Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Are original warranties valid to 2nd owner?

shane1vshane1v Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Pontiac
I am looking for a late model vehicle(02-04), likely a Pontiac, Toyota, Hyundai or Honda.
Do the original new car warranties stay in effect for the full warranty period for the new owner?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    I can only answer for my GM vehicles warranties (never read my Chrysler booklet), but yes they follow the car and would be good for any number of owners up to their expiration time/mileage. If the warranty book that comes with the car is missing or the delivery date isn't filled out, you should be able to call a dealer and get the delivery/start of warranty date. Good luck.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    The Honda original warranty is 3 years / 36K, and goes with the vehicle.

If there is an extended warranty (they go up to 100K / 7 years), it can be transferred to a new owner for a nominal fee. However, it belongs to the owner, who can cash it in instead of transferring to the new owner.
  • Options
    shane1vshane1v Member Posts: 11
    Thank you!

Any idea if the hyundai(thinking Tucson) follows a new owner? i read that if bought used, the hyundai warranty is different..
    Thannx!
  • Options
    gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    The bumper to bumper warranty transfers but the 10 year 100k power train will not transfer.
  • Options
    icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    What about Nissan? I have an 01 Altima, build date of May 2001 and it has 37K miles. The power train warranty should be goog through May 2006 or 60K miles, whichever comes first, right?
  • Options
    spag527spag527 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 2001 C240 Mercedes with 52000. Would anyone know if there is any kind of warranty with this vehicle?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Best thing is to get it right from the horse's mouth. Bring your VIN # to your Mercedes dealer and they will have all the info on computer as to what your warranty rights are at this time.
  • Options
    prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    When I purchased my pre-owned '96 RL, the car had 36K, but the four-year period had already expired, so the basic 4/50 warranty was no good. However, there was a seven year/100K miles extended warranty which followed. During the remaining time, I put on 50K of mileage and there was one item repaired under the extended warranty, an oxygen sensor which went bad. All other service involved wear-and-tear items, or occurred after the extended warranty expired (rear window motors, radiator).

My 2001 Odyssey EX (3/36 basic) had the power sliding door motors replaced under the basic warranty and the power window motors (driver/passenger) replaced under the extended warranty (6 yr./100K). We're at 73K miles after 50 mos.

In 1994, I sold my '91 Legend LS to a client. At the time, it had a shade over 52K miles after three years. The 7 yr./100K extended warranty was transferred to him for a $50 fee. Along with that form was submitted the complete service record showing all service done on a timely manner. This was supplied by the dealer.

The way my client looked at it, he got a 4 yr./47K+ warranty on a used Legend, almost as long as the basic 4 yr./50K warranty on a new one.

In Aug. 2002, I purchased a pre-owned 2001 Integra for my daughter. It had 12K miles with 3 yrs./38K miles remaining on the basic warranty. Because it was a CPO vehicle, another 12 months and 12K miles were added, making it a 4 yr./50K warranty, the same as a new Acura.
  • Options
    tgreenetgreene Member Posts: 1
    I am going to purchase a 2002 RX 300 w/ 30,000 miles from a private party. The seller tells me that the warranty will transfer to me. Is that the case or does the vehicle have to be "certified" by a Lexus dealer?
  • Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ..... Did you run a Carsmack on it ...?

What's the original "in service date" ...........?

Terry.
  • Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi tgreene. Whatever is left of your vehicle's original factory warranty will transfer to you if you choose to purchase this truck. The 2006 RX 330 comes with a 4 yr. / 50,000 mi. basic warranty and a 6 yr. / 70,000 mi. powertrain warranty. I believe, but am not absolutely positive, that this was the coverage that was offered on the 2002 model as well.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
This discussion has been closed.