Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C350 & C280

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Also, you might want to consider the C240's replacment, the C280. It will likely have 225-228hp and perform better than the current top of the line C320. The wonderful thing about Mercedes is that when they do new engines (doesn't happen that often) they really turn the performance up, often times making the base model outperform the former top model. Even the new C230 is supposed to get a 200hp V6. It may only equal the performance of the current C230 in a straight line, but it will be a much smoother drive. Sounding a lot better in the process. Can't wait to see the official details on the 2006 C-Class.

M
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I couldn't agree more. A friend of mine a couple of years ago was looking at a 02 Lexus GS430. He went to a high-end only used dealer that sold MB's BMW's, etc. When he told them they gave him 2 keys, one being a Lexus key and the other being a BMW key. And told hime without looking at the car which would you rather have at your garage. Long story short, he chose the BMW 540. I've owned an Acura and currently a LExus so I like the JApanese cars, but name is everytthing if you can afford it.
  • agarbatiagarbati Member Posts: 6
    OK, I don't want to stir the pot here but I'm really torn between two different cars and need some help in making a decision. One is the coming C280, and the other is the Acura 3.2TL. On one hand the starpower is irrestible, but I've been looking at the Acura and that just makes the decision really difficult. The 3.2 is a very attractive purchase in accessories, looks, and quality. But all said and done you can't compare a Merc to an Acura - they're two very different beasts.
    Somewhat in the same boat. Never had a MB and always like that 3 pointed star.However the Acura is nice because of the size and price.
    Well guys it really boils down to what you like and what your priorities are. The TL is bigger, faster and has better standard equipment than the C280. The C350 is really the match for the TL, but with the same equipment its like 10-12K more than the TL. The C280 will only have about 227 hp compared to the TL's 270hp. Goes with out saying the TL will be faster. The C350 Sport will likely match the TL in every performance contest, but at a cost. I think the handling advantage will go to the C350 Sport, but we'll see. Reliability of course goes to Acura.

M
  • mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    I tuned in to see what kind of reviews there might be from people with actual experience concerning MB's new 3.5 and 7-spd tranny. That is what the thread was all about.

It was surprising to see how many people--people who have voted with their dollars and obviously have "voted" for other vehicles and should be on other threads--apparently feel the need to use a thread like this to re-sell themselves on their own opinions, decisions and values. Sheesh.

A lot of the off-topic chatter seems to be about Acura's lineup, which wasn't much when we purchased our '02 C320. They didn't even offer side head curtains: just a little pillow that came out of the seat. The Acuras where closer to the $30K V6 Passats as far as comparing apples for apples.

Now, Acura may have more than a contender to MB's C-class--perhaps, even a superior car in the eyes of many. Maybe it is "better" because it is a better value, or is bigger, or comes in more colors, or because Japanese are trying harder and German workers are overpaid, etc.

So,. . . who cares? Why does that become a topic on a MB thread?

Anyway, hopefully, anyone with actual experience owning a MB vehicle with the new 350 engine will post their experiences. Thanks.
    Can we add the C280 to the title?

M
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Nope. This is a future vehicles discussion, so we focus on ONE vehicle only, and it's gotta be a future model. The Coupes board is a great place for a 280 discussion.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

The C280 is a new C-Class sedan coming along with the new C350.

M
    Don't know why not? They are new 06 models.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    OK - I beg your pardon, then. I just couldn't find any info on even MB's own site, that indicated the C280 is coming up!
    Title changed.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Isn't the C class up for a facelift? The current body style has been in place since 2001. I don't know what the cycle time is on the body styles for Mercedes but I do know Germans tend to go slightly longer than Japanese auto manufacturers.
    I think you might be getting a "facelift" mixed up with a total redesign. The C-Class had a facelift for 2005. Much better interior, new wheels, lights, and a much better sport package for the Sport models. Along with a V8 for the AMG model, which changed from the C32 (V6) to the C55 V8. Now for the 2006 models (early June) all of the other engines change: 200hp V6 C230, 227hp C280 and 268hp C350. The next redesign for the C-Class is due for the 2008 model year in the U.S. The car will likely make its debut (in Europe) in the spring of 2007 in sedan form.

The article on the 2006 C-Class:

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050223.006/mercedes/1.html

"With four completely new V6 engines, the C-Class takes a clear lead in its market segment where output and torque are concerned. Of the new engines, three are V6 petrol units with 150 kW/204 hp (C 230), 170 kW/231 hp (C 280) and 200 kW/272 hp (C 350). The C 320 CDI with the state-of-the-art V6 diesel engine (165 kW/224 hp) also joins the line-up."

Just subtract 4hp from these totals for our versions. No diesel for us though.

M
    Just got this on the MB website -

2006 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
    Energized. Impressive sculpted lower bodywork, polished stainless steel exhaust finisher and ultra-responsive 6-speed manual transmission.
    Supercharged 1.8L 16-valve inline-4 engine - 189 hp @ 5,800 rpm

Are they delaying the engine upgrades?
    Which MB site was that? On the MBUSA.com site I only saw the 2005 model listing.

M
    Their official site, on this page click on the C class overview link....http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/models/class_overview.jsp&modelCode=c_class_main- -
    Well on one page it says 2006 and the main page says 2005, I'll go with the 2005 designation. All things indicate that the 4-cylinder is history in June. Site error imo.

M
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    ...for a 2006/07 C. I currently have a 2000 C230, which I plan to keep (it only has 28,000 miles). I definitely want 4MATIC next time around--and probably the C280 model. I'm curious how that car would be priced--I'd also add sunroof, lighting, and entertainment packages, as well as the multicounter seat. IIRC, the C240 4MATIC is pushing $40K with those features--so maybe $42K for the 280?
  • stroudmanstroudman Member Posts: 192
    I doubt the price will go up quite that much. The E-class went up just a bit under $2k for the 350, but the c-class is in a more competitive pricepoint, and if the 280 is going to be more powerful than the outgoing 320, they will really lose sales on the big engine car if they raise it that much, IMO. I could be wrong, we'll just have to wait and see, and I'm sure those numbers will leak soon...I'll be sure to blab! :-)
  • ikramericaikramerica Member Posts: 101
    Can't see the logic in replacing the c230 1.8 with a detuned near-equal HP V6. Too confusing to the US market, more expensive, etc. The c230 1.8 will likely remain in 2006. It is selling really well now, and will continue to sell well as the entry level model in the entry level category. With that structure, the model line makes more sense, too, keeping the 190hp 230, the 225hp 280 replacing the 240 in a long overdue update (making the 240 worth the extra money over the 230 now), and the 350 leading the class for once, with 268hp and RWD/AWD.
    I can see what you're saying, but nowadays MB must play by the same rules and all of the entry level cars are going to 6-cylinders now. There are no 4-cylinder BMWs anymore and the new IS250 will be priced right along with the C230 V6, so Mercedes may not have a choice. Only Audi, Acura and Saab seem to sticking to 4-cylinder entry level models. I personally won't miss the 4 one bit.

M
    Here are the absolute US specs for 2006.

C230 - 2.5L V6 at 201hp,181lbft
    C280 - 3.0L V6 at 228hp,221lbft
    C350 - 3.5L V6 at 268hp,258lbft

This is printed from a dealer spec sheet.

PS - can we change the title to C230, C280 and C350, since the C230 is new as well?
    Does anyone know when will the 06 C's come out?
    July or august, depending on how popular a dealer you are with the factory.
    I told you....lol!!!

Any word on whether or not the C230 and C280 automatics will be 7G-Tronic?

M
    Since the C280 is not available stick, and the 4matic is 5 speed do to space limitations, I don't know for sure, since the order page for my car only let's you see/change what is configurable (meaning transmission wasn't even listed), and the spec page he printed only had engine info for the C class line, comparing 2005 to 2006.

I'm going back next week to finalize my order and I can ask him to pull up the C230 order page, since that comes stick or auto. If 7speed pops up as an option, we can assume the C280 RWD comes with it as well.
    Thanks for the reply...how about pricing? how much more will it be over the current , models?
    Pricing is not available at this time.

Expect a slight increase, but not much due to competition, according to salesman's guess.
  • run1run1 Member Posts: 2
    I`ve been following this forum gaining much info on these new models. Are we at a halt until they are released ?? Hope not as I have one on order, and am looking fo rmore information.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    What kind of RPMs are we talking on those power and torque figures? Without them, Im not sure I understand why MB would even bother with the fairly unimpressive output 3.0L.

~alpha
    C230 - 2496cc V6 - 201hp6200rpm - 181lbft2700-5000rpm (vs. 189hp5800/192lbft3500-4000)

C280 - 2996cc V6 - 228hp6000rpm - 221lbft2700-5000rpm (vs. 168hp5700/177lbft4700)

C350 - 3498cc V6 - 268hp6000rpm - 258lbft2400-5000rpm (vs. 215hp5700/229lbft4700)
    Also, just found out that Nav system for C and CLK 2006 will be made by Alpine, not Bosch. Not sure what these means. I prefer the MB command system to the Alpine nav systems I've seen.

But it's possible that the ML is also Alpine, and that is how iPod integration is working, since Alpine through BMW and their own have various iPod integration products.

The downside is that right now, the Europe DVD does not work with the Alpine Nav (the US DVD still does, so it must be a very similar system). When I pick up my car in Europe, rather than having the Nav to help me navigate through the country, they promised to provide a "europe map".

Great... :(
    NAVTEQ doesn't even offer a Euro DVD for the C or CLK-class cars. :-(
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Hi everyone, I am new to this MB forum and mostly have roamed in the 2006 Audi A4 and 2006 BMW 330i forums.

Shout out to Merc1, have talked with you before somewhere. Stroudman and Merc1, I have read and enjoyed your informative posts on this forum.

Well here is my situation. I was intending to purchase this fall the 2006 330i ( 90% )or the 2006 A4 ( 10% ). I test drove both of them and was impressed with the new 330i engine and body style but had a difficult time with the sport seats. Getting the non-sport seats is not an option because i need to have the sport package. Have tried to talk about swapping the premium leather lumbar seats for the sports seats but the dealers want nothing to do with it. This is a deal killer for me. Anyway, the Audi A4 honestly looks cheap to me inside. The console looks cheap and unimpressive. I like the new body style but think i should of bought one of those when i was in my late 20's.

So here i am ready to throw in the towel on any german products when my brother and my wife finally convince me to at least consider a MB. My biggest problem with MB has been there extremely high price in there respective market segment with a sub sub par level of performance; specifically there engines re: hp and torque output. My brother mentioned there might be a 3.5 coming around the corner on the C class in a few months but I found nothing on the MB website.

So here are a few questions I hope you guys can help out with. What differences do you think there will be on the 2006 C350 vs the 2005 C320? ( Obviously the engine will be changed so exclude that )
    1. Any exterior body changes?
    2. Any alternative standard or optional tire changes?
    3. Any type of interior changes with the dash/console etc?
    4. Will the current packages still exist or will they start to add accessories as standard options like xenon lighting, sunroof etc.
    5. Looks there there is Ipod compatibility, what about BLUETOOTH?
    6. Are you guys aware of any good links re: articles online that speak to this new car?
    7. What is the realistic time expectation when we will see pricing and order info?
    8. When will the dealers start to have these in the showrooms for demos?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

chris
    While I can't specifically answer these for you, but a couple of issues agoe in either Motor Trend or Car and Driver had an article about the C350. Maybe you can check it out and see what you can find out. Hope this helps!
  • doubleetendredoubleetendre Member Posts: 5
    I was in your position about a month ago, except for the Audi. I finally test drove the 06 330 and it pretty much sealed the deal for me. I'm getting raped by the dealer but it took me a long time to arrive at my decision and I'm not changing it now. Besides MB is changing the C in model year '08, summer '07, so I really don't want to shell out 40+k for something that will be changing design on me so quickly. As far as I know only the engines are changing right now with the major overhaul of interior/exterior occurring in 07. I remember reading about Bluetooth compatibility on one of the accessories for the C but you'll have to dig through MBUSA to find that. Hope that helped.
    I was in your position about a month ago, except for the Audi. I finally test drove the 06 330 and it pretty much sealed the deal for me. I'm getting raped by the dealer but it took me a long time to arrive at my decision and I'm not changing it now. Besides MB is changing the C in model year '08, summer '07, so I really don't want to shell out 40+k for something that will be changing design on me so quickly. As far as I know only the engines are changing right now with the major overhaul of interior/exterior occurring in 07. I remember reading about Bluetooth compatibility on one of the accessories for the C but you'll have to dig through MBUSA to find that. Hope that helped.
    The MB will perform about the same in straight line acceleration as the BMW with the engine changes, but the BMW will handle better as a "sport sedan" while the MB will handle better as a "luxury sedan" even with the sport package. You'd have to drive one of the new ones when they arrive to see if you like it. I've always found the interiors of the Audi to be best (never been in the latest one though), then MB, then BMW, since I hate the wide center console. But that's just me. Plus my Z3s had really cheap interior materials, so that left a lasting impression on me. that and sitting in a 6 series at the autoshow and seeing really cheap plastic that was getting absolutely destroyed by people getting in and out, something I found shocking on a 70k car.

As for pricing, I hear this about C class but don't actually see it when I price them all at edmunds. Prices are pretty close. The MB does come out as a bit more expensive, but not a great deal more expensive, when equipped with the same options. Now the E class is really more expensive than the 5, but the C and 3 are pretty close. Stats get skewed because BMW "typical options" list is smaller than MB, putting the prices out of whack. But it isn't MBs fault that BMW drivers skimp on options where MB drivers tend to load them up more, is it?

Wheels tend to change from year to year, and tires are always a crap shoot as no manufacturer sticks to one brand except for their performance models. We'll see what happens for 2006. C "sport" models will have 17" wheels, staggered width, with summer tires, and an optional manual 6 speed. C "luxury" models will have 16" wheels with all-season tires and a standard 7speed auto (4matic gets 5speed due to space limitations). C55 sports staggered 18". There are plenty of optional wheel packages at MBUSA, all overpriced IMHO. Your dealer pricing will vary.

Interior will not change. It changed last year and gets rave reviews now. Sport models have sport seats with more bolstering, luxo models have standard seats. All non C350 come standard with 4-way power, 6-way manual seats with lumbar adjust lever, and have optional 10-way power driver seat with memory for seat, mirrors and steering wheel. C350 comes standard with dual 10-way memory seats.

Bluetooth is currently not an option, though MB doesn't make it clear at all. Why it isn't standard is beyond me, as it doesn't really cost much, and the phone wiring is standard no matter what, including mic and antenna. VW offers it standard on the Jetta. Instead, they have a system which allows you to use a variety of phones with a cradle adapter that hooks to their system. Phone hides in the center armrest top compartment. Then again, Bluetooth is already a dead technology, soon to be usurped by USB Wireless. Bluetooth development has basically stopped, though it's use is only now picking up.

Sunroof is an option in a package, including other options.

Xenon is not standard, nor is it standard on a lot of other cars, as not everyone wants to blind oncoming traffic to see slightly better. I'm in that camp, myself.

C350 has standard harman kardon stereo, C230 and C280 have that optional. All have standard single disc CD, 6 disc optional systems, and the nav system now has a seperate slot of CD so you can use it even with nav DVD in the system.
    Shout out to Merc1, have talked with you before somewhere. Stroudman and Merc1, I have read and enjoyed your informative posts on this forum.

Thanks, and don't forget ikramerica too. His post brought the real meat (engines) to the discussion.

1. Any exterior body changes?

In a word, no. That was done for 2005 and the new grille is really distinctive to my eye. As others have noted there will be an all-new C for the 2008 model year so the days of MB's getting one than one facelift during its run are over because they aren't on the 10+ year model cycle anymore.

2. Any alternative standard or optional tire changes?

Hard to say as ikramerica indicated.

3. Any type of interior changes with the dash/console etc?

Nope. Same as the exterior, all changes were for 2005.

4. Will the current packages still exist or will they start to add accessories as standard options like xenon lighting, sunroof etc.

See ikramerica's last post. He has seen the ordering sheet and can tell you that for sure. Of course Stroudman will be able to answer here also.

5. Looks there there is Ipod compatibility, what about BLUETOOTH?

No bluetooth, and I can probably guess as to why. Look for Mercedes to Bluetooth on the next S-Class or something similar/better.

6. Are you guys aware of any good links re: articles online that speak to this new car?

Well there a few, but they really aren't specific to the U.S. models. A "roadtest" of the new C350 should appear in like the Aug-Sept issues of the mainstream auto press, mags like Car and Driver, Road and Track, Automobile, Motor Trend etc.

General Article on C350

There are various "preview" articles on the C350 in the July issue of Sports Car International, the May issue of Road and Track, the May issue of Automobile Magazine, and the May issue of Motor Trend. All of these short preview style articles are pretty much on the same page. The new engine makes huge difference especially combined with chassis changes made on the "Sport" model for 2005.

7. What is the realistic time expectation when we will see pricing and order info?

I'd say less than a month, but Stroudman and ikramerica would know best here.

8. When will the dealers start to have these in the showrooms for demos?

Also within the month I'd say. I guess it really depends on the dealer itself and how low they are on 2005 models. Stroudman?

All in all I'd say the C-Class is finally a complete package. The luxury models for 2005 really have a nice interior as I found at drive event from one of MB's competitors.

M
    Very imformative post as always. Though I'd have to say at 65K I've seen 5-Series BMWs just as or even more pricier than any E-Class Mercedes. I've seen two such priced 545i models in recent weeks. BMW manages to start the 5-Series out lower due to the 525i model, of which there is no "E280" for Mercedes to compete with. Though I personally would like to see a E280 and CLK280, but thats just me. That might just be one too many models though for the CLK and E-Classes.

Blue leather huh? What exterior color?

M
  • speedoflightspeedoflight Member Posts: 5
    Hi all:
    Hope you can give me some sound advise. I am in the process of buying a new used car. I am looking to get either a C240 or BMW 325. As mentioned, both will be used, from either 2001 or 2002. I have test driven both cars and really like both. I like the C240 because it is classy and offers a very comfortable ride. I like the BMW 325 for it drives very well and it has the cool factor attached to its looks. But beyond looks, I really want a car that I don't need to send into the shop every month for repairs for I do NOT want to be broke from repair bills. I have read many forum posts of both cars from bulletin board sites and have read complains on both cars. All of which makes me worried of course but still...I need a new car and I really do not want to go for the Japanese cars. I don't like any of the 2003-2004/05 Acuras, Infinitis or Lexuses. They just don't have the "prestigious look" that I want. Please advise me as to whether I should go for the C240 or 325?

Thanks so much.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi - the best place for your question is on our Sedans board. Let's go to your post at this link speedoflight, "BMW 325 or MB C240?" #1, 8 May 2005 4:02 pm and continue with your question.
  • mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    What is this?

I thought this thread was for MB folks to discuss upcoming models. MB versus BMW versus whatever bs should be on some other thread. I'd take C's outgoing 320 over the 330i but I don't go on a BMW site to pitch my opinions. Why would I do that other than to make myself feel good by purposefully challenging the opinions of others?

I was hoping to hear from MB owners that had some feedback about their new 350s, and how they like it being teamed up with the new 7-spd tranny. Sure, that would have only been SLK owners when the thread was started, but now we might get some feedback from ML350 owners too; and, some of them may have some very insightful comments if they'd previously owned a ML-, C- or E320 with the 5-spd tranny.

I do not learn anything about the new C350 with the new 7-spd tranny from someone who bought a new Audi or a BMW or an Acura or an F150, other than they obviously wouldn't give a red herring about my opinion either.
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Thanks for the replies guys. This helps and points me in the right direction. Can't wait for some more info. on the MB website as well as a test drive.
    I was going to get midnight blue and save the money on metallic, but for 2006, that is no longer an option (color pallet trimmed from 14 to 9 likely to save cost). so it's capri blue.

growing up my dad had a 450SE (1973) which was blue with blue leather. Kept it until about 1990. I guess that's why I am partial to it.

i also had a navy S4 with blue/black interior, and that was nice. i'm just tired of charcoal interiors, and the light colors get dirty.
    well, comparing the new engines to what is available from competition may be helpful for some people. sorry this thread isn't specific enough for you. but reading through this thread will give you a very clear view of this car class's history and what changes to expect for 2006.

and, since this is a future vehicle thread, how could anyone tell you how their c350 or c280 drives? time travel? :confuse:
    First off, if you have any urge left to look at the audi, I would wait a few more months until the VW Jetta GLI hits the floor. It will mostly be the same car for less money, and maybe lower expectations.
    The C320 you can look at in the stores now is the same look you will get in the '06. As Merc and Ikramerica already pointed out, the cosmetic redeux is already done. The E350 has the same wheel as the E320, so I have no reason to believe they will change the wheel on the C. If you get a car with a sport pkg, you will likely get Z-rated michellin energy tires.
    If you really need Bluetooth, you can have the factory or the dealer install a motorola V600 which is Bluetooth capable, but I tend to discourage folks from spending the money on those toys for two reasons: 1. the pace at which phone technology is galloping is much faster than the cars, versus the price paid for said phone. (upwards of $2K). 2. the sound quality and reception, and limited choices of service provider versus price paid will leave you very unsatisfied.
    If you want to be the first on your block with one, I'm sure the local dealers will be glad to get your name onto the list for orders. We take deposits in order of first come, then when your car gets allocated we call you, THEN you have to give specifics, or you can pull out, b/c by then they will have ordering info, if not pricing. I doubt prices will go up much. C-class prices have risen substantially in the last 1 1/2 years, IMO to accomodate the new motors, so they won't spike at launch. The big dealers in metro areas will probably get their first cars around mid to late summer. The second fiddles, like me, will see them around August or so. It's hard to predict, especially since they launched the M-class earlier than they said they would.
    In the meantime, if you can get out to a dealer and drive the SLK, it is the same platform, even tho it is a roadster, so it's the closest thing to what the C350 will be once it drops...
    Also, I have driven the latest 6-speed manual, and I can say that they have refined it immensely. Very smooth, less notchy, and 1st gear is not so short. :-)
This discussion has been closed.