Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic Hybrid Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    ca_trojanboyca_trojanboy Member Posts: 4
    I only have had only one recall so far (which is the reprogram or ECM), but it has a pending problem, not sure if it will be recall or just something I need to fix.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    fremming,

You can research official recalls of any vehicle here at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

As you will see, there have been NO RECALLS of any Honda Civic sedan since the 2002 model. At that time 295 vehicles were recalled due to a minor piece of plastic in the air cleaner box and 440,000 were recalled due to a headlight switch concern.

There have been absolutely NO recalls having to do with hybrid systems. Obviously, whomever told you about 102 recalls had no idea of what they were talking about.
  • Options
    Ok, just read all the previous postings.

To clarify, from the problem I have (in posting #264), my 2003 HCH is automatic, and it's 2003, not 2004. Sorry.

I have always taken the car to the same Honda dealership for routine maintenance (following the "NORMAL" maintenance schedule in the owner's manual). I don't actually know if I should call this a slip, but more a low frequency (deep sound) "ggggrrrrrrruumm" noise under my seat or shift gear. Again, only happens when re-accelerate after a complete stop. And after the "ggggrrrrrruum" noise for about 1/2 to 1 second, it will never happen again until I re-accelerate AFTER a complete stop again. Doesn't matter if the "idle" feature comes on or not. If I go VERY easy on the initial acceleration, the "ggggrrrrrrum" noise is not as pronounce, but seem to last longer (~1 or 1.5 seconds). The harder I press the re-acceleration, the heavier, louder AND SHORTER the noise is (~ 0.5 second).

Very strange... Well, after reading all the previous posting, I actually change my mind. Instead of taking it to AMMCO and MAIDAS, I am going to try to dealership again, this time... EGR valve, like some of you suggested. Will see.

ca_trojanboy (Go SC!)
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    ca_trojanboy,

Have you checked the rest of your exhaust system for pinholes, larger holes or loose fittings that can cause vibrations and noises?
  • Options
    dselldsell Member Posts: 18
    Why wouldnt the Honda dealer want to replace the tranny fluid? It's required maintenance every 30k miles. Unless I am misunderstanding "flushing" with "replacing"??

BTW: Got the recall maintenance done on the ECU. It did change how the IMA behaves when engine braking down a hill... the charge gauge goes all the way up and does it more smoothly than before. Before the ECU update the gauge wouldnt go all the way up (minus 2-3 bars) until I tapped the brakes. It seems to ease into the electric motor engine braking a lot more smoothly without the annoying sudden decelleration.

Also, that annoying "lurching" at 3K RPM is gone as well.

So far so good. 35,400 miles and rapidly approaching end of warranty. Oh joy.
  • Options
    Hi,

I gave in and did the Transmission Fluid flush, at the Honda Dealership. The techician replaced the tranny fluid and burnished start clutch, then redrained and filled it with new fluid again. The shudder nose at initial acceleration has been fixed for now. Just did this today. If it comes back, I will make a post here again. But it's fixed now.

I remember having a major tune up at 50k. The problem was at 67k. Oh well. Costed $100 to flush the tranny. I have never had any other problem so I am still happy about my Hybrid. Plus, I should be getting my single occupancy carpool lane sticker in two weeks (in California). Can't wait.

:):D
  • Options
    bc03bc03 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem and dealer did the same thing, transmission fluid flush and burnished start clutch. Two days later, it happened again and is going to bring it back to the dealer again. I have a 2003 hybrid with 33K and my warranty is running out.
  • Options
    markdelmarkdel Member Posts: 56
    Hi,
    I am just reading through the posts one at a time and do not know if someone else has answered your post, but here goes: there is NOT 102 RECALLS on the HCH or anywhere near there. On the 2005 HCH there is a grand total of 5 and one of those great big problems was someone bitching that the rear turn indicators were changed to red instead of yellow.... When you do YOUR research start here http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm :D

Mark
  • Options
    kmh3kmh3 Member Posts: 35
    Anyone consider putting 5-20 (synthetic) oil in their HCH to improve engine life?
    The 0-20 seems a bit extreme to me.

Seems like it would make sense, especially in warmer climates or in the summer.
    All you would lose is a bit of mpg when your engine is warming up.
  • Options
    mikaelmikael Member Posts: 1
    Hello folks,

I just bought an '04. It runs beautifully, but as I was investigating the setting of the odometer and related displays, I turned off the Fuel Milage Display. I'd like to turn it back on again, but it just doesn't happen. When I turned it off, it took a few attemps... Nothing else is wrong; I can reset the A and B Trip displays very easily and flip between the displays. I know you're supposed to press the button for 10-15 seconds, but I do that and nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Mikael
  • Options
    markdelmarkdel Member Posts: 56
    Just guessing, my owner's manual is out in the car, try pressing and holding the odometer button and then turning the ignition on... it seems it was something like that.
  • Options
    davidpcdavidpc Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 HCH is having this same problem. After the problem came back following the transmission fluid change, have you been able to get it fixed? What did the dealer do next?
  • Options
    thomasfarleythomasfarley Member Posts: 2
    Get your Honda up on ramps and check all of the exhaust heat shields.

I had this problem w/ a old Civic HB and a newer Civic 4d the shield are made of aluminum and they attach them w/ steel bolts the different metals cause corrosion (there is scientific term for the problem but I cannot remember it right now.) and if one of the attachment points breaks the heat shield rattles.

I just had the local oil change place remove the H/S no more noise......
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Yep. Essentially the two different metals create a "batttery", much like touching a fork to a silver filling in a tooth and getting that little electrical ZING!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    bc03bc03 Member Posts: 2
    The dealer replace the Exhaust Gas Recirculation(EGR) Valve. It was open and the problem is covered by the emission control system warranty. So far, it is running fine. :)image">
  • Options
    motherwearymotherweary Member Posts: 38
    The EGR valve appears to be the villain in a number of these stories. I hope Honda has fixed it on the newer models.
  • Options
    rr3061rr3061 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 05 Honda Civic Hybrid. I have been reading some comments about the lack of fuel milage at the beginning. So far with 500 miles on it I have averaged 38 and 36 mpg. I drive it like an old granny and take as long as necessary to build up speed. Florida is primarily flat so not mountainous roads to worry about. I drive about 36 miles a day with 18 being highway speeds of about 58 and city about the other 18 with speeds of 40 to 50. I am cautiously concerned and hoping that I at least get 45 mpg at some point. I drive as much as possible with the econo on so it saves gas on stops. Can anyone tell me if this mpg is right for a new Honda Hybrid!
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the World of Hybrids !!

As far as what to expect, you can expect this FOR SURE: if you are willing to play the game with the available instruments and tools, your MPG will definitely get better !!

My current lifetime MPG is 48.2 for my 2004 HCH, but my first tank was only 38.4 MPG.

Here are some basic tips for you: ( please just balance all these tips with common sense and drive with the flow of traffic when safety requires it - keep Bubba SUV off your tailgate !! )

Getting max MPG from a Hybrid takes a "re-learning" process in your driving style, for most people. You can't "just get in and drive" and expect EPA numbers or higher. But with a little re-training of yourself, you CAN do just that.

Everyone's MPGs starts out low till they get the hang of it. There are a million gas savings tips here just search around.

If you have nice, generally flat roads, use cruise control every chance you get, because it can balance speed more expertly than even the most trained foot.

In the city I accelerate very slowly, and if I'm alone in the car and nobody is behind me I accelerate as slowly as is reasonable.

I'll pop it into neutral and coast to the red light 3 to 4 blocks ahead - usually it turns green before I get to it.

Leave plenty of space in front of your car when traffic allows it. If someone pulls in front, remain safely back. You can reasonable expect your brakes to last 100K if you take it easy like this.

Pretend you have no brakes as you drive and that will help too.

The MPG you get will be limited by the changes you make to your driving style.

Coast, Coast, Coast. I have a manual tranny, so it is Oh So very easy for me to just pop the tranny into neutral when I have some speed built up and see that I have an open space in front of me an no one behind me to slow down. I usually coast in neutral when I need to keep my speed up because the car rolls much better out of gear. If I need to boost the battery or if I know I am going to be coasting only for a block or so, I leave it in gear to get the charge boost, because the charge increases when you coast in gear.

If you can drive as slow as 30 mph, do so and put on the cruise. In my manual tranny, I put it in fourth gear at 30 mph instead of 5th and it gets better mileage on the real-time meter. If I get up to 36 mph, I put it in 5th gear. Both 30 mph in 4th and 36-42 mph in 5th are the best for high MPG readings on the real-time meter. Yesterday in only a span of less than two miles at 30 mph I saw the real-time meter stay mostly 65-85 mpg on a flat road. I am always careful to avoid slowing anyone down who is zooming up behind me. I usually have three lanes to choose from so thus far I have avoided any Road Rage incidents !!

At your first oil change (I would do it around 5000) change to synthetic oil if you can. It allows for less friction in the engine and in THEORY you can get a 1-3 mpg boost from the added efficiency of the reduced friction. In a 1997 Suburban, I went from 17 mpg to 19 mpg just from the oil change alone.

Drive like there is an egg between your foot and the gas pedal and never accellerate harshly unless it is required for safety purposes.

Learn how to use Auto-Stop and milk it for every stop it's got !! It's easier in the manual tranny, because I can stop behind someone and take it out of gear and if I have to creep up a car length or so, the Auto Stop will kick in again after I creep up when I put it back in neutral. I don't know how the CVT handles that sort of thing. If all else fails and Auto Stop fails to engage if you have to creep up, TURN OFF THE IGNITION while you wait for the light to finish. These cars do not have traditional starters, they are started by a "starter generator" powered by the electric battery system, so it's OK to start it a few extra times a month in the effort to save fuel and reduce idling emissions, right? Right.

Avoid A/C usage when you can, as it KILLS the MPG. I had a tank at the end of the summer and I was at 650 miles and 55.6 MPG because I managed to avoid the A/C the whole time on that tank.

Keep your windows rolled UP when you can to avoid extra wind drag.

Try at all costs to avoid getting into a situation where you must drive faster than 60-65 MPH. These speeds will MURDER your MPG.

To improve mileage, you may want to run your tires at 40 PSI or higher when cold. This is a philosophy which is hotly debated around the web, so do your research before this tweak - there are pluses and minuses for this modification.

The combination of your car breaking in and your driving education will lead to increased MPG and fewer stops at the gas pump FOR CERTAIN !!! :D:D
  • Options
    collectiblebcollectibleb Member Posts: 13
    My 2004 Honda also lurched, it lurched thru a window, on the freeway with other drivers driving it and Honda is not taking responsibility for it. I talked to a dealer and he told me he had another guy who was frust4rated by Honda would do nothing for him. I have given my honda back (Hybrid) and told them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine and am buying another car, it certainly won't be a Honda Hybrid. There are many problems with it and I have met a few of those who have had these problems. Honda, however, doesn't want to own up to it and hides behind the big Honda sign. The "worker bee" at Honda told me his hands were tide in both my and the other person's car, as Honda refused to do a thing about it. I refuse to drive my car and have given it back to Honda. I will never deal with Honda again.
  • Options
    collectiblebcollectibleb Member Posts: 13
    I have found the seats, on long trips, to be very uncomfortable in the Honda Hybrid. I did NOT find this problem with my regular Honda Civic. Barb
  • Options
    cablackcablack Member Posts: 45
    "I have found the seats, on long trips, to be very uncomfortable in the Honda Hybrid. I did NOT find this problem with my regular Honda Civic. Barb"

Barb - They are the same seats. Honda does not have special 'hybrid' seats.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Barb - They are the same seats. Honda does not have special 'hybrid' seats."

Her ICE Civic might be a different model year...
  • Options
    "Her ICE Civic might be a different model year... "

Obviously. But it makes no difference. There is no such thing as a Honda Civic Hybrid seat -- they are the same for all Honda Civic models for that year.

If she is going to complain then about those horrible Civic Hybrid seats, then how about complaining about:

- those horrible Honda Civic Hybrid headlights
    - that horrible Honda Civic Hybrid glove compartment
    - those horrible Honda Civic Hybrid windshield wipers
    - that horrible Honda Civic rear legroom
    - etc. etc. etc.

On the other hand, here are some ideas about what she could validly complain about:

- trunk space
    - dashboard with all those silly lights and "IMA" stuff
    - antennae on the roof
    - smaller wheels than the EX
    - etc. etc. etc.

Those things are different on the Hybrid, and are candidates for discussion.
  • Options
    "Obviously. But it makes no difference"

Sorry, that sounded kind of snarly. What I should have said was, "Yes, I thought of that. But it makes no difference..."

Sorry about that.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Sorry, that sounded kind of snarly. What I should have said was, "Yes, I thought of that. But it makes no difference..."

I think it does make a difference. She may have meant that the seats on a Civic she owns were more comfortable than the hybrid seats. If the seat design changed from the model year of her Civic to the model year of her HCH, the comment is completely understandable.

Or, maybe is is just a perception issue, difficult to say. Also, anyone know if there are any differences in the suspension of the HCH vs the normal ICE Civic. That may come into play here.
  • Options
    "She may have meant that the seats on a Civic she owns were more comfortable than the hybrid seats."

I have no doubt that's what she meant. That's not the point at all. The point is that this is not an issue related to the Honda Civic Hybrid. It is a point about the Honda Civic model styles for years 2002-2005. You might as well say: "I hate my Honda Civic Hybrid. The hybrid's vanity mirrors are no good. And the hybrid's glove compartment is too cramped. And why do the power windows on the hybrid work opposite from my Toyota?"

The last time I checked, the topic of this thread was related to "Problems and Solutions" concerning the Honda Civic Hybrid. Not non-hybrid, regular Honda Civic issues.

Yeesh. I think I now remember why I don't usually participate here.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Before you get off into "was she on topic?" it's pretty simple. She was. She simply said:
    "I have found the seats, on long trips, to be very uncomfortable in the Honda Hybrid."
    That sure sounds like she got uncomfortable in a hybrid to me.
    She then remarked that she"did NOT find this problem" in her regular Civic.
    I take that to mean that she also owns a regular Civic and was bring that up for comparison purposes

She stated an opinion about the Civic hybrid seat comfort. Perfectly on topic.

The reaction to this is baffling.
  • Options
    rileyyhrileyyh Member Posts: 49
    For those of you who may not know:

I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid. My friend has a 2004 Civic Hybrid. We have different seats. Mine is more traditional, less bolstered and rounded at the edges. His has a sharper, tighter fit which holds you better but could be uncomfortable for some.

Even the headrests are different. My Hybrid has square holes in the headrest (which I don't find comfortable), and my friend has those solid headrests. His also has headrests in the back seats while mine don't (the rear seats curve up a bit where the headrests would be).

riley
  • Options
    questionhondaquestionhonda Member Posts: 1
    It is now over 5 weeks and there is National back order of part needed to repair.
    Currently Hybird is operating mainly only as a gasoline engine motor without the assist of the battery for the IMA system.

The local service and National Honda Rep. indicated it could be due to customs problem, also mentioned a problem programing the computer and then have mentioned maybe redesign or refining the design of the part needed.

Have been told it is ok to still drive the car.

Other interesting thing is that no service order was written up.

Can not believe it takes 5 weeks and counting to get a part and repair. I wonder whether I should try going to media press or tv.
  • Options
    And "going to media press or tv" would accomplish WHAT, exactly?

Are you trying to blame "hybrid technology" for your one isolated problem?

Sounds like that lady who drove her HCH through a 7-11 window and is trying to discredit the technology instead of saying to herself "I could have just turned off the ignition and this whole thing would not have happened."

If you have a Honda dealer who is having problems getting a particular replacement part, then you are certainly free to try other dealerships. You are also free to contact Honda Corporate and get someone working on the problem for you. You are also free to use your insurance to help pay for leasing another car while you wait on the repair.

Nothing about your problem would indicate that it is anything other than an unfortunate incident, and not indicative as a "defect" of any sort in the Civic Hybrid technology.
  • Options
    sunnycowtownsunnycowtown Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the helpful hints. I have had my 2005 HCH now for 4 days and am totally diggin' it! The dealership instructed me to hold off on using the cruise control for the first 600 miles. Thanks to your advice I am able to keep the MPG on the freeway at around 43 MPG currently. I do have to use the A/C here in Northern CA, it is too hot not to. All in all I am very pleased with the vehicle and have no regrets with my purchase. I had purchased a Honda Civic back in 91 and kept it for 11 years with no problems. I was able to sell that vehicle for around $4000.00 which amazed me!
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    no service order was written up

Welcome to the forum. I think it may be premature to shout your problem to the media quite yet. I do agree that 5 weeks is a long time to get a part. I would get them to open a service request that identifies the problem and an approximate time to get it repaired. If this is the dealer you bought the car from they should take care of your warranty issues. With gas topping 3 bucks a gallon I would be unhappy if I had a car that would not live up to the expectations of mileage because the dealer cannot get parts. I guess nothing has changed since the 1970s. I had problems getting warranty parts for my 1978 Honda Accord. My advice document, document, document!
  • Options
    jujudeejujudee Member Posts: 7
    Is my car acting up, or is the alarm on the 2004 HCH just quirky? I just bought it a month ago, used with 16K miles. If I unlock the doors with the key instead of the remote, the alarm goes off. I could get used to that.. but there are other things. I can't pinpoint exactly when it is happening, but the alarm went off the other day while I was in the car. I had turned off the car at a very long light because I screwed up the auto-stop. my doors unlocked, so i locked them again. When I started the car, the alarm starts going off and I'm driving and pressing the remote did not turn it off. I had to pull the car over, stop the car, turn off the alarm, then start up again.

Also twice I've turned off the alarm with remote, locked the doors, started the car (I think in that order), then a block down the road the blue light is flashing and the alarm is periodically doing these 5 quiet beeps in a row. I have to stop the car, turn it off, and restart it.

normal? I am admittedly inexperienced with car alarms, so it could be me. But how sensitive and quirky this seems!

(I love the car though, my first tank I got 37.4mpg and from what I've read, I'll get better as I learn more how to drive it)
  • Options
    This is all normal behavior for the OEM alarm system.

Same thing happens to me. If you lock the car with the keyfob, you must UNLOCK the car with the keyfob. If you lock it with the key, you must unlock it with the key.

Locking the doors with the autolock button inside the car is the same as locking the key with the keyfob OR with the key outside the car - it turns the alarm ON.

I'm not sure how you can LOCK the car doors while driving it WITHOUT engaging the alarm - does anyone with more experience with Civic alarms know the answer to that?
  • Options
    jujudeejujudee Member Posts: 7
    Thanks. So when I locked the doors, I turned on the alarm. And then started the car again with alarm on, and that's what set it off.

I just experimented with this. If you lock the door before you start the car, you are setting the alarm. The doors lock automatically when the car starts, so usually you wouldn't do this. But since they unlock automatically when the car is off, if you are sitting in your car anywhere with the car OFF, and you lock the doors with the auto-lock button, you set the alarm. So if you start the car after that, the alarm is on and it makes the 5 beeps while driving. Or if I stop the car and open the door to get out, the alarm goes off loudly. The remote will not turn off the alarm when the key is in the ignition, only way to disengage the alarm is by taking the key OUT of the ignition.

It's definitely quirky, I can't say I like this part, but luckily something that does not come up too often (the need to sit in a locked car that is not running). Just have to know to turn off the alarm with the remote before starting back up the car. Quirky.
  • Options
    off2cdwzrdoff2cdwzrd Member Posts: 2
    Thank you, Everyone! I have an '03 HCH with 53,000 miles. Over the last year, I experienced the sensation of "slipping" when accelerating quickly from 55-70 mph at 2k-3k rpms. Then last week, I started experiencing the lurching many have described when pulling out gently from a stop, or in stop-and-go traffic. Before going to the dealer, I hit the internet, discovered this site and found all your helpful suggestions about flushing the CVT fluid, fixing the EGR valve and info about the ECM recall letter. Armed with your posts, I went to my dealer.

The computer diagnostic showed the EGR valve was bad. A visual inspection of the CVT fluid showed it was indeed dirty and although I had not received the letter, my car did need the ECM upgrade. All work was done, most under warranty, which also paid for my 2 days of rental car.

Knowledge is power. Thank you for sharing yours. :-)
  • Options
    off2cdwzrdoff2cdwzrd Member Posts: 2
    I just got my HOV lane stickers from the DMV and boy are they UGLY!!! They are big and orange and there are four of them, one for each side of the car.

Why do I feel as though HCH drivers are being punished for having a car that does not look obviously hybrid? (I know that's not true, lol, Prius drivers have to use the same ugly stickers even though Priuses are visibly recognizable!)

Has anyone actually stuck those ugly things on their car yet?!!
  • Options
    richardsonrichardson Member Posts: 92
    Can you tell me what the intinials HOV actually stand for? Thanks. Jim
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    High Occupancy Vehicle
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Larsb said

"Same thing happens to me. If you lock the car with the keyfob, you must UNLOCK the car with the keyfob. If you lock it with the key, you must unlock it with the key."

Are you sure it isn't just a little different from what you have stated. Actually my experience is : "If you lock car with either the key, door lock button or key fob, it arms( activates) the car alarm. In order to disarm ( unactivate, deactivate) an active car alarm you must either use the key fob or the car key."

Lock-on,

MidCow
  • Options
    hotrodcurthotrodcurt Member Posts: 1
    Last week my wife and I test drove an 05 HCH. We went back a couple days later to make a deal on the car but it and the other two on the lot had sold. They had a used 04 HCH on the lot so we drive it to compare the two for driveability. The 04 had only 18k miles but had a very high pitched whine in the drivetrain. She knoticed it first because at my age I am a little hard of hearing.
    It was shrill and pronounced. We would not consider buying that car because of the whine.
  • Options
    supdawgiesupdawgie Member Posts: 3
    Most Hondas (non hybrid) I am familiar with do NOT have a stop gate between D4 and D3 (and you are right this is unusual compared to other car companies). So - the hybrid won't have one between D and S. Apparently the Honda engineers like it that way.
    the a/c runs to take moisture out of the air and lower the humidity inside the car so the defroster will work better. if you don't want the a/c to run - just make sure the heater is set on "fresh air" (as opposed to recirc) - the normal floor setting and turn the heat up and fan high. usually there is some hot air bleed to the windshield which may be enough to clear it w/o running the a/c. The fresh air coming in helps blow out the humidity (your breath, coffee steam etc.) and will keep the windshield clean - hopefully. If you must keep the system on re-circ for allergy or pollution reasons - then resign yourself to running the a/c to reject the humidity.
  • Options
    supdawgiesupdawgie Member Posts: 3
    5-20 vs 0-20 probably doesn't make much difference. the "20" is the effective viscosity at normal operating temperature. the "0" is the "winter" (0W) rating and the lower the better. Especially for a hybrid engine that shuts down at idle and then gets spun up quickly when restarted. you want a very fluid oil in that circumstance. i would stick to the recommended 0W-20. it is probably highly synthetic - anything at 0W usually must be - because it is literally "off the chart" of the SAE grade designations. SAE grades were developed for a hundred years to fit conventional petroleum oils. the grades are not very applicable to synthetics. the oil companies use the grades on synthetics because people are used to seeing them even though they may not precisely describe how a synthetic oil behaves.
  • Options
    kadalystkadalyst Member Posts: 1
    I NEED HELP!!! Does anyone know the electrical system on a 03' civic hybrid?
    i let a friend TRY to connect the stereo and clipped some wires and then connected them back, but my keeyless entry doesnt work, IMA light is on, i wanna cry... please help..
  • Options
    bwatersbwaters Member Posts: 52
    I've been posting in the Mazda5 forums for a while but since our new Mazda5 is in recall limbo, I thought I'd check out the Civic Hybrid forum on lunch break. This is my first visit to the Hybrid forum(s).

My 2003 manual Hybrid has averaged 39.7 mpg on Trip B. I have not reset trip B since a week after purchasing it,so if accurate, that is 40 mpg over 35+k. I think this is great! Most of my driving, over 50% of the mileage, has been in city. I'd say I drive a little faster and more aggressively than the average driver. When my wife takes the car for extended periods I notice a jump in average mpg on Trip A to around 43 mph. When I drive exclusively in city it averages around 37 mpg.
    I'm really satisfied other than the minor inconvenience from the recall and a rattle or two here and there. I've had the catalytic converter and a front strut replaced under warranty.
  • Options
    jamyrnajamyrna Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Civic Hybrid that has been giving me some off problems and I was wondering if anyone else was having these types of problems. Initially the car was ideal, then about 6 months ago when I was on the highway the check engine light, IMA light and Battery light went on and the electric system shut down. I was able to limp it to the Honda dealer, with the lights dimming whenever I was at a stop light. a little after six weeks later it was out of the shop with the diagnosis being a power surge blowing out the computer and a variety of sensors along the way. After that the car ran fine until a month ago when I noticed a rattle near the front right wheel when I made left turns around 20 mph. I took it in and they could not duplicate it, I took the manager for a drive and duplicated it for him. He took it back and checked it out and found a problem with the front axle. I waited a week for the part and when they installed it I took it out and still had the rattle. I took it back and they held on to it for three days trying to diagnose the sound. They claimed they had Honda Corporate on the line and the final solution that I was given from the service dept was that the car was "mechanically sound" and that I would hear the rattle "in extreme conditions", but it would be dampened because they installed foam in the fender. They also stated they had replaced the suspension on that corner of the car when they were working on it. Sure enough the sound was still there but it was quieter, that is until I filled the air with tires. I noticed they were a little low and my mileage had dropped, so when I filled the air the the recommended settings the sound came back as loud as ever. Has anyone else had issues like this?
  • Options
    mistermemisterme Member Posts: 407
    The first week I brought my new '04 home it sounded like someone put some marbles in a a shoebox and was shaking it under the Right side of the dash, over by the airbag.
    My wife found that she could reach underneath somewhere and stop it.

We took it to the dealer and they removed the top panel and installed some sticky foam.
    That worked for a while.

Then the passenger side door began rattling. I could push on the interior panel and get it to stop. The dealer put some padding on the internal rods (etc) but it didn't do any good.
    I gave them a 2nd chance on the passenger door and now the center pillar rattles at times along with the door.

Then the rattle next to the air bag began again.
    I took it to the dealer again and they put in more sticky foam.
    As soon as I got it back the Left side began to rattle.

At that point, every time I brought it in for a rattle I'd leave with two.

The various rattles in my car is not really that loud and rarely happen simutaniously, but the car is so quiet otherwise it's just a pet peeve at this point.
  • Options
    motherwearymotherweary Member Posts: 38
    The dashboard took to rattling on my '03 about six months after I got it. I cured the rattle by sticking a wood chip between the right front windshield pillar and the dashboard. Recently I've noticed a new rattle, but haven't tracked it down yet.

I suspect that this is something that's true of all Civics, not just Hybrids. Does anybody know?
  • Options
    bedcheckerbedchecker Member Posts: 3
    Okay, guys, Just so you all know. Honda Civic Hybrids have and will continue to suddenly accelerate. I know, mine did. I am not a "professional" driver, but I drive in the course of my job and have for the last 30 years. I drove emergency vehicles and taught emergency vehicle operations. I know how to drive very well and jet I was a victim of sudden acceleration. I do not doubt anyone when they say they had their foot on the brake pedal. I know I did. I jammed my foot on the brake, the engine continued to surge, I put the vehicle in park, it still was trying to go forward. I finally shut the engine off and that stopped the acceleration. Anyone else who had a problem is welcome to contact me directly or indirectly. Thanks for reading.
This discussion has been closed.