Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    schow1schow1 Member Posts: 12
    Yes, at the show. I saw it in the internet. I still like my 07 tribeca front end, but prefer the 08 rear end. Actually it is not that much diff. But I think I will like the additional horsepower and the bigger engine. I live in the mountain, it seems that it has a hard time climbing up the hill.
  • Options
    flgirlaolflgirlaol Member Posts: 51
    Hi,

I'm out of town and can't get back to my home dealership until Monday. This afternoon we started the car and it wouldn't get out of Sport mode and the traction control icon stayed on and the engine light is on. We stopped the and restarted it and it got out of sport mode and into auto but the other lights stayed on. Is it ok to drive for a few days on vacation? Any idea what is going on?

Thanks so much.
    (there should be a board for service issues)
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    A solid light is a warning, a blinking light means you should stop and call a tow truck.

If the lights are not blinking, you should OK to make it back to your dealer.

Sounds like a bad sensor.
  • Options
    Here's the thing, the '06 model was a shocker, and rather stunning. It polarized people - love or hate.

Now here comes along a more conservative redesign. People might consider it "Boring", but after the shock of seeing the 06 debut, almost anything would be.

I think if Subaru had introduced this 08 model from the get-go, or perhaps if Saab had gone ahead with plans for the 9-6x, this would have been considered a handsome crossover, and noone would have called it boring.

So fans of the 06-07 ought to be willing to admit it was a tough act to follow. No other design in the past couple of years has caused such an uproar, both good and bad.

The 08 is intentionally more mainstream. But let's look at it on its own merits - it still has that shoulder character line, and BMW-like concave panels. It has beefy fender flares trimmmed with black cladding for effect. It's tall and handsome.

Yes, compared to the 06 it's pretty "safe", but evaluated on its own it's a handsome, beefy SUV.

I liked the old one, but got tired of defending it. I like this one and won't have to. :shades:
  • Options
    x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    i dont think its that handsome. I think its Hyundai Santa Fe. I see you keep describing it as beefy and i'm not sure that is a good aspect to all plus is that to say the 06 07 is wimpy looking?

as much as i like the 06 07 design better, it just seems like a stab in the back to us early adapters and owners of the first 2 year models. it was bad enough when the 07 had new features and they did nothing for 06 owners. Now i'm questiong paying 300 for 07 interior rear panels to fit the retractable cargo cover at an additional cost and labor.

like i shouldn't be putting anymore money into this model which is no longer being supported. plus even liking the design, seeing 08's on the road with them knowing they have the stronger engine and with you caling it more beefy as if the 06 07 is wimpy looking as well as engine, this doesn't make me want to keep the vehicle much even if i do like the original design better.

like i said its just a shame because it just makes my first time with Subaru even shorter and leaves a bad taste in my mouth s o i wont be so quick to come back them.

in the meantime i have to now decide how long I'm going to keep my 06 because it was purchased not leased and It doesn't make sense financially to get rid of a purchased vehicle this quickly.

but again i dont want to put anymore money into it with any upgrades especially just to get things that the 07 has but wont make sense and i woldn't want to just get an 07 with the weaker engine either. so its quite a dilemna. so as much as i've enjoyed my 06 for the first couple years, it seems now all the 08 will do is have me resent it and my 06.

i know i will get flamed with ppl saying,its your own fault you paid near msrp when the 06 first came out, bought instead of leased (which usually buying is the harder to do but in the end financially smarter way to go if you can), and that vehicles always get new features or are redesigned and you can't have buyers remorse on the old model etc. etc.

so save your breath and spare me. none of that changes the reality for us 07 and especially 06 owners even if we do prefer the original design.

despite all this for now I still enjoy my 06 and am proud of it on the road as it is one of the best looking midsize suvs on the road especially with the way i have it hooked up with 20" black wheels etc.

I really dont see my dealer who ripped me off to begin with or any other giving me any good trade in value or deal on an 07 or 08, and I can't really in a financially sensible way be trading in my 06 B9 for a 40k 07 MDX any time soon either (though that is basicallyw what i paid for the B9 loaded and after extras).

so i dont know what the answer is. maybe i will just get the retractable cargo cover since i have a baby on the way and that will make it easier putting stuff in and out of the cargo area. maybe get new 22" wheels to spice up my B9 and get another couple years out of it, by then maybe something even better then the new MDX will be out. Seems that in the auto game, just as in technology, waiting as long as you can stand is usually the best way to go.

plus, i can't say that if i had waited till now, I might not have just gone with an 07 once seeing the redesign that i dont care for. More likely i would have gone with an 07 MDX at this point and then would have never known the B9. This way at least i still have one of the rarest vehicles on the road and one that there is only 2 model years in existence that look like it.

And in defiancee of the new model will remove the Tribeca lettering yet proudly display the B9 now omitted from the new model. And if i can ever get my B9 supercharged (Cobb or other) then will have last laugh on the this new [non-permissible content removed] incarnation. mwahahaha (ok, maybe i've been watching Rome too much and am overdoing it but I do feel strongly about this change and what it means to the 07 and especially 06 owners)

I dont know if i can embrace the new 08 owners on this thread. They may have to make a newe one as this one is called the B9 Tribeca (B9X) :P
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Dude, welcome to the world of buying a first year model. This is the same sad story anyone who buys the first year has to deal with. Higher prices, less features. I'm sorry if you didn't know that when you bought it.

I guess I should be real bitter, having bought 2 XT6s, and an SVX. Or perhaps all the folks who bought the 98-01 2.5RS should be real upset that they layed the groundwork for the 02+ WRX and didn't have the turbo engine, and never were given an opportunity to have it installed.

As for Cobb, good luck, with the 3.0 in 2 model years of the tribecca, they are not going to put a kit out for it.

With that said I do wish you luck in your future purchases and hopefully you won't be let down if you choose to buy a first year model again!

-mike
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I have to agree with paisan. Same thing could apply for those who bought the bug eyed Impreza's, 2 years later they changed the look.

I guess I should be mad at Subaru as well: my '04 F-XT MT did not come with the premium package as it was only available with the AT. Guess what, the next model year they made it optional. I had an aftermarket moonroof put in instead. Could I have waited another year before I purchased my '04? Sure, but I didn't and oh well.

Don't sweat the small stuff man. You like your B9, enjoy it already.

-Brian
  • Options
    ktpklossktpkloss Member Posts: 28
    from what i understand, what has been done is, they use the same old 3.0 engine, and bored the cylinders little deeper with slightly bigger diameter.... hence the 0.6 liter gain and slight weight loss...

did they do anything else to compensate for thinner block walls? or they just determined that it won't matter for engine's durability?
  • Options
    There are different passages for the coolant I know. I'm not so sure they just bored it out.

-mike
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Was it not both a bore AND stroke increase?
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yes, bore and stroke was used to arrive at 3.6L.

Bob
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Mike -
    Cobb doesn't offer a kit for Tribeca their website, but I bet money would talk. They did build a supercharged (320hp!) Tribeca for '06 SEMA, which was road tested by Motor Trend. Probably cheaper to make an offer on the vehicle they built than to try and get the equipment added to another Tribeca.
    http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0611_2006_cobb_tuning_subaru_- - tribeca
  • Options
    Agreed on that one, make em an offer...

-mike
  • Options
    The Santa Fe is a handsome SUV as well. If you don't like the styling, fine, our opinions differ. But if you're putting it down just because of the Hyundai name then that's pure bias, and that's a shame.

Did you know the Koreans have been hiring Italian design firms? Guigiaro designed the Daeweoo Leganza. It may have been an awful car, but the design was beautiful. It resembled the first Lexus GS the same designer penned, yet the Daewoo actually looked better.

I don't think the 06-07 is "wimpy", but it goes for a sleek and sexy look, more feminine than the new one.

Like I said above, I defended the look quite often. And I still think that with the 08+ models, I won't have to.

Cheers. :shades:
  • Options
    Took a good, long look at the 08 and even sat inside a 5 passenger base model.

They had a 5+2 passenger Limited model but it was up on a rotating stand and we could not get in.

Right away, note the name change. They called the old one the "7 passenger" model, now they use 5+2. More honest, I guess.

Inside, very little changed. In fact the only thing we could find that's different was the lack of that release knob on the seat track. On the 5 pass model the seat now goes all the way back, the full 8". This should help as the old design confused every editor on the planet.

Outside, of course the first thing you notice is the grille and front hood, which is taller.

Charles met up with us (me and Bob Holland), so he noted that the lower cladding goes up a little higher now, and actually covers part of the bottom of each door. That should save a few dings. I wish it went higher still.

I don't like the new rims as much as the old ones. But they're not bad, just didn't need fixing.

I also like the old taillights better. They swept up, like the new WRX, while the new ones sag downward. On the other hand, the bumper looks better, it juts out a bit and they moved the red reflectors out and took care of the slightly awkward transition from bumper to hatch.

There seems to be more front overhang, dunno if the nose is longer, but it's enough that I'm guessing the angle of approach is not as good as before. This plus the rear bumper sticking out more seems to make up the extra length reported.

So some trade-offs were made, for my tastes, but it seems like more good than bad changes. And the big one is the engine, of course.

Note the 08 Outback 2.5i is now rated at an EPA 20/26 mpg, so they've already adjusted those numbers down. The 08 Legacy 2.5i is 20/27 mpg.

I'm going to take a guess here, but given the talked about a 10-15% improvement in fuel economy, the actual numbers should be about the same as they are now, i.e. 18/23, though that will represent an improvement because this is measured using the new methods.

I also predict that 99% of the people on the internet will not understand this and wonder why the mileage went down on all these cars, especially the 08 Tribeca since it comes out before the 08 Highlander and 08 Pilot get down graded as well. :sick:
  • Options
    hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    Thanks for the post.

I liked the original design very much and am sorry to see it go, but much is retained. At least it is not as bad as had originally been suspected. The B9 is still a fine car and now improved in power and other aspects.

I may look for a used '07 as I thought the power and the rest of it were fine - and I especially liked the looks.
  • Options
    I've also been shopping used 06s, but the engine is the killer. It's such a significant upgrade that I think I'd pay more just for that alone.
  • Options
    css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    It was great meeting you and Bob. I had a great time at the show.

Some industry analysts say gas will go up to $4.00 this summer. True or not you can bet it will get above $3.00. Also over the years to come the price per gallon will creep up.

The new 3.6L engine couldn't have come at a better time especially for those who drive more than 10K miles per year.

Charlie
  • Options
    nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    Hi Juice. So you didn't get to know if the release knob on the seat track will be available on the 5+2? Because in the current model, if you want to seat people on the 3rd seat, that middle seat has to be all the way ahead. Just my concern.
  • Options
    The 5+2 keeps the knob. We saw it because one door was open on the model on the turntable (even though we could not get in).

Charles - regular fuel is $2.99 here already. We'll be well over $3 by summer. :sick:
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    My last several tanks of gas have all ranged from $3.19/gal to $3.39/gal here in Sacramento...you can bet that our next car purchase will be more fuel efficient. Even though diesel gas is sometimes more expensive than regular, the increased effiency (and outstanding torque characteristics) make it a worthwhile tradeoff for us. I really want our next car to be another Subaru (I've had an Outback and WRX in the past) but whatever we end up with will certainly be at the top it's class for efficiency.

Brian
  • Options
    I bet the Forester gets it first. I'm not sure their current diesel design is big enough for the 'beca.
  • Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    I saw premium at $3.55/gal here in Sacramento the other day. Luckily I only need to fill up every couple of weeks.
  • Options
    "I've also been shopping used 06s, but the engine is the killer."
    ============================================================
    I have been driving an '82 volvo 240 for a decade now. It probably has a zero to sixty time of a day and a half. So when I test drove the 'Beca I felt like I was in a rocket! No doubt the new engine is stronger. Good luck
  • Options
    I was happy with the output of the old engine, too.

But to get more torque from cheaper fuel (and less of it), is a big improvement.

Gas is creeping up over $3 here. That's regular. Premium is around $3.30. :sick:
  • Options
    Man I gotta take the boat and fill it up before I can't afford it!

At $3.00 I'll be putting in $450 worth of gas!

-mike
  • Options
    Premium Unleaded has hit 3.79 in West LA. I am now using public transportation and getting to love it.
  • Options
    css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    Monday you, Bob, and I were looking at the Pontiac G8 and today GM announced that they are killing their RWD program due to their inability to make them fuel efficient.

Subaru needs to expedite the development of the boxer diesel for the USA. I have a gut feeling we won't see $2.xx again.
  • Options
    Isn't marine gas more expensive than gas you find for cars? I seem to recall my father-in-law used to have to pay much more for gas for his boat than he did for his car.

Bob
  • Options
    It's more expensive if you buy it on the water, because well, they have you at their mercy. Also it's more expensive for them to have super EPA setups so that the gas doesn't leak into the water etc.

The fuel itself is the same stuff. By buying it on land you save a bundle, even though I'm paying road taxes on fuel I put in my boat, and my boat never sees a lick of road! :)

-mike
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    It is often more if you fill up at the marina, but not if you are filling it up on a trailer at your neighborhood gas-n-go.... ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Hahahahaha.... beat me to it. :blush:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Also on older 2-stroke outboards you need to mix oil with the gas as there is no oil in the engines themselves and the fuel brings the lubricant to the engine. The newer 2-strokes have an oil resivoir that pumps oil into the gas mixture as it goes into the engine.

In the inboards and inboard/outboards they are 4-stroke engines so they take straight fuel.

-mike
  • Options
    Saw that, but I think the plan is to have RWD mostly phased out 10 years from now.

I think Lutz is just whining a bit for some sympathy while the law makers decide what the new targets should be.

Remember the CARB electric car mandates? Wasn't every manufacturer supposed to be selling 2% of its fleet in pure electric format? Never happened.
  • Options
    Yeah, he had an twin-engine International marine V8 inboard cabin cruiser, which was always in the water. So he got his gas at a marina. He kept it at a marina in Port Washington, on Long Island Sound—not exactly a cheap area for gas or anything else, for that matter.

Bob
  • Options
    AWD may be even harder.

I'm firmly in the AWD camp, but I found this ad from 1982, check it out, they actually boast about FWD traction being standard and tease the johnny-come-latelys.

I didn't recall Subaru taking this angle in the past.

If they ever do go back to FWD, they could point to this heritage ad.
  • Options
    You know what's even funnier than that? I saw that ad in PENTHOUSE! Seriously one of the guys brought their old collection down to the shop and I was reading the articles and low and behold, there is a Subaru ad in there! I was quite suprised!

-mike
  • Options
    I was reading the articles

Sure, mike! That's what they all say! :D
  • Options
    Wasn't Subaru the first Japanese manufacturer to bring FWD passenger cars to the US?

Nice ad, but wordy! Subarus always need a big explanation to accompany them. :) Nice MPG in that ad.
  • Options
    Yes.

Keep in mind that was unadjusted MPG, I think the EPA numbers went down 11-22% depending upon the cycle.

They will go down again for MY2008, but this time the EPA is revising the test rather than simply reducing the number by a certain percentage.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    If they ever do go back to FWD, they could point to this heritage ad.

But but but what about the DNA??? :)

All you Subanistas harp about AWD and now you just might accept FWD if they point to the heritage??

Running and Ducking.

Oh and they were a little late to the party - GM was selling FWD in the US in the mid 60's.
  • Options
    Subaru was the first to do mass-production FWD in Japan with the "1000" model in '65 or'66 (Subaru website has conflicting dates), so they were right there with GM, development-wise. Not sure what year that Subaru model was first exported to the US.

FWIW, I'd only consider a very small FWD Subaru, like the R1 or R2. I'd still prefer to buy one in AWD, however. I can see them offering it as an option on the minicars, though, as they do in Japan.
  • Options
    Does anyone remember the early Saab's from the '50's and '60s? I believe all Saab has ever made is FWD and they have stated that somewhere in their ad history.

Also Citroen and Peugeot come into play somewhere along the line in FWD.
  • Options
    I believe that Subaru was the First JAPANESE company to offer FWD in the US.

Which would allow for GM's FWD Oldsmobiles and Caddys and Saab's FWD cars as well.

-mike
  • Options
    Well, if you're talking about "early FWD," it tough to top the Cord.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z7428/Cord_L-29%20Phaeton/default.aspx

Bob
  • Options
    I'm among those that have defended AWD as part of their DNA, so that was a tough pill to swallow. :sick:
  • Options
    Actually Subaru didn't have AWD until about 1985 or 1986 and if someone can guess the first Subaru with AWD I'll give them a special prize!

-mike
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Was it the GL? I had a friend in college with an 83/84 GL with AWD.
  • Options
    Nope the GL never had AWD, 4WD yes, but not AWD.

-mike
  • Options
    Was it the Subaru XT? :confuse: