Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• getakeygetakey Member Posts: 23
    posted this on the wrong board - I finally found a dealer who took the time to track down the door lock issue (continual locking while driving) and the issue with the outside mirror not returning after backing up. The dealer worked with the factory to reset some codes in the multi-function box that was replaced in the recall. That's the good news. The bad news is that the seat heater on the driver side now turns on randomly and it is warming up where I live. Anyone else have this issue?
  • steveinindysteveinindy Member Posts: 48
    I just had the recall repairs made to my new RL. Now, my doors keep randomly locking while I'm driving. I have mine set so that the doors automatically lock above 10MPH, but they still keep locking even after the initial lock occurs. I had to have the door handles replaced on both sides at the time of the recall because the touch sensors were not working properly. Others reported having the same problems, and my Acura dealer indicated Acura had fixed something on the new handles that should prevent the problem. For now, the handles are fixed---but now the random re-locking while I'm driving is annoying. I would be even more annoyed if fixing it caused my seat heater to come on randomly. This is not a great thing for a $50k car!
  • dadcat6dadcat6 Member Posts: 3
    The solution to your annoying door relocking problem after the update recall is to disconnect the negative battery cable for a minute before reconnecting as mentioned in messages #'s 6081 and 6093 in the Acura RL discussion. That solved the same problem door relocking for both aclc and me.
  • buffalobbuffalob Member Posts: 1
    Have had our 2004 Acura RL 24000 miles. Catalytic convertor warning light came on on dash and would not go off. Took it to dealer and they say the 02 or oxyg. (not sure) sensor was physically damaged and therefore the new part and labor charge of $409.00 could not be covered by warranty. First of all, how do we know its physically damaged as opposed to mere malfunctioning. Also we think if the whole catalytic convertor goes, that is covered by warranty. How should we proceed with the dealer? also they have to order the part. Can we get the car back and drive it until the part comes in?
    Thanks for your help!! I'll try that right away.
  • michaelbmenakemichaelbmenake Member Posts: 12
    After the 4-item recall (which I trust you have info on by now), my door locks started to have problems. The side mirror also randomly would not return to its position after turning down when the transmission was in reverse.

My dealer, after a long conversation with Acura, determined that there are just now bulletins being written to dealers about this. The fix entailed reflashing the system and replacing the door handles.

The conflicts seem to be between new components from the recall repair and the "old" software.

Hope this helps.
    It worked! All fixed. I would encourage anyone experiencing the random door locking issue after the recall update to follow the recommendation made by dadcat6 in message number 54 on this board. Thanks again dadcat6, you saved me from a lot of extra aggrevation! Steve
  • kacuratkacurat Member Posts: 33
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I purchased the extended warranty along with lo-jack at the time of purchase. About a month later I had the lo-jack installed and asked my dealer why I had not received any info regarding my extended warranty. They informed me that they lost the paperwork and then resubmitted it. Well, 2 months later, I still have yet to receive any info. I feel as if now that I am already a "sold" customer they don't care anymore. I contacted my salesman b/c the manager guy that sold it has not responded and the salesman seemed to be more of a help, but now a week later, still no response. What is my recourse, as I want the extended warranty and don't want to pay double for it. P.S. I have one form of paperwork leading to believe I did in fact purchase it the day of the sale, but needless to say I am really pissed off that they choose to ignore you when they don't need to make a sale anymore.

Anyway, I am not just venting, but actually also looking for advice.

Thanks,

Karen
    Happy Easter!

P.P.S. I DO absolutely love my RL!!! :)
  • dennis721dennis721 Member Posts: 62
    Hi,

If you have proof of sale I would tell (in writing) them you want the issue cleared up in another 10 days to 2 weeks or you are turning them into the state better business burea and the state attourney general's office for investigation of fradulent business practices. If you paid by credit card I would also turn them in to the card company too.

dennis
    Thanks Dennis,

I will try that this week and see what happens. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know what happens...

Karen
  • reallegendreallegend Member Posts: 28
    I also had a situation with my extended warranty plan. The official plan is sent via American Honda Finance Corporation about a month after signing the contract. In my case, it reflected a $50 deductable, whereas the contract I signed had $0. I turned to the Acura Business Manager to correct the situation and got the typical "no problem, it was a clerical error". Well nothing happened for a month. I resolved it by calling American Honda Finance and requsted them to contact the Business Manager to get it fixed. They did and called me back, keeping me informed as to when I would receive a new plan.

My experience is that the Business Manager was only interested in locking down new business and not in correcting issues. Of a number of calls I made to him, he never would return my calls. So I recommend that you contact American Honda Finance at 1-800-999-5901. They will help and correct the issue.

Good luck with your RL. Mine has been fantastic from the start.
    Did anyone ever reply with a way to delete the message concerning the keyless access fob being removed from the car? I can delete everything else, but I can't delete this particular message, which means that every time I select the information button, the messages button is highlighted instead of the trip computer, which is really what I normally want to check. Thanks for any ideas. Steve C.
  • bucketsbuckets Member Posts: 6
    regarding deleteing message concerning the keyless access fob being removed from the car. i believe this same as passenger air bag message. it has to be deleted by dealer.
  • rljinxrljinx Member Posts: 2
    I am now on my SECOND 2005 Acural RL. The first was replaced by the dealer (with intervention from Acura)because of multiple non-start problems. The car was towed to the dealer 3 times in the first 100 miles before Acura replaced the car - possible battery cell problem???, but they were unsure. Today I had my NEW Acura (110 miles on the odometer) towed in because the battery was dead. Too dead to even turn the ignition switch. When they jump started the car at the dealership, the rear map lights came on and their theory was that they had been left on and drained the battery overnight. EXCEPT no one has been in the back seat of the car, much less turned on the map lights. Do I tell them to take this car back too and buy a Mercedes? The dealer mumbled something about "intermittent battery problems". . . I love the car when it starts. Waiting 1 1/2 hours for roadside assistance is the pits!
  • rlownerrlowner Member Posts: 12
    if you hold down the map/guide, menu, and cancel buttons all at the same time, you'll be taken to a diagnostic menu. one of the menu items leads to another classic acura menu with diagnostic messages listed. there you can delete the key fob and air bag messages readily...
    since i picked up my 2005 RL in november, i've gotten intermittent SH-AWD and VSA error messages that appear to occur when the ambient temperature is over 48 degrees F. unfortunately, its still winter here in VA, so that happens infrequently and doesn't provide my dealer with many opportunities to see the problem. anyone else experiencing this???
  • 3leggeddog3leggeddog Member Posts: 5
    Hi -

Does anyone know what the latest version of the software is? I just picked up my RL yesterday, and I want to make sure that all of the upgrades were made before they gave it to me.

Thanks
    Thank you so much for your reply. The only problem is I didn't finance my car, it was bought outright. Do you recommend I call Acura headquarters directly? They helped me get my wood steering wheel faster.

I keep getting told the manager will call me back, they don't care about new business at all- you were definitely right about that!
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try it and post the results. How would anyone ever know to do this without this message board? I've received two great tips now from this board.
    Hi,
    I looked at the diagnostic and set up screens this led me to and I wonder if you know what diameter the tire size variance page is based on. Mine is set at -2.xx%. I havent been able to find out what diameter the 245/50/17 Michelin's are otherwise I could calculate it.
  • reallegendreallegend Member Posts: 28
    Karen,

I'm on the same page as you as I also purchased my RL. It doesn't matter whether purchased or financed, all extended warranty coverage is managed by American Honda Finance. They hold the contract. So your best bet is to contact them directly and explain the situation. Remember to have THEM contact the dealership Business Manager so that your issue is updated and resolved immediately.

Rich
    Hi,
    I looked at the diagnostic and set up screens this led me to and I wonder if you know what diameter the tire size variance page is based on. Mine is set at -2.xx%. I havent been able to find out what diameter the 245/50/17 Michelin's are otherwise I could calculate it.
    Thanks, I tried this and sure enough I made it to the diagnostic screen and tried several of the options, but could not find the one that allows you to delete the "key outside the car" messages. Could you please direct me to the right option on that menu? Thanks for your great help!
    do the three finger salute and go into the XM diagnostics and you'll see two buttons. press the second button and you'll see a standard acura menu and an option on diagnostics. select that menu item and viola' you'll be able to delete any and all messages, including key fob messages, here.
    Hi and Dennis,

Well, when you call Acura directly they know you mean business. Within 48 hours Paragon Acura was called directly and the business manager their who blew me off is being looked into their internally, as their has been similar complaints from clients. I was so livid on the phone. But the director of customer relations called me and assured me within 1 week I would have the extended warranty directly in my hand. It goes to show you how efficient the "big guys can be". Any complaints or issues anyone has call 1-800-382-2238 and press option #3. They will assign you a claim # and you definitely will get your problem resolved. They also got my wood steering wheel in in 3 days as opposed to 3 months that the dealer told me.

Satisfied customer (finally),

Karen :)
    Hi,

I have a problem with my real time traffic. There has been an accident stuck on the map for the past week. I know that accident has been cleared but 2 of them on the LIE are still listed. All of the other trafffic lines and everything have been updated, does anyone know what to do with this?

Also, how do you tell which side of the highway, westbound or eastbound traffic is on??

Thanks,

Karen :blush:
  • fighterwsofighterwso Member Posts: 15
    OK, so I've had the car for 2 weeks and love it!

I figured it was time to activate the Onstar. No problem! Easily done - and I was done using the car for the day. The next day, I went out and POOF - all my radio stations were missing. Looking further, I found my Address Book and other things were either missing or ‘grayed out.’

I thought the problem was Onstar and their communications with the car. Looking further -- I think Onstar only caused the “Keyless” key to loose link.

The fix: Re-associate the Keyless fob with the car.
    1) Enter the car – without starting it.
    2) Press the ‘lock’ and ‘unlock’ on the fob until the red light flashed (on the fob).
    3) Start the car.
    4) Under the “Welcome” on the odometer – You should see “Driver 1 or 2"
    5) Check for your presets...

rlowner: Thanks for the 3-finger salute [diagnostics] posting.
  • exhaloprezexhaloprez Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 RL with about 500 miles. While washing the car today I noticed that there are spots/scratches circular in shape with a jagged line in the middle on the outside of the moonroof. They do not come out with windex. They are best seen from the inside of the car. Has anyone had a similar problem? It looks as if there is a flaw in the tinting of the moonroof.

Thanks and the only other problems was the outside temp gauge whose sensor was replaced.
  • andrews4andrews4 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought an Acura 2-3 months ago and it has died on me 4 times. Once, with a client in the car and 100 miles from home...another time, I returned from a business trip at midnight only to find my car dead in the airport parking lot. First the dealer said it was a faulty battery and replaced it with a new one, then it was a "remote" problem. The dealer has had my car almost 2 weeks and admitted it has died on them as well but they don't know why. They have been seeking the assitance of "Acura" headquarters and so far have offered no resolution for me. Frankly, with all the problems I've experienced, I don't want the car back and do not want another RL. An internet search uncovered that I am not the only one with repeated "dead car" issues...and Acura has no answers.
    rlowner: I followed your directions and it worked perfectly. Thanks again. I really get great value from this board!
  • getakeygetakey Member Posts: 23
    just got a DVD in the mail that updates problems with the Nac software
    It would be nice if they told us what problems are fixed
    Has anyone detemined what problems were fixed with the new DVD? Just curious. I've loaded mine, but can see no difference. Steve
  • blloydblloyd Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking of buying an Acura RL. I asked the dealer about the battery issue. He said, and then demomstrated the need to turn the ignition switch ALL THE WAY OFF. Many people turn it until it says goodbye, then leave the car with everything still on but the engine. The battery soon dies.
  • hondavanmanhondavanman Member Posts: 3
    I've noticed the same thing, though I have seen other traffic icons come and go. That would sound like its a problem with the traffic information feed.

Regarding your question about how to tell which direction the traffic is on, I'm guessing that you might be asking this question because it looks like the information is reversed. I'm convinced that the information is backwards -- I've seen this on the Northern Parkway around Westbury. I've read on another message board that in another part of the country (California?), the information feed was reversed and all of the traffic info was on the wrong side of the road. Is this what you're seeing?
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    I think some people may also be leaving their remotes either inside or within a few feet of the car by mistake, too. If the remote is in or near the car, the car stays "on," so it's important to take the remote into the house or away from the car.
    Yes, I too notice it on the Northern State. The only way I can tell if the yellow or red line is for my side of the road is if there is traffic. But there is no way to tell prior to getting to the traffic spot.
  • ephraimwephraimw Member Posts: 1
    I am going nuts with the very same problem of noisy brakes. I have only 1,900 miles on my RL and it squeals horribly in wet or dry weather. It began about one month ago and I can't relate it to anything. It doesn't happen every day and sometimes days will pass before it happens again. It happened once on the Cross-Bronx expressway,which is a road used mainly by truckers,they looked down from their cabs at my brand new car and were aghast at the noise coming from this little car. My dealer offers no solution. Acura Headquarters in California says that they are very sorry but that there is no solution from them. I LOVE THE CAR TOO but THERE MUST BE SOME HOPE.They also knew of NO ONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM.
  • bobbidickbobbidick Member Posts: 2
    Took delivery of RL 1 week ago and the first time I was on the highway I noticed "road noise", a type of humming sound. Suspect it may be coming from the tires (Michelin). Noise is also present on local streets, but less obvious. Is this the type of noise you're referring to? Anyone else experience this type of noise?
  • bobbidickbobbidick Member Posts: 2
    Have the same problem. My RL is 10 days old and the noise is worst at high speeds. Am thinking it may be due to the tires. have you any new information on the source of your noise?
  • stuckintraffiqstuckintraffiq Member Posts: 1
    Could either (or both) of you define the area with a bit more detail, perhaps giving the exit numbers between which you are seeing the problem. If there is a problem I guarantee it will be looked into immediately. The issue you mention in California is being rectified, thanks to observant RL owners like yourself. Thanks for your reply
  • blloydblloyd Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a new Acura RL. It is great. Does everything I expected. Great pickup and ride. Features such as XM Radio and navigation work well. Great looking car, many positive comments from friends. Mileage looks good too. My Verizon V 710 cell phone paired right away and works fine. I am a happy Acura owner.
    I asked my dealer to install a backup camera using parts designed for the Acura MDX SUV. Awaiting a response from Acura.
  • sarahbeth0404sarahbeth0404 Member Posts: 4
    Ditto, same situation here, same fixes from dealer. My dealer actually had a rep from ACURA to come to NC. First he tells me that I will get a new car. The next day he says that they will try one more fix and if that doesn't stop the problem I will get a new car. He also said that this was the first time he has heard about this problem. There is another Acura dealership about 30 miles away they have seen this problem 3 times. (CROWN ACURA, GREENSBORO, NC)

I bought the car in October drove it home 54 miles and it was dead the next morning. It has been hauled away from my home 3-4 times by Acura Roadside Service. It has been started apx. 5 times by a local gas station. It has been fixed by my dealer ( FLOW MOTORS, Winston-Salem NC, THE BEST DEALER EVER) apx 3-4 times. It has been out of commision 97 days. Today it has been in the dealership for 23 days.

I am leasing this car for about $1000.00 per month. The car has 2000 miles on it. So far I have paid $6000.00 for a car that is operable less than half of the time.

NC lemon law applies to this situation. If I sue Acura they have to pay me 3X the cost of everything, insurance, tags, taxes, down payment and much more. It also very likely that I will even get money for "emotional distress". The Attorney General (I think) handles the whole situation.

I am a Loyal ACURA Customer, this is my 3rd leased RL, before that I leased a Legend. So 4 acuras in 12 years. I buy them all sell them to relatives and all are maintained and financed by the ACURA DEALER.I suggest you check your state's LEMON LAW. I am almost sure you qualify for a NEW CAR or a COMPLETE REFUND. After ACURA jerks you around for awhile go ahead and sue them. My car is "fixed" again. I refuse to pick it up. It seems that most of the ACURA's with this problem were the first ones Sept-Feb. Kinda interesting that the 2005 RL's that are being sold now don't seem to have this problem......Things that make You go Hmmmm. Let me know if I can help!!!
  • evileye-4evileye-4 Member Posts: 1
    Fighterwso,

I have an 2005 RL with an issue that the factory cant resolve. When I start the car the calender and address book are grayed out. the voice req wont make a sound. (I adjust the fan speed and the front speakers mute out as if she is trying to say something, but no words are spoken)
    Also, when I push the Audio button the radio turns on but the audio menu will NOT appear. Is there anyone else having this problem?

I also love cruising to a stop light have having BOTH front brakes singing like an 18-wheeler in an emergency. Am at 2k miles lets see if it goes away. :mad:
  • fighterwsofighterwso Member Posts: 15
    Typically - the missing information (Think of it as "personal information"!) is associated with the key fob. These items include - calendar entries, address book, home address, presets, seat position, etc.

I recommend trying the other key fob. Be sure to associate the fob [my previous posting]. Of course, all the above mentioned settings will need updating. Be sure to use the memory setting on the door that matches the fob key number. (Probably not required -- maybe a good practice.)

As for the "voice" not making a sound ... check the voice command settings. Check the "Settings" button below and to the right of the interface dial. Then, check the volume selection. (FYI - Don't forget to check the other menu here by moving the interface dial to the right.)

The audio menu never appears? (I get the menu displayed when I press, XM, FM, power/volume button.) Does the stereo work?

Sorry to 'hear' about the brakes...
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I am leasing this car for about $1000.00 per month.

:surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

You must've been extremely upside down in whatever it was you traded to get that thing!! Or you have horrendous credit. Or, more aptly, the dealer spotted you when you crawled out of bed that morning. My word!
  • jburkehhijburkehhi Member Posts: 1
    With only 350 total miles on my odometer, I was very surprised and pleased to get 25.3 mpg on a two-lane, rural trip. Can I expect any improvement in the future? Thanx
  • fredphipsifredphipsi Member Posts: 7
    Ephraimw: I have good news for you. The problem goes away and appears to be a break-in issue. I would say by the time I hit 2500mi, I no longer had the problem. Others on this site have had the same experience. Let me know if your problem lasts longer. Good luck.
  • fredphipsifredphipsi Member Posts: 7
    Jburkehhi:

That's impressive milage. My odometer is at 2900 and I am getting 18 on a mix of city and highway.
  • dano4dano4 Member Posts: 35
    Bought my RL December 2005. Now have 6000 miles. Only two problems to date.
    The first 2000 miles, I had a nasty brake squeal in right front brake first thing in the day. This went away on its own and did not return. Also had a noise in front suspension over series of bumps at 20-30 mph. This was diagnosed as a problem in the right front caliper (may also relate to brake squeal). Caliper was tightened, rotor turned and no problem since. Service at Ed Martin Acura in Indianapolis was excellent. Also had the same annoying "door locking" problem following the software updates. As advised on this board, I disconnected and reconnected the negative battery cable and problem is gone. I very much appreciate the advice.

Like the car very much. Gas mileage is 27 on highway at 75-80 mph. Average overall is 22-23. My only complaint is lack of rear seat leg room, but I knew this when I bought it. Like the handling, engine response and sound, and high tech features.
  • dano4dano4 Member Posts: 35
    Had same problem. Went away on its own. You might also try going to an empty parking lot with no obstacles or traffic. Try some good hard braking while in reverse at a comfortable speed. This appears to be a brake break-in issue.