Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 300ZX

Comments

• my_300my_300 Member Posts: 2
    BINGO!! found the problem. it was only the lead from the coil to the dizzy
  • csmileycsmiley Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1988 300ZX and the headlights flip up but will not flip down. I replaced the motors and same problem. n Does anyone have any answers?
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Are we seeing an uptick in interest in the '84-'89 generation Zs in the marketplace?
  • slidewayz85slidewayz85 Member Posts: 1
    i bought my '93 non turbo 300zx a month ago and it was basically problem free and is now going thru some things....i was wondering if anyone could offer any words of wisdom....when starting theres a loud noise, it almost sounds like a grinding you get from a missed shift or something and it comes from the driver's side of the front end...i've read a few things about faulty fuel injectors in this model and i was wondering if that could be it or if anyone has had this problem...im really looking for answers and help because i know how expensive things can get with this car and i dont want to cause anymore damage.....
  • steve86zxsteve86zx Member Posts: 4
    Claires,

Thanks for the heads up regarding the other group. I've been busy and have not had a chance check back in or reply. I have everything fixed. The blower problem was a voltage controlled resistor between the blower motor and the ground. It is $140 at the dealer. I have a temporary fix. I bypassed the resistor and ran wire to ground on one the mounting bolts. Now the blower start when I start the car. I went ahead and flushed the system then converted to R134.

Also fixed the electric window buttons. The factory said they wanted $228 for a replacement so I opened them up and cleaned the contacts with a strip of 400 sand paper. Now they work like new.

Steve
  • jkcizbckjkcizbck Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I need something cleared up about at 1990 300zx, 2 seat non-turbo. I need to know whether these cars use distributor caps or something else. I have a dead cylinder or so i suspect and i need to track the ignition wire from the number 3 coil back to either the distributor rotor or whatever there is in its place. Please Help! Thanks!
  • jamzjamz Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 1984 300ZX turbo for a project car. the turbo in it is blown, what other turbos will fit. i'm looking for something cheep. any information would be helpful. thank you.
  • rudymrudym Member Posts: 1
    :) im trying to tune up my 1987 non turboed 300zx, andyone want to give me some ideas of what i could do?
  • anthn899anthn899 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 Nissan 300ZX non turbo and for some reason I cannot get any ignition coil pack in the number 4 cylinder to work i have tried changing it and changing the spark plug but i can't get it to work anyone with any advice on what to do please help me..... thank you. :mad:
  • zsforeverzsforever Member Posts: 3
    I have an 86 300zx turbo and it runs very rich.I have tried another ecm, mass air flow sensor,temp sensor,won't idle and bucks around when driven.I have heard that the injectors on these can somtimes be a problem but not sure if this is the case or not. also was wonderin what is a dizzy and could this be a problem? just grabbin at straws here any sugestions would be a great help. thanks :confuse:
  • skilman31skilman31 Member Posts: 5
    I would make sure that ur computer isnt in dionastic mode that happened to me when i first got my 84Z and my car wouldnt turn at all so check ur computer in ur car see if that is the problem or see if ur computer is putting out any codes it might be an electrical problem.
  • kyc87nazkyc87naz Member Posts: 1
    spark plugs & wires, cap & rotors , oil change , transmission change, coolant change, diff. change,air filter, fuel filter
    this about it
    i have own 2 300zx
    85 non turbo auto , 87 non turbo 5speed
    and i own maxima, 240sx ( two of them) 89 & 96
  • crew93ttcrew93tt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93TT. I brought the ar with upgrades (larger inter cooler, stillen exhaust, boost controller, apex airflow converter, ECU upgrade) I took it to get a state inspection and found out that the cats are removed. My Z is a strong running car but I am having the following problems with it: It's smoking when I first crank it. After it warms up, the smoke clears up. Sometimes When I come to a stop, it smokes. As long as I am doing a constant set speed, it does not smoke. When i get on it or down shift, I get a puff of smoke. The smoke appears to be white to very light gray. When in neutral, I sometimes get a spike in high idle (Appx 12-1500RPM). When it idles high I get smoke. If any of you all have had or heard of this problem, please assist
  • unknown300zxunknown300zx Member Posts: 2
    hey there, yes i have the same problem with my 91zx n/a 2seater, however i get vibration right around 10 mph, the car shake's as if it has something to do with the driveshaft or something. sounds like its coming from the rear, or center concel. the car has a rebuilt transmission and droped a 40k mile motor in it about a month ago. practicly everything on this car is new.. anyways i replaced the driveshaft bearing support and i get under the car and nothing seems to be wrong.. i tried driving to the speed of virbration and throwing the car in Nutral and still vibrates.. its been a huge headache after putting in so much money. i was wondering if it could be a faulty wire or anykind of electical problem.. if anyone has any kind of info please let me know, i'd be most appreciated! thanks
  • skilman31skilman31 Member Posts: 5
    Well my car has a very hard time starting for example when i wake up for work in the morning to go start some times it will idle a little and then it will stall! and then if u let it run for about 2 to 3 min it idles just fine but it still has a lack of power ? Do u have a clue what it can be
    ? So far i have replaced the Fuel pressure regulator. and checked the comp for codes and it didnt give out any? Plus all of the fuel pressure is right in it ? So if u have a idia of what it can be let me know please ! thanks

oh and i have a 84 300zx with automatic trany and the turbo in it! Thanks for any answers or advice that u may have !!
  • dutremdutrem Member Posts: 1
    I need to find one to make my air and heater blower work nissan stoped making them please any input would be helpfull
  • unknown300zxunknown300zx Member Posts: 2
    well i figure'd out my own problem, i just went and took off the whole driveshaft and found out 1 of my U-joints was froze.. i guess sometimes you just gotta take everything apart little by little to find the solution. posting this just incase it can help another.. good luck with the Z's
  • coach5coach5 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 86 300zx non turbo.Problem; upon starting car will go as long as accelerating but the moment you back off it dies and will noy crank much less run. mass air flow sensor has been replaced,idle up solenoid , plugs and wires, computer, fuel injectors. 2 different mechanics have called me to come get this demonic car ! Someone please help!!
  • wildman91wildman91 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 91 300Zx. I have recently lost power to the A/C, windshield wipers, power mirrors, and the rear window defroster. Has anybody had this problem before?
  • srkazemsrkazem Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: When I drive for a long time, about 40 min. the oil temp goes past half way mark and then my car overheats. I have to pull over to let it cool down. how can i get a cooler running temp.

I have a 84 300zx turbo.
  • tr_1890tr_1890 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    I have a 1991 300zx N/A. my engine is bad and needs to be replaced so imp thinking of installing a twin turbo engine and trans from another 300zxtt.
    Can I do that? And if I can I want to install a bigger turbo any advice or recommendations???

Thanks for helping.
  • sierra54sierra54 Member Posts: 1
    Ive been toying with a similar problem that you had with your 300zx. I was just curious if you found a solution to your problem because i have not. My car seems like it has a lack of power so i replaced the battery.. no good. Also i changed the fuel presssure regulator also no good. Do you have any suggestions Im running out of options n i would HATE to take to nissan.
  • nac300zxnac300zx Member Posts: 1
    sorry guys new to the site and cant figure out how to post a new question so i figured i would just reply to another and hope to get an answer. I have a 1994 300zx and am experiencing alot of steering wheel shaking at speeds over 60mph and during breaking, any idea what it may be. I just had the tires balanced about a month ago, is it possible the weight may have fallen off??
  • ts1508ts1508 Member Posts: 2
    I have a non turbo 92 350zx I spayed engine de-greaser and water on my motor today when I drove it a while later the motor started missing and had a loss of power it seems to to idle a little rough also. I think maybe I got somthing electrical wet maybe distribution system not really sure any help, suggestions, tips, or help would be great thanks
  • 84_300zx84_300zx Member Posts: 5
    i got a 1984 300 zx non turbo and i cant get it to rev up past 2500 rpm. It idals good and runs great tell it gets to 2500 rpm then it seems like the fuel system suts down or somithing. was wondering if anyone can help thanks
  • goathead1goathead1 Member Posts: 2
    Basically, the clutch is messed up. It was working fine up until it just stuck in place. I bleed the fluid and made sure there were no air pockets in the fluid line but that didnt work. Now the clutch bar acts like it has a suction in the line and no longer compresses. Help?
  • goathead1goathead1 Member Posts: 2
    try cleaning the spark plugs.
    ok i will try that tonight and get back with ya to let ya know if it worked tnx
  • sk8ordie778sk8ordie778 Member Posts: 1
    I was curious if anyone knew if the engine bays of the
    300zx +2 and the 300zxTT were the same size. Because Im thinking of swapping a japanese 300zxTT into a 300zx +2 does anyone know if this is possible?
    :( cleaning the spark plugs didnt work think it might be the cat
    Hay i think it was the mass air flow senser what is the interchange on them. found some on ebay but need to know if a turbo and a N/A one will interchange
  • dmartin_1dmartin_1 Member Posts: 6
    Mine cuts out at 2500 also Ive replaced MAF ,Fuel pump ,fuel filter.Air breather pulled cat.It idel real nice up to 2500 RPm :sick: link">
    i need an engine wiring harness for my car anyone got any ideas
  • photoman07photoman07 Member Posts: 1
    HELLO THIS IS NOW HAPPENING TO ME, I HAVE A 1990 TT 300ZX,
    I UPGRADED THE INTERCOOLER AND HARDPIPES, NOW THE CAR SMOKES ALOT SMELLS LIKE OIL, FRIEND TOLD ME THE CHANGES MUST HAVE CHANGE THE OIL SENSOR , I AM GOING TO HAVE ALL CHECK OUT BUT I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL APRIL..WHEN I AM WORKING
  • jabrojabro Member Posts: 1
    I usually check the local salvage yards for parts.
    E bay motors under parts is where I find parts for mine
    Where can I find paint number for my 1985 300zx turbo coupe? and how do I decode it? danny
  • the503girlthe503girl Member Posts: 1
    I read in my car manual that if the oil psi gauge on the instrument panel goes below the normal range it can effect the engine badly, my oil psi gauge goes all the way to 0 (way below the normal range) after I drive it for about 10 minutes, does anyone know what causes this and what I can do to fix it? any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    ecu is in Limp mode or also called safe mode. Check your ECU codes and fix the problem reset your ECU and it will run fine ;)
  • jtsandejtsande Member Posts: 4
    Can just about guarantee (based on personal experience) that you have a bad oil pressure sending unit. I've replaced it twice on my 1990 300ZX when it exhibited the exact symptoms yo describe. It costs new around $100 and only takes 5-10 minutes to install.
  • gunfighter64gunfighter64 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 300ZX turbo 5sp anniversry edition. I can not get it to start. I have good fuel flow. I have power going from the starter to the coil, but no power from the coil to the distributer. I swaped out the coil, no change. The car turns over, no spark. Is this a ECU problem?- I am really frustrated.
    Thanks
  • pballardpballard Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody no where fuel injector connectors or aftermarket wiring harness can be purchased?
  • chaise27chaise27 Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: Hello, im about to buy the car, but its "lost power" and the engine is knocking. the knocking gets louder with the RPM. Can anyone steer me right direction please? The trans is fine. :cry:image
  • 86_300z86_300z Member Posts: 1
    What exactly is the difference in a 2+2 and a regular 300?
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    2+2 refers to the number of seats. Therefore a 2+2 has a small back seat for a total passenger capability of 4 people. The rear seats are OK for a child but are too small for an adult to ride comfortably. I am 5'10" and I could cram myself in there in an emergency but only for a few miles. A "regular" 300 only has a driver and a passenger seat. (I have an 86 300zx 2+2 non-turbo)
  • krisandkrisand Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 300ZX Turbo with BBS Wheels on it. I need to replace the front drivers side and am having no luck in locating. The information on the wheel is as follows:

numbers on the rim are BT 220 / 8J x 17H2 / ET35
    says "moda sport" on the rim, and just "moda" on the center

The only information I have been able to find out is that this was a private label made for Tire Rack.

If anyone could point me in any direction to try to find this wheel, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • unc123unc123 Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy a 300ZX. What should i pay? I used to have an automatic about 8 years ago. Now i am looking into a 93 twin turbo 5 speed with 65000 miles. Very clean, but what should i pay? Kelly Blue Book values the cra at only $8,000, but this guy wants 13,500?? What do they go for now? Is this a fair deal?
  • shaun420shaun420 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 84' 300zx 5spd 2+2(i wrecked it so body/frame no good motor just rebuilt)& also have a 89' 240 sx(body in good condition no engine) so my question is is it possible for me to put the motor and transmission from the 300zx into the 240sx????
  • tibal25tibal25 Member Posts: 1
    I am also looking for a 300ZX tt and feel that all these dealers want too much. As stated the blue book is around 8000 but 15K thats way too much for a 90-95 with almost 100K miles. Can someone assist me and tell me anything they may know about finding a zx TT! im located in Ma. Thanks Everyone!
  • schittonuschittonu Member Posts: 3
    300zxparts.com