Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, in MD it's covered under Comprehensive, mine is a $200 deductible.

-juice
  • Options
    jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Lots of people mention that they can not find a RAV4 Limited with leather. Well if your near Long Island NY, I saw one today at Atlantic Toyota. Loaded with everything except DVD and 3rd row. Beige color.

They have about 10 Ravs in stock. I did see a base there with $2900 of aftermarked stuff on it! Included sunroof, leather and heated seats plus a bunch of very expensive trim stuff. After market leather was listed at $1800 and heated seats at $800! After market leather seemed nicer than factory on the Limited.
  • Options
    dce33dce33 Member Posts: 6
    I already replaced my windshield with a new factory one as i posted it in my eary post #3612 and last Friday it got hit by a rock and cracked it again while i am driving beside a truck that is pulling a trailer. The cracked is like the size of a dime so i guess the shop will just repair it this time. I agree with mterrell that there is something wrong with this glass. So beware if you will be replacing your windshield you might want to opt for the non oem one.
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    How mysterious is a crack caused by a rock? Mine got damaged that way too but it isn't bulletproof glass. There are a lot of concrete trucks and trucks hauling earth moving equipment running around the highways these days. The equipment is rarely cleaned off adequately prior to being trucked (a pet peeve) and when the truck hits a bump in the road .. stuff goes flying.

I don't think you can blame the glass for not standing up to a stone. The one that hit my windshield was about the size of a quarter.
  • Options
    Well in almost 50 years of driving I have had lots of stones bang off my windshields, sometimes with a wicked sound and never had a crack! Small pock marks the size of a pencil eraser head but never a crack. And two cracks in the same car in a week. The probabllity might be one in millions.

As engineers might say, we have a trend here and a very bad one.
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    All of this information about easily broken windshields, Evap. canisters being knocked off when driving through puddles, and such is not showing up on discussions of other vehicles. I wonder if Toyota is trying to cut quality to cut costs due to the strong competition from Hyundai and the massive wave of new GM, Ford, and Chrysler products coming in 2007 and 2008?
  • Options
    jterrelljterrell Member Posts: 1
    I am the one that was driving the SUV at the time, and I assure you that I do not tailgate anyone. I was very annoyed when this happened. We just repaired the glass 15 days ago. This crack is bigger and is less than 12 inches from the other one. I think toyota is using inferior glass on these cars. I loved my RAV4 when we first got it but now i'm second and third guessing our decision. I called the dealership and they want me to have their glass technician look at it before I call Toyota. Too freaking late, already called them, and told them that my husband has reported it to the NHTSA or whatever it is.... in 20 years I never filed a comp or collision claim, until now, and two in 15 days. We might as well get friendly with the repair guy, because I think we are going to be putting his kids through college with insurance money. It does not even have 4000 miles on it! :sick:
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    This is a good question. I thought it was our area but it seems now that there are a HUGE number of earthmoving vehicles on the roads recently. Does anyone else note this? There is a lot of construction going on but I must be involved with at least 50 large dump trucks hauling stuff every day.
  • Options
    altaredaltared Member Posts: 12
    Did not have a problem finding a Limited V6 with leather in Canada in early May this year. Spouse bought one with the heated seats, etc. Dealer did say though that they were moving them as fast as they were coming in and that the 2006 inventory coming in was diminishing fast (we did look at the allocation/inventory sheets to find what was all available in Western Canada - and there wasn't very much).
  • Options
    altaredaltared Member Posts: 12
    Yes, quite annoying to have the recirculation tab light up by some auto system when A/C is turned off. Like...duh! I need to find some time to read the manual on whether this is an auto feature or whether there is a way to stop the thing from second guessing what I want when I have A/C off.
  • Options
    ptl4ptl4 Member Posts: 2
    I have been searching alot lately on the wiring harness trying to get ready to tow my tent trailer on vacation. I ordered just the tow prep pkg, then went looking for the pig tail to finish the wiring but couldn't find it. In searching I found out that US spec and Canada spec Rav4s are different. In Canada the wiring ends under the dash. Everyone else was telling me that I would find the end of the "Pre-Wiring" in the back compartment on the drivers side. I looked and looked to no avail, called the service dept, the tech I talked to hadn't run across this yet and had no idea where it might be. He did give me the number for Toyota Customer Service to ask them (1-800-331-4331). This I did and was once again told it is in that back compartment where the jack handle is stored. This time I used a mirror to look up into areas my hand couldn't reach. And I think I found it! I'm off to the dealer today to get the "experts" to verify this. And to buy the final part of the harness to run it to the outside.

Dave
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It is an automatic function, c-best, and you can have the dealer change from the current factory default to a no-op.
  • Options
    fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    Are there any rumors if the 2007 RAV4 will keep the same rear door design, or go with a hatch.
  • Options
    This much is certain. One of the key design characteristics of the RAV is the side opening door. It will remain this way for at least 4 more years. Probably longer. It's the design of the RAV4. The Highlander is a bottom opening hatch vehicle. It's how they are differentiated.
  • Options
    eljoeljo Member Posts: 1
    Stay clear of the Xterra. It made national news several weeks back about being tip-over proned. And it is no wonder, as it is too tall and narrow.
  • Options
    I though I posted this already. There is no harness to the rear of the 2006. You have to buy...$132 from Toyota and install it from the dash to the rear of the truck. Lots of work but not the end of the world. Lots of panels to remove and replace. There is much info on this around.
    This site is not very userfriendly in posting pictuers etc. But the info is out there. Just google 2006 RAV4 hitch harness etc.
  • Options
    jm005jm005 Member Posts: 1
    I also believe Toyota may have a problem with their windshields.Just picked up my new Rav 4 v-6 Thurs.June 22 Good excuse Sat. for a ride,and breakin period,to my favorite hunting and fishing outfitters store.I also do not follow to close to anyone, especially trucks.Came out to find a 10 to 12 inch long crack in my windshield.It starts in the center ,very bottom,up about 6 to 8 inches and 4 inches toward the drivers side.Nothing hit the windshield at all while I was driving.There are no marks chips dings nothing.I have 170 miles on my Rav, a cracked windshield and can't wait to see what kind of runaround I get.
  • Options
    I would say there that there are enough reports of this that it is more than just a few random cases. Your situration where it broke without any debris impact is the 2nd one I have seen on the net.
  • Options
    bcbob8bcbob8 Member Posts: 17
    Ouch! Why the cynicism? Toyota has a good rep, do they not? This is the second you've heard of? Out of how many tens of thousands sold? Better recall them all, eh!
  • Options
    friendly_jacekfriendly_jacek Member Posts: 96
    It's comical that people bash new RAV4 for being too long not realizing that it is actually SHORTER than corolla. RAV4 is 181 inches while corolla is rated as 178. However, the extra 3 inches are coming from the rear tire. If you measure bumper to bumper, RAV4 is shorter! It is more maneuverable than my corolla, or any similar compact car!
    I initially disliked the swinging door design, but now it grows on me and it's kind of cool.
    I guess if one has to have a hatch, highlinder is the answer.
  • Options
    friendly_jacekfriendly_jacek Member Posts: 96
    Untrue info, its more than 760 lbs. The 2006 RAV4 payload is rated in US as 850 lbs for 5-passenger and 1350 lbs for 7-passender version, as per the car manual. I learned that 7-passenger uses different springs/sway bars.
    Not trying to start a war but just to clarify :-)
  • Options
    hells_bellshells_bells Member Posts: 21
    For those of you who drove the sport vs the Base/Limited, can you tell a difference in the Sport Suspension?
  • Options
    Yes, I have driven all models and several Sports. Handling on all models is pretty good, especialy for a truck.
    The Sport is a little tighter and quicker it seems. You will also feel the bumps and road strips a little more.

I liked it but you should test drive it as not everyone here likes the slightly firmer ride.

And the 18" wheels are very nice along with the dark interior.
  • Options
    hells_bellshells_bells Member Posts: 21
    Yes, I've heard alot of people like the dark interior. Too bad it doesn't come with factory leather (but dealer add on is always an option....).
  • Options
    silverphxsilverphx Member Posts: 41
    So it seems that the Toyota Hitch has more bolts/connectors than the typical after-market tow hitch (which appears to have just the four bolts/connectors)??? Any thoughts from anyone on whether that means the actual Toyota Brand hitch will be a stronger/better hitch? Just curious because the Toyota hitch is A LOT more expensive than the aftermarket hitch and if the aftermarket hitch is just as good, I'm gonna buy it instead.
  • Options
    I think the real question here is are both hitches capable of safely handling the design load. I purchased and installed a Hidden Hitch. As a structural engineer, I feel confident that it is securely mounted to the frame. The stronger/better issue becomes irrelevant unless you're planning on exceeding the design load. However I doubt that the mechanical connection to the frame would be the likely failure point anyway.
  • Options
    96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    Yes. I drove a sport 5 passenger w/17 in rims and a base 7 passenger w/16 inch rims. The sport is much tigher and gives a rougher ride than the base I drove.
  • Options
    Sport is 18" wheels with good handling. One thing I noticed on all V6 RAVs is much torgue steer. You have to pay attention to this as a quick accel at speed will cause some lane drift. I am sure after 1000 miles it would become 2nd nature in driving.
  • Options
    Is you RAV 2WD? I haven't experienced anything like this.
  • Options
    760 lbs is the payload for the 05 and earlier models.

The Element is only rated for 675 lbs payload.

-juice
  • Options
    quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    My V6 4WD has very strong torque steer at full throttle, as JimD4 stated, a lane change even at 60-70mph while passing can be exciting if you aren't ready for it, oversteering is real easy until you get used to it.

I would strongly suggest that anyone with a new V6 to familiarize themselves with full throttle handling characteristics after break-in, it's quite surprising to say the least.
  • Options
    I don't own one but I have driven several v6s for extended test drives. Several people here have reported lots of torgue steer. I think it was in one of the tests also. Not the end of the world.
  • Options
    See, I was not drunk when I drove those V6s!

But I am going to still buy probably when the 2007s come out though the windshield cracks and paint chip business bothers me.
  • Options
    Quickdtoo, is your RAV4 a Sport?
  • Options
    quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    No, it's a base.
  • Options
    wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    I have a 2006 RAV4 V6 Limited 4WD. Yesterday I was stopped at a stop light when the light turned green and the three cars in front of me slowly accelerated. I gave it a little gas and accelerated slowly. Then, at about 10 MPH, the car in front of me slowed, so I simply took my foot of the accelerator pedal. At that instant, I heard, and felt, a loud "Thunk" sound from the tranny. It's only happened once and at 2800 miles. I've heard of the 4 cylinder RAV4's making a similar sound. Has anyone else had this happen on the V6? It hasn't happened again since.
    On the bright side, I just got my best MPG yet at 24.9, with about 50-50 HWY-City. Considering I got stuck in a 3 mile traffic jam, moving about 10 MPH, that's pretty darned good! A week before, I had my worst fill-up at 18.70 MPG, mostly city with traffic jams.
    As for tourque steer issues mentioned recently, I really haven't noticed it much.
  • Options
    carnivorecarnivore Member Posts: 19
    >>This much is certain. One of the key design characteristics of the RAV is the side opening door.

And this much is certain, that was the deal-breaker for me. To me, the whole point of an SUV, even a smaller one, is cargo capacity. If I wanted to be stuck at Home Depot with no way to fit a 2x4, a tree or any other long item into my vehicle I would just buy a car. But I want my sport "utility" vehicle to have, at the very least, a flip-up rear window you can let a long item stick out the back and tie a red flag onto it. And if the whole hatch flipped up it would allow a very large item like an appliance to stick out the back, and then you could just bungee the hatch in place for a short trip home. In fact I've done all these things with my old '91 Mustang hatchback, I even put a full-size electric range into the back by leaving the hatch "up", secured with a rope for the ride home. But you can't bungee a door that swings out. If I upgrade from a car to an SUV, I want even more cargo versatility, not less!

The swing out door is a stupid, stupid design flaw, and the fact that it swings out the wrong direction (toward the curb) makes it even worse.

I'm so disappointed. Everything else about this vehicle was just about perfect, I was all set to buy one but that rear door was a fatal flaw.
  • Options
    Actually this may be a "normal" thing once in a while. Very rarely in similar conditions, my Audi does a similar thing as I am guessing that we are catching the transmission between shifts. In my car it happens maybe a few times a year, usually when going from a slow decel to a slow accel or vice versa.
  • Options
    This is why God made delivery services!
  • Options
    and roof racks. I've already hauled 6 sheets of plywood on my roof rack. It's the perfect place for things like that.
    I'm pretty sure a washing machine would fit inside.
  • Options
    fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    I agree,hold out for the 2007 Honda CR-V.
    It will be a hatch.
  • Options
    carnivorecarnivore Member Posts: 19
    >>This is why God made delivery services!

You're kidding me, right? Why would I want to spend $22,000+ on a vehicle that should be able to haul my cargo, only to have to call a delivery service when it doesn't fit? How dumb.
  • Options
    silverphxsilverphx Member Posts: 41
    Thanks. If its stong enough for a structural engineer--its strong enough for me.

I still haven't heard from anyone who has actually towed anything behind the new V6 RAV? How has it handled? What were you towing? Uphill? Downhill?
  • Options
    I'm sure a washing machine would fit, on its side at least, I crammed one inside my Forester, hatch closed.

Get a roof rack folks, who needs a pickup?

-juice
  • Options
    wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    I prefer the swing out door to either a tail gate or a hatchback type. First of all, I rarely park on the street, and being over 6 ft tall makes hatchbacks dangerous if they don't go high enough. I frequently carry a bike in the back and the swing out gate makes it a breeze to put in and take out. Same goes for anything else. My only complaint about the swing gate is once in my small one car garage, I cannot open the door all the way. No problem, with my Camry, I unloaded outside anyway, then brought in the car. It would have been nice though to have the rear window be able to open and close.
  • Options
    dldavedldave Member Posts: 46
    I completely agree, the window should flip open. I currently own a Land Rover Discovery and it too has a big rear door with no ability to open the window. What a huge pain to tie things to the roof when they would mostly fit inside!

It would sure be nice to have a rear window that opens so I don't have to put the kayak rack on the vehicle every time I want to take them out to the lake. I was able to fit the two kayaks in a friends CRV and it took 5 minutes to do so. It would have taken 45 minutes to do the same thing with the Discovery because I would have had to install the carriers to the rack, get the kayaks up there (with a ladder!), tie them down to the rack, and then tie them to the front and rear of the vehicle. I then would have had to repeat the process to take them off, put them back on, then take them off again at home. I spend more time doing this than being out on the lake.

So, for those who have no need for an opening rear window, let me be the first to tell you that it sure comes in handy.

I would have traded in my Infiniti for this had the rear window opened. The CRV is currently a much nicer vehicle than the CRV.
  • Options
    soopereddsooperedd Member Posts: 32
    Ditto wizzo-I am over 6 ft tall and I am always hitting my head on my Mitsubishi's hatch, right on the latch, and it hurts a lot. So, I like the swinging door on the RAV, I get far fewer headaches with it.
  • Options
    I spend more time doing this than being out on the lake.

:D

A rear lift gate would be fine on a vehicle this tall. Even tall folks would have plenty of clearance.

-juice
  • Options
    This design has been with the RAV and the CRV since they both invented the mini-SUV segment in the mid 90's. Just as with any vehicle it cannot appeal to every taste and need. Apparently with the enormous demand and the more than doubling of sales the major portion of the market does like the vehicle and its design.

It's not like this is something new for the Gen3 RAV. It's always been like this. That's why the Highlander at the same size is a bottom opening hatch. Consumers have both choices. :)
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Years back, friend had a CRV. Both of us at times had some long stuff that we thought we could stick out the rear of the opening rear window that the Rav lacks. Guess what? More often than not, the opening was too small, so it was useless. Unless you have something very long and very skinny (both height and width), you are still going to need to use a roof rack or another vehicle.

Yes, an opening rear window helps SOMETIMES, for a FEW people, for SOME loads, but NOT that often.

I have hauled 2x4x8's in Corollas, older Ravs, etc. with no problems.

Just another opinion....