Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L Styling Impressions

Comments

• Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    You two guys may be the only people watching that non-event tonight.
  • Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Except that it's audio only.

Need I remind the good dynamic DAD that his shiny new LS600hL will have a nice 9" video monitor? :D

Now, back to the game.(non-event? Yikes! I'll get even with ya! ;) )

TagMan
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I'm watching it....
  • Options
    Oh boy, it's the "Lexus" half-time show. ;)
  • Options
    I KNOW!!!!!
  • Options
    :sick:
  • Options
    oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    It's MNF on ESPN . . . Your San Diego Chargers vs. my S.F./Oakland Bay Area's Oakland Raiders.

The freeways up here have been jammed since this morning in anticipation of the whooping that the Raiders are going to give the Chargers...

You know what, Tag... I flew out of San Diego this morning (7:30am) to SF via Oakland (took the AirBART from Oakland Airport to SFO). I am here in your neck of the woods attending the ACS meeting at the Moscone Center. After all day at the conference, dinner and SciMix (beer and stuff), I just got into my hotel to read this from you. So I checked the scores online, and lo-n-behold, there was a lotta whooping going on alright... that of the hapless, rudderless, ugly silver-n-black... :sick: :sick: oopppsss... sorry, Tag. You need a real O-line, a real QB, and some DBs. You made Rivers, a "rookie" QB look like Joe Montana ;)

Maybe next time in our home field... Not a chance. Its now 6-in-a-row loss for your Raiders against my Lightning Bolts ! We own you guys.... Shawn Merriman was d-man on D... or as Martinez would say: "who's your daddy now ?" :)
  • Options
    oac - I can say only one thing . . . the truth is what it is . . . you are absolutely right.

The Raiders got clocked. Totally unworthy of MNF.

Actually I'm more of an A's basball fan . . . and so far that is paying off. Took the family to a night game last week. Lots of fun. My 7-year old son was in heaven!

BTW, hope you've enjoyed the Bay Area! :)

TagMan
  • Options
    mikeivanmikeivan Member Posts: 42
    I am registered for the Houston Taste of Lexus on October 28, seems to be lots of openings. My dealer has "over 200" on the 460 waiting list. My salesman does not have prices yet but says they "will be higher". Current best estimate is "$65000, $75000 and $85000 for the 460, 460L and 600Lh." I don't know if this is accurate or not but thought it worth passing on. I can't wait to drive and compare it with the BMW and MB.
  • Options
    Maybe it's just me, but when the Lexus first debuted, it obviously resembled a Mercedes W-140, the S class. That has been refined over the last 4 interations of the car. The 07 however, resembles the BMW 7 series to me. So does the GS 430. Very Bangle esque, IMO. Not that it's a bad thing, but Toyota is the master of emulation in subtle ways - is the aspiration for Lexus now BMW instead of Benz, and if so, is the 07 LS460 therefore saying that BMW is now the Standard of the World??? :shades:
  • Options
    Have you seen an LS460 up close? The BMW resemblance that exists in certain pix because of the taillights quickly disappears. This car is so well seamed together vs the jigsaw puzzles BMW is minting these days. The LS is a beautiful car and quite massive when you see it in the paint.
  • Options
    For quite a while now, since the very first info leaked out about the new LS, I posted about BMW becoming the newest target for Lexus. Not as a replacement for the Mercedes target, but as an expanded horizon. I've discussed it on this forum, but mostly on the HELM forum at length. For a while I was the lone voice on this.

At this point, the poster blkhemi particularly agrees with me on this perspective, and others seem to be coming aboard.

Yes, it is now becoming more obvious that Lexus snipers have BMW in the crosshairs. There will be even more evidence to come (such as IS500) beyond the already-obvious Bangle design of the new models.

The question is the level of impact. Unlike some others, I believe that it will have increasingly significant impact on BMW over time, especially as Lexus performance improves.

Bottom line, IMO, Lexus will increasingly grab market share from BMW, and that's what counts.

TagMan
  • Options
    Tag - don't think there's any question about it, particularly with the IS and GS. But I don't know about the LS. I can see it slightly but it looks more like an apparition than reality. With that said I am told that the sport suspension LS is one heck of a car by someone who drove one in Japan, exceptional handling and virtually no ride quality loss, and it's starting to garner my interest. I just hate replacing tires every 15K miles though. Right now first choice is still the hybrid but I just see that car being incredibly hot and hard to get given the low production quota.
  • Options
    Right now first choice is still the hybrid but I just see that car being incredibly hot and hard to get given the low production quota.

You and I have been in 100% agreement on this since the very beginning!

The LS600hL will set a new standard and be an exclusive vehicle, IMO.

TagMan
  • Options
    excelsior88excelsior88 Member Posts: 71
    Supposedly to come out this Friday, September 15!
  • Options
    nexuslexusnexuslexus Member Posts: 147
    source?
  • Options
    ClubLexus forums, check them out, the LS forum already has advance speculation of the pricing from Lexus sources.

And besides, note the flurry of press releases Lexus is putting out this week? GS 350 pricing was the other day...
  • Options
    I will look tommorow and see. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    lexnhlexnh Member Posts: 2
    Have a look at this LS460 video - probably shot in Austria.

The night shots are really neat. ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-YiPldCSQM

Any reason that Lexus would choose Austria for these early showing

lexnh
  • Options
    The rumor mill from Japan's Car Mag suggests an L600 with a 6.0L V12 coming in '08. Anyone else heard such rumor ? Or any truth to this rumor ?
  • Options
    OAC - V12 hybrid supercar priced at $140-150K is what I thought. I thought the name was L650 but I could be wrong. Stretched LS platform reaching somewhere around 212-214" that gets here in 2008 as a 2009 car is what I thought I read. I had heard about the possibility of this car about 9-12 months ago and may have posted it here or on the HELM board at that time.
  • Options
    ideleidele Member Posts: 200
    The Emperor's 20 year old limousines from Nissan were replaced this year by Toyota Century V12's. These have an extended chassis. A newspaper report mentioned that they had a hybrid system. So a V12 hybrid with elongated chassis may already exist.
  • Options
    Upon further digging, here is what I found on the net... Talks of a 5L V8 400HP, IS500 and a 6L 500HP V12 L600 with the L-finese design. I would say the L600 looks stunning, maybe a CLS/Maybach-esque look from the pic...

• Options
    lj - thanks for the pics. I remember seeing that supercar pic before. The overall lines are OK, but that front end . . . I'll be respectful and just say that I would hope it gets a LOT better before production.

BTW, I think you may need to reduce the size of the images.

TagMan
  • Options
    Tag - You know that front end gets a massive grill if the car comes to production. I like the style but the front end definitely needs more work. This was in R&T if I remember right.
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    I had just posted the Following in the HELM Forum:

I just read in Globe & Mail (Toronto Newspaper) that American buyers will be deprieved of the most exciting leading edge Lexus LS technologies. Unlike USA, Japan and Europe will get the following features :

1) A Rear Pre-Crash Safety System
    2)An Advance Obstacle Detection System
    3)An All-Speed Adaptive Cruis Control

Litigation fears and regulations are the main reasons why Americans will be deprieved of the above technology .

In other words Americans will be receiving the low tech version of the Lexus LS .
  • Options
    Tag - You know that front end gets a massive grill if the car comes to production. I like the style but the front end definitely needs more work. This was in R&T if I remember right.

Yeah, that's where I saw it.

A big giant Lexus grill will be just fine. :)

TagMan
  • Options
    Here's a link to Toyota news in case a PR shows up in the morning. I think the earliest official price poster should be given a Class A prize from Pat or Kirstie on behalf of Edmunds - maybe even the keys to an LS600HL. It's not Pat's board but Pat has dealt with some of us for so long now.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/?page=releases&criteria=sales_result&st=kw

BTW - very strong month of August - yet again - from both Toyota and Lexus. The latter's car sales are thru the roof, even with a dying LS to carry across the finish line each of the last several months.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    It will come as no surprise that Pat & I have been tag teaming these two particular discussions for awhile :)
    First person to post pricing will receive the Famous Kings of Norway decorative china plate set (collector's edition), with bonus Harald V serving platter.

I might be able to get you the keys to an LS600HL. You will, however, have to supply the actual vehicle all by yourself :P

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    "just read in Globe & Mail (Toronto Newspaper) that American buyers will be deprieved of the most exciting leading edge Lexus LS technologies. Unlike USA, Japan and Europe will get the following features :

1) A Rear Pre-Crash Safety System
    2)An Advance Obstacle Detection System
    3)An All-Speed Adaptive Cruis Control

Litigation fears and regulations are the main reasons why Americans will be deprieved of the above technology"

GOSH, WHAT A SAD DAY FOR LAWYERS!
  • Options
    Darn, the source on ClubLexus now suggests that pricing won't be released until October! Been checking out the Lexus pressroom all day, to no avail.

The salesman told the ClubLexus source to expect it on September 15, but now it seems that isn't going to happen.

Figures--another Lexus salesman I talked to said they are always the last to know, the secrecy is so tight. Supposedly the GS first arrived in SoCal dealerships with the sales staff knowing absolutely nothing about the car...
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'll provide high-class floor mats to go with the keys. :P
  • Options
    I have confirmation that pricing will not be released right now, and will most likely not be released until next month nearer to the release of the LS460.
  • Options
    I'm surprised Lexus is so late with the car. I'd thought it would be in lots by October 1 - just my feeling. But some reports are saying October 15th. One way or another check those Toyota sales figures on October 2nd as they will show the LS shipments from factory to port for September.
  • Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    has been historically released at, or after, October 15th.

I expect pricing just before Toyota releases October Sales numbers, October 1st or so.

DrFill
  • Options
    The next LS has been historically released at, or after, October 15th.

Well, with all the different buzz about release dates and prices, this historical release is going to end up an hysterical release. ;)

TagMan
  • Options
    rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    to reduce the number of messages per page? So that I can set it to not include the message with the excessively wide picture in it that makes all those long lines requiring horizontal scroll bar gymnastics.
  • Options
    If the photo being posted is too wide, then you are seeing the result. Once the messages get to the next page, it will self-correct. It happens now and then . . . minor inconvenience . . . not the end of the world.

TagMan
  • Options
    Thanks for your encouraging words, tagman. (I'm just piling on messages to get that wide message more than 20 messages old.)
  • Options
    How many pages are visible to you? When signed in, I see 140 pages, and the wide picture is not on the last page.
  • Options
    Interesting point. In IE I see 10 messages, but in Firefox (my normal browser) I see 20, and the wide message is among the last 20 (though moving out fast as we talk).
  • Options
    I'm sorry, nexuslexus, I misread your post. In Firefox I also see 140 pages listed, and since we have just under 2800 messages so far that averages 20 messages per page. In IE it says 280 pages, and apparently each page contains 10 messages. That was basically my original question: What controls the number of messages per page?
  • Options
    There! It's gone now. No more scrolling left and right.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You see 20 messages per page if you are logged in and 10 per page if you aren't.

One thing you can do to get a message off the screen is click on the message number of the one following the one you don't want to see. That will put the one you clicked on at the top of the page.
  • Options
    thats odd.. i really don't know who controls it but I see 140 pages in IE, and the wide message wasn't on the last page. Odd.
  • Options
    It is possible you need to adjust your browser settings or your "forum display preferences" at the top left of this page.

TagMan
  • Options
    Next generation Lexus vehicles:

More here:

link title

The future looks bright!

TagMan
  • Options
    jd14jd14 Member Posts: 128
    Isn't the LF-Sh the new LS600h L? It has AWD, a hybrid V8, and identical looks. :confuse:

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Options
    The LF-Sh premiered in late 2005, and predated the LS 600h...

But some of the tech from both cars still is waiting for the future, some of the styling cues on the LF-Sh were different, and the LF-S has a number of new tech items that are not yet available in production vehicles.
  • Options
    The Automobile review is still saying a 60K base price but indicates that they believe most LS cars will fetch top price and will come in loaded. So base price is meaningless as you have little to no chance of getting a base car. I have a feeling some of the prices we are getting from dealers such as the one OAC noted is how dealers are ordering the cars rather than official MSRP's. I'd expect most dealers will order loaded cars from now thru March or so and this might become a permanent thing given the leap this car is making. Dealers remember the demand was way higher than they thought in 2001 for the ultra and I'd expect most dealers will order the car loaded or near loaded. This is going to be a red hot car and higher price will mean nothing as the car has leapfrogged it's competition and will still be cheaper. The Automobile review I read is strikingly similar to what I was told by someone who drove the car in Japan. Excellent handling, great brakes, very luxurious but now plenty sporty to boot, a techno marvel made easy and a striking muscular car that gets a lot of eye attention. The guy I know hadn't driven the sport suspension either so that must be one heck of a ride.

Gang - be prepared to pay and hope you see a 4 followed by three other numbers for September and/or October shipments. September is difficult to judge as there may only be 2 weeks of dealer retail selling days in October so it may not be a full production/shipping month. But anything less than a 4 starting numberr once we are dealing with a full month production run implies we'll be paying more. Demand will be sky high the first 6 months - let's hope production is too.

My other feeling is now that the LS is out and will get it's headlines Lexus will move the GS up a lot in 2008. Nothing was interfering with this LS in 2007 and nothing was going to steal it's thunder in 2006 either.