to Williamsburg, VA -I just love the car - kids loved the RES - avg. 23 MPG with 5 passengers and a load of luggage - I am really impressed with this vechicle
  • Options
    quick/easy way to cancel a destination

Once started push the menu button
    touch route options
    touch cancel Navigation
    Touch yes
  • Options
    This was another of many silly over sights by SOA with the B9.

Standard and Savings time should be automatic.

The car has a calender - so all they had to do was write a little algorithm to allow the owner to select automatic DST and let the time change automatically. With Navigation, the car would also know what state and time zone it is in and it could automatically adjust the hour by where you are.
  • Options
    nycb9nycb9 Member Posts: 30
    "This was another of many silly over sights by SOA with the B9. "

Again, not SOA but Kenwood.

The biggest oversight on the B9 IMHO is lack of memory seats in MY06 and NO MASTER INTERIOR LIGHT SWITCH!! What the hell were they thinking?!
  • Options

When you put your name on it it is your product and your mistake.

Very few components used in a Subie or any other car are made by the automaker. They spec the parts they need to suppliers and the supplier delivers what was speced.

So it was SOA that is responsible
  • Options
    cacmancacman Member Posts: 40
    thanks - now what about getting my temp on the map page?
  • Options
    spence66spence66 Member Posts: 39
    It has been a while since i have been on this excellent forum
    My 7 pass is in service today
    I opted out of the Mobil 1 because they said it cost another $50 to get the synthetic oil change
    Does it make a huge difference on gas mileage?
    I am averaging about 16/21

The Subie Rep was in dealership and answered two questions
    #1) The puddle light is not yet an option to add onto 06 tribeca's (but he was looking into it)
    #2) By taking off the Subaru and Tribeca plates from the rear (just have the b9 on there) it would leave big holes
    Didn't someone else do this and didn't have a problem?
    #3) The rear cargo luggage cover for the grey interior is UGLY, does not retract and they have to drill holes to the side in order to manually attach it each time

Lastly the new DVD for all of NAV users is scheduled to be in dealerships by JUNE.

If anyone in East Coast by Connecticut has had success in getting the rear sensors and rear camera installed after market I WOULD BE GRATEFUL these are the items that I could really use

thanks
    ESC :shades:
  • Options

The rep is mis-informed. I and many other have removed the letters. They are held on with adhesives - there are no holes.
  • Options
    No way to display temp on map screen.

Another stupid SOA oversight not Kenwood ;)
  • Options
    cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    the subaru and tribeca lettering is held on by double sided adhesive tape. heat gun and dental floss works great on taking if off in 10 mins

as far as the DVD update disk... any idea on cost? some of the roads are not correct in the Pittsburgh area.

Also what do you mean about the rear cargo cover? are you talking the 2007 cover? or the crap they came out with on the 2006 (a piece of material with bungie straps on the corners.)
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Thanks for the B9 Euro link, Bob. Also saw the Euro version's rear turn signals are AMBER! Hope they carry that over to the US version. I don't care about the color of the lens, but the bulb should blink amber, darnit! :)