Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz CLK (2006 and newer)

Comments

• oahu50oahu50 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me where I can obtain photo's and spec's of the 07 clk 350 with the performance package, and the clk550, I'm desperately debating which car to lease or purchase, Thanks for the help (tommy
  • tla1963tla1963 Member Posts: 8
    It's a fun car with the sport package BUT is it worth the extra $15k???? All in all you might want to see if you can get a deal on a 06 clk55 since the clk63 is about to come out....might be a good time to steal an 06
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Actually the 07' will have 382hp and 391 lb-ft of torque, quite a difference. The model changes from CLK500 to CLK550.

M
  • squelch_oilsquelch_oil Member Posts: 2
    I was seriously considering the 06 CLK55 AMG. After a good deal of haggling though, we just couldn't agree on the price. As I was about to bid them good day, the sales rep mentioned that they received an 07 CLK550 yesterday, and that it might be more in my price range. So, I drove it. Holy crap, that thing has just as much, if not more, oompf then the old AMG. The price is about $20k less as well. So frankly, they can keep the AMG, I'll take the CLK550. The AMG has a few more baubles, but for 20k I can live without them I think.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Oh yes the 07' CLK550 has 382hp compared to 362hp and the CLK550 even has more torque so I think you'll be more than happy with a "mere" CLK550! Now don't test drive a CLK63...lol!

M
  • tla1963tla1963 Member Posts: 8
    Yea don't go near the clk63...it's like heroin or crack..one drive and you're hooked.....BUT my 06clk500 cab has been sitting in the shop for 6 weeks waiting for a new top to be shipped from the factory..has anyone had problems with their tops??
  • squelch_oilsquelch_oil Member Posts: 2
    Don't worry, I'm staying away from the dealership for a while I hope! I drove the CLK 550 home this evening. Every time I hit the accelerator I kept thinking, "Damn, I haven't had a speeding ticket in 15 years...oh well!" =)
  • johnnyd51johnnyd51 Member Posts: 1
    What can I do to make this beautiful automobile even slightly functional in the snow. I bought mine new this past September, and have only recently decided to bring it out on snowy roads. I was driving to Northern Michigan yesterday, in a snowstorm. All was well on the interstate, but my street hadn't been plowed, and there was about 8 inches of untracked snow, and 150 yards between me and my driveway. I abandoned the car at the side of the road after struggling to advance about 15 yards. The wheels were spinning, I was trying to rock the car ahead, all to no avail. It was useless. Any advice? I can survive the winter if the roads are plowed, but this deep snow was a show stopper. Thanks.
  • kfishkinkfishkin Member Posts: 1
    Saw your message; what did the dealer do to fix it and did it happen again. I have a 2005 500CLK- last week the engine, lights, all went out while on the freeway going 0 mph - able to get to side of road. Car is currently at dealer and I'm afraid to drive it again. What has been your experience? Thanks kf
  • ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    can ANY1 TELL< when is the new clk class coming, i mean the next generation clk class??? when is it coming 2008 2009? does any1 know?
  • mikewdcmikewdc Member Posts: 2
    I read that Mercedes has an iPod integration kit for certain models 2004 and later. Does anyone know if this will work with a 2004 CLK500 (with 6-CD changer)? Anyone have any experience with it? Thanks!
  • mikewdcmikewdc Member Posts: 2
    I used to live in Michigan too! Even old enough to remember studded snow tires!!!

Anyway, I would get some real snow tires for the rear. Also, turn the ESP (stability control) OFF. Sometimes you need to be able to spin the tires to get out of a snowdrift, etc.
  • daisy10daisy10 Member Posts: 4
    My air conditioner cooling fan will not shut off even when the unit is turned off and the car is turned off. Anyone have that problem? A fix for it?
  • rolandthrustrolandthrust Member Posts: 14
    my 2000 430 has 23,000 miles and after 2 sets of Michelin pilots I went to the ToyoProxes 4`s at about half the price. The tire dealer noted 3 of the four aluminun orig equiptment wheels have a slight bend in them. Question: will this make for less tire life? and if so ,can this be corrected with out the expense of new wheels. Appreciate any advise.....Bowser
  • cneffcneff Member Posts: 65
    I have an '06 CLK and love the car but the rims do seem to bend in a strong side wind - actually New England roads after winter are torture. I got a quote for $325 each to replace or $125 each to straighten (one they just re balanced). I had them straightened - I have a short lease so if I make it through I'm ahead of the game. As far as the wear it has been 4 months and the tires look ok. Hope this helps.
    hi cneff thanx for relaying your experience with these rims. I think I`ll go for straightening them . Do you have any idea where yours were done ? No one locally has proper equiptment here? thanx R Thrust
    Mercedes Benz of Morristown NJ has a guy that does the work, not that close to you. But if you are in the area call ahead since the guy is not there everyday. I would think most MB dealers have a guy they use, bent rims are pretty common around Northeast roads. Good luck
  • benztunerbenztuner Member Posts: 76
    Mercedes Benz generations. Mercedes-Benz has learned its lesson. The W107 SL was sold for nearly 20 years, the car's exterior was changed VERY LITTLE, imagine having the same basic SL for that long with only moldings being changed. Those days are gone. In the early 2000's, 01-02 Mercedes-Benz released a press release saying that from now on, Mercedes Benz would only keep a current model for 3-5 years at the most without changing it. In other words, the W208 CLK which was made in 2000 is nolonger made. The newer CLK is the W209, so I would think we should see a new CLK in a couple years give or take. Mercedes-Benz has had the W211 E class out for a few years now and this year they gave it a facelift so I dont look for that car to be around much longer. Also another good indicator of when they'er about to bring a new model out is the AMG model cars. When the AMG model car has been out for about a year and a half or 2 years you can look for a new model. And just as Mercedes did with the CLK they took the 430 and upgraded it to the new 550 engine, I would look for them to increase horsepower in the next generation CLK as well. The real changes in these cars is what you cant see. Mercedes-Benz like many other luxury car makers have started using Aluminum, Magnesium, Boron, etc in their cars. Because of the gas issues Aluminum has become the new favorite metal for exterior and some structural members, because it weighs less and is still strong.
  • bryangmdbryangmd Member Posts: 27
    Hello,

I have an 06 CLK350 Cab. Recently I've hears a metal creaking coming (I think it's coming from)form above the sun visor on the driver side. I think it might be the piece on top part of the windshield, before the top. I think it might be flexing since I only hear it at high speeds. Any one else heard anything similar?
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    Yet another problem. Today I popped my trunk open and then went to close it (car sat all week) and the red brake light in the trunk literally popped out of the trunk. Seems it cracked off. Meanwhile, assembly has fallen into trunk. Anyone else have this happen? Receptionist at dealer said she's heard of it.

I really am not happy with quality of this car. This is my second CLK cabriolet and quality sucks.
    I've experienced that brake light falling out twice - it is a bad design. The rest of the car has been above average for reliability for a Mercedes - I am pleased with that as I've had MBs in the past that got homesick when they left the dealer. Though they are still far more reliable then the Audi I had and the service I've been receiving has been very good.
    Thanks very much. Any chance they will try and tell me I broke it so not covered under warranty (car is 2.5 years old)? It looks like the assembly that holds the light is loose and that caused the red reflector cover to get broken off from the assembly. Any info you have on this that would help me avoid confrontation at dealer will help. The reason I ask is this past summer my radio would not work and they tried to get my wife to say I had an accident. They replaced it and did other things and after over a week they figured out it was an amplifier. Anyway, any info you could pass on would be very much appreciated.
    Sounds like you may want to find another dealer if they give you issues. The car is covered for 4 yrs or 50k miles - whichever comes first. The brake light is a defect (I'm sure known) and I had the same problem with the plastic cracking, silly me for using the trunk. The dealer never gave me a problem. In fact, whatever I question they investigate and repair it without question or if it is user error (it happens) they take the time to explain it to me. I also have a radio issue - when using the ipod connection (crystal clear when not using MB system) I get hissing sounds, they replaced all the wiring and other items, it is better but not great - they told me to bring it back if needed (no issue). Service has been good for years with MB and me - of course the dealer is the real supporter - I'm in NJ.

The dealer should not point a finger at you, this is why I will never go back to Audi, it was all I ever got...everything was my fault even if the mechanic witnessed the actual failure - they even wrote it in the repair....truly pathetic. Sorry don't want to get harping on that brand, wrong forum (though I made some posts there)

Bottom line bill124 your car is under warranty, it is expensive and MB, especially the dealer) should not give you any hassle. Good luck
    Thanks very much. I bring it in tomorrow morning and will hear what they say. Will be looking at 08 next year, unless I go to something else to avoid these annoyances..

Bill
    Dealer acknowledged that brake light is not my fault -- never questioned me on it at all.

Dealer then said my 2005, with about 15K miles on it, is showing wear on rear tires and that life on the tires is 15-20K miles. Anyone else have this experience or hear this? He said I probably have another 1-2K miles left and given that car goes back in May, I will likely ride it out.
    dealer is right - you are lucky if you get close to 18k so you are right on target. I'm at 16k and right now they look at home on the drag strip
    hey Bill 124 ,15000 miles on a set of CLK tires is not bad, regardless of the brand.First. they can`t be rotated if the front and back tires are different widths and most performance autos are. Second ,the alloy wheels bend very easily causing uneven tread wear. I have a 430 CLK cabrio with 23,000 miles and all 4 wheels are bent to some degree.The price per wheel runs over $300.. I`ve changed from Pilots to Toyo`s . So far they`re fine and considerably cheaper. I avoid every pothole like the plague....(Roland Thrust)
    Thanks for the replies on tires.

Does anyone know how to turn off or reset the reminder for service a/b? My neighbor (retired mechanic) did service but he didn't know how to turn off reminder. Used to be could be reset by pushing in reset button but that doesn't seem to work on 2005.
    I got about 22K out of my rear tires, front ones are still going at 32k. I think I got 6 months out of the tires after the dealer told me to get new ones. Unfortunately I blew one on a hot day in August. I put Continentals back on, not a great idea. I get a wobble to the car especially when cold. I was told that Continentals are referred to as "the square tire" because of the way they ride.
    Three trips to two different dealers finally fixed it. Above the windshield there is a piece of molding that covers the top of the windshield. The clips holding that on were not clipped on properly and the piece was separating from the windshield at high speeds causing a medal creaking. Most likely happened when I had the windshield replaced.
  • ajb723ajb723 Member Posts: 61
    Same problem. I have a 2005 CLK 320. Recently serviced by my local mechanic but he didn't know how to turn off reminder. Did you ever get an answer? BTW, my lease ends in 3 months- might be interested in CLK350- have they made any significant changes?
    I don't know. I am going to be in this boat probably also in around three - five months as I too have 2005 CLK 320. I haven't looked at 350. I thought I might go to BMW due to real lack of quality in MB and nonsense that MB believes their buyers should have to pay for stuff that other dealers include but will probably wind up with 350 (but only as lease - wouldn't want to own one). Still haven't managed to turn of reminder.
  • seasweptseaswept Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone! I recently purchased a certified pre-owned 2008 Mercedes Benz CLK 350. It now has 1600 miles on it. I've noticed that there is a lot of travel in the brake pedal before the brakes engage and it takes quite a bit of pressure to bring the car to a complete stop. My dealer has checked the brakes / braking system twice but can not find anything wrong and said there are no TS bulletins issued on it. I have to say, I don't have a lot of confidence in my brakes. I've owned other Mercedes vehicles along with BMW, Lexus etc, and have never had brake issues. The C280 the dealer gave me as a courtesy vehicle had stronger brakes than my CLK. Has anyone else had a similar issue with their CLK? Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be? I would appreciate any input anyone may have.
  • jmcnamarjmcnamar Member Posts: 2
    Mostly city, some highway driving, Atlanta, GA. Tks in advance. :)
  • cumbajoeycumbajoey Member Posts: 2
    I just leased a 2008 CLK-350 and noticed the same brake travel issue. My prior car was an Acura RL and it stopped on the dime with minimal travel.....although i haven't brought my CLK to the dealership, when i hit the 1000 mile checkup, i'll be sure to mention the brake "issue".

Keep you posted......
  • seasweptseaswept Member Posts: 2
    Hi cumbajoey!

Please let me know what your dealer has to say regarding the brakes. Since my post, I contacted MB about the problem and they basically told me that there have not been any TSB's issued and if there are no TSB's there are no problems and if I don't like the car, trade it in. And that was that. I traded a 2007 Lexus SC 430 in for this Benz and I'm sorry I did. I could bring that car to a stop with one toe, never mind two feet like the Benz.
  • changedchanged Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had a problem with their third brake light (attached to the trunk)? I have a 2006 CLK 350 and brake light had broken off because of deteriorated cheap plastic (twice already). I was just wondering if anyone had the same problem and knows where I can purchase a not so cheap replacement part outside of the dealership. Thanks
    I had it happen to my 2005 CLK Cabriolet. I closed the trunk and it just broke. Glad I don't buy these things -- now leasing 2008. Total crap. If the BMW series 3 convertibles were a little bigger with a bigger trunk, I'd be there in a second with the free maintenance for 4 years.

As to brakes, yeah, they are soft, but they work and I don't feel like leaving it in shop.
  • Christian_JChristian_J Member Posts: 12
    Hey CarMan,
    Do you know what the terms are for balloon financing on a CLK 63 AMG BS? Does MB financial post rates, residuals, fees, etc. on this used car purchase? The car has taken a big hit on the used market over the past 9 months.
    Thanks
  • dhsieh9dhsieh9 Member Posts: 44
    I am interested in purchasing a 2007 CLK 350 that has premium & sport pkg with only 20k miles on it (not to mention it is MB-certified). The MB dealer is eager to unload its lease return inventory and offers me a well-below KKB price. I am close in making the final purchase decision. However, the only 2 things that hanging behind my head are
    (1) Reliability - MB has been notorious in the last few years in this regard for most their cars. I did check the latest 2009 Consumer Report Annual Auto Issue and to my surprise, it actually rates 2007 CLK as above average. I am not exactly sure how to make out this favorable rating.
    (2) Performance - I currently own a 2008 Porsche Cayman S and am used to its precision handling/performance. As a result, I might be misguided in judging this CLK since it feels somewhat numb and slow. This may not be a fair comparison since CLK is more of a touring coupe than a pure sport car.
    Nonetheless, I would like hear what the current 2007 & 2008 CLK owners have to say about their cars.
  • lorinj3lorinj3 Member Posts: 1
    I will be leasing either of the two cars within the month. I have test driven both, and am doing research. Has anyone owned both models in the past? Any current CLK drivers that can comment on their experience with the car? BMW owners? The one comment that I always come across is, go for Mercedes for luxury and comfort and go for BMW for more spirited driving. This is a tough decision as lease offers for both are right in line. Haven't seen that in the past - bascially due to the new MB E coming out in 2010.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
    I also posted a similar msg right before you about my interest in 2007 CLK-350. After extensive research and comparison, I have reached the following conclusions:

(1) MB CLK-350 has rather poor resale value as compared to a comparable Bimmer 328 coupe. I believe this is mostly due to the bad reliability record reported by Consumer Report magazine in recent years even though MB has made some progress in late models.
    (2) The interior materials used in CLK are relatively cheap. This is not to mention that its engine, including most MB models, emits a constant pulsing noise from the purge valve for recycling the exhaust. According to my local dealer mechanic, he said that is a normal noise that you have live with. What a crap coming from MB if you ask my opinion!
    (3) Even though the CLK-350 has 260+ HP (or 40+ more HP than 328), it feels lethargic and the steering is numb comparing to the 328 coupe.
    (4) The CLK-350 fuel economy is rated at city/freeway 17/25 while the 328 is 19/28 mpg.

So the bottom line is that the 328i out runs, out corners CLK with better fuel economy and has higher quality interior. The only area where the CLK outshines 328 is its cabin space and comfort. If I care about them, I would simply buy a sport sedan instead of coupe.
  • mean_porschemean_porsche Member Posts: 2
    Donovan,
    I think you are misguided if you are comparing a Porshe Cayman to a Benz CLK. I have both, a 2007 Cayman (non-S) w/ 19 inch wheels, and a 2007 CLK350 cabriolet, 25000 miles/premium sport pkg ;-) . The CLK drives like a pillow after getting out of the Cayman even with the CLK in "S" mode! Also, the Cayman is a mid-engine sports car which create a huge difference on handling/performance/grip! This is not to say the performance of the CLK is not good, but this is not apples to apples. Finally, although very smooth, the 7 speed transmission in the CLK creates some hesitation on agressive acceleration (as if the car has to think of what gear it is in). However, I must say that the CLK is fun to drive once you get use to it, but it is very weighty on the front end and braking cannot compare to the mid-engine Porsche. With respect to reliability, I rate both very high. I've also owned the MB 300D, C220, ML320, and ML350 with no problems that MB did not take immediate action to fix and MB road service is second to none! So for a smooth sporty-luxury ride, I take the CLK, but for agressive/performance driving, I opt for the Cayman! Oh yeah, and don't forget the head turns...my Cayman wins that one 8 out of 10 times!
    Maybe this is not the right forum to continue this thread, I end up buying a 2007 Bimmer 328 coupe as my everyday car over the MB CLk 350 (Cayman is my weekend joy ride) since the performance gap between Cayman & CLk is simply too wide in my opinion. Nonetheless if it is my wife's decision, she would definitely go for the CLK since it is drop-dead gorgeous.

Another observation I have is that the Bimmer is simply amazing for everyday use. It seats 4 and the back seat space is pretty decent. Its suspension is not as hard and stiff as Porsche. Even with its front engine/read drive, it manages to deliver so much fun. I am really happy to own these 2 cars since they give me a perfect balance between everyday use & weekend drive.
  • tiny8tiny8 Member Posts: 1
    Hey there, I read about these on another site. Has anyone installed them? If so, what are the pros and cons? Heard that the acceleration is much better and adds approx. 40 hp.
  • gia5gia5 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if there is a narrower MB than the CLK? The 350 Coupe is 68.5" Wide.
    Are there any other models narrower than 68"?
    Many thanks,
    MJ
  • mbfrankmbfrank Member Posts: 1
    Hi all...I just bought a new 2009 CLK 350 Grand Edition and i have a wierd problem.I start the car up and drive for awhile then park it...after the car sits for a few hours and i start the car up and the engine make a knocking sound for a few seconds then goes away.This is the only time i here the noise.The dealer is telling me do not worry about it and MB knows about this from other cars with the same problem but they do not have a fix yet.Does anyone else seem to have this problem.What could it be?Should i just return the car because i think there is a engine problem and do not want to have a new car that they might have to do major work to.Thank you and have a great day!
  • vinnyg713vinnyg713 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just purchased a Certified 2007 CLK 350 with 18,500 mi. My factory warranty will expire in the middle of 2011. I am interested in purchasing an additional 2year Mercedes Warranty, however my dealer quoted me a price of #1,999.... The price seems a little high... Does anyone have any feeling on this price or on a good Warranty program..

Thanks
  • vinsuzvinsuz Member Posts: 13
    Hey Vinny, Vinnie here! I just bought a certified '07 CLK 550 and I bought the MB extended warranty for $2k (I wrapped it into the 1.9% financing). I bought the cabriolet and figured the warranty was worth the price. My brother-in-law had to replace an HID light on his X5 and it cost $400!! I've seen several forum posts about replacing oxygen sensors on CLKs; I don't know how much that costs, but I'm sure it's not cheap.

As this is my first MB, $2k is worth the peace of mind for me.

Vinnie
  • steve33981steve33981 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone offer suggestions on installing my XM Sat Radio into my '06 CLK350? I am unable to locate an antenna adapter to mate the two together.