Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent

Comments

• inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    Amen to that.
    Niels
  • acronisacronis Member Posts: 29
    2nd and third that. Whew!
    Back on topic.....
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    And how did you get those two dots to appear over the "o"? These tricky hosts!

You can copy and paste from Character Map (Windows) or hold down the alt key and type in 0758.

ööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö
  • azera25azera25 Member Posts: 45
    Yes, I'm tired of hearing Germancarfans biased rants that are completely off topic. I'm here to discuss Hyundai, not read about other cars I have absolutely no interest in.

Thanks, kirstie_h.
  • kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    Thank you Kristie. You're doing a great job! :P
  • meatycheesyboymeatycheesyboy Member Posts: 14
    Isn't ironic that since Kirstie reprimanded us, no one has actually spoken about the Accent?

Does anyone have any ideas what kinds of options will be available (dealer installed)? The original press release talked about 150+ different options but if you go to the Hyundai Canada website, it is a far cry from 150+... more like 15+ options.

I was seriously hoping to have enough customization available that I could make an Accent hatch that almost looked like the Accent SR concept but alas, it appears that will not be the case unless someone knows otherwise?
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    Does anyone have any ideas what kinds of options will be available (dealer installed)?

From what I've heard there will be a cold air intake, interior light kit, and subwoofer among other things. I have a 2007 brochure at home that briefly touches on only a few of the accessories available for the Accent. I'll check it out again tonight.
  • ross14ross14 Member Posts: 36
    At some point, the year 2007 should be considered, since both 4 door & hatchback are now 2007 models.
  • bluedusk73bluedusk73 Member Posts: 1
    I finally got to test drive a 2007 Accent and grab a brochure showing some cool new pics and '07 color and cloth swatches. I felt the automatic transmission shifted smoothly but the 1.6L engine responded slowly when punching it into passing gear, though its 37 mpg rating is a respectable tradeoff. Plus, my insurance quote with the Accent's smaller engine and standard safety features was $200 cheaper annually than a Ford Focus ZX3 with its 2.0L engine. I'm still waiting to compare the SE's suspension with the currently available GS trim.

I like how Hyundai locates the ignition facing the driver where it's easier to access than a side-mounted key slot. The wide side mirrors provide great rear visibility and fold in for more space in a tight garage. The locking fuel door is a good feature. The door handles are nice and tight (compared to the loose feel of Focus and Reno) and the rear hatch handle is well hidden under the tailgate molding.

However, the rear cargo area is not flat with the seats down (Focus also has this inconvenient two-level step design). And you have to remove the rear headrests to lower the seatbacks. The rear split bench seat has an awkward release system and reduces the driver's leg room when folded up. The pivoting rear deck lid gets in the way while loading cargo since it's not tethered to the hatch. The driver's armrest is good, but a center armrest console with storage would be better. The seat belt is anchored too far back -- belts that far back on other cars have a seat-mounted guide. And there's no cruise control option on any Accent trim.

Hyundai, why does the automatic transmission cost $1,000 on the GS and SE hatchback but only $850 on the GLS sedan? If I want a sunroof, why am I forced to buy the stereo upgrade? I thought the dealer-installed customizing options were your selling point for the new Accent -- when will the complete list and prices be available?

Are there any after-marketers out there working on Accent personalization? Hyundai's $150 for color face gauges seems steep. Also excessive is $3,500 for the SE upgrades. Rebates and deep dealer discounts are mandatory for the new Accent to be the value-priced vehicle expected from Hyundai. Otherwise, there's plenty of other options, such as Focus ZX3 SES, Versa hatch, and Cobalt LT coupe. The longer we hold out on buying the '07 Accent, the sooner we'll see Hyundai begin offering rebates!
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    I don't recall any press release from Hyundai indicating the hatchback would have 150+ accessories to personalize. 30 accessories is already a lot on ANY car, and I believe Hyundai has about 35 planned.

Imagine, what would an Accent cost, if it had 150+ accessories and all added ;)
    You're absolutely right, the Accent press release said 35+ options, I think I was thinking of a recnt Scion press release. My mistake and my apologies.
  • kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    I went to two Hyundai dealers and they both were out of stock on the hatch Accents. They both sold within one day of their arrivals. How retarded is that? I would hope Hyundai would be smart enough to know how hot their Accent hatch is and would market it and send them to the dealers asap. Maybe I'm too simple minded. It just makes sense to me. I have yet to test drive it. I sat in it and it has much more head room than my Elantra. Surprising... And I have a rather long torso.
    The review was what I wanted to see, especially the part about the handling but it does aound like the Accent could do with another 20 hp. Ahh well...

And what's that about the SR being released in Canada only?
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Because the Accent SR Concept was popular at the 2005 Frankfurt show, Hyundai announced that it will produce an SR version for next September. :D A Canada-exclusive model, :mad: the Accent SR will be equipped with a bunch of accessories that should please those who like small cars with hot looks. Including anti-lock brakes with electronic brake force distribution, six airbags, a sunroof, a ground-effects body kit with fender flares, 17-inch wheels with P215/45R17 tires, a chrome exhaust tip and special trim on the inside, the Accent SR will be available in three colours: black, red and silver. Pricing has not yet been announced.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    I wonder what were their sources to state the Accent SR would be a Canada-exclusive model :confuse: Unless it came from Hyundai, I would not take it as confirmation but merely as speculations. To the best of my knowledge, there are a lot of conflicting stories about the SR destiny as a production vehicle - as such, I would just wait for official confirmation from Hyundai.
    The Versa has a six speed manual but as far as I know, it is the only one.

But I do have a question, what should an engine rev at when the car is going 75 mph? Does anyone know numbers on cars like the Fit, the Yaris, etc.?
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Same rpm as my VW Golf Mk IV with 2.0 and stickshift. Was peppy on the freeway though.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I found an Accent GS at a dealer in Kyle, TX where I am visiting this week. I had 15 minutes to kill the other day and the dealership is right across the highway from where I am staying, so I went over to take a look. It was a lime green automatic with A/C and stereo, list about $13.4k. I thought the interior was pretty nice for an inexpensive subcompact, but it was black with lighter inserts in the seats--not a color I like too much. I prefer the lighter-colored interiors in the 4-door. The other killer on the GS is that it doesn't have ABS available even as an option. So IMO the SE hatchback or the GLS sedan are better values.

P.S. This is the dealer that is offering new '06 Accents with automatic for $9900. I confirmed that they don't have A/C. No wonder they are offering $4k off--not sure who would buy a $10k car in Central Texas w/o A/C these days. Makes a great teaser ad, though. ;)
    Meh, it's not that high to begin with, and the automatic has taller gearing. If you want to run just above idle at 80 mph, go buy a Corvette. The V6 Tiburon has an optional 6-speed.
    You forgot to factor in tire size and the final drive ratio.

Fit manual: 0.757 x 4.294 final, 175/65-14 tires = 3570 rpm @ 75 mph
    Fit auto: 0.550 x 4.562 final, 175/65-14 tires = 2755 rpm @ 75 mph

Accent manual: 0.84 x 4.06 final, 175/70-14 tires = 3636 rpm @75 mph
    Accent auto: 0.69 x 4.04 final, 175/70-14 tires = 2972 rpm @75 mph

And, just for kicks:
    Versa manual: 0.8108 x 3.9333 final, 185/65-15 tires = 3286 rpm @ 75 mph
    Versa CVT: 0.427 x 5.473 final, 185/65-15 tires = 2408 rpm @ 75 mph
    Versa auto: 0.697 x 4.072 final, 185/65-15 tires = 2924 rpm @ 75 mph

So if it really bothers you that much, get the CVT Versa or just drive a little slower. Most destinations will still be there if you drive 60 instead of 75.
    FWIW, I've driven a '06 Accent automatic at 70 mph (top speed for the freeways in my region) and it was pleasantly quiet for a small car. I haven't driven the stick shift car yet, but C/D did and found it was the quietest at 70 mph vs. the Fit, Versa, Caliber, Yaris, Rio5, and Reno. It was actually as quiet as the Accord EX V6!
  • careyscottcareyscott Member Posts: 2
    Fact is that for the first half of the year Hyundai has not been shipping many 2 door models (always the most popular model). Considering availability and the fact that it was well known that a completely re-tooled 2007 2 door was on the way and the drop in sales is hardly surprising or alarming. I wouldn't look for a big rebound in the 2nd half of 2006 either as Hyundai is obviously not stocking dealers so they don't have to discount a 2007 so close to the end of 2006. Buyers will probably find that lots fill up with the new Accent Hatch in the fall as the rest of the 2007's arrive. If they don't move look for rebates in the 1st quarter of next year and possibly bigger ones in late summer 2007. Realistically the price point seems like a gamble as this segment is getting really competitive but of the big players only the Yaris, Accent and Rabbit come as 2 doors. Not many singles shopping for a city car want what is fast becoming a popular Mommy SVU\minivan replacement like the Fit.
    Interesting they didn't mention the Accent (or Entourage or Tiburon for that matter).
  • enkaenka Member Posts: 35
    Hyundai has record in 2006 june sold more than 44 thousand cars thats really good and it says that its a all time record in Hyundai history in U.S. I also seen Honda Fit sales Accent sold more than the Fit its problly because the 3 door hatchbacks are avalible right now. I saw one at the dealer it has a great looking interior and you can customize it with acceserios. Good Job Hyundai... Good Sales
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    I like the new Accent.

BUT - I would really like to know if (1) it will have cruise in the sedan by 07 and (2) if some sport trim version of the sedan (with the nice wheels, ground effects, and fog lights - JUST like the wee hatch gets in sport trim) will ever be available.

If the answers to (1) and (2) were yes, I'd put my deposit down tomorrow morning.
    Accent sales soared in June because the 3 door hatchback is now out.
    2007 Accent 3-door isn't at the dealers near me quite yet. I did see one GS when I was in Texas a couple of weeks ago.

Since Hyundai said nothing about a 4-door SE version when they announced the 2007 Accent lineup, it doesn't look like there will be one coming in the near future.
  • acronisacronis Member Posts: 29
    '07 3 dr Accent is at the local Hyundai dealer in my area, of S. Fla. It maybe that Hyundai stocks inventory based on volumne of sales in certain regions. Here in S. Florida there are Hyundais everywhere.
    There are Hyundais everywhere in the Twin Cities also. I think it has more to do with how far a dealer is from a port. They will probably show up any day here.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Member Posts: 352
    I was at the dealership last week, and the salesman said that every dealer got 1 2007 Accent 3-door. So maybe your local dealer sold theirs already.
    Did he mean nationwide? My local dealer (Everett WA) has been getting 2-5 every week for the past 2-3 weeks. But perhaps its because we're so close to a major port city (Seattle).
    Believe it or not, my local Hyundai dealer recently got in a new 2007 Hyundai Accent SE. I stopped by for a test drive this morning.

First, the basics. It was a Tango Red SE with the Sun and Sound package and auto transmission (in other words, as expensive and top-of-the-line as you can get for an Accent). The sticker was $16,830 :surprise: which included destination but no rebates, taxes, title, etc. Pretty expensive territory for an Accent. But boy did it look sharp! :shades:

Exterior wise, the 16 inch wheels really make this car stand out. Panel gaps were narrow and the large doors closed shut with a solid "whump". This is a Hyundai?!? Wow, compared to my 5 year old Elantra, Hyundai has come a long way forward in build quality. I liked the reddish-orange color, and the paint seemed uniform and of consistent quality. The rear hatch opens just like my Elantra by pulling on a concealed handle hidden above the license plate. The hatch is much more lightweight than the Elantra, and is supported by gas struts on both sides. A downside; the rear cargo cover does not move up when you open the hatch, although it is removable. Exterior likes: the foglights in the front bumper, the side marker turn signal lights (new on the sedan as well), the 16 inch wheels, the styled rear lights, the rear spoiler, big heated and foldable rear side mirrors. Exterior dislikes: the color-coded Hyundai emblem on the front grill, no chrome tail pipe exhaust finisher (may be an accessory?), no body side moldings to help prevent door dings.

Interior impressions in the next post...
    Interior wise, I can see where Hyundai spent a lot of the money they charge you for this car. Everything fit well together and many things (like the sunglasses holder near the sunroof controls) opened with fluid precision. Very nice! The sunroof itself is glass and both tilts up and has a one-touch slide open feature. Two map lights are present and work with individual switches.

The climate control switchgear is electronic in nature (very precise and no "rubber band" feel at all), with separate buttons for AC and recirc. There is a MAX AC setting on the vent selector dial that automatically activates the AC and recirc functions. Simulated carbon fiber surrounds the radio, which included a 6-disc CD changer and a cassette. Pushing the audio button brings up selections for Bass, Midrange :) and Treble settings, as well as balance and fade. I briefly listened to the audio via a local FM station and the sound was good, with sold bass. I think there should be more treble response, but that could just be my old ears :blush:

There are 2 individual trip meters selected by a flush button to the left of the steering wheel. The steering wheel itself is wrapped in leather and is a nice 3 pointer. Instrumentation includes a tachometer, temp, fuel and speedometer gauges.

Seats are comfortable, especially the driver's seat which includes an 8 way adjustment. The hip point seems to be higher in the Accent compared to my Elantra, which makes for a better view of the road and easier entry and exit. Another downside; reaching for the seatbelt from the driver's seat after I had adjusted it to my frame required a little more stretching and arm bending than I would normally like. There is an armrest attached to the right side of the driver's seat which can be flipped up when not in use. The armrest does not include any storage space.

What really surprised me was the amount of room in the back seat area. I'm only 5'8", but entering the back seat from the passenger side was easier than I thought. Once in the back, I had plenty of head and knee room, but forget about putting 3 people back there.

Driving impressions coming up...
    Driving the SE was a pleasant surprise. Considering the test drive included two people (myself and the sales rep) with the AC on max, the SE fared better than just me driving my current Elantra. It is no pocket rocket by any stretch of the imagination, however. Acceleration from a dead stop was leisurely, and the engine made a fair amount of noise when pushed to the upper reaches of the powerband. The four-speed auto is probably the biggest culprit here, even though shifts were smooth and quick, with none of the shift flair I am getting from my Elantra.

At normal cruising speed, the Accent was very quiet. Bumps were quickly absorbed without fuss. I was worried that the "sport tuned suspension" of the SE would translate into a harsh ride, but it wasn't that bad. What I really wanted to do was to take some corners at speed to see what the SE could do, and I got the chance.

On a twisty two lane road behind the dealership, I dropped speed behind a slow moving minivan in front of me to open up some space between us. Making sure that no one was behind me and the lane was cleared up front, I brought the Accent up to speed. Approaching a hard right corner, the sales rep beside me said something about holding on as he grabbed the handle mounted to the right above his head.

I took the corner at speed without touching the brakes. The Accent picked a line and stuck with it, even as I accelerated out of the turn. Body roll was minimal, the tires did not make a sound, and I had a big grin on my face as I exited the turn. Who needs straight line performance? :P

When all was said and done, I got out of the car, returned the keys to the sales rep and walked around the Accent one more time. The SE is a VERY nice car, but at $16.8K there are probably some better alternatives out there. Still, once the rebates kick in and there is more of a selection (I got the distinct impression that dealing on this car would be near impossible since the sales rep kept saying it was the only Accent of its kind in the tri-state area), I may be back to trade in my Elantra.
    Thanks for the thorough review!

It is interesting that the price of the loaded Accent SE is within about $1000 of a loaded Elantra GT, which includes leather, moonroof, and ABS but not the CD changer or side curtain airbags--or 16" wheels. So I expect the price of the Elantra GT to move up for 2007.

$16.8k does seem like a lot for an Accent, but this is an Accent like no other before it. When you consider the equipment level and refinement of the car, it can be compared to cars like the Rabbit 3-door and Fit Sport. The Rabbit offers a lot more power and more interior room, and has excellent driving dynamics (I can't compare to the Accent yet because I haven't driven the Accent SE). But it doesn't have the feature content of the Accent SE, e.g. moonroof, CD changer with subwoofer, and little things like leather steering wheel cover and a more adjustable seat cushion. But the Rabbit offers a 6-speed Tiptronic automatic and optional stability control; alloys are optional also. The Fit offers the versatility of a 5-door and its Magic Seats, and the 5-speed automatic with paddle shifters, but lacks things that the Accent has like moonroof, height-adjustable driver's seat, dead pedal, and lighted vanity mirrors.

And let's not forget the Versa, which for about the price of the Accent SE can be had with CVT and nice features like Bluetooth. And it's more powerful than the Accent and has a lot more interior room.

All in all I expect the Accent SE will have a tough time competing against cars like the Rabbit 3-door, Fit, and Versa at full MSRP. So I think discounts and rebates will be coming in the not too-distant future.
    Kirstie, now that the 2007 Accents are out, should the title of this discussion be changed, maybe to "2006+ Hyundai Accent"?
    All in all I expect the Accent SE will have a tough time competing against cars like the Rabbit 3-door, Fit, and Versa at full MSRP. So I think discounts and rebates will be coming in the not too-distant future.

That's my thinking as well. Considering that the car I drove is the first (and apparently only) Accent SE in the surrounding area, I was reluctant to talk numbers with the sales rep. Sorry, but I don't want to pay for the "privilege" of being the first Accent SE owner on the block!

I'll probably bide my time and see what comes down the road at a later date. Besides, not having to make a monthly car payment is a benefit I'm not too keen on giving up. ;)
    4.5 out of 5

"Hyundai has another winner"

http://cars.about.com/od/hyundai/fr/ch_07accent3dr.htm
  • djindjin Member Posts: 5
    $12,450 is a bargain too and yet the Nissan Versa has a 6 speed manual.
    Nice article. The review mirrors my experiences with the Accent SE during my test drive.
    Yes, the 6-speed in the Versa is a plus. But to get a Versa equipped like the Accent SE will cost you a lot more than $12,450. For one thing, you'd need to move up to the Versa SL and add ABS to it. But you also get two more doors and more interior space in the Versa.
  • jrtny04jrtny04 Member Posts: 17
    $16,800 for an accent se, it seems to me thats a bit much. i think hyundai just priced me out of the market.
    i think just on principle alone ill take a close look at the upcoming vw rabbit
    Not upcoming any more--it's here.
    $16,800 for an accent se, it seems to me thats a bit much.

Precisely why I am waiting to see if Hyundai offers any rebates on the 2007 Accent. In my state there is a $1000 rebate on the 2006 Accent good through the end of July, but nothing available yet on the 2007 models.

Patience, however, is not one of my virtues!
  • jrtny04jrtny04 Member Posts: 17
    even with a $1k rebate, that is still a lot of $$ for an accent. what is msrp on the rabbit
    An Accent SE starts at $14.6k with 5-speed stick. A Rabbit 3-door with 5-speed stick and 16" alloys is about $16k. The $16.8k was for a fully loaded Accent with automatic, moonroof (not available on the Rabbit 3-door), and CD changer with cassette.
  • harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    They need more hatches designed like that, on larger Hyundais.